Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Larry Kramer pissed at the Tony Awards for bad treatment

In Michael Musto's new column on Out.com.

by Anonymousreply 3306/17/2013

Downstairs, I found gramps Larry Kramer, who’d been briefly seen receiving a special award for his humanitarian work. He was sitting, but not in a wicker chair. And his normal heart wasn’t smiling. “It was all fucked up,” fumed Kramer. “They kept shunting me around. I was supposed to be on in the first segment, but everybody spoke too long, so they kept putting me off. I had to go on during a commercial break. They promised me they’d show a clip on network, but I don’t think what they showed was very long.” Oh, well, at least Larry told me they stood for him in the theater. “You and Cicely Tyson,” I beamed. “Don’t say anything bitchy!” he warned. Huh? After his harangue, anything I had to say would be as peachy as that hot guy from Pippin

poor baby

by Anonymousreply 106/10/2013

Larry Kramer's pissed about something?

Must be Monday.

by Anonymousreply 206/10/2013

How long are people going to be pretending that Larry Kramer's "fighting spirit" is anything but an unchecked case of antisocial personality disorder?

by Anonymousreply 306/10/2013

He got to say the word "gay" on national television so he shouldn't be completely pissed off.

by Anonymousreply 406/10/2013

Hey Musto, forward this to Larry and ask him if it means anything to him.

by Anonymousreply 506/10/2013

I used to admire him - now I agree with the other comments. He's a bitter old bitch, who cannot say 1 nice thing about anyone, or anything. He and Arthur Laurents were a pair - the difference being Laurents did put out a big share of wonderful works ( "Time Of The Cukoo", "West Side Story", "Gypsy", "The Way We Were", "The Turning Point") , while all Kramer did was the script for "Women In Love", and "The Normal Heart" . Laurents earned the right to be a curmudgeon , Kramer is just a marginally talented , whiney old coot.

by Anonymousreply 606/10/2013

Does anyone really care what Larry Kramer says or thinks?

I'd rather be concerned with NPH's VPL.

by Anonymousreply 706/10/2013

Larry Kramer pissed? Surely you jest.

by Anonymousreply 806/10/2013

[all posts by ham-fisted troll a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 906/10/2013

Did they show "Lost Horizon" on Turner again?

by Anonymousreply 1006/10/2013

Kramer is such an intrusive asshole you practically need to wear a condom when you're in the same room with him to avoid an accident.

by Anonymousreply 1106/10/2013

*I* for one care deeply whether he is honored and respected enough!

Just kidding. He's basically the gay community's Walder Frey.

by Anonymousreply 1206/10/2013

lol r12

by Anonymousreply 1306/10/2013

He's never happy, is he?

Does he ever have any fun?

by Anonymousreply 1406/10/2013

Larry Kramer is pissed at everything. He's a bile-powered human.

by Anonymousreply 1506/10/2013

Is he happy that a hunk like Mark Ruffalo is playing him?

by Anonymousreply 1606/11/2013

I'll always love him. I think he decided a long time ago that he would be the gatekeeper. The gay man who would NEVER let the world forget what they did to us. Namely perpetrate genocide on gay men,then watch coldly,often with glee as we got what we deserved and died gruesome deaths by the thousands.

He started ACT-UP,because he knew they were never going to help us until we shamed them into doing so...with our rage!

So take his inventory,he's used to it. But I will always stand up for him. He got me into the streets when I wanted to hide under the covers.

by Anonymousreply 1706/11/2013

[quote]The gay man who would NEVER let the world forget what they did to us.

Um... I thought one of the points of "The Normal Heart" was that a good deal of the damage was self-inflicted.

by Anonymousreply 1806/11/2013

Poor Larry. Never a happy person. Was he handing out tracts by the self-serve yogurt machine at the after party?

by Anonymousreply 1906/11/2013

Arthur Laurents could run a kitten over with a truck and be forgiven, he wrote fucking GYPSY!

Larry Kramer....ehh.

by Anonymousreply 2006/11/2013

After party is a concept not in Larry's repertoire.

by Anonymousreply 2106/11/2013

I don't know how Streisand dealt with BOTH Kramer and Laurents for all those years. Laurents was just as mean as Kramer. Here's an interview Laurents did with the NYT about Streisand calling him one Sunday. It gives you an idea of what a difficult person he was:

"A few years ago, she called me. It was a Sunday and I have an enormous breakfast on Sunday. I wait the whole week for that breakfast. She would call from time to time when she wanted advice. So she called to ask me if she should do the movie of 'Sunset Boulevard.' I said, 'Listen, Barbra, I'm having breakfast. Can I call you back?' She said, 'Do you have my number?' I said, 'I've always had your number.'

"So I called her back and said, 'Barbra, I've change.' And she said, 'Since Tom died?' I said, 'Yes. I don't have patience with people who don't say what they mean. You didn't call about 'Sunset Boulevard.' She said, 'No, I didn't. I called about Gypsy. Do you think I can do it?' I said, 'No.' She said, 'Too old?' I said, 'It has nothing to do with age. You play for sympathy.

"So we started a conversation and she started to talk about her mother. The conversation went on for three hours. At one point she said, 'I have to pee. I'll call you back.' And she called me back and told me more about her mother -- who was worse than Rose. I said, 'If you can do that...' That's when I believed she could do it."

by Anonymousreply 2206/11/2013

Ummmm... I see nothing wrong with that conversation.

by Anonymousreply 2306/11/2013

I agree with most of what R17 said.

Thank god for Larry Kramer's anger.

I met him once and he couldn't have been nicer.

by Anonymousreply 2406/11/2013

Larry has a face tailormade for radio. He always seems constipated or like he needs to be on the shitter for some other reason.

by Anonymousreply 2506/11/2013

Dear Larry. It's better to be pissed off than to be pissed on. Oh, you don't actually agree with that? I see...

by Anonymousreply 2606/11/2013

He's just an angry man. He was angry long before the AIDs crisis and Act Up- one of my olderst and now deceased friends was his lawyer in the late 70s early 80s. I met him a number of times. Not a nice man at all. That said, his anger served us and the larger world well with ACT UP, which changed forever the way the FDA approves drugs for deadly illnesses.

Laurents always comes across as mean spirited at his own hand! His bio is interesting, although he is not very likable even though his story is a great snap shot of his times and a lot of very very talented people. He really has very little nice to say about anyone and takes all kinds of credit for other people's success when he has worked with them. He did have a gorgeous partner for a long long time and he did live long as well, so he did something right on the personal end (obviously he was a great success professionally.)

by Anonymousreply 2706/11/2013

Musto has a new column on Gawker too. There's life after Village Voice.

by Anonymousreply 2806/13/2013

[quote]Arthur Laurents could run a kitten over with a truck and be forgiven, he wrote fucking GYPSY!

Depends who's playing Rose.

by Anonymousreply 2906/13/2013

Couldn't Kramer at least dressed decently. He looked like crap!

by Anonymousreply 3006/13/2013

By dint of investing his money wisely (the few times he seemed to have worked), Larry Kramer has ALWAYS had a LOT of time on his hands. Some of it he put to good work writing "The Normal Heart", helping to start ACT-UP (they threw him out), and GMHC (They threw him out).

I posit Larry Kramer would have been happier and saner just scraping by with a full-time day job. I guess that's my point.

by Anonymousreply 3106/13/2013

Larry Kramer is and always has been an angry bitter nutcase, drama queen, and professional complainer.

by Anonymousreply 3206/17/2013

R31 nailed it people seem to forget that he starts up organizations and then goes completely apeshit when they become popular, and tries to sabotage them or make them fail and people in those groups have enough of him and kick him out.

by Anonymousreply 3306/17/2013
Need more help? Click Here.