Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

THEATRE GOSSIP #113: If the Tonys happen and no one cares, have they happened at all?

Will people be happy with the broadcast? Will people even watch?

Will Bette appear or stay home in protest?

What shows will post notice the next day?

Are the Matilda kids being overworked?

Will anyone admit how terrible Far From Heaven is?

Can anyone who isn’t a Romanov afford a ticket to Natasha, Pierre and Co.?

What will happen to the Smash cast?

Will Cabaret 2013 save the Roundabout?

How excited are you for Soul Doctor, First Date and Forever Tango?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 60006/15/2013

[quote]Other than Margaret Illman in the flop THE RED SHOES, are there any other instances where the lead in a musical didn't sing a single note?

Lauren Bacall in Woman Of The Year

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 106/02/2013

Nearly fell asleep while reading Brantley's pretty dreary review of Far from Heaven. He didn't even go overboard for Kelli's performance as he usually does. Ho hum. Back to the drawing board.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 206/02/2013

Comedy of Errors is fine, it certainly makes the play understandable, but the leads are just playing variations of their own persona, and the two chicks are indistinguishable from each other. And even though the play runs 90 minutes (starting at 8:30pm, which makes no sense), there are way too many musical interludes.

Since it's free, and short, and I would recommend going but don't stand in any lines.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 306/02/2013

Bette, back in the day, would have shown up and presented Best Actress in a Play. I hope she has the balls to do that now.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 506/02/2013

[quote] Let's admit it. Most of the Shakespeare in the park productions are a total waste of time.

I don't get the appeal of fighting to get tickets to sit outside and watch Shakespeare in the heat. Oh and it could rain and then you're shit out of luck.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 606/02/2013

More than that, R6: they aren't very GOOD. But they're free, and people feel compelled to love them. They

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 706/02/2013

R6 They also give tickets away via a virtual lottery, which is how I was able to go Friday night and not have to wait on a line all morning. Also, I saw several people join the stand-by line at 7:30 or later and they got tickets. It was the first week, so I guess the demand/awareness is not there yet. (For the record, they stopped the show for tech difficulties about 1/2 hour in....after another 1/2 hour the show started up again).

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 806/03/2013

Manhattan Theatre Club will have a huge hit with "The Explorers Club". One silly, funny and beautifully directed show. AND John McMartin.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 906/03/2013

Bette's already tweeted next Sunday is her night off and she has no plans to leave the house.

FUCK THE TONYS. And her producers were right to pull the Tony voters freebies.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 1006/03/2013

Well, of course they were right. That's just good business. Why comp voters for awards that you're not in contention for? No one should be surprised about that.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 1106/03/2013

Maybe it's because not only do they have good actors doing Shakespeare, they also have other shows as well like INTO THE WOODS, HAIR and TWO GENTLEMEN OF VERONA (the musical).

Sure it's hit or miss, but a beautiful summer's night outside and seeing a decent show is one of the great perks of being a New Yorker.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 1206/03/2013

Far from Heaven made a dull musical because its source was dull material. Whoever thought this would be an exciting piece of theater needs his head examined.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 1306/03/2013

They are beginning the Park shows later so that it's darker. And the lights can do their magic.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 1406/03/2013

Yippee

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 1506/03/2013

[quote] Far from Heaven made a dull musical because its source was dull material.

Fetch my smelling salts!

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 1606/03/2013

Any London Charlie and the Chocolate Factory gossip?

Hoping Shaiman/Whitman haven't attempted another one of those 'patter' songs. "Don't say yes until I finish talking" from Smash and "Don't Break the Rules" from CMIYC are painful.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 1706/03/2013

To answer a question from the last thread... Hands on a Hardbody will be released by Sh-K-Boom. Like Merrily, theatre dorks will listen to it forever and wonder why it didn't succeed.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 1806/03/2013

R9, virtually anything would be better than the dreadful "The Madrid" which even Edie Falco could not make interesting.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 1906/03/2013

Is this the Justin Scott Brown who is in Far from Heaven?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 2006/03/2013

This is the Justin Scott Brown page mentioned in R20:

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 2106/03/2013

Saw the best production of "Present Laughter" I have ever seen at Two River Theater yesteday afternoon.

I have seen the George C Scott, Frank Langella and most recently Victor Garber productions, and this is the first production I have seen where there was actually a play happening instead of a bunch of utility characters setting up the star for bon mots.

Directed by David Lee [author of TV's Frasier] this production features a fine performance by Michael Cumpsty as Gary Essendine and a first rate supporting cast of NY actors that brings the "satellite" roles that are so often forgettable into vivid comic cameos.

I sat near Victor Garber [in a beautiful white summer suit] and a tall handsome guy who appeared to be his partner.

About an hour out of the city, go if you can.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 2206/03/2013

[quote]Any London Charlie and the Chocolate Factory gossip?

surprisingly good. The pre-factory stuff with the family is very well done and Wonka has a few good numbers and one very interesting and unusual sultry one. The kid who plays Charlie (not sure if there is more than one) was just beguiling and not the least bit cloying or child actory. One of the best child performances I've ever seen. Hodge is still getting there and is more functional than outstanding at the moment.

The settings are very inventive....shockingly the oompa loompas are kind of a let down. (and making Violet a rapper is an awful idea.) Veruca Salt is intact but could have had more scenes. Augustus Gloop and his mom are extremely funny and steal their brief moments.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 2306/03/2013

[quote]Other than Margaret Illman in the flop THE RED SHOES, are there any other instances where the lead in a musical didn't sing a single note?

I never saw The Red Shoes, I never heard of The Red Shoes, I don't give a fuck about the Red Shoes.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 2406/03/2013

[quote]I don't get the appeal of fighting to get tickets to sit outside and watch Shakespeare in the heat. Oh and it could rain and then you're shit out of luck.

It's the Shake Shack of theatre; a NYC institution that isn't anything special and yet, for some mysterious reason, compels supposedly sophisticated New Yorkers to line up for it like lemmings. Go figure.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 2506/03/2013

I want your babies NOW, r25!

So true, so true, so true!

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 2606/03/2013

Enough with Jessie Tyler Ferguson in the Park!!!! Is there a luckier blander actor working today?!?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 2706/03/2013

What does "Criminal Sexual Conduct 2nd Degree" mean? And who was he in Far From Heaven? I'm trying to forget the whole show.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 2806/03/2013

The excerpts of Bette's show that they showed on Sunday Morning were cringe worthy. It just seemed like Bette Midler talking not at all like Sue Mengers. No wonder she wasn't nominated. And so not amusing.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 2906/03/2013

[quote]Any London Charlie and the Chocolate Factory gossip?

Why would Scott Wittman and Marc Shaiman even attempt this? The movie score is iconic and loved by millions and there will be lots of disappointed people.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 3006/03/2013

Thomas Mitchell WON the Tony for Best Actor in a Musical years ago in "Hazel Flagg" and never sang a note.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 3106/03/2013

Agree with r9. "Explorers Club" is hilarious.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 3206/03/2013

Boyd Gaines and Karen "tiny tits" Ziemba won Tonys for Contact without singing.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 3306/03/2013

This sure looks like the same Justin Scott Brown.

Here's his professional 8x10 photo.

From Michigan Law (regarding 2nd Degree Criminal Sexual Conduct) ...

First Degree Criminal Sexual Conduct

Sexual Penetration (sexual intercourse, cunnilingus, fellatio, anal intercourse, any other intrusion of a body part or an object into genital or anal openings); and

One of the following circumstances:

Victim under 13

Victim 14, 15, or 16 and one of the following: member of the same household related by blood or affinity assailant in position of authority over victim Occurs during commission of another felony Assailant is aided by another person, and one of the following: victim incapacity * (victim is mentally incapable, mentally incapacitated, and/or physically helpless – see definitions of these below) assailant uses force or coercion Weapon involved Force or coercion and personal injury (bodily injury, disfigurement, mental anguish, chronic pain, pregnancy, disease, or loss or impairment of a sexual or reproductive organ) Personal injury and victim incapacity Victim incapacity and one of the following: related by blood or marriage assailant in position of authority over victim Punishable by up to life imprisonment.

Second Degree Criminal Sexual Conduct

Sexual Contact (intentional touching of intimate parts or clothing covering intimate parts, for the purpose of sexual arousal or gratification) and Any of the circumstances listed for 1st degree CSC

Punishable by up to 15 year’s imprisonment.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 3406/03/2013

Please stop speculating about this, it will get the thread shut down.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 3506/03/2013

r22, OMG I looked it up online and Camille Saviola from the original NINE is in this as well as Kaitlin Hopkins from Batboy etc.,

Kaitlin Hopkins is Shirley Knights daughter btw.

I see they are having a "Frasier night" with David Hyde Pierce and Perry Gilpin, might take the BF as that is his fave show. If I can figure out how to get to Red Bank.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 3606/03/2013

[quote]Why would Scott Wittman and Marc Shaiman even attempt this?

The score is a real letdown. Shaiman and Wittman are terrific pastiche artists. But this show calls for a score that is truly demented and genuinely original. They just don't have that in them. Too safe, too derivative. I don't know who there is that could have done it well, mind you. But it's not them. And then, to add insult to injury, toward the end we get "Pure Imagination" and it only highlights how wan and unmemorable the rest of the songs are.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 3706/03/2013

I don't exactly think that linking to someone's listing as a sex offender qualifies as "speculation."

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 3806/03/2013

Gee, you don't hear a lot about Carolee Carmello and her husband, actor Gregg Edelman, anymore. I haven't seen him around since before SCANDALOUS opened in NYC. Wonder what's going on?

wink, wink

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 3906/03/2013

[quote] It just seemed like Bette Midler talking not at all like Sue Mengers.

I have yet to see Bette, in any acting role, not revert to playing "Bette Midler" at some point during the performance.

She has no range. I don't think she really had it in her to do this.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 4006/03/2013

OP has let us down.

Probably not the usual OP then.

And I miss the fun, fun, FUN Fake Ziemba Troll.

You bitches ruin everything.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 4106/03/2013

NJ Transit Shoreline Rte. from Penn Station gets you to Red Bank just about every hour and the Red Bank train station is in walking distance of the Two River Theater Co.

The train ride is only about an hour and there are a few decent restauraunts right near the theater.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 4206/03/2013

R41 --- xoxo :) :)

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 4306/03/2013

JACK, A FLASH FANTASY!

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 4406/03/2013

i think the usual OP is on vacation, R41.

And a few nasty bitches in the last thread were apparently Ziemba-d out. But a little KZ is a whole lotta sunshine!

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 4506/03/2013

How do you pronounce "Ziemba"? is it ZEEM-ba, or Zee-EM-ba, or something else?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 4606/03/2013

The big question is if Norbert will be giving his usual schtick performance and will it earn him his usual Tony nomination, especially if the show only cranks through until post Christmas.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 4806/03/2013

R 46, it's Zee-EM-Ba.

This was a different OP this time.

And Justin Scott Brown from Far from Heaven doesn't look ANYTHING like the incarcerated guy. Completely different. Shame on r20/21 for trying to pretend they're the same person.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 5006/03/2013

In the playbill and flyers for "And The World Goes Round" in 1992, Her name actually had an accent mark over the middle syllable, so you'd know it was Zi-EM-ba.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 5106/03/2013

Miss CC moved on and out left Greg hubby as well as her child. Talk about SCANDALOUS!

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 5206/03/2013

The excitement of Monday: there is a waiting list for the ATC pre-Tony party on Saturday. I'm worried if I should go as a Broadway figure. Oh, it's not a masquerade. I wonder what the nut of the party is...

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 5306/03/2013

Fellas, if you plan to come to my Tony weekend bash don't waste your time. We are at capacity and have a waiting list.. but even those people won't make it in. I'm not putting any more ca$h down for another platter of hot pasta and tray of Totino's easy bake pizza rolls.

A.M.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 5406/03/2013

Anyone going to see Patti LuPone do a q&a at the Lincoln Center Library at 6? It's for the Professional Women's Theater League or some such shit.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 5506/03/2013

Are there two KZs in the broadway world?

Earlier in this thread there's a KZ described as Karen "tiny tits" Ziemba. I thought the real KZ was "teeny tiny tits" Ziemba,

Just wondering.

BTW - at the Irish Rep is a production of "The Weir" with Dan Butler. He's aged quite a bit since his days as a sexy sports radio guy Bulldog on TV's Frasier.

Any reports on how well he pulls off the Irish accent?

He's still someone I'd love got naked with. I enjoyed his perf. in "The Irish Curse" several years ago.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 5606/03/2013

Butler was cute on FRASIER (until they fired him). But he's kind of an ass, isn't he?

Someone must have stories here.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 5706/03/2013

Caught a clip of Holland Taylor on Piers Morgan where he claims the show "Ann" is a smash hit and rambled off the names of famous people who have attended the show.-HA!

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 5806/03/2013

r36, I don't know Kaitlin Hopkins but I joined her page on Facebook a while ago and she accepted the request.

Anyway, she has been writing kind of an online diary for her students about rehearsing Noel Coward at Two River Theater.

It seems the cast is one big happy family and they have cookouts and all get along famously. It is kind of interesting to hear what goes on in rehearsal for those of us who are "civilians"

They aren't revealing or gossipy, just insiderish. I don't know if its ok or even of interest enough to post them here but if you want to friend her page she will probably accept you.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 5906/03/2013

A bunch of Broadway girls having fun celebrating Cyndi Luper's 30th anniversary song...

The Annie girl is fierce.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 6006/03/2013

love it r60

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 6106/03/2013

Two pastas, bitch.

TWO.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 6206/03/2013

Bette Midler is starring in the revival of Hello, Dolly!

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 6306/03/2013

source r63?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 6406/03/2013

Bette's a little too old to play Horace.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 6506/03/2013

Bette is playing Dolly Levi.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 6606/03/2013

Who is the blonde with the confetti at .17 in the Cyndi video?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 6706/03/2013

Adam Feldman of Time Out tweeted from Patti's q&a:

On not getting the Dianne Wiest role in the musical of Bullets Over Broadway." 'Woody Allen didn't see it.' Quote, unquote.' "

On John Houseman re her enunciation issues-"He had me by the throat when Act 3 places was being called backstage on The Three Sisters and said "I want to beat you black and blue all over your face."

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 6806/03/2013

Sorry, I got the Houseman quote wrong, it's actually "I want to beat you black and blue until you're bloody with bandages all over your face."

According to Feldman also revealed she won't be playing a witch in American Horror Story: Coven, she'll be playing a right-wing psycho.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 6906/03/2013

And here's my favorite quote of hers via Feldman:

Summarizing the plot of Evita: "Evita's there, then she's there, then she's there, then she's there, then she's dead."

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 7006/03/2013

If John Houseman really said that quote, I want to have his ghostly butt babies.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 7106/03/2013

Saw The Bodyguard last week. Heather Headley gave the best performance I've ever seen in a musical. Ever (I'm 38). I hope it goes to Broadway so I can see it again.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 7206/03/2013

Phil Bond...talent-free hack booker at below 54? Discuss.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 7306/03/2013

[quote]On not getting the Dianne Wiest role in the musical of Bullets Over Broadway." 'Woody Allen didn't see it.' Quote, unquote.

who got it?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 7406/04/2013

Bernadette Peters, of course.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 7506/04/2013

I certainly hope not! Bernadette Peters CANNOT ACT! Patti seems like a no-brainer. Bernadette still plays EVERY role like an ancient baby doll. Yuck, how disappointing.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 7606/04/2013

Did anyone else attend The Broadway Musicals of 1988 tonight?

Having always been curious about Scott Siegel's series, I attended.

Won't be going back.

I imagine if the original singers return to do their songs, the show can be fun. But this format lives and dies on the quality of the performers, and tonight's singers were a very mixed bag.

Siegel's script was actually smart and interesting, and he handles hosting duties admirably for the most part, so the concept is there, but it all felt so thrown together. The chorus sang well but looked hokey (there wardrobe choices should have been vetted), there was an unnecessary 25-minute intermission, and some of the choices were dubious: Scott Coulter singing Svetlana's part on "I Know Him So Well" (the man can sing, but he shouldn't be singing this part on this song, and it all felt so hubristic), as well as singing all second-act songs from "Romance/Romance", a show where all the charm and fun is contained in the first act.

How have prior shows been?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 7706/04/2013

Cheyenne so sexy in this video.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 7806/04/2013

Helen Hanft was a nasty bitch.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 7906/04/2013

this years Tonys is officially-who cares

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 8006/04/2013

A friend of mine lived across the hall from Helen Hanft at The Jan Maxwell Residence and said the stench coming out of her apartment was considerable.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 8106/04/2013

Is the Bette Dolly official? If so, when is it happening? It's a lotta work for an old bag who is currently just sitting on her ass on a sofa and sometimes calling for lines. I wonder what the nut will be...

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 8206/04/2013

[quote] it's hit or miss, but a beautiful summer's night outside and seeing a decent show is one of the great perks of being a New Yorker

In light of the fact that there is better Shakespeare to be had elsewhere in the city at almost any time of year, the Delacorte is probably best described as one of the great perks of being a lemming.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 8306/04/2013

Audra for Irene Molloy please!

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 8406/04/2013

Audra in a supporting role? Oh, I don't think so. She's a little too grand for that these days! ON the other hand, maybe she could get Will for Cornelius, and they could cancel on alternate days.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 8506/04/2013

[quote]Saw The Bodyguard last week. Heather Headley gave the best performance I've ever seen in a musical. Ever (I'm 38). I hope it goes to Broadway so I can see it again.

Define best performance, please. Was her acting good too or she just sang the hell out of the score?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 8606/04/2013

R86. Surprised Heather turned up...most source say she only does about 4 performances a week. If she pulls that shit in NYC, the ATC girls will go bonkers.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 8706/04/2013

Will "First Date" close opening night ....or the following Sunday?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 8806/04/2013

Will Kinky sweep?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 8906/04/2013

R 89. Probably not sweep, but it will get Best Musical and Best Score. Matilda's Bertie will get best Tony actor nod, but probably not much else. So sayeth I!

(Does anyone think only those few people are going to be on hand to present. Or will Jake Gyllenhaal present all the awards???) And on the strength of announced musical numbers, it sounds like the whole thing will run less than an hour!

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 9006/04/2013

R78- Isn't that Matt Cavenaugh as the ex in the video?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 9106/04/2013

"the Delacorte is probably best described as one of the great perks of being a lemming."

Or very cheap and/or poor.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 9206/04/2013

I think a large portion of the Delacorte seats are "paid" for by donations.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 9306/04/2013

Helen Hanft was not a bitch, very personable, met her at her bldg. Manhattan Plaza at Food Emporium years ago. She was always nice and had an anecdote about the projects and people she worked with. So sad to hear this. She had a sweet dog Miranda who I always loved. She had quite an impressive resume. Woody, Paul Mazursky, John Schlesinger, etc.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 9406/04/2013

Helen looked good last time I saw her outside Manhattan Plaza about 2 or 3 weeks ago. Will miss her dearly! She said on "9 1/2 Weeks" Kim Basinger was afraid of Mickey Rourke because he was stalking her. She would stay in her trailer, Helen said she was very focused and one of the most professional actors she'd ever worked with. Helen recently appeared in the Tim Robbins urban angst film "Noise" as an agry juror.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 9506/04/2013

"angry"

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 9606/04/2013

So Ms. Maxwell still has her three bedroom, two bath central a/c balcony apartment in that subsidized building? Does she get food stamps too?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 9706/04/2013

Maxwell can't be the only one.

Let's OUT all of the Manhattan Plaza residents. At least the one's who don't deserve their subsidized apartments.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 9806/04/2013

Alec Baldwin lived there? Is this building only for actors? Even working actors, bringing home a paycheck? Don't get it. Is this thru the Housing Authority?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 9906/04/2013

To Helen's credit, she actually worked quite a bit for someone her age. Almost up until her death.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 10006/04/2013

You think Maxwell is rich???

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 10106/04/2013

[quote]Alec Baldwin lived there?

no. I think r98 means Alec paid cash for whatever place it is he just bought.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 10206/04/2013

Maybe Jan Maxwell could be Bette's Irene Molloy. Then the JM housing troll could really go loose on poor Jan.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 10306/04/2013

Does Maxwell have a husband? What does he do?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 10406/04/2013

[quote]Matilda's Bertie will get best Tony actor nod,

No, it's a supporting role and the voters know it.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 10506/04/2013

As IF I'd ever live at Manhattan Plaza.

Sniff.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 10606/04/2013

How can a grown man named "Bertie Carvel" be taken seriously as an actor? Or does he just do drag roles?

Is the 1st or 2nd syllable in Carvel stressed?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 10706/04/2013

MATILDA takes Best Musical, but KINKY BOOTS gets best score.

That's what all the voters I know have said they've chosen to do.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 10806/04/2013

If Bette plays Dolly, will she be introduced as "Mrs Dolly Gallagher, born Levi"?

How common were marriages between Irish Catholics and Jews back in the period in which the play is set?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 10906/04/2013

[quote] How common were marriages between Irish Catholics and Jews back in the period in which the play is set?

She might have been an Irish Protestant, R109. They had them then too.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 11006/04/2013

[quote] How can a grown man named "Bertie Carvel" be taken seriously as an actor? Or does he just do drag roles?

He plays the fop that Fantine scratches the shit out of in the Les Miz movie.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 11106/04/2013

R109/R110 I have it from Thorton Wilder's own mouth the Dolly was originally just Dolly Levi. The "née Gallagher" was added because of anti-Semitism at the time The Matchmaker was written. Perhaps of interest, he told me this as a parable for why it was important to remain in the closet if one was in the theater.

The "née Gallagher" was dropped from the film; so, there is a precedent for her just being plain Dolly Levi.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 11206/04/2013

Cynthia Nixon lived at Manhattan Plaza in the 80s, circa "War Games."

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 11306/04/2013

GEEZ, we're still on the Manhattan Plaza/Jan Maxwell thing?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 11406/04/2013

From the dreary topic of Manhattan Plaza to the very top of the Empire State Building: Twenty four of the current Tony nominees went to the observation tower in today's brilliant sunshine. Nobody junmped, and, more surprisingly, no one was pushed.

I tried to post a link, but I couldn't. Go to Playbill.com and you'll find the photos there.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 11506/04/2013

Link

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 11606/04/2013

R116. Thank you very much. I have enough trouble with my lines. Link? The only link I know is sausage. Whoops. But it does beat Manhattan Plaza chatter.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 11706/04/2013

Laura Osnes looks lovely in those photos. I like Stephanie J. Block but she needs to reel in the smile a bit. Looks forced. Billy Magnusson in pedal pushers.. are we sure he's straight? He's dressed like a chorus boy rushing to the stage door. All that is missing are the flip flops.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 11806/04/2013

r48 If Norbert is doing his shtick, Nathan Lane is doing his shtick, Matthew Broderick is doing his shtick, Bette Midler is doing her shtick, etc. don't you think that's what they are famous for, therefore people want to see them do that?? I never understand that stars are criticized for doing what they always do and then they are labeled for doing shtick. Make up your mind, no one is seeing Norbert playing Shakespeare or a romantic leading man.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 11906/04/2013

R86 re: Heather Headley's performance:

It is not just her singing which is triumphant. He acting is strong, her sense of comedy is on point, and then there is her stunning stage presence. Her massive talent (this is what she was born to do) is simply undeniable. I was crying and laughing by the end. Her talent is absurd. I'm thinking through past Broadway performances Ivr seen, Nathan on The Producers, Hucgh Jackman in Boy From Oz, Dougkas Hodge in La Cage, Ripley in Next To Normal? Sutton in anything? None of them close to what Heather does. Unbelievable performance. I know she misses a lot so I made she was going on before I bought my ticket. Totally worth it. Tickets are soo much less money in UK. Only 62 pounds for the top ticket. That's about $90 in American money.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 12006/04/2013

Boy I typed fast on my little iPhone. Most typos in a post ever.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 12106/04/2013

R120 = Mary, Queen of Marys

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 12206/05/2013

[quote]Bernadette Peters CANNOT ACT

That's total bullshit. She's a better actress than scream-queen Patti LuCrone.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 12306/05/2013

[quote]there is a precedent for her just being plain Dolly Levi.

And if Midler plays the part, she will indeed be just [italic]plain [/italic] Dolly Levi.

You know it's true, dolls.

Irish, Jewish, forget it. Dolly's supposed o be a hot-blooded Sicilian.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 12406/05/2013

I used to live in Manhattan Plaza. And I LOVED living there.

But now I live in Hollywood.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 12506/05/2013

Billy Magnusson!!

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 12606/05/2013

Mmm. I want Stark Sands and Bertie Carvel to stand next to each other when they're both feeding me their cocks....

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 12706/05/2013

"The Bodyguard" on stage makes "Ghost" look like My Fair Lady. It's absolutely inept and appalling. She's great, but can't come near saving it. A deadly night in theatre. It will only make it 6 months in New York. The reviews will be brutal.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 12806/05/2013

Start spreading the news..(fellas)

I'm leaving today!

See you at my Tony party on Saturday.

That is if you've paid up and have a reservation.

Gift bags and door prizes for those who have paid.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 12906/05/2013

Adorable Billy Magnusson takes YOU backstage at VANYA AND SONIA AND MASHA AND SPIKE!

He showed his fine ass on two episodes of BOARDWALK EMPIRE.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 13006/05/2013

I hear Billy loves wearing flip-flops to and from the theater. Just sayin'.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 13106/05/2013

[quote]He showed his fine ass on two episodes of BOARDWALK EMPIRE.

link? what season?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 13206/05/2013

I like him from the neck down, R126, but I liked the Casey Hughes he replaced a hell of a lot more.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 13306/05/2013

The other Casey Hughes, Zach Roerig

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 13406/05/2013

R132- this past season. May not be out on DVD yet.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 13506/05/2013

Max Von Essen STRIPS for Broadway!

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 13606/05/2013

Dolly, Dolly, Dolly! This "Dolly" talk's spoiling all the fun at every party this spring.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 13706/05/2013

Any guesses' on how much Max Von Essen will be padding his g-string?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 13806/05/2013

I don't see why Audra dropped her husband and Karen Olivo lost her mind over WIll Swenson. He is not hot at all in Murder Ballad. His shirt shows off manboobs and his pants are ill-fitting.

And he can't sing rock songs. Why is always cast in pop/rock song shows?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 13906/05/2013

Finally the right venue for Max von Essen. This has been his dream for years.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 14006/05/2013

Ragtime again? It's only been three years or so since the Kennedy Center/NYC revival flopped dismally. Give it a rest! The next thing you know they'll be reviving Hello Dolly with some Irish character actress like Bette!!!

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 14106/05/2013

Dreamy Zachary Quinto to present at 2013 Tony Awards!

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 14206/05/2013

WIll Swenson always covers his pee pee.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 14306/06/2013

"I don't see why Audra dropped her husband and Karen Olivo lost her mind over WIll Swenson."

Wait, are you saying that the reason for Karen "I STILL can't dance, peoples!" Olivo's retirement from acting was because she fell in love with Will Swenson and his timid cock? I don't remember that having been reported on here before.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 14406/06/2013

"I hear Billy loves wearing flip-flops to and from the theater. Just sayin'."

Is this true or are you making this up, r131?

Anyone know of any other Broadway hotties often seen at the stage door in flip-flops? I may have to do some stage-dooring one of these days.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 14506/06/2013

It was reported here, r144. - maybe three or four threads ago. Olivo did the show w ith Will Swenson, fell hopelessly in love with him, and, knowing she couldn't have him, quit the business rather than risk having to always run into him. At least, that's what the story was.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 14606/06/2013

Where is Olivio nowadays? Her website seems to be gone.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 14706/06/2013

How is "Ann" still running? They only sell about 40% of their tickets.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 14806/06/2013

Brenda Fricker for Dolly!

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 14906/06/2013

I'm so glad the Broadway flip-flopped feets troll has returned. I've missed him.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 15006/06/2013

I thought Olivo was married to a former RENT star who was bounced from AMERICAN IDIOT?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 15106/06/2013

Matt Caplan, R151. They divorced.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 15206/06/2013

[quote]How is "Ann" still running? They only sell about 40% of their tickets.

I imagine the break-even is minuscule. Until LCT has something else to put in there, why not collect some rent?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 15306/06/2013

Saw CINDERELLA last night and thought it was great. Laura Osnes did a really lovely job and has completely divorced herself from the stigma of having attained her big break through reality tv. Santino Fontana was also very good and sweet as the prince, though I admit I'm baffled as to why there's so much speculation with regard to his sexuality -- it's a miracle he can sing as well as he does with all of the Prada bags that routinely fall from his mouth, but that's just my opinion. (I can imagine a sequel in which Cindy puts in for a royal divorce after catching Prince Topher bottoming for Gunnar, his personal trainer.)

So is CINDERELLA underperforming? There were tons -- no, make that TONS -- of empty seats in the rear mezzanine where we were sitting, so much so that when the lights dimmed and the orchestra began playing, a massive troop movement ensued in which everybody in our section began rushing down the aisles and filing into all of the empty seats in the rows below, where we stayed for the entire show. It was great and we loved getting to move to a better location, but it did make me wonder how well the show is doing (or maybe not doing).

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 15406/06/2013

r146 is a good example of juicy theater gossip! Bring it on.

Anyone have any info or links about Olivo's crush on Swenson?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 15506/06/2013

Wow, this thread has really fallen into disrepair when information not only old but also virtually public -- thanks to KO's own web apologia -- counts as "juicy theater gossip" for our posters.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 15606/06/2013

OMG. Tony Sunday is fast approaching, and the NY1 crowd are doing everything they can to spruce up for the red carpet. Even today Frank di Lella is trying to smooth down his unruly head of hair. It's the most exciting night of his life.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 15706/06/2013

link, r156?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 15806/06/2013

Am I the only one who thinks the Tony show has all the earmarks of a major snoozefest? There's just no buzz surrounding it this year. Does anyone truly care who wins any award except for the one Andrea Martin's got sewn up?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 15906/06/2013

Mister R144, Yes,all true.

And I STILL can't dance peoples!!

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 16006/06/2013

I saw he guy playing Pippin wearing flip flops the other day

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 16106/06/2013

[quote]How is "Ann" still running? They only sell about 40% of their tickets.

By skimping on pasta.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 16206/06/2013

R161. Did he have shoe polish in his hair? That look is so unfortunate!

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 16306/06/2013

That British guy who plays Pippin is talented but not at all hot. Jeremy Jordan would have been great.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 16406/06/2013

"I saw he guy playing Pippin wearing flip flops the other day"

At the stage door, or elsewhere, r161?

Also, does he show his feets in the show?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 16506/06/2013

Am I still doing Romeo?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 16606/06/2013

I love you R162!

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 16706/06/2013

[quote]Jeremy Jordan would have been great.

Kyle? We thought you were dead.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 16806/06/2013

R165 - walking on 8th Avenue

To the boot queens out there: how is the quality of the Breakfasdt at Tiffany ? do you see the nudity?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 16906/06/2013

R169- I didn't get that one and none of my trading friends wanted it either. But it's out there.I'm happy with my audio of the final perf. of Mary Tyler Moore's 1966 musical flop. Listen to that and you hear the restlessness of the audience and rustling of playbills.. No wonder Merrick closed it right after the performance. Do like a few of the songs though.

To answer your question, the nudity like Orsini's in THE NANCE, is very quick... audiences saw more of Emilia Clarke. At least that is what I was told.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 17006/06/2013

The musical Holly Golightly is getting a semi-staged reading by Lost Musicals in London this September.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 17106/06/2013

Thanks R170, I saw it and was wondering if it was worth it. I did get the Kinky first preview - was that good quality?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 17206/06/2013

Great Times Talk panel with Holland Taylor, Judith Light, Kristen Nielsen, Maura Tierny, Cicily Tyson and Jessica Hecht.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 17306/06/2013

Haven't received my copy yet R172.

I hear the Cinderella boot is great except for a small cover up during Victoria Clark's Act Two solo. What's it called.. "The Music in You?"

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 17406/06/2013

Thanks R174 - Cindy is on her way to me as well, and of course it had to happen during Vick Clark's solo.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 17506/06/2013

[quote]I hear the Cinderella boot is great except for a small cover up during Victoria Clark's Act Two solo.

It was probably Vicky's own fat ass getting in the way of the camera.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 17606/06/2013

We're evaluating boots?

Gawd this site sucks.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 17706/06/2013

[quote]Laura Osnes' forthcoming Tony award

Sorry Honey, but unless Cinderella swings on a trapeze, Tony is moving in with Patina.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 17806/06/2013

Sorry to tell all you cynical bitches, but everything I'm hearing from inside Radio City is that this is going to be a great Tony show.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 17906/06/2013

ooooo r179 is an insider!!! Well color me impressed!

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 18006/06/2013

Feingold gets picked up by Theatermania.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 18106/06/2013

d'oh...

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 18206/06/2013

Has everyone already left for Radio City?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 18306/07/2013

We haven't left yet because the weatherman has said that NYC is getting a huge storm. We're staying indoors, because it's going to be the worst storm in US history. If you're not here, tune into any national news; it will be the lead story. Besides, who wants to get their Pradas wet?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 18406/07/2013

I1l be there as a seat filler Sunday. After the attending ATC Tony party Saturday.

Maryann

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 18506/07/2013

You'll recognize mlop by the twinkling lights on her sweater vest.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 18606/07/2013

And the deer-in-the-headlights look on her mug.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 18706/07/2013

And the picture of Karen Mason pinned to her sweater.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 18806/07/2013

Thank God. Primetime is off. Even with it on, no one is bothering to post on DL these days. Here it is, now just two days till the Tonys and the only person of interest is mlop. What has the world come to. No scandal? No real gossip? Can it be?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 18906/07/2013

I plan on filling several seats this weekend, too, R185.

Heh-heh.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 19006/07/2013

R128- The Bodyguard has already gotten a great review from Ben Brantley. He raves about Heather Headley and doesn't come down hard on the show.. And that's why it will be a top ticket on Broadway. What she does is way better than any of the Tony nominees this year. I agree it feels like Ghost BUT in The Bodyguard, the hummable known music is GREAT. Not so with Ghost. People LOVE "I Will Always Love You." The Bodyguard will be a smash hit on Broadway for as long as Heather is in it.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 19106/07/2013

does this First Date thing reek of being a dog or what?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 19206/07/2013

I'm so excited that two of the theaters on the "wrong" side of Broadway are going to be occupied with high-class events. The beautifully renovated (but with no lobby to speak of) Belasco, and the ever dingy Cort, both with atrocious and difficult to sell second balconies. But my goodness, Ian and Patrick at the Cort and Rylance over-acting in the restored Belasco! Who could ask for anything more!

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 19306/07/2013

Does Headley even want to do THE BODYGUARD in New York? If she's finding it so debilitating in London, I wonder why she'd even want to sign up for another round of it. The fact that she's done no theatre since AIDA seems to indicate that Broadway stardom is not a big motivator or interest for her. Maybe they'll make her a financial offer she can't refuse.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 19406/07/2013

I don't think no Broadway in 13 years is necessarily completely by choice. Her range is just limited. There are only a few roles she can play. I would assume she would want it to go Broadway. Who wouldn't want another Tony? It's hers if she wants it.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 19506/07/2013

I also wonder how exaggerated the claims of her only doing 4 a week are? She might've had a couple weeks where she missed and some queen was pissed she didn't go on the night he went and then decided to spread the word that she was unreliable.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 19606/07/2013

Patti LuPone, summarizing the plot of Evita: "Evita's there, then she's there, then she's there, then she's there, then she's dead."

How terribly witty.

P.S. There's a lot of stupidity about Shakespeare in the Park to be found in this thread. You'd think anyone would be embarrassed to make a comment like "Most of the shows are a waste of time," but obviously not.

P.P.S. Heather Headley's absences from THE BODYGUARD in London are well documented.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 19706/07/2013

Heather is slowly creeping into Donna(miss 98 performances)Murphy territory.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 19806/07/2013

Karen Olivo talks extensively about Will Swenson and even suggests doing PASSION with him and Audra someday in a long interview she did on BroadwayWorld late last year for MURDER BALLAD.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 19906/07/2013

r191 you -and those plebeians like you who attend theater - are the reason why theater has died and will remain dead, dead, dead. The Bodyguard with Whitney Houston songs - give me a fucking break. How low can we set the bar?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 20006/07/2013

Speaking of Karen Olivo...

Never give up on your dreams, Karen. Don't let some married man, with timid cock, get in the way!

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 20106/07/2013

Heather Hedley is overrated, Ladies. And her attendance record would have gotten her ass fired oh lo not so many years ago.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 20206/07/2013

So, Best Musical: KINKY or MATILDA?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 20306/07/2013

[quote] Heather Hedley is overrated, Ladies. And her attendance record would have gotten her ass fired oh lo not so many years ago.

What the eff? Four times a week is fine!

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 20406/07/2013

[quote]you -and those plebeians like you who attend theater - are the reason why theater has died and will remain dead, dead, dead. The Bodyguard with Whitney Houston songs - give me a fucking break. How low can we set the bar?

Shall I get my mirror ball suit jacket and show you again?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 20506/07/2013

[quote]Rylance over-acting in the restored Belasco!

Can't take him seriously since I saw his average hard-on on screen.

[quote]How low can we set the bar?

How about another revival of "Follies"? That should set the bar so low, you could trip on it.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 20606/07/2013

Bette Midler in HELLO, DOLLY! should do the trick.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 20706/07/2013

I voted for KINKY. I hope lots of others did too. These days everyone needs a feel-good musical, not a smart, elegantly produced downer.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 20806/07/2013

Why is Heather's manager/pr shill posting so often about her? We get it, your client is a wonder.

Blah, blah, blah ...

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 20906/07/2013

Does it really have to be re-set?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 21006/07/2013

Best Actor: Tom or Nathan. If niceness can buy a Tony Tom is in. If a remarkable performance is important, Nathan could win What's the 11th hour consensus?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 21106/07/2013

[quote]If niceness can buy a Tony Tom is in

He's only "nice" because he's on best behavior in NY. He's a drunken asshole on his home turf in LA.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 21206/07/2013

R 206. Was Rylance's hardon cut or uncut? And what was the movie? And was he overacting in it

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 21306/07/2013

My predictions

KINKY wins Best Musical

Laura over Patina

Billy over Bertie

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 21406/07/2013

Somebody slap Charlotte now.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 21506/07/2013

MEMPHIS!

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 21606/07/2013

R213, "Intimacy" - undoubtedly uncut, although I think we only see him hard - and getting a blowjob from Kerry Fox.

No, he doesn't overact in that one - but it's a bloody bore of a film, and could use some overacting.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 21706/07/2013

I think Laura Osnes will win too. Not so sure about Billy over Bertie Carvel but I'd be happy if he (Billy) did take it. MATILDA....just was a strange show. Guess I expected the second coming. Didn't do it for me. PIPPIN hands down for musical revival and Andrea Martin for Best Supporting Actress in a Muiscal. Actor-- bet it goes to Tom Hanks. Would like to see Tracy Letts win. Actress- Cecily Tyson but it would be great if Neilson won. She was so good. VANYA etc..etc for Best Play. Best Play Revival- VIRGINIA WOOLF Score - Lauper for sure.

He won't win anything but maybe adorable Billy Magnusson will present an award, do a scene from the play in his briefs, flash the audience or something ;)

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 21806/07/2013

As much as PIPPIN was great, anyone else think it was a little too much , and a bit...hollow?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 21906/07/2013

Rob Ashford, director extraordinaire, let go from another musical Finding Wonderland in the UK. Maybe he should stick to revivals with TV and movie stars.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 22006/07/2013

I loved the original Pippin a lot, but thought Paulus did a great job doing exactly what Fosse did- constructing an evening AROUND a very weak book and a catchy pop score. It's not as good as the original, but who really thought someone would come up with a new way to make Pippin such an event? Tony to Paulus.

Patina Miller was the only weak link for me, and she was certainly technically proficient. I found her charm free in Sister Act, too. She seems like the star of a tour- not the original Broadway production.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 22106/07/2013

Laura Osnes was lovely, but Patina Miller was a revelation. My vote goes to Ms. Miller.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 22206/07/2013

Heather is not overrated just under served by the show. We saw itvand loved her but I doubt she can sustain that performance on Broadway 8 times a week.

Thought Pippin was fun but Matilda a little inacabove tge heads of many tony voters.

Agree with the poster upthread about Present Laughter @two river theater. We live in MiddlM NJ not far away away so we went last night

Michael Cumptsy giving a generous performance that allows the other characters their "moments" unlike the recent Broadway productions. Kate Hopkins Veanne Cox James Riordan and Camille Saviola (9) were faves and cole escola was cute as a button

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 22306/07/2013

Carmudgeon. I think your comments about Pippin sound like they have come from Dame Ben's review. And did you mean cUrmudgeon? (Spelling police lie in wait everywhere.)

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 22406/07/2013

r223, here sorry for all the typos. Typing on a bumpy train

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 22506/07/2013

"These days everyone needs a feel-good musical, not a smart, elegantly produced downer."'

Absolutely. How unconscionable of theater folk to assume the audience is intelligent or capable of appreciating anything other than juvenile, sequin-spangled crap!

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 22606/07/2013

[quote] "These days everyone needs a feel-good musical

I've never got this. Everyone thinks the period they're living in has more problems than what should be expected. The demand for escapism shouldn't be an excuse for a dumb show.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 22706/07/2013

[quote]"These days everyone needs a feel-good musical

And I consider The Evil Dead a feel-good musical.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 22806/07/2013

I saw Charlotte and hubby Mann out shopping the other day. What did she do to her face?

Will she ever play Roxie again?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 22906/07/2013

Hollywood Bowl's annual summer musical show is CHICAGO this year:

Brooke Shields, director

Rob Fisher, conductor

All-star cast to be announced

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 23006/07/2013

Still lots of suspense on who and what will win Tonys 2 days before the show. How many years does that happen?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 23106/07/2013

STREISAND VS. SONDHEIM FEUD BREWING!!! STREISAND CALLS OUT SONDHEIM FROM AMSTERDAM STAGE!!!

Barbra Streisand Says 'Call Stephen Sondheim' About GYPSY Film

Stage and screen legend Barbra Streisand is in the midst of a sold-out concert tour in Europe, and when asked by a fan in the audience about the status of the GYPSY film, she answered "tell those people who want to know when I will start filming GYPSY to call Stephen Sondheim and ask him."

As BroadwayWorld previously reported, Streisand will star in the film as 'Mama Rose' and will also potentially direct the project, which has been in the works now for several years.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 23206/07/2013

It's rumored that Sondheim doesn't want Streisand to direct. I never thought that was the case anyway. He probably just doesn't want to tell her that she's too old.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 23306/07/2013

The old coot praised Helena Bonham Carter. Enough said.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 23406/07/2013

Sondheim wouldn't be acting like such a dick if Arthur Laurents were still alive.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 23506/07/2013

Please, Laurents would be even more of a pain about a new Gypsy film.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 23606/07/2013

If Arthur Laurents was still alive there'd be NO film of GYPSY with Streisand.

Unless he directed it.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 23706/07/2013

Thank Goddess that Sondheim has FINALLY developed some spine and artistic integrity regarding potential films if his shows. Streisand would be an elderly travesty as Rose. Good for him for stopping it.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 23806/07/2013

Brooke, honey ... call me!

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 23906/07/2013

Perhaps, R235, but in all fairness, Arthur Laurents two years dead is still a bigger prick than Stephen Sondheim is alive and kicking.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 24006/07/2013

Sondheim's spine only comes alive at the thought of money coming into his coffers, so he can redecorate his "basement" premises. And since he's, what, 82 or 83, how the hell does he think he's going to go up and down those stairs very often much longer. He's still got to finish yet another set of revisions on, what's the current name of his not-so-current show?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 24106/07/2013

Arthur Laurents wanted the Gypsy remake with Streisand. He signed off on the project before he died. He said in his last memoir that he blessed the film, and that he and Barbra had many conversations about how she should play Mama Rose.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 24206/07/2013

She'll play Rose like a Jewish overbearing Yenta. Too bad Walter Matthau isn't still alive to play Herbie- what a reunion that would be. But they gotta get someone old to play him so she can look younger. In fact everyone in the cast needs to be 20 years older than the actual characters are supposed to be. Who's gonna play her father?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 24306/07/2013

It's his attic, not his basement, R243.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 24406/07/2013

[quote]Thank Goddess that Sondheim has FINALLY developed some spine and artistic integrity regarding potential films if his shows. Streisand would be an elderly travesty as Rose. Good for him for stopping it.

And if the film were made it would affect your life, how exactly? He should be lucky anyone wants to make a film of his shows. 26 years to get "Into the Woods" filmed and it took Streep's name to get it. 43 years and counting, no "Company", 42 years and no "Follies' "Pacific Overtures", "Merrily We Roll Along", "Sunday In The Park With George", "Passion" and on and on.....

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 24506/07/2013

Listen, GYPSY's been ruined enough - by Laurents' own (mis)direction, by miscasting -- and that's on stage. We have two blah movies, one ruined by Russell not being able to sing, even with Lisa Kirk's voice, and the other by Midler's tepid performance. We don't need a third miscast film.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 24606/07/2013

R245 conveniently ignores the fact that the advent of Sondheim's superstardom as a theatre composer/lyricist coincided with the downfall of movie musicals. He's had four movie musicals (quality notwithstanding), with a fifth ready to film in September. Plus, telecasts of Sweeney, Into the Woods, Passion (which was shown in movie theatres) -- he's done well considering movie musicals are only marginally higher on the "must-make" list than they were in the late 1970s.

Kander and Ebb have had only two.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 24706/07/2013

Is it Charlotte D'Amboise or St Martin? Big difference!

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 24806/07/2013

Musical - KINKY just barely edging out MATILDA

Actor - Carvel - this will be Matilda's major win (but Porter COULD upset)

Actress - Miller edging out Osnes

Featured Actor - Terrence Man, with Charl Brown potential upset

Featured Actress - Andrea Martin, of course

Director - Paulus

Choreographer - Chet Walker

Book - Matilda

Score - Kinky

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 24906/07/2013

[quote]Is it Charlotte D'Amboise or St Martin?

Neither. It's Charlotte Russe.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 25006/07/2013

[quote]Kander and Ebb have had only two.

Yeah and the revival of "Chicago" has played more performnaces than all Sondheim shows combined. They win.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 25106/07/2013

The Tonys are in two days and there is nothing from the theater queens, who have usually saturated DL by now, especially with such gayness on stage. Must be a tragic year for the theater.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 25206/07/2013

It's all because Karen Z hasn't given us a pep talk in weeks. We need her special enthusiasm and zest this time of the year and maybe her banjo playing as well! Let's hear it from Karen.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 25306/07/2013

Will I be flying on Sunday?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 25406/07/2013

[quote]The Tonys are in two days and there is nothing from the theater queens, who have usually saturated DL by now, especially with such gayness on stage. Must be a tragic year for the theater.

They are over at ATC being outraged that Nathan Lane said Chicago audiences are better than New York ones. I'm sure Nathan will be beat about the head with a roled up Playbill for this.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 25506/07/2013

Points for Nathan. Chicago audiences ARE better. They go to theatre because they actually want to see something, not because the Times shamed them into buying a ticket.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 25606/07/2013

The big question for me is why didn't Streisand film Gypsy 20 (or 30) years ago when she was the right age?

She's certainly not a bigger box office attraction now than she was then.

Why is this film only happening now....if it ever happens?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 25706/07/2013

I think Streisand's perfectionism slows her down and makes it hard to commit. (plus I bet she was afraid to do it when her mother was still alive)

Was she offered the Midler version years ago?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 25806/07/2013

"She's too Jewish to play Pippi."

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 25906/07/2013

Just got around to watch the Audra concert from Lincoln Center. A very mixed bag. Great tunes like Summertime and When Did I Fall in Love? sandwiched in between too many contemporary duds.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 26006/07/2013

"The big question for me is why didn't Streisand film Gypsy 20 (or 30) years ago when she was the right age?"

Because, although super-talented, she's known for making lots of bad decisions throughout her career.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 26106/07/2013

Been watching the full Tony Award broadcasts of past. Boy, they sure did have huge casts back then, "Cabaret", "Applause", "Coco", more than I ever saw. 1970 they showed a over ten minute scene from "Coco". Hepburn of course couldn't sing a note but she acted the hell out of it and the fashion show looked cool with the moving stairs. Anyone see it? It is worthy of a revival, perhaps with a singer?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 26206/08/2013

Marry me, R262!

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 26306/08/2013

Coco? click click click

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 26506/08/2013

I think Coco has some nice melodies buried in it. With some great orchestrations for an actual singer, it could be glorious. There's no need for the level of sing speaking that Hepburn relied on.

It would need a fucking huge rewrite though. Better to do a studio album than a revised book to get rid of the clichéd gay fashion designer and the boring young couple.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 26606/08/2013

Presumably, if Barbra had wanted to do Gypsy 20 years ago, she could have done. I know Bette was a huge box office draw then, but Barbra was BARBRA. If she had asked for it, she would have got it most likely.

I can't imagine that she's ever not wanted it though. Look at "How Lucky Can You Get" in Funny Lady - complete Rose's Turn knock-off.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 26706/08/2013

Look around Broadway, Darlinks. Today, Coco is My Fair Lady, Guys and Dolls, and Carousel combined. And I am not being hyperbolic.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 26806/08/2013

Is there any chance that for Streisand they could just change it to Grandma Rose? That would solve a lot of problems.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 27006/08/2013

I don't think Streisand will really be that great as Mama Rose. She likes to be liked, she wont' allow herself to be seen in anything less than a sympathetic light, character-wise.

I imagine her Mama Rose will be a lot like her Fanny Brice.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 27206/08/2013

We are so fucking sick if hearing about Karen Ziemba. We ALL learned to play the banjo for that fucking show!

Signed,

Karen Mason, Jim Walton, Brenda Pressley, Bob Cuccioli, Marin Mazzie, Joel Blum, Marcus Lovett, Terry Burrell, Shelly Dickinson, Valerie Wright, John Reuss, etc. etc, etc.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 27306/08/2013

Nathan is better loved in Chicago because the Middle American Polacks aren't as fat-phobic as the East Coast Jews.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 27406/08/2013

Since the TONYs expelled critics from the voting rolls, they are completely meaningless.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 27506/08/2013

Streisand, like Midler, would fail at Rose because of her desperate need to be adored at all times. To succeed at Rose, the actress has to acknowledge that she has a dark side and not be afraid to give us a good look at it. Merman succeeded because her stage persona was always an edgy one, and though Rosalind Russell probably erred on the side of being too unlikable (which is why most people don't like her Rose) I think she was perfect.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 27606/08/2013

JESUS CHRIST was that Coco clip long on the Tony video! The League was trying to make Coco happen harder than the Coco Troll!!!

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 27706/08/2013

The critics (the members of the New York Drama Critics Circle) were reinstated after only one year. They still vote for the Tonys.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 27806/08/2013

"MATILDA tells mediocre people that they're mediocre"

But ya are, Blanche, ya ARE!

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 27906/08/2013

Saw Billy at the stage door before the performance of VANYA, looking hot, but smoking (as in cigarettes), so I was a bit disappointed that I would be kissing an ashtray (not that I would rule that out).

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 28006/08/2013

[quote] To succeed at Rose, the actress has to acknowledge that she has a dark side and not be afraid to give us a good look at it.

That's why Tyne Daly is my favorite Rose. Probably the best actor to play the part that I've seen, and not afraid to show what a monster she could be.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 28106/08/2013

I did R262. On a college theatre trip. Didn't really care for it. I saw APPLAUSE the next night and I enjoyed every minute. Bacall was mesmerizing on stage. I remember how elaborate the set and costumes were for COCO... not sure it's revivable. Maybe as an Encores! production. By the way, that 10 minute clip was taped at the Hellinger Theatre where the show was playing. So Hepburn and company did not perform that live at the Tony Awards. And I saw CABARET too when I was still in high school. I loved that original production. As good as the in your face stripped down revival was, I miss the glittery look of the large scale original production. I've got quite a few of those old Tony Award broadcasts-- it is fun to look back and also a little sad.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 28206/08/2013

That's okay, R280. His cock doesn't smoke, so just suck on that (although when he cums, his jizz might not taste so good).

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 28306/08/2013

Frank Delillo is so annoying on this Tony Roundtable. So "insider news" know-it-all attitude. I don't know who's more annoying, him or David Cote.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 28406/08/2013

Frank's favorite phrase is "Hands Down."

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 28506/08/2013

Yeah. "Hands down" my pants. Ha Ha. Is it true that his parents subsidize all the theater in Moron Broadway?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 28606/08/2013

Yes, r271 you articulated what I was struggling to express @ r233.

I know some of the Tony voters and they are NOT the same level of theatre goer as the nominating team. Some real lunkheads in that group who should not be deciding who is the best of Broadway in any given season.

American Idol and the like have convinced everyone that if they just got the chance they would be a mega star and its like a drug.

Btw, I agree with the poster who said Tyne Daly was the best Rose because she was unconcerned about showing what a monster Rose is. Striesand is not only too old, but too ingratiating and internal for Rose

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 28706/08/2013

"Saw Billy at the stage door before the performance of VANYA, looking hot, but smoking (as in cigarettes), so I was a bit disappointed that I would be kissing an ashtray (not that I would rule that out)."

Was he wearing flip-flops??

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 28806/08/2013

Saw a production of High Society not too long ago.

Of all of Porter's back catalog, what possessed the creators to choose those songs to pad the show with? I know Anything Goes has taken most of the best known standards, but there are plenty of better Porter songs. It's not like the songs they chose are even that well integrated.

On another note - the plot of The Philadelphia Story has to be the thinnest of any 'classic' play.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 28906/08/2013

DeLillo it seemed to me was an intern who got very lucky,

What's this about his parents?

Most theater pundits are insufferable, BTW.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 29006/08/2013

"The critics (the members of the New York Drama Critics Circle) were reinstated after only one year. They still vote for the Tonys."

Yes, but before the major purge of critics from the Tony voters pool several years ago, there was a MUCH larger number of them among the voters. I don't remember the exact figure, but the NY Drama Critics Circle membership is a relatively very small number of people.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 29106/08/2013

Lauren Bacall shouldn't have won for Woman of the Year.

Chita or Linda would have sufficed. And Linda gave a thrilling performance in PIRATES.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 29206/08/2013

OMG. Linda Lavin was in Pirates??? I'm so sad I missed her Mabel. Or had she graduated to Ruth? Oh, no, not enough warm charm for Ruth!

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 29306/08/2013

Agree, R292. Bacall deserved the Tony win for APPLAUSE. Not so much for WOMAN OF THE YEAR.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 29406/08/2013

Who's performing tomorrow to lure in the younger viewers? There's always some gimmicky performance besides the nominated shows.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 29506/08/2013

It sure isn't the cast of The Lost Colony! That's grandparents territory, not teens.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 29606/08/2013

[quote]Who's performing tomorrow to lure in the younger viewers?

The cast of that hot, new show THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA. That'll bring in the kids. Who doesn't love a lispy Swede in monster make-up singing a thirty year old dirge?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 29706/08/2013

Critics are meaningless. The real reason they're all being purged? They're average writers and small people. If KINKY wins tom'w night, part of the reason will be a big Fuck You to Brantley for his insane shilling for Matilda. And why did he love Matilda so much? Because its about a weird, possibly ugly, person obsessed with books who feels everyone is against her, and no one understands how smart she is. If you've ever seen Brantley on television, he's Matilda.

And don't get me started on Isherwood.

Frank Rick, Walter Kerr, come back!

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 29806/08/2013

What is Frank DiLella's deal? Does he get $ from his parents? I saw him at FAR FROM HEAVEN last night. He looks smaller in person. On The Donna Karger Show he looks like a big oaf. He's normal size in person.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 29906/08/2013

Fellas, the party JUST started. It's only been going on about five minutes. Already I am SICK of these whiny people.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 30006/08/2013

Oh, shit!!!! I forgot that's going on right now. Is mlop there? And did they trot out jdm's mom's corpse?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 30106/08/2013

[quote]I know Anything Goes has taken most of the best known standards

Actually, in the Lincoln Center version (which was the basis for the SuttFo version), only four songs were borrowed, "It's Delovely," "Goodbye Little Dream" from Red Hot and Blue, "Friendship" from DuBarry Was a a lady, and "I Want to Row on the Crew."

Plenty of Cole Porter standards left. But HIGH SOCIETY is a mediocre version of THE PHILADELPHIA STORY to begin with. They should have left it alone and not done it.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 30206/08/2013

R301- (sob)

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 30306/08/2013

Wasn't it the fabulous Eileen Rodgers (who?) off-Broadway revival that originally incorporated most of those other Porter tunes into Anything Goes?

I played that LP to death on my dorm turntable in 1968.

WEHT Eileen Rodgers? Or Virginia Martin, for that matter?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 30406/08/2013

R304- Died in 2003. After FIORELLO!, TENDERLOIN and ANYTHING GOES she did some shows in stock. She was Ethel Merman's standby in Lincoln Center's ANNIE GET YOUR GUN. Guess they figured Merm's best friend Benay Venuta (Dolly Tate) couldn't cut it and she lost out as the cover. Eileen concentrated later on a singing career, cut some albums, appeared in supper clubs. Got married, had two sons.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 30506/08/2013

R301 Give it a couple of hours. Tonight and all day tomorrow, that site will be full of the 'Broadway kids' thanking everyone for the party, posting who they met, how different that looked from their screen names, and comparing gift bag goodies.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 30606/08/2013

What does hitbycab look like?

And will jesse21 show up in his gogo boy outfit?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 30706/08/2013

Big kerfuffle currently at the Iguana. Stevenstage has been denied admission by the reptiles in charge. And they're a scary bunch when cornered. Mlop is flickering on and off, mostly off. Ah let the good times roll.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 30806/08/2013

Oh, for pictures...... priceless!

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 30906/08/2013

My last post on the subject too---- how many dishes of pasta this year? Did they turn on the a/c?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 31006/08/2013

For those in NYC, CBS2's Tonys special starting now if you're interested.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 31106/08/2013

"Oh, shit!!!! I forgot that's going on right now. Is mlop there?"

And what about katie, krebsman, scottsimms or brucememblatt...are they there? I miss them!

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 31206/08/2013

I wonder if someone has to skip the party each year so that they can monitor the site.

I went once, it was bizarre, but pleasant until Jesse21 introduced himself and one of his mean girl posse called me out on the fact that I have challenged Jesse21. Everyone wears their ATC name on a label which is weird. I left it feeling like I could have made a lot of money if I was a rent boy.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 31306/08/2013

[quote]one of his mean girl posse called me out on the fact that I have challenged Jesse21.

What did they say?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 31406/08/2013

In the past, the thread was closed (shut down) until one of the 'three heads' could return and monitor. Let's not forget the one year (he who will remain nameless) hijacked the thread during the Tony bash and posted "May you ALL get genital warts.... each and every one of you!" over and over and over. I think that's the case this year, lock down. When I looked a SethRudesky post from three hours ago, was the header. Still at the top of the thread

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 31506/08/2013

I wonder if a certain mentally deranged parody pusher who was bANNed this year showed up.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 31606/08/2013

That's the only new thread, r315. If you look at the posts immediately beneath it, you'll see a lot of reply posts timed after that one. So the board is open and active.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 31706/08/2013

R307, I see that now. Thanks!

R315.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 31806/08/2013

[quote]Guess they figured Merm's best friend Benay Venuta (Dolly Tate) couldn't cut it and she lost out as the cover. Eileen concentrated later on a singing career, cut some albums, appeared in supper clubs. Got married, had two sons.

Why would Benay Venuta have wanted to be the cover for Merman, when she was being offered the second female lead?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 31906/08/2013

I was involved in a regional production of GYPSY when I was in high school. Miss Venuta was our Equity guest star Rose... she went on and on about how Merman was her very best friend, and how she was her cover.. in rehearsals she interrupted the director over and over "Ethel crossed from this side.. Ethel did it this way... Ethel would never wear that color...."

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 32006/08/2013

please don't let Cisely Tyson win....I mean yawn...

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 32106/08/2013

Nathan Lane still has a chance at best actor. I think if he had trashed NY audiences in favor of our Chicago friends before the final Tony votes were in, he might have suffered defeat. No fool he.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 32206/08/2013

Oh, dear. I just got a postcard for FIRST DATE. They should re-title it FIRST FLOP.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 32306/09/2013

but Jesus loves me r323!

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 32406/09/2013

MOTOWN was actually quite fabulous, I can understand why it is doing huge business. I want to lick every inch of the guy playing Smokey Robinson.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 32506/09/2013

just because it never gets old

Zachary Levi quote

"My job on my set, I believe, is to first just love people and gain that trust with people where they know that I really do love them and care about their well-being, so that when they are running into problems, they will hopefully, at some point, come to me and ask me, 'What is your peace all about? What is your comfort all about? Where do you get your love? Where do you get your talents?' And I can turn to them and say without blinking, 'Jesus Christ.'"[21]

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 32606/09/2013

I'd ask him where he gets his blowjobs.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 32706/09/2013

Saw Andrea Marcovicci in a staged reading/revival of Coco at St. Peter's in NYC a few years ago. I liked the show more than I thought I would though the second act is a bit draggy. Andrea was marvelous. Not sure who could pull it off today.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 32806/09/2013

[quote]Nathan Lane still has a chance at best actor. I think if he had trashed NY audiences in favor of our Chicago friends before the final Tony votes were in, he might have suffered defeat. No fool he.

Tony voting went up to Friday night. Not that it matters but tat article wasposted before Friday.

[quote]MOTOWN was actually quite fabulous, I can understand why it is doing huge business. I want to lick every inch of the guy playing Smokey Robinson.

Everytime someone praises a Jukebox musical, a Theater Queen's head explodes.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 32906/09/2013

R328, that COCO staged reading with Marcovicci - just drive home the fact that the score is shit. Yeah, a couple of pretty melodies in Let's Go Home and Gabrielle (Brand New Dress has an okay melody wedded to an idiotic lyric). Whatever possessed Previn and Lerner to give Coco Chanel, of all people, a hoe- down number?

It's a stinker. Even when sung by Danielle Darrieux, who could really sing, the score stank.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 33006/09/2013

Let's discuss 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue! Any chance of a revised version getting staged?

Patricia Routledge has been touring the UK for about 6 months now being interviewed by a critic about her career, focusing primarily on her work in musical theatre. They play extracts and then she talks about the experience.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 33106/09/2013

5- 6- 7- 8!

Happy Tony Day Gang!

xox

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 33206/09/2013

Mufti did Coco, too, also with Marcovicci. Her shaky voice didn't do justice to the score either. But even with the world's greatest singer in the lead, the show is still mediocre.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 33306/09/2013

[quote]but Jesus loves me [R323]!

And we saw how well that worked out for me.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 33406/09/2013

As long as NY theatre companies continue producing their friends plays, theater will continue to be a huge pile of dung. Friends don't write good plays all the time. Loyalty to them is driving culture into the ground and audiences to cable TV. i.e. PH's Far From Heaven (a bore), Vineyard's Somewhere Fun (a disaster of monumental proportions and that horrible NOW.HEAR .THIS. trio of hacks), and MTC and their collection of talentless playwrights (whose names escape me for good reason).

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 33506/09/2013

[quote]Patricia Routledge has been touring the UK for about 6 months now being interviewed by a critic about her career, focusing primarily on her work in musical theatre. They play extracts and then she talks about the experience.

And people pay for this?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 33606/09/2013

R335. Now. Hear. This. TRIO of hacks? Can you not count, or do you consider one of those losers a cut above? At least no one is shrieking for a revival of any of their living room pieces.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 33706/09/2013

Who here cares about the Tony Awards? Raise your hands.

I said who here cares a bout.... oh, never mind.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 33806/09/2013

r335 don't forget the Atlantic Theater Company and their affection for an Ethan Coen lousy play EVERY OTHER YEAR!

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 33906/09/2013

Ronstadt gave a "thrilling" performance in Pirates (R292)? Is this a parody posting?

She was game and sounded fine- especially when she belted the shit out of a soprano role(!) but she barely acted and tapped her foot during any uptempo song like it was a rock concert. I love Chita, but "Bring Back Birdie"? Bacall was a slam dunk in "81.

If you want to make a case against Bacall, mention my non-nomination for 42nd Street or how lovely Meg Bussert was in a great revival of Brigadoon, but Ronstadt?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 34006/09/2013

Andrea Marcovicci deservedly has zero career. She couldn't be more talent free. She's fucking horrible.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 34106/09/2013

R335, don't forget about me!

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 34206/09/2013

DL had a link last year for a livecast of the Tonys. Can someone help this year?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 34306/09/2013

I saw Marcovicci in the pre Broadway run of Nefertiti in Chicago. She was ok, the score has some nice tunes, Michael Nouri was gorgeous and there were quite a number of unintentional laughs cause it was so bad. One I remember, was Jane White, playing the Queen Mother, appeared in the second act in the same dress she wore in the first-after cities have been built, wars won and generations have passed. They really had no money for another costume for her? The closing number had a Carrie-like huge staircase with lighting that was quite breathtaking. Flop.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 34406/09/2013

And a revival of Coco with Marcovici would put how many asses in seats? Now there's a role for the Divine Miss M! Not.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 34506/09/2013

I have Tony Fever! I'm talking two aspirin and going back to bed. Wake me on Monday.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 34606/09/2013

Thank you r342 how could I forget the crap from Adam Rapp. I forget what theater company he is the favorite son (because I probably abandoned it years ago).

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 34706/09/2013

[quote] And people pay for this?

Yes, though in the hope of hearing her talk about Keeping Up Appearances rather than Darling of the Day I imagine

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 34806/09/2013

I always confuse Nefertiti with Her First Roman.

I guess Aida was the first sucessful Broadway musical about an Egyptian queen.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 34906/09/2013

WHO THE DEVIL CAY-UHS

WHAT A WOMAN WEA-UHS!

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 35006/09/2013

LOL R350

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 35106/09/2013

Metcalf and Letts deserve wins. Go Cyndi and Billy Porter. Osnes deserves it more than Patina - this is a perfect role for Laura.

Go Kinky (but Matilda can win without fault). Go Pippin and go Anya, Anna, Hilde and Boris (or whatever the fuck it's called).

Costumes are a lock for Cinderella, Andrea Martin is a lock.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 35206/09/2013

Keeping fingers crossed for Laura Osnes to win.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 35306/09/2013

Both the Bernstein and Lerner estates have strict prohibitions on any productions of 1600 PENN AVE.

There is a sanctioned "revisal" called WHITE HOUSE CANTATA (this was also recorded) that can be done by choral groups, but there will never be another theatrical staging of the original material.

Both authors hated the final product and each other so much that they both wanted to just make it go away forever.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 35406/09/2013

OMG. Only an hour till the Red Carpet begins in front of the Music Hall. All the NY1 ladies are wildly getting gussied up: Donna, Roma, Frank to meet their public. It is the hottest night of the year. Enjoy!

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 35506/09/2013

Are they doing a webcast of the awards handed out pre -show like in the past? I checked the Tony site and all it mentioned was the red carpet show and Christine Pedi broadcast from Times Square during the ceremony.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 35606/09/2013

So which do you bitches enjoy more? Oscar night or Tony night?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 35706/09/2013

Someone call security! Wanda's escaped from her padded cell!

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 35806/09/2013

[quote]Andrea Marcovicci deservedly has zero career. She couldn't be more talent free

Bullshit. She is and always has been a wonderful actress. When she first started doing cabaret gigs, the voice was interesting - hearing a "guitar" voice singing all these musical theatre songs.

Now, of course, it's like listening to Florence Foster Jenkins, but her acting is still wonderful, and she looks great for her advanced age. She just needs someone to do an intervention and get her back to acting.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 35906/09/2013

Does anyone know of a link to a live stream?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 36006/09/2013

Marcovicci is tone deaf.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 36106/09/2013

A TONY win that got it right.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 36206/09/2013

Time for the red carpet!!!!

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 36306/09/2013

Last year, "Porgy and Bess" was the last show anyone expected to win Best Revival.

Is there any chance that one of this year's shoo-ins will lose out to a surprise winner tonight?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 36406/09/2013

How do we watch the red carpet if we're not in the NY area.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 36506/09/2013

I thought Patrick Pacheco was going to shove the mike in Rob McClure's mouth he was holding it so close to his face! McClure's wife is a cutie btw.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 36606/09/2013

Ahhh yes, the red carpet. Just exactly who are all those smirking self-important gnats buzzing about in the background with clipboards pretending that they don't know they are on camera every year?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 36706/09/2013

The Red Carpet Show NOW! NY1.com

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 36806/09/2013

Debra Messing in the house!

make that IN THE STREETS!

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 36906/09/2013

"Mufti did Coco, too, also with Marcovicci."

Wasn't that the same production the others are discussing -- the one at "St. Peter's," as they put it?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 37006/09/2013

tony thread!

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 37106/09/2013

[quote]How do we watch the red carpet if we're not in the NY area.

NY1.com

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 37206/09/2013

THIS is the Tony thread!

And Rob McClure does not ping. Santino Fontana, on the other hand ...

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 37306/09/2013

R372- Go to www.ny1.com There is a link to watch streaming broadcast. Look for the TONY headline

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 37406/09/2013

What are the Tonys? Slang for Italians?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 37506/09/2013

And the winner is ------ the GAME OF THRONES season finale!

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 37606/09/2013

Someone started a separate Tony Award thread.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 37706/09/2013

Love looking at the NY1 kids in all their TONY finery!

Donna looks good but a little taut. Did she have a facelift on her lunch hour?

Do Bway nominees not have stylists? I love Carolee C, but that hair! Oh, the humanity! And Rebecca Luker should rethink showing those beefy upper arms.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 37806/09/2013

Frank De Lillo so butch

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 37906/09/2013

Can you watch the Tonys live from other time zones? Where?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 38006/09/2013

Richard Kind seemed a little - touchy - in his interview. Vicky Clark looked good.

Who is the cute young queen doing the interviewing?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 38106/09/2013

Broadway World.com is having a contest, first prize a trip to Russia. Yikes.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 38206/09/2013

Who is Jake dating these days?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 38306/09/2013

Does anyone know what time ANN is announcing that it is closing?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 38406/10/2013

The Best and Worst of the Tony Awards

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 38506/10/2013

anyh news on the party?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 38606/10/2013

Which party? Ann's one dish pasta affair or the Tony after party?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 38706/10/2013

The Tony after party was a mixed bag. One of the first to arrive was Hanks and his wife, Tom heading straight to the Men's Room, then pigging out at the self serve yogurt machine. Matthew Morrison arrived with several guys, and ate like a fucking pig. For about an hour straight. Bill Magnusson would only talk to women in the room, nodding and walking quickly away from the men, but couldn't stop smiling. Judith Light was a complete doll, posing for pics with anyone who asked. Sienna Miller looked gorgeous, her bf Tom Sturridge looked like A juggler at Medieval Times. Richard Kind was a bitch, Tracey Letts kept working the room, clutching his award and his fiancee, Carrie Coons, simultaneously. Jesse Tyler Ferguson has a gorgeous boyfriend and was friendly to everyone. Larry Kramer positioned himself at the entrance, at a table by himself, and it was like a receiving line at the palace. Kristine Nielsen even came by and genuflected. As did Letts and many others, including one fucking idiot in a tartan cumberbund, who wouldn't shut the fuck up. Cicely Tyson made a late entrance, refused to talk to anyone, just headed to her table and ate like she'd been starving herself all weekend. Tony Shalhoub was moving through the room very slowly, and someone came up to him to inquire about his recent health scare. Shalhoub just smiled, but didn't look good. Courtney Vance kept moving from room to room, clutching his Tony for dear life, as if a mistake had been made. How the fuck did he win for THAT role in THAT play? He certainly didn't do anything on the stage of the Broadhurst to deserve it, and that probably explained the look on his face. No one even recognized him, and Angela Bassett was nowhere to be seen. Jake G never showed, so he and Chris probably headed back to the Mercer to fuck.

The food on the main floors was hideous, which is probably why the lights were kept so low. The basement, where all the sliders and the yogurt and the cream fruit tarts were displayed, was like an oven, so whoever ate that shit is probably sick as hell today. Like the last two times, the Plaza is a miserably run place and needs to be retired as a party room. and it looked even cheaper than last year, if that was possible. Just plain tacky. There was nothing wrong with the ice rink and the accompanying rooms below 30 Rock, that's always been the best party space, anyway. Moonves, are you listening?

I've no idea what the Tonys looked like on television, but inside Radio City Music Hall, it was a technical disaster. The big screens often went dark, you never knew whether the show was on or off the air, and the crew looked like the Keystone cops. Totally befuddled.

Bring back the Beacon!!!!

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 38806/10/2013

Why is a waiter giving a crappy report about The Tony party?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 38906/10/2013

R389-Fuckwad, I was a guest. The waiters were too old to write anything that long.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 39006/10/2013

Well it was still a waste of three paragraphs.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 39106/10/2013

They had a SELF SERVE YOGURT MACHINE at a Tony awards show after party? Was the ten foot hero too expensive?

My stars.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 39206/10/2013

Jane Lynch divorcing. OK Broadway lezbos, time to trade up. Which couple will self-destruct to be Jane's next arm candy?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 39306/10/2013

A self-serve yogurt machine?

Damn, I would give my right weekly nut to have been there.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 39406/10/2013

Did they have a baked potato station and a cash bar? GOOD TIMES!

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 39506/10/2013

There were 10 self serve stations in one space. With dozens of different toppings. Watching the trophy wives try to figure out how they work was the highlight of the evening.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 39606/10/2013

No doubt Debs Messing had one all to herself.

Did she use a cup or did she just express the soft serve right into her mouth? What a cow.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 39706/10/2013

LOL R394!!!

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 39806/10/2013

Yogurt machines?

Normally they would just milk Patti Lupone and pass the glasses around to everyone.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 39906/10/2013

It figures that, with all of the divas and agents in attendance, they would have a self-serving yogurt machine.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 40006/10/2013

Thank you r 388. That was tasty dish.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 40106/10/2013

Who is this Chris Jake G. is supposedly fucking?

What is wrong with Tonyu Shalhoub's health?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 40206/10/2013

Chris is his long time boyfriend , from back when they were kids. Opening a restaurant this summer on the Cape.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 40306/10/2013

We need a last name!!!

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 40406/10/2013

You need a life.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 40506/10/2013

r405-bitchy queen who thinks they are all that because they were a "guest" at the Tony awards....yawn.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 40606/10/2013

R406-Fat tub-o-lard who can't get out of the basement to be a guest at a white sale. belch...

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 40706/10/2013

r405 writes a whole lot of nothing and then tells others to get a life....what hypocrisy.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 40806/10/2013

you started it r405/ r407 etc.

You write "inside" information and gossip and then get mad and insulting when people show an interest in what you wrote. What the hell is your problem?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 40906/10/2013

r399 thats horribly mean - and had me laughing out loud

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 41006/10/2013

I watched the opening number a few times, and boy - it does sound like NPH is saying the N-word to Mike Tyson!

It rhymes with bigger!!!

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 41106/10/2013

Who wrote the opening number and the TV number? Fucking brilliant.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 41206/10/2013

Marry me, r399!

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 41306/10/2013

Gabriel Ebert - straight or gay? What's the word at the Shubs?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 41406/11/2013

You couldn't really tell from his speech. They way he said "my parents and Scott" it seemed like could have been either a bf or a brother.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 41506/11/2013

[quote] ok, so maybe I'm just biased since I had the honor of playing with the brilliant Dorothy Loudon and then the inimitable Alice Ghostley...but what were they thinking casting her as Miss Hannigan????

Shelley Bruce, "Kate" in the original production of ANNIE and later a replacement "Annie", did not enjoy the performance from ANNIE at the Tonys this year. She took to her Facebook page to talk about this. She praises Dorothy Loudon and Alice Ghostley. I've heard nothing but praise for Loudon. The same cannot be said for Ghostley. Anyway, its shaping up to be a very sad argument for these has-beens. The Pepper from the movie is also commenting on her post.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 41606/11/2013

Damn, r416, I love how the comments on Shelley's post devolve into a total flame war! There seem to be some real freaks on there. And who's the guy bitching about how Dorothy Loudon hated him? Considering how annoying he comes off just from his comments, I can't say I blame Dorothy!

All that comment thread needs is for Wanda Richert to wander in and bring her own special brand of late '70s/early '80s Broadway has-been craziness into the mix!

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 41706/11/2013

Was Chris the very hot guy sitting next to Jake the ONE TIME he was shown in the audience?

YOWZA!

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 41806/11/2013

That's REVEREND Wanda Richert to you, r417!

Ps: Did I mention that my daughter is a druggie and Obama is trying to suppress my freedom of speech? Praise Goddess!

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 41906/11/2013

Shelley Bruce's facebook cover pic spelling out LOVE with grenades and guns is maybe the creepiest thing I've ever seen.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 42006/11/2013

Kudos for the Vanya/Sonia team for casting Julie White as a replacement for Sigourney. I think the play may actually be better as a result.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 42106/11/2013

Julie White desperate for two months work? Obviously they have plans to open end, especially with the Best Play Tony.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 42206/11/2013

Can Sigourney sing? Gypsy revival!

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 42306/11/2013

Julie should be a huge improvement. Sigourney was the weak link in the production.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 42406/11/2013

Thanks for writing about the tacky afterparty, sliders & yogurt? Always thought the Plaza would be more elegant.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 42506/11/2013

I think Sigourney can sing. Wasn't she supposed to be in the Roundabout Follies, before Jean Smart passed and Blythe Danner accepted?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 42606/11/2013

Jean Smart, Sigourney Weaver, and Kim Cattrall have all turned down Phyllis in Follies? WTF?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 42706/11/2013

"That's REVEREND Wanda Richert to you, [R417]!

Ps: Did I mention that my daughter is a druggie and Obama is trying to suppress my freedom of speech? Praise Goddess!"

Rev. Wanda, did you ever track down your druggie daughter after that time you were posting on your page asking your Facebook friends to call her (I can't remember why - your phone was dead or something)?

Also - what is your opinion on the IRS scandal?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 42806/11/2013

Can Sigourney sing? MAME!

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 42906/11/2013

[quote] sliders & yogurt

"Sliders"!!!! How...2011!!! I can't believe they didn't have a big cupcake display as well.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 43006/11/2013

Wasn't Weaver supposed to play Gypsy Rose Lee in a non-musical biopic?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 43106/11/2013

Why does everyone love Jerry Mitchell? I don't get it. He always resorts to some gimmick instead of just creating a well-choreographed show. The bird cage in La Cage, the jump ropes in Legally Blonde, now the conveyor belt in Kinky Boots. Not to mention how every number seems to resort to trashy stripper moves.

He's capable of doing good work like he did earlier in his career, but it's like Julie Taymor- he needs someone to reign him in instead of all his clinger-ons letting him run wild.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 43206/11/2013

R428, praise Godde and bless your for asking.

My daughter is a WHORE and her boyfriend is a cockgobbling PIMP.

Candace, call me! Pick up the phone and just call me! I am your mother.

The IRS scandal has happened because Obama has stolen our guns and we cannot protect ourselves, which has also allowed Equity-League to RAPE ME and deny me what's mine! DO NOT JUDGE ME!

PS: can anyone buy me a new computer?

The beauty of inner light will serve as a beacon against the dark night of my Obama-trampled soul.

Hallelujah!

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 43306/11/2013

[quote]Why does everyone love Jerry Mitchell? I don't get it. He always resorts to some gimmick instead of just creating a well-choreographed show.

I don't see the problem.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 43406/11/2013

Jerry Mitchell is a tall hot Jewish daddy.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 43506/11/2013

Thank you for the information, Rev. Wanda!

I hope you become a regular visitor to the Theatre Gossip threads. After all, your Peggy Sawyer successor KZ regularly favors us with her sunny B*R*O*A*D*W*A*Y optimism - it would be great to have it contrasted with the original Peggy's special brand of B*R*O*A*D*W*A*Y insanity!

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 43606/11/2013

Andrew Keenan-Bolger seems to be packing a fairly substantial bulge for a pocket-gay.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 43706/11/2013

Where was hubs? Working on VENICE?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 43806/11/2013

I think it's amusing that Shelley Bruce (whoever that is) and her friends think that the producers of this Annie would want (or even remember) Andrea McArdle.

A friend of mine just saw her in Mame and said it was atrocious and that at one point Andrea straightened Lea Delaria's wig mid-song.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 43906/11/2013

R439, what are you talking about? Wasn't Shelley Bruce one of the original ANNIE replacements?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 44006/11/2013

[quote]A friend of mine just saw her in Mame and said it was atrocious and that at one point Andrea straightened Lea Delaria's wig mid-song.

Atrocious? Is your friend a drunk? She got great reviews.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 44106/11/2013

That Nick Cearly of The Skivvies seems kinda pervy.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 44306/11/2013

yes, R440 Shelley Bruce was the first replacement. She later got cancer and wrote a book about her experiences in ANNIE and her cancer.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 44406/11/2013

Larry Kramer was upset about the way he was treated on the Tonys? Maybe it was that get up he was wearing. It made Whoopi Goldberg's wardrobe look like haute couture. Put on a jacket and tie and maybe you'd get more respect-you old grump. Speaking of wardrobe- Bloomberg looked like a midget clown with that oversized bowtie.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 44506/11/2013

[quote]A friend of mine just saw her in Mame and said it was atrocious and that at one point Andrea straightened Lea Delaria's wig mid-song.

Hmm... as she said, "I my hair was natural like yours, I'd be bald."?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 44606/11/2013

Why is Rory wearing a moo moo?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 44706/11/2013

Sadly R445, the bowtie was standard size...he needs the kiddie version. Although, he did look like a munchkin next to the statuesque Sigourney Weaver.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 44806/11/2013

Why DOES Larry Kramer dress like an old lesbian poet/composter in 1973?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 44906/11/2013

The problem with those original Annie women is that they all still look like orphans.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 45006/11/2013

Sigourney was offered Phyllis in the Roundabout Follies but smartly passed.

She does sing. She was nominated for a Drama Desk award for Best Actress in a musical for a review she did with Durang back in 1979.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 45106/11/2013

I saw that revue, (R451).

I was in college and thought she and Durang were the smartest most sophisticated thing I'd ever seen. "Das Lisitania Songspiel" (?) or something. I like Weill and Brecht so I got the references and laughed my ass off. I belonged in NYC with these clever, clever people!

I'd love to see it right now and see if it was good or I was just young.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 45206/11/2013

Sigourney sang a few songs with Durang on SNL a looooong time ago. Not what you could call a voice. A semi-pitched bray, and very little real musicality.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 45306/11/2013

[quote] Not what you could call a voice. A semi-pitched bray, and very little real musicality.

Quiet or you'll wake The Stritch.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 45406/11/2013

[quote]Not what you could call a voice. A semi-pitched bray, and very little real musicality.

Are you sure that was Sigourney, r453? Sounds more like Madonna.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 45506/11/2013

SCUBA-DUBA!

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 45606/11/2013

I'd heard that number in A Christmas Story was a showstopper, but I don't think it served Caroline O'Connor very well.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 45706/11/2013

[quote]The problem with those original Annie women is that they all still look like orphans

And some one of us looks likes she got the trots!

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 45806/11/2013

R445 He can't wear anything that fits around his waist. Side effect of a liver transplant, I believe. He has to wear overalls all the time.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 45906/11/2013

[quote]I'd heard that number in A Christmas Story was a showstopper, but I don't think it served Caroline O'Connor very well.

It WAS a showstopper and she recieved a great reaction at curtain call.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 46006/11/2013

(R460) Even thought only a few people had any idea who she was!

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 46106/11/2013

Boy, Paulo Szot got heavy

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 46206/11/2013

Was the Tony show a success this year because Rob Ashford wasn't involved?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 46306/11/2013

Was Caroline not eligible? I thought for sure that she would be a shoo-in for a nomination in Featured.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 46506/11/2013

I thought the Tonys were pretty good award wise. My choice would have been Richard Kind instead of Courtney B. Vance. I would have liked to see Nathan Lane win but can't quibble with Letts getting the award. I was glad Hanks did not win. I like Hanks but he was not the best actor and Lucky Guy is mediocre at best. The production of the telecast was good most of the time, I could have done without seeing Sandy and NPH sucking face. Kind of gross...Loved seeing Sally Field and Matthew Broderick presenting together even though the meaning of it was negated by Letts winning. A bit too much children on stage for my liking but I did enjoy A Christmas Story when I saw it last winter. Hopefully next year will bring a better crop of shows.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 46606/11/2013

oh, btw, Far from Heaven is pretty awful as well. I can't believe how bored I was with it.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 46706/11/2013

really r462? any pics? where has he been these days?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 46806/11/2013

R466/467 - Get thee to a blog!

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 46906/11/2013

Rory O'Malley had a liver transplant?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 47006/11/2013

Larry Kramer did.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 47106/11/2013

Where did r470 get that from?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 47206/12/2013

It should be noted that the A Christmas Story number was cut down for the broadcast. There is a time in which Caroline O'Conner and Luke Spring stand on separate tables in a tap off and it was freaking exhilarating for everyone in the theater. His tapping on the Tonys was much less than what he did in the show.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 47306/12/2013

Someone in the Tonys thread mentioned catching sight of Charlie Williams dancing in the opening number of the Tonys telecast. Given his obvious connections in the business, why is this guy still in the chorus? Shouldn't he have nailed down a starring role by now? If it's true he's Rob Ashford's boy toy, you'd think more substantial opportunities would've come his way by now.

Not really being bitchy here (never met him but he seems like a nice guy), just asking.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 47406/12/2013

Interesting, R473. Time constraints being what they were, you'd think they would've done anything possible to squeeze that moment into the telecast.

That said, I'd very much like to see it when it returns this winter.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 47506/12/2013

Sleeping your way to the top is a lot tougher than it used to be.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 47606/12/2013

What happened? Why did Rory get a liver transplant?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 47706/12/2013

Maybe he got a new lover. (and liver is a typo)

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 47806/12/2013

I'm in love with Wes Taylor.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 47906/12/2013

Grab me my smelling salts, Andrew Keenan Bolger is wearing his underwear AND singing!

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 48006/12/2013

Alice Ghostly and Shelley Bruce started at the same time in August back in 1977. Ghostly was pretty amazing in the role. Shelley was ok. Not Andrea.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 48106/12/2013

AKB is a teeny gnome like creature.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 48206/12/2013

Does she really thing crowds would be lining up for Andrea as Miss Hannigan?

(Andrea is rather butch nowadays)

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 48306/12/2013

"I bet Andrea will get a call to come and do it........."

"Oh, I don't think she was throwing one iota of sour grapes. I was a child performer myself, and those girls sucked the meat."

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 48406/12/2013

That picture should be subtitled "Power Bottoms with Power Bulges."

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 48506/12/2013

Paulo Szot on Monday night

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 48606/12/2013

Sigourney Sings!

(from the soundtrack of the movie "Heartbreakers"):

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 48706/12/2013

R439, that sounds pretty funny about Andrea straightening Lea's wig!

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 48806/12/2013

I want to orally worship AKB and Wes Tay Tay's penises.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 48906/12/2013

[quote] "Oh, I don't think she was throwing one iota of sour grapes. I was a child performer myself, and those girls sucked the meat." ]

Sucked the meat?!?!?!? Ew. Gross. I was the original OP of the Shelley Bruce thing and I missed that.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 49006/12/2013

[quote] It should be noted that the A Christmas Story number was cut down for the broadcast. There is a time in which Caroline O'Conner and Luke Spring stand on separate tables in a tap off and it was freaking exhilarating for everyone in the theater. His tapping on the Tonys was much less than what he did in the show.

Thanks for the info - that explains the slightly underwhelming nature of it for me.

I wonder if Prince of Broadway could get O'Connor a Tony. I presume she'd get some of Mrs Lovett's material - as long as that bitch Linda Lavin doesn't insist on the material for herself.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 49106/12/2013

Who is that hot Ciaran Sheehan creature? [pic 28]

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 49206/12/2013

If only there were some kind of way for you to search and find out, r492, the world would be yours.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 49306/12/2013

AKB is hot. Welsey Taylor is cute.

Get it right.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 49406/12/2013

r493

Are you new here? People ask questions on DL all the time, and by doing so can get more interesting/juicy stuff than you're going to find on a promotional website

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 49506/12/2013

How do Fran and Barry arrive at $157.50 which is now top price for tix for Pippin? Is it a phychological thing like- "Hey hon- what a bargain-it's cheaper than Book Of Mormon". We can take our family of 4 for under $800! And with dinner, parking, etc. it is less than $1,000. Let's go.

Don't the producers have faith that Matilda can even run 6 months in LA or Chicago? They are "debating" on whether to mount a touring company because touring with all those children presents problems....oh please. Think Billy Elliot in the flyovers.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 49606/12/2013

Who wants to see ME get naked?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 49706/12/2013

AKB belongs in the Jonathan Groff category of vocalists.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 49806/12/2013

Was anyone at "Pirates of Penzance" at Shakespeare in the Park last night?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 49906/12/2013

Still wanna know why RORy had a liver transplant.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 50006/12/2013

Who?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 50106/12/2013

"Ruthie Henshall, still bitter about Christine Ebersole's greed"

Can you explain this, r491? The only connection between them that I know of is ZIEGFELD FOLLIES OF 1936 at Encores - did Ebersole demand to be given some of Henshall's material?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 50206/12/2013

Send Fran and Barry a message- DON'T GO.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 50306/12/2013

So is Matt Cavenaugh's Broadway career over? He gave me such a boner when he was in GREY GARDENS. We spoke a bit after the show and FUCK ME he was hot.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 50406/12/2013

Andrea was pretty butch in ANNIE.

It worked for Annie to be a tomboy.

The subsequent Annie(s) cast were more and more squeaky and "cute". Came off more spunky than tough, like McArdle. SLP looked anorexic even as a kid. AM looked like she played softball.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 50506/12/2013

So true, R505. i think they tried to make the new Annie tougher but they saddled her with that unfortunate accent.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 50606/12/2013

Rory morphed into Larry Kramer then had a liver transplant. After that, he returned to being Rory. Hope that explains everything.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 50706/12/2013

Who the fuck is Rory?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 50806/12/2013

I didn't know that Andrea is a lesbian.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 50906/12/2013

She's not, she's just quite butch.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 51006/12/2013

Rory O Malley from The Book Mormon. Someone reported upthread that He got a liver transplant, and no one knows why.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 51106/12/2013

R445 reported that Larry Kramer couldn't wear anything around his waist because he had had a liver transplant. Someone who read a previous question about Rory's wearing a " moo moo" at Skivvies presumed that the response was in regard to Rory.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 51206/12/2013

Poor him. Now I'm sad.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 51306/12/2013

Melissa Errico Comments on Being "Fired" From Classic Stage Company's Passion in Personal Blog

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 51406/12/2013

Seriously? Arguing over ANNIE from 1977. Sigh....

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 51506/12/2013

In thirty years I wonder if we'll be arguing over replacements in Newsies...

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 51606/12/2013

R515

505 here Well ANNIE is back and based on viewing a bootleg and the Tony performances it wont be back for long.Lynch looked like she wandered in from community theater.

The original looked like a cartoon but still packed powerful punch. Watching the Tonys, an elder gay friend said he walked out of the original just feeling happy. It was a very dark time un the US. I think I'd walk out of the revival angry.It loses something when done realistically. As with many revivals of the past decade the creative forces behind shows obviously have lost something...

And never seem to trust the source material

And all the replacement Hannigans were at least larger than life personalities and stunt casting back in the day and not one trick ponies or failed stunt casting

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 51706/12/2013

Who the fuck taught Mellissa Errico how to write? What a bag of babbling nonsense. Too many music lessons and not enough English classes it would appear. That diatribe is totally incomprehensible.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 51806/12/2013

Did you see the actual blog itself, r518? She posts shots of her actual contact for the show--UNSIGNED. And then says something about not understanding it or any of some other documents. How can this person continue to have a viable career? Is she functionally retarded?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 51906/12/2013

Doesn't RJA do all her transactions?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 52006/12/2013

They concluded a transaction on her behalf that involved an unsigned contract? I ask again: is she functionally retarded?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 52106/12/2013

She doesn't have to work because of McEnroe money.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 52206/12/2013

[quote]Well ANNIE is back and based on viewing a bootleg and the Tony performances it wont be back for long.Lynch looked like she wandered in from community theater.

Well, well, well, smell you, the expert basing his vaulted opinion on a bootleg probably shot with a cell phone and a two minute snippet on an award telecast to predict the future. We call shall call you The Bumfuke Medium, although you sound more like a XXX Large.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 52306/12/2013

[quote] the expert basing his vaulted opinion on a bootleg probably shot with a cell phone

Have you ever seen a bootleg? I don't get the thinking behind anyone wanting to risk getting caught, but some of those things are crystal clear with good camerawork.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 52406/12/2013

"Does she really think crowds would be lining up for Andrea as Miss Hannigan?"

I realize you were referring to Andrea McArdle, but come to think of it, wouldn't Andrea Martin be amazing as Miss Hannigan? Too bad it will never happen, since the current Broadway revival has again ruined the show for another generation.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 52506/12/2013

If they take it to London, I hope Caroline O'Connor gets to do Hannigan.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 52606/12/2013

Does anyone really think what Lynch did on the Tonys was good?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 52706/12/2013

What's this Broadway 4D movie thing which is casting now? Bryan Singer is one of the producers (he'll be having fun casting the underage chorus boys, I guess). Gary Goddard is directing and Sergio Trujillo and Rob Ashford are choreographing. One of the numbers in it will be "Brotherhood of Man." Will Patti finally be recreating "Don't Cry for Me, Argentina" for the silver screen?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 52806/12/2013

They are finally renovating The Times Square Theater, the only one left on 42nd St untouched and they are putting on live/3D film tribute to Broadway.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 52906/12/2013

M Errico's update:

" i feel like I'm in a Victorian story... unveiling stories, sorting through life."

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 53006/12/2013

Yes, R527, I did. I thought she was fun. That's not a typo of fine. She was fine, to, and fun. Hannigan is a role that usually kills, no matter who plays it. I thought Lynch was very sassy. In the comic strip wasn't Annie street-smart and a bit rough? Up-thread someone mentions the original Annie was pretty butch. Yeah, you can see it in the videos ... the following girls were more show kids who could do the job. I think McArdle would soar as Hannigan .... maybe in eight-plus years in another revival.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 53106/12/2013

the ANNIE man here again. I actually saw AM as Hannigan in NC.

Great voice but can't act.Jokes fell flat. Very hard, very cold.Much too thin.As a kid her voice had a more interesting timber and colors with an interesting vulnerability along the break she's lost.Now It's just belt or grow.Truly a "singing dog" in the Merman sense tho Merman was funny and better actress than she was given credit.

I thought she did this how long with Loudon and this was all she picked up and came up with?

Duet with kid playing Annie on "Tomorrow" curtain call. It was on youtube. Found "Little Girls"

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 53206/12/2013

[quote] What's this Broadway 4D movie thing which is casting now? Bryan Singer is one of the producers (he'll be having fun casting the underage chorus boys, I guess). Gary Goddard is directing and Sergio Trujillo and Rob Ashford are choreographing. One of the numbers in it will be "Brotherhood of Man." Will Patti finally be recreating "Don't Cry for Me, Argentina" for the silver screen?

[bold] Vacant Times Square Theatre to Become 'Broadway 4D' Attraction [/bold]

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 53306/12/2013

[bold] The long-dark Times Square Theater is - finally! - getting a multimillion-dollar makeover [/bold]

Naughty, bawdy 42nd Street is in for a touch of classy.

After standing vacant for 20-odd years, the historic Times Square Theatre at 217 W. 42nd St. will soon become Broadway 4D — a permanent musical attraction managed by a trio of accomplished entertainment executives, The Post has learned.

Climaxing a long effort to find the right user for the 1920s-vintage colonnaded venue, landlord New 42nd Street has signed a long-term lease with Broadway 4D Theatres. What the company calls Broadway Sensation — a 4D Musical Spectacular is expected to launch by late spring or early summer 2013.

No one would discuss terms, but a source estimated the project’s launch cost at around $60 million.

New 42nd Street President Cora Cahan hailed “a very exciting tenant dedicated to restoring the Times Square Theatre as a place to celebrate Broadway musicals of the past, present and future.”

Cushman & Wakefield’s Brad Mendelson and Alan Schmerzler brokered the lease for New 42nd Street. Mendelson — who’s been involved at the location since the days when Warner LeRoy proposed a Venetian-canals fantasy restaurant — said the venue had been in great demand “by four other major entertainment uses, and also by brokers for Duane Reade and TGI Friday’s.”

New 42nd Street previously adapted seven of the once crime-ridden block’s eight neglected theaters between Seventh and Eighth avenues to new uses.

Only the Times Square, opened as a stage venue and later converted to a cinema, stubbornly remained a 100-foot-long dark hole on the gaily-lit “Deuce.”

Broadway 4D is the brainchild of Beverly Hills entertainment lawyer Robert Kory, who also manages singer-songwriter Leonard Cohen. (A huge ad for Cohen’s latest album currently adorns the theater façade.)

When sportswear designer Marc Ecko defaulted on a lease at the site a few years ago, Kory assembled a team of investors and a trio of high-profile impresarios.

Broadway 4D is described as “a 3D film enhanced show incorporating in-theater special effects” — such as the use of scents, climatic changes and extravagant sound. Songs from Broadway musicals by the likes of Rodgers and Hammerstein and Andrew Lloyd Weber will be performed by stars of Hollywood and the Great White Way.

“Creative principal” Gary Goddard has done everything from producing Broadway’s 2009 Tony-winning revival of “Hair” to pioneering “4D” technology at venues such as the “Terminator 2” and “Spider-Man” rides at a Florida theme park.

The executive producers are Bryan Singer, who’s produced , directed and/or written big-budget movies including “The Usual Suspects” and “Superman Returns,” and former CBS and Sony honcho Jeff Sagansky, who’s backed films including “The Adventures of Tintin.”

Architects John Sergio Fisher and Associates have come up with a “schematic” redesign of the theater based on the original. The next step is up to the Historic Preservation Committee.

Among other guidelines, the Times Square must retain its domed ceiling and the stage proscenium arch.

Producer and theater owner Jimmy Nederlander, who’s not involved at the site, termed it “a great project that will only expand the audience for Broadway.”

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 53406/12/2013

Why do you post articles that are well over a year old as if this is breaking news, r534?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 53506/12/2013

[quote]Why do you post articles that are well over a year old as if this is breaking news

Because R528 just askled about it? Pay attention.

[quote]I thought she did this how long with Loudon and this was all she picked up and came up with?

Perhaps she did it as she thought Loudon would do it today, as once again, Dorothy Loudon is dead.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 53606/12/2013

In response to R528 and R529, I assume, R535.

What a weird thing, using a technology that simulates live action to celebrate live entertainment.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 53706/12/2013

Richard Jay-Alexander just said that Barbra Streisand got 21 STANDING OVATIONS tonight at her concert in Cologne, Germany!!! That has to be a record for most standing ovations in one night.

That's more standing ovations than Patti LuPone, Betty Buckley and Bernadette Peters have gotten in their ENTIRE careers.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 53806/12/2013

yeah but was he sober ?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 53906/12/2013

What do you expect? She sang Deutschland uber alles between every song.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 54006/12/2013

The Germans were just over compensating to make up for that whole holocaust/killing the jews thingy.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 54106/12/2013

Are there any decent arts blogs? Specifically theater and/or dance?

Thanks!

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 54206/12/2013

Thanks, R534.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 54306/12/2013

So where is Steve Kazee?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 54406/12/2013

As much as I question his critical acumen and taste in musicals, I enjoy Terry Teachout's comprehensive arts blog: www.terryteachout.com

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 54506/13/2013

Any word about the cast of the Woody Allen/Susan Stroman Bullets Over Broadway?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 54606/13/2013

Last I'd heard, Brooks Ashmanskas was playing the Jim Broadbent part.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 54706/13/2013

Thanks R545

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 54806/13/2013

Ladies and gentlemen, everything that's wrong with the American theatre in eleven words:

[quote]Last I'd heard, Brooks Ashmanskas was playing the Jim Broadbent part.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 54906/13/2013

I'd love to see Bobby Cannavale in the Chazz Palmantieri role.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 55006/13/2013

bumpity

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 55106/13/2013

Oh no. The Toy Committee has been smoking some bad stuff. Now they've decided it's ok to include NYC in the regional honors. Please assure me that the first group they'll honor is Roundabout for their inventive and exemplary work.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 55206/13/2013

SMASH reunion! Megan Hilty joins the cast of Sean Hayes' new NBC sitcom:

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 55306/13/2013

Liaisons revival!

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 55406/13/2013

Ah, liaisons....

LINE!

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 55506/13/2013

I was going to post my nudie pix but Chazwaza told me not to.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 55606/13/2013

Still waiting for an answer to why Rory O Malley's had a liver transplant

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 55706/13/2013

Rory had violated all of the Ten Commandments except: "Thou shalt not cover they neighbor's liver" and wanted to go all the way.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 55806/13/2013

Now that they're reduced to giving the Regional Tony to non-Equity theaters like THE LOST COLONY, they HAD to add NYC theaters to the Regional eligibility list.

First one goes to Roundabout, then MTC...

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 55906/13/2013

Liaisons revival? Not even figs. Raisins!

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 56006/13/2013

Yes to R550! I recall him considering doing a musical when he and Sutton F were an item. He's so right for that part who cares if he could sing all that well?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 56106/13/2013

The reading of Bullets had Zach Braff, Bobby Cannavale, Brooks Ashmanskas, Betsy Wolfe and Kate Jennings Grant in the Wiest role.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 56206/13/2013

No Max Von Essen news. He and AKB were featured in a small segment on the Tony red carpet show

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 56306/13/2013

Max von Essen news

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 56406/13/2013

Who played the Jennifer Tilly role, R562?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 56506/13/2013

More important, who is playing the Dianne Wiest role?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 56606/13/2013

They should cast the Dianne Wiest role with a reality show contest in which the batshit-crazy "Fuckups of Broadway" (Betty Buckley, Ellen Greene, Donna Murphy, etc.) compete for the role. They live together in a mansion and have their lives taped, and each week the viewers vote to boot the actress who showed the least amount of insanity in the past week.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 56706/13/2013

I would love to see Megan Hilty take on the Tilly role, but she's on Sean Hayes new series. Eh, maybe it won't run.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 56806/13/2013

[quote] I would love to see Megan Hilty take on the Tilly role, but she's on Sean Hayes new series. Eh, maybe it won't run

I'm assuming that the Sean Hayes series will be shooting in NYC, since most of the cast lives there. No reason Hilty can't do a Broadway show at the same time.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 56906/13/2013

the Diane Wiest role should be under 45....no menopausals please.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 57006/13/2013

So Lapine is adapting ACT One for LCT. Hmmm. So we're getting Hart's rose colored fairy tale about the good ol' days of Broadway. I guess it could be charming. Although one does not associate James Lapine with charm, does one?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 57106/13/2013

Not surprisingly the box office for KINKY BOOTS was huge on Monday, but has Matilda's box office take declined since the TONY AWARDS?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 57206/13/2013

Those of us who've seen his productions don't associate James Lapine with theatre, either, R571.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 57306/13/2013

Speaking of charm (or lack thereof), Bette's show is selling well, with or without the TONYS. Limited engagement through June. Close--but not quite close enough--to selling out.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 57406/14/2013

No, R569, it's shooting in LA, it's a multi-camera sitcom in front of a studio audience and those have rarely been done in NYC.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 57506/14/2013

R572, Matilda has a $20 million advance, Kinky has $10 million.....Kinky added a million on Monday, Matilda added $200,000 according to reports

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 57606/14/2013

Someone take pity on a poor flyover and give me some Matt Cavenaugh dirt!

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 57706/14/2013

[quote]No, [R569], it's shooting in LA, it's a multi-camera sitcom in front of a studio audience and those have rarely been done in NYC.

Plus multi-cameras have a taping night. And it's one thing to do theater while doing TV, soap actors do it, but it's in established shows. Do you how much work it takes to mount a Broadway show, between constant rehearsals, changes, then performances.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 57806/14/2013

Looking forward to a full-scale BOB production

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 57906/14/2013

How Lapine continues to get work in the theatre is baffling. He has no directorial skills, no taste, his casting choices always suck and he's thought of as a joke in the industry. Now he gets to desecrate Moss Hart? What the fuck is Lincoln Center thinking?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 58006/14/2013

I can't be at the taping tonight, Sean. I'm in tech.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 58106/14/2013

When is the CAN-CAN workshop? I wonder if MH will still be able to do that. She probably starts taping the series in July in LA.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 58206/14/2013

[quote] Plus multi-cameras have a taping night.

Which could easily be scheduled around a show's off night.

[quote] And it's one thing to do theater while doing TV, soap actors do it, but it's in established shows. Do you how much work it takes to mount a Broadway show, between constant rehearsals, changes, then performances.

Yes I do. However, scheduling is the key. TV series, whether they are episodics or sitcoms, all have "hiatus" weeks for talent. They usually shoot 3 weeks/episodes back to back then have 2 to 3 weeks off.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 58306/14/2013

[quote] She probably starts taping the series in July in LA.

Sitcom don't usually start taping until early August.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 58406/14/2013

R583 seems awfully invested in Megan Hilty being available to do a show.

Well, she's taping in LA. So forget it.

And two to three weeks off after putting two to three in the can? Uh ... no. Not at all. They'll be lucky to get a one week break after shooting the first eight.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 58506/14/2013

Yeah, I doubt she'd find doing a weekly sitcom very tiring - might as well add 8 shows a week of a musical to her schedule. I'm sure she could do that for years.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 58606/14/2013

[quote] And two to three weeks off after putting two to three in the can? Uh ... no. Not at all. They'll be lucky to get a one week break after shooting the first eight.

That's the way sitcoms have always been shot, toots. I've worked in the TV business since 1994.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 58706/14/2013

[quote]Kinky added a million on Monday, Matilda added $200,000 according to reports

Actually, the reps for MATILDA said that they made $200,000 more that day than the normal Monday wrap (whatever that is). So, it wasn't $200,000 total, it was a $200,000 bump up.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 58806/14/2013

[quote}Plus multi-cameras have a taping night.

[Quote]Which could easily be scheduled around a show's off night.

Really now? What sitcom do you kow that tapes Monday night?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 58906/14/2013

She won't have to worry abut conflicts. That show will be over quicker than you can blink.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 59006/14/2013

The TV show or the Broadway show? Seems to me it could be either one!

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 59106/14/2013

I'm still laughing at the thought of the producers "easily scheduling around her night off."

She's not the fucking star, TOOTS, Sean Hayes is. Whatever scheduling is done will be to his schedule ... Which is why it's shooting in LA. How do you get around that one?

She's not available for Bullets Over Broadway OR Can-Can (if it gets a run). Get over it.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 59206/14/2013

Cinderella---

is it funny at all on an adult level? I'm supposed to go with family but I just have no enthusiasm for it. Opinions?

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 59306/15/2013

Cinderella at least has quirky hottie Santino Fontana and a couple of cute chorus boys to look at - but really, that's about it.

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 59406/15/2013

It's SANTANA FONTANO!

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 59506/15/2013

It's SATANA KENNY BOOTS!

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 59606/15/2013

When this one fills up, three posts from now, Thread 114 will be ready, and served piping hot ....

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 59706/15/2013

BRING

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 59806/15/2013

IT

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 59906/15/2013

ON!

by And we'll talk a lot about our favorite regional Dolly...reply 60006/15/2013
Need more help? Click Here.