Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The University of Washington is adding a requirement of 3 credits in some area of "diversity."

It shouldn't be hard to find a class - 500 or so will meet the requirement, e.g., Peasants in Politics, Gender and Spirituality in World Music, plus all the Injun crap. Sorry, it's "First Nations" crap up here. Gawd but they're oppressive.

by Anonymousreply 3606/16/2013

That has been the requirement since the early 90s, racist OP. It was called the Ethnic Studies Requirement. It was a good thing. I took Asian-American studies and I learned a lot more about the history of the Pacific Northwest than I would have otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 106/11/2013

I had to take something like that. It was a memorable class actually. They lumped all the etnicities together including gays. Ruby Fruit Jungle was a good read although I never finished The Color Purple.

by Anonymousreply 206/11/2013

Ruby Fruit Jungle is excellent! I read it about a year ago and loved it. Couldn't believe I'd never heard of it before. It's out of print as well, which doesn't make sense, I didn't find it outdated at all. Fun, smart, honest, well-written and certainly entertaining

by Anonymousreply 306/11/2013

Are you trolling or just ignorant, OP?

by Anonymousreply 406/11/2013

At my college we call it a "cultural studies" requirement. Those classes are usually very interesting.

by Anonymousreply 506/11/2013

"Injun"? REALLY? It's their fucking homeland you live in, OP. YOU are the outsider, the intruder, the willfully ignorant cunt.

by Anonymousreply 606/11/2013

R3 - Ruby Fruit Jungle is still in print.

by Anonymousreply 706/11/2013

While I enjoyed my general education requirements(that included an ethnic and racial studies), I think US universities need to drop mandatory general education. It is just a waste of time and money. If universities were free, I would be okay with them. And I say this as someone that actually enjoyed the General education courses more than my major!!

by Anonymousreply 806/11/2013

Is "Ruby Fruit Jungle" by that lady who writes them books about crime-solving kitties? My friend Darlene loves those.

by Anonymousreply 906/11/2013

Yes, Rita Mae Brown. I didn't read the cat-crime books. Ruby Fruit Jungle is a riot, one book I wish I'd read as a teen. It's just fucking great.

by Anonymousreply 1006/11/2013

Poor, poor, oppressed bigot OP

how fucking awful it must be to be oppressed to the point of having to take 3 credits just because the government of the United States of America practiced genocide against the people who were here first, the first holocaust in Western history. 3 credits and you might fucking learn something! Now THAT'S oppression!

by Anonymousreply 1106/11/2013

[quote]just because the government of the United States of America practiced genocide against the people who were here first, the first holocaust in Western history.

Really? Really? Where did you study this version of "Western history"?

by Anonymousreply 1206/11/2013

Oh brother OP what about all the other requirements one needs to graduate are those oppressive too?

by Anonymousreply 1306/11/2013

I call MUD.

by Anonymousreply 1406/11/2013

How DARE those educators require courses as they see fit!!! Do they not KNOW they are beholden to OP's standards?!

by Anonymousreply 1506/11/2013

[quote]They lumped all the et[h]nicities together including gays.

So "gays" are now an ethnicity?

by Anonymousreply 1606/11/2013

Don't be so literal r16.

by Anonymousreply 1706/12/2013

[quote]Don't be so literal [R16].

Well, "ethnicity" usually means ethnicity.

Although I have to admit, with the misspelling of "lumped all the etnicities together" I pictured a pile of Etnies shoes.

by Anonymousreply 2006/12/2013

I took a course in African American studies. The teacher was black and seemed to be angry all the time at white people. He claimed black people invented everything in the world and white people stole their ideas.

by Anonymousreply 2106/12/2013

[quote]If universities were free, I would be okay with them.

You clearly never took a course in basic economics, huh?

by Anonymousreply 2206/12/2013

Just let the troll (and his minions) die already!

by Anonymousreply 2306/12/2013

[quote]I think US universities need to drop mandatory general education. It is just a waste of time and money.

There should be some mandatory subjects, but some should be tailored toward the degree being sought. I have never used anything that was taught in Chemistry 101. I had no interest in pursuing anything in the science area but it was a required subject. Biology 101 was the same thing we were taught in 10th grade. It was a waste of time and money.

I think I would have enjoyed a course in cultural studies.

by Anonymousreply 2406/12/2013

Jesus, OP is a stupid moron and racist to boot. It's exactly why universities need both diversity and general education requirements.

by Anonymousreply 2606/12/2013

The problem here is people do not want to accept the fact that not all cultures are created equal. Some cultures are filled with losers. Look at the history of the world. Especially the Middle Ages into the Age of Enlightenment. Some cultures exceed and some never develop past the basics.

by Anonymousreply 2806/14/2013

Back when I was in University, we had to take a history before 1500 and a history after 1550. I filled the requirement with an art history course and a course on the history of prostitution. Yeh, the prostie hist. was fun but really these courses are just a way for university to pad their credit requirements. My partner has a degree in music. The school had a ton of required courses that were designed in such a way that it was impossible to test out of them.

by Anonymousreply 2906/14/2013

[quote]Not only did I start many threads but mine were among the better informed when it came to certain topics of interest here (and I was for a time a popular authenticated name).

That's called "trolling." F&F for you.

by Anonymousreply 3006/14/2013

These courses no longer serve a purpose because we live in a culture that is a 24/7 diversity course. Black History Month, Chicano Pride, etc., etc.

I went to high school in the late 90s and American History courses brushed over the Revolution, Constitution and other foundational subjects in favor of 3 weeks on Native Americans and another 2 on Martin Luther King, Jr. Important topics, no doubt, but things have gotten out of balance in the opposite direction - kids learn nothing BUT diversity.

by Anonymousreply 3106/14/2013

I loved those sorts of classes when I was in school. I took a History of San Fransisco class that was utterly fascinated, as well as Psychology of Asia class that was equally fascinated. I haven't been to either but feel like I know both geographical regions better than most who have.

by Anonymousreply 3206/14/2013

This is the most copetitive and nastiest job market in decades, and jobs are scarce. College also costs a bloody fortune these days. If I were paying out the ass to send my kid to college, I would want him/her totally immersed in a marketable major, such as finance, economics, business etc. so he/she would be as hirable and knowledgedable as possible to potential employers, instead of wasting precious time and (my) money on complete bullshit like "the history of Columbian basket-weaving" and "the indigenous peoples of upper-buttfuck." None of that bullshit is transferable to a professional career. College kids' time would be much better spent taking classes that actually prepare them for the real world.

by Anonymousreply 3306/14/2013

[quote]If I were paying out the ass to send my kid to college, I would want him/her totally immersed in a marketable major, such as finance, economics, business etc. so he/she would be as hirable and knowledgedable as possible to potential employers

It sounds as if your own parents should have insisted on more college English courses.

by Anonymousreply 3406/15/2013

I agree with r33 considering that the number of employees, not profs, has skyrocketed over 10,000% at college over the last decade.

by Anonymousreply 3606/16/2013
Need more help? Click Here.