Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Apartment help

I think I'm moving into an apartment complex for the first time in my life. Anyone have any advice for when I'm looking at places? Is first flr better? Would living close to the laundry room be good or annoying? Things like that. Any help would be appreciated

by Anonymousreply 5707/17/2013

Look for spy cameras in closets and bathrooms. Check with the police department for crime reports and incident stats. I liked living downstairs, but I never had upstairs neighbors.

That said, I'd look to rent a basement or small duplex before renting an apartment - if you're talking one of those massive apartment complexes.

Also, make sure parking is ample.

by Anonymousreply 106/05/2013

If you're situated directly above a laundry room, it helps to be a person who loves the stench of dryer sheets.

by Anonymousreply 206/05/2013

[all posts by ham-fisted troll a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 306/05/2013

You should get a door with a lock on it.

by Anonymousreply 406/05/2013

A window which allows some daylight would be a plus.

by Anonymousreply 506/05/2013

Get an apartment with its own washer and dryer. God only knows what your neighbors have been washing in those shared machines. Plus your life will not revolve around finding an available time to get your laundry done.

by Anonymousreply 606/05/2013

What R6 said.

by Anonymousreply 706/05/2013

Move directly across from a Gladys Kravitz type with a panorama peephole, so she can keep track of who you're bringing home from the Peephole.

by Anonymousreply 806/05/2013

I'm guessing you are early 20s. Everyone deals with an apartment at this stage.

by Anonymousreply 906/05/2013

[quote]panorama peephole

Never heard the term before. Never going to forget the term now that I've heard it.

Post of the day.

by Anonymousreply 1006/05/2013

Just stay away from Kimberly. She's not right in the head.

by Anonymousreply 1106/05/2013

No ground floor, try to get at least 3 floors above street level, higher if there is lots of street traffic near you. The top floor is preferable.

Apartments near elevators mean hearing people coming and going.

I would trade off the washer and dryer only if I loved the apartment or if my budget demanded it.

Think about about light, your preferences for sunny versus less sunny.

by Anonymousreply 1206/05/2013

I just washed a load of shitty diapers, twins ya know. Sorry I didn't have time to clean the machine. Sure looks clean.

by Anonymousreply 1306/05/2013

Try not to get one of the roachy, rat-infested ones dear

by Anonymousreply 1406/05/2013

The best apartments have walls, ceiling, floor, doors, at least one window and a private bathroom large enough to be able to comfortably wash oneself.

by Anonymousreply 1506/05/2013

That's "Panorama peephole" OP, not "pamorama Peehole." I know some people make that mistake.

by Anonymousreply 1606/05/2013

1st floor apartment = inevitable break-in.

by Anonymousreply 1706/05/2013

If the apt complex has more than two or three floors make sure ther's an elevator. You don't want to live on the first floor because like R17 said the break in risk is high, also it's much noisier and you can't have or leave your windows open. If you can, get an apt with your own washer and dryer hook up, much cheaper in the long run and ypu won't have to worry about some bitch stealing your clothes or taking them out of the machine because you weren't there the second it stopped running. Also find out the age of most of the tenants. It might seem great to have a bunch of young people in the building until you're trying to sleep in and everyone else is up partying, you also don't want a bunch of elderly people who are too fussy and always complaining or asking you for favors

by Anonymousreply 1806/05/2013

R13 made me laugh.

by Anonymousreply 1906/05/2013

Living near the pool can be noisy.

Some complexes make deals with truly lousy cable companies. If you're considering subscribing to cable, ask for the name of the cable company and then check customer reviews. I ended up going with DISH TV and my monthly recurring expenses were higher than I had anticipated.

by Anonymousreply 2006/05/2013

I would never ever ever want to live on the first floor. Assuming it was a smaller building (under 6 floors), I'd prefer the top floor. Less noise.

Definite no on being near the laundry room, good God. The best thing I ever did was start sending my laundry out to be done. Comes back perfect. Worth every penny (about $30-$40 every two weeks for two people in NYC, free delivery and pick-up).

by Anonymousreply 2106/05/2013

I'd never live on the top floor. If the elevator breaks you're screwed. Try to get an apt. in a older building/ Pre-war. The walls or thicker. These newer apt. the wall are like paper, you can hear everything. Make sure it has a least 3 closets.

by Anonymousreply 2206/05/2013

I like living in an apartment complex. Gardeners keep it green and shady, handymen fix anything I ask, and there's a pool and herb garden in addition to the laundry. And I like the apartment itself, and the location.

Don't get a place overlooking the pool, unless you like listing to noisy young people. Do get a corner unit if you can, fewer shared walls means less neighbor noise. If you can get windows that face the prevailing breezes, or a place under a shade tree, you'll be cooler in summer.

by Anonymousreply 2306/05/2013

Another vote for top floor. Upstairs neighbors can be noisy, especially if they do not comply with rules requiring 80% of their floor be carpeted. On the down side, you are more likely to have leaks and your heating and AC bills may be higher with no climate controlled space above you.

by Anonymousreply 2406/05/2013

thanks for the advice, I had never thought of some of the stuff you came up with. Any more?

by Anonymousreply 2506/06/2013

When you live on the first floor people passing by on the street like to look in your windows. And if a sewer pipe breaks in the street, the first floor gets flooded.

by Anonymousreply 2606/06/2013

For gods sake don't live on the first floor, OP, unless you're a very very sound sleeper. Tromping across your ceiling all night, and heaven forbid the upstairs neighbors get some action between the sheets. Squeak, squeak, bump, bump etc etc. Yes, I'm a ground-level dweller, can you tell? I'm not bitter, though ...

by Anonymousreply 2706/06/2013

I have the perfect apartment - a one-story "cottage" that's on a corner, so my bedroom doesn't share a single wall with another apartment.

It costs a bit more than most units around here, but it's worth every penny. All of the advantages of apartment living, with none of the noise.

by Anonymousreply 2806/06/2013

I always check water pressure in every sink and shower when I walk through. Low water pressure is awful and usually indicative of future plumbing issues.

As has been said numerous times, dont do first floor. And youre unlikely to even get offered one, elderly people who cant deal with the stairs usually take those apartments because they wont be able to get out if there is fire.

I live in a hot climate and I would also never take a top floor apartment, the AC bill is a fortune when you are under direct sunlight.

by Anonymousreply 2906/06/2013

I cannot believe not a single vote for basement flats!

by Anonymousreply 3006/06/2013

bump

by Anonymousreply 3106/09/2013

Ya gotta get out there and look.

by Anonymousreply 3206/09/2013

What city OP? Makes a huge difference.

by Anonymousreply 3306/09/2013

Using a communal laundry room can be a bonus. You never know who you'll meet!

by Anonymousreply 3406/10/2013

R33 is correct: what city? And are you looking at smaller complexes or big, suburban-style ones?

I'd be cautious about ANY floor besides the top one of a building that a) has wood floors and/or b) allows dogs, unless you don't mind almost constantly hearing the scurrying of a dog's paws from 5am to midnight. Most newer complexes have pretty shoddy construction, so be prepared for thin walls wherever you go. Also, assuming you're not in NYC or some other city where travel by public transit is the norm, you should consider several things in regards to your car: whether a complex has assigned parking, whether it has *covered* parking (highly beneficial both summer and winter), and how close your spot is to your unit. If it doesn't have assigned spots and you can't find one anywhere near your apartment late at night, then AVOID.

Btw be prepared for both a credit and income check. The standards are strictest in NYC, where you usually have to take home 40x your monthly rent in order to qualify and often cannot use guarantors (e.g. have a parent co-sign your lease), but definitely in effect everywhere. You'll have a problem obtaining some places with a poor or nonexistent credit record.

by Anonymousreply 3506/10/2013

One word, OP, 'sirens'. One of my best friends moved to a great apt complex last summer and within a week was regretting it big time. There's a hospital on his street that's about 8 blocks away from his complex. His apt is on the street side of the complex so it gets traffic noise in the morning/afternoon and ambulance sirens at 1 am, 2 am, 3 am, 4 am, 5 am, etc. and it constantly wakes him up.

He's tried everything from putting foam in the windows, getting a white noise machine, ear plugs, you name it. Nothing is working. And he is counting the days until his lease is up in mid July.

FWIW, my brother leaves very near a fire station and has the same complaint. Constant fire trucks/sirens running. I realize sirens are a part of 'big city life' but it would drive me nuts to deal with the issue regularly, particularly during the hours I'm supposed to be sleeping.

So check to see if there are fire stations or hospitals VERY CLOSE BY (down the street, etc). If so, see if you can get an apt that is not on the street side of the complex.

by Anonymousreply 3606/10/2013

The water main broke at my apartment complex, and we're going to be without water for 48 hours or more. Now a homeowner would be turning his 401K over to a weekend emergency plumber, but here the managers brought a case of bottled water to everyone's door, brought in trucks with flush johns and showers, on a Sunday, with no extra charge.

Rent at an upscale complex if possible, the kind that believes in customer service.

by Anonymousreply 3706/24/2013

If everyone in the building is 18 - 25, it's probably going to be noisy. No biggie if you're in that age range.

The worst for noise is to live under a family with young child/ren. Most other types of noise can be negotiated. The second worst are elderly folks; they are always home and often hard of hearing, meaning noisy tvs etc. And they get up at 5 a.m.

Don't live next to the laundry room or a stairwell.

Basement apartments are usually cheaper, but also dark and get very dusty if you open the windows.

I second the suggestion about checking water pressure, at the very least in the shower.

by Anonymousreply 3806/24/2013

My tip is look for an apartment near a gay area if you are moving to a big city.

Chances are you will feel a lot less isolated being close to a gay community without having to live right in the hart of it.

by Anonymousreply 3906/24/2013

Living on the top floor will prevent flooding during a storm or when the street sewer pipes burst, but it'll be hot as hell in the summer.

by Anonymousreply 4006/24/2013

Ah, the problems of young sophisticates....

by Anonymousreply 4106/24/2013

bump

by Anonymousreply 4206/29/2013

If you live on the top floor, is it really hot(since heat rises)? I guess I could save money on heat then!

by Anonymousreply 4307/01/2013

When you visit, try talking to someone who already lives there. How well is the building run? Are they happy living there?

You can sometimes find comments on a building posted online. Google the address.

Go back at night and check it out.

How's the elevator...slow, fast? A reasonable size building should have two or you'll spend a lot of your time waiting for it.

The more windows the better. Internal bathrooms and kitchens with no windows are less desirable.

by Anonymousreply 4407/01/2013

I beg to differ, R38, the worst upstairs neighbor is the town mattress who works nights and has her married f-buddies trooping in and out all night long. I'm not bitter, though.

by Anonymousreply 4507/08/2013

the apartment closest to the elevator= a deal breaker?

by Anonymousreply 4607/13/2013

R17 is right. First floor and you've just increased your chances for a break in by a HUGE percent.

Do not get one by the elevators / stairwell. (Unless there's only a few units in the building).

Good luck getting a washer and dryer in your unit. That's tough to find in the big cities - but maybe it's possible other places.

by Anonymousreply 4707/13/2013

[quote]If you live on the top floor, is it really hot(since heat rises)? I guess I could save money on heat then!

Or spend extra on air-conditioner during the summer.

In the summer the roof gets very hot during the day and it doesn't properly cool at night (unless you live in the desert), so it's perpetually hot.

by Anonymousreply 4807/13/2013

Break-ins most likely on the first floor

If you have the choice, better to have heat included in the rent (if you live in a cold climate)

Less chance of mice with a concrete building

Might have cockroaches if you live near lots of restaurants

See what the building/area is like in terms of people noise etc. Sometimes the person they have looking after the building says a lot, too.

Better to have a small apartment in a nice area than a big apartment in a not nice area

by Anonymousreply 4907/13/2013

top floor is best=no leaks

near laundry room you will hear late/night early morning laundry doers.

by Anonymousreply 5007/13/2013

top floor is also great because there is no one walking over your head and no loud stereo

I think it is warmer, too

Better views

by Anonymousreply 5107/13/2013

Forget about washer and dryer in your apartment - I never had that in any apartment I lived in. It's not important.

I had an apt near the elevators once. I think I was conscious of the elevator sounds at the beginning, then I got used to it. I think living near the laundry room would be noisier.

by Anonymousreply 5207/13/2013

Make sure its friendly. I lived in a complex. The guy i shared the living room wall with hated my gay guts. He would always break my car antenna off. I broke my lease and moved out at 11 pm so no one was around. After the uhaul was packed i broke off my neighbors antenna and windshield wipers.

by Anonymousreply 5307/13/2013

Don't get one with a door, because you will hear the people outside of it.

Indoor plumbing is best avoided because it could leak and ruin your stuff.

Also, if the building has electricity you may have to deal with people playing stereos and TVs too loud, so look for one with no power.

by Anonymousreply 5507/14/2013

I'll add one more. If you can, get an apt with central air, not a wall unit or a window a/c, which are noisy as hell and don't always cool the whole place evenly.

Also, I would totally try to get an indoor washer and dryer. They are especially handy when you don't feel like running across town or even to the basement to run a quick load. Plus, you'll never have to wait for another person to finish or get trapped by a chatty neighbor.

by Anonymousreply 5607/17/2013

Take note of the cars parked in the complex's lots, and what the tenants do about window treatments. If there are cars that look like they have not moved in months, or what are obviously bed sheets being used as curtains, move on to someplace else.

by Anonymousreply 5707/17/2013
Need more help? Click Here.