Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Cyndi Lauper is only one award away from EGOT

So with her Tony win last night, Cyndi has a Grammy, Emmy and now Tony Award.

She only needs an Oscar

Too bad she didn't get nominated for Best Song for Girls Just Want To Have Fun. Movie didn't do anything, but it was a number one song.

Still a head scratchier why the Academy snubbed that song. If she was nominated she might have been EGOT today.

by Anonymousreply 8906/15/2013

[quote]Still a head scratchier why the Academy snubbed that song. If she was nominated she might have been EGOT today.

Not that much of a headscratcher. She didn't write it, so she wouldn't have been nominated anyway, and it wasn't written for the movie, so it wasn't eligible.

by Anonymousreply 106/10/2013

Because it wasn't as good as that enduring classic from A Chorus Line," Surprise, Surprise." The question is whether or not this was written for the film, or the film was titled for the song which already existed.

by Anonymousreply 206/10/2013

1. The song preceded the movie; it was first released as a single from her "She's So Unusual" album -- thus was ineligible for the Best Song Oscar.

2. Actually, the song peaked at #2 (for 2 weeks), not #1 (it was prevented from hitting the top spot by Van Halen's "Jump," which stayed at #1 for 5 weeks).

by Anonymousreply 306/10/2013

[quote] it wasn't written for the movie, so it wasn't eligible.

The film is called GIRLS JUST WANT TO HAVE FUN

and the song is sung at the end of the movie.

Why wouldn't it be eligible? Unless the studio decided not to submit it as a nomination

by Anonymousreply 406/10/2013

[quote] The song preceded the movie

So why did the movie take that title, if it had nothing to do with the song?

by Anonymousreply 506/10/2013

Because the award is for Best Original Song. It has to be written specifically for the movie.

That's why every musical adaptation since at least Evita has contained one new song, because none of the material written for the stage show is eligible.

by Anonymousreply 606/10/2013

I liked her songs from Vibes and the Goonies. Steven Spielberg forced her to jam the word "Goonies" into it as much as she could but it would've been a much better song without that.

by Anonymousreply 706/10/2013

I don't remember the word "Goonies" in that song all that much.

by Anonymousreply 806/10/2013

I got nervous when they said she would perform last night....

I thought she would end up singing that snoozer "Time After Time" (like she does every single time) but was pleasantly surprised when it ended up being "True Colors."

by Anonymousreply 906/10/2013

EGOT? Eternally Grand to Overt Transexuals?

by Anonymousreply 1006/10/2013

[quote] EGOT? Eternally Grand to Overt Transexuals?

Emmy, Grammy, Oscar, Tony

by Anonymousreply 1106/10/2013

I'll cut a bitch if I have to.

by Anonymousreply 1206/10/2013

I think I know what two of those are. Cannot muster the interest to search.

by Anonymousreply 1306/10/2013

If only she hadn't been robbed of that Best Actress Oscar she so deserved for "Vibes."

by Anonymousreply 1406/10/2013

r5, "Girls Just Want to Have Fun" had been a recent hit, so naturally Hollywood co-opted the title for a potential hit film.

It's been a common practice throughout the history of cinema, using a popular song title as the title of a later film.

by Anonymousreply 1506/10/2013

R15 the record company should of held off of the release of that song, until AFTER the movie was released.

Then Cyndi would have had a shot at that Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 1606/10/2013

btw Cyndi was off key on the Tony Awards, and reversed 3 stanzas.

by Anonymousreply 1706/10/2013

R16... there was NO movie in the works.

"Girls" was recorded in 1983 and charted in early 1984. The movie didn't come out until April of 85 and it wasn't even Cyndi Lauper singing the title song.

by Anonymousreply 1806/10/2013

"the record company should of held off of the release of that song, until AFTER the movie was released."

And YOU should have paid attention in your English grammar class, hon.

by Anonymousreply 1906/10/2013

Just to repeat myself, Cyndi didn't write "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun."

It was also written about four years before "She's So Unusual" was recorded.

by Anonymousreply 2006/10/2013

How could this movie be IGNORED by the Academy?

Interesting future Oscar winner Helen Hunt is billed LAST!

by Anonymousreply 2106/10/2013

Cover version of Girls Just Want To Have Fun from the movie.

After Cyndi refused to have her version be in the movie, TPTB were forced to re-record with another artist.

by Anonymousreply 2206/10/2013

They should just do away with the Oscar for best song. It's a useless category that lets unworthies like Elton John and that fat girl win Academy Awards.

by Anonymousreply 2306/10/2013

This sort of puts the nail in the coffin of the "irrelevancy" claims about her, now doesn't it?

BTW, I loved her speech. It was honest and touching. I didn't care for how she came off on the reality show, but I do think at she's a good person who truly cares about others. She just gets too high strung at times.

by Anonymousreply 2406/10/2013

Cyndi has stated she is very happy have a GET, Grammy, Emmy, Tony.

by Anonymousreply 2506/10/2013

GIRLS JUST WANT TO HAVE FUN: THE MOVIE was named as such because of the success of Cyndi's "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" (they even spelled out "WANT TO" instead of "Wanna"). Oscar wasn't even a thought because, a) the movie was not even in the league of Oscar bait and b) Cyndi's song came out BEFORE the movie.

by Anonymousreply 2606/10/2013

I'm an EGOT

by Anonymousreply 2706/10/2013

No Oscar for Hole in My Heart (That Goes All The Way To China)?

by Anonymousreply 2806/11/2013

Anyone get a comment from Madge on this?

by Anonymousreply 2906/11/2013

Somewhere, Madonna is having Guy Oseary comb her hair while she plots a musical victory to trump Lauper's.

#cicconesociopathforlife!

by Anonymousreply 3006/11/2013

Seeing Cyndi @ Greek Theater Thursday Can't wait

by Anonymousreply 3106/11/2013

R22, a commenter on there said that Cyndi has an uncredited cameo. Is that true? If so, why would she then not allow her version, which was the most popular one.

by Anonymousreply 3206/11/2013

[quote][R15] the record company should of held off of the release of that song, until AFTER the movie was released.

Uh, the movie's title is inspired by the song. The song was released in 1979; the movie was released in 1985.

by Anonymousreply 3306/11/2013

She needs a Golden Globe too for the sweep.

by Anonymousreply 3406/11/2013

And even if it would have been eligible for nomination, she wouldn't have been nominated herself as she did not write the song.

by Anonymousreply 3506/11/2013

This is the kind of thing Madonna should be doing, rather than chasing the past the way she has been. Good on Cyndi!

For the lazy: List of people who have won Academy, Emmy, Grammy, and Tony Awards

by Anonymousreply 3606/11/2013

I love Cyndi, but her reality show isn't helping me or anyone else from loving her any more.

She really does come across as a sort of jerk, a complete absentee spouse and parent and her kid is an absolute, entitled little bitch.

by Anonymousreply 3706/11/2013

Her husband has a recurring role on SVU as a sleazy defense lawyer.

by Anonymousreply 3806/11/2013

Has Sarah Jessica Parker tweeted her congrats?

After all she starred in the movie 'Girls Just Want To Have Fun'

by Anonymousreply 3906/11/2013

This song was the real gem from GJWTHF: Dancing in Heaven

by Anonymousreply 4006/11/2013

That peek of fur is lovely, R40.

by Anonymousreply 4106/11/2013

I think the Tony is kind of a useless award. Not quite as bad as a Grammy, but close. I mean - Best Musical? They can only have three nominees because only about 4 original musicals are released a year. So you're chances of at least being nominated for a Tony are pretty high.

Look at the actors. You can't tell me Tom Hanks was nominated because his performance was good - its because he's Tom Hanks. To be nominated for an Oscar, and to a certain extent an Emmy, your work has to be the best of the best usually. To be nominated for a Tony, if you're famous you just have to show up. If you're NY theater world famous, you just have to do passably well.

by Anonymousreply 4206/11/2013

I love that bit of trivia that Philip Michael Thomas actually coined the term EGOT but has yet to be nominated for any of the awards!

by Anonymousreply 4306/11/2013

I'm sick to death of "True Colors" - so played out.

by Anonymousreply 4406/11/2013

How did Bombshell do? And Hit List?

by Anonymousreply 4506/11/2013

R42, I agree

by Anonymousreply 4606/11/2013

[quote] To be nominated for a Tony, if you're famous you just have to show up.

That's what I thought, too.

by Anonymousreply 4706/11/2013

Madonna 'writes' insipid songs. She got no nominations for that lousy Bond movie she did (with more Vaseline than a Crawford movie)and the one she did for WE (others have said its not bad) she unwisely put too late in film. Can you imagine how insufferable she would be if she was an Oscar winner?

by Anonymousreply 4806/11/2013

Maybe they will adapt the musical version of Kinky Boots to a movie. Add a new song or two and bam, she might get her Oscar. It wouldnt matter that there was already a film version of Kinky Boots; the non-musical and musical versions of Hairspray exist simultaneously.

by Anonymousreply 4906/11/2013

That's like saying Glenn Close is only one win away from being an Oscar winner.

by Anonymousreply 5006/11/2013

The real mystery is why she got an Emmy. She's NOT an actress.

by Anonymousreply 5106/11/2013

It was for a guest appearance on "Mad About You." She may have won that Emmy twice.

by Anonymousreply 5206/11/2013

R48 seems hell bent on turning this into yet another Madonna thread.

Why?

What is it about this silly pop singer that has you creating thread after thread about her?

by Anonymousreply 5306/11/2013

The critics were right all along - Cyndi has ten times as much talent as Madonna and half the plastic surgery. Revenge is sweet!

by Anonymousreply 5406/11/2013

Well Madonna's Bond song was loads better than that nightmare Adele Skyfall caterwauling

by Anonymousreply 5506/11/2013

Cyndi wrote a song for the IT Off-Broadway musical about Imelda Marcos called Eleven Days.

Maybe they should turn that into the 2014 Slumdog Millionaire indie movie musical flick and give her the O she deserves.

by Anonymousreply 5606/11/2013

[quote]Well Madonna's Bond song was loads better than that nightmare Adele Skyfall caterwauling

Are you fucking joking? That auto-tuned electronic blips and bleeps piece of shit was AWFUL! It was voted as the worst Bond song of all time.

by Anonymousreply 5706/11/2013

R56 here. I should clarify the SONG is called Eleven Days. The musical is called Here Lies Love (not my favorite title).

by Anonymousreply 5806/11/2013

R57, but you liked "skyfall?" leeeeeeeeeeettt the skyyyyyyyyyyfuuuuuuuuuuuulllllllllll didn't we have ulllllllllllllllllllllll leeeeeeeeeeeeeeettttttt the sky fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuulllllllllll..........

by Anonymousreply 5906/12/2013

So what? I'm a MEGOT. Me got more money than all those bitches combined.

by Anonymousreply 6006/12/2013

The Cole Porter movie starring Kevin Kline was CALLED "DeLovely." WHY wasn't "DeLovely" nominated for Best Song??!? It's such a headscratcher!

by Anonymousreply 6106/12/2013

The drawings of celebs on the walls in Sardi used to be easy to recognize. I'd never recognize the one of Cyndi. She needs to find another artist.

by Anonymousreply 6206/12/2013

[quote]Look at the actors. You can't tell me Tom Hanks was nominated because his performance was good - its because he's Tom Hanks.

I disagree. I haven't seen Hanks' performance, but the Tony voters generally don't just hand out nominations because of how big someone's name is, how much hype they have, or how many tickets they sell. Ultimately, an actor has to earn a Tony nomination, which is why Blake Edwards, Jessica Lange, and Nicole Kidman (to name a few)didn't garner nominations for their high-profile stints. Even this year, CBS probably thought either Hanks or Broadway fave Nathan Lane would walk away with Lead Actor, hence trotting out their old costars Sally Field and Matthew Broderick to present, but the Tony voters weren't having any of it.

by Anonymousreply 6306/12/2013

Remember The Addams Family? Neither BeBe Neuwirth nor Nathan Lane got nominations.

They were good sports and showed up at the Tonys to present Best Actor & Actress in a musical.

by Anonymousreply 6406/12/2013

[quote]Tony voters generally don't just hand out nominations because of how big someone's name is

True. They hand out nominations on how big someone's tits are.

by Anonymousreply 6506/12/2013

And Madonna is the richest, biggest selling, most famous and influential female recording artist who has ever lived.

She just finished a record breaking tour and was named by Billboard as the top tour of the year and Madonna as the years highest paid musician

I don't think she gives a fuck about Cyndi "hasn't had a hit since 1989" Lauper.

But congratulations Cyndi you're talented in your own right, and I remember an interview you did with CNN a few yeard ago where you basically begged Madonna to duet with you

by Anonymousreply 6606/12/2013

R66 is "burning up" with Cyndi envy.

by Anonymousreply 6706/12/2013

PIX-11's Mary Murphy went to Ozone Park in Queens were Cyndi grew up at 95-11 104th Street. Neighbors who knew her then were interviewed. She was expelled from Richmond Hill High School, later received an Honorary Diploma.

Bernadette Peters is also from Ozone Park, north of Liberty Avenue.

by Anonymousreply 6806/12/2013

But first, of course, she has to win Celebrity Apprentice---because she is so fucking old that nobody here on DataLounge young and goodlooking knows who the fuck you are talking about.

by Anonymousreply 6906/12/2013

Cher is also only a Tony away from the EGOT. A bit more possible than Cyndi winning an OSCAR.

Cher should have done "Sunset Boulevard" when she was iffy about it in Toronto, then revive it on Broadway. Yes her voice is wrong for the part, but she is right in other ways.

She would still make a good Franknfurter in Rocky Horror. Not kidding.

Oh, yeah, she can act too. In many things better than stunt casting. But you would have to leave your house Cher.

Think of your fans and new wigs.

by Anonymousreply 7006/12/2013

Pigs will fly when that old bitch Lauper gets an academy award. What horseshit.

by Anonymousreply 7106/14/2013

R71, Cyndi could easily get an Oscar... for Best Song. That's the easiest category to win. I mean, who would've thought that Adele would be an Oscar-winner, but she wrote that James Bond song and -- voila! -- she's halfway on her way to an EGOT.

by Anonymousreply 7206/14/2013

R66 is insufferable.

by Anonymousreply 7306/14/2013

Cyndi's got Madonna's number.

by Anonymousreply 7406/14/2013

[quote] Pigs will fly when that old bitch Lauper gets an academy award. What horseshit.

She's actually one of the more impressive GETs so far b/c she won for three different talents. Best New Artist Grammy for her singing, Guest Actress in a Comedy Emmy for her acting, and Best Score of a Musical Tony for her composing & lyrics.

I wouldn't put an Oscar past her, honestly. Given the success of KB, her icon status, and the fact that she is the first solo woman EVER to win the Tony for Best Score, I could easily see Disney signing her up to score one of their big animated picture - her songs for KB are very much in that vein.

by Anonymousreply 7506/14/2013

R66, if you have a problem with the comment made (and I did not make it, you can trolldar it), why don't you make an attempt to explain your "insufferable" position?

I've always loved that word, insufferable. Thirty years working with men, and I've never heard a single man use the limpy word "insufferable". Tell us how it is insufferable to you, poor limpy lad?

by Anonymousreply 7606/14/2013

R66 is dead-on right with his comment, and I urge you all to read it. Cyndi or Cindi or WTF you spell her name, had a couple hits THIRTY YEARS AGO, THIRTY YEARS AGO, and you fuckers make her sound like she was Judy.

by Anonymousreply 7706/14/2013

R67, a dismissable flame.

by Anonymousreply 7806/14/2013

R75 lives under a bridge, with his many imaginary BFFs. What a lovely life.

by Anonymousreply 7906/14/2013

Cyndi always will be one of my favorites; I never stopped liking her and her work.......Madonna was the greater star, but her next 30 years will be spent in a Faye Dunaway-like spiral, IMO. I only see ever more bizarre-personal appearances from Madonna, as well as visits to get one or more of her kids bailed out of jail.

You just know those kids are headed for Bieber-like dramas.

by Anonymousreply 8006/14/2013

R80, the only spiral Madonna is currently experiencing is a huge tornado spiraling UPWARD if her biggest selling tour of 2.2 million persons and $350 million dollars is any evidence of any spiraling.

How much money did YOU make last year as a gay waiter?

by Anonymousreply 8106/14/2013

[quote]How much money did YOU make last year as a gay waiter?

More than you make kissing old Vadge's ass, who doesn't give a shit about you or gays.

by Anonymousreply 8206/14/2013

Scarlet Johannson has a Tony. Make of that what you will...

by Anonymousreply 8306/14/2013

The Tonys can be either snobby or vicious. Bette and Deborah Cox should've been nominated this year but both were snubbed. "Motown" was also snubbed for Best Musical despite it's box office.

by Anonymousreply 8406/14/2013

Cyndi didn't even write "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun". It was written and sung by Robert Hazard in 1979, and Cyndi changed some of the (sexist) lyrics and made it a hit in 1983.

by Anonymousreply 8506/14/2013

Cyndi had the kind of talent they didn't know what to do with. She did such a good job on Mad About You that they offered her a sitcom on NBC, but it didn't go anywhere. She was going to play the kooky head-mistress at a private school. Had Cyndi's career not been derailed in the 80's by her involvement with the WWF, she would probably be a much bigger star, but also, in a recent interview she said she is VERY content with how her life turned out. She likes being able to go out to dinner with her husband and not feeling like she's being stalked by the media

by Anonymousreply 8606/14/2013

This just in....Madonna to compose the score for a new Broadway show titled Puss N Boots!

by Anonymousreply 8706/14/2013

[quote]Had Cyndi's career not been derailed in the 80's by her involvement with the WWF, she would probably be a much bigger star

I honestly don't think the WWF stuff was the derailment of her career, but the fact that she spaced her '80's albums too far apart (3 years each). Instead of doing that terrible "Vibes" movie in 1988, she should have released an album that year. Also, her "A Night To Remember" album in 1989 did not keep up with production trends at the time, which was New Jack Swing and Dance Music. Even Cyndi herself calls that album "A Night To Forget".

The final nail in the coffin was her waiting until 1993 to release another album, and that 4 year break was a huge mistake. By that point she was 40 years old and her audience had moved on.

by Anonymousreply 8806/14/2013

Now she is 60 years old, and her audience is DEAD.

by Anonymousreply 8906/15/2013
Need more help? Click Here.