Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Oh my god, I fucking hate my neighbors

They seem to love the backyard a lot in a very attached way. I can hear some cackling and I really mean [italic]cackling[/italic] from my room. Holy shit, are they noisy. I wouldn't mind if I couldn't every. SINGLE. FUCKING. THING. They are saying. I'm thinking about purchasing ear plugs.

by Anonymousreply 7507/07/2014

"I'm thinking about purchasing ear plugs."

Hope that works for you and may I recommend that you get a matching butt plug.

by Anonymousreply 105/30/2013

Pour bleach on things they love!

by Anonymousreply 205/30/2013

Why do you live close enough to hear them?

by Anonymousreply 305/30/2013

R1. I had a similar problem. A lesbian couple bought the row house behind me. The gutted everything but the historic facade, added these huge industrial/factory type windows in the back of the building, and basically cemented over the entire garden. If they dropped a pin in the back yard, I could hear it. They would, of course, got "out back" to have an argument so no one could hear it. Everyone could hear it!

Unfortunately, it is their backyard, and they can do whatever they want in it.

by Anonymousreply 405/30/2013

I feel for the OP, there's nothing worse than loud, obnoxious neighbors who don't care that they are disturbing everyone else.

by Anonymousreply 505/30/2013

Get a white noise machine or play nature sounds on your radio or from your computer. There are a ton of videos online of nature sounds for free that you can download. Type in "babbling brook" or "rain sound" etc. in a search engine.

by Anonymousreply 605/30/2013

You're lucky, OP -- there are ways to avoid noise (as R6 suggests).

My neighbors use very heavily scented fabric softener sheets in the dryer, which vents from their roof & sends fumes over the fence straight into my driveway. I can't step out the back door to feed the cat, empty the garbage, water the plants, load my car, etc. without gagging. There are 3 adults & a baby, so lots of laundry.

Lovely people otherwise, but I'm not about to broach the subject & suggest that they change brands -- they must like the scent because it's the only kind they ever use.

So count your blessings.

by Anonymousreply 705/30/2013

The bastards next to me are grilling & BBQ freaks.

Smokes wafts out of their backyard 4 nights out 7 when the temperature is above 50˚.

This would be aggravating enough because I like to open my home's windows as much as I can in the Spring and Fall, ostensibly to let in the fresh air … but, hah!

I get so tired of having to turn on my air conditioner just to avoid filling my home with their grill smoke. Oh, and he's a purist: no gas grill for him -- has to be charcoal or wood.

But wait, there's more: their home is Party Central for their crowd. All big sporting events require they pull out the couches and bring out the big screen TV to the back patio. Naturally as the cases of brewskis get drunk, the yelling at the screen gets louder and louder. 15-20 people watching a game outside on TV is a NOISY affair.

Their little boy is at that annoying squeal-stage, as are his little friends, and the mother has one of those honking contralto voices where she talks loudly through her nose. She hosts Mothers'-Day-Out once a month. Yay me.

Her mister is a bald headed bastard (a school coach perhaps?) with sub-gutteral communication skills.

We are all NOT congenial, them or me.

I wish they'd move.

by Anonymousreply 905/30/2013

R9, I have a similar problem with a neighbor's BBQ. The only difference is that it doesn't matter the temp, they BBQ all of the fucking time.

Heaven forbid we get to enjoy the nice weather by allowing a nice breeze into the house.

by Anonymousreply 1005/30/2013

All of you people are lucky. My next door neighbors like to torture young children at all hours. The shrieking! The smells! My God. This sort of work should be done only during business hours, don't you think? There ought to be a law.

by Anonymousreply 1105/30/2013

Call me, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1205/30/2013

[quote] I'm thinking about purchasing ear plugs.

Don't do anything rash!!!

by Anonymousreply 1305/30/2013

[quote]Smokes wafts out of their backyard 4 nights out 7 when the temperature is above 50˚.

At least you can close your windows. I have a downstairs neighbor who is a fan of baked fish and meat and he refuses to open his windows when cooking (I can only imagine what his apartment smells like). The greasy smell seeps into my apartment through the floorboards and lingers for a full day. If I'm home when it happens I vacuum the kitchen/living-room area for about 20 minutes, then I wash the floors with peppermint scented liquid soap. I add some vinegar to the mix. It takes four or five washes to neutralize the stench. Then, I spray the floors with water/alcohol mix. Oh, and I keep jars with vinegar/water/peppermint oil mix in different corners of my living area.

I hope he chokes on his charbroiled steak.

by Anonymousreply 1405/30/2013

[quote]"I'm thinking about purchasing ear plugs."

Why don't think about purchasing a house in a decent neighborhood?

by Anonymousreply 1605/30/2013

R16, it would have to be a neighborhhood where no one ever goes outside.

Better yet, OP probably needs to live where there isn't a neighbor for miles around.

by Anonymousreply 1705/30/2013

Take up a musical instrument. Practice anytime you feel like it. Indoors and out.

by Anonymousreply 1805/30/2013

OP, have you met the housebound OP whose neighbor deliberately & loudly renovates his home all day in his driveway right under OP's bedroom window for the express purpose of preventing her from getting any rest, & he's turning it into a boarding house for college students who will hold wild noisy parties all night? And the neighbor is a vet (military, not animal), so the cops refuse to enforce the breach of peace laws against him because Americans wouldn't be free if it weren't for guys like him?

You might have a lot in common.

by Anonymousreply 1905/30/2013

Is it legal to place a camera in one of my trees in my backyard so I can "get proof" of my neighbors' loud shenanigans.

I want to train it on their backyard and be able to monitor it from inside my home.

What say the DL legal eagles?

by Anonymousreply 2005/30/2013

R20 I don't know if it's legal but I think you should do it and then play it back as loud as possible at 6am on Sunday morning. Also see if you can focus your camera on any kind of cheating spouse type activity and upload it to Youtube.

by Anonymousreply 2105/30/2013

I hate my neighbors. The constant cacophony of stupidity that pours from their apartment is absolutely soul-crushing. It doesn't matter how politely I ask them to practice some common courtesy - they're incapable of comprehending that their actions affect other people. They have a complete lack of consideration for anyone else, and an overly developed sense of entitlement. They have no decency, no concern, no shame. They do not care that I suffer from debilitating migraines and insomnia. They do not care that I have to go to work, or that I want to kill them. I know it's not normal to want to kill, but I also know that I am no longer normal.

by Anonymousreply 2205/30/2013

The problem with that plan is that noise that is perfectly legal and acceptable at 6 pm is not legal at 6 am in most communities.

by Anonymousreply 2305/30/2013

OK R23 as early as it is legal. They still won't be up then.

by Anonymousreply 2405/30/2013

OP....it sounds to me that if you had studied harder, gone to college (or if you did go to college then a better college), worked harder to make more money then you would live in a nicer home in a better neighborhood not troubled by the sound of your low rent neighbors.

So....as a financial loser, you should just be thankful that you have a roof over your head and that you don't need to stop at the local food kitchen to get more government cheese.

Now shut your trap and accept your lowly position in life.

Next!

by Anonymousreply 2505/30/2013

My neighbor mows his postage-stamp-sized yard with the biggest riding lawnmower I have ever seen.

When he cranks it, I can hear it even while taking a shower in my bathroom room farthest from his yard.

It takes him all of five minutes, six minutes tops.

That behemoth is meant for open field field mowing, not around trees and shrubs and air conditioners.

by Anonymousreply 2606/04/2013

Does your neighbor sick her dog on your cat?

Ha, ha, ha!

Do you want to kill her like the guy above?

Hey-o!

by Anonymousreply 2706/05/2013

[quote]Is it legal to place a camera in one of my trees in my backyard so I can "get proof" of my neighbors' loud shenanigans.

Why do you need proof, I thought you could hear them??? If you mean proof for the cops, it's perfectly legal to laugh outside.

by Anonymousreply 2806/05/2013

[quote]It takes him all of five minutes, six minutes tops.

And that bothers you so much, you have to post about it in an "I Hate My Neighbors" thread, R26? Five or six minutes of lawn mower noise?

by Anonymousreply 2906/05/2013

OMG!! Poor me!! My neighbors have the balls to COOK, and MOW THE LAWN, and DO LAUNDRY, and even--gasp--invite FRIENDS over and TALK and LAUGH!!!!! The horror!!!! I'm thinking of installing spy cameras all over their property to "get proof" that they have the raw nerve to live near me and do things other than lie silently in a comatose state all day!!!! I can surely get them put away for the rest of their lives, right????

by Anonymousreply 3006/05/2013

[quote] My neighbors use very heavily scented fabric softener sheets in the dryer, which vents from their roof & sends fumes over the fence straight into my driveway. I can't step out the back door to feed the cat, empty the garbage, water the plants, load my car, etc.

Is this the same person who complained that the neighbors cigarette smoke wafted over to their house and caused massive asthma and allergy attacks? Lol.

by Anonymousreply 3106/05/2013

You should have to listen to the landscaping activities of the neighboring estates where I live. Constant mowing, electric hedge clipping, weed whacking, leaf blowing, tree trimming, bush pruning and the neighing of horses. Not to mention the flies the stables bring into the yard.

Having to hear 3 or 10 acres mowed is a terrible headache. And all the noise from sprinkler systems and pool pumps at night, when people run them to save on the electric bill. Yikes. I can hear people cheering at the polo matches and the music from fundraising galas. Those ugly big white tents! And all the traffic from Kelly's charity fashion event in the nearby field.

You should have to listen to the landscaping activities of the neighboring estates where I live. Constant mowing, electric hedge clipping, weed whacking, leaf blowing, tree trimming, bush pruning and the neighing of horses. Not to mention the flies the stables bring into the yard.

Having to hear 3 or 10 acres mowed is a terrible headache. And all the noise from sprinkler systems and pool pumps at night, when people run them to save on the electric bill. Yikes. I can hear people cheering at the polo matches and the music from fundraising galas. Those ugly big white tents! And all the traffic from Kelly's charity fashion show in the nearby fields.

Worst of all, the sound of helicopters, seaplanes and private jets flying overhead on their way to Easthampton Airport or Mecox Bay! You people have no idea how lucky you are to merely deal with cooking aromas.

by Anonymousreply 3206/05/2013

R32, are you [italic]seriously[/italic] defending the rights of those who instinkinate (sic; self-oh, dear) the air of an entire neighborhood with their toxic chemicals over the right of everyone else who wants to breathe fresh air.

Procter & Gamble, Johnson Wax, and Philip Morris have you sucking at their teats but good.

by Anonymousreply 3306/05/2013

r28 "Why do you need proof …"

Because she put up a spite fence and I'm pretty sure she's been eating out her girlfriends in her hot tub.

by Anonymousreply 3406/05/2013

r30

Thut up, you doody-head!

by Anonymousreply 3506/05/2013

[quote]Because she put up a spite fence and I'm pretty sure she's been eating out her girlfriends in her hot tub.

How the fuck is that your business?

by Anonymousreply 3606/05/2013

[quote] OMG!! Poor me!! My neighbors have the balls to COOK, and MOW THE LAWN, and DO LAUNDRY, and even--gasp--invite FRIENDS over and TALK and LAUGH!!!!!

It's one thing if they decide to have a gathering in their backyard or patio on occasion, but when they decide to do it almost every Friday and/or Saturday night, and routinely talk at top volume until 2 or 3 in the morning, when they are surrounded on all sides (closely) by neighbors' bedroom windows, I have no problem calling the cops on them and writing letters about them to their landlord.

by Anonymousreply 3706/05/2013

It's not, r36.

Just idle voyeurism from the sanctity of my yard, specifically a camera up in my tree, aimed so as to look over her spite to monitor her shenanigans.

No harm in that, c'est vrai?

by Anonymousreply 3806/05/2013

So, whats the "proof" comment all about, R38, if you didn't intend to report on your neighbors going about their own private business in their own private back yard?

If anyone needs to be reported, it's YOU for stalking and spying.

by Anonymousreply 3906/05/2013

Jesus, is this the OP who had a hissy because someone told his little gaggle of queens to shut up in the restaurant?

by Anonymousreply 4006/05/2013

[quote]are you seriously defending the rights of those who instinkinate (sic; self-oh, dear) the air of an entire neighborhood with their toxic chemicals

If you consider cooking aromas to be "toxic chemicals" then you are one sad, fucked up mental case.

by Anonymousreply 4106/05/2013

You [italic]eat[/italic] dryer sheets, R41? Then I'd say you're the "sad, fucked-up mental case." Eat a little less Bounce, and maybe you can bounce back to lower middle mental function.

by Anonymousreply 4206/05/2013

I was talking about a different neighbor, r39.

I have neighbors on three sides in my back yard.

You must live in a trailer park, Or are a denizen of some downmarket doormanless building in New York City.

Suffice it to say, you make me ill.

by Anonymousreply 4306/05/2013

Wait till you move into a NYC coop with the house rule about 80% carpeting and just try to get the Board and managing agent to enforce it against your upstairs neighbor who are blond, 20-something drunks who come in at 2 in the morning and walk around in heels or who have loud sex while catching a sexually-transmitted disease known to medicine.

by Anonymousreply 4406/08/2013

I swear to god it sounds like my upstairs neighbors come home in the middle of the night and play basketball in 6 inch heels.

by Anonymousreply 4506/08/2013

"OP....it sounds to me that if you had studied harder, gone to college (or if you did go to college then a better college), worked harder to make more money then you would live in a nicer home in a better neighborhood not troubled by the sound of your low rent neighbors."

Are your serious? Poor and working class people have not cornered the market on being bad neighbors. For example, two extremely wealthy 'musicians', I use the term very loosely, Justin Bieber and Chris Brown, have been in the news laterly re their obnoxious behaviour towards their neighbeors. These two men live in wealthy enclaves in California. Money does not buy class let alone manners!

Basically, ANYONE has the capacity to to be an obnoxious neighbor, it doesn't matter where you live or how much money you have, anyone can be a piece of shit neighbor.

I live in an old established pre-war co-op in Manhattan, I had a neighbor from hell, he lived in the building four years before the co-op Board evicted him. Without getting into the entire story, the guy was a freak from the get go. He was unfriendly and downright hostile, even trying to say 'Hello' to this creep, you were answered with a scowl.

He took pleasure not following any of the rules, he went out of his way to make noise every night at 3AM.

It was same situation and time every night, his noise fest always started at 3AM: he'd blast super loud music, bang and move furniture and thump on the wood floors. He kept up the family under him (both people worked) and their young kids had to get up for school, which is very impossible with loud noise going on above you. He also drove me nuts, he'd constantly slam his door and this wasn't even when he was going out, he'd simply open the door and slam it. He also started verbally assaulting random people in the building.

Before you come to DL to put down anyone's financial circmstances, horrible neighbors exist in any type of community!

by Anonymousreply 4606/08/2013

It could be worse. You could be living in Venezuela were even in upscale neighborhoods it's considered normal to blast salsa and regaeton at glass shattering levels at 4 am.

by Anonymousreply 4706/08/2013

Right now, my neighbor is running a jackhammer so count your blessings. She gave no warning but that's how she is. If I was doing work in my yard, I would at least tell the neighbors when it was going to start and when it would end. She may be legally within her rights to do the things she does in her yard. But this is a neighborhood. What happened to common decency? Be nice to your neighbors because it's the right thing to do. Treat your neighbors the way you want to be treated. It doesn't take a lot of effort put a note on neighbors' doors, apologizing in advance for the uncommonly loud noise. Is that an unreasonable thing?

This particular neighbor is one of three on our street who have children. The kids are under 9. They play unsupervised. For some reason, they play in my yard. I don't have kids. These children leave trash and water balloons in my yard. She used to throw her cigarette butts by my front door. I don't want to sound like a grumpy old man but this neighbor is trying my patience. I don't want the kids in my yard because I don't want the liability. And I don't want the trash or destruction to my yard. What is wrong with people that they don't teach their children manners?

It sounds antisocial and maybe a bit unreasonable when people complain about neighbors and their noise, smells, etc. But people are assholes. Some can create terrible, irritating environments that infringe upon others. And that's just not right. So when I read these complaints that seem mundane, I understand where people are coming from. Some neighbors are special, and not in a good way. I condole all of you who suffer at the hands of your shitty neighbors.

by Anonymousreply 4806/08/2013

Sadly, even though we played in neighbors' yards when I grew up, I would not allow children to play in my yard now.

People are just too law suit-happy.

This is why I carry personal liability insurance in addition to my regular insurance.

by Anonymousreply 4906/09/2013

[quote]got "out back" to have an argument

Klassy and so typical. Cunts.

by Anonymousreply 5006/09/2013

R50, not to defend them, but they had two children. They went out back so the kids could not hear- just the entire neighborhood.

by Anonymousreply 5106/09/2013

Cant we all just get along?

by Anonymousreply 5206/09/2013

But, you won't do anything except anonymously complain on DL. So, accept it and move on.

by Anonymousreply 5306/09/2013

[quote] I can hear some cackling and I really mean cackling from my room.

Notice the OP says "my room" and not "my apartment."

He seriously does live in mom's house this time.

by Anonymousreply 5406/09/2013

The Threadgills: Fucked-up, entitled idiots. The Mom is one of those I'm-so-special-because-I'm-a-Mommy people who screetches and whines all day. Talks loudly and incessantly about 'her' nanny.

by Anonymousreply 5506/09/2013

No, R31 -- I actually like the smell of smoke, all kinds, especially outdoors where it's dissipated so as not to be over-powering. My father used to smoke pipes & cigars, & I used to smoke cigarettes & joints, so there are good memories associated with those smells -- & I love the smell of wood burning fires & BBQ grills.

But my neighbors' fabric softener dryer sheets reek of cheap perfume, so standing in my driveway or backyard is like being surrounded by a crowd of people drenched in cloying cologne. It's not a crime & doesn't reflect on their character, just annoying -- maybe I do something that bothers them too.

by Anonymousreply 5606/09/2013

BONNIE THREADGILL IS AN EVIL, ENTITLED BITCH WHO REALLY NEEDS TO GET REAL WITH HERSELF. JESUS CHRIST!!!

by Anonymousreply 5706/09/2013

My neighbors, the compulsive outdoor grillers, may be moving -- fingers crossed!

He is a high school coach and I read in the newspaper this morning that he has resigned "for personal reasons."

I took it mean he's lined up another coaching position somewhere and didn't sign his contract for the 2013-14 school year.

Don't coaches move around a lot when they have some winning seasons?

I'll be looking for a For Sale sign in the yard soon.

Excited ...

by Anonymousreply 5807/02/2013

Too fucking bad. We grill at least 3 times a week.

by Anonymousreply 5907/02/2013

What a coincidence, R58 -- my neighbors with the overly scented fabric softener are moving too!

Does DL have magical powers? Or is it just because my neighbors are having another baby & need more room?

And I don't even want to guess about yours -- a high school coach who's resigned "for personal reasons"? Hope it's something benign.

In any event, it will be nice to enjoy our yards without coughing.

by Anonymousreply 6007/02/2013

R58's new neighbors are going to be a family of accordion players.

by Anonymousreply 6107/02/2013

Are you & your clan moving in, r61?

by Anonymousreply 6207/03/2013

It's July 4th -- let the smoke clouds begin!

by Anonymousreply 6307/04/2013

What's the name of the movie @ R12, someone must know.

by Anonymousreply 6407/04/2013

The mouth-breathing internet-challenged troglodytes like r64 ruined this place years ago. If only Googling Beverly Sutphin would answer that ridiculous question.

by Anonymousreply 6507/04/2013

When a friend did his residency at Long Island College Hospital in Brooklyn, he lived in their housing on Amity Street. The smell of food cooked by East Indian staffers was so offensive four residents moved.

by Anonymousreply 6607/04/2013

[quote]mouth-breathing internet-challenged troglodytes

Thank you for describing yourself so perfectly.

What a wretched queen you are and I'll bet a face to match.

by Anonymousreply 6707/04/2013

The "oh you're poor so you live too close together" poster is funny. She must be too poor to know about living at the beach.

by Anonymousreply 6807/04/2013

My neighbors must fucking hate me.

I grill almost every day in the summer.

by Anonymousreply 6907/04/2013

Grilling a lot in the summer is A-OK provided you live a hot, humid area where everyone has their windows closed and their ACs running.

But if on a northern seashore or lake, or in the mountains, where part of the appeal of the area is the clean, fresh air, then yeah, you're a jerk. Big time.

by Anonymousreply 7007/04/2013

OMG!! Poor me!! My neighbors have the balls to COOK, and MOW THE LAWN, and DO LAUNDRY, and even--gasp--invite FRIENDS over and TALK and LAUGH!!!!! The horror!!!! I'm thinking of installing spy cameras all over their property to "get proof" that they have the raw nerve to live near me and do things other than lie silently in a comatose state all day!!!! I can surely get them put away for the rest of their lives, right????

Bought a townhouse sharing a wall with one of those comatose families. A middle aged couple (I am as well). Luxury townhouse, big money and I live next door to crazy shut-ins who keep all their blinds closed all day and refuse to be part of the neighborhood. It's been 10 years, doesn't look like they are leaving. And they complain like hell, too. Unhappiness and dysfunction at its finest!

by Anonymousreply 7112/18/2013

[quote] The "oh you're poor so you live too close together" poster is funny. She must be too poor to know about living at the beach.

My family has a house at the beach and nobody lives close together

by Anonymousreply 7212/18/2013

Does a roommate qualify as a neighbor? Well, maybe this could give you a suggestion to solve your problem, none-the-less.

One weekend, in my comings-and-goings, I noticed my roommate's door was closed the entire time. He was kept odd hours, so I assumed he was sleeping, and I kept the noise down so as not to disturb him. On Sunday night, he comes in and says he was in NY the entire time. I asked him to let me know when he's going to be out of town, and he retorted that he wouldn't because I wasn't his mother. So, I told him I was tip toeing around our small place all weekend, and would just have appreciated knowing that I didn't have to do so, and that I'd have the place to myself for my own privacy, a rare privilege. (You know your roommate situation is deteriorating if you don't bother talking about your lives to each other). ANYWAY, the next weekend, I got up on Sunday morning, my roommate's door was closed, and I played Ethel Merman on volume 8 until he came downstairs and lowered the volume. I said "oh, you're here? I thought you were in NY". He kept me advised afterward if he was going out of town.

So, OP, Ethel is your friend, use her to advance your position in the neighborhood.

by Anonymousreply 7312/19/2013

There is an alley behind my building that separates my apt complexes from a neighboring complex the next street over. A guy moved to the complex on the neighboring street a couple of years ago and he is ALWAYS OUTSIDE in the alley talking LOUDLY on his cell phone for hours on end. Or he has turned the alley into a socializing place for people to smoke and hang out for hours. (I am not kidding, he's either loudly jabbering on his phone or holding group discussions in the alley most of the evening and on weekends.)

It's really bizarre He will not go inside for the bulk of the time unless the weather is extremely crappy (which it isn't very much in LA). It's like having a TV on in the background all the time and it drives me nuts.

My neighbors have commented how strange it is that he seems to use the back alley as his living room. Some of them think he's a drug dealer. Who knows? But I've lived in my bldg for 8 yrs and for the most part it was always blissfully quiet until this joker moved in and now it's like living behind a bar. He has really ruined the quality of life for a lot of us. (Yea, Mary!) And I don't want to move because I'm getting a great deal on rent in a neighborhood I couldn't otherwise afford.

by Anonymousreply 7412/19/2013

I hate my neighbor whose car alarm goes off multiple times a day for no reason.

by Anonymousreply 7507/07/2014
Need more help? Click Here.