Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Kathy Griffin - Calm Down Gurrl

Did anybody watch? Thoughts?

by Anonymousreply 4207/25/2013

She's done. She has none of the fire she had before. But there's a positive side to this. People are going to stop going to her shows, she's going to stop making money, she's going to stop being covered in the tabs, the celebrity friends she made will notice this and ditch her, she will go back to the D-list, she will try to regain her old success, and we'll finally get the good Kathy back, complete with real Hollywood dirt, and an interest in what the audience really wants to hear.

Jodi Arias and her mother AGAIN? Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 106/08/2013

She's very dated, at this point. That's the trouble with most female comedians who play to gay audiences (Kathy, Margaret Cho, Sandra Bernhard)--they don't change their acts any.

That's why I've always got to give it to Joan Rivers: she's one of the few who kept her act relatively fresh. She does change who she goes after and what kind of schtick she does. Most of the rest of them don't. I'm sick of hearing about Kathy's drunk Catholic mother, Margaret's constant complaints about the producers of "American girl" making her lose weight (a well she STILL goes to), and Sandra's same old jokes with the names of the celebrities changed.

by Anonymousreply 206/08/2013

If anything, R1 is a little premature. None of this has happened yet. Why WOULDN'T she talk about Jodi Arias and her mother? A decent show.

by Anonymousreply 306/08/2013

As the OP of the other thread asked, I spotted the Meryl Streep look-a-like in the audience. She looked a lot like Meryl when her hand was covering her mouth, but less so when she pulled it away.

by Anonymousreply 406/08/2013

C'mon, she was damn funny. Her Maria Shriver bits, at Fonda's party, the Jodi Arias bits, Bieber. It sounds like after all the shit she dished on Streisand's "Oprah" appearance, Barbra was a good sport, and Kathy said nice things about her - she only dumps on you, if you're a douche. Like Sean Penn. That's why celebs are so stupid . Meet her, be normal, and you won't get burned in her act. This show made me laugh a lot more than the past 2, or 3, specials.

by Anonymousreply 506/08/2013

She lost it once she became friends with the people she's been making fun of for years.

Saw her in person about 2 yrs ago and she was a huge disappointment.

I never thought she was that great to begin with but I actually liked her D List reality show when she was married.

Sucks that the husband robbed her blind but I can kinda understand why lol

by Anonymousreply 606/08/2013

Semi okay material - but the audience in Santa Rosa wasn't really into her.

Made for a boring special.

by Anonymousreply 706/08/2013

Better than the last one, where she outright bombed. Long thread about it with everyone saying it sucked and she was over. Please Kathy, for the love of god, retire your bad Celine Dion impression, among others.

by Anonymousreply 906/08/2013

I stopped watching her specials about two years ago when she just stood up there, recapping obscure reality shows that she watched.

by Anonymousreply 1006/08/2013

I always wonder why the characterization of her mother seems to be nothing like her mother that we see. I know that reality tv is rarely "real", but wouldn't we seem some portion of the persona Kathy tries to sell us? Maggie Griffin seems like a sweet old woman who is easily embarrassed by her daughter.

by Anonymousreply 1106/08/2013

R11, Maddie doesn't deny being a Bill O'Reilly worshiper, that alone makes her a freak.

by Anonymousreply 1206/08/2013

I don't believe her mother is how she portrays her, I also don't believe for a second that she mocked Maria Shriver to her face. Come on Kathy, how stupid do you think we are?

Also, she divorced her husband because he was just using her for her money, and now in her 50s she's dating a guy 19 years her junior? What exactly does she think is going on there?

by Anonymousreply 1306/08/2013

Ya got me there, R12! 'Nuff said.

by Anonymousreply 1406/08/2013

Her mother was never interesting. She was always just something you had to get through before Kathy got to the good stuff in her act.

Not anymore.

by Anonymousreply 1506/08/2013

She's actually very funny when she does the NYE show on CNN with Anderson Cooper. However, her stand-up shows of late have been lame.

by Anonymousreply 1606/08/2013

Ok I got to say this was the funniest she has been since.............................

her first specials.

She actually talked about celebrities without, probably, not getting herself into trouble.

She should take more time in between specials. She'll have enough time to gather enough material, and actually be funny, like in this latest special.

For once she didn't talk about "her gays" as if they were pets.

by Anonymousreply 1706/08/2013

[all posts by tedious troll removed.]

by Anonymousreply 1906/08/2013

I like Kathy, but I watched the special and it wasn't great. Years ago you'd see her bravo specials and you would really listen to every word hearing the unbelievable shit she was saying, now she's on television show often I've heard all of her material.

by Anonymousreply 2006/09/2013

It was definitely one of her better specials in recent memory. My Kathy enthusiasm has been waning but she reeled me back in with this one.

And thank god she didn't make any jokes about her mom and the boxed wine.

by Anonymousreply 2106/09/2013

*So often

by Anonymousreply 2206/09/2013

I think she is hilarious. The stale comic is Joan Rivers and her schtick about old age, plastic surgery, Melissa ugh!, and shock F words. Worse than the Totie Fields she hated.

by Anonymousreply 2306/09/2013

Her specials have been pretty bad for the last couple years.

I always mute the volume when she imitates her mom, which is supposed to be funny because she uses swear words, and does this same bit every time.

She makes all these comments like she's Lenny Bruce, and is so impressed with herself. "Oh Kathy, now you've crossed the line, after you moved it." Huh?

She talks about gay men in that Gaga, Liza, Oprah, Celine, Grindr obsessed way that hateful bigots do. Her mean spirited fixation on exposing potentially gay men shows her true character. I would never be friends with someone who referred to me as her gay.

Calm Down, Girl should be directed at her miserable self.

by Anonymousreply 2406/09/2013

I'm with R15, I've never liked her bringing her mother into her act, it's a complete bore and I hate it as much as the reality show crap she loves to include in her shows. When she's not talking about that stuff, I like her. I like her with AC on NYE.

by Anonymousreply 2506/09/2013

Her talk showed bombed. It was a total bore.

by Anonymousreply 2606/09/2013

She needs another show on bravo, not a talk show but something else.

by Anonymousreply 2706/12/2013

[quote]I spotted the Meryl Streep look-a-like in the audience. She looked a lot like Meryl when her hand was covering her mouth, but less so when she pulled it away.

How funny. I thought it WAS Meryl, and I spent most of the show wondering how she was reacting to this joke or that remark.

by Anonymousreply 2806/12/2013

Not Funny.

by Anonymousreply 2906/12/2013

That WAS Meryl in the audience, with her daughter and her daughters boyfriend, right?

by Anonymousreply 3006/12/2013

I don't like it when she starts talking about the REAL HOUSEWIVES and all those reality TV shows. I don't watch them, so the references go over my head. But that's what she's become fixated on. Her talk show was boring because it was always a reality TV reference. Her early specials focused on actual celebrities, so it was fun to hear what they were like backstage. For example, that Sharon Stone encounter at AmFAR 10 years ago. Or her run-ins with Goop and gal pal Stella McCartney on the red carpet. That shit was hilarious!

by Anonymousreply 3106/12/2013

She's become one of those comics who only gets laughs from polite audiences who will laugh whenever they can tell it's expected of them. They'll laugh at anything they can identify as a punchline. So her "gays" are still laughing at her tired crap, but you can tell they'd mindlessly guffaw at anything she says. No wonder she's always on auto pilot, wind her up and it's the same predictable crap every time.

by Anonymousreply 3206/12/2013

I use her audience as a model for my own forced laughter on Fashion Police.

by Anonymousreply 3306/12/2013

[quote]That's why I've always got to give it to Joan Rivers: she's one of the few who kept her act relatively fresh.

Whatever you say Joan @ r2.

by Anonymousreply 3406/12/2013

So tired. Same old material. Will she still impersonate her mother when that mother is worm food? And that cher impression. OMG.

by Anonymousreply 3506/28/2013

I was at the taping, it was hilarious. Y'all need to lighten up and have a good time!

by Anonymousreply 3606/28/2013

I saw her live last year and even though she was funny, it occurred to me at the end of the show that she'd talked for a good 90 minutes but really only told maybe 3 stories (with multiple asides) and there was almost no good gossip or insider stuff. Very different from her shows in the early 2000s which were crammed with celebrity gossip.

She's funny and talented and has done a magnificent job of transitioning from true D-list outsider to mainstream celebrity comedian. Sadly, that means she's lost what edge she had at one time.

by Anonymousreply 3706/29/2013

Sorry OP, but she was quite funny - and I have HATED her last five "What's On My Tivo" specials.

by Anonymousreply 3806/29/2013

It just seems like she's gotten lazy. It's as if she doesn't even bother to write material anymore, thinking she is so funny she can just go out there and talk about TV shows and wing it. She's not that funny. (And she used to be.)

And, "Cher is such a crazy, butchered-face bitch" if funnier than "I'm really good friends with Cher."

by Anonymousreply 3906/29/2013

Totes Dying

by Anonymousreply 4007/06/2013

It wasn't very funny. There are much better comedians out there who deserve exposure.

by Anonymousreply 4107/25/2013

[all posts by ham-fisted troll a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 4207/25/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!