Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What's a good brand of printer?

One that won't fucking die in six months or less, like every printer I've bought recently?

by TIAreply 4108/13/2013

I stopped buying inkjets because they get "printer cancer" (i.e., dried out heads) from lack of use.

I don't print a lot.

I moved up to a laser, a cheap monochrome model by Brother actually.

by TIAreply 106/10/2013

I've been using the same Dell 1700 for about seven years. It's a B&W laser printer. I don't print a whole lot, though--probably no more than 20 pages a week.

by TIAreply 206/10/2013

Canon. I've had two, and neither has given up the ghost (the only reason I bought the second one is the first one had a parallel port, not a USB connection, so it wouldn't work on modern computers when I upgraded... seriously it's THAT old).

I got the Canon multi-function wireless printer. It's awesome. Speed, quality, "just works" with all my computers and devices wirelessly, and also copies, scans, etc. And it was dirt cheap for the quality, imho.

(For the record, I have the MP560 ... it's a few years old, don't know what the current model equivalent is)

by TIAreply 306/10/2013

And for the record, I don't print a lot either. I haven't had an issue with clogging heads or "printer cancer". Knock on wood.

by TIAreply 406/10/2013

4 year old Canon Pixma all-in-one with cartridges from Amazon Marketplace (24 for $30).

I've had to deal with a shitload of bank, broker, and lawyer stuff so this thing has paid for itself.

by TIAreply 506/10/2013

I have an epson inkjet that I love. I bought it in a panic when my HP failed, thinking it was a stop gap. I have been using it daily for 1.5 years with issue.

by TIAreply 606/10/2013

[all posts by ham-fisted troll a removed.]

by TIAreply 706/10/2013

I like my Canon. I threw out my HP.

by TIAreply 806/10/2013

Just bought a new Cannon, I had an HP that lasted 10 years and the cord finally gave out.

by TIAreply 906/10/2013

I've heard nothing but bad about Epson printers for years now. They USED to be awesome, but at some point, they became cheap crap.

by TIAreply 1006/10/2013

R10 - The only thing negative thing I can say about my Epson is that my inkjet uses A LOT of ink. Amazingly reliable and I print quite a bit. I started order the cartridges in bulk on Amazon to save $$ on it.

by TIAreply 1106/10/2013

Don't all inkjet printers use a lot of ink? And doesn't the ink dry up if you don't use it ASAP? I once bought an ink jet and didn't open it until a couple of months after I bought it -- I print next to nothing -- and the ink had dried out. I have no idea what brand it was.

LSS, I bought a laser printer and have never looked back.

by TIAreply 1206/10/2013

That hasn't been my experience with my Canon, R12

by TIAreply 1306/10/2013

I also have a canon no problems so far after 3 yrs

by TIAreply 1506/10/2013

I went through a few HP printers and all were pretty terrible. Years ago, I had a Canon BubbleJet that was terrific; very smooth, crisp printing and the ink lasted pretty long. Also, I had a Brother multi-function that worked great until the print heads wore out in four months.

Last year, on the suggestion of a friend, I got an Epson WorkForce 845 and, so far, it's been the best printer I've used. The ink is a good value, it prints fast, copies and scans great. Only one minor jam on the scanner and that was when my partner was careless putting an invoice with a ripped corner the auto feed.

by TIAreply 1606/11/2013

HP computers are horrible. Thanks for all the info on Canon printers, that's where I'll go for the next one. Any ideas for laptops?

by TIAreply 1706/11/2013

I've been looking for a new printer too, and reading a lot of reviews. Most agree that Epson is bad, HP is mediocre and Cannon is the best.

by TIAreply 1806/11/2013

I love a good printer

by TIAreply 1906/19/2013

OKI (using LED technology)

by TIAreply 2006/19/2013

I like the Epson color inkjet all-in-ones (scanner / fax / printer) - generally pretty compact, and the software is decent.

For laser, I've been using the Brother wireless models, but those go through toner pretty fast.

I absolutely hate HP printers - they used to be great, but sometime in the 2000's they started packaging them with 10 different unnecessary applications and bloatware on your computer, which were so poorly coded they would conflict with other software and drivers and create huge lag times on startup - they were basically equivalent to a virus. I refuse to install any modern HP printers because their bloatware is so bad. Epson and Brother printers come with unnecessary applications too, but you can generally manage which ones you install pretty easily, and I haven't experienced software or driver conflicts yet.

by TIAreply 2106/19/2013

Canon but fuck, ink is soo expensive. I'd probably look for the cheapest cartridges.

by TIAreply 2206/19/2013

R17, for laptops if you're looking for a Windows system for work, I'm a fan of Lenovo / IBM ThinkPads - still the gold standard (great construction and layout, relatively lightweight), though the Lenovo bloatware can be annoying. But see if you can get one with Windows 7 Pro, since Windows 8 is a disaster.

If you're looking for something for more daily use (not work), I guess there's a range of options - I've used Lenovo IdeaPads (their consumer line), and Dells generally come pretty cheap if you're not too concerned about long-lasting quality. But again, I'd see if you can find something with Windows 7 pre-installed. I was thinking of getting my parents a Chrome OS netbook, since all they do is surf the Internet / watch Netflix, and you really don't need much besides a web browser to handle that.

by TIAreply 2306/19/2013

I'm printing as I type this

by TIAreply 2406/20/2013

I have a Canon copy/print/fax/scan. I don't remember it being overly expensive, but the ink is pretty pricy. One beef is that if one color cartridge is out of ink, it disables itself until you change out for a new cartridge, even if you try and print B&W only.

by TIAreply 2506/20/2013

It is all the same Made in China crap OP. Sorry. Brand name is cosmetic today.

by TIAreply 2606/20/2013

The printer I have works fine

by TIAreply 2706/29/2013

I have a cheap Samsung color laser printer. Toner is not cheap but it lasts a very long time, and doesn't dry out like inkjet cartridges.

by TIAreply 2806/29/2013

I like my Lexmark.

by TIAreply 2906/29/2013

too many choices!

by TIAreply 3006/29/2013

Can't Cannon cartridges be refilled. It's quite cheap at Costco.

by TIAreply 3107/02/2013

by TIAreply 3207/02/2013

I have a Canon and love it. Four years old and not a single problem. Unlike the Epson I used to have whose print heads would clog frequently.

by TIAreply 3307/02/2013

I would only use HP, after many experiments with others.

I dropped my ancient (15 years old and still working perfectly) HP Laserjet for one of the combination scanner/printer/copier deskjets, and I'm completely satisfied. Excellent color, reliable, good wireless service, easy faxing for the rare cases I need that, and cheap. I can't complain about the cartridge costs - I print color only when needed and print in draft mode for mere text, which looks the same as prints with more density.

by TIAreply 3407/02/2013

Rapists and wrong-doers buy brother

by TIAreply 3508/12/2013

I never buy ink cartridges, I just buy new printers. They are fairly inexpensive these days.

by TIAreply 3608/13/2013

I hardly ever print, in fact I went over a decade without a printer. Recently I got a $29 all-in-one Cannon. Works fine for my purposes, although it would be nice to have a better scanner.

by TIAreply 3708/13/2013

That's hilarious r36. Yours is an extreme example, but it does actually make sense sometimes to toss something instead of wasting time repairing it. I spent hours cleaning out and disinfecting two cat boxes after my cat died, and that was definitely a stupid waste of time. They only cost $5 at the grocery store, and I'm not planning to have another cat for years anyway.

by TIAreply 3808/13/2013

I actually marched my old Epson out to the third floor fire escape and drop kicked it into the dumpster, I hated it that much.

Buy the printer based on the ink, not the printer price. The profit is in the ink.

Since the ill fated Epson, I have has two Canon printers that perform superbly with economical ink costs. One is a multi purpose and the other prints 11x17. Love them.

by TIAreply 3908/13/2013

OMG, did I actually post "I have has"?

Please, allow me...O, dear...

by TIAreply 4008/13/2013

Cunny-posters buy Cannons

by TIAreply 4108/13/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!