Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Florida man acquitted via ‘Stand Your Ground’ after shooting wife’s lover

On Thursday, a jury in Tampa, Florida acquitted 70-year-old retired U.S. Army Lt. Col. Ralph Wald in the shooting death of his wife’s lover. According to the Tampa Bay Times, Wald’s attorney, Joe Episcopo, invoked Flordia’s “Stand Your Ground” law in defense of his client, arguing that when Wald shot 32-year-old Walter Conley — as Conley was engaged in an act of sexual congress with Wald’s wife, Johnna Lynn Flores, 41 — Wald thought the younger man was a rapist who had broken into his home..

Flores reportedly cried tears of joy when her husband was exonerated, saying to reporters outside the courtroom, “I am elated, absolutely elated.”

When Wald is released from jail, Flores said, the couple plan a celebration. “Because my husband puts me first,” she said, “he’s taking me to Waffle House.”

Waffle House is a southern chain of greasy spoon restaurants, famous for its “scattered, smothered and covered” hash browns, which means that they are made with onions and cheese.

After two days of testimony, the jury ruled that Wald had not committed a crime when he shot Conley in the head and stomach. Wald woke in the middle of the night to find his wife and Conley having sex on the living room floor. The retired Army officer said that he believed that Conley was a rapist, rather than his wife’s paramour.

Prosecutors alleged that Wald, who suffers from erectile dysfunction, killed the other man in a jealous rage. Assistant State Attorney Chris Moody told the jury, “It’s a personal insult to conduct that kind of activity in a man’s home, his castle. It cuts to the quick. It’s brazen. That kind of deep and personal insult, when you find another man having sex in your living room and you can’t, would make you want to lash out. And he did.”

Flores claims that she was “blackout drunk” on the night in question and remembers nothing about how she ended up having sex with Conley, who resided on Lovers Lane in Riverview, Florida. Conley was an old boyfriend of Flores, who said the she had drunk a large amount of cognac that evening prior to the shooting.

Episcopo, Wald’s defense attorney, argued that Wald was within the bounds of the “Stand Your Ground” law and was under no legal obligation to refrain from using lethal force in protecting himself and his home.

“This is a military man,” Episcopo said. Wald, a decorated Vietnam veteran, was falling back on his training, which dictated “what you do with the enemy…you take your gun and kill the enemy.”

Jurors deliberated for two hours before arriving at the verdict.

Wald said that in spite of everything, he hopes to be able to salvage his marriage.

“That’s my hope,” he said during testimony. “I love my wife.”

Wald even quipped that the combination of his impotence and his wife’s alcoholism made them a good fit, maritally.

“In fact, she would joke a lot with me…that we were a perfect couple,” Wald testified. “She didn’t want to do it, and I couldn’t do it.”

by Anonymousreply 3508/15/2013

Meanwhile...

Florida Judge Rejected Stand Your Ground Defense For Black Woman Who Fired Warning Shot During Domestic Violence

by Anonymousreply 106/06/2013

We need more hurricanes.

by Anonymousreply 206/06/2013

More dickish behavior from America's wang.

by Anonymousreply 306/06/2013

That slut/cunt is elated?! She was banging a young stud and getting some and grandpa ruined her fun? Her consolation prize is a trip to the waffle house? I'll never figure straights out....

I must admit the term "sexual congress' is ripe for parody though.....

by Anonymousreply 406/06/2013

Nothing says love like taking your unfaithful wife to Waffle House to celebrate your killing her young stud boyfriend.

"sexual congress", oh, DEAR.

by Anonymousreply 506/06/2013

Stand your ground or not, if - I repeat if - the jury reasonably believed he was acting to stop a rape in his own home then I'm not all that distressed by the verdict.

by Anonymousreply 606/06/2013

r6 - it's that type of vigilante thinking that has the US where it is right now.

There are plenty of other things he could have done, if - I repeat if - he thought his wife was being raped. And, since it is impossible to know what he actually thought, one can only decide based on reasonableness of his actions.

Serious, I find it difficult to believe that he believed it was rape - the more reasonable guess in most situations would argue against that.

Revenge killing.

by Anonymousreply 706/06/2013

I thought this was satire from the Onion.

by Anonymousreply 806/06/2013

You can do anything in Florida.

by Anonymousreply 906/06/2013

"When Wald is released from jail, Flores said, the couple plan a celebration. “Because my husband puts me first,” she said, “he’s taking me to Waffle House.”"

She then added: "To celebrate winning using the 'Stand Your Ground' defense, when we get to the Waffle House we are going to 'stand our ground beef' with cheese grits and ketsup."

by Anonymousreply 1006/06/2013

[quote]Conley, who resided on Lovers Lane

Loved this detail.

by Anonymousreply 1106/06/2013

So he was armed with a loaded gun and the other guy was naked. Why did he shoot before finding out what was really going on? How did he not shoot his wife at the same time, was his aim really that good?

by Anonymousreply 1206/06/2013

“Because my husband puts me first,” she said, “he’s taking me to Waffle House.”

If my husband ever killed my lover I would expect nothing less than Olive Garden.

by Anonymousreply 1306/06/2013

Her legs wrapped around her rapist's hips should have given him pause before shooting.

by Anonymousreply 1406/06/2013

Let's forget bombing other countries, let's wipe out Florida.

by Anonymousreply 1506/06/2013

These whores probably are aghast at same sex marriage, drooling about traditional values.

by Anonymousreply 1606/06/2013

I'm not sure if this is tragic or not until I see pictures of the victim.

by Anonymousreply 1706/06/2013

It's legal to "stand your ground", but only in defense of white privilege or male privilege.

As for the wife, she's probably relieved that he hit her lover and not her. Who knows which one he was aiming at.

by Anonymousreply 1806/06/2013

Slogan on Florida's upcoming license plates: "Florida: The Fetid Oozing Crotch of America!"

by Anonymousreply 1906/08/2013

Florida is the place to be.

by Anonymousreply 2007/09/2013

Florida loves Waffle House.

by Anonymousreply 2107/11/2013

“This is a military man,” Episcopo said. Wald, a decorated Vietnam veteran, was falling back on his training, which dictated “what you do with the enemy…you take your gun and kill the enemy.”

There are a lot of retired military men living in Florida.

by Anonymousreply 2207/18/2013

Technically, couldn't any two people kill a 3rd person in Florida then and use 'Stand Your Ground' as an excuse, backing up each others stories about feeling threatened?

The man's a fucking idiot though. I hope the wife kills him.

by Anonymousreply 2307/18/2013

r23, yea just create some plausible story and you're good to go. You must also be white.

I thought "stand you ground" was about self defense, i guess it also applies if you're really really offended about what's going on.

by Anonymousreply 2407/18/2013

Don't you just need to feel like your life is threatened in order to stand your ground?

It's a good law for if the police ever want to just shoot up an entire group of people.

by Anonymousreply 2507/18/2013

This is insane. "Stand Your Ground" laws are just a license to kill anyone you don't like. Or a license to provoke fights with people and then murder them when they fight back.

by Anonymousreply 2607/18/2013

She's a trailer park hunny!

by Anonymousreply 2707/18/2013

The world of a heterosexual is a sick and boring life.

by Anonymousreply 2807/18/2013

That's not a stand-your-ground case at all. There is no duty to retreat inside your own home even when there is no stand-your-ground law.

by Anonymousreply 2907/18/2013

As usual, Bugs said it best.

by Anonymousreply 3007/18/2013

That's all, folks!

by Anonymousreply 3107/19/2013

I am sure the Waffle House loves the publicity.

by Anonymousreply 3207/23/2013

Maybe the Waffle House has a sentimental value for that couple.

by Anonymousreply 3308/08/2013

I wonder how SYG applied in this case? Was the lover going to beat the old cuckold to death with his huge hard cock or something?

OK, now this thread is making me horny as HELL!

by Anonymousreply 3408/08/2013

That couple might be living on a sinkhole.

by Anonymousreply 3508/15/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!