Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The Venture Bros.: The Best TV Show You've Never Heard Of

Do you like Archer’s mid-century modernist aesthetic and fascination with the bureaucratic machinations of superheroes and villains? Do you like Arrested Development’s self-referential callbacks and its obsession with how failure and dysfunction are handed down from one generation to another? And sure, I’ll go there: Do you like The Wire’s complex web of characters whose motivations and relationships are slowly teased out over season-long and even series-long arcs?

Then you will probably love The Venture Bros.

Written, directed, designed, edited, and largely voiced by two men, Eric “Doc” Hammer and Christopher McCulloch (aka Jackson Publick), The Venture Bros., which airs on Adult Swim, is one of the best—and certainly most original—shows on television. In four seasons produced over the course of a decade—the fifth premieres this Sunday—the series has grown from a goofy, oddly specific riff on Johnny Quest cartoons and other pulp adventure stories into an elaborate and wonderfully realized universe.

The premise is complicated enough: Dr. Thaddeus “Rusty” Venture (voiced by James Urbaniak) attempts to recapture the fame and success of his world-famous super-scientist father, with his two sons Hank and Dean (the titular brothers) and their herculean body guard Brock Samson (perfectly voiced by Patrick Warburton) along for the ride. And that barely hints at the world of bizarre and hilarious characters, twisting plot lines, and superbly specific referential humor that makes the series so damn exciting.

There’s the self-absorbed, butterfly-themed villain The Monarch and his Jackie Onassis-channeling 2nd-in-command/romantic interest, Dr. Girlfriend; the New Wave music enthusiast Albino and his hydrocephalic best friend, who met competing in illegal underground Quizboy competitions; the secret intelligence officer who bears a striking similarity to Hunter S. Thompson; the family of industrialists who illustrate just how messed up the Fantastic Four might have turned out; Phantom Limb, a villain with invisible appendages who vies for control of the organized villainy union, the Guild of Calamitous Intent, currently controlled by (who else) David Bowie. Actually, there’s a lot of David Bowie.

by Anonymousreply 8106/13/2015

(continued)

It’s the kind of show where no thread is ever dropped, where jokes and characters mentioned once in the first season suddenly become major plot points in the fourth. And it’s the rare comedy where characters actually grow, change, and develop over time—and the more you watch, the more you learn about characters’ histories and just why everyone is as messed up as they are. It can seem impenetrable, but the rewards for attentive viewing are considerable.

Few TV showrunners have as much control over their final product as Hammer and Publick, and that control surely has much do with the utterly singular voice and perspective of the series. Unfortunately, the amount of work involved has also meant long delays between seasons: It’s been nearly two and half years since the finale of Season 4 aired. (There have been two specials in the meantime.) And for much of that time, the show was unavailable on any streaming services.

But now is the perfect time to jump in. You can finally binge through the first season via Netflix. If you’re skeptical, I’d recommend starting at episode 6, “Ghosts of the Sargasso,” an episode featuring a hilarious parody of Scooby-Doo style rubber-masked Ghost Pirates; Brock Samson executing one of the most delightfully foul hands-free combat techniques I’ve ever seen; and the excellently meta Bowie-riffing cold open linked above. If that piques your interest, Hammer and Publick recently released an epic 8-minute summary of the first four seasons, which should give you enough background to start watching this Sunday.

It’s true, the specificity of Hammer and Publick’s vision and references can become overwhelming. But for every extended joke comparing Hanna-Barbera characters to famous misanthropes of the ’60s and ’70s there’s a great Star Wars joke pitched right into the pop-culture strike zone, giving the show a kind of something-for-every-nerd appeal. Give it a chance. It just might be your new favorite show.

by Anonymousreply 106/01/2013

Um, is this post from 5 years ago???

by Anonymousreply 206/01/2013

No, R2... Season 5 premiers tomorrow (Sunday) night!

by Anonymousreply 306/01/2013

Well, it's pretty fucking stupid to refer to Venture Bros as "The best TV show you've never heard of." Anyone my age worth knowing loves that show.

by Anonymousreply 406/01/2013

I love this show so much. I don't have cable, so I'll have to figure out some other way to watch it, or I'll just have to wait. I just rewatched the first season when it came out on Netflix. The animation is very stylized and is especially rough in the first batch of episodes, but don't let that turn you off. It's worth investing your time in.

No one appreciates Dr. Orpheus.

by Anonymousreply 506/01/2013

Not one but two openly gay characters: the Alchemist and Shore Leave!

Seriously, did the writer of this article just find out that Adult Swim showed more than "Family Guy" reruns? (Speaking of AS, can't wait till "Bob's Burgers" starts running at the end of the month."

by Anonymousreply 606/01/2013

Adventure Time is better.

by Anonymousreply 706/01/2013

I thought Dr. Mrs. The Monarch was gay

by Anonymousreply 806/01/2013

I don't remember her being with any women. Am I forgetting something?

by Anonymousreply 906/02/2013

No, R9... but they sure played with the thought she might be a he for a while... (FTM)

by Anonymousreply 1006/02/2013

The Monarch and Dr. Mrs. The Monarch apparently have a lot of threeways. Also, in an early season someone wrote a tell all of The Monarch where it was revealed he made out with Stiv Bators at Danceteria back in the 80's.

And actually, they have a third recurring gay character: Colonel Gentleman.

I love this show. I'm looking forward to the new season. I love the casual references to so many relatively obscure people: Eugene Sandow, Henry Darger, etc. Loved that when Brock asked for a clean up of an especially violent murder, he referred to the crime scene as a full on Damien Hirst.

You'd think they'd farm out more voices, especially since they had a lot of people willing to "guest voice" last season. Margaret Cho was Dr. Fear's wife. ("I thought it was because I was your beard.") But then, Stephen Colbert was a recurring character and then ditched the show when he got "big." So maybe they don't want to get burned again.

by Anonymousreply 1106/02/2013

They should have gotten a different voice artist for either the Alchemist or Shore Leave. When they talk, it's the same frigging voice.

by Anonymousreply 1206/02/2013

Tonight at midnight, 11pm eastern!

by Anonymousreply 1306/02/2013

[quote]Do you like Archer’s mid-century modernist aesthetic and fascination with the bureaucratic machinations of superheroes and villains?

This writer is a dope. "Archer" is about the bureaucratic machinations of espionage. "The Venture Bros." is all about the bureaucratic machinations of superheroes and villains.

by Anonymousreply 1406/02/2013

And now the continuing story of Another World...Jamie and Cecile

by Anonymousreply 1506/02/2013

Starting in less that five minutes! Eeeeeeeeeee!

by Anonymousreply 1606/02/2013

Tuning in now!

by Anonymousreply 1706/02/2013

Hilarious!

by Anonymousreply 1806/03/2013

I watched the first 4 episodes on Netflix and quit. Very dull.

by Anonymousreply 1906/03/2013

I saw it and it sucked. OP must be a paid shill from the network.

by Anonymousreply 2006/03/2013

It's on netflix? For free?

by Anonymousreply 2106/03/2013

EAT THE PENNIES!

by Anonymousreply 2206/03/2013

Go back to watching "Phineas & Ferb" Rs 19 and 20.

by Anonymousreply 2306/03/2013

Why do you still have tits?

by Anonymousreply 2406/03/2013

"Hey... why do you still have tits?"

by Anonymousreply 2506/03/2013

[quote]It's on netflix? For free?

The first season is on Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 2606/03/2013

I read that Stephen Colbert, who originally voiced Dr. Impossible, didn't abandon his voiceover role. The creators called his agent for him to reprise the role, and his agent was the one who basically told them to fuck off. The agent didn't realize who they were and that Stephen had already worked with them in the past. The creators just ended up moving on and getting the SNL guy to take over the role. They said they hold no ill will towards Stephen.

by Anonymousreply 2706/03/2013

R27, you'd think that such a decision could easily be "undone" by Colbert once he found out...

by Anonymousreply 2806/03/2013

I thought it was a great return...almost like it hasn't been two fucking years since the last episode...

by Anonymousreply 2906/03/2013

Here's a non-spoilery review... link is full of spoilers (this is the first and last paragraphs):

If you didn’t know that the season 4 finale of The Venture Bros. aired back in 2010, you’d be forgiven for thinking that it aired just last week, based on the season 5 premiere “What Color Is Your Cleansuit?” Doc Hammer and Jackson Publick haven’t missed a beat in these past three years, and The Venture Bros. is just as amazing as when it left.

It’s an hour of Venture Bros. that never once lags, despite its massive run time, one that might not have the massive insanity of last night’s Game of Thrones, but one that continues to change the status quo of the series and watch these characters grow, and one that feels just as comfortable and wonderful and entertaining as if it had aired three years ago. Welcome back.

by Anonymousreply 3006/03/2013

I feel I can safely say that this was the best hour of TV I've seen in quite a while. There was no one second I was not grinning ear to ear, punctuated with a ton of laughing. It's clever. It's well written. The timing, phenomenal. Animation, voices, jokes, EVERYTHING worked. However, this is definitely NOT the episode to start new viewers on. Hopefully die hard fans will initiate them from season 1 and work their way down. There's just too much referenced in this episode for any new people to enjoy it.

My only wish is that they would have aired the Halloween special before this. It was awesome of Adult Swim to include a bumper saying that "This is where the Halloween special should go" and suggesting that people pause the show to watch it and then come back. Hell, if they would have found a way to incorporate the Halloween episode into the show somehow, I would be okay with that, even if it would have made it really disjoint.

Oh... I guess if I was to have one more wish, it would be for more Brock Samson. I mean, come on guys. Please? I know Warburton is a busy guy and those folks at AstroBase love them some Sgt Hatred, but his relationship with the boys, his awesome deadpan snark, and the pure ability to mercilessly kill henchmen made him the standout of the show. Hatred is fine, but there's room for Brock too!

by Anonymousreply 3106/03/2013

[quote]R27], you'd think that such a decision could easily be "undone" by Colbert once he found out...

Maybe he's not an asshole and felt that demanding they fire the replacement actor, who was at absolutely no fault, would be a real dick move.

by Anonymousreply 3206/03/2013

R32, my implication was that he'd find out before the replacement actor was hired. One would think there would be a significant amount of time in there... and Colbert of all people would be "connected" enough to know a new season of Venture Brothers was in the works.

by Anonymousreply 3306/03/2013

This was the blog post from the creator:

[quote]One sour note from the past month (aside from my car getting hit yet again) is that Mr. Stephen Colbert has decided not to reprise his role as Professor Impossible this season, for reasons which probably have something to do with him being all super-famous, super-busy, and no longer in need of a few hundred bucks here and there. We figured this would happen eventually, considering his monumental success in the years since our first season, but we held out hope that the WGA strike would leave him with enough bored free time on his hands that he’d have a go at it. But after getting shuffled around from his assistant to his assistant’s assistant to his agent to his manager, one of them finally shot us an email saying: “Stephen has neither the time nor the interest in participating in your project.”

It does sound possible that Colbert was never given the info.

by Anonymousreply 3406/03/2013

I personally cannot believe that Colbert had no interest.

I can believe he didn't have time.

by Anonymousreply 3506/03/2013

This show was QUITE the antidote to the GoT episode, I must say. From shock and horror, to pure joy.

by Anonymousreply 3606/04/2013

It's amazing how consistent the show is... more than two years between episodes, and damn, it's like no time at all passed.

by Anonymousreply 3706/05/2013

Why can't I get into this show? All of my friends who have very similar tastes love it, but 6 episodes into the first seasone I'm ready to give up. I don't think it's bad, it's just not very interesting. I love Adventure Time and like Archer, but this show does nothing for me.

by Anonymousreply 3806/05/2013

I don't understand that, R38. This show is frigging brilliant, absolutely hilarious, and is way better than Adventure Time, and is certainly as good (if not better) as Archer.

And it just gets better and better.

by Anonymousreply 3906/05/2013

R39, well not sure I could trust anyone who thinks Archer is better than Adventure Time.

by Anonymousreply 4006/05/2013

Archer has H. Jon Benjamin, and anything that has H. Jon Benjamin in it is by definition "superb". Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 4106/05/2013

R41, it is. But it's still not better than AT.

by Anonymousreply 4206/05/2013

H. Jon Benjamin was the voice of "The Master" on four episodes of "The Venture Bros."

by Anonymousreply 4306/05/2013

Can someone explain to me why people like R42 can't simply enjoy three very funny and very different pieces of entertainment without being competitive about it? What's the psychology behind that? I enjoy all three shows very much but don't feel the need to rank them in quality. "My show is better than yours therefore I'm better than you." It's a junior high school mentality. Can't these dorks just grow up?

by Anonymousreply 4406/06/2013

Last night's episode was hilarious. Again.

by Anonymousreply 4506/17/2013

Spoilers ahead:

[bold]Henchman 21 destroys SPHINX while Venture Bros. skewers G.I.Joe[/bold]

I have decided that recapping The Venture Bros. is impossible. Well, for me, at least. Now I’m going to try to do it anyways.

The main characters are so rich and fully formed it’s almost impossible to describe them; the newest characters are so brilliantly inspired by nerd culture that it would take pages to try and explain why they’re funny, and the plots are so carefully woven that somehow all these threads of the stories and the characters and their histories all start separate to inevitably culminate together in a way that makes most other TV seem like they aren’t even trying.

Trying to truly summarize and episode of The Venture Bros., to do it proper justice with my stupid clumsy monkey paws in less than 10,000 words seems like cheating, but no one wants to read that much and I certainly don’t have the time. So let’s get down to brass tacks, ladies and gentlemen:

We begin with Gary. Now the sole member of SPHINX, he’s determined to keep the heroic agency going, even if it’s by himself. He does manage to destroy a truck operated by a math-based criminal group, with two small problems: 1) he accidentally botches an undercover OSI operation, and 2) he kills an admittedly evil, chain-smoking 8-year-old boy named Short Division. Brock takes his crossbow away and tells him to stand down.

But this doesn’t stop Gary. He helps Sgt. Hatred defend the Venture compound from The Monach, thanks to his years of henching for the villain give him almost complete knowledge of the Monarch’s schemes and actions. It’s then he decides to advertise for new SPHINX members to help him restore SPHINX to its previous glory.

What Gary has forgotten, though, is that before SPHINX was Col. Gathers’ secret group of good guys trying to ferret out the traitors in OSI, it was a COBRA-esque group of terrorists — and its these guys who (re-)enlist, including Sphinx Commander (this does not tip Gary off). Hank also rejoins SPHINX, putting on the extremely feminine and sexy power suit of The Countess (who Sphinx Commander was spying on, in his car, earlier in the episode). These guys (minus Hank, natch) have decided to go out in a blaze of glory fighting OSI one more time.

Meanwhile, The Monarch and Dr. Mrs. The Monarch decide to disguise themselves, enter the Venture compound, and set bombs. This is incredibly easy, despite the fact that the sole t-shirt the Monarch owns is one labeled “Beaver inspector” from his bachelor party. Of course, Doc has fought crazier shit than mutant beaver, so he leads them through the tunnels underneath the compound, where the Monarchs place bombs, explaining they’ll send out anti-beaver vibrations. It isn’t long before Sgt. Hatred, currently trying to bond with the still-completely-fed-up-with-this-nonsense Dean, detects the explosives, and the two round them up. Refusing to believe Gary has truly changed his ways (despite his own face turn), Hatred deposits the bombs at SPHINX HQ.

Once his new crew start attacking the OSI’s flying fortress, Gary realizes what’s up, and he and Hank are imprisoned. From there, it’s a quick matter of Brock and Shoreleave infilitrating the ship and disposing of the SPHINX goons. Col. Gathers destroys the SPHINX ship at the same time the bombs destroy SPHOINX HQ. Now SPHINX is dead and Gary’s on his own, but at least Brock gives him his crossbow back.

But the true bombshell is the picture that the Monarch finds in Dr. Venture’s family photo album — a picture of him and Doc, playing together as children on the Venture compound. The Monarch’s parents are there, too. You know what that means? SECRET ORIGIN TIME, BABY.

Now, none of this truly explains how great this episode was, but at least it recapped it.

More at the link:

by Anonymousreply 4606/17/2013

I like the music Jim Thirlwell did for it. Will have to have a look at the show as I doubt Thirlwell would pen even a note for something crap.

by Anonymousreply 4706/17/2013

I know this show gets no love here, but I REALLY enjoy it. I wish the hiatus between seasons wasn't so long.

by Anonymousreply 4806/17/2013

So do I, R48, on both counts. I finally started DVRing it after I'd missed so many last season episodes that I had little idea what was going on at this season's opener.

I just convinced a friend to start watching it from the beginning by mentioning a certain femme fatale character named "Molotov Cock-Tease."

by Anonymousreply 4906/18/2013

I think the storytelling would suffer greatly if they cranked them out like a regular show. The stories and scriptwriting are so well crafted it takes time to create it.

by Anonymousreply 5006/18/2013

R50, two years between seasons is a bit much though, don't you think?

by Anonymousreply 5106/18/2013

I guess so, R51, but there's plenty of other stuff to watch.

by Anonymousreply 5206/18/2013

It's a low-budget, small team production. I wish it could crank out this quality at a faster pace, but I prefer what we're getting to the probable result of a fasted-tracked [[cough]]South Park[[cough]] approach.

by Anonymousreply 5306/18/2013

Each show is so densely packed with character moments, references, and comedic brilliance that it's insane. You can't just watch each episode once and hope to catch it all.

by Anonymousreply 5406/18/2013

I read that there won't be a delay b/t S5 and S6 like the 2 years we previously had. The creators felt awful about that, so S6 will be in 2014 as they are getting the episodes animated now. I always find it odd that this show has been around 10 years now and we are only up to S5

by Anonymousreply 5506/18/2013

Yeah.

It's tough: A show this good, you want MORE of, but if they crank it out, it wouldn't be THIS GOOD.

by Anonymousreply 5606/18/2013

SPANNNNNIKOPITA!

by Anonymousreply 5706/25/2013

The Collector is a really annoying rip-off of Comic Book Guy on "The Simpsons." He even sounds like him.

Worst. Arch-villian. Ever.

by Anonymousreply 5806/26/2013

I quit this show when they dumped Brock Samson.

by Anonymousreply 5906/26/2013

They didn't dump him. He's in every episode.

by Anonymousreply 6006/26/2013

Tonight's episode featured Brock. Shore Leave was on fi-yah!

by Anonymousreply 6107/01/2013

I'm sad to see the strength suit go.

Poor Hank.

by Anonymousreply 6207/01/2013

Funny that they had Sgt. Hatred's moobs hanging out uncensored. They'd blur Molotov's if she showed them.

by Anonymousreply 6307/01/2013

[bold]Brock takes charge in a complex, brilliant and hilarious Venture Bros.[/bold]

Um, is there any point to trying to recap last night’s Venture Bros.? Are there really any words that convey the brilliant plotting, editing, and dialogue that allowed the impossibly intricate episode to jump from time to time, from scene to scene, and character to character with no warning, but stay perfectly clear and understandable, but also completely hilarious?

I would posit there is not, but I can at least tell you what happened on the mind-bogglingly complex “O.S.I. Love You,” which was made some major changes in the Venture Bros. universe, especially for the Venture’s beloved ex-bodyguard Brock. He leads a team of O.S.I. agents (who are really delving into the G.I. Joe jokes, to my infinite amusement) to capture Molotov Cocktease and Monstroso, who of course survived last season’s finale. That they manage to do this with relative ease should indicate there are more troubles ahead (although Brock did have to watch the two fuck during the attack).

Flash-forward 12 hours to the present, where three government agents seemingly dethawed from the ‘30s or ‘40s (not literally; I understand I need to qualify that during a VB recap, I just mean they call women things like “chippy” and so forth) to understand the “clusterfudge” that occurred between now and then. The short version? Monstroso disappeared, and Molotov died, while taking out several O.S.I. agents and very nearly the helicarrier.

But none of that is entirely true, although Brock and Hunter Gathers don’t share that with the agents. As Monstroso completely gives up the goods on the Guild — the nature of the Sovereign, the Council, and the fact that the Auditors are likely to kill him any moment — the Auditors do arrive and literally push him through the wall of the Helicarrier to drop 20,000 or so feet to the ground, in a way that Brock couldn’t see; to him, Monstroso disappeared in thin air.

Meanwhile, Molotov uses her skills (and a hairpin she keeps in her empty eye socket) to escape her cell; she runs amuck through the helicopter, killing a number of delightfully goofy O.S.I. agents. Of course, Doc Venture, Sgt. Hatred and Hank and Dean are on board, as Hatred is getting his breasts removed. This means that Hank, who is still wearing the Countess’ Strength Suit from SPHINX, takes it upon himself to capture Molotov, which results in her immediately taking the Strength Suit for herself.

Now super-powered, the only person who can stop Molotov is Brock, who manages to do so (after getting thrown from the helicarrier, rescued by HELPeR in the X-1, and then making out with Molotov Spider-Man style for a bit. Just as he’s about to toss her unconscious body in one of the Helicarrier’s turbines, Col. Gathers runs out and demands he stop!

As it turns out, Gathers has hired Molotov to be a double agent — and her first mission was to escape the Helicarrier, reveal the holes in their security, and murder whatever remaining double-agents OSI had left in the process while looking like she was merely killing them in her escape attempt. Brock doesn’t trust her at all, but an order’s an order — which means once Gathers sets up a security camera, Brock tosses the empty Strength Suit in the turbine, appearing to all concerned that he has indeed killed her.

The three government agents aren’t happy to hear about all this (and they’d be unhappier if they knew Molotov was still alive), but they leave… only for the same three agents to seemingly come back a few minutes later, claiming to just arrived. And as the first three agents walk away, their gets glowing red pinstripes, they’re revealed to be the Auditors, and the phase out of the building. And now they know everything that O.S.I. knows… almost.

(continued)

by Anonymousreply 6407/01/2013

(continued)

Guys, I can’t tell you how amazing this episode was, just in its sheer construction. It was staggeringly complex, but it was still crystal clear what was going on, and when, and it used this to build on the dialogue of other scenes in a manner that was hilarious without sacrificing clarity. It was just phenomenal. Truly, I think The Venture Bros. is as fantastic as it has ever been.

Assorted Musings:

• Man, Doc Hammer and Jackson Publick love putting Sgt. Hatred’s tits on screen, uncensored. Which they can get away with it, because they are bare breasts on a man. American censorship is ludicrous.

• “Hey, I keep a straight face every time you call yourself a ‘super-scientist.’”

• “I also saw a noticeable improvement in tips.” “NO, NOT EVEN THE TIP!”

• The Sovereign’s true form is possibly the thing on the cover of Bowie’s Diamond Dogs album. This makes me happier than I can possibly tell you.

• “Sorry, we didn’t have a jumpsuit in size stupid-big.”

• “It’s a round room, Hank. There are no corners.”

• “What, did Joe Eszterhas write that for you?”

• New OSI Agent names: Afterburner, Amber Gold, Headshot, Tank Top, Bum Rush, Shuttlecock, Slapchop, Snoopy. Did I miss any?

• “You’ll never get over the loss of your breasts. You’ll miss them forever.”

• In a just world, the O.S.I. would have their own action figure line. Maybe Bif Bang Pow can do an SDCC exclusive pack at some point?

(end)

by Anonymousreply 6507/01/2013

[bold]Hank turns supervillain in a family bombshell-dropping Venture Bros.[/bold]

See this picture? This is Hank, dressed as a supervillain, breaking into a bank in order to get thrown into an insane asylum for criminals. So you may not believe me when I say that Hank is, without any doubt, the most well-adjusted member of the Venture family at the moment.

Disagree? Read this recap, and see if you change your mind. There are three separate stories in “Momma’s Boys,” which in the best tradition of The Venture Bros. don’t stay separate for long. First, the still sulking Dean appears to have a girlfriend, who calls him on the phone and demands Dean tell her he loves and needs her. Second, Hank and Dermott, annoyed with Doc Venture constantly interrupting their practice, use Hank's Teddy Talk-to-Me doll (the VB equivalent of a Teddy Ruxpin) to occupy their father again, with the help of a burner cellphone, Teddy’s cassette tape of dialogue, and Doc Venture’s ability to monopolize any friendship and/or conversation. As Doc talks at a stuffed a bear, Hank and Dermott are able to sneak out at night.

What they don’t realize is that Doc’s boredom/paranoia now extends to Teddy, whom Doc thinks is an ex-con living in By-Golly Gulch who is being menaced by someone named “Grumpy Bandersnatch.” When Doc finds the Teddy Talk-To-Me in Hank’s room, he realizes the truth — Grumpy Bandersnatch has been listening into his and Teddy’s conversation via a bug in his son’s teddy bear, and Teddy is in serious trouble.

As Doc and Sgt. Hatred plan to head to By-Golly Gulch to save Teddy, Gary comes out of the bushes to help Hank and Dermott fix the situation — he knows where the real voice of Teddy is, namely the Dunwich Asylum for the Criminally Possessive, after he got burned in the Chinese factory making the dolls. Only criminals can get into Dunwich, however, meaning the three of them enter and (kind of) stick-up a bank as The Viceroy (“I mimic the Monarch butterfly!”), Flying Sidekick (“These are my magic numchuks, which I think might be pronounced numchaku!”) and Enrico Matasa (“My name means Hank Hank, and I’m also using a hank of yarn as a weapon!”). Guess who is who.

Hank and Gary are sent to Dunwich and Dermott and H.E.L.P.eR. are stuck in regular jail (the cops think “Flying Sidekick” makes him a sidekick, which Dunwich doesn’t accept while, the arguing Doc and Hatred accidentally drive off a bridge on their way to wherever their phone GPS has translated “By-Golly Gulch” to and end up in a cliff face, hanging upside down, waiting to die.

(continued)

by Anonymousreply 6607/08/2013

(continued)

Dean, meanwhile, has arrived at prison — not the prison where Dermott is being held, but Dunwich, where it reveals he’s meeting Myra, the insane ex-Venture bodyguard, because Dean thinks she's his mom! This visit coincides with Myra’s prison break — thanks to the legion of guards and inmates alike she’s turned into her gang of “Momma’s Boys” — which also includes Teddy, discovered by Hank and Gary in the cafeteria. Unfortunately, Myra’s plot also involves using her henchmen Maybe Man and Big Time to send Myra back in time to Dean’s birth so she can shove him in her “pink pillow-y womb” so she can “finally give birth to teeny weenie Deanie and be his only-wonly mommy!”

This finally clues Hank and Dean in that Myra isn’t their mom, and that she’s a dangerous lunatic. Hank and Gary start a prison riot — which, to be honest, is not that difficult to do — the criminals escape, Teddy flees into the night, Gary saves Dean, and everyone runs like hell.

Meanwhile, Doc and Hatred are trading death confessions; Hatred masturbates to his own boobs, and Doc admits Dermott is his love child. Just as Hatred finally figures out Teddy’s true identity and is about to tell Doc, the real Teddy arrives at the car and helps pull Doc and Hatred to safety. The two bid each other a fond farewell, and Doc gets to keep the wool firmly over his eyes — but is happier for it.

The aforementioned love-child, by the way, has summoned Dr. Orpheus to help him out of regular jail — who is confused because he felt he was summoned by a Venture. Remembering earlier when he suddenly began to understand H.E.L.P.eR’s chitterings — something only the Ventures seem to be able to do — Dermott realizes that Doc must be his real dad. Just as importantly, Dermott seems to be completely fine with this — especially since he so casually announces this bombshell to his family during the episode’s epilogue.

So we’ve completely ruled out Myra as the Venture mother, Dermott, Hank and Dean know they’re all brothers, and somehow at the moment Hank is the most well-adjusted Venture at the moment, ready to roll with whatever craziness comes his way. This episode wasn’t as intricate as last week’s masterpiece, and maybe it wasn’t as rich, but it still advanced the characters, dropped some new facts on us and the characters, and was a damn fine time. Still, I can’t help but be excited about more O.S.I. shenanigans next week.

(continued)

by Anonymousreply 6707/08/2013

[bold]Assorted Musings:[/bold]

• Venture fans will remember this is not the first time Hank has used Teddy to distract Doc, which also explains why 1) Doc feels like they’re close friends and 2) Doc is genuinely worried for Teddy.

• Doc: “GYPO, I’m FOL, Code 9, TTYL. That’s ‘Getting Your Pants Off, I’m Fond of Leather, my parent or guardian is near, and I Will Talk To You Later’ in sexting.”

• Dermott: “Yeah, right H.E.L.P.eR. I’ll believe that when the Ms. Pac-Man table calls you back.”

• Sgt. Hatred keeps trying to figure out what Dean’s problem is. “Are you a friend of Anna? Anna… Rexia?”

• My favorite moment of the episode is when Dermott asks Hank how Doc Venture believes this Teddy/Grumpy Bandersnatch nonsense, and Hank points out it’s actually pretty normal for them. “Last year, right where you’re sitting, David Bowie looking like David Bowie in the ‘70s slapped a guy with invisible arms and legs. Right over there, Brock killed a guy from Dimension Z, which may or may not have been an alternate Earth. And that’s an ex-henchman for my dad’s archenemy. I’m sure he lives in my yard now.”

• Dermott: “Okay, guy watching us from the bushes, you make us into men. Should I get some lotion or do you want to use blood and clown paint for lube?”

• Second favorite moment: Gary and Dermott giving the “Go Team Venture” sign, and Hank not joining in.

• Myra: “My collectible Deanie baby!”

• Doc: “Maybe these are gumdrop trees, I’m not a botanist.” Hatred: “Gumdrop tr— Doc, these are the kinda trees that disembowel scarecrows lookin’ for wizards.”

• Hank: “Yeah, it’s just too bad that a raving lunatic that wanted to make you a baby again and then push you up her lady-hole isn’t our real mom. Real tragedy.”

(end)

by Anonymousreply 6807/08/2013

And just like that, Season 5 is over. Sigh.

Great finale though.

And thankfully, Season 6 won't take two years...

by Anonymousreply 6907/29/2013

[adult swim] has started showing the series from episode 1. Now would be a good time to get into it if you're interested.

by Anonymousreply 7010/16/2013

Did anyone else watch the season 5 finale early this morning..."All This and Gargantua-2."

It was great and featured lots of callbacks and tied up lots of dangling threads and wad just damn enjoyable.

After the special you go to the adult swim website and they have the Season 5 epilogue that teases/leads you into season 6.

I found a great article breaking down why they did this special.

by Anonymousreply 7101/20/2015

Here's a link to the 3.5 minute "epilogue" to the one hour special that aired last night:

by Anonymousreply 7201/20/2015

Definitely not a show you can just drop into the middle of, and 'get'.

But definitely a binge-worthy series.

by Anonymousreply 7301/21/2015

BUMP, because "All This And Gargantua 2".

by Anonymousreply 7401/21/2015

I own all the DVDs (well, I still need to get Season 5, but still). It's a truly amazing, genius show. And the reviews of the one hour special were all amazing too... glad it's getting some of the appreciation it deserves.

by Anonymousreply 7501/22/2015

BILLY QUIZBOY'S MOM ROCKED!

by Anonymousreply 7601/22/2015

I can't believe The Sovereign is dead!

I can't believe the Guild of Calamitous Intent is no more!

I can't believe The Venture Compound is destroyed!

by Anonymousreply 7701/22/2015

When does the new season start?

by Anonymousreply 7805/01/2015

Could someone start a thread on Steven Universe?

They actually had to structure the whole mythology of the show in a precise manner before they could out the protagonist as unapologetically gay while the show is still seeking renewal. That alone should have been a topic of discussion here on Datalounge. Even if the characters are lesbian -- the whole issue of censorship has been mentioned previously in Rebecca Sugar's work on Adventure Time. The structural way she got around that issue with Steven's Universe alone deserves discussion.

And then there is Pearl.

by Anonymousreply 7905/01/2015

WHEN THE FUCK DOES THE NEW SEASON START?!?

by Anonymousreply 8006/13/2015

No word yet. I haven't heard anything since ATAG2. I know it'll be worth the wait but at this point I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see anything until 2016. I just hope season 6 is longer than season 5 was.

by Anonymousreply 8106/13/2015
Need more help? Click Here.