Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Prince Harry praised for saving soldier from homophobic attack

Prince Harry praised for saving soldier from homophobic attack

by Joseph Patrick McCormick, 9 June 2013, 11:25am

Prince Harry has been praised as an account of him intervening in a homophobic attack on a gay solider has come to light.

The account was published in gay soldier Lance Corporal James Wharton’s new book Out in the Army, in which he writes that Prince Harry stopped the homophobic attack, during which soldiers from another regiment said they were going to “batter” him.

Prince Harry, a tank commander at the time, was approached by Wharton who was tearful, and told him that he thought he was going to be “murdered by the infantry”.

He wrote” “I told him [Prince Harry], ‘I think I’m going to be murdered by the infantry.’ I climbed into the turret and talked Harry through exactly what had happened. He had a complete look of bewilderment on his face.

“I couldn’t stop the tears from welling up in my eyes. He said, ‘Right I’m going to sort this shit out once and for all.’”

He continued that Harry approached the group without hesitating, and that upon his return he said the situation was “sorted”.

“I will always be grateful to Harry,” Wharton continued. “I will never forget what happened. Until he went over and dealt with everything I was on track for a battering.”

Since the story came to light, Prince Harry, described as Wharton as one of his “greatest protectors”, has been praised by Stonewall, as well as Tory MP Bob Stewart and Shadow Defence Secretary Jim Murphy.

Wharton, who served in Iraq, became the first gay man to appear on the cover of Soldier magazine in 2009. In 2010, he and his partner had the Household Cavalry’s first civil partnership.

Prince Harry previously said he might try relationships with men if he “changes his mind” about women, while on a night out with his girlfriend.

In November 2012 Prince Harry and his brother, Prince William, wrote a letter supporting the Terrence Higgins Trust in its campaign against HIV.

Earlier in 2012 Harry came under fire for using the word “queer”, but was defended by Peter Tatchell, who pointed out that Harry has made a video diary in which he kisses and licks the face of another male soldier.

by Anonymousreply 3106/28/2013

by Anonymousreply 106/09/2013

I'm glad he was protected. But it annoys me that the gays are still so vulnerable, like damsels-in-distress, and they need the charity of the heroic straights. We can never move on if even the soldiers among us are so weak and effiminate.

by Anonymousreply 206/09/2013

R2 - I suppose you also want to blame all the victims of sexual assault in the US Military for not being strong enough?

by Anonymousreply 306/09/2013

Yeah, but Harry is known to have gay friends.

by Anonymousreply 406/09/2013

[quote]Prince Harry previously said he might try relationships with men if he “changes his mind” about women, while on a night out with his girlfriend.

He seems like the sort who's up for anything after a few drinks.

by Anonymousreply 506/09/2013

The Daily Mail also had a story...

[bold]Harry saved me from gay hate attack: Prince in extraordinary showdown with troops who threatened gunner[/bold]

by Anonymousreply 606/09/2013

Unfortunately Grama and Grampa are part of the problem.

by Anonymousreply 706/09/2013

What you have here is someone in a leadership role doing the right thing. The big problem with sexual harassment/assault in the US is that leadership is NOT doing the right thing. We need leaders that inspire confidence in troops so they will report problems.

by Anonymousreply 806/09/2013

I pronounce Prince Harry, Lord Of The Gays!

by Anonymousreply 906/09/2013

[quote]But it annoys me that the gays are still so vulnerable, like damsels-in-distress,

Right!!! (eye-roll) Six guys were getting ready to bash what you call a "damsel-in-distress." Let's see you stand up to six men. Duh!

by Anonymousreply 1006/09/2013

Too bad Harry will never be King.

by Anonymousreply 1106/09/2013

I though "batter" was a bukkake term?

by Anonymousreply 1206/09/2013

Great-grandmother would have approved, having been a huge fag hag.

by Anonymousreply 1306/09/2013

Harry's a good egg.

by Anonymousreply 1406/10/2013

He truly is his mother's son. Good on him.

by Anonymousreply 1506/10/2013

The effect of having the Prince of England get in your face in the military would be profound. I would love to have heard what he said to them. "The Tower of London is empty these days!"

by Anonymousreply 1606/10/2013

"Off with their heads!"

by Anonymousreply 1706/10/2013

So I guess you get "gay battered" instead of "gay bashed" in the UK.

by Anonymousreply 1806/10/2013

Harry is wanking material!

by Anonymousreply 1906/10/2013

And then, Harry comforted his pal by offering a little bum rubbing session.

by Anonymousreply 2106/12/2013

Prince Charles is very pro gay and many of his staff are openly gay, even at the very top of his organization. William and Harry know many of them very well and have been raised to be pro gay and inclusive their whole lives by their dad. Wait until they attend their first gay military wedding in Britain - it will happen and they'll do it because they want to be there.

The Queen and Prince Philip have always had gay staff and gay relatives, too.

by Anonymousreply 2206/12/2013

Admirable as this story is, it's part of an ongoing war between the new enlightened editor of 'The Mail on Sunday', Geordie Greig, and the hidebound 1950's-loving editor of 'The Daily Mail', Paul Dacre.

Greig knows Dacre is encased in his dated views, so loves splashing the twenty-first century into the Mail organisation. Dacre's most prominent recent fiasco was Jan Moir's notoriously homophobic take on the death of Stephen Gately. Greig has brilliantly thrown that into relief with his Harry story: beloved Royal rescues bullied gay colleague. Genius!

It'll be a fascinating day in UK public life if Greig succeeds in displacing Dacre. We can but hope.

by Anonymousreply 2306/15/2013

When are we going to get to see Harry's cock?

by Anonymousreply 2406/15/2013

R25 has no info on the issue of either Prince Charles' or Harry's sexualities. I doubt if r25 really even believes Charles and Harry are gay. He/she is just being spiteful!

by Anonymousreply 2606/26/2013

Don't leave out Prince William, Kate and even their little baby!

by Anonymousreply 2706/26/2013

Does the fucking PR machine for this useless family ever stop?

by Anonymousreply 2806/26/2013

R26 have you been living under a rock? The fact that Charles is gay is a badly kept secret and has been one for decades. Harry is also gay and yeah it's a badly kept secret. William is hetero.

by Anonymousreply 2906/28/2013

[quote]Secondly Charles is gay and so is Harry; but they are deeply closeted.

I'm sure there are some gay people in the Royal Family, but I don't know if it's these two.

1. Why would Charles fake a long affair with Camilla and become hated by the British public by breaking up his marriage to Diana? For what purpose?

2. Harry seems pretty interested in women from what I can tell. He may not be married yet, but he sure seems to like hanging out with attractive women and inviting them back to his hotel room to play strip poker in Vegas.

by Anonymousreply 3106/28/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!