Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Fastest Ways to Lose Fat

Post your success stories here about losing fat.

I am not talking about weight loss in general. I am talking about affective ways you have used to lose fat.

I am 38 years old and it has become increasingly harder for me to lose fat. I know weight training is helpful because muscle burns more fat. And also burning more calories through cardio and eating less can work. But I get stuck between not eating enough to maintain weight lifting to eating too much to affectively burn fat and nothing ever really works out.

If I am just interested in losing five pounds of fat in the next four weeks what fail-safe approach should I use? Are there normally "healthy" foods I should avoid? Should I stop drinking coffee? Drink more water? Get more sleep?

by Anonymousreply 3906/29/2013

You are an idiot OP. It needs to be said.

If you actually want some advice that can help you on your nonsensical plan, limit carbs.

by Anonymousreply 106/05/2013

Get a trainer and a nutritionist to set your workout and diet regimen. Done.

by Anonymousreply 206/05/2013

It's been proven that people who are tired eat more of the wrong foods to try and boost their energy level. Coffee can be energizing. Herb tea, rather than liquor (which is also very high calorie) calms the nerves. Find an aerobic exercise that you enjoy doing regularly. Eat more lean protein and vegetables, and a little healthy fat. Eat before you get hungry, drink fluid before you get thirsty.

by Anonymousreply 406/05/2013

OP Here.

Just to get it straight - I am not one of these cheeto eating couch busters crying about not seeming to lose any weight while doing nothing about it.

I know a lot about nutrition. I go to the gym at least 4 but usually more times a week. I have been going for 15 years strong like this. I never had a ripped body, but I was in good shape in my 20s, to mid 30s. I did stop smoking three years ago and my average weight seemed to increase by seven lbs, and I haven't been able to lose that since.

I eat well. Lean meats, vegetables, carbs in the morning and none after a certain hour. My BF likes to cook, so the weekends get me in trouble with a glass or two of wine, some pasta or risotto dish Saturday and Sunday and an dessert both evenings.

I am just scared that in the recent past when I have been die-hard no carbs, no alcohol, no weekend indulgences for three weeks of what feels like super dieting, I only lose about 2 pounds of fat. It drives me crazy to put all that work in and see no results.

by Anonymousreply 506/06/2013

Do Dr Perricone's metabolic miracle diet or his anti-inflammatory diet/3 day diet makeover.

The metabolic diet will torch the fat off. When I was on it I was always warm because I was burning fat like a mofo. I'm usually cold or get cold easily. It's s hard and strict diet but by day 3 you won't be very hungry. Be careful easing off the diet. Keep exercising and eating right. The other anti-inflammatory diet is less hard to follow but eliminates the usual suspects - white foods and alcohol.

by Anonymousreply 606/06/2013

Five day water fast. You'll not feel hungry after day 3, and lose a pound a day.

by Anonymousreply 706/06/2013

Its the weekends that are killing your weight loss.

Basically, what you are doing sounds fine, but you should only do one Anything Goes day about once a month. Anymore then that and you will stay the same or gain.

I know you know this but the wine and deserts are like frosting on a cake. Taste good but no one looses weight eating cake.

So you are basically saying, I eat cake twice a week and don't understand why I am not loosing weight.

Lets break this down shall we:

2 slices a cake x 4 weeks = 8 slices = 1 whole cake a month!

If you really need a drink, switch to straight Vodka and a splash of water with some lime. Fewer calories, bigger buzz.

by Anonymousreply 806/06/2013

[quote]I eat well. Lean meats, vegetables, carbs in the morning

Well, there's your problem. Don't eat carbs, fattie.

by Anonymousreply 906/06/2013

2 lbs a week is considered the normal maximum you should loose if you want to keep it off long term. Any more then that and your body will go into a starvation mode and hold onto calories even more.

It takes 3,500 calories to loose or gain 1 lb. So you can literally do the math.

That is how much you would have to cut back on or burn per week just to loose 1 lb. Trying to do that every day would be very very difficult.

If you spread it out over a week, it would only be 500 calories a day less. Burn or diet.

by Anonymousreply 1006/06/2013

Carbs are OK but its sounds like you are eating way too much of them. Risotto is just rice, but dose he add other things to it like butter, cheese, cream?

In Italy they eat like 3 times as many carbs as they do here in America yet they are on average a lot thinner. One reason is because it is never a main course like it is here. A serving of pasta there is called a first course, and its about 1 cup in size, not a bowl or giant plate full.

by Anonymousreply 1106/06/2013

Don't eat gluten. It's been a month since I broke up with gluten and I look like this now. Thanks Tequila and almonds.

by Anonymousreply 1206/06/2013

A touch of the stomach flu works wonders.

by Anonymousreply 1306/06/2013

R8/10 -it's LOSE, not LOOSE! Kill yourself!

by Anonymousreply 1406/06/2013

I gave up soda. Gave it up completely. I don't even drink diet sodas as they have a lot of problems of their own and I've never acquired the taste for artificial sweeteners.

Just the simple act of giving up soda did WONDERS for me. The weight started falling off my body. Within the first month of being soda free I lost 15 lbs. I didn't exercise and I still ate whatever I wanted.

After losing 15 lbs so easily I became encouraged to start incorporating exercise and then started slowly dropping other bad food habits out of my diet. The second month I gave up fried foods. The third month I gave up white carbs.

After just three months I lost 40 pounds. I couldn't believe how easy it was for me. No one is the same, and I can't say it's for everyone but for me the best thing was to just commit myself to giving up one thing a month. Doing a slow, gradual thing is a lot better than putting yourself on lockdown because you'll bounce right back to bad habits.

It's also really important to afford yourself a cheat day so you can pig out. I suggest you do this during Saturday or Sunday since that is when most people are social and go out with friends. It's hard to be diet conscious when eating out or bar hopping with friends.

by Anonymousreply 1506/06/2013

Gosh R14, that is actually want I meant to type.

Don't get your panties in a wad, you will lose your mind and I will not let you loose.

by Anonymousreply 1606/06/2013

Do you drink milk? I quit drinking it and have switched to water, tea or coffee only. To jazz up the water I put fruit into the pitcher. I've been experimenting with stuff other than lemons and have found that I like Pineapple water the best. You'd be shocked at how many calories you drink plus the carbs.

by Anonymousreply 1706/06/2013

by Anonymousreply 1806/06/2013

by Anonymousreply 1906/06/2013

I juice fasted for a month last year and I gained it all back. That is not the way you want to lose weight as it puts your body in starvation mode and slows down your metabolism. When you start eating again, it comes back.

The best thing for me was getting an elliptical machine at home. There is no excuse for not getting cardio daily. Some days I burn 700 calories on it and I use it just about everyday. I not only look great but I feel better than I've felt in years. I'm more emotionally sound and happier.

I agree that your weekend binges are the culprit for not being able to take off the stubborn 5 pounds. Your metabolism will only continue to slow down as you age.

by Anonymousreply 2006/06/2013

Add 60 to 100mg of Coq10 to your vitamin regimen. It's really effective to lose that last 4 or 5 pounds one needs to lose. It will help rev up your weight loss.Chromium picolinate is effect in losing weight as well.

R11 Southern Italians are one of the fattest people in Europe and they overindulge in pasta. I've seen a few studies that included other Europeans like Polish,Swedes, French and others that pointed out that Southern Italians were fatter than the others in the test group.Northern Italians on the other hand are one of the skinniest groups in Europe and their portion sizes are much smaller than US portion sizes.

by Anonymousreply 2106/06/2013

[quote]Basically, what you are doing sounds fine, but you should only do one Anything Goes day about once a month. Anymore then that and you will stay the same or gain.

Sorry, but indulging only once a month is no way to go through life. I'd rather run an extra mile or be 5 lbs overweight than live such a drab existence.

by Anonymousreply 2206/06/2013

Cheat Day needs to be once again, preferrably on the weekend. There are many studies that show that it actually helps your metabolism to do this. If you severely restrict your caloric intake you are sending your body into starvation mode.

Everything must be gradual and moderate. Nothing extreme.

by Anonymousreply 2306/06/2013

What R23 said.

You have to shock your body.

I alternate between eating fruit and completely cutting them out.

by Anonymousreply 2406/06/2013

cut out pasta, cheese, bread, cookies/cake and soda

by Anonymousreply 2506/06/2013

Medifast. It totally works. You can do it for 2 weeks and lose a good 10 pounds. About 150 dollars. Jump starts your metabolism.

by Anonymousreply 2606/06/2013

[quote]I am talking about affective ways you have used to lose fat.

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 2706/06/2013

Weight Watchers - I have lost 47 lbs since January.

by Anonymousreply 2806/07/2013

Get a FitBit

by Anonymousreply 2906/07/2013

[quote]Add 60 to 100mg of Coq10 to your vitamin regimen.

I'm curious what you think about the ubiquinol form of CoQ10 as opposed to the ubiquinone form? I've read that people over 40 should take ubiquinol as the aging body no longer has the ability to convert regular CoQ10 to ubiquinol. Other testimonies claim this is hogwash. Wondering what you think as you seem to know a bit about this topic?

by Anonymousreply 3006/07/2013

divorce it.

by Anonymousreply 3106/07/2013

Worked for me, R31.

by Anonymousreply 3206/07/2013

Cocaine or Tina. Pounds melt away.

by Anonymousreply 3306/27/2013

Op, I know you have gotten a lot of good advice, and I know you probably tried some of it, but I'm gonna ask you to give this a try;

Watch your sodium intake.

Setiously, just give it a try. Its the only thing that worked for me. I didnt say, " do a paleo diet!", or do a 5 day water cleanse, or give up carbs for 6 days out of the week. Try watching and limiting your sodium intake for 2 weeks, and just go from there.

Good luck!

by Anonymousreply 3406/27/2013

R30 In my own personal experience, using either form has been effective in reducing weight loss even after 40. I've lost a few pounds and have maintained it by taking Coq10.

by Anonymousreply 3506/28/2013

Canteloupe, sparkling water and green coffee bean extract.

by Anonymousreply 3606/28/2013

Cut off your head. There's a good 15 lbs.

by Anonymousreply 3706/29/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!