Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The last lesbian bar in West Hollywood is closing!

The last remaining lesbian bar in West Hollywood is about to close.

The Palms Bar, the oldest continually-running lesbian bar in Southern California, will close Sunday, June 9 after the annual gay pride parade, Wehoville reports.

Open since the 1960s, the Palms has hosted celebrities including Jim Morrison, Tom Waits, Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, Ellen DeGeneres, Portia de Rossi and Melissa Etheridge, the LA Weekly reports.

West Hollywood has long been a gay mecca, with about 40 percent of its 35,000 residents identifying as gay, but only three percent identify as lesbians, the Los Angeles Times reports. Gay males tend to earn more than lesbians and can afford upscale urban areas like West Hollywood, while lesbians prefer to live in more kid-friendly neighborhoods, like Silver Lake and Long Beach, notes the Times.

To attract more lesbian residents, WeHo officials plan to open what they call a "lesbian social space" on Robertson Boulevard, according the Times.

In April, The Palms posted on Facebook that it would close "for no other reason than the new property owners have decided to redevelop the property.” It added that the bar's owners are in the process of looking for a new location to re-open.

As a memorandum to what the bar has meant to the lesbian community over the years, The Palms posted on Facebook:

We are grateful to those who have become our friends, our family, lovers, confidants and even our ex's. We think of the happiness through 46 plus years that the Palms has brought to people, the laughter and love. We will remember those we have lost. Even though we are saddened by this closure, we bear in mind that buildings are made from stone and wood and the true happiness and joy come from the lives of the people inside.

by Anonymousreply 2403/15/2014

"To attract more lesbian residents, WeHo officials plan to open what they call a "lesbian social space" on Robertson Boulevard, according the Times."

It'll be called WeHoMEDEPOT.

by Anonymousreply 106/07/2013

I bet that bitch blames me for this too.

by Anonymousreply 206/07/2013

Nice, r1!

by Anonymousreply 306/07/2013

a lesbian social space on Robertson? that's called the Abbey or Girl Bar.

by Anonymousreply 506/07/2013

Weho sucks.

by Anonymousreply 606/07/2013

Adios Palms.

by Anonymousreply 706/07/2013

Meh

by Anonymousreply 906/07/2013

Why is Home Depot the go-to shopping stereotype for lesbians? I worked there at a high-traffic urban store through college, and the only women I encountered or worked with were of the "frau" or interior designer variety. And never once did I see a female set foot in the plumbing or electrical (except fixtures) or heavy building materials departments.

by Anonymousreply 1006/09/2013

On an episode of "Will and Grace" when Rosie O'Donnell was asked to say something that proves she's a lesbian, she responded "Home Depot". I have seen multiple references since then, suggesting that lesbian do their own handy work and don't need a man to get things done.

by Anonymousreply 1106/09/2013

Oh please R8 stop trolling. The Palms never excluded men. Men were there mixed in with the women. In the last five years it was majority gay/straight comedy etc nights anyway. No precious men were excluded. Can't the women have one space to gather??

by Anonymousreply 1206/09/2013

I don't see what the hell is so wrong with asking if women can just have one space to gather (and yes, we're talking about something like a neighborhood bar, not an event like Mich Fest). I bet R13 is the same type who screams about bachelorette parties in gay male bars because "Can't we just have anything to OURSELVES?!"

And the answer is YES, you can. Why can't the lesbians have the same thing?

by Anonymousreply 1406/12/2013

Hey!Maybe we straight and bi men are winning the game after all!

by Anonymousreply 1506/20/2013

Well give some white people a hand for standing up to our knee-jerk bleeding-heart politically correct society.Segregation ended 45 years ago.If black people were using whites as geeks,Lawrence Welk dancers and wimps at their parties,everybody would be laughing.Ask Eddie Murphy how he feels about this.

by Anonymousreply 1606/20/2013

Last time I walked into a lesbian bar it really hurt

by Anonymousreply 1706/21/2013

What will open in it's place?

by Anonymousreply 1806/21/2013

I wonder if this is the ball that actress Joan Shawlee owned

by Anonymousreply 1906/21/2013

This is partially why I found the "L Word" annoying and completely unrealistic. It made West Hollywood out to be this huge lesbian mecca, but in reality, WeHo is strictly BoysTown (with fag hags) and a tiny sprinkling of lesbians.

by Anonymousreply 2006/23/2013

So where are the lesbians located in the L.A?

by Anonymousreply 2103/14/2014

[quote]So where are the lesbians located in the L.A?

Van Nuys and Panorama City.

by Anonymousreply 2203/15/2014

Carpet close out sales.

by Anonymousreply 2303/15/2014

I've never noticed anything particularly tiny about lesbians.

by Anonymousreply 2403/15/2014
Need more help? Click Here.