Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Chris Kluwe turns down White House LGBT event with humorous letter to Obama

Chris Kluwe turns down White House LGBT event with humorous letter to Obama

by Joseph Patrick McCormick, 5 June 2013, 5:47pm

NFL star and LGBT rights campaigner Chris Kluwe, has made the headlines for the first time since being dropped by his team, and picked up by another, as he wrote a humorous letter to President Obama to decline an invitation to a White House LGBT event.

Kluwe recently announced that he had been dropped by the Minnesota Vikings, saying that “making people aware of an issue that is causing children to commit suicide is more important than kicking a leather ball.” Some reports suggested his equal rights advocacy was the reason he was dropped.

The punter has since been picked up by the Oakland Raiders, and posted a photograph of the letter he sent to the White House in response to an invitation to an LGBT event.

It read: “Dear Mr President (or whoever reads these things, I’m sure he’s probably pretty busy (hello underappreciated email answering person!))”

He jokingly went on to say that he could not attend, but that he would have been honoured, if he was not contractually obliged to attend practice with the Raiders.

“I would really really REALLY like to be there, but unfortunately not even the President of the United State is allowed to supercede an NFL mandatory mini-camp practice (at least insomuch as I understand the new CBA, though I could possibly be mistaken) … if anything else were to ever come up, it would be my distinct honor to attend. Unless we have a game. Or practice. Or mandatory hot yoga classes (we don’t really have those).”

He went on to suggest that an F35 jet could pick him up, in order for him to make a late dinner, but said it “seems an extremely unnecessary waste of taxpayer dollars.”

Chris Kluwe made the headlines in September when he defended Brendon Ayanbadejo, formerly of the Baltimore Ravens, against a call from Delegate Emmett C Burns Jr, to reprimand Ayanbadejo, who recorded a video for a gay rights advocacy group In October 2011.

In a response to Burns, he wrote: “I can assure you that gay people getting married will have zero effect on your life. They won’t come into your house and steal your children. They won’t magically turn you into a lustful cockmonster.”

He and Ayanbadejo, wrote an amicus brief, and filed it, urging the Supreme Court to act against legislation preventing equal marriage.

Last week, Kluwe joined Michelle Obama, and thousands of others, in tweeting a message of support for the US’s first openly gay player in any major team sport, Jason Collins, of the NBA, who came out in a piece for Sports Illustrated magazine.

At the same time, he wrote an impassioned opinion piece in which he addresses the question of why, as a straight man, he supports the gay community.

by Anonymousreply 2406/23/2013

He's a cutie

by Anonymousreply 106/05/2013

Let's hope Chris Kluwe gets another White House invite during some off-season free time.

by Anonymousreply 206/05/2013

bump

by Anonymousreply 306/05/2013

Chris, I'll be your cockmonster.

by Anonymousreply 406/05/2013

Unafraid, articulate, outspoken, athletic, talented, sexy....AND humorous. His wife is one LUCKY lady.

by Anonymousreply 506/05/2013

This guy really knows how to speak out for marriage equality. He was just interviewed on NPR regarding his new book "Beautifully Unique Sparkleponies." In part of the interview he spoke out on gay rights.

by Anonymousreply 606/23/2013

Love him.

by Anonymousreply 706/23/2013

I LOVE Chris! He's one of the best straight allies we have. Witty and articulate, as well as good looking. When his NFL career ends, I hope he becomes a writer or an activist. He seems like an interesting--and fun--man to be around.

by Anonymousreply 806/23/2013

[quote] Unafraid, articulate, outspoken, athletic, talented, sexy....AND humorous. His wife is one LUCKY lady.

And a guy as confident as that has to have a massive piece of fuckmeat swinging between his legs, too.

by Anonymousreply 906/23/2013

LOVE him

by Anonymousreply 1006/23/2013

It's not only good of him to do this, but smart as well. A football career is as short as a professional dancer's. They can only play into their 30s, possibly 40s and then that's it.

Some try to break into sports commentary work but that's a rarefied position. By being an equal rights advocate Chris is securing himself a lot of prime speaking engagements when he decides to retire.

by Anonymousreply 1106/23/2013

He was lucky to have been picked up. Minnesota dropped him due to poor performance.

by Anonymousreply 1206/23/2013

^ yeah right

by Anonymousreply 1306/23/2013

R6 He has a book tittled "Beautifully Unique Sparkleponies."

Ohuh sounds like something a bronie would say. lol

by Anonymousreply 1406/23/2013

"Kluwe set a career high with a 39.9-yard net average, but that mark still ranked in the lower half (No. 18 overall) among punters.

..."So in cold business terms, the Vikings had a 31-year-old punter who turned in a below-average performance last season and was entering the final year of his contract. They had several options, including keeping Kluwe for one more season, before deciding whether to re-sign him.

But if you've watched general manager Rick Spielman operate since January 2012, when he was promoted to his current role, you know he has systematically bid farewell to 30-plus-year-old players. The list ranges from guard Steve Hutchinson to linebacker E.J. Henderson to cornerback Antoine Winfield, and it has left only three players on the roster who are older than 30. "

by Anonymousreply 1506/23/2013

Excerpt from his book; this is his take-down of Ayn Rand.

I love him. I wish he were gay and single, I would so stalk him.

by Anonymousreply 1606/23/2013

This is nitpicking, and I'll probably get yelled at for this, but..

The 'lustful cockmonster' comment is a cute cheap laugh, but.. I almost feel like it has a slight undercurrent of still catering to insecure homophobia.

by Anonymousreply 1706/23/2013

Cheeky monkey.

by Anonymousreply 1806/23/2013

r16 lol He sounds like a certain Datalounger.

He's a very capable writer. I might just buy his book.

by Anonymousreply 1906/23/2013

r17 , You are an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 2006/23/2013

Good on Obama for inviting him!

by Anonymousreply 2106/23/2013

You can get a talking book version of "Beautifully Unique Sparkleponies" with Chris doing the reading.

by Anonymousreply 2206/23/2013

How long will Oakland keep him I wonder? He was traded to them, right? So the end of his contract is this year, then I guess OR would decide whether or not to keep him or toss him?

by Anonymousreply 2306/23/2013

" Kluwe signed with Oakland, and it'd be announced today. And today, word leaked that Kluwe penned a one-year deal with the Raiders for the league minimum. "

Minimum wage - under a million, still a whole lot.

by Anonymousreply 2406/23/2013
Need more help? Click Here.