Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

GAME OF THRONES, 6/9/13, Season Finale: "Mhysa"

In King's Landing, news of the Red Wedding sparks dissent among the Lannisters.

At Slavers' Bay, Khaleesi waits to see if she will be seen as a conqueror or a liberator.

At Dragonstone, mercy comes from strange quarters.

And in the Northlands, Bran tells a ghost story.

Finally, if this is anything like the finales of the last two seasons, we're all in for a big surprise.

by Anonymousreply 15807/02/2013

While I expect we won't get to the next big wedding, I can guess what the likely big shock will be: we hear about it in retrospect in a later book, but it happens right after the events of last week's episode and would be a great way to keep up suspense until Season 4.

by Anonymousreply 106/09/2013

I don't get what Dany's ultimate plan is. She seems to be taking over these cities to get more soldiers to invade Westeros; but will she have enough soldiers now she's taken over this second city? Because I don't want season after season of her just taking over more and more cities.

by Anonymousreply 206/09/2013

Dany is building up her forces, and waiting for her dragons to grow ever bigger. When they are near grown, look out.

by Anonymousreply 306/09/2013

They're not fully grown now? How much bigger do they need to become?

by Anonymousreply 406/09/2013

R4, don't you remember the scenes of the Dragon skulls in seasons one and two?

Right now, they're only about as big as a person. Soon, their heads alone will be far bigger than a person.

by Anonymousreply 506/09/2013

Well imagine a rider on its back, directing great blasts of dragon fire...pretty hard to beat, huh?

by Anonymousreply 606/09/2013

Well, that's going to take a while for them to grow that big, no?

No wonder Dany has to fill her days conquering cities.

by Anonymousreply 706/09/2013

that is all

by Anonymousreply 806/09/2013

That was a snoozefest.

by Anonymousreply 906/09/2013

I love Arya and the Hound together.

by Anonymousreply 1106/09/2013

What R10 said.

I was surprised one good guy was spared. I was getting burned out that all the good guys get routinely killed.

by Anonymousreply 1206/09/2013

Well she was sort of manically laughing so maybe it's the producers' subtle critique of her budding messiah complex.

by Anonymousreply 1306/09/2013

On one minor point: Theon wasn't castrated in the books, or at least he kept his cock. It's referred in Dance of Dragons, in a way that indicates he can still get it up.

by Anonymousreply 1406/09/2013

What? No Tyrells?

by Anonymousreply 1506/09/2013

Thats not true R14, it isnt explicit but it is definitely implied Theon lost his cock and many readers assumed so. The show just made it clear.

Anyway, a slower episode for a finale but I enjoyed it. I was guessing it would be rather slow.

by Anonymousreply 1606/09/2013

Did everyone watch the Tony's instead? Only 12 posts??

by Anonymousreply 1706/09/2013

If you were expecting something exciting this week this episode was very disappointing...

by Anonymousreply 1806/10/2013

R18, the "exciting" events need to happen next season...too much background is required, and one hour-long episode isn't enough time.

This episode did a great job setting up those events, and gave us some reminders of the most dangerous army of all - the White Walkers.

The scene with Arya and the soldiers who were laughing about Robb+Grey Wind...I know she's becoming hardcore,

by Anonymousreply 1906/10/2013

Varys has become one of my favorite characters. He seems to do things for the best reasons.

by Anonymousreply 2006/10/2013

This was the dullest of the three season finales. The only interesting thing that happened was the revelation of Theon's tormentor--and maybe also the fact of Arya's first real murder. She is becoming one twisted little girl.

I liked Yara sailing off to save Theon against her nasty father's wishes.

It really seems to be true that to be the head of a powerful house in Westeros makes you a truly shitty human being: Balon Greyjoy, Tywin Lannister, Walder Frey, Roose Bolton... no wonder Ned and Robb Stark couldn't survive.

by Anonymousreply 2106/10/2013

I love the last scene, especially that last shot, but for the first time I find myself disappointed at Benioff/Weiss for not ending it the way a lot of book readers reasonably expected. Granted, it will show up next season but I don't think it'll be as effective, unless it's in the season premier.

by Anonymousreply 2206/10/2013

So... Ygritte is irredeemable to me now.

Jon Snow makes it back home. That's good. But I'm not sure how he survives in those times with three arrows in him like that. Obviously he does though.

It was rather quiet for a finale, but I have to say that I really enjoyed it.

by Anonymousreply 2306/10/2013

r22, if you were expecting tonight they would show the next big thing that happens in the book, that wasn't a reasonable expectation. There's far too much to set up before it, and far too much that happens immediately after it that's important they would have to cut out and postpone until next season. There would have been no way of doing all of it in one episode tonight.

by Anonymousreply 2406/10/2013

I wonder who will play Penny next season.

by Anonymousreply 2506/10/2013

How do the other Houses react to the White Walker warning? Are they going to scoff at it ?

Melisandre offered good advice to Stannis. He's unlikeable but at least he now knows where the real danger is.

by Anonymousreply 2606/10/2013

Best part of the episode was Arya killing for the first time. Saddest part as well.

by Anonymousreply 2706/10/2013

I'm glad that the producers played up the sexual undertones in Ramsay and Theon's dynamic last night.

From Ramsay figuratively eating "Theon's sausage" to the moment when Ramsay gets in Theon's face and you think he might kiss or lick him...very psycho-sexual.

by Anonymousreply 2806/10/2013

Theon's story continues to be boring and pointless, especially given his insignificance. Unless he somehow manages to kill Ramsay, Roosevelt and Walder as revenge for the Starks, then his character serves no purpose.

I, too, like Varys. There is something mysterious and dangerous about him even if he seems to be one of the kinder citizens of King's Landing. His actor is fantastic.

I did enjoy Tywin mildly respecting Tyrion for standing up to Joffrey regarding Sansa. Tywin will always be an asshole but that scene with Tyrion was fantastic.

I have been bored with Bran's story for weeks. There had better be something consequential that comes from his abilities.

I laughed when The Hound killed three of Frey's men and then immediately sat down and ate their meal. More focus should be placed on his and Arya's travels together.

by Anonymousreply 2906/10/2013

[quote]I did enjoy Tywin mildly respecting Tyrion for standing up to Joffrey regarding Sansa. Tywin will always be an asshole but that scene with Tyrion was fantastic.

That was a great scene. Especially Joffrey's malignant, impotent rage.

I noticed that Littlefinger has been missing from any episode for a while now... what's he up to?

by Anonymousreply 3006/10/2013

The last we saw him he had traveled to the Eyrie to try to marry crazy Lysa Arryn.

by Anonymousreply 3106/10/2013

One more thing. The costumes and production design on this show are vastly superior to anything else on television. There is fault to be found in the show's writing, directing and editing; but the wardrobe and sets are magnificent.

by Anonymousreply 3306/10/2013

I agree. It's often at a cinematic quality. They are definitely doing the story justice with the special effects.

by Anonymousreply 3406/10/2013

by Anonymousreply 3506/10/2013

The worst thing about this finale is that it's nearly a year before the next fucking episode.

by Anonymousreply 3606/10/2013

Loooooved the scene with Stannis and melisandre and whatshisface the Onion Knight, where Melisandre swivels unexpectedly and recognizes the real threat. It's one of my favorite turns in the book - that Stannis says fuck y'all and heads off to do what appears to be the right thing (although I'm starting to think that, well, things are more complicated than that...) Anyway that sun glowing outside the window of that short dark room was just so fucking good looking.

The show's getting better and better looking I think - they finally have the money to make things look BIG - like that ending scene with Dany.

I agree it was a troubling image, racially - the ultra-white female saving the blindly worshiping pack of browns. I do think the show has an eventual plan with regards to that sort of imagery though - I don't think they use it without realize what they're doing, that is.

I agree that it was a lot of set up but I mostly loved the episode. It got me super excited for the fourth season's story-lines even though some of them I know from reading the books aren't as thrilling as they were just set up to be...

I really was wishing we'd get the ending that we all theorized about though. That would've been a kick-ass exciting ending; as is the scene with Dany was nice but not really a knock-out.

by Anonymousreply 3706/10/2013

Is it wrong that I want Ramsay in me quite deeply?

by Anonymousreply 3806/10/2013

It's hard to believe that the Bolton's are possibly MORE fucked up than the Lannisters. Was it my imagination or did RAMsay have a bit of a hard on for Theon? The bit with the large sausage was just...too much. I sincerely hope that Walder and Roose Bolton get the grisly deaths they deserve. I found the scene with the Walder men parading Robb around wearing Grey Wind's head as disturbing as his death. I think Arya was more than justifed in killing the asshole who was bragging about doing that. I know it means that she is going to a very dark place but I relish watching her get revenge on everyone who has hurt her or her family. And she's quite the little actress. Pretending to be naive and harmless and the bit with the coin. Brilliant. I hate myself for thinking this but I thought Joffrey looked rather winsome in this episode. Loved the tag team bitch slapping he got from Twyin and Tyrion. And my Gendry lives! The Lord of Light likes him. He really likes him!

by Anonymousreply 3906/10/2013

Yes Ramsay has a sick and possessive streak where Reek is concerned. I think Alfie is doing a great job as his frightened prey.

by Anonymousreply 4006/10/2013

I thought the finale was fine. The penultimate episode is the crescendo and the final the denouement, tying up loose ends and setting things up for the next story arcs.

by Anonymousreply 4206/10/2013

It's a little hard to tell, but I'm beginning to think that it's wrong to describe GOT in terms of seasons, with story arcs and denouements and so on. Part of what renders this series so odd, from the traditional TV format, is that it just moves forward: characters, even ones you like, die or get killed off abruptly, and the world goes on, like it does in real life. You get used to it. The big themes are all there, but the traditional story framework is largely avoided.

Martin has to keep a whole lot of balls in the air in order to accomplish this, and the series producers have it even worse since 4/5 of a year passes between seasons. But so far they've done an amazing job.

One thing to note: in the book, Asha does not heroically set out to rescue her brother from Ramsay Bolton in Dreadfort; instead, she's trapped in a castle in the North. The writers are beginning to depart quite a lot from some of Martin's story elements.

by Anonymousreply 4306/10/2013

I agree with what you write, R43. I used "story arc" very loosely. But they do need to end the season with us knowing the present circumstances of all the characters which requires an episode that focuses on many characters. And I like that we see some of the fallout of a major event like the Red Wedding without being left with a cliffhanger.

by Anonymousreply 4406/10/2013

A most excellent write-up of this episode:

[bold]Did [italic]Game of Thrones[/italic] finally explain where power really comes from?[/bold]

On one level, last night's Game of Thrones was about parents and their damaged sons. (Along with the age-old maxim, "You broke it, you bought it.") But really, it was about offering one plausible answer to the question the show has been asking from the beginning: Where does power come from? Who really has it, and why?

Spoilers ahead...

(much more at the link)

by Anonymousreply 4506/10/2013

Thank god it's over.

Don't let the DL door hit you in your gigantic asses on the way out, ladies.

by Anonymousreply 4606/10/2013

See you next year, R46

by Anonymousreply 4706/10/2013

Surely you jest, r46. True Blood starts next week. If you think we're crazy for the eye candy on GoT, we go absolutely ape shit for Eric, Bill, Jason and Alcide. Your naivete is rather endearing. Come here and let Mama motorboat you with my tig ol bitties.

by Anonymousreply 4806/10/2013

I like Sansa better in the show. In the book, she's very cold towards Tyrion, even a bit cruel. I like that the show version brings out her warmth a bit, that she appreciates him to some extent. I'm really looking forward to her storyline next season and the introduction of "Alayne"

Regarding Asha, in the book, she's present in the Iron Islands for the Kingsmoot, then runs up to occupy Deepwood Motte. Maybe they're going to bypass much of the boring Iron Island sections of book 4 and get her up north sooner than we expect. Iron Island story lines bore me to tears. They can't cut enough of them out.

by Anonymousreply 4906/10/2013

I also love the costumes. Rich textures. Interesting patterns. It makes me want to go get some upholstery fabric and make some jackets,

by Anonymousreply 5006/11/2013

Jesus, Datalounge-- Primetime ALL DAY? Why would traffic be so high on a Monday? Tony aftermath? I don't get it.

Anyway, I liked the finale a lot. It was great to see at least one reunion in Jon and Sam Tarly. I also liked the bit with Arya taking out the coin. Looks like this is beginning of her being more and more like Jaquen.

I wonder how things will go with Cersei and Jaime now that he's gone through so much. Hard for me to imagine him being the same evil bastard he was before. I hope he calls Cersei out on her shit.

by Anonymousreply 5106/11/2013

R51, do you think she'll still fuck him, now that he lost his sword-hand?

by Anonymousreply 5206/11/2013

It's not his hand I'm after.

by Anonymousreply 5306/11/2013

Cersei did not look happy to see his missing hand

by Anonymousreply 5406/11/2013

Agree, doubt Cersei will be sharing a bed with Jamie anytime soon. I must admit, I was surprised. Thought Cersei's feelings for Jamie was genuine but that look on her face.... my bet is romance over.

by Anonymousreply 5506/11/2013

It's not just you R38. I'd let Ramsey fuck me raw.

by Anonymousreply 5606/11/2013

Random question: How does Theon urinate without a penis?

by Anonymousreply 5706/11/2013

Even moreso, R57, how did Theon not die when this happened - or afterwards, in the less-than-sterile dungeon?

by Anonymousreply 5806/11/2013

Why was there no seeping wound? I'm thinking he used a hot sword?

by Anonymousreply 5906/11/2013

I haven't read the books but I predict things will change between Cersei and Jaime. Just a feeling but I can't imagine the romantic devotion will still be there after all that's happened.

If I were Loras I would get my ass out of KL. To marry Cersei when she's got her brother on the side. Ewww.

by Anonymousreply 6006/11/2013

When will Joffrey be killed? Will it be early in the next season or will they wait until the last two episodes.

Move it along GoT... the drag is getting old.

by Anonymousreply 6106/11/2013

R55, R60 Jamie and Cersei together? What happens next is interesting. A bit of a curveball before we find out who is noble and who is not.

The damaged son bit? Once again the evil Lannisters haven't won anything yet.As we are seeing some of the Lannisters are not as bad as we had thought. Tywin's arrogance towards his kin will be his great undoing. He not only lords over them BUT doesn't appreciate their cleverness. He will certainly live to regret his lack of awareness towards his children.

R51 Great foreshadowing by the TPTB. This is only the beginning for Arya's transformation. It's the first taste of what is to come......

by Anonymousreply 6206/11/2013

R62, she does not transform much in the last two books. Not much of interest happens to her except for possibly one event, and much like Bran's current journey, it drags out much longer than it should and it often becomes dull.

by Anonymousreply 6306/11/2013

It won't be that hot actor Tom Wlaschiha when Jaqen shows up again, will it, since he shapeshifted? damn! he's so hot.

by Anonymousreply 6406/11/2013

Yes, the HBO series has faithfully adapted the books, but there have been some changes as well, although, the basic storyline is comparatively unaltered.

When movies are adapted from novels, or well known news stories made into films, there's always dramatic license, and there are always measures to save money but cutting out certain plot elements, or to string viewers along, to elevate a popular character, etc.

So even though some have read the books, I'm not entirely convinced certain things will unfold as they do in the books, if at all. I do know that if things continue in the direction they're going, there will be some pretty expensive episodes to film.

I was struck by how artfully they filmed the slaughtering of Robb's soldiers in the aftermath of the RW. they have Roose looking down, surveying the slaughter amid all the campfires, etc. They really didn't have to use a lot of men for that.

We need to start a petition to bring back the cute assassin who helped Arya escape Harrenhal, Ja'gen. I loved his soft voice and his manner of speaking. He was quite seductive. Once Sansa gets over her pain, I think she & Tyrion will make a fun couple. She can learn a lot from him.

by Anonymousreply 6506/11/2013

Loras can't leave KL until after his sister's wedding.

by Anonymousreply 6606/11/2013

R63 I was not referring to Cersei per se but what happens between Cersei and her brother/lover. I think that certain soap opera fans will squeal in a swinish glee if they follow the books to the letter on that front.

Everybody loves Arya's freind,Jaquen don't they? That actor was quite good. The problem is that Jaquen is a shapeshifter.If and when he comes back you might see him in a new guise/character.Maybe the producers will use the original actor to show us that it is definitely Jaquen. Such is not the case in the books though......

by Anonymousreply 6706/11/2013

In the book, when Jaime returns to King's Landing, the first thing he does is see Cersei, and they have passionate, white-hot monkey sex, which is described in loving detail. Afterwards, Jaime tells Cersei they should marry and fuck all what the world would say. Cersei is appalled by the suggestion.

In the series, they just show him arriving in her bedroom, and leave it at that. I suppose they're leaving it to the viewer to guess the rest and don't want to gross you out.

by Anonymousreply 6806/11/2013

I thought Stannis Baratheon was supposed to be some big believer in his "rightful claim" as King Robert's heir?

If that's true, why is he taking the throne from Gentry.

by Anonymousreply 6906/11/2013

Hated the ending - was hoping for a better cliffhanger. And the Theon storyline is going on far too long.

I know how it should've ended, but I won't say due to it being a spoiler.

by Anonymousreply 7006/11/2013

Someone said on another thread how the show is different from the book cuz Theon's sister doesn't go after him but is she actually doing it or dreaming of doing it?

by Anonymousreply 7106/11/2013

And Jaime isn't back in King's Landing before his son's wedding in the book, is he?

At any rate, I have to confess I'm finding this series a bit of a bore. Maybe it's because I read the books and am just sort of waiting for things to happen without there being any real sense of suspense... It's just all seeming a bit relentless, like a very depressed soap opera. Every discussion is weighed down with portent, every encounter needs to include some over the top faceoff, every character needs to revert to type almost immediately after showing a little variety (Cersei does this all the time, appearing a little sympathetic only to go directly back to hideousness). I don't think the characters are anywhere near as complex as people really want them to be, because they ultimately have to serve these typical roles, and as fictional creations really just throw off an occasional interesting oddball quality that never becomes a real part of their personality.

Even the actors seems to have fallen into playing basically one emotion most of the time. Cersei is just little more than a brooding set of knit brows, her brother's just kind of handless and sad, Brienne is Offended Honor, Jon just looks baffled and squinty, Tyrion looks concerned or Kinder And Wiser Than Anyone Knows, Sansa cries, Arya looks stricken and belligerent, Dany is the Sententious Mother of Dragons. And the tone and setting is extremely monochromatic. It's just kind of...all grey and Terribly, Terribly Portentous.

by Anonymousreply 7206/11/2013

R68 You giving just a tidbit but I'll just say that Jamie is far more pragmatic than we think he is.He's learned a thing or two since he's been in captivity and on the run.

by Anonymousreply 7306/11/2013

R73 is a killjoy.

by Anonymousreply 7406/11/2013

He threw a kid (not just a kid but a STARK)out a window. I don't want him to be redeemed...

by Anonymousreply 7506/11/2013

r72, no one is forcing you to watch it.

by Anonymousreply 7606/11/2013

R73 is a witless and clueless cunt! Go over to the GOOP threads if you truly want to get spoiled if you want to. Or try to construct something better than an inane and silly response.

R72 Jl's reappearance is different in the book. I wonder if they will show the utterly tasteless love scene that happens in the book. Probably one of the kinkiest things that happens in the books.

by Anonymousreply 7706/11/2013

I'm aware of that r76--I was expressing an opinion, not trying to step on your incredibly sensitive fanboy toes. Forgive me, put your sword back on and go back to wanking to Renfest dick pix, you cunt.

by Anonymousreply 7806/11/2013

R76 - have you been WANKING to dix pics? And is there a Refest?

by Anonymousreply 7906/11/2013

I actually meant R74 not R73.

R78 It's all good. I've talked to people who love the show and think the books are one big snoozefest.

R74/R79 Go to hell you hypersexual fiend. Not everything is about sex on this show...;)

by Anonymousreply 8006/11/2013

[quote]Not everything is about sex on this show...;)

The books are another story...

by Anonymousreply 8106/11/2013

Yeah, Martin has some seriously bent kinks. There is a sex scene that happens next to someone's son's dead body! God and I thought soap operas were depraved......

by Anonymousreply 8206/11/2013

To elaborate, Jamie's return in the series comes at a different time chronologically than it does in the book. In the book, there are some important events that occur before his return, which they are no doubt saving for next season. I think the series wanted to get him back to King's Landing early, so that this season at least could mark the end of one chapter of his story.

by Anonymousreply 8306/11/2013

[quote]It's just kind of...all grey and Terribly, Terribly Portentous.

That's because Winter is Coming.

by Anonymousreply 8406/11/2013

[quote]If that's true, why is he taking the throne from Gentry.

Gendry cannot have any claim to the throne since he is an illegitimate bastard. Just like Jon has no claim to Winterfell even though he is older than Robb. Bastards don't get claims unless they are legitimized by the King and neither Joffrey or Stannis has any interest in doing that for obvious reasons.

by Anonymousreply 8506/11/2013

Why doesn't Stannis force Gendry to marry his scale faced daughter? Or at least get betrothed to her? She'll never get a husband, and marrying her half cousin wouldn't be so bad. Then Stannis can legitimize Gendry in order to make sure his daughter's offspring gets to be the King of all Westeros and beyond. I would.

Spoiler alert: In the book Jamie fisted Cersei in her butt with the stub of his handless arm. It was really a hot scene. She writhed and moaned and struggled to resist him, but in the end she came screaming like a banshee.

by Anonymousreply 8606/11/2013

Jesus Christ was I drunk when I read that book, I have no recollection of that at all.

by Anonymousreply 8706/11/2013

Stannis can achieve the same thing with any man, R86. When she's the only child of the King she will not want for suitors.

by Anonymousreply 8806/11/2013

r86, why would Stannis want to marry his daughter to a lowborn bastard? Remember, he is styling himself as King. That means that his daughter is a princess, scale-face or not. Also, given the fact that she is his only child, she would be next in line for the throne.

by Anonymousreply 8906/11/2013

But Gendry is of royal blood.

by Anonymousreply 9006/11/2013

It doesn't matter, especially to Stannis who is rigid with issues honor,decorum and the letter of the law. Why would he have to marry his heir to a bastard when he could easily arrange her to be married to any lord?

by Anonymousreply 9106/11/2013

In most of the lands of Westeros, a lordly or royal bastard has some privileges but is usually considered unfit for the highest honors (and is forbidden usually from marrying legitimate noble/royal children). Thus though Jon Snow could be brought up with Ned Stark's legitimate children, he is not considered their social equal and was expected when he grew up to volunteer for the Night's Watch (which is exactly what he did). Thus Gendry would not be considered fit to marry a princess like Shireen Baratheon (despite her disfigurement).

Ramsay Bolton is a special case--IIRC, Ramsay Bolton has no surviving legitimate sons, and wants to legitimize Ramsay (which can be done by the king's dispensation).

The kingdom of Dorne (which we have yet to see on the TV show) is different, as they are with regard to most Westerosi rules pertaining to family life. In Dorne, bastard children are considered no more or less socially acceptable than legitimate children, and they also can inherit from their fathers. Dorne is also the only land that does not recognize that sons inherit over daughters according to the laws of primogeniture.

by Anonymousreply 9206/11/2013

No, no. Mhysa stay. Mhysa culled Jar Jar Binks. Mhysa your humble servant.

by Anonymousreply 9306/11/2013

Dorne also calls the high lord "Prince" and refused to give up that title when they finally merged with the rest of Westeros.

When Aegon Targaryen landed in Westeros and conquered the Seven Kingdoms he could not do so with Dorne. The geography of Dorne makes it very advantageous for House Martell in that the only way an invading force can enter is through two narrow passages through the mountains called the Prince's Pass and the Boneway.

So when Aegon sent his sister Rhaenys to deal with the Dornish, they harried her army at every turn and then melted back into the mountains. They defeated them through guerilla warfare, picking their forces off one by one.

For 200 years the Dragon Kings tried and failed to conquer Dorne until the last free kingdom of Westeros was finally brought into the fold through a marital alliance. Ever since the Targaryens and the Martells have held a special relationship with each other.

Even now, House Martell and the Dornish maintain a level of autonomy and relative freedom from the Iron Throne.

by Anonymousreply 9406/11/2013

I am assuming and hoping R86 is joking about that reunion.

by Anonymousreply 9506/11/2013

I just got into Game of Thrones watching Season 3 over the past couple weeks, then finished Season 2 the day before the finale. The day after the finale I started Season 1. It is absolute shocking to compare the Jamie in the Season 1 opener to the Jamie who faces Cersei at the end of the Season 3 finale. I've actually really enjoyed working my way backward through the series, I've never done it before, it's a puzzle. Although I was a little spoiled, unfortunately, with the Red Wedding just because of the online uproar... so I knew something momentous would happen, and I knew Robb had died by the Season finale.

I thought the ending of Mhysa, with the Adiemus music and the wave upon wave of poor brown Moroccan extras was in really bad taste, probably the worst single scene in the series so far. The ethnicity thing is really tricky, though. I'm not sure the best way to handle it...

by Anonymousreply 9606/11/2013

Iwan Rheon said he wanted his scene with Theon to be quite sexual.

by Anonymousreply 9706/11/2013

[quote]Iwan Rheon said he wanted his scene with Theon to be quite sexual.

by Anonymousreply 9806/11/2013

FYI, R92, Roose Bolton is the father, the guy who killed Robb Stark at Tywin's behest. Ramsay Snow is his bastard son's name. He's the pervert who is toruring Theon Greyjoy, and re-named him Reek.

by Anonymousreply 9906/11/2013

His name is Ramsey Snow.

by Anonymousreply 10006/11/2013

Interview with Iwan Rheon

by Anonymousreply 10106/11/2013

They didn't really need to keep the character's name a secret. Ramsay Snow would not have given his identity away. We'd only have known he was a bastard.

by Anonymousreply 10206/11/2013

[quote]They didn't really need to keep the character's name a secret. Ramsay Snow would not have given his identity away. We'd only have known he was a bastard.

It's not so much about the audience as it is Ramsay not wanting Theon to know who he was. He enjoying mindfucking him and keeping him confused as to who he is and where he is.

by Anonymousreply 10306/11/2013

[quote]Access: So tell me about filming the actual scene where you re-name Theon ‘Reek’? Was that tough to film?

[quote]Iwan: It was tough to film in the sense [that] I had to eat a sausage for a whole morning — [a] big sausage with mustard on it all morning. And bless the guys, they gave me a nice sausage, but after you’ve eaten sausage for about four hours, you’ve kind of had enough. … I wanted it to be quite sexual… because he’s kind of like [a] weird little asexual thing, but he’s not asexual. But he’s weird. … I wanted it to be erotic, almost, and it was weird doing that and I’m right in his face and it’s pretty brutal what I’m doing to him. It was a hard day’s filming… and Alfie, bless him, up on that cross all day. It’s not nice for him.

by Anonymousreply 10406/11/2013

r94, that’s why the Martells and the Kingdom of Dorne is my favorite family/kingdom in GoT. I can’t wait to see them, especially Ser Oberyn Martell. He’s such a bad ass. I hope they have them look as Martin writes them – people of color, like Middle-Eastern.

by Anonymousreply 10506/11/2013

Yeah, you could tell Iwan Rheon was making the scene a little sexual and it worked, made Ramsay seem appropriately creepy and crazy.

by Anonymousreply 10606/11/2013

Does anyone know when the next season starts

by Anonymousreply 10706/12/2013

March 2014

by Anonymousreply 10806/12/2013

jesus fuck that's like a year from now.

so pissed there was no lady stoneheart in the finale. would have been an awesome cliffhanger.

by Anonymousreply 10906/12/2013

I agree r109! It's the first time in 3 seasons and 30 episodes that Benioff and Weiss disappointed me. That would've been quite a nice thing to do, especially for those who are tired of the Starks getting constantly shitted on by the Lannisters.

by Anonymousreply 11006/12/2013

Including that a week later would have been a terrible idea that completely undercut the Red Wedding and fuck with peoples expectations since the has been one scene with Stoneheart.

by Anonymousreply 11106/12/2013

I just don't agree with that argument r111. Taking into account all three seasons and what the Starks have been through, it wouldn't kill the show or undercut the absolute brutality of the Red Wedding by showing the birth of Lady Stoneheart. It would've gave just a little hope to those who are tired of this lopsided Lannister vs. Stark battle. Plus, it would serve as something great to hold onto to and serve as a equally great prologue of sorts to the karmic balance that will take place next season.

by Anonymousreply 11206/12/2013

I get you 112 but keeping it for next season allows for season 4 to have it set the tone for that season where the viewer will get to enjoy a few scale balancing victories.

by Anonymousreply 11306/12/2013

Actually r113, I stand corrected. Looking at it that way, I agree with that! :-)

by Anonymousreply 11406/12/2013

We need more time in Primetime.

by Anonymousreply 11506/12/2013

I have a feeling that much like all the added Theon this season they're going to add more Lady Stoneheart to the proceedings than we've gotten in the books.

Well either that they'll cut her entirely - we still don't know why she's around anyway. Maybe GRRM has no purpose for her at all and that actress will just move on to a new project. Didn't she sign up for a role on Suits just recently?

by Anonymousreply 11606/12/2013

R96. I was imagining that scene with a crowd of redheads instead of Somalies.

by Anonymousreply 11706/12/2013

Stoneheart is too great a character not to be on the series. She's a great mindfuck and keeps alive the idea that as long as Arya,Sansa,Jon Snow, Bran ,Rickon and someone else in the Stark family(Stoneheart) are still around, the Lannisters haven't won anything.

by Anonymousreply 11806/12/2013

R57 he still has a urethra so that's what he'll use

by Anonymousreply 11906/14/2013

Remember when Arya asked whether they could bring her father back to life after he was beheaded? The fact they showed his wolf's head on Robb's corpse says he can't be resurrected, but it's not the end of House Stark. Blackfish is still alive, too.

I have one fear, though. At the end of the day, is this series going to be reduced to a version of Walking Dead? We've seen enough of the Whitewalkers and the wites, and the glow in the dark eyes, and that army of dead people on rotting horses. So is this going to end up as a Zombie war?

They'll have Jon Snow, Mance Rayder, Stannis and Jamie Lannister, Tyrion and Dany, and her gang fighting the zombies? I mean next season Will we see the further adventures of Arya? Not much going on there unless she and Hound become hired guns, killing people for a living.

Sansa and Tyrion ,and Jamie and Cersei will all have to deal with Daddy. Little Finger and Lysa will be marginally important,or not at all, and maybe Varys will emerge as a real behind the scenes power if Tywin doesn't kill him.

I believe Joffrey's days are numbered, but not sure who, how, or when he leaves us. My guess is Joffrey will get the same speech from Granddad as Tyrion got, and he will make Margaery pregnant. While she's giving birth, Joffrey has an accident, courtesy of Tywin, and he's done for.

In any case, the three focuses next year will be on Jon, & possibly Stannis, and the Wildings at the Wall, the soap opera intrigues of Kings Landing, and the continuing march of Dany the Liberatrix. All the rest will be diversions. That's my prediction.

by Anonymousreply 12006/14/2013

[quote]We've seen enough of the Whitewalkers and the wites, and the glow in the dark eyes, and that army of dead people on rotting horses.

Have we? We haven't even gotten enough of it in the books to really quantify the threat they pose.

by Anonymousreply 12106/14/2013

We've heard at least twice on the show that they won't be able to stop them, they're coming. Melisandre said so, and those two kids who are traveling with Bran said so to Samwell.

On the show, in the very first episode we learn about the threat and we see what they can do.

We have the one who steals Caster's sons. And don't forget about the two who get into the Nightwatch Commander's quarters. Of course the ending to Season 2 showed us an entire Zombie army heading for the Wall.

So how can we avoid seeing them in much greater numbers from here on in. YOu have the Wildings fleeing south, going to the Wall, and the Army of Zombies goingtowards the Wall. Call them Whitewalkers and wights or whatever you like, but it seems GRRM is leading us in that direction.

I believe this is a fable wherein GRRM will tell us whether mankind can unite against a common enemy or simply destroy themselves thru fighting against one another in the face of a greater threat. It's sort of a cliché.

by Anonymousreply 12206/14/2013

I guess my point is that, in comparison to the sometimes excruciating detail given to all the other plot elements, the white walkers haven't made much of an impression so far. To hear that they're coming doesn't really give anyone an idea of what they're coming to do, and they're mostly just all-purpose boogeymen so far. What are they, really? What did they start out as? Are they looking for the zombie's traditional feast of brains or something else? It sometimes seems like GRRM lost interest in them, but is now committed, so does the bare minimum concerning them.

by Anonymousreply 12306/14/2013

Well, fine. But what was the deal with Caster leaving out the male babies for the Whitewalker to get? What did the Whitewalker do with the baby if not eat it? I mean they did say that he "sacrificed" his male babies to keep them at bay.

As far as I can see, we know that whitewalkers and those dead men who got into the commander's quarters can be killed by dragon glass or fire. We know Dany has dragons who breathe fire, and we know that the whitewalkers seem to thrive in the cold. "Winter is coming."

So does this mean whitewalkers are no threat to the warm lands where Dany is? It seems they are a threat only as winter converges on the kingdom of Westeros.

The dragon glass they show us looks to me like igneous rock. That's a glasslike rock that's created by volcanic activity melting stone. I think.

So Dany has these three dragons that can be used as a force for good or for evil if unleashed. Can they be controlled or will they at some point go nuts when they grow up?

Will someone kill her dragons? The Westeros will be defenselessfrom the Whitewalkers. But. If we know whitewalkers are vulnerable to fire and dragonglass, then, what makes dragons vulernable? We know dragons can be defeated because they have dragon skeletons at King's Landing right?

See. There are so many questions. Meanwhile Jon Snow and the gang are going to be facing Whitewalker armies of zombies, and facing one another. Who's left standing?

Maybe a whitewalker will get into Joffrey's bedroom and smash his head open looking for brains to eat. That would be a great episode #9 for season 5.

by Anonymousreply 12406/14/2013

The White Walkers are not zombies. They're a magical race that on this show have skeletal bodies, glowing blue eyes, and white skin, and voices like breaking ice. They are incredibly skilled warriors, and are unkillable except for fire and dragonglass (which seems to be obsidian). They also have the magical ability to restore the people and animals they've killed back to an undead life forced to be their slaves as wights.

We saw a White Walker last season riding a horse wight. The wights are also seemingly unkillable except for fire (and I would assume also dragonglass).

The White Walkers seem interested in conquest, but I don't think they eat brains or devour human flesh--nor do the wights. I'm not sure why the White Walker wanted Craster's male babies--to make wights out of them?

Hope this clears things up.

by Anonymousreply 12506/14/2013

The only thing we have seen kill a White.Walker is dragon glass, fire killed the zombie wights they created, not an actual White Walker.

by Anonymousreply 12606/14/2013

What is dragon glass?

by Anonymousreply 12706/14/2013

The stuff the knives were made of.

Remember the one that killed the White Walker?

by Anonymousreply 12806/14/2013

[quote] Of course the ending to Season 2 showed us an entire Zombie army heading for the Wall.

They weren't really heading for the Wall, they were heading for the Fist of the First Men, the big rock that the Night's Watch party were camped out on.

I don't think the White Walkers are going to be heading to the Wall until "winter has come."

by Anonymousreply 12906/14/2013

Dragon glass looks like obsidian.

by Anonymousreply 13006/14/2013

I'm still wondering why, when Sam ran into the White Walker army, they did not seem to see him. As everyone likes to point out the guy is as big as a fucking house, so how is it they missed him when they walked right by him?

by Anonymousreply 13106/14/2013

[quote]What is dragon glass?

by Anonymousreply 13206/14/2013

Here's my guess for why they are keeping Theon around - eventually he & Ramsay will become lovers (with him as the submissive one of course). He'll gain the trust of Ramsay & company, but eventually redeem himself (and reclaim his manhood) by killing Ramsay, Bolton & Frey. That's the only reason I can keep of for keeping him around because the torture scenes are just gross and compared to some others, Theon wasn't really that bad. That's how he'll make peace with the remaining Starks.

by Anonymousreply 13306/16/2013

The Boltons are keeping Theon alive because they believe (falsely) that he is a bargaining chip with the elder Greyjoy. Ramsey does seem to have a psycho-sexual fascination for Theon but probably can't admit to any homosexual impulses which is why he castrated him. He also seems to have a raging case of penis envy. I wonder if Ramsey is impotent or has a tiny peen.I don't know if the showrunners are bold enough to make Theon Ramsey's sexual toy along with all the torture porn. Of course, Jaimie pushed Brann out the window after he saw Cersei and Jaimie having sex, and that was pretty shocking, but it was a major plot line in the book. Is Ramsey as sadistic in the books as he is on the show?

by Anonymousreply 13406/16/2013

R134 Yes, Ramsey is just as sick in the books as he is on the show. He gets worse as the story goes on.

by Anonymousreply 13506/16/2013

Well, that is something to look forward to, r135. Yikes. I think the actor who plays Ramsey is brilliant. His evil Hobbity look works perfectly for this character. I'm guessing only Joffrey is more hated at this point. Joffrey and Ramsey have a lot in common. They are both sexual sadists with major Daddy issues. Roose Bolton and Walder Frey betrayed Robb because of politics and greed. Ramsey is torturing Theon because he likes it and it turns him on. He is one scary guy. He probably scares the shit out of his own father. That's saying something.

by Anonymousreply 13606/16/2013

Sorry, when I said why "they" are keeping Theon around, I meant the GoT writers since (as many people have already pointed out) the Theon story line has outlined his usefulness since Robb is dead and the Greyjoys clearly aren't major players. At least I hope this story has some point to it all since the whole Theon/Ramsay thing is pretty sick.

by Anonymousreply 13706/16/2013

[quote]. I think the actor who plays Ramsey is brilliant.

You need to check out BBC's "Misfits" (I watched on BBC America). It's sort of like a gritty UK version of "Heroes", sorta.

by Anonymousreply 13806/16/2013

Mhysa thought this episode was shit.

by Anonymousreply 13906/17/2013

My predictions:

Dany makes it back to Westeros once dragons are born. Everything goes mostly well until Dany is tragically killed. (GRRM loves killing leads, and what could be more shocking than Dany dying. Of course, he's obsessed with her so she'll make it towards the end.

Anyway, her dragons go crazy and things look bad for everyone especially with the White Walkers finally invading.

Bran will manage to regain control of the dragons. I feel his whole story is leading up to him learning to control them.

The dragons will help Bran and Jon Snow fight off the white walkers and bring peace to the kingdoms. Jon then ends up becoming king once his parents are revealed, and Bran becomes King of the North where his powers can help guard the Wall.

by Anonymousreply 14006/17/2013

r140, I can't see Martin building up Dany story as much as he has just to have her not have some type of leadership position. She'll be queen and Jon, who I'm starting to think is Targaryen, will probably be her consort. I think she's going to go crazy like her father King Aerys. Remember, he wasn't always mad.

by Anonymousreply 14106/17/2013

But if she goes crazy liker her father, won't that ruin her legend? It'd be ending her legacy on a sour note, if he kills her she can die heroically. I can't imagine her being alive and ruling as Queen, that's too predictable, and that's not Martin. I also imagine the dragons growing out of control enough where only Bran can control them and for that Dany probably needs to die, otherwise she'd continue controlling them.

by Anonymousreply 14206/17/2013

What about Aegon? If he's actually Aegon and not an imposter, then he's the next Targaryen in line, not Dany. Even if Jon's his half-brother, Aegon is still older. I think everyone's going on the assumption that Aegon is an imposter of some sort, though I think he really believes he's Aegon.

by Anonymousreply 14406/17/2013

I posted this in the wrong thread. I started watching GoT a couple weeks ago. Did a marathon viewing because of you guys. I wanted to see what the big deal was. I'm hooked. I queued up season three on my On Demand only to discover the season finale is not available. Wtf? Does HBO always do that? I thought as soon as something aired, you could watch it On Demand. I'm pissed.

by Anonymousreply 14506/19/2013

I have Time Warner episode 10 is available...

by Anonymousreply 14606/19/2013

House Bolton needs Theon because he's the only one who knows the Stark boys are still alive so he's very important if Roose ever hopes to find and presumably eliminate Bran and Rickon.

Also, Theon keeps the psychotic bastard Ramsay occupied and not fucking things up for his father's plans. Remember that it is now Roose who is Warden of the North. Imagine Ramsay running around making trouble...all the other Northern lords would rebel of Ramsay was creating chaos everywhere. Theon keeps him busy.

Roose is ruthless and brutal but Ramsay is evil personified.

by Anonymousreply 14706/19/2013

Though Ramsey is horrifying evil, in a way Roose is worse as he's fully aware of how barbaric his son is and yet uses this to keep others in line.

by Anonymousreply 14806/19/2013

[quote]House Bolton needs Theon because he's the only one who knows the Stark boys are still alive so he's very important if Roose ever hopes to find and presumably eliminate Bran and Rickon.

But he has no idea where they are.

by Anonymousreply 14906/19/2013

[quote]Sorry, when I said why "they" are keeping Theon around, I meant the GoT writers since (as many people have already pointed out) the Theon story line has outlined his usefulness since Robb is dead and the Greyjoys clearly aren't major players.

They're keeping him around because Martin keeps him around. Theon is still alive if not well at the end of book 5 so Martin clearly has some purpose for him.

by Anonymousreply 15006/19/2013

Also, Roose had a purpose for Theon in the books, though I don't want to provide any spoilery info.

by Anonymousreply 15106/19/2013

I agree that Dany's gonna die at some point. It just seems to me that's his ultimate trump card left on the table - the biggest "Fuck you" he can do to the sort of traditional narrative he keeps saying "Fuck you" to over and over and over again.

by Anonymousreply 15206/19/2013

I have Cox. I am almost certain that the episode was there a couple days ago. What a fuck nut cable is.

by Anonymousreply 15306/19/2013

R151 Judging from the last episode they might be deviating from the books on Theon just a bit. It should be interesting to see what happens relative to his books.

by Anonymousreply 15406/20/2013

Yesterday i was walking down Fifth Avenue and saw Jamie Lanister (Nikolaj etc, etc.) walking with his young kids and wife. he is handsome in person, very tall with a strong jaw and beautiful legs and feets (he was wearing shorts and sandals!)

by Anonymousreply 15506/20/2013

I just watched all 3 series and I kind of agree with R73. It's getting to be a bit of a bore. Enough with Bran being traipsed around (Hodor!) and rolling his eyes backwards. I hope Brienne isn't too important a character to the plot because I find the actress who plays her very one-note. She's more chivalrous than any knight, I get it. I guess you don't have much of a choice when it comes to 6'3" actresses, though. It's a narrow field, I'm sure.

I also find the torture scenes tedious and pointless. I get it -- Ramsey is a psychopath. He's broken Theon and Theon will eventually do whatever Ramsey says. I'm guessing Ramsey gets to be the series Psychopath in Chief if/when the current one disappears.

I kind of wonder about Lady Stoneheart. Isn't that a bit gruesome for tv -- even for HBO? But I guess she will become a character, because we've already seen the guy from the Brotherhood work his magic. If they weren't going to do the Stoneheart character, there wouldn't have been much of a point in showing resurrection. I guess it will just be less gruesome-looking on tv than what I've read online.

I hope this is the last city-state conquered by Dany because I am tired of her haughty kiss-my-feet-and-surrender-your-city-or-else 'tude.

I have to say the actor who plays Caitlin's brother is quite good. I've seen him play several very different types of roles in various shows and he's always convincing. I can't figure out if Varys is a good guy or a bad guy posing as a good guy. His "for the good of the realm" schtick sounds do phony. And I liked Gwen in Downton Abbey but was turned off by all of her talk abiut her vajayjay. Even Gareth from The Office kept referring to her vadge. I mean -- TMI, people.

The Hound reminds me of the Jason Robards character in Once Upon a Time in the West.

by Anonymousreply 15606/27/2013

Why does everyone in Winterfell wear furs? It's summertime. Winter is coming, but it ain't here yet.

by Anonymousreply 15706/28/2013

The role of Oberyn Martell has supposedly been cast - a Chilean actor called Pedro Pascal.

by Anonymousreply 15807/02/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!