Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Jane Lynch and Lara Embry to Divorce

Glee star Jane Lynch and her wife, Dr. Lara Embry, are getting a divorce, the actress tells PEOPLE exclusively.

"Lara and I have decided to end our marriage. This has been a difficult decision for us as we care very deeply about one another. We ask for privacy as we deal with this family matter," Lynch says in a statement.

Lynch, 52, and Embry, 44, met at a 2009 fundraiser in San Francisco at which Embry was being honored. Shortly after confirming their engagement, the women married on Memorial Day in 2010 in an intimate ceremony in Sunderland, Mass., one of the few states where gay marriage is recognized.

The wedding was attended by 19 friends and family including Embry's daughter, Haden, with whom Lynch has gotten very close.

"My greatest pleasure is Haden, my stepdaughter," Lynch told PEOPLE at The Moms Mamarazzi event in New York City last March. "I am surprised how much love you feel and how you would do anything for your children."

Lynch, who is currently starring as Miss Hannigan in Annie: The Musical, performed at the Tony Awards in New York City Sunday.

by Anonymousreply 7709/21/2013

I am shocked, SHOCKED that a couple of lesbians who became committed very quickly after meeting, are breaking up so shortly after their marriage!

There should have been a little U-Haul truck on top of the wedding cake.

by Anonymousreply 106/10/2013

Awwww. I hope it's as painless as possible for the couple. I like Jane Lynch.

by Anonymousreply 206/10/2013

And so it begins - the new era of the lesbian / gay divorces. Before the national right to marry is even granted, by the Supreme Court. Before, it was 'We can't wait for the Supreme Court to rule - we want to get married now'. And now it is ' We can't wait for the Supreme Court to rule - we want our divorce' . Who's next, Boomer / Halls ? NPN / Burtka ? Ellen / Portia ?

by Anonymousreply 306/10/2013

[all posts by ham-fisted troll a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 506/10/2013

[quote]Who's next, Boomer / Halls ?

Ha! He wishes!

by Anonymousreply 606/10/2013

[quote]A lot of gays romanticize marriage.

YES,

Straight people NEVER get married quickly just for the romance.

That's what the Elvis impersonator said who performed our wedding said.

by Anonymousreply 706/10/2013

Exactly, r7, and straight Hollywood marriages in particular, NEVER collapse after only a few years.

by Anonymousreply 806/10/2013

[quote]Who cares what "straights" do? It is a fact that gays romanticize marriage. That straights do as well in no way undermines what I said. Sorry if that offends you.

Why are you still here?

by Anonymousreply 1006/10/2013

R3 you think every gay couple will be together forever? Half of all marriages end in Divorce. That won't change.

by Anonymousreply 1106/10/2013

Pathetic that Lynch and Embry jumped into marriage so quickly proclaiming their deep abiding love.

And pathetic that it lasted such a short period.

A good number of gay people are jumping into marriage just to prove that they are au courant, progressive, and just because marriage of same sex couples is now available to many.

by Anonymousreply 1206/10/2013

"We ask for privacy as we deal with this personal matter."

Sophia Petrillo: "No problem!"

by Anonymousreply 1306/10/2013

I thought this would flame out. Jane Lynch has never sustained a relationship for very long. She idealizes and then discards. Lara Embry has a child to protect. I don't blame her for getting out.

by Anonymousreply 1406/10/2013

Seriously,,,,does it seem more lesbians get divorced than gay men? Or is it just that more "celebrity" lesbians get married?

by Anonymousreply 1506/10/2013

Apparently there are some VERY lonely people at Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 1606/10/2013

Lara must have seen Jane botch Miss Hannigan in Annie and is fleeing from the shame.

by Anonymousreply 1806/10/2013

Writing "fact" in all upper case letters does not make it a fact.

Lots of generalizations, R19, not a lot of "fact."

by Anonymousreply 2006/10/2013

that's a fact.

by Anonymousreply 2106/10/2013

too bad; I'm sure they're both nice people, I hope they are.

by Anonymousreply 2206/10/2013

r19 is telling the truth.

by Anonymousreply 2306/10/2013

Great. Another divorce.

by Anonymousreply 2406/10/2013

I think it's nice there's gays left with so little cynicism and bitchiness they still have the capacity to romanticize anything.

by Anonymousreply 2506/10/2013

[quote] We ask for privacy as we deal with this family matter," Lynch says in a statement.

Yes, let's respect the privacy of people who make PR statements about their private life.

by Anonymousreply 2606/10/2013

R19 is not telling the truth, just her version of the truth.

by Anonymousreply 2706/10/2013

read Jane's book......bitch never satisfied with anything.

by Anonymousreply 2906/10/2013

I like Jane, too, and I wish her the best with her personal life. That being said, her Miss Hannigan, at least her Tony performance, sucked donkey balls. She captured none of the essence of Hannigan, despite having the voice and at least her characterization from Glee she might have used. I am not sure what she was out there doing but it sure wasn't Miss Hannigan.

by Anonymousreply 3006/10/2013

I know lots of couples get divorced, but I do hate to see high-profile gay people making such a huge deal out of their gay marriage and acting like such brave trailblazers, then quitting so soon after all the gay marriage hoopla.

I did guess that a lot of these couples who raced down the aisle right after gay marriage started becoming legal were likely the people who needed the rush of validation and attention all that brings. Perhaps not the people who soberly considered the reality of marriage, just like straight people.

by Anonymousreply 3106/10/2013

This is very tragic. They seemed to be so in love. I was sure their union would last at least five years or so..

by Anonymousreply 3206/10/2013

R3 how can "NPN / Burtka" be "next" when they are not married?

by Anonymousreply 3306/10/2013

R17 IS 100% SPOT-ON.

by Anonymousreply 3406/10/2013

If you can make it through the whole thing, this long-ass article in The Atlantic references studies that show that lesbians split up at a lower rate than gay men or hetero couples.

In Lynch's case, though, it's not shocking even if it is a shame. They rushed into marriage, and r31 makes a good point about people, gay or straight, who rush into commitment like that.

by Anonymousreply 3506/10/2013

[quote]I know lots of couples get divorced, but I do hate to see high-profile gay people making such a huge deal out of their gay marriage and acting like such brave trailblazers, then quitting so soon after all the gay marriage hoopla.

Tell me about it!

by Anonymousreply 3606/10/2013

Ha R19!

I read that as.... the cock is clearly ticking on that one.

by Anonymousreply 3706/11/2013

I'm same-sex divorced and know other folks who are and we get divorced for the same reasons straight people do and probably at the same rate (or a slightly lower one). You don't have to "rush into" a marriage to split up: I lived with my spouse-to-be for two years before our wedding--and we lived separately the first year we dated. Not only should you take into account the 50% divorce rate you should also remember that a lot of people who stay married (straight and queer) end up leading separate lives from their spouses (and either stop having sex or have it very infrequently) but make appearances together for family/social reasons. Some people are happy with these arrangements, but I certainly wouldn't be. I'd rather admit my marriage was a failure than have to pretend.

by Anonymousreply 3806/11/2013

I am willing to bet Jane is borderline. She has never had a relationship that lasted longer than 3 or 3 months. She got the attention out of this marriage and when it became difficult just cut out. Seen it before, especially in show business.

by Anonymousreply 3906/11/2013

What's the point of letting gays marry if they're just gonna get divorced. WTF.

by Anonymousreply 4006/11/2013

R17 has some issues.

by Anonymousreply 4106/11/2013

Part of marriage equality is having the option to get a divorce. I seriously doubt that gay men and lesbians will ultimately have fewer divorces than their straight counterparts. Up until now we legally have not had the possibility to get married so we couldn't show what our divorce rate will be.

I just worried about the couples who got married or unionized in several places and now, if they are separating, will have to go through multiple divorces. It makes money for the lawyers.

Gay men and lesbians should have the legal right to look as foolish as their straight counterparts do when they profess love when in reality they haven't had enough time to figure if they are in love enough to get married.

by Anonymousreply 4306/11/2013

[quote]Marry in haste, repent at leisure, bitches.

by Anonymousreply 4406/11/2013

r38 wants to tell everybody how to feel. I guess that's why 50% of marriages fail.

by Anonymousreply 4506/11/2013

"Your inane attempt to make it look as though white gay male couples especially represent the type of nasty relationship you deplore shows you to be a racist."

This proves my point about many white gays pulling out the victim card like it was a VISA at Macys.

And if you're going to use the word racist, at least know what it means. That was a pedestrian and clumsy attempt at a bold statement.

"Also, your quaint and alum-cunted focus on monogamy underscores the problem with closet moralists such as you."

Because men aren't hardwired for monogamy! Oh, the troubles you have! The burden you have to deal with in having to deal with keeping it in your pants for more than two seconds. How do you ever make it through the day? You precious creatures.

Do you ever get tired of everything always having to be about YOU? You do realize the world isn't designed to cater to you twenty four seven?

Just something to keep in mind while your shopping for your summer flip flops.

Toodles!

by Anonymousreply 4706/11/2013

[quote] like Jane, too, and I wish her the best with her personal life. That being said, her Miss Hannigan, at least her Tony performance, sucked donkey balls. She captured none of the essence of Hannigan, despite having the voice and at least her characterization from Glee she might have used. I am not sure what she was out there doing but it sure wasn't Miss Hannigan

Yes, because every dedicated Theater Queen clearly knows that every performance in a revival must be an exact recreation of the original actor. No one must ever give their own interpretation despite getting huge laughs and audiences loving your performance. Take that rolled up Playbill out of your ass.

by Anonymousreply 4806/11/2013

quote[Take that rolled up Playbill out of your ass.]

If I were not already married R48, I would ask you to be mine cuz I think I am a little bit in love with you.

Thanks for the morning giggle.

by Anonymousreply 4906/11/2013

[quote] She idealizes and then discards.

The definition of serial monogamy. Beware.

by Anonymousreply 5006/11/2013

that weird old-fashioned phrase "failed marriage"

Marriages are doomed to fail. The concept of marriage is the failure.

by Anonymousreply 5106/11/2013

[quote]The concept of marriage is the failure.

Exaclty, get the tax breaks while you can!

by Anonymousreply 5206/11/2013

Gawd, three pages for these two. lol. Christ.

[quote]Jane Lynch has never sustained a relationship for very long.

I was shocked when Lynch got hitched because I had seen a couple of interviews with her on lesbian centric sites and she seemed very much happy to be single and childless. It's like she got successful and needed the family to go with it.

by Anonymousreply 5306/11/2013

R48 is Jane Lynch.

by Anonymousreply 5406/11/2013

No I'll keep it like this, r55. Just to piss you off, pumkin.

by Anonymousreply 5606/11/2013

R55 = the page concern troll. How fucking sad.

by Anonymousreply 5706/11/2013

R48 you must be facetious.

Anyway in another thread I said Jane would definitely have a career post-Glee. Now I am seriously not so sure; she seems very humor impaired and may be unwilling to play supporting character parts.

by Anonymousreply 5806/11/2013

R58, R48 might just be too young (or dumb) to understand who or what Miss Hannigan is supposed to be. "Look, it's JANE LYNCH! Isn't she HILARIOUS?"

Hey, I loved Jane in Glee too, but c'mon. Miss Hannigan HATES little girls, is a blowsy, self-pitying frump who grimaces at their very presence! Burnett GOT this. Loudon GOT this. Everyone who has ever played Hannigan in stock probably got it. Lynch either has not gotten the direction she needed OR she has not listened to it. She was out there in some glam 30's outfit and blonde wig kicking around like Ann Reinking and embodying not a whit of the hilarious vulgar disdain that Hannigan should show. Loudon and Burnett (the best known Hannigans) drip delicious vitriol and throw death stares at all those horrible "little girls." Jane showed none of that. She has a great voice and, by all rights she would be a perfect Miss Hannigan. And perhaps IN the show during performance nights she brings it. But she sure didn't on the Tonys.

And I am not the only "theatre queen" (which is not an insult to me. I just know what I know about a performance, that's all) who has said this about her Tony performance. Again, LOVE Jane Lynch but was shockingly underwhelmed at what she did with Miss Hannigan, one of the more famous "villains" in Broadway history. She could HAVE DONE SO MUCH MORE with that number!

by Anonymousreply 5906/11/2013

[quote]R48 is Jane Lynch.

Not even close, but I'll take her bank pin if ya have it.

[quote]R48 might just be too young (or dumb) to understand who or what Miss Hannigan is supposed to be. "Look, it's JANE LYNCH! Isn't she HILARIOUS?"

And maybe you are too old and feeble to realize that you are judging her entire performance based on 2 minutes and 50 seconds of a song that is NOT in a performance of "ANNIE" and just a snippet. But of course you are sooooooooooooo knowledgeable about musical comedy, you just know she's bad without seeing her. It's fucking Miss Hannigan not Lady Macbeth.

by Anonymousreply 6006/11/2013

I guess boundaries weren't stated!!!

by Anonymousreply 6106/11/2013

I'm sorry Miss Lynch. I am sure you were trying your best.

by Anonymousreply 6206/11/2013

Wha!? Carol Burnett was a LOUSY Miss Hannigan!

by Anonymousreply 6306/11/2013

R60, why do you care what my opinion of Jane Lynch is? Why are you so invested in defending her? Opinions are like assholes. Everybody's got one. Mine is just an opinion and so is yours. Both are valid.

You seem a tad "unhinged" dear. Maybe lay off the Redbull. Jeeze.

by Anonymousreply 6406/11/2013

[quote] The concept of marriage is the failure.

Amen.

by Anonymousreply 6506/11/2013

[quote]I'm not eager to show lesbians to be the unstable, confused, immature, humorless, brittle, mean-spirited and mostly lunatic hot mess of womynhood they are. It's just that the facts are what they are.

Uh...I know PLENTY of gay men who perfectly fit this profile you've assigned to lesbians. It's people in general, though both gay men and women seem to let it all hang out to the general public more than straights.

by Anonymousreply 6606/11/2013

Hmm. This thread seems to be going all over the place. Should I (or someone) start a thread about Jane Lynch playing Miss Harrigan? A lot of people seem to have very strong opinions about her performance.

by Anonymousreply 6706/11/2013

I said to my partner when I heard Jane Lynch was doing Annie on Broadway, "Uh-oh, she dumped wifey for sure." You don't commit to a job on the other side of the country when you can't even reasonably visit every week or so when your relationship is healthy and strong. I just hope she doesn't end up treating her stepdaughter who she just loves SO much and who brings her SO much joy like Halle Berry who can't even remember special stepdaughter's name now.

by Anonymousreply 6806/11/2013

I like Kathy Bates's version best. But here are Carol Burnett and Kathy Bates, back to back, so you can judge for yourself.

by Anonymousreply 6906/11/2013

She auditioned for a number of my sister's tv commercials before she became famous, due to her role in Glee. My sister said she was great and very easy to get along with. That could all be chalked up for her wanting a job, but there was no indication that she was a crazy bitch.

by Anonymousreply 7006/11/2013

Well, we've all been carried away by a new passion in our lives at one point or another. So it didn't work out, big deal. No reason to gloat or to judge.

by Anonymousreply 7106/11/2013

All celebrity actors and musicians should be forbidden by law to get married and/or have children.

by Anonymousreply 7206/11/2013

R68, when couples break up, the relationship with non-biological kids almost always ends.

It is extremely rare for the relationship with non-biological kids to continue.

For example, among celebrities, Sheryl Crow has nothing to do with Lance Armstrong's three kids with whom she was so close.

And Sandra Bullock has nothing to do with Jesse James' 2 or 3 kids with whom she was so close (especially the young girl)

And it works the same among ordinary non-celebrity people who break up.

by Anonymousreply 7306/12/2013

hmmm according to tmz there is no prenup.

by Anonymousreply 7407/12/2013

I saw Jane quite a few times in Soho walking her dog in the am, and getting coffee at Ground Support. Always alone. She is one celebrity that is impossible to miss due to her height.

by Anonymousreply 7507/12/2013

[quote]All celebrity actors and musicians should be forbidden by law to get married and/or have children.

as opposed to all the non-celebrities who never get divorced or raise troubled kids......

by Anonymousreply 7607/12/2013

The bitch wants $5,000 a month from Jane for charitable donations. are you really donating to charity if you have to sue someone to get the money to donate?

I'm guessing Lara has very few patients nowadays!

by Anonymousreply 7709/21/2013
Need more help? Click Here.