Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Helena Bonham Carter as Elizabeth Taylor

She looks as much like Liz as Lindsay Lohan. But of course she'll be praised to high Heaven because she is a serious ACTAH!

by Anonymousreply 2806/13/2014

I'm just glad to see her doing something not directed by Tim Burton.

by Anonymousreply 106/05/2013

It's a nice change to see her stinking up something I don't want to see.

by Anonymousreply 206/05/2013

This has been posted for two hours now and there hasn't been a meltdown about it. HBC is one of those actresses Datalounge hates, right?

Just took a look at the picture. She looks great, at least. Certainly a better match to Liz than Naomi Watts or Nicole Kidman as Princess Diana and Grace Kelly, respectively.

by Anonymousreply 306/05/2013

" HBC is one of those actresses Datalounge hates, right?"

Only when she's ruining movie musicals, we do tend to take that to heart.

She's actually pretty good, when she's not wasting herself in her husband's films or trying to sing.

by Anonymousreply 406/05/2013

She's actually a terrific actress. She has no business being in musicals, but this should be genuien fun.

I feel sorry for Grant Bowler, who was terrific in "Liz & Dick" (& who is gorgeous) but whose performance was not noticed because of the terrible screenplay and because of Lohan's amateurish performance.

by Anonymousreply 506/05/2013

"genuine," not "genuien"

Sorry for the typo.

by Anonymousreply 606/05/2013

R3, successfully playing someone in a role is not the same thing as being lookalikes.

by Anonymousreply 706/05/2013

The assessment was based on looks only. I said nothing about acting ability.

by Anonymousreply 806/05/2013

Wrong! Unknowns should be auditioned and you'd find a much better match!

by Anonymousreply 906/09/2013

Listen, Bonham Carter is a really good actress. And compared to Lindsay Lohan, she's Dame Judi Dench.

by Anonymousreply 1006/09/2013

Like Monroe, its damn near impossible to find an actress to portray someone as iconic as Liz. However, I can't wait for the campfest that is surely to be the Anna Nicole Smith biopic airing on Lifetime later this month.

by Anonymousreply 1106/09/2013

[quote]Bonham Carter is a really good actress. And compared to Lindsay Lohan, she's Dame Judi Dench.

Then again, even Pamela Anderson is Dame Judi Dench compared to Lindsay Lohan.

by Anonymousreply 1206/09/2013

Saw a trailer for this on BBC America yesterday (they're going to run it sometime in October).

I have to say that at first glance HBC looks about right, especially as a harridan in the "Virginia Woolf" era.

by Anonymousreply 1309/21/2013

HBC is at her best in roles that are "offbeat"; basically a British Sandy Dennis with a bit more nuance, but still someone you can picture as a crazy cat lady in real life. Liz Taylor calls for someone who can do larger than life and also be vulnerable and empathic.

by Anonymousreply 1409/21/2013

[quote]Only when she's ruining movie musicals, we do tend to take that to heart.

Surely everyone in Sweeney Todd the movie was hated then? And Mamma Mia for that matter, if that counts as a "musical".

by Anonymousreply 1509/21/2013

THIS was the best Elizabeth Taylor. EVAH!

by Anonymousreply 1609/21/2013

Bonham Carter is a great actress (if you don't think so, see Wings of the Dove!). This looks like yet another shitty Liz bio, though quite likely a less shitty one than the Lohan thing. I don't think Carter is going to be praised for this performance, OP. But the fact remains that she is a serious actor - or, if you prefer, actah! There was a time one could have said the same about Lohan and perhaps there will be again.

by Anonymousreply 1709/21/2013

Why do people watch these kinds of films? Did any film about Marilyn Monroe tell them something they didn't already know? No

So why bother?

Plus, Elizabeth Taylor was a fat drunken slag for more years of her life than she wasn't.

by Anonymousreply 1809/21/2013

I finally watched this On Demand. HBC is very good despite having large dark eyes, not violet ones. And she didn't have great tits, either. They didn't seem to even attempt to give her any cleavage.

by Anonymousreply 1901/05/2014

[quote]She looks as much like Liz as Lindsay Lohan. But of course she'll be praised to high Heaven because she is a serious ACTAH!

Yes.

[quote] I don't think Carter is going to be praised for this performance, OP. But the fact remains that she is a serious actor - or, if you prefer, actah!

Even if Bonham-Carter gave an awful performance she would still be praised. Because Lohan is a celebrity joke, not a Serious Actah!, she would never have been praised. People - and DL - were waiting with baited breath to see her fail. So they could have a laugh.

Lohan's performance - whilst bad - wasn't the trainwreck it was made out to be. I've seen worse performances in a celebrity biopics. I haven't seen Bonham-Carter, but I'll bet Lohan better captured Taylor's stupidity and crassness.

Lohan was actually quite decent in her short-lived mainstream career (up to 2006). She was a better actress than Taylor ever was.

Compare Celebrity Actor Joan Collins with Serious Actah! Liz Taylor - Joan was the better actress, but because she was regarded as a campy joke, Liz - an awful actress - got all the syrupy accolades.

Some people think Liz was the better actress just because she was statured.

by Anonymousreply 2001/06/2014

She shills for Marks & Spencer in Britain.

by Anonymousreply 2101/07/2014

How many spokespeople does M&S have? There seems to be millions of them.

by Anonymousreply 2201/08/2014

by Anonymousreply 2301/11/2014

Bonham-Carter actually looks younger than Lohan.

by Anonymousreply 2406/04/2014

Don't do drugs, kids.

by Anonymousreply 2506/04/2014

It was stupendously boring. Lohan's version was good for campy laughs.

by Anonymousreply 2606/06/2014

I thought Lindsay was beautiful in that campy movie. Helena too.

I loved that tv movie where Elizabeth Taylor played Louella Parsons. It was always on network tv in the morning on holidays and my mother cooked to it. She was campy and great.

by Anonymousreply 2706/06/2014

Bonham-Carter was excellent as Elizabeth. The movie wasn't terrible interesting, but it was way better than that trashy thing with Lohan, that was practically unwatchable.

by Anonymousreply 2806/13/2014
Need more help? Click Here.