Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Father Shot And Killed By 4-Year-Old Son

PRESCOTT VALLEY, Ariz. -- Authorities in northern Arizona say a 4-year-old boy has accidentally shot and killed his father at a Prescott Valley home.

Prescott Valley police say the shooting occurred just after noon Friday.

The 35-year-old man and his young son were visiting from Phoenix and were at a friend's house.

Police say the boy somehow found a gun in the home's living room and accidentally fired it and a bullet hit his father, who was rushed to a hospital where he died. Police identified the man as Justin Stanfield Thomas.

Police say the boy is with his mother. No other details have been released.

by Anonymousreply 9006/20/2013

If only the father had a gun. Oh, wait, he did.

by Anonymousreply 106/09/2013

On all of these threads, I note that someone else probably shot the child, and blamed a kid who too young to say what really happened.

Consider it said.

by Anonymousreply 206/09/2013

Guns don't kill people, people kill people!

by Anonymousreply 306/09/2013

I realize it's awful, but I always think, "serves them right" when I hear about these situations.

People in favor of gun control always quote statistics about the frequency with which gun "accidents" occur, the likelihood that the person killed with the gun will be someone known to the owner (and not a random attacker).

Well, guess what - guns don't kill people, people kill people. So, these people have no one to blame but themselves.

I'm an awful person, I know. Have at me, bitches of DL...

by Anonymousreply 406/09/2013

This is fantastic! But wait.....sadly, the moronic father had already reproduced.

by Anonymousreply 506/09/2013

I hope that shooter gets the death penalty!

by Anonymousreply 606/09/2013

A four-year-old picks up a gun in the living room of his father's friend, and no doubt the adults were all having a giggle over how cute it was that the little boy was handling a gun... and then...

by Anonymousreply 706/09/2013

Guns don't kill people, 4 year olds kill people!

by Anonymousreply 806/09/2013

You idiots, it wasn't the dad's gun - it was in the living room of the people they were visiting.

Plus, the dad was hottish.

by Anonymousreply 906/09/2013

Many years ago my mother loved to quote a New Yorker cartoon caption, "Boy, 2, Kills 3." Then it was absurdist black humor. Now, a mundane everyday reality!

by Anonymousreply 1006/09/2013

[quote]Well, guess what - guns don't kill people, people kill people.

People with guns kill.

by Anonymousreply 1106/09/2013

This is a sad story. It would have had a happier ending if the kid had shot the homeowner whose gun was left out.

by Anonymousreply 1206/09/2013

What did you expect? Daddy would always grab a Pampers and then tell me I was bad ass.

by Anonymousreply 1406/09/2013

[quote]I know this isn't a popular opinion but sometimes things just need to be filed under "shit happens".

Leaving a loaded gun where a 4-year-old can get his hands on it does not qualify as an instance of "shit happens," Danny Dimwit. The fact that you happen to know the shooting victim is immaterial.

by Anonymousreply 1506/09/2013

[quote] Far more accidents happen with small children and swimming pools, are we going to ban those too?

Nobody's talking about banning guns.

They're talking about regulating guns.

I had to have a fence 6 feet off the ground surrounding my swimming pool. The fence gates had to pull outwards, not push inwards. The gate had to immediately close after someone walked through it. It could not be constructed so as to stay open unless someone deliberately held it open. Each gate had to have an alarm on it that beeped as soon as it was opened. And, since I have sliding doors that open up onto my deck and my swimming pool, I had to have alarms put on both sliders from the inside, so you can hear if someone opens them .

That's regulation. My pool is more regulated than guns are. I cant leave my swimming pool lying around in the living room.

by Anonymousreply 1606/09/2013

My question is why do all of these toddlers have such good aim? They never seem to wound anyone. It is always a clean, one shot kill.

by Anonymousreply 1806/09/2013

It's true, a swimming pool is more regulated than guns! Sad nation, we are.

by Anonymousreply 1906/09/2013

Why wasnt the father watching his kid in someone else's house? Who lets their kid touch stuff in someone else's living room?

by Anonymousreply 2006/09/2013

[quote] Far more accidents happen with small children and swimming pools, are we going to ban those too?

Specious reasoning. A pool's purpose is health and recreation.

A gun's purpose is to kill.

And as r16 noted, there are more regulations for pools than for guns.

by Anonymousreply 2106/09/2013

There is probably more to this, of course. R2 makes no sense, though. A child wasn't shot, the parent was. Did you mis-read or mis-type or are you just inarticulate? Yes, it could have been someone else who shot the father and then tried to pin it on the child but what a set-up! Was it,then, just quick thinking on the part of the shooter? And who has a gun just lying around so that a four year old could simply walk to it, pick it up and shoot it? This kind of negligence wins the Darwin Award. I wonder if the owner of the gun, or the people who lived in the home can be charged with some sort of negligence crime?

by Anonymousreply 2206/09/2013

Good. One less man world.

by Anonymousreply 2306/09/2013

Sadly, the Darwin award cannot be given here. The kid shot the wrong person.

by Anonymousreply 2406/09/2013

R7, that's EXACTLY what I was thinking. I don't believe for even a second that the kid just found the gun. I bet they thought it was hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 2506/09/2013

Thank you, R16.

Do you notice when these dumbasses bring up something like pools or cars killing people, they omit the part about there being more laws and regulations to own those things than to own a gun?

Gun nuts really are about the stupidest motherfuckers on earth. Their arguments are pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 2606/09/2013

Will they try the kid as an adult? Does the "Stand Your Ground" law apply?

by Anonymousreply 2706/09/2013

Guns are dangerous. Those who have them are fools

by Anonymousreply 2806/09/2013

[quote]Do you notice when these dumbasses bring up something like pools or cars killing people, they omit the part about there being more laws and regulations to own those things than to own a gun?

Also, homeowners and car owners have to buy insurance to indemnify themselves against any damage or injury caused in relation to their home (pool) or car. Why aren't gun owners required to do the same at least?

by Anonymousreply 2906/09/2013

r24 "Darwin Award," "Darwinism at work" is so overused and misused.

Although this was not the father's house or his gun, let's say the kid did shoot his father who left the gun laying around the house. Darwinism wouldn't apply because the father has a surviving spawn. He has already passed his stupid genes to the son.

by Anonymousreply 3106/09/2013

Isn't there gunshot residue on the shooter? Four year olds can talk. They can say who did what to whom. And who didn't.

by Anonymousreply 3206/09/2013

Why does every gun nut think that any gun laws would have to be draconian bans with government squads going around and prying weapons from their cold, dead hands? But that's usually the right-wing tactic - paint an extreme picture of the other side in order to make their's seem reasonable.

Oh and moving to a state with more sensible gun laws is pointless when their are no border checks between states.

by Anonymousreply 3306/09/2013

The way I understand it r33, gun nuts who would otherwise support background check, are afraid of the slippery slope. If you allow the gov't to pass one gun law ban, then the envelope will be pushed further and further.

by Anonymousreply 3406/09/2013

Oh please. If their imaginations of what the govt will try to do had any resemblance to reality, the gun nuts would be done. Do they honestly believe their arsenal is any match for the US military?

Idiots clearly watch "Red Dawn" on a loop.

by Anonymousreply 3506/09/2013

Here in Arizona we raise em up right. Only 4 years old and already a good shot. There must be some NRA youth award for target shooting we could recommend the kid for.

by Anonymousreply 3606/09/2013

This kind of crap happens on a daily basis but try and tell gun lovers...they haven't a clue. I'm fine with it. You want a dangerous weapon in your take what it gives.

by Anonymousreply 3706/09/2013

I hope the gun owner pays a huge fine and goes to jail. That's what I'd like to see...then I'd like to see the head of the NRA hung in a tree until dead.

by Anonymousreply 3806/09/2013

I got it, the kids father was having an affair with the guys wife, they shot her husband and then blamed it on the kid, there you go.

by Anonymousreply 3906/09/2013

Does he get to marry his mother now?

by Anonymousreply 4006/09/2013

I'd like for shit to happen to R13.

by Anonymousreply 4106/09/2013

R18 is right. According to almost all of these recent stories, one shot and the adult is dead.

by Anonymousreply 4206/09/2013

You people don't hate guns. You just hate the people who like them.

by Anonymousreply 4306/09/2013

LMAO at R18's response. It's SO true!

by Anonymousreply 4406/09/2013

[quote]You can't pick and choose which parts of the Constitution you agree with. It stands together, or falls together.

For that reason, there is no such thing as an amendment to the Constitution. We can not change things that just don't make sense in today's society. Women can't vote and we can own have slaves.

Because we have to live with rules that were set in place during a different time. Right.

by Anonymousreply 4506/09/2013

Exactly R22 ! In all these stories no one ever gets charged with anything?! WTF?! They're always listed as "accidents". This is the shit that makes me fucking incensed. And as someone else mentioned,the child is traumatized,and will carry this horror throughout his life. All because another "responsible gun owner" troglodyte left his gun on a fucking coffee table.

by Anonymousreply 4606/09/2013

Sometimes a toddler's got to do what a toddler's got to do.

by Anonymousreply 4706/09/2013

r46, it's because there's no sex involved. It's merely a life ended. If there were a kid and sex involved, Nancy Grace and every network would be out for blood.

by Anonymousreply 4806/09/2013

R43, I actually hate both.

by Anonymousreply 4906/09/2013

R41, I'd like a four year old to shoot you dead.

by Anonymousreply 5006/09/2013

Irresponsible owner is the issue here. Who the fuck leaves a gun where a toddler,or any guest, could find it.

by Anonymousreply 5106/09/2013

Was the four-year-old son hardcore?

by Anonymousreply 5206/09/2013

[quote]Does a 4 year old have the strength to pull the trigger of a gun?

I shoot at a range, and don't even own a gun myself - but I enjoy shooting targets for sport. I have shot and handled a variety of handguns, and it is [bold]NOT EASY to pull a trigger on most guns[/bold]. You really have to squeeze.

So - consider that, plus the size and the weight of a gun in a 4 year old's small hands, the powerful kick back upon shooting, etc.

This is so very, very fishy.

by Anonymousreply 5306/09/2013

R53. Pistols have varying degrees of resistance. Hair triggers are incredibly sensitive and respond to minimum pressure. Revolvers, rifles, and shotguns usually require more strength. The idiot that owned the gun likely had an auto loader with a round in the chamber for a toddler to fire the weapon. A toddler could never have chambered the first round on his own.

by Anonymousreply 5406/09/2013

OMG r18 is hilariously true.

by Anonymousreply 5506/09/2013

[quote]The idiot that owned the gun likely had an auto loader with a round in the chamber for a toddler to fire the weapon.

That's true. And very sad.

by Anonymousreply 5606/09/2013

Guns are made to kill people. End of story.

So the gun did its job. Now the family will have to live with the outfall of your lax gun laws.

Tough shit.

by Anonymousreply 5706/09/2013

R57. Guns are not made to only kill people. Do you have any idea how people got food before the poor people's staple Trader Joes? You had to fucking shoot it. Get your head out of your ass.

by Anonymousreply 5806/09/2013

R43, don't make us choose.

by Anonymousreply 5906/09/2013

[quote]Does the "Stand Your Ground" law apply?

In this instance, the "Stand Your Sandbox" applies.

by Anonymousreply 6006/09/2013

All the people that are bringing up the issue of pool regulations and insurance are only supporting my point. Even with all those measures put on place, pool accidents still occur way more frequently than gun accidents per gun/pool respectively. My point is you can't prevent every bad thing that could possibly happen. Yes the gun should have been locked up but I don't think everyone needs to freak out and change things over some freak accident.

by Anonymousreply 6106/09/2013

Of course you don't R61.

You're the problem.

by Anonymousreply 6206/09/2013

It's Arizona, r18--probably not the first time the kid held a gun. And I doubt he just "found it".

By the way, Arizona has an "official state gun" (Colt army revolver). And Tucson has a television station with the call letters "KGUN". You can imagine how awkward it was for the national news outlets who had to get their Gabby Giffords shooting updates from that station.

by Anonymousreply 6306/09/2013

R61 pools are passive. Guns are active in as much as they must be operated by the shooter.

I will admit that the number of pool deaths for children would decrease considerably if the parents of the child were held responsible for the death rather than the pool owner. The majority of the 300 or so pool deaths per year involve a child under the age of five who drowns in a pool that is not on the family property.

by Anonymousreply 6406/09/2013

I now think that the gun owner should be charged with manslaughter. The right loves to say that guns don't kill people, people kill people. The gun owner had no business leaving a loaded weapon in a place where it could be easily accessed by a 4-year old. In this case the right is right. This asshole owner was directly responsible for the death of this child's father.

Of course, those Arizona cowards will never charge him. That's because they really believe that guns don't kill people and any gun owner has a pass on anything that happens with his weapon if he's a member of the good ole boys club.

by Anonymousreply 6506/09/2013

[quote]Far more accidents happen with small children and swimming pools, are we going to ban those too?

Far more "accidents" happen with guns in society, you stupid, fat, lazy ass American douche bag.

by Anonymousreply 6606/10/2013

[quote]Far more accidents happen with small children and swimming pools, are we going to ban those too?

Adults caused this to happen. Adults cannot be trusted with guns. The end.

by Anonymousreply 6706/10/2013

[quote]Do you have any idea how people got food before the poor people's staple Trader Joes?

Get a calendar, dumb ass!

by Anonymousreply 6806/10/2013

[quote]I will admit that the number of pool deaths for children would decrease considerably if the parents of the child were held responsible for the death rather than the pool owner.

I've been here for years and this is the most stunningly stupid post I've ever read on DL.

Yes, R64, holding parents 'responsible' would be so much more of a deterrent than the threat of DEATH TO THEIR CHILD.

by Anonymousreply 6906/10/2013

I want to see stats on pool accidents v gun accidents for small children.

by Anonymousreply 7006/10/2013

Here is info from the CDC on drownings:

How big is the problem?

From 2005-2009, there were an average of 3,533 fatal unintentional drownings (non-boating related) annually in the United States — about ten deaths per day. An additional 347 people died each year from drowning in boating-related incidents.

About one in five people who die from drowning are children 14 and younger. For every child who dies from drowning, another five receive emergency department care for nonfatal submersion injuries.

More than 50% of drowning victims treated in emergency departments (EDs) require hospitalization or transfer for further care (compared with a hospitalization rate of about 6% for all unintentional injuries). These nonfatal drowning injuries can cause severe brain damage that may result in long-term disabilities such as memory problems, learning disabilities, and permanent loss of basic functioning (e.g., permanent vegetative state).

by Anonymousreply 7106/10/2013

Comparable unintentional shooting information:

— In 2010 in the U.S., 606 people died from an unintentional shooting.

— In 2011,14,675 people were wounded in an unintentional shooting but survived.

— In 49 percent of unintentional shooting deaths, the victim is shot by another person.

— Thirty-three percent of U.S. households have a gun, and half of gun-owning households do not lock up their guns, including 40 percent of households with kids under age 18.

Accidental firearms injuries have been on the decline nationwide. In 2001, 5,091 children ages 19 and under were injured by a firearm. Those numbers steadily decreased through 2009, when 3,587 children under 19 were reported injured by a firearm, according to the defense fund.

From Huffington post, the numbers on intentional shootings

Between 2006 and 2010, 561 children age 12 and under were killed by firearms, according to the FBI's most recent Uniform Crime Reports. The numbers each year are consistent: 120 in 2006; 115 in 2007; 116 in 2008, 114 in 2009 and 96 in 2010. The FBI's count does not include gun-related child deaths that authorities have ruled accidental.

by Anonymousreply 7206/10/2013

[quote]Yes, [R64], holding parents 'responsible' would be so much more of a deterrent than the threat of DEATH TO THEIR CHILD.

Actually, the well being of their child does not seem to be on their minds at all. The attitude is that it is someone else's responsibility to protect the child, not theirs. In most drowning deaths involving a child under 5, the child was not supervised.

by Anonymousreply 7306/10/2013

Fun fact: More Americans have been killed on American Soil by toddlers than terrorists.

by Anonymousreply 7406/10/2013

No shit, Sherlock @ R73. That doesn't mean those same negligent parents would be MORE motivated to keep their kids safe under a different/additional penalty than their kid's death.

Let me see. It's such a tough decision. Would I rather go to jail or have my child die a horrible death by drowning? Yikes, I don't want to go to jail, let me make sure my kid is safe in the pool.

by Anonymousreply 7506/10/2013

Gun lovers are more then willing to risk their child and everyone else around them.

If they are all Republicans, I'm fine with it.

As long as automatic weapons can be bought by one and all, mass shootings will happen. I only hope a proper number of NRA members will feel the effects.

by Anonymousreply 7606/10/2013

R76 - that is the dumbest thing I have read this month and that is saying quite a lot.

by Anonymousreply 7706/10/2013

It's hard to feel any response at all as gun homicides, of all types, becomes more and more of a daily reported occurrence.

by Anonymousreply 7806/10/2013

A lot of drowning deaths are in ponds or streams, not just pools. Gun's are for shitheads and pools are for people who enjoy good times.

by Anonymousreply 7906/10/2013

I only skimmed this thread.

Has anyone said "Told you I was hardcore" or same variation of it yet?

by Anonymousreply 8006/10/2013

Gun owners are idiots

by Anonymousreply 8206/10/2013

I think gun owners are pea brains who think they are still living in the wild west. They are ignorant and most at risk for being killed by their own weapon.

That's how I feel about it.

by Anonymousreply 8306/10/2013

Four is old enough to tell what happened, so I can't agree with the scenario of our skeptical poster.

by Anonymousreply 8406/10/2013

Very nice, R85, you ignorant fuckwad.

by Anonymousreply 8606/11/2013

Yes, R80. R52.

by Anonymousreply 8706/11/2013

Hey!If his da is in the NRA he would've been proud!Look Daddy I can already shoot straight!And my buddies thought we'd have to wait for that first deer-kill till he was 6!If he's from the 'hood,well he'll be the baddest kid in nursery school-juvie!He'll be the head of a gang by second grade!"

by Anonymousreply 8806/20/2013

Sorry i was reply 88 but my shift keys jammed i was gonna write "i hate vegetables!They make me wanna blow some parent-ass away!What!Naptime!go ahead daddy!Make my day!"

by Anonymousreply 8906/20/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!