Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

South Philadelphia

Thoughts on South Philly.

by Eddie Fisherreply 2311/04/2013

Love it! Love those tight, gritty streets where you must park your car half on the sidewalk-half on the street! I appreciate the "homey" feel and the diversity. I don't like the few ghetto parts though near Passyunk and going towards Southwest Philly, but maybe that will be gentrified someday. Love South Street. And of course Pat's and Gino's. I think South Philly is really the quintessential Philly area and its where the sports teams play.

by Eddie Fisherreply 106/04/2013

Can't wait for the trolls to come out to tell us all how horrible and "urban" (used as a pc way of saying "too black") Philadelphia is.

by Eddie Fisherreply 206/04/2013

The biggest dick I ever sucked swung between the legs of a Italian guy I met in NY who was from South Philly.

by Eddie Fisherreply 306/04/2013

r3, was he white, black, of Asian?

by Eddie Fisherreply 406/04/2013

R4, what about "Italian" suggests he might have been black or Asian?

by Eddie Fisherreply 506/04/2013

Oops.

by Eddie Fisherreply 606/04/2013

It ain't North Philly, that's for sure.

by Eddie Fisherreply 706/04/2013

What's North Philly like?

by Eddie Fisherreply 806/04/2013

I live in South Philly. I absolutely love it. It's got a very chill vibe, really great people, and lots of families. Some neighborhoods are downright charming and unexpected. It's the best part of Philly.

by Eddie Fisherreply 906/05/2013

r9, where about in South Philly are you? I remember South Street back in the day. It doesn't seem to have many funky indie shops anymore. :(

by Eddie Fisherreply 1006/05/2013

I'm in Passyunk East, r10. There's so much great stuff around here. South Street sucks now and nobody really wants to consider it a part of South Philly.

by Eddie Fisherreply 1106/05/2013

r11, isn't that the area the hipsters took over and set up a lot of cute little shops? I'm probably totally off. I just remember the streets around there are narrow, and go off in every direction.

by Eddie Fisherreply 1206/05/2013

The useful hipsters live in South Philly. The useless hipsters live in Fishtown.

The restaurants along P'unk East are wonderful and getting quite a bit of attention.

by Eddie Fisherreply 1306/05/2013

You never hear about Philadelphia flooding, and yet it will be underwater soon, won't it?

by Eddie Fisherreply 1406/07/2013

I live in Philly, I really don't think South Street is that bad. there are some pretty cool independent shops on the street. I think it is moving away from corporate culture.

by Eddie Fisherreply 1506/07/2013

I object! I bought a beautiful condo in Fishtown some years ago. It's in one of the piers renovated for high density living. It was close to everything and I love it. I have only used the place ten or fifteen weekends when I lived mostly in Baltimore. I still get a good sized rent check for that place in Fishtown, so don't knock it.

Also those who say Philly is too black, just don't want to admit that too many in Philly are simply poor. Poverty is disastrous no matter what color you are. I'm white and I've been poor in the past, and I'll never forget it. Oddly being poor was one of my happiest periods, difficult though it was. I had my parents and everyone was much closer than today. Wealth really changes the family dynamics and I'm not all that thrilled with it. Still, I wouldn't want to be poor again either.

by Eddie Fisherreply 1606/07/2013

Philly bump.

by Eddie Fisherreply 1711/01/2013

[quote][R3], was he white, black, of Asian?

I bet he was Blithtesian.

by Eddie Fisherreply 1811/02/2013

I lived in a third floor apartment on South Broad street near Oregon Ave. I loved it there. I got the best view of all the parades that started in that area. The Mummer's, the Flyers champions parades. They had the best bars too. Many a night I staggered home at 2 in the AM. No need to drive anywhere.

Then the landlord's son was shot dead over some misunderstanding by allegedly organized crime and I decided to move. Something about seeing the outline of a body on the floor of the little store downstairs made me pack up. Oh and also being taken to the police round house for questioning about the murder. Fun time.

by Eddie Fisherreply 1911/02/2013

South Philly born and bred here. Love it, always have. My neighborhood is trending up, lots of rentals,VERY gay, a lot of the CC gays are movin' to South Philly. There are 18 restaurants(at last count) within one and a half blocks. I'm living once again in my childhood home, so it's great to be in familiar surroundings. My house is 26 feet above river level, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Never had a problem with flooding, but who knows what's comin'? Pat's and Geno's? You can keep those tourist traps, I'm a fan of the REAL neighborhood places. Lots of independent stores and shops, and a farmer's market, around the fountain, once a week. Parking's a bitch, but, you can't have everything.

by Eddie Fisherreply 2011/02/2013

Are row houses the only style in South Philly?

by Eddie Fisherreply 2111/02/2013

Sunny Gale (nee Selma Sega) came from the neighborhood and she was Jewish.

by Eddie Fisherreply 2211/02/2013

Except for a few random industrial buildings covered to lofts, yes, R21. Although the styles vary and some have tiny front yards and/porches, the basic house footprint is very narrow and adjoined on at least one side. I grew up around here so I'm used to it.

There is a lot of new construction, too, so "rowhouse" isn't always a red brick Victorian. I've been inside some new, ultra-modern "townhomes" that have the exact same footprint as the rowhomes they replaced, but the fixtures, floorplans and styling are totally 21st century.

South Philly rowhomes are notorious for "postage stamp" backyards. If you're lucky you might have 10x feet to plop a bistro table between your hose and your trashcan. No grass, either, just concrete. On the positive side, a lot of these houses have balconies or rooftop decks (sometimes multiples), which have much better views than suburban sprawl. A friend has a huge roof deck in South Philly where you can watch the fireworks over the stadiums. Others have gorgeous skyline views.

by Eddie Fisherreply 2311/04/2013
Need more help? Click Here.