Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Goldderby.com asks Jessica Lange what her favorite Meryl Streep film is.....and she can't think of any!!!

Oh my! (they do all blur together)

by Greply 9707/11/2013

Look's like Jessica's plastic surgery has penetrated to the brain.

by Greply 106/02/2013

I'm not going to try to find that moment out of the 30-minute interview, but the idea of her not naming a Streep film is fantastically bitchy. I love her even more now.

by Greply 206/02/2013

I can't think of any either...

by Greply 306/02/2013

She BEAT Meryl for the role of Patsy Cline in Sweet Dreams

by Greply 406/02/2013

I think she is trying to be gracious. She was always a talented actress. Pity her film career ended and she's been reduced to horror TV a la Joan Crawford. Glad she finally left that drunken playwright but it must be tough to face your dotage alone.

by Greply 506/02/2013

She wanted to say She Devil but couldn't bring herself to being that cunty.

by Greply 606/02/2013

OP, it's 30 minutes long, you couldn't give us the time? Asshole.

by Greply 706/02/2013

Asshole? r7? really? Aren't you a hostile little bitch.

by Greply 806/02/2013

It's understandable. I'm sick and tired of hearing just how magical and wonderful Meryl Streep is, and I haven't been losing roles to her for the past thirty years.

Emma Thompson should chime in. She's not afraid of taking down sacred cows.

by Greply 906/02/2013

I would have thought "Sophie's Choice" would have instantly popped out of her mouth.

by Greply 1006/02/2013

Emma Thompson BEAT Meryl for the part of Miss Keaton in Remains of the Day.

That was one slight Meryl could never forgive, and led to a temporary falling out with Mike Nichols. Plus she fired her management team over losing that part.

by Greply 1106/02/2013

Meryl BEAT Jessica Lange for the Best Actress Oscar for Sophie's Choice. Jessica was nominated for Frances.

by Greply 1206/02/2013

Well let's be honest, Meryl is an okay actress, but her performances tend to run into each other. She just has a really good PR machine.

by Greply 1306/02/2013

[quote]I would have thought "Sophie's Choice" would have instantly popped out of her mouth.

Maybe she hates that movie along with some of the rest of us.

If somebody asked me that question, I would have a hell of a time coming up with an answer. Maybe Silkwood. That's about it.

by Greply 1506/02/2013

What was the snide comment, R14? I've never seen Meryl be anything but gracious in acceptance speeches.

by Greply 1606/02/2013

[quote]Last time Meryl was up for an Emmy, she beat Emma in the same category and made a snide comment about Emma in her acceptance speech.

oh please...she made a joke about Emma who was up for the same film (Angels in America)...it wasn't "snide"

by Greply 1706/02/2013

Here's Meryl's Emmy speech. She's obviously joking about Thompson. It's the best of the many acceptance speeches Meryl has given over the years.

by Greply 1806/02/2013

I think the bigger revelation is that Jessica Lange is being interviewed for her shitty work on television. She jacked up her face and the film offers stopped.

by Greply 1906/02/2013

Meryl never got over Emma stealing Remains of the Day from her.

by Greply 2006/02/2013

[quote]Meryl BEAT Jessica Lange for the Best Actress Oscar for Sophie's Choice. Jessica was nominated for Frances.

Jessica gave the better performance.

by Greply 2106/02/2013

[all posts by tedious troll removed.]

by Greply 2206/02/2013

towards the end

by Greply 2306/02/2013

Re Meryl, she says that she doesn't think in terms of favorite performance. She then references Kim Stanley as having the biggest influence on her. It is kind of a stretch to read this as a diss on Streep.

by Greply 2406/02/2013

Kim Stanley played her mother in Frances

by Greply 2506/02/2013

Meryl is a talented actress but I like Jessica Lange better.... She's given more memorable performances and I think she should've gotten the Oscar for Frances over Meryl in Sophie's Choice. That was a flawless performance.

by Greply 2606/02/2013

Jessica told me personally that she thinks M has ugly feet.

by Greply 2706/02/2013

Jessica Lange likes to play crazy. That is why she is perfect for television.

by Greply 2806/02/2013

Wow, take about drama queens. She wasn't dissing Streep, you overdramatic idiots.

by Greply 2906/02/2013

Kim Stanley was an acting genius. Not even Meryl Streep could touch her.

by Greply 3006/02/2013

Only an M obsessed fangurl would take that as a diss as opposed to a very politic answer to an absurd question. Why should it be that Jessica Lange would have any favorite M performance? It is only in the imaginations of fans that all stars are friends and fans of each other. Maybe she simply doesn't care for her work?

by Greply 3106/02/2013

you are the idiot r29....This is a G/M feud thread

by Greply 3206/02/2013

In all honesty, I can't remember much of Meryl Streep that I like. I bought dvd's of her work, so that I could find something. No such luck! Haven't given up hope, however.

by Greply 3306/02/2013

Or maybe she wanted the focus on her. Fascinating how a thread on Jessica Lange can only get attention by talking about Meryl Streep. I don't watch AHS because it's garbage.

by Greply 3406/02/2013

Jessica who?

by Greply 3506/02/2013

Chastain

by Greply 3606/02/2013

The Meryl comment happens somewhere between 20 - 22min in.

by Greply 3706/02/2013

Did Jessica get the Life Alert system I sent? I was so disturbed after reading how she fell off her porch after a few drinks and broke her arm. Sad to think of her lying there screaming how she has fallen and can't get up.

Life alert is wonderful. You just press a button and they come for you.

by Greply 3806/02/2013

[quote] It's the best of the many acceptance speeches Meryl has given over the years.

Shame she felt the need to kiss half a dozen people before she accepted it.

It's so annoying. Kiss them at the party afterwards, if you have to.

by Greply 3906/02/2013

>>> what her favorite Meryl Streep film is.....and she can't think of any!!!

It's @ 20:34

by Greply 4006/02/2013

R39 she snubbed Jeffery Wright.

She didn't kiss him or even mention his name during her acceptance speech.

Though she kissed and thanked everyone else.

That is cold

by Greply 4106/02/2013

"This is a G/M feud thread"

There is NO "feud", drama queen.

by Greply 4206/02/2013

Interesting that Meryl is so much more generous than other actresses. But I have a feeling that Jessica would have had the same blank reaction if asked about any other working actress.

by Greply 4306/02/2013

There is on DL, idiot r42

by Greply 4406/02/2013

[quote]but the idea of her not naming a Streep film is fantastically bitchy. I love her even more now.

Agree, I think it was a bit of a diss. Jessie just did it so well, you can't be sure.

Love her!

by Greply 4506/02/2013

I can't name one either. I like her but I don't think there is a film I can place that title to.

by Greply 4606/03/2013

Don't forget that Sam Shephard is playing Meryl's husband in August: Osage County in November. Jane Fonda was much more animated talking about her other co-stars. Lange is self-involved and vain, but this often happens to older, washed up actresses who end up in television.

by Greply 4706/03/2013

Jessica Lange also BEAT Meryl for the part in King Kong

So there are TWO movies that Jessica beat Meryl for the part

by Greply 4806/03/2013

I have a film career and a husband. I win!

by Greply 4906/03/2013

It is kind of odd that Lange is "campaigning" on a site like Goldderby. Most of the people they interview have kind of borderline chances of a nomination and are not three time winners who just won last year. Why so needy?

by Greply 5006/03/2013

She loves the applause. I watched clips of Frances yesterday and it does not hold up well. It's very campy and you can see clearly why she lost to Meryl.

by Greply 5106/03/2013

The silly old dear is forgetting Death Becomes Her, an obvious inspiration to her.

by Greply 5206/03/2013

R48, what is the other film?

by Greply 5306/03/2013

Back in 1982, Lange was sweet and attractive. Perhaps in the spirit of Method acting, she had a frontal lobotomy during the making of "Frances." It would surprise me now if Jessica Lange could remember her own name, let alone Meryl Streep's name, or the names of any of her films.

I couldn't watch this interview after a minute and a half. Lange never quit smiling or smirking, and she scared me. Truly, she has become a frightening, embalmed shell of her former self. "American Horror Story," indeed!

by Greply 5406/03/2013

Yes, Meryl can be incredibly bitchy, but it's all in good fun.

by Greply 5506/03/2013

[quote]Kim Stanley played her mother in Frances

Ah, no...wasn't that Gloria Stuart?

by Greply 5606/03/2013

Streep wanted Sweet Dreams but Lange was cast as Patsy Cline. Jessica lost to Meryl for Sophie's Choice, and then watched Streep get nominated for best actress every decade since. Jessica loves Meryl's work in Sophie's Choice, The Hours, Adaptation, The Devil Wears Prada, Silkwood, The French Lieutenant's Woman, and Kramer vs. Kramer. We tried to get into a screening of Auhust: Osage County but were turned away because we weren't on the list.

by Greply 5706/03/2013

r53 Sweet Dreams, the Patsy biopic. I read there were only a couple of roles Meryl went after but didn't get. Miss Kenton in Remains of the Day, I think maybe Blanchett's Elizabeth.

She was linked to Evita, apparently prepped for a year (but where would she find the time between back to back film projects) and said she "could rip Madonna's throat out and if it means anything I can sing better". She recently denied that and said it was an internet myth and she didn't think she could sing or "certainly not dance" better. Madonna said at the time that "she was going to be the one doing it. I'll kill Meryl Streep. Just kidding". I believe this old quote was in the NY Post or something but maybe from the gossip column? The two sat together at the GGs last year anyway. Madonna said in the early days her favourite actress was Jessica Lange.

Meryl said of Lange in Sweet Dreams that she couldn't imagine being better. I hope Streep wasn't planning on singing there, like Piaf no one can do Pats justice.

The King Kong story is hilarious and the most Meryl of all stories.

by Greply 5806/03/2013

I loved Meryl's adoring look towards Jess at last year's GGs

by Greply 5906/03/2013

Streep and Lange respect each other's work and like each other. Move along, drama queen toots, nothing to see here.

by Greply 6006/03/2013

[quote]I have a film career and a husband. I win!

You lost that competition a long time ago, M.

Mikhail Baryshnikov.

by Greply 6106/03/2013

Streep fired Sam Cohn over Remains of the Day! Mike Nichols didn't like her interpretation but forgot to tell her. CAA wooed her and stole her. Jessica made some bombs and that and plastic surgery caused her, um, absence until ryan Murphy hired her for television. I love the old pictures of Streep and Lange from the 1983 Oscars.

by Greply 6206/03/2013

What's on Jessica's arm? What's that blotch?

by Greply 6306/03/2013

Wasn't there some movie where she was a Czech lady in America in the 40s... or Hungarian... or something like that? I have trouble remembering... it's all a blur...

...Or wasn't there something called something like "A Passage to Africa"? I think I may remember that one...

by Greply 6406/03/2013

Don't you think she was stunned that the interviewer said that she was never going to win best actress against Streep? Ouch. That and the tight face of course. Nervously tugs at hair.

by Greply 6506/03/2013

Jessica Lange was never in contention for Sophie's Choice. The woman who almost got it, and them lost out at the last minute. Was a foreign actress - either German or Polish. I want to say Marthe Keller, but that's not it.

by Greply 6606/04/2013

Hanna Schygulla?

by Greply 6706/04/2013

Ugh. Meryl is SO annoying in that Emmy acceptance speech at R18. The best part is that big cunt MLP looking at Meryl and thinking, "What a cunt..."

by Greply 6806/04/2013

Plus she snubbed Jeffery Wright

by Greply 6906/04/2013

I think Jessica Lange has little interest in discussing and campaigning for awards or who's "best." She obviously has a relationship with the journalist but doesn't know the difference between Gold Derby, Twitter and a podcast. And could probably care less.

I think the question threw her because she considers Streep a contemporary and probably tends to considers the merit of films in their entirety and not just one performance. I doubt she has a favourite Meryl Streep performance because she's busy with her own life and career. She showed real class by bending the question to the actress who most inspires her and leading people back to Kim Stanley - an authentic tribute to a great actress.

And she looks gorgeous.

Compare her performance as Sister Jude to Streep's click, click, click performance in Doubt...and there is no comparison. Lange has qualities that Streep could never possess; she goes darker, burns hotter and brighter. Lange is brilliant with text as well in a way Streep could never be. Lange is earthy, full of passion. Streep has her strengths as well but she doesn't eclipse Jessica Lange.

by Greply 7006/04/2013

[quote]Lange is brilliant with text as well in a way Streep could never be.

could you expand on that for us non-actor types?

by Greply 7106/04/2013

I honestly don't understand all of the Meryl hype either. She was great in her early-mid 80's movies (Silkwood, Sophie's Choice, and Heartburn), but other than that, her movies have been just so-so. I will admit though that I haven't seen her last few films; the last one I saw was that awful "comedy" with Alec Baldwin.

by Greply 7206/04/2013

[quote]Compare her performance as Sister Jude to Streep's click, click, click performance in Doubt...and there is no comparison. Lange has qualities that Streep could never possess; she goes darker, burns hotter and brighter. Lange is brilliant with text as well in a way Streep could never be. Lange is earthy, full of passion. Streep has her strengths as well but she doesn't eclipse Jessica Lange.

Well stated.

by Greply 7306/04/2013

The Jessica Lange fawning is unbearable. The Name Game sequence was like something out of Planet of the Apes, with poor Jess playing a chimpanzee. And Bette Davis was far superior to Katharine Hepburn.

by Greply 7406/04/2013

If it weren't for Dylan McDermott's beautiful, supple 50-something ass in the pilot,....AHS would have never been greenlit

by Greply 7506/04/2013

Poor R75 needs a vocabulary lesson. Supple is an adjective that applies to one's entire body - why would you want a bendy butt? You don't make any sense.

by Greply 7606/05/2013

[quote]why would you want a bendy butt?

Definition of SUPPLE

a : compliant often to the point of obsequiousness b : readily adaptable or responsive to new situations

by Greply 7706/05/2013

Not sure how you could know or assume all that about a man's butt you saw on TV but whatever. Keep reaching.

by Greply 7806/05/2013

r78 is no fun

by Greply 7906/05/2013

Meryl Streep was up for Big Edie in what became the HBO Grey Gardens film, and had she said yes it would have been a commercially-released film, not a cable darling.

by Greply 8006/05/2013

lol. Meryl was never up for "Grey Gardens". The writer and director of the film, Michael Sucsy, wanted Lange from the very beginning - even before he chose Barrymore.

Do your research :)

by Greply 8106/08/2013

I think Jessica handled that deftly.

I'm sure she's really sick of the fawning over Streep.

As a competitor of Streep's, it's actually pretty insulting to ask Lange which of Lange's performances she admired most.

I thought Lange handled it well by implying that none of Streep's performances was particularly memorable, without actually saying that. And then subtly driving the point home by mentioning ANOTHER actress who did give memorable performances Lange admired.

by Greply 8206/08/2013

Well played, Miss Lange. Well played.

by Greply 8306/08/2013

And I agree with her. Anyone think that Jessica would have been good in Doubt?

by Greply 8406/08/2013

When did Lange split with cheater Shepard?

by Greply 8506/08/2013

She mentions that Kim Stanley in THE GODDESS is the performance she looks up to, but I've always thought she was miscast and overrated in that. Stanley was rather homely and wasn't believable as a Marilyn-inspired sex symbol character.

by Greply 8606/08/2013

Jessica. Lange is a feral actress and Meryl isn't. Their respective styles are as different as night and day.

by Greply 8706/08/2013

[quote]Jessica. Lange is a feral actress and Meryl isn't. Their respective styles are as different as night and day.

Agreed. I'm a film actress. She does basic cable.

by Greply 8806/08/2013

[quote]The writer and director of the film, Michael Sucsy, wanted Lange from the very beginning - even before he chose Barrymore.

That's what he says now, and it's very politic, but that's not what he said to Meryl's agent when he tried to get a meeting with her in 2004.

by Greply 8906/08/2013

plus in 2004 Jessica was lying on the floor somewhere in Minnesota screaming about how she had fallen and couldn't get up. (she drank you know)

by Greply 9006/08/2013

[quote]When did Lange split with cheater Shepard?

After he threw her down their stairs and broke her arm.

by Greply 9106/08/2013

Meryl has been starring in movies for decades now, but does anyone think she's been in any memorable films since the early 80s? She had a hell of a run for a few years (Julia, The Deer Hunter, Manhattan, Kramer Vs. Kramer, maybe Sophie's Choice, maybe even The French Lieutenant's Woman), but since then -- thirty years ago now -- she hasn't made many memorable movies. She herself is good in them, but, still, does anyone who isn't a Gummer want to go back and watch them again? Why?

I don't know if Jessica was being particularly bitchy in not having an answer.

I rewatch movies all the time. I'm rarely if ever drawn back to Meryl's. One of these days I'd like to see The Seduction of Joe Tynan again, and those I mentioned above are excellent, but otherwise her movies are just not that good.

by Greply 9206/09/2013

G a.k.a. Paul

Who cares?

by Greply 9306/09/2013

[quote]Meryl Streep was up for Big Edie in what became the HBO Grey Gardens film, and had she said yes it would have been a commercially-released film, not a cable darling.

Had she said yes we would have been deprived of a great performance.

by Greply 9406/09/2013

Jessica Lange is feral? Only if animals get a lot of facelifts.

Does anyone like Meryl's movies since the 80's? Yes. The Devil Wears Prada, The Hours, and Adaptation are three films I would watch again. Time did not stop in the 1980's, unless you are OLD.

by Greply 9506/10/2013

Lange couldn't mention one performance of Streep's when Streep praised her performance as Patsy Cline?

by Greply 9607/11/2013

Cable TV makes women bitter.

by Greply 9707/11/2013
Need more help? Click Here.