Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Matthew Broderick turned down 'Breaking Bad'

Everyone loves Bryan Cranston, and I think he is good in the lead role, but Broderick would have been great.

by Anonymousreply 2808/18/2013

No.

by Anonymousreply 106/11/2013

don't agree OP. Cranston brings a hardness that Matt B doesn't have.

by Anonymousreply 206/11/2013

The guy who served zero time 0r consequences for murdering a mother and a daughter And now pretends it never even happened?

No thanks. The less we see of him the better. or his fugly poney-faced wife.

I guess his karma was sjpee!! lol

by Anonymousreply 406/11/2013

Oh come on, R4. He faced consequences -- a fine of $175.

by Anonymousreply 506/11/2013

true, r5.. I hope the family of those women take comfort in the fact that he has no career and an ugly as all sin wife.

by Anonymousreply 606/11/2013

Okay, R3 got a good chuckle out of me.

I don't think Broderick has the gravitas for a role like Walter White. He would have ably depicted the arrogance and pettiness of the character, but I seriously doubt he would have created any threat. Cranston has had scenes where he was truly terrifying.

I used to love Matthew when I was a teenager, and I've seen an awful lot of his movies over the years, but I always knew he was a lightweight in the dramatic world.

Plus, he just doesn't look the part. Too boyish, still, and can you even imagine him as the bald and Van Dyke sporting monster the character evolves into?

by Anonymousreply 706/11/2013

I guess if you think about it, casting Cranston was a similar move. Well-liked comedy actor in a dark, dramatic role. Smart move. But Cranston, unlike Broderick, has other, untapped layers to exploit. I don't think I've ever seen Broderick do anything but the one thing Broderick does. Even when given a chance,

by Anonymousreply 806/11/2013

[quote]I guess if you think about it, casting Cranston was a similar move.

That's kind of my thinking. Cranston was best known as the goofy dad on Malcolm in the Middle and the goofy dentist on Seinfeld. Broderick, at least at that time, had broader range.

I would have liked to have seen him in the Walter White role.

by Anonymousreply 906/11/2013

Broderick seems to have lost the ability to act (and the will to live.) He always seems depressed. Horse allergies I bet.

by Anonymousreply 1006/11/2013

I have to agree. While Cranston is absolutely perfect in the role, I think Broderick could have pulled it off. Broderick CAN do drama, and in my opinion, he does it well. No one seems to know that he's done quite a bit of drama because they're mostly indie or lesser known movies.

I saw one of his more recent indie drama roles, and his performance honestly blew me away. I was surprised. It was nothing like any character he's ever played before. He has this very unique presence that can somehow be both loud and subdued. And he's crazy good at being intensely quiet. Broderick's persona would have taken Walter White in a different direction, but I can still see him pulling it off.

by Anonymousreply 1106/11/2013

The horse woman probably wouldn't let him work in LA.

by Anonymousreply 1206/11/2013

[quote]The horse woman probably wouldn't let him work in LA.

I was wondering the same thing. The series is shot in fabulous Albuquerque, New Mexico. SJP might have given a huge neigh to that idea.

by Anonymousreply 1306/12/2013

Why is this such news? Almost every role being played in movies and tv are offered to other people in the initial stages. Unless you are A elite status and roles are written for you specifically, this is the way the business works. Imo, Broderick would have been good in the role too, but it all turned out for the best.

by Anonymousreply 1408/17/2013

[quote]I don't think I've ever seen Broderick do anything but the one thing Broderick does

Election.

[quote]Why is this such news? Almost every role being played in movies and tv are offered to other people in the initial stages.

That doesn't mean it isn't interesting to learn who was offered the role first.

by Anonymousreply 1508/18/2013

I don't know if he would've been able to pull it off or not, but I probably wouldn't have given it a chance if he was in it. I've never liked him or understood his marginal success. He's not cute or charming in any way.

by Anonymousreply 1608/18/2013

I thought Vince Gilligan always had Bryan Cranston in mind for the role. He'd worked with him before in one of his X-File episodes and thought he was the guy for the role of Walter White. It is possible the network or studio might have considered Broderick.

by Anonymousreply 1708/18/2013

R15 Seconding "Election".

by Anonymousreply 1808/18/2013

[quote]don't agree OP. Cranston brings a hardness that Matt B doesn't have.

Did someone say "harness"?

by Anonymousreply 1908/18/2013

I agree with R16. I thought casting Cranston was an interesting choice and I wanted to see what he would do with the role. He's a very versatile actor who can do almost anything.

I never would have bothered to watch Matthew Broderick. He's always Matthew Broderick.

by Anonymousreply 2008/18/2013

I can't say who I am, but OP is lying. I was the one who was offered the role, but my schedule...

by Anonymousreply 2108/18/2013

People forget how versatile Matthew can be.

by Anonymousreply 2208/18/2013

Sarah's beard is a horrible flat uninteresting actor. Show would have been cancelled out of the gate.

by Anonymousreply 2308/18/2013

MB is NOT easy on the eyes these days. At least Cranston has an interestingly weathered look/character-actor face. Broderick just looks puffy and dissipated. Is he a drunk?

by Anonymousreply 2408/18/2013

I couldn't buy into his interpretation of Harold Hill...so I hardly think he could've pulled this one off.

by Anonymousreply 2508/18/2013

[quote]Sarah's beard is a horrible flat uninteresting actor

Merkin?

by Anonymousreply 2608/18/2013

Broderick just seems like a mess. Pudgy and out of shape during his last musical (I really don't know how he could dance around a stage 8x a week for a year and not lose any weight) and has had trouble remembering lines for other shows. I'm surprised he ever recovered from that dreadful Odd Couple revival with Lane.

He does still have some appeal for certain audiences but I really don't think he could have pulled off Breaking Bad. Best to stick him in a sitcom a la Two and a Half Men.

by Anonymousreply 2708/18/2013

Link?

by Anonymousreply 2808/18/2013
Need more help? Click Here.