Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What are some people or things popular in New Zealand, Australia and England but aren't in America?

I was wondering about this. Kylie Minogue seems very popular in Australia but no one knows who she is in America. I mean seriously I didn't even know who Minogue was. I thought she was just some nobody that no one really knows about but when I googled her, she had quite the fanbase.

Also another observation: everything popular in the United States is bound to be popular in England and Australia no matter how bad or crappy the things is. Anything and everything America likes or dislikes, the rest of the world follows. If say, children in the United States stabbed themselves with a knife as a tradition on their birthday. There's bound to be English children or Canadian children who will do that as well.

by Anonymousreply 9206/14/2013

by Anonymousreply 106/11/2013

Now you know that's not true R1.

by Anonymousreply 206/11/2013

Kippered Herrings.

Black Pudding (retch!).

by Anonymousreply 306/11/2013

Marmite indeed, & the Aussie equivalent Vegemite. I can't stand either of them enough to make direct comparisons & find them equally vile.

by Anonymousreply 406/11/2013

by Anonymousreply 506/11/2013

Robbie Williams

by Anonymousreply 606/11/2013

Pavlova -- big in Oz and NZ; here barely known.

I love it and wish I had some right now!

by Anonymousreply 706/11/2013

by Anonymousreply 806/11/2013

[quote]Anything and everything America likes or dislikes, the rest of the world follows.

With the exception of country music. That's virtually none existent here.

by Anonymousreply 906/11/2013

[quote]Kylie Minogue seems very popular in Australia but no one knows who she is in America.

by Anonymousreply 1006/11/2013

There are plenty of things and people who are famous and popular in the US and nowhere else.

by Anonymousreply 1106/11/2013

I'm sure they have no idea who Donald Trump is in NZ, nor do they care.

And country music must be popular in Australia or else Keith Urban would not have had a career.

by Anonymousreply 1206/11/2013

Exactly R11. OP, you're wrong to assume that everything the US does is popular everywhere else. There's a ton of shit music that never crosses over. A lot of US cultural offerings are a triumph of promotion and distribution over content.

The US does excel at groundbreaking television drama.

by Anonymousreply 1306/11/2013

There are a lot of major stars in the UK who never cross over. I've always assumed there were US stars that are not popular in the UK. Common sense disagrees with OP's contention that " everything popular in the United States is bound to be popular in England and Australia no matter how bad or crappy the things is."

by Anonymousreply 1406/11/2013

r2, a bump is always true.

by Anonymousreply 1506/11/2013

One of the rare occasions when I want to break out into a chant of U-S-A! U-S-A!

by Anonymousreply 1606/11/2013

Also OP, there's a lot of great American music that isn't at all popular in the US that is popular in other parts of the world. Cultural hegemony cuts both ways.

by Anonymousreply 1706/11/2013

Bovril!! The beef tea!

by Anonymousreply 1806/11/2013

The music currently popular in the USA, is brain rot. Europeans have much better tastes in music.

by Anonymousreply 1906/11/2013

NZer here - it isn't true that anything in the US is popular elsewhere. We don't like the music, the food and a lot of other things from the US. We take on more UK stuff than US (including music) and I think you'll find the same for all of Oceania/Australasia.

by Anonymousreply 2006/11/2013

Tim Tams

by Anonymousreply 2106/11/2013

Dr. Who

by Anonymousreply 2206/11/2013

Halloween hasn't really taken off. Each year a few people try to get it going but apart from the odd Halloween-themed party, it's not a major thing.

by Anonymousreply 2306/11/2013

You can get Tim Tams in the U.S. now, but the recipe has been "tweaked" for the American market and they fucking suck. Just like with Nutella. I used to have relatives bring boxes back from NZ and Australia before I found they were now carrying the originals at Cost Plus.

by Anonymousreply 2406/11/2013

Dame Edna. I had no idea who this was until I saw it linked on Datalounge by one of those Empire persons.'

by Anonymousreply 2506/11/2013

R23, what are you talking about? Halloween is very popular in America.

by Anonymousreply 2606/11/2013

Internet lounges. Seems like they are everywhere but America.

by Anonymousreply 2706/11/2013

by Anonymousreply 2806/11/2013

The metric system

by Anonymousreply 2906/11/2013

Edward Snowden

by Anonymousreply 3006/12/2013

I forget what it's called, but it's some kind of sponge cake with chocolate or jelly and coconut, I think.

Too lazy to google.

by Anonymousreply 3106/12/2013

jaffa cake?

by Anonymousreply 3206/12/2013

r31 Lamingtons

by Anonymousreply 3306/12/2013

No, I don't think so. I thought jaffa cakes were more cookie-like. Am I wrong?

by Anonymousreply 3406/12/2013

R7, I make killer pavlova, especially when there are seasonal fresh fruits, like now.

I have had a subscription to Delicious since it was available in the U.S. The availability of fresh seafood, fruits and vegetables always makes me hungry.

by Anonymousreply 3506/12/2013

Nutella on a warm biscuit, with Earl Gray tea.

by Anonymousreply 3606/12/2013

YES, R33! Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 3706/12/2013

Kylie is moderately known in the US, but outside of there she has a level of fame on virtually on par with any other pop star (Madonna, Janet etc). She has sold around 70 million albums during her career which is impressive when you consider that she's only sold about 1 million in the US (a huge market).

I'm a big Kylie fan but do admit that she's not exactly aging gracefully at the moment, and needs to change the direction of her music if she still wants to be relevant.

by Anonymousreply 3806/12/2013

Just look at gay stuff. The fantastic series Rock Follies with our own Countess Rula Lenska, and written by a gay man, featured a totally normal and cool gay guy who would tongue kiss back in bloody 1976!!!! It screened in the UK and Commonwealth countries in prime time. Tell me if a passionate french kissing scene between gay man has yet to screen on US network tv in prime time?

American snack food is pretty awful and has never caught on. Hersheys has tried repeatedly to make a dent but the brown salted fat it terms chocolate is so dreadful it couldn't compete.

by Anonymousreply 3906/12/2013

Julian Clary. Household name in UK and big hit in Oz & NZ, but totally unknown in US, including in gay community - for want of a better term.

by Anonymousreply 4006/12/2013

Sam Sparro

by Anonymousreply 4106/12/2013

by Anonymousreply 4206/12/2013

Naomi Watts.

by Anonymousreply 4306/12/2013

Don't know if they have them in the UK or AUS, but a Kiwi friend gave me Pineapple lumps and I swear I could eat those little motherfuckers all day.

by Anonymousreply 4406/12/2013

by Anonymousreply 4506/12/2013

I moved from the USA to the UK in the mid-2000s. Before I moved back to the States several years ago, I learned there are scores of homegrown British celebrities who get tons of press and are unheard of in the USA. I'd pick up a glossy magazine to find it full of domestic celebs like Kerry Katona, Katie Price, Jade Goody, Girls Aloud, former Blue members, former Take That members, The Saturdays, Peter Andre, Will Young, Jeff Brazier, Vinnie Jones, Myleene Klaas, some TV woman called Davina...Some "zelebs" you can avoid by steering clear of the gutter press, others are covered more widely.

Sometimes I'd be reading legitimate newspapers and suddenly find myself reading about the lives and opinions of people like Chris Moyles and Ferne Cotton. Who are these people, I wondered for the longest time, until I finally figured out that they are DJs on the radio. They "present" music on the radio and are granted celebrity status for this.

I don't know if Australia and NZ have the same kind of overheated local celeb culture as the UK.

I did notice that the UK gossip columnists followed all the minor US celebrities like Paris Hilton, whereas the USA had no interest in the British equivalents (Tara Palmer-Tomkinson for Paris, maybe?).

by Anonymousreply 4606/12/2013

strength of character, kindness and compassion are quite big in NZ, Oz and the Uk. They seem very unpopular in America.

by Anonymousreply 4706/12/2013

Going off on a tangent here, but I'm too poor to start threads...

Why aren't there any French musical acts from the past (what, thirty to fifty years?) known in the U.S.?

Did they not rock at all? What was there deal?

by Anonymousreply 4806/12/2013

Is the South Island no longer part of NZ, R47?

by Anonymousreply 4906/12/2013

Universal healthcare

Gun control

by Anonymousreply 5006/12/2013

The names Nigel, Niles*, Hugh, Rupert. I've never met an American with those names.

by Anonymousreply 5106/12/2013

Why do Americans mispronounce the name Hugh all the time - It's supposed to be Hugh with an "H", but it's always mispronounced as "Yew". The same way the "Graham" is mispronounced as "Gram".

by Anonymousreply 5206/12/2013

R52, I'm American and have a good friend named Hugh. I have never heard anyone mispronounce his name.

However, I know a woman named Yvonne and another named Yvette and nobody pronounces their names correctly.

by Anonymousreply 5306/12/2013

ooo, where do you live, r35?

I'm coming over with some fresh fruit so you can teach me how to make it!

by Anonymousreply 5406/12/2013

r12 Keith Urban is a New Zealander

by Anonymousreply 5506/12/2013

R52 is onto something. The letter H is more popular outside the US.

Also: the theory of evolution.

by Anonymousreply 5606/12/2013

NZer here. Country music is almost non existent. However we are happy to claim Keith Urban but bloody glad that we don't have to claim Leann Rimes

PS - foreskins have made a comeback down under!!

by Anonymousreply 5706/12/2013

Good ones, R45 and R50.

Jaffa cakes are English. Lamingtons are Australian.

Another one: passionfruit. I believe it's only eaten by Australians and New Zealands - on pavlovas, in fruit salad, in cake icing, etc.

And: great coffee. Australia and NZ have many great cafes with properly prepared coffee (not the gross stuff served up by Starbucks). Have only had as good coffee in Italy and Israel. US and UK still lag way behind, but better than they used to be.

We Australians have are own crappy celebrities that most others have never heard of. We also have plenty of good and not so good actors, and music performers probably no one has heard of outside of Oz apart from maybe the Kiwis.

by Anonymousreply 5806/12/2013

r48, no, they did not rock at all. European (as in continental Europe) popular music from that time period in general was mindless pap. There are a few exceptions but not enough to create a huge popular market for the music. There were no French Rolling Stones, no Italian Beatles, no Spanish Aretha Franklin or Bob Dylan. For whatever reason, it just didn't happen.

Again, there are a few exceptions and some wonderful artists from the period, but it just never became a force in world music.

by Anonymousreply 5906/12/2013

Bears repeating: Rugby.

It's a sin that it isn't more popular here if only to have the All Blacks play matches in the US.

by Anonymousreply 6006/12/2013

Country Music is American Music R57. Foreigners like Urban are discouraged.

by Anonymousreply 6106/12/2013

The All Blacks haka moves me to tears.

by Anonymousreply 6206/12/2013

by Anonymousreply 6306/12/2013

[quote]The fantastic series Rock Follies with our own Countess Rula Lenska, and written by a gay man, featured a totally normal and cool gay guy who would tongue kiss back in bloody 1976!!!! It screened in the UK and Commonwealth countries in prime time. Tell me if a passionate french kissing scene between gay man has yet to screen on US network tv in prime time?

Australia had a soap called "Number 96" (not joking) in the 70's with a non-comic gay character called Don. I don't know if there were ever any passionate kisses, but he was a character treated with respect - possibly pre-"Rock follies".

See link below. Hopeless production values but its heart was in the right place.

This is supposedly from 1972.

by Anonymousreply 6406/12/2013

Ok r48

by Anonymousreply 6506/12/2013

A fondness for the affection of sheep

by Anonymousreply 6606/12/2013

[quote]strength of character, kindness and compassion are quite big in NZ, Oz and the Uk. They seem very unpopular in America.

Anything that doesn't have an immediate monetary reward is unpopular in the good ol' greedy U.S.

by Anonymousreply 6706/12/2013

My Brother in law formerly from England, makes Yorkshire pudding for every occasion we get together. It's a disappointment to see they're just some doughy item instead of the sweet all American goodness that Bill Cosby extolled about. it'll never take off here.

At another gathering he mixed things up by making Bubbles & Squeak which was not totally terrible.

by Anonymousreply 6906/12/2013

[quote]At another gathering he mixed things up by making Bubbles & Squeak which was not totally terrible.

Ha! I first learned of Bubble & Squeak in that BEAUTIFUL THING movie. Apparently, it's leftover vegetables cooked together or something. Whatever, it didn't sound appetizing.

by Anonymousreply 7006/12/2013

Bubble & Squeak is just a cabbage and potato hash. It is slightly more interesting than cornbread or what Americans call biscuits - i.e. flavourless stodge.

As for the zelebs, the US is not immune: Real/Fake/Plastic Housewives, Angelyne, Octomom, the never ending Anderson Cooper (who?) threads to say nothing of the soap stars, whose series never cross over (99.9% of them). In fact, at times, half the threads here seem to be about one or other of these World-Famous-In-The-USA types. I found blogs like dlisted invaluable in pointing out the media phenomenon of the moment, however low-brow.

One thing that is enormously popular in the UK are baked beans. People assume that since Heinz is the best-known brand this fart fuel must be equally popular in the US. Apparently not.

by Anonymousreply 7106/12/2013

Most home bands.

On the flipside, Taylor Swift has nowhere near the popularity in the UK as she has back home. Same with most country music.

by Anonymousreply 7206/12/2013

R66 Wales wasn't mentioned.

by Anonymousreply 7306/12/2013

r49, I do not get your comment. Explain, please?

by Anonymousreply 7406/12/2013

R38 Madonna's fame worldwide is MUCH bigger than Janet's

Madonna is the biggest selling female artist in Australia for instance, beating Kylie in her own market.

In Europe Madonna is the 3rd biggest selling artist of all time and the biggest selling female and American artist in Europe.

Her worldwide fame is on par with Michael, certainly not Janet, who's always been a flop in Europe, and definitely more so than Kylie

Hell Madonna has sold more albums that Janet and Kylie COMBINED!

by Anonymousreply 7506/12/2013

R71--Take that back! Cornbread is delicious

by Anonymousreply 7606/12/2013

Kylie Minogue is known here. She had a little shine then it faded here but she's known.

by Anonymousreply 7706/12/2013

R12, don't be a moron, of course people in NZ, Australia and the UK know who Donald Trump is.

by Anonymousreply 7806/12/2013

Kylie Minogue obscurity in the US is on the front page of the New York Times' website at this moment.

Another example of the power of Datalounge to shape the media.

by Anonymousreply 7906/12/2013

Correction, R78, of course people in NZ, Australia and the UK know of Donald Trump's elaborate comb over. It's the Eighth Wonder of the World. Fuck knows what he does otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 8006/12/2013

Sausage rolls. ANZAC biscuits. Pie floater. Theory of evolution.

by Anonymousreply 8106/12/2013

Stop lying, R80.

The Apprentice has aired in NZ, the UK and Australia, spawning local versions.

by Anonymousreply 8206/12/2013

Australia: The motherfucking Divinyls

by Anonymousreply 8306/12/2013

Their politicians aren't as batshit crazy as many of ours.

And I can't imagine talk radio being as nasty and insanely right wing outside of the US.

by Anonymousreply 8406/14/2013

Breakfasts comprising fried tomatoes, fried eggs, fried "streaky" (gristly) bacon, and fried bread. With cold toast. In a toast-holder.

by Anonymousreply 8506/14/2013

R85, Americans like big breakfasts. Americans in general will eat anything they have been exposed to.

by Anonymousreply 8606/14/2013

r86, I'm an American who's eaten in British B&B's, and I assure you we do NOT like fried bread and tomatoes at breakfast! And our bacon is actually edible!

In homes we prefer cereals.

by Anonymousreply 8706/14/2013

What's fried bread? Is it French toast?

by Anonymousreply 8806/14/2013

When I was growing up we always had a painful of bacon grease on our stove. We fried our eggs in it. Then we would fry more bacon in the same pan. When you had enough grease, you could fry potato cubes in it, add a few onion bits -----> hash browns.

I haven't eaten that in years. My non-Irish American friends were horrified by that pan of grease on the stove.

by Anonymousreply 8906/14/2013

Americans don't like big breakfasts, r86. if we do it is only once a week at brunch. We prefer very simple breakfasts with cereal for the most part. It's the Brits and the Irish and the Aussies who like big breakfasts with lots of protein and grease.

by Anonymousreply 9006/14/2013

Yes r90, and just like all you healthy Americans, it's once a week, if that.

by Anonymousreply 9106/14/2013

Big breakfasts are cafe, hotel and B&B things for most people. They are not the normal every day breakfast of most people. That's toast or cereal. I think travelling gives a false impression.

by Anonymousreply 9206/14/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!