Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

**BREAKING** Building Collapses In Philadelphia, People Believed Trapped

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — A building collapsed today on the edge of downtown, and the fire commissioner said as many as eight to 10 people were believed trapped in the rubble.

Dozens of paramedics and fire crews were on the scene working to find those trapped, city Fire Commissioner Lloyd Ayers said. At least five people were taken to hospitals, officials said.

The collapse involved a Salvation Army corner thrift store and a four-story building next door with a sandwich shop on the first floor.

It's not clear whether any other adjacent buildings were damaged.

A building that once housed an adult bookstore and theater was being demolished on the block, but officials on the scene didn't say whether it is related to the collapse.

Witnesses said they heard a loud rumbling sound immediately before the collapse.

Rescuers were using buckets and their bare hands moving bricks and rubble to search for anyone who might be trapped.

The accident happened at 10:45 a.m. on the western edge of downtown, between the city's business district and its main train station.

by Anonymousreply 4106/14/2013

"Search Is On for Trapped People in Philadelphia Building Collapse"

Rescue crews were searching for people possibly trapped in a thrift store after a building collapsed onto it in the Center City section of Philadelphia on Wednesday, according to reports from the scene.

Ronnie Polaneczky, a columnist for The Philadelphia Daily News, shared this photograph on Twitter from the scene at 22nd and Market Streets that housed a Salvation Army thrift shop.

According to reports from the scene, at least five people have been removed by emergency responders and firefighters fear that more people may be trapped inside.

Lloyd Ayers, the Philadelphia fire commissioner, told reporters that rescue crews are searching for 8 to 10 individuals.

Fire officials also said the collapse may be related to demolition work on the building next door, causing it to topple onto the thrift store and also onto several attached row houses.

Television reporters in Philadelphia posted multiple images and reports from the scene online, as well as shared live video coverage.

by Anonymousreply 106/05/2013

"Philadelphia Building Collapse: People Trapped Under Center City Building Rubble"

A building collapsed in the Center City neighborhood of Philadelphia Wednesday morning, trapping several people under the rubble.

The four-story structure crumbled at the corner of 22nd and Market streets at about 10:45 a.m., along with an adjacent structure that contained a first-floor sandwich shop. Fire officials told ABC News that eight to 10 people were believed to be trapped. Some have been rescued, and several people were pulled from the debris, according to FOX 29.

It's yet unclear what caused the collapse, though CBS News reports that the building and an adjacent structure were being demolished at the time. Emergency crews are at the scene, including four search dogs.

The building was connected to a Salvation Army Thrift Store on its southeast corner. Part of the Salvation Army building caved in, bringing down what appears to be a converted row of homes attached to the back of the structure, ABC News reports.

People are being pulled out and taken away on stretchers, according to FOX 29. At least 10 people were transported to area hospitals. Their conditions are unknown at this time.

From the Associated Press:

The collapse involved a Salvation Army corner thrift store and a four-story building next door with a sandwich shop on the first floor. It's not clear whether any other adjacent buildings were damaged. A building that once housed an adult bookstore and theater was being demolished on the block, but officials on the scene didn't say whether it is related to the collapse.

Witnesses said they heard a loud rumbling sound immediately before the collapse.

Rescuers were using buckets and their bare hands moving bricks and rubble to search for anyone who might be trapped.

The accident happened at 10:45 a.m. Wednesday on the western edge of downtown, between the city's business district and its main train station.

by Anonymousreply 206/05/2013

The sky was so...

by Anonymousreply 306/05/2013

Place bets on the cause.

by Anonymousreply 406/05/2013

Before/After

by Anonymousreply 506/05/2013

How incredible do you feel now, Macklemore?

by Anonymousreply 606/05/2013

Eyewitness (Video)

by Anonymousreply 706/05/2013

News report (Video)

by Anonymousreply 806/05/2013

[quote]It's yet unclear what caused the collapse, though CBS News reports that the building and an adjacent structure were being demolished at the time.

I think it's safe to say that the collapse is related to the building being demolished.

by Anonymousreply 906/05/2013

Do we like the Salvation Army?

Oh, noes, there's adult bookstores there!!!

Gay area.

by Anonymousreply 1006/05/2013

I bet something blew up in someone's home.

by Anonymousreply 1106/05/2013

Is this near the gay village?

by Anonymousreply 1206/05/2013

Where's Philly Snoop?

by Anonymousreply 1306/05/2013

Only 8 to ten people?

Pfffft.

by Anonymousreply 1406/05/2013

THIS is why Macklemore pops tags at Good Will.

by Anonymousreply 1506/05/2013

Bless those poor people who lived/worked there and were killed or hurt.

Philly is a shitty city but I hurt for people when something this tragic and out of the blue happens.

by Anonymousreply 1606/05/2013

Hide yo kids, hide yo wife...you better hide yo husband too....

by Anonymousreply 1706/05/2013

I hate to be the person that guy said walked into the store just before the building collapsed.

by Anonymousreply 1806/05/2013

Normally, you'd experience a burst of bright white coming from the teeth of Della Reese and Elton John as they sing you away to the pearly gates.

This being Philly, you get Jim Croce and The Dead Milkmen.

by Anonymousreply 2006/05/2013

You could hear the moaning....

by Anonymousreply 2106/05/2013

Yes, a relative of mine, r20.

r19, this is Center City. Center City isn't all rundown. A lot of Philly is beautiful and very trendy. It's like any city. It's a landmark in and of itself. Many sections still have the original cobblestones. I love Society Hill.

I don't recall the last time a building just suddenly collapsed in Center City.

by Anonymousreply 2206/05/2013

Moaning? Someone was fucking in the Salvation Army?!

by Anonymousreply 2306/05/2013

R4, es'plain Lucy.

by Anonymousreply 2406/05/2013

Any chance the victims will include Project Runway contestants shopping for thrift items they can make into a frock?

by Anonymousreply 2506/05/2013

R13, thanks. I'm safe and sound in Boston at the moment.

by Anonymousreply 2606/05/2013

Growing death count.

by Anonymousreply 2706/06/2013

Isn't everyone trapped in Filthadelphia?

by Anonymousreply 2806/06/2013

Six people are dead, including a friend of mine. Knock it off with the Philadelphia jokes. If this happened in NYC, it would be breaking news all over the world and New Yorkers would demand respect. But since this is Philly, ignorant Dataloungers like r28 think they can act like 11 year olds.

R28, if you were in front of me, you'd have a black eye.

by Anonymousreply 2906/06/2013

R29, I am sorry your friend died. However, we have buildings collapse in NYC all the time without them ever being reported outside the local news. And, unfortunately, the "all the time" is not as much of an exaggeration as you might think.

by Anonymousreply 3006/06/2013

I live in suburban Philadelphia and I was in Center City yesterday. This is a serious story but the demolition work that was being done on this building was shoddy work. You won't believe all the shady characters involved-see my link below

by Anonymousreply 3106/06/2013

And you wonder why I only shop at Neiman's.

by Anonymousreply 3206/06/2013

So sorry to hear that, R29.

by Anonymousreply 3306/07/2013

So tell us about your friend, R29.

by Anonymousreply 3406/07/2013

My friend is one of the people listed here, but I'm not going into details as this is very hard for everyone.

[quote] However, we have buildings collapse in NYC all the time without them ever being reported outside the local news.

SO WHAT? You think you're better than everyone else in the world because you live in New York?

I'm walking away from Datalounge for a little while. I know it's tradition to be cunts and make fun of disasters, but this time it's come full circle and now I just see that there are evil people that post here.

by Anonymousreply 3506/07/2013

Sorry for your loss, R35.

Some of the witless trolls here are simply hideous.

by Anonymousreply 3606/07/2013

Right, because there is no victim more likely to have a datalounge connection than the gay bashing Salvation Army.

by Anonymousreply 3706/07/2013

R29, Unexpected deaths are so tragic that many make crass jokes to deal with their uncomfortable feelings; how immature. Please believe that there are those on DL that send their love and concern in your time of sorrow, even though they never had a chance to get to know your friend. I'm sure that he was a wonderful human being.

R37, There are those that shop at the Salvation Army because that's all that they can afford.

by Anonymousreply 3806/07/2013

L&I inspector on collapsed Philadelphia building found dead

The man who inspected a building on Market Street before it collapsed last week in Center City Philadelphia, killing six people, was found dead last night in an apparent suicide.

Northwest Detectives said 52-year-old Ronald Wagenhoffer was found dead from a gunshot wound to the chest at about 9 p.m. Wednesday.

Someone found the 16-year veteran of the Department of Licenses and Inspections in his vehicle on the 100 block of Shawmont Avenue in Roxborough and called authorities.

Police said investigators are treating Wagenhoffer's death as a suicide, though a medical examiner will make the final determination.

by Anonymousreply 3906/13/2013

bumping original thread

by Anonymousreply 4006/14/2013

Yikes!

by Anonymousreply 4106/14/2013
Need more help? Click Here.