Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Bagged Salad Kits

Does anyone here eat them fairly regularly? And have you ever been sick from them?

I'm trying to lose weight so these are great as they're low-cal and easy, but I kept thinking about all the recalls due to bacteria.

by Anonymousreply 4306/16/2013

No matter what they say on the bag, you should wash the greens before you eat them.

by Anonymousreply 106/10/2013

How long does it take to wash, dry and tear up some lettuce?

You're a lazy blob, OP.

by Anonymousreply 206/10/2013

OP, I eat spinach right out of the bag, same for bag salads. I figured if I get sick it will just accelerate the weight loss process, which is the goal anyway. And I could probably sue the company for a nice cash payout if I end up hospitalized.

by Anonymousreply 306/10/2013

Salads? No.

Bagged cole slaw mix? Yes.

Rinse before using if you value your health.

by Anonymousreply 406/10/2013

The markup is hilarious.

Buy your own and spin everything. Since you spend so much on the bags, a salad spinner would pay for itself within a month.

It really doesn't take any more time to rip your own salad.

OT: rinse carrots and tomatoes thoroughly, too. Processed carrots are treated with chemicals.

by Anonymousreply 506/10/2013

Gawd this site has become cheap.

by Anonymousreply 606/10/2013

Millions of people eat them on a regular basis OP are you serious about this shit OP? Of course it is a possibility you could get sick, guess what, that is true about everything you eat.

by Anonymousreply 706/10/2013

Just go through the salad bar line, OP. How hard is that?

by Anonymousreply 806/10/2013

I only buy the bagged stuff if I am short on time and have to pick stuff up at my local market, which is a dinky family owned place. The closest real supermarket is about 30 minutes away. The local market's "fresh" produce is never fresh. It usually spoils within a day. I would rather take my chances with the bagged stuff, rinsing it well, than what they call fresh.

by Anonymousreply 906/10/2013

To answer your question, yes, they make me sick and I even wash the contents thoroughly. I don't trust them at all and just make sure that I order fresh salad for lunch from trusted restaurants. I'm with you, I don't have the time or the interest in making my own salads, so I just buy a real salad somewhere. I couldn't care what the price was to a certain point, honestly.

by Anonymousreply 1006/10/2013

They are notoriously loaded with numerous bacteria, as well as Hep A and HPV. My nana's face exploded with genital warts after eating a Mama Touretta's Escarole and Pignoli Salami Surprise salad mix. And she swears she washed it uppa good you bet.

by Anonymousreply 1106/10/2013

OP, it's not a kit.

No assembly required.

by Anonymousreply 1206/10/2013

I eat them all the time and they've never made me sick. As for washing them - somebody please tell me how you can wash lettuce and kill any germs on it?

by Anonymousreply 1306/10/2013

r13, you rinse the leaves in a bowl of Listerine®.

Easy peasy.

by Anonymousreply 1406/10/2013

I buy three of those Spring Mix containers at Costco every week. I don't wash and haven't gotten sick since I started doing this two years ago. I'm still fat though.

by Anonymousreply 1506/10/2013

I eat a ton of the classic greek salads from Trader Joe's....love it...almost everyday at lunch.

by Anonymousreply 1606/10/2013

Buy a salad spinner, I spray a small amount of bleach on the salad and spin and rinse thoroughly. No I don't taste the bleach, and it doesn't seem to wilt any sooner with this method, and I feel better about eating it.

by Anonymousreply 1706/10/2013

Kits, no. If you mean the Caesar salad things with croutons and dressing in the bag.

I've bought the pre-washed, pre-torn lettuce mixtures. It's convenient but still tastes like there may be chemical preservatives added to stay fresh. Like a Wendy's salad.

But, yes, if it's on sale and I know I have a super busy week, I've done it.

by Anonymousreply 1806/10/2013

I am guilty of buying those store prepared salads and salad kits with prepare croutons and dressings, when i am too busy and on the run. Never got sick but really the quality is not that good.

Should just buy fresh veggies and wash and prepare your own bagged salad. Really doesn't take that much time and save yourself some money too. Also i like using pickled fruits and vinegar base dressing. Its acidic so i guess that can help kill off some of the bacteria.

by Anonymousreply 1906/10/2013

Slightly related, but those Lean Cuisine "Salad Starters" are the stupidest thing I've ever seen. They increase the calories by 500% and add enough sodium to send a horse into cardiac arrest.

Just eat a normal frozen Lean Cuisine meal and get the same amount of health and weight-loss benefits (none) instead of deluding yourself that putting it on top of lettuce makes it magically healthy.

by Anonymousreply 2006/11/2013

I buy the bagged salads because I'm lazy and I like just being able to just dump them in a bowl and eat them without a lot of chopping and rinsing. Never gotten sick once from eating them.

by Anonymousreply 2106/11/2013

I'll buy them if they're on sale and will wash if I have time. I do notice a chemical smell, even though it says no preservatives. Could be the chemicals from the plastic leeching into the food.

What I try to do in a perfect world is buy fresh, organic salad ingredients, wash everything thoroughly. Fill up the kitchen sink with cold water, add 1 cup of white vinegar and swish it all around together. Rinse well and spin the lettuce dry. Then I make a huge salad and keep in in a BPA-free salad keeper. It lasts me all week.

by Anonymousreply 2206/11/2013

I occasionally use them but usually make my own salad. What annoys me is my salad spinner doesn't get stuff dry enough; everything is still pretty wet unless I want to spend about half an hour spinning and shuffling and spinning and shuffling. That's why most of the time i just say screw it and eat unwashed lettuce.

by Anonymousreply 2306/11/2013

People actually "wash" vegetables in a sink filled with vinegar? That place where you scrape plates and dump expired milk, etc.? Yuck. At least sanitize the sink first.

by Anonymousreply 2406/11/2013

"No matter what they say on the bag, you should wash the greens before you eat them."

Why does the thread title "Bagged Salad Kits" sound like the name of an episode from the prison series Oz, and the quote above most likely the dialogue right before the 'tossing'?

by Anonymousreply 2506/11/2013

I buy a tray of live salad leaves. You just tear off as much as you need each day and remember to water it now and then. They usually last about a week and are fresh every time you eat. Just rinse the picked leaves under a running tap and dry whatever way you prefer. Easy, quick, cheap and fresh.

by Anonymousreply 2606/11/2013

OP, I bought a salad kit in a box today, and ate it straight out of the box in your honor. It was tasty.

by Anonymousreply 2706/11/2013

Where do you buy them R25?

by Anonymousreply 2806/12/2013

If R28 is asking about live salad you can get them in most supermarkets in the UK. I don't know about the US, is been a while since I lived there.

by Anonymousreply 2906/12/2013

Some markets do sell live lettuce. I think the roots are still attached. Or am I confusing them with hydroponic lettuce?

Thanks everyone it's been an interesting thread.

I had a Southwestern salad kit from Fresh and Easy and it was delicious and filling but clearly the lettuce was processed in some way. Or maybe it was old, but the leaves seemed dull. I hope it wasn't bathed in one of the chemical baths someone mentioned.

by Anonymousreply 3006/12/2013

Ooops, thanks for the reply R29. I was asking for an answer to R26 and not R25.

by Anonymousreply 3106/12/2013

I eat them all the time and have never gotten sick.

by Anonymousreply 3206/12/2013

Very interesting concept R26, I am not sure I've seen that.

by Anonymousreply 3306/13/2013

Im curious about r26's product as well. Maybe someone can find a picture

by Anonymousreply 3406/13/2013

This is the kind I buy. I answered my own question, this is indeed a hydroponic, living lettuce.

by Anonymousreply 3506/13/2013

What I buy

by Anonymousreply 3606/13/2013

Should have said R36 link is by R26. Oops.

by Anonymousreply 3706/13/2013

Thanks R36. I like this description: A tray of living, growing baby salad leaves that allows you to cut just what you need when you need it, without any processing. Simply water regularly to maximise freshness. Ready to eat fresh.

by Anonymousreply 3806/16/2013

Living Salads is a gimmick. They are ready to harvest - and just haven't been yet. Really it's why we have refrigerators - so we don't have to do this.

They don't last significantly longer than harvested lettuce.

Really even if your cooking for one - you must be hardly ever eating salad if you can't make it through one head of lettuce before it goes bad.

I'm sure if you wanted to - you could hydroponically grow lettuce inside. Time the planting so you had a continuous supply.

But lettuce needs a lot of sun - so you would either need a greenhouse. Plus provide the necessary nutrients.

I say you are better off with a trip to the grocery store once or twice a week.

by Anonymousreply 3906/16/2013

I find them useful if you only want salad for one day,because otherwise half the veggies will go to waste.

by Anonymousreply 4006/16/2013

I don't use them any more. You can get hepatitis, e.coli, and even HPV from them. That's how I got throat cancer.

by Anonymousreply 4106/16/2013

I buy the big plastic bin of baby spring lettuce and do not wash it before using it in a salad. I eat a LOT of salads, and have never gotten sick.

by Anonymousreply 4206/16/2013

I buy them. There is no way I could finish a head of lettuce before it goes bad, so its a much less wasteful way to eat healthy.

by Anonymousreply 4306/16/2013
Need more help? Click Here.