Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Will Smith movie gets BRUTAL reviews ....

The NY Daily News calls it the 'first bomb of Summer 2013,' a 'Hollywood disaster' and a 'crashing bore.'

by Anonymousreply 51806/28/2013

‘May cause extreme drowsiness’’ reads the flashing warning on a pain killer that Will Smith takes after breaking both legs in his new movie — a caution that applies equally to “After Earth.’’

Basically, this is Smith and his real-life son, Jaden (both affecting ridiculous mid-Atlantic accents) talking the audience to death for something like 90 minutes before the closing credits.

I’m giving it one star because Smith’s longtime enablers at Sony apparently encouraged him to whittle this humorless sci-fi epic down from a much longer movie.

The back story in the opening narration — Earth’s evacuation following a vague environmental catastrophe — is boiled down to a couple of sentences.

After starring in the sci-fi flick “After Earth,” Jaden Smith may want to rethink his future as an actor.

A thousand years later, Smith is the aptly named Cypher, a general in the United Ranger Corps, the military arm of the former Earthlings who have settled on a distant planet and produced exceedingly dull descendants.

On the verge of retirement, Cypher decides to take his 14-year-old son, Kitai, along on his last mission.

The two have a frosty relationship because, we’re told, Kitai blames his frequently absent dad for his sister’s death. I have a sneaking suspicion that the fact Cypher wears a perpetual scowl probably doesn’t help things.

A meteor shower forces their spacecraft to crash land on Earth, where Cypher and son are the only survivors in a hostile environment.

“Do exactly as I tell you, and we will survive!’’ the disabled Cypher barks at Kitai in an order that would probably sound better if papa Smith had delivered it as a rap lyric.

Most of the film consists of Kitai traveling miles on foot to recover a rescue beacon, and then, even less interestingly, trying to find the intergalactic equivalent of a cellphone signal.

There are exactly two action sequences — brief pursuit by what look like deranged orangutans, and a climactic battle with a badly executed special effect that’s supposed to represent a deadly extraterrestrial.

Eleven years and several progressively more dreadful movies after “Signs,’’ director M. Night Shyamalan would be lucky to get a gig directing traffic.

His work on this reported $150 million vanity project manages to generate no suspense or excitement. Only yawns.

Will Smith, who co-produced with assorted family members, also contributed the vaguely

L. Ron Hubbard-ish story, for what is laughably described in the press notes as a “franchise.’’

The erstwhile box-office king, who appears to be suffering from delusions of grandeur in recent years, really should stick to his day job.

Separating father and son for most of the film certainly limits the dramatic possibilities. What’s more, while Jaden Smith pulled off the remake of “The Karate Kid,’’ he’s not quite a good enough actor (or sufficiently charismatic) to hold the screen by himself in scene after scene.

We’re left to ponder how Earth remains so green and leafy when the temperatures drop below freezing every night, or why all that plant life can’t supply sufficient oxygen so that Kitai doesn’t have to rely on an imperiled supply of inhalers.

He is able to receive Dad’s overbearing self-help lectures via a communication device — which, like all the 31st-century technology on view, is surprisingly more fragile than anything you could buy at the Apple store these days.

“Fear is not real, it is a production of your imagination!’’ Cypher exhorts Kitai. “Danger is very real but fear is a choice!’’

And so is avoiding the crashing bore that is “After Earth.’’

by Anonymousreply 105/30/2013

What's a mid-Atlantic accent?

by Anonymousreply 205/30/2013

No surprise. I saw a trailer for this and it looked absolutely dreadful. Boring and stupid would be too much of a compliment.

by Anonymousreply 405/30/2013

A Mid Atlantic accent describes a phony accent that is midway between Britain and the U.S.

by Anonymousreply 505/30/2013

R3 Put down the crack pipe and move away. Put your hands in the air and be perfectly still. The men in the white suits are just going to take you somewhere safe.

by Anonymousreply 605/30/2013

I wonder what closet Scientologist superstar will be slumming the gloryholes for solace after this bomb. L Ron Hubbard might have dissaproved of his behavior BUT the homosex feels so good....

by Anonymousreply 705/30/2013

[3]--Hi,Tom!

by Anonymousreply 805/30/2013

Oh fuck you, R3.

by Anonymousreply 905/30/2013

It currently has a 17% rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

by Anonymousreply 1005/30/2013

R3 No Clamhead Boxer I would recognize you anywhere. The dark forces of Xenu can smell your rancid cunt all the way through the internet. We are watching you ,Ms Alley. The whole world knows Joan Revolta is gay BUT he's a rampaging hetty mess to you.

by Anonymousreply 1105/30/2013

Jesus, this movie looks awful. When I first saw the preview, I was not impressed. Then I found out it was directed by M. Night. That was all I needed to hear. I will avoid this one like the plague. M. Night's only halfway decent movie was Sixth Sense (and it was no classic). After Earth looks as bad as Battlefield Earth. I guess it's the duty of every $cientologist actor to make unwatchable Sci-fi movies.

by Anonymousreply 1205/30/2013

Thank you for being so obvious, R3. Sometimes it takes two posts for the Scientology shill to reveal him/herself.

There are probably better places on the web to fulfill your Scieno obligations, but suit yourself.

Xenu Xenu Xenu Xenu Xenu Xenu Xenu Xenu Xenu

by Anonymousreply 1305/30/2013

i actually was hoping it would be somewhat decent. like an updated version of one of those hanna-barbera sci-fi cartoons from the 60's (Herculoids).

apparently i was completely wrong. maybe *now* the studios will stop giving M Night whateverthefuck his name is money to direct movies. he's wealthy and can afford to sit back and do nothing the rest of his life.

by Anonymousreply 1405/30/2013

r3, it's not about racism. It's about a very obnoxious kid with his obnoxious father. Why didn't you cry racism when Smith's movies were successful?

by Anonymousreply 1505/30/2013

Of course R3 is a troll.

But the response from *some* is interesting.

by Anonymousreply 1605/30/2013

Really, I can't see this criticism as being racist. It is, in part, anti-Scientology. If Tom Cruise had done this with his son they would be after him.

I read that Wills son wants to be "emancipated" at 14 and Will is going to do it. That kid is going to have major problems in life. Smith should have made him stay a kid in the shadows fo a few more years.

by Anonymousreply 1705/30/2013

Yeah, this movie looks really bad. I usually like Will but this looks worse than Wild Wild West. It will likely be a massive hit anyway, but...

by Anonymousreply 1805/30/2013

Oh yes, R3, it's racism. Independence Day, I am Legend and Men in Black all bombed because people don't like Will's blackness.

by Anonymousreply 1905/30/2013

Sony must REALLY want another Men In Black sequel if they chose to bankroll this dead on arrival turd.

by Anonymousreply 2105/30/2013

R3 is either a very gifted troll or a complete idiot. Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference.

by Anonymousreply 2205/30/2013

About time this asshole get taken down a notch or two.

Unfortunately, this shitty movie will somehow still be a box office hit just because it's "Will Smith".

by Anonymousreply 2305/30/2013

Is Will Smith a Scientologist now? I know there's been hints about it but has he confirmed it? Instantly when I hear someone is into Scientology, they creep me out.

by Anonymousreply 2405/30/2013

LOL IRL, R3.

by Anonymousreply 2505/30/2013

I've always found the son insufferably bad and viewed his continued presence in Hollywood as proof of 1) his parents' delusions, 2) a sad reflection of the power of the clams and 3) a rip in the space-time continuum.

by Anonymousreply 2605/30/2013

Will Smith's demise and obscurity, and hopefully financial destruction cannot come soon enough for me.

The sooner he and his horrible, proud, obnoxious, rude little family disappear, the better.

by Anonymousreply 2705/30/2013

I avoid all movies/TV shows/music with ties to Scientology. My Uncle was killed in a "car accident" in the late-70s after leaving that shitty cult (after months of threats). I will never consciously support any endeavors of that church/business.

by Anonymousreply 2805/30/2013

Just fuck off r3.

Troll to stir up the[i] actual [/i]racist douchebags on this site. Thank you we don't need any more of this tripe. FFS

by Anonymousreply 2905/30/2013

The poster was right - this is his version of Battlefield Earth.

The ultimate price one pays for dancing with the devil- you have to go home with him at the end of the night.

We might finally see the beginning of the end of this meh actor.

by Anonymousreply 3005/30/2013

What's the twist at the end?

by Anonymousreply 3105/30/2013

R3 is joking. Isn't he?

by Anonymousreply 3205/30/2013

lol @R3's dumbassery.

by Anonymousreply 3305/30/2013

[quote]maybe *now* the studios will stop giving M Night whateverthefuck his name is money to direct movies.

Will hand-picked M. Night so he knew he was getting in bed with a hack. He must've figured the Will Smith charm could make up for it.

by Anonymousreply 3505/30/2013

Down to 12% on Rotten Tomatoes yet 97% say they want to see it? Clams or R3?

R3--The "people who hate a Will Smith movie are racists" argument is pathetic. Truly pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 3605/30/2013

[quote] read that Wills son wants to be "emancipated" at 14 and Will is going to do it.

If they are Scienos it might be the church that wants him emancipated. In the thread about the Going Clear book there was a link that had a video with a former church member where she talks about the church orgs not wanting them to have kids. Something about the church not wanting the expense they generate.

by Anonymousreply 3705/30/2013

Sounds dreadful. Smith has made some good movies over the years but once he had kids and foisted their spoiled asses on us, it all went downhill. This sounds like his Battlefield Earth. No desire to see this at all.

by Anonymousreply 3805/30/2013

34 I'm Black and I don't think it's racism. Will Smith is one of those people that have transcended race through his popularity the same way some athletic figures have. I do however think some people get turned off by the kid pimping though or maybe they just don't think the kid is talented and don't want to sit through watching him.

by Anonymousreply 3905/30/2013

[quote]Down to 12% on Rotten Tomatoes yet 97% say they want to see it? Clams or [[R3]]?

97% of the 44,000 people who bothered to vote want to see it. It'll probably be a decent opener though. Possibly $30-40 million for the weekend and perhaps a steep drop off after that once word gets out about its awfulness and that Will Smith is not in fact the star.

by Anonymousreply 4005/30/2013

This has nothing to do with racism. Morgan Freeman. Denzel Washington. Hallie Barry. Oh, hell, I could list a helluva lot of black stars whose movies rise or fall on a lot of things, NONE of them their skin color. Of course, someone will always pull the race card, though.

by Anonymousreply 4205/30/2013

r3 r34

Maybe the movie is just bad and it has nothing to do with race? Will Smith has gotten many good reviews throughout his career and an Oscar Nomination.

by Anonymousreply 4305/30/2013

R2, think Jerry Hall.

by Anonymousreply 4405/30/2013

I usually like Will Smith's movies, but this one looks preposterous. Like a couple of others have said, it looks like another Battlefield Earth. Jaden had better save his money and invest in some schooling, or perhaps go into work on the other side of the camera. Acting is not his forte.

by Anonymousreply 4505/30/2013

men love action movies and will force their girls to go, it will make $300 million worldwide and the reviews won't matter

by Anonymousreply 4605/30/2013

Men like action movies that star men, not little obnoxious kids, R46.

by Anonymousreply 4705/30/2013

I don't enjoy Will's acting as much as I used to seems he takes himself too seriously now. I know he wants to be a serious actor at this point but he just doesn't have the chops for it and comes of looking like a hack. He used to have a great natural ability even when being serious in a role now he's trying too hard or something.

by Anonymousreply 4805/30/2013

I refuse to watch anything with Jaden Smith in it.

by Anonymousreply 4905/30/2013

We open with a voice-over, followed immediately by flashbacks. Incredibly, with these bold strokes, “After Earth” announces it will be terrible right from the outset, and woe be upon the person who holds out hope that it will get better after the initial wobbly start. It will not get better, it will only get worse, until you’re actively cheering for a teenage kid to get eaten by a tiger (and wanting the tiger to savor every bite)

by Anonymousreply 5005/30/2013

Everyone at work (the straighties) are all excited about this movie. I think it will make HUGE bucks this weekend. They don't seem to care about the bad reviews.

by Anonymousreply 5105/30/2013

Battlefield Earth II

by Anonymousreply 5205/30/2013

How did Will Smith go from being such a likeable actor to one who isn't so quickly? To me, Johnny Depp has followed the same trajectory. They both became outsized arrogant and it comes across in their interviews. That really dampens the charm.

by Anonymousreply 5305/30/2013

r3 & r34 are obviously being totally sarcastic. I am LOL'g at him. I love his sense of humor!

by Anonymousreply 5405/30/2013

I actually liked him until Pursuit of Happyness. Something changed for me then, maybe because of all the Oprah hype.

I'm hoping all the young males flock to it so I can quietly past them to get to the new Star Trek. I hate watching adventure movies in a theater full of testosterone.

by Anonymousreply 5505/30/2013

Smith has always been arrogant and an asshole, glad to see people are finally realizing it. And that kid of his is a shit.

by Anonymousreply 5605/30/2013

The entire movie is Jaden, from what the LA Times said. But it's being marketed as a Will Smith film with a father/son theme. I thought it would be the two of them traipsing through a feral earth trying to survive together. Sort of The Road on steroids. That actually could be a cool film.

It's not. It's just the son. The annoying little pimped out son. Box office people predict a 35 million opening weekend (which is horrible for Will), and then word of mouth is going to suck. People love Will, but Jaden? Nope. And I think even not-so-sophisticated movie watchers don't like to be blatantly lied to in the marketing of a film.

by Anonymousreply 5705/30/2013

M. Night Shyamalan is still getting work off the back of The Sixth Sense?

by Anonymousreply 5805/30/2013

Has anyone drawn any comparisons to Battlefield Earth yet?

I think that totally applies to this film.

by Anonymousreply 5905/30/2013

Everyone I know is already excitedly buying tickets online. It's disgusting. They know it's going to be shit but they are excited to see it just the same. It's crazy!

by Anonymousreply 6005/30/2013

I'm so sorry for them.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 6105/30/2013

Lol, R60, it's the opposite with my friends. Everyone I know is all too willing to avoid this barker.

by Anonymousreply 6205/30/2013

Who are your friends, R60? I went to see Star Trek on Sunday night and the most of audience mockingly laughed at the trailer. That accent? The scowl? The animated sabertooth?

The movie will make about 120 mil domestic and 200 mil foreign. Great for most people, but horrible for a Will Smith summer blockbuster film.

by Anonymousreply 6305/30/2013

That's more than they deserve for such an obvious bait & switch.

by Anonymousreply 6405/30/2013

They are predicting an Oscar nomination for Jaden for this movie. It should be the first of many.

by Anonymousreply 6605/30/2013

[quote]They are predicting an Oscar nomination for Jaden for this movie.

In which category? Best Performance by an Alien in a Human Role?

by Anonymousreply 6705/30/2013

Looks like another 95% CGI piece of shit. And that Smith kid looks like he has fetal alcohol syndrome.

by Anonymousreply 6805/30/2013

I'm black and don't think the Will Smith hate is racist. I'm sure some of it is, but not all of it.

The fact is that he just hasn't made a good movie for quite some time.

And trying to force his brats on us ain't helping.

by Anonymousreply 6905/30/2013

Yeah, Lil Short Bus is NOT gonna happen.

by Anonymousreply 7005/30/2013

I think I'm like most people. I used to enjoy Will Smith for his summer blockbuster fare. He oozed charm and was easy to relate to. But once reports of his ego became rampant and once he started foisting his kids upon us all, the dislike began to set in. His charm wore off and I could no longer relate to him. BTW the same thing is happening to Johnny Depp. And Anne Hathaway.

His race has nothing to with it and insinuating it does makes no sense. Did his race have anything to do with the fact he's the biggest box office draw on the planet?

by Anonymousreply 7105/30/2013

R65 I am black and I totally disagree with you. People are offended that Will is trying to buy his kids a career on his name. I really can't think of another actor who has been so blatant with kids that young. He is a classic stage parent. Jaden has a horrid attitude and comes off as rude and arrogant. Willow is better but her song was dumb and she is in an awkward stage-I feel bad saying it but she ain't cute. To see one of the most successful African-Americans in Hollywood display such poor parenting is sad. He should be pushing his kids to educate themselves (even if they did become entertainers),instead Willow had to beg to be in school.

by Anonymousreply 7305/30/2013

No, R72. People started hating on Will since he started shoving his kids down America's throat. The nepotism just rubs people the wrong way. Add the Scieno school that Will and Jada established (the clams are DL attack catnip) and the fact that he comes off as a major ego maniac and you've got a perfect storm for DL bashing. That article of him talking nonsense doesn't help either. In any case, I disagree that he's bashed even that much compared to the likes of Tom Cruise and others.

by Anonymousreply 7405/30/2013

Totally ridiculous R72. No one hates Jaden because he's black. We hate him because he has no talent, acts like he's cured cancer because he did a remake of the Karate Kid, and has been foisted upon us because his dad is hugely famous. Ditto for Will. Will was fairly beloved until his ego started becoming ocean sized.

I promise you if one of the Jolie Pitts starts acting in films financed by their production company, and comes across smug and unduly arrogant, they would be loathed as well.

And Sandler gets ripped to shreds here. Vaughn? Vaughn used to do some funny work. He sucks now. Oh and neither have their offspring in films. So, it's a poor comparison.

by Anonymousreply 7505/30/2013

Racism my ass, R3! I am white and I like Will Smith and his films quite a bit. I have seen nearly all of his movies and I usually enjoy him in any role he plays. This "After Earth" movie reeks of stinkage, though. A turd movie is a turd movie. I didn't rush out to see Travolta in Battlefield Earth either because it looked like a shit movie in the previews. It's the same with After Earth!

by Anonymousreply 7605/30/2013

Jaden Smith is no Liza Minnelli!

by Anonymousreply 7705/30/2013

[quote]he anger and animosity directed toward not just Will Smith, but the entire Smith family, the calls for death, denigration of physical attributes, etc, strike me as bizarre and over the top.

Maybe because the Smiths themselves are bizarre and over the top.

by Anonymousreply 7805/30/2013

Bullshit $ciento propaganda.

by Anonymousreply 7905/30/2013

I love Science-Fiction and was kind of excited about this movie when I first read about it last year. I just watched the trailer. It think I'll save my money and go see Iron Man 3, Mud, Fast & the Furious 6, or Star Trek Into Darkness again. Probably Star Trek!

by Anonymousreply 8005/30/2013

Word is that Will Smith is hardly in the movie at all. He supposedly sits in a chair the whole movie and talks to Junior via radio. It's Junior's movie, not Will's. It's a shame. I would have liked seeing a good Will Smith movie to kick off summer.

by Anonymousreply 8105/30/2013

We need to stop supporting any and all clams, period. Tom, Revolta, Smith, Smith's spawn, and please let them fire Elizabeth Moss who is a downward drag on MM.

by Anonymousreply 8205/30/2013

The sun will come out Tomorrow. Tomorrow. You are only a day away.

by Anonymousreply 8305/30/2013

If DLers hated Will Smith because he is black they would hate other black actors. They don't. They hate Anne Hathaway, Gwyneth Paltrow and Tom Cruise. It's a matter of being an asshole, not of race.

by Anonymousreply 8405/30/2013

"I guarantee that most of the negative reviews are due to racism."

Yes, "racism" would explain the many positive reviews Will Smith's prior movies received.

by Anonymousreply 8505/30/2013

Scieno trolls are trying to derail online discussions of how much this film sucks by injecting "racism" into it. The DL is not the only place this is happening.

Make "racism" the discussion, not how the film is shit, the kid can't act his way out of a paper bag, Will Smith's barely in it and how it's Battlefield Earth Part Deux.

Typical Scieno tactics. *yawn*

This thing is going to tank and tank big.

by Anonymousreply 8605/30/2013

Do you think he's into anal or just sticks to oral action. Momma wants to know.

by Anonymousreply 8705/30/2013

+10 for blatant racial trolling, R88. Great extra added touches in "a world leader" (brilliant!) and "showing him the path to success."

by Anonymousreply 8905/30/2013

Some of you are probably cumming because the movie got bad reviews.

by Anonymousreply 9005/30/2013

The "twist" is that the Will Smith character is dead and L'il Smith doesn't find out until the end.

by Anonymousreply 9105/30/2013

r88

Wow you figured out the media's ultimate plan to take down Will Smith. They have showered him with praise for the many GOOD movies he has made over the years and have been patiently biding their time. The media has shown him in a positive light allowing him to become one of the highest paid actors in Hollywood so that the fall would be that much harder. They have been plotting since 1996 when Will starred in "Independance Day" catapulting him to superstardom. The last 17 years has all lead up to this, the moment when the media can finally exact their revenge against the evil black man, Will Smith.

Are you really that delusional?

Audiences love Will Smith, this is proven by the tremendous amount of money his films have made. People do not like that he is hoisting his children on the public in a bid to make them stars.

Race has nothing to do with a badly reviewed film. Maybe the film is really just not that good? Seems to make a lot more sense than the conspiracy theories you are concocting.

by Anonymousreply 9205/30/2013

Do "people" really not like Will Smith, or is it just Datalounge and other pop culture addicts? It seems to me that the vast majority of people are rather unaware of Smith's supposed turn toward hollow egocentrism.

by Anonymousreply 9305/30/2013

[quote]people don't "transcend" race

r39 you take offense if you like. and it appears you like.

transcend: to rise above or go beyond the limits of; to triumph over the negative or restrictive aspects of; to outstrip or outdo in some attribute, quality, or power; to rise above or extend notably beyond ordinary limits.

by Anonymousreply 9405/30/2013

Will this be his Battlefield Earth?

by Anonymousreply 9505/30/2013

R88 is just a Scieno troll trying to derail this thread.

The movie is awful. Jaden Smith can't act. Will Smith's talent has been sucked out of him by Scientology. This movie is filled with fucked up Scieno-babble. It's not an action film, there are only a couple of real action scenes in the whole thing.

This movie is nothing but a poorly made scam. People who like Will Smith's summer movies will go and be seriously disappointed when they get stuck with a boring, talky, clamfest propaganda piece.

Don't give Scientology your money.

by Anonymousreply 9605/30/2013

"After Earth merits comparison with 2000's Battlefield Earth, John Travolta's godawful film tribute to the sci-fi novel by Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard. Yes, it's that bad."

OUCH!

by Anonymousreply 9705/30/2013

[quote]"I guarantee that most of the negative reviews are due to racism."

Racism my ass. Will Smith is the biggest box office star in the world.

According to Rotten Tomatoes, 97% of people want to see the movie. (That's Will Smith's box office draw right there)

13% positive on the Tomatometer = Massive Stink Bomb

This is going to be Will Smith's "Ishtar"

by Anonymousreply 9805/30/2013

"Mr. Smith and his wife, Jada Pinkett Smith, are producers on "After Earth," which suggests that there was no one on the production who could really say no to him."

by Anonymousreply 9905/30/2013

"Every bit as bad as you'd fear of a movie from the writer of 'The Book of Eli' and the director of 'The Last Airbender.' Where are the guys from Mystery Science Theater when you need them?"

by Anonymousreply 10005/30/2013

You can always detect racist reviews of black actors. Positive ones are tokenism. Negative ones express racism directly.

Only middling ones are not racist.

by Anonymousreply 10105/30/2013

I liked Men In Black 3, despite Will Smith's race.

by Anonymousreply 10205/30/2013

Sounds to me like we have another Battlefield Earth type fiasco on our hands.

by Anonymousreply 10305/30/2013

Is Will's collapse complete?

by Anonymousreply 10405/30/2013

What's on Will Smith's career's iPod?

by Anonymousreply 10505/30/2013

If it turns out that it gets verified that Will is involved with Scientology, do you think it will hurt his image and effect his career?

by Anonymousreply 10605/30/2013

Mr. Shyamalan just can't catch a break can he? He's really scraping the bottom of the barrel directing this Smith family vanity project.

[quote]NYTIMES: Once upon a time, Hollywood parents gave their children sports cars as gifts. These days, apparently nothing less than a big-screen vanity project will do for Junior.

by Anonymousreply 10705/30/2013

It's going to get crushed by Fast and Furious 6.

by Anonymousreply 10805/30/2013

Jesus H Christ. The entire family is the personification of smug. And they're Scienos to boot. What's to like?

Count me among the many who used to think Will Smith was charming and funny. I thought he was great in MiB. I've never liked Jaden's sullen puss, but hate it just as much when Bieber makes the same faux tough guy pouty face.

I'm not racist for finding this family to be incredibly tiresome. As loathsome as they are, at least the idiot Kardashians have a tiny sense of humor about themselves. Not the Smiths.

by Anonymousreply 10905/30/2013

I thinks he's a top. Maybe a bottom over time, but for now, he's a top.

by Anonymousreply 11005/30/2013

My home town paper had an article on famous Scientologists and the Smiths were at the top of the list after Tom Cruise.

by Anonymousreply 11105/30/2013

You're not allowed to say that, R103. It's racist.

by Anonymousreply 11205/30/2013

Couldn't happen to a more deserving celebrity family

by Anonymousreply 11305/30/2013

Razzies galore await this pile of cinematic dung.

by Anonymousreply 11405/30/2013

They are already reporting that Jaden needs acting lessons. I'm guessing that this film is based on $cientology.

And, what is the surprise at the end? M. Night Shyamalan always has a surprise ending.

by Anonymousreply 11505/31/2013

"After Earth" is getting horrendous reviews on Rotten Tomatoes....13%!

by Anonymousreply 11605/31/2013

The clams in this thread are really tiresome. Just go away. I know lil Davey Miscabbage gave his orders but c'mon! This movie has 'Battlefield Earth' written all over it.

by Anonymousreply 11705/31/2013

Someone mentioned the surprise twist, is it for real?

by Anonymousreply 11805/31/2013

I love these reviews! So deserved. But how will the most smugly deluded self-aggrandizing family on earth rationalize it all?

by Anonymousreply 11905/31/2013

Funny!

"A forgettable slice of cinematic nepotism."

by Anonymousreply 12005/31/2013

[quote]I would have liked seeing a good Will Smith movie to kick off summer.

Oi vey.

by Anonymousreply 12105/31/2013

Clam bake:

There’s even a nod to “Moby-Dick” shortly before Cypher and Kitai’s spaceship crashes to Earth, throwing them together for the usual and less-so life lessons like: “Root yourself in this present moment. Danger is very real. But fear is a choice.”

Casual students of Scientology may find their ears pricking up at those maxims because fear and its overcoming receive a lot of play in “Dianetics,” a foundational text by the creator of Scientology, the pulp science-fiction writer L. Ron Hubbard. “There are five ways in which a human being reacts toward a source of danger,” he wrote in “Dianetics.” “These are also the five courses he can take on any given problem.” These options are attack, flee, avoid, neglect or succumb.

by Anonymousreply 12205/31/2013

R122, you just know Will likes to "succumb" to fear. Big, fat, long, hard, fear. LOLZ.

by Anonymousreply 12305/31/2013

r91, if you are telling the truth you suck. I wouldn't go see this in the theater but I would probably watch it on cable.

by Anonymousreply 12405/31/2013

I've seen it...bad as they are saying.

by Anonymousreply 12505/31/2013

@65. You need to read some black gossip websites before making idiotic comments.

Does anyone think Jaden is self-conscious about the size of his forehead? He is raising his eyebrows on almost every pic.

by Anonymousreply 12605/31/2013

[quote]R91

by Anonymousreply 12705/31/2013

Will Smith was good in two movies that I've seen.

Six Degrees of Separation, though he was badly miscast. (It's based on a true story and the real life grifter comes across as very gay and sophisticated, which might fool some chi-chi NYers to believe that he was Sidney Poitier's son. Smith came across like LaWanda Page's lost son.)

The other one was Independence Day. It was a complete steal from the miniseries V, which was pointed out jokingly in the NBC series remake of V. Still, Smith was good in it.

Everything else he's done seems to be a parody of his character in Independence Day, or his Fresh Prince persona.

Quite appropriate that he got sucked in, no pun intended, by Tom Cruise. They're both self-referential and unintentionally auto-satirical.

by Anonymousreply 12805/31/2013

[quote]Does anyone think Jaden is self-conscious about the size of his forehead? He is raising his eyebrows on almost every pic.

It's called ACTING. Sheesh.

by Anonymousreply 12905/31/2013

Jaden is a mini Tom Cruise. Boycott this movie because Scientology is harmful to your health (unless you keep quiet and do as they say). Man up Will, leave me and my lady lover alone! Lady fist,

by Anonymousreply 13005/31/2013

@129, not picture(film), every photo he takes...dummy.

by Anonymousreply 13105/31/2013

Newbs who are referring to previous posters PLEASE READ:

Let's say you want to comment on reply 34. All you have to do is write: r34

(no need to use @34 or reply 34 or just 34)

That's it. Then, fellow posters can scroll over the r34 from your post and read what was written there without having to go back into the thread!

Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 13205/31/2013

What is a clam?

by Anonymousreply 13305/31/2013

r88 can't be real can she? I am LOL'g so hard about this! [italics]Justice![/italics] ROTFL

[quote]Thank God that real people will see through this and go see the movie in solidarity with the cause of justice. My aunts and their church friends are going, even though they do not like science fiction. Because it is the right thing to do. We have to fight racism and supporting Will in this will help, no matter how unpleasant the experience is.

by Anonymousreply 13405/31/2013

Very Clammy. (for those on the short bus & new here, it means Scientology). Even kiss ass Roger Friedman says it's a Scientology film and it's total shit. Roger Friedman of all people said this!

Will Smith Movie “After Earth” Being Called out By Critics for Scientology References 05/31/13 12:10amRoger Friedman0

“After Earth,” the new Will Smith movie, is a bust. At least critically. Almost every critic and movie blogger hated, including yours truly. The movie is being cited for being dull, slow, and humorless. But it’s also being cited for referring to the text of Scientology, Dianetics.

The tag line of the film is “Fear is a choice.” It’s emblazoned on shoulder bags that were given away at the premiere the other night. Now both the New York Times and Wall Street Journal have called out Smith– who invented the story– for repurposing gobbledygook of Scientology in the “After Earth” monologues. They’re right of course. Smith denies being involved in Scientology. But he’s been closely associated with Tom Cruise. He funds a private school in Calabasas, California that teaches Scientology curriculum. And his whole “I can save the world” gestalt–humorless, un-ironic, savior stuff– coincides with his statements from a few years ago that Scientology had as much validity as the Bible.

“After Earth” is such a bore that it’s unlikely anyone will join Scientology after getting through it. Joe Morgenstern in the Wall Street Journal actually wonders in his piece today if it’s the worst movie ever made? (Worse than “Cable Guy,” or “Gigli” or “Glitter”? Hmmm….) Maybe it’s Scientology traininy osmosis or subliminal communication. Because most people will be sleeping through this interminable film.

by Anonymousreply 13505/31/2013

It's just an awful movie. I did like Will and Jaden together in Pursuit of Happyness though.

But at least Jaden seems really into what he's doing. The daughter's made so many comments about really not wanting to be a performer and wishing she could go to school and live a normal life, and her parents not letting her. That's terrible.

by Anonymousreply 13605/31/2013

The twist at the end is that Jaden Smith's career doesn't exist. It's all in his mind.

by Anonymousreply 13705/31/2013

Now at 12% on Rotten Tomatoes....this is even worse than they initially projected. No wonder the clams are clogging sites and urging people to see it.

by Anonymousreply 13805/31/2013

[quote] Joe Morgenstern in the Wall Street Journal actually wonders in his piece today if it’s the worst movie ever made?

Rupert Murdoch strikes again!

by Anonymousreply 13905/31/2013

r3 is either M Night or the hustler he picked up a couple of nights ago.

by Anonymousreply 14005/31/2013

Folks, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

There's no hiding behind racism claims or clam hate, the movie is just a turd. It could've starred Brad Pitt and Liam Hemsworth as father and son and it'd still be a turd.

by Anonymousreply 14105/31/2013

The LA Times is going to town on this. They've already published a on overview of major reviews and it's brutal.

by Anonymousreply 14205/31/2013

Im black and I wouldn't see the movie...not to say that there arent white people who wont see the movie because Will is black. But those would be very few.

I really dont understand DL 's problem with Jaden.

Anyway I would still love to have sex with Will Smith, he has one best asses in entertainment!

by Anonymousreply 14305/31/2013

This cracked me up.

[quote]Mick LaSalle of the San Francisco Chronicle wrote that "After Earth" finds Shyamalan "branching out, coming up with new ways to make bad movies. His plan must be to exhaust all possibilities so as to eventually come full circle and make a good one by accident."

by Anonymousreply 14405/31/2013

[quote]I really dont understand DL 's problem with Jaden.

Look up "nepotism". The "problem" with it goes far beyond DL.

by Anonymousreply 14505/31/2013

I'm white, love Will and science fiction, but I won't see this for two reasons:

1. It looks boring as hell. I expect to run across it on STars or Scyfy next year on a Saturday afternoon.

2. I am a bit tired of the Smiths forcing their children down our throats with big budget garbage they don't have the talent (yet, maybe) to carry.

by Anonymousreply 14605/31/2013

Nepotism and he's completely charmless. I've always found the Sr. Smith obnoxious, not charming but Jaden can't be bothered to even do that. I recall when Jaden was just a tot and Will would bring the whole Smith gang to award shows, sometimes in all matching outfits. Even then, Jaden was a sullen brat. Cut to a few years later and there he is presenting at the Oscars with Abigail Breslin. Still surly, still angry. IIRC he practically stormed off the stage before they were done. That's my main problem with the kid, he doesn't seem to have any idea how lucky he is. Or was if Scientology has its talons into him.

by Anonymousreply 14705/31/2013

Jaden seemed personable enough on Graham Norton last night. Totally inappropriate for Will to bring him on what is clearly an adult show, but he was talkative and friendly and even enthusiastic in the silly rap and dance number with Will, Jazzy Jeff and Alfonso.

by Anonymousreply 14805/31/2013

R3 is one of the most laughable troll posts of all time.

The gist is basically "criticism of a work featuring a performer of color" = "racism". So if a film features minority cast members, you're racist if you don't support it. The only reason a film with a performer of color would fail is because of racism. Critics who don't applaud every work that a performer of color appears in are automatically racist. It's also racist to choose not see a Will Smith movie.

It's almost certainly a scieno troll, too. They seem unable to hide their absurd reasoning and cockamamie logic.

by Anonymousreply 14905/31/2013

Will has a SMOKIN' hot body, and a very nice face (discounting the jughead ears). I've always liked him and even have a couple of his CDs.

I think his son has toned down the "entitled brat" thing. I saw them both interviewed on some morning talk show a couple weeks ago, and the boy was very charming and not at all arrogant like he used to seem to be. He (Jaden) even watched some old clips of himself and then said something to the effect that he could't believe what a brat/ham he used to be. It was a very sweet interview.

Will is such a loving dad - kissing his son without hesitation or embarrassment. You can tell he absolutely adores his children.

by Anonymousreply 15005/31/2013

Couldn't happen to a better person (well, maybe Mel Gibson or Russell Crowe).

by Anonymousreply 15105/31/2013

r150

$cientology Propaganda...

I guess the racist angle didn't work so now they are going with the hot daddy angle.

by Anonymousreply 15205/31/2013

Mark Harris tweeted this "If After Earth makes any money this weekend I hope there will be a headline SMITH FAMILY ROBBIN' SOME." I think that's rather clever.

by Anonymousreply 15305/31/2013

Great flame bait, R3. They fell for it.

by Anonymousreply 15405/31/2013

How is"Kitai" pronounced? It sounds like the name of a LOLcat

by Anonymousreply 15505/31/2013

Dear Will Smiff,

Hide yo kids, hide yo wife.

Thanks,

The World

by Anonymousreply 15605/31/2013

I can't wait to see "AFTER EARTH". Sometimes the critics wouldn't know a good movie if it crawled up and kissed them. I think the movie looks FABULOUS and I will give my full review tomorrow. I am sure it will be ASTONISHINGLY AWESOME (just like all of Will and Jaden's movies)!

by Anonymousreply 15705/31/2013

lol@R157

by Anonymousreply 15805/31/2013

R158 Thank you. I was just kidding. I wouldn't watch "After Earth" on a FUCKING DARE. I just felt like being silly. It's one of those days.

by Anonymousreply 15905/31/2013

[quote]...coincides with his statements from a few years ago that Scientology had as much validity as the Bible.

Well, to be fair to him, he's right about that, in as much as neither of them have any validity whatsoever.

by Anonymousreply 16005/31/2013

The movie is expected to make less than $100MM for the duration of it's run...

Weekend Predictions: Will After Earth Have a Magical Start?

Post-holiday weekends tend to feature weak releases and this time is no exception. After Earth is a film that should be a massive summer blockbuster, given its genre and its star, but the buzz is terrible. Now You See Me is the counter-programming release, but it should have a better opening than After Earth, relative to expectations and production budget. That said, Fast and Furious 6 will very likely remain on top of the box office chart. This weekend last year was the weekend Snow White and the Huntsman debuted and it earned $56 million. There's pretty much no chance any film will earn that much during this weekend. In fact, the two wide releases might not make that much combined.

Fast and Furious 6 opened faster than expected last weekend, and while the post-holiday weekend will cause it to slow down, it will likely be too fast for the new releases to catch it. With strong reviews, the film could pull in as much as $45 million from Friday through Sunday, but just over $40 million is more likely. This would still put it on pace to reach $200 million by the end of next weekend and it is more than enough to make the studio happy.

After Earth is a summer sci-fi release starring Will Smith, who used to rule the summer Blockbuster. The key phrase there is, "used to". This time last year, Men in Black 3 opened to a respectable $55 million, but it was also part of a major franchise, which is not the case here. Additionally, After Earth is not starring Will Smith as much as it is starring Jaden Smith, his son. There are a lot of people saying this film was a passion project for Will Smith in order to turn his son into an action star. If that was his goal, it might backfire. Currently the film is earning 13% positive reviews. That's a disaster, no matter how you slice it. Worse still for Jaden, a lot of the negative reviews are aimed at him. This is a challenging movie for him, as his character is usually the only one on the screen for most of the movie and most critics say he is just not up to the challenge. Expectations range from the high $20 million range to nearly $40 million. The higher end is more likely than the lower end and I'm going with $36 million over the weekend, but I don't think that will be enough to get to $100 million in total.

Now You See Me features an impressive cast, but the reviews are merely mixed. Granted, 42% positive reviews are not a selling point, but they likely won't be fatal either. Fans of heist movies or of the members of the ensemble cast should turn up. Tower Heist was able to open with $24 million in 2011, but it was also the big release of the week and not counter-programming. That figure isn't impossible, but $22 million is more likely.

Star Trek into Darkness is cruising towards $200 million and should add another $19 million over the weekend for a total of $184 million after three.

Epic and The Hangover III should be in a close battle for fifth place. Epic has better reviews and a family-friendly target demographic, which should help it out. On the other hand, The Hangover III had a faster start and won't have benefited quite as much from the holiday. I think Epic will come out on top $18 million to $17 million, but it's close enough that they could switch positions during the weekend.

by Anonymousreply 16105/31/2013

If given only two choices, "After Earth" or a close-up video of Rosie O'Donnell taking a big, stinky dump on a glass coffee table, I would likely have to toss a coin to make the choice of which to see. Both seem equally unappealing.

by Anonymousreply 16205/31/2013

You people have no idea what goes into the making of a motion picture in Hollywood. If you did, you would respect and be in complete awe of what Will and my Godson have tried to accomplish with After Earth. I know I will be first in line to see my boy Will and his boy, Jaden.

by Anonymousreply 16305/31/2013

I can't get over this glowing review of this dreck on io9.com.

But then again, any dude with the middle name of "Jane" can't be taken seriously for anything, can he? Check out his profile pic...is that a guy or a girl? Or maybe someone very confused?

by Anonymousreply 16405/31/2013

It looks like M. Night is fast becoming a second rate Uwe Boll. Uwe may as well have directed this After Erff shit.

by Anonymousreply 16505/31/2013

M. Night Shyamalan may be a questionable director, but he is one sexy looking motherfucker.

by Anonymousreply 16605/31/2013

R166 Surely, you can't be serious! Did you drop acid in the last hour or two? M. Night is one fugly bitch!

by Anonymousreply 16705/31/2013

If this movie grosses $100 million world wide this weekend, I will shoot myself. It will prove the lack of taste of the people of the world. I will be too disgusted to live.

by Anonymousreply 16805/31/2013

Some reviewers are saying this movie is worst than both Gigli and Battlefield Earth. That's a pretty scathing assessment.

by Anonymousreply 16905/31/2013

"Not since John Travolta kicked the tires on Battlefield Earth and pronounced it good to go has there been a big-name flameout as disastrous as this."

by Anonymousreply 17005/31/2013

Oh Jada, why wait until the weekend is over?

by Anonymousreply 17105/31/2013

"Jaden Smith (who was actually good in THE KARATE KID) winds up looking like a nervous child who, forced to play baseball by his father, strikes out with the bases loaded."

by Anonymousreply 17205/31/2013

This is going to be the biggest RAZZIE winner since "Showgirls"

by Anonymousreply 17305/31/2013

Just imagine the flack poor Jaden is going to have to endure back at $ciento Private $chool next fall. He'll never live down this humiliation.

by Anonymousreply 17405/31/2013

Worse than Showgirls, Battlefield Earth & Gigli. That's very bad!

by Anonymousreply 17505/31/2013

IT CAN'T BE THAT BAD, PEOPLE!!!

by Anonymousreply 17605/31/2013

Did you see this? That kid will never be an action star ...

by Anonymousreply 17705/31/2013

The critics are ANGRY.

They say the movie is not "bad" it's... "boring" and the only reason it got made was as a Will Smith Vanity project trying to shove his son down our throats as the next big summer blockbuster star.

Being subjected to Will Smith's ego bullshit is what is pissing everybody off.

Battlefield Earth, by comparison, is BAD BAD BAD. As in mind numbingly stupid. Throw all logic out the door dumb. A movie made for MST3K.

by Anonymousreply 17805/31/2013

M. Night Shyamalan looks like a human troll doll, R166.

by Anonymousreply 17905/31/2013

True R143. I'm quite sure that there are people who dislike him because he's black, but I don't think that's why the movie is receiving bad reviews from film critics. But everybody has a right to their opinion, we all perceive things differently. I'm also black and I'm just going to be honest, I find Will Smith fake, obnoxious, and annoying. His obnoxious, fake laugh (along with those dead eyes) makes me cringe. His eyes always look miserable. With that said, I'd hit it too. That ass is legendary.

by Anonymousreply 18105/31/2013

After Earth Is Will Smith’s Love Letter to Scientology

Will Smith has never spoken openly of his connections to the Church of Scientology, but they are well documented. Whether or not Smith is a devout member or simply curious about this Hollywood faith, he has visible ties to the group. In 2007, he donated $122,500 to several Scientology rehabilitation organizations. Two years later, he and wife Jada Pinkett Smith opened California's New Village Leadership Academy, a private school founded on the teachings of Scientology creator L. Ron Hubbard. Yet to this day, when asked about his own involvement, Smith suggests close friend Tom Cruise introduced him to the practices of Scientology, but that he's not a member. He's simply a "student of world religion."

The clearest evidence of Smith's investment in Scientology might be his newest blockbuster film — this weekend’s After Earth. Based on a story by Smith (and a script by Gary Whitta and director M. Night Shyamalan), the film is a father-son adventure that teams the superstar with his wunderkind offspring Jaden. Together, they traverse the dangerous landscapes of a creature-ridden future Earth. Surprisingly, what's been advertised as an Avatar remix plays out more like Battlefield Earth, another film that hews to the tropes of a science-fiction epic — just like Hubbard's doctrines for Scientology. Here’s how the film parallels the faith’s teachings:

The Movie's Villain Is Emotion "Danger Is Real. Fear Is a Choice," reads the tagline on the After Earth posters. Its vast cosmology aside, at its core, Scientology is about setting doubts and conflict aside in order to value the self. That's the main hurdle for Jaden's character Kitai Raige, who finds himself failing to measure up to his commander father, Cypher. The film is set 1,000 years after humans have departed an ecologically devastated Earth. Mankind is asserting itself as an intergalactic military presence on the outskirts of the universe. There is only one problem: Their new planet, Nova Prime, hosts a vicious alien race that feeds on fear. Luckily they have Cypher — he's known as a "ghost," a human who can suppress his emotions and the accompanying pheromones that allow the aliens to sniff people out.

In Scientology terms, Cypher is a properly cleansed "thetan," the Church's version of a soul. He's calm and collected, empowered without having to demonstrate that power. As Cypher puts it in the film, "fear is imaginary," and if a person is able to see past that illusion, they can be maximally effective. Kitai is the opposite of his father. In Church terms, he is a misguided thetan — full of rage, haunted by memories, and terrified when out of his comfort zone. He has a desire to be a hero, but it’s not instinctual. His choices are guided by what he thinks are his father's demands. Hubbard's writing has indicated that Scientology's goal is to rehabilitate a thetan's control over MEST (matter, energy, space, and time). Kitai’s journey over the course of the film is that pursuit. He must regain control over the physical world through management of his fear.

Will "Audits" Jaden Over the Course of the Movie One of the most powerful moments in 2012's The Master is when Lancaster Dodd (Philip Seymour Hoffman) "processes" Freddie Quell (Joaquin Phoenix). An interrogation meant to peel back the layers of the emotionally damaged sailor, it's a riff on Scientology's practice of auditing. The Church believes people are stricken by engrams, mental images akin to memories that cause pain and confusion. Members of Scientology are audited to rid themselves of these emotional blockades by talking through them while using an E-meter (a device that tracks electrical resistance) to measure precisely where the engrams live.

The bulk of After Earth is essentially that scene from The Master on a blockbuster scale. Following a crash landing on Earth, circumstances require Cypher to remain at a control panel while his son battles his way through the wild. Kitai can barely take a step outdoors without flashing back to a moment when he wi

by Anonymousreply 18205/31/2013

'Now You See Me' Beats 'After Earth' at Thursday Box Office

By Brent Lang

The magic-themed thriller "Now You See Me" pulled off a neat trick by edging out the bigger budgeted "After Earth" in Thursday night screenings.

The caper film made off with $1.5 million at 2,100, while the Will Smith futuristic adventure attracted a meager $1 million in ticket sales at 3,401 locations, according to studio estimates.

Neither film is projected to be crowned the box-office winner, however. That honor goes to "Fast and Furious 6," which is on track to make off with more than $40 million in its second weekend of release.

Though "Now You See Me"s' accomplishment is notable -- coming as it did on fewer screens and armed with less star power -- it did have one extra set of showings to rack up those numbers. "After Earth" began its screenings at 9 p.m. while "Now You See Me" started showing at 7 p.m.

"After Earth" is projected to finish the weekend with a $35 million haul, according to industry analysts, but it's not clear if its relatively weak showing on Thursday will mean that those estimates will need to be revised downward.

The $130-million film is being released by Sony and co-stars Smith's son Jaden. Given Will Smith's track record of releasing blockbuster event films like "Hancock" and "Men in Black" in the height of summer, the sluggish opening is surprising.

Reviews have been savage, however, and promotional materials leaned heavily on the less-tested Jaden. Moreover, even with a star as appealing and recognizable as Smith, launching an original film in a sea of sequels is always a challenge.

"Now You See Me" was produced by Summit/Lionsgate and is expected to generate as much as $20 million in its debut weekend.

by Anonymousreply 18305/31/2013

I bet it's pretty bad, but if it does well at the box office, the studio won't care.

It looks SOOO generic. I know Will Smith is a draw, but not so much that this will get huge numbers? And, while kids may know that Jaden Smith is Will Smith's son, I don't think he's a draw for them. Are teenagers or people in their early 20s going to go see this for Jaden Smith? I highly doubt it. But, you never know. Some pretty bad movies do fairly well in terms of money.

by Anonymousreply 18405/31/2013

The movie doesn't look good but someone is actually trying to make the comparison that the Smiths are like the Kardashian trash, which is absolutely insulting.

Will and Jada are famous for a reason. I agree that their two kids are pushed into the limelight, but at least they are trying to get by on talent. And the family appears to be a lot more stable than Miss Jenner's pimping out her daughter's sex tape.

I do think people are offended by seeing a highly intelligent black couple who aren't bumping and grinding for the white folk.

by Anonymousreply 18505/31/2013

R185. No. I am white and I like and respect both Will and Jada. I will not go see a movie solely because I like its star(s), so After Earth is definitely not on my agenda this weekend.

I enjoy most of Will's movies and have purchased many of them for home viewing. On the other hand, I loathe the Kardashians with the intensity of a thousand suns.

by Anonymousreply 18605/31/2013

'I do think people are offended by seeing a highly intelligent black couple who aren't bumping and grinding for the white folk.'

I disagree with that statement, R185. In most of Will Smith's big hits, not the Oscar bait ones, that's pretty much what he does but they call it charm.

This isn't about race, this is Scientology hubris. It happened to Travolta, it happened to Cruise, and now it's Smith. Who will be the next 'Messenger' to fail?

I always think of Smith like Mark Wahlberg in that they both got lucky pretending to be rap artists, somehow parlayed that good fortune into movie careers and have become arrogant, humorless pricks.

by Anonymousreply 18705/31/2013

[quote]I do think people are offended by seeing a highly intelligent black couple

Which couple are you talking about? Surely not Will and Jada. Did you not read all the nonsense Will's been spewing of late. Mostly self-absorbed gobbledygook.

by Anonymousreply 18805/31/2013

[quote]Friday Update #2: Sources tell BoxOffice that early numbers are not promising for After Earth. The sci-fi flick could end up with around $7 million on Friday, which means it might struggle to hit even $20 million during its debut frame. AE will need to do well with families on Saturday if it wants to post a stronger opening weekend. These are VERY early numbers, so a surge is still a real possibility.

[quote]Now You See Me should hit $7 million on Friday, and it's looking at a $20 million start. That would be a solid result for the magic-themed flick considering that the market is full of spectacle films right now.

by Anonymousreply 18905/31/2013

I like you, R180. Like your church group, I would far rather stand in the rain for 10 minutes than see this movie.

by Anonymousreply 19005/31/2013

Kisses, R190!

by Anonymousreply 19105/31/2013

If there is a surge, I'll be skeptical of it. That cult will probably send out their minions to purchase tickets.

by Anonymousreply 19205/31/2013

Why is Will Smith denying that he's a Scientologist if he's not?

by Anonymousreply 19305/31/2013

[quote]It’s a calamitously one-note, unpersuasive performance that’s a match to that of Jaden, a pretty teenager with jumpy eyebrows whose character remains an insufferable brat. Once upon a time, Hollywood parents gave their children sports cars as gifts.

The NY Times nailed it.

by Anonymousreply 19405/31/2013

Gettin' jiggy wit it!

by Anonymousreply 19505/31/2013

[quote]Jaden, a pretty teenager with jumpy eyebrows whose character remains an insufferable brat

I assuming that NYT writer is a DLer? lol

by Anonymousreply 19605/31/2013

The film is getting the worse reviews of all time. Didn't Will Smith see "Battlefield Earth"? Nobody is interested in seeing a $cientology film.

by Anonymousreply 19705/31/2013

[quote]I assuming that NYT writer is a DLer? lol

I doubt Manohla Dargis posts here, but it would be awesome if she did.

Alonso Duralde--who I think does post here--titled his review "Parents Just Don't Understand" which made me giggle a lot.

by Anonymousreply 19805/31/2013

The twist is that Jaden is actually dead but Will doesn't find out until the end...unfortunately, the audience figures out right away that Jaden is dead based on his one-note blank-stare performance.

by Anonymousreply 19905/31/2013

Seriously R199? That's actually the story?

by Anonymousreply 20005/31/2013

Yes, one of the characters is actually dead.

by Anonymousreply 20105/31/2013

[quote]Yes, one of the characters is actually dead.

So, one character spends the whole movie talking to a dead person? Oh, M. Night...

by Anonymousreply 20205/31/2013

Even if this movie had been great, I would not have gone to see it. I escaped $cientology (my former parents are members and I was born into it) and I still shudder from the nightmares. I will never support any movies starring $cientology members. That cult is so fucking whacked out and the members are money grubbing shit bags. They are the equivalent of Satanists. Fuck all of them!

by Anonymousreply 20305/31/2013

[quote]They are predicting an Oscar nomination for Jaden for this movie. It should be the first of many.

"They" who? Xenu and his minions?

by Anonymousreply 20405/31/2013

“In After Earth, one thousand years after cataclysmic events forced humanity’s escape from Earth, Nova Prime has become mankind’s new home. Legendary General Cypher Raige (played by Will Smith) returns from an extended tour of duty to his estranged family, ready to be a father to his 13-year-old son, Kitai (played by Jaden Smith). When an asteroid storm damages Cypher and Kitai’s craft, they crash-land on a now unfamiliar and dangerous Earth. [bold]As his father lies dying in the cockpit[/bold], Kitai must trek across the hostile terrain to recover their rescue beacon. His whole life, Kitai has wanted nothing more than to be a soldier like his father. Today, he gets his chance.”

by Anonymousreply 20505/31/2013

It was my stepson's birthday. He had to see "After Earth", so my partner and I took him to see it. We all hated it and left less than halfway through. The three of us agreed that it was the worst movie any of us had ever seen.

Luckily, we live in a small town and know the theater owners. Since it was my stepson's birthday, they fully refunded our money and told us that every single comment they had heard about the movie was that it is "a turd."

Quote me: "It is absolutely the worst film I have ever seen in my 47 years (and I have seen many, many films). Atrocious!"

by Anonymousreply 20605/31/2013

How much of a hit do theater owners take when something that's supposed to be blockbuster is such a bomb? They could have had other things on the screen.

by Anonymousreply 20705/31/2013

Charlie is a woman, R164.

by Anonymousreply 20805/31/2013

R208 ...and Lola is a man, according to Ray Davies.

by Anonymousreply 20905/31/2013

Jaden Smith = Luke Skywalker for the $cientology set?

by Anonymousreply 21005/31/2013

Even the trailer looks bad. This movie looks like the equivalent of a shart in church.

by Anonymousreply 21105/31/2013

This director is shite, he keeps getting hired coz his movies don't cost a lot to make and they make a profit when everything is factored in.

I will not even waste my time watching this crap. Maybe when it's free on cable...

by Anonymousreply 21205/31/2013

My neighbor's 15 year old kid saw it out of morbid curiosity tonight. He said he knew it was supposed to be bad going in, but he told me it was far worse than even the most brutal review he had seen of it. He's a big Will Smith fan and he said that "After Earth" was even worse than "Wild, Wild West."

At least "Plan 9 from Outer Space" offered unintentional laughs and great camp moments. Apparently "After Battlefield Earth" doesn't even offer that much. I'm glad I stayed home and watched "Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang" on Blu-Ray tonight instead.

by Anonymousreply 21305/31/2013

R213 I like that, "After Battlefield Earth", LOL.

by Anonymousreply 21405/31/2013

Will Smith has tarnished his brand. The fucking idiot.

by Anonymousreply 21505/31/2013

he is over

by Anonymousreply 21605/31/2013

A review I read on Rotten Tomatoes, so true:

After Earth is the cinematic equivalent of Rebecca Black's "Friday" - a parent-funded vanity project gone horribly wrong and thrust out into the world for the rest of us to not enjoy.

by Anonymousreply 21705/31/2013

Except, R217, Friday was pretty big hit, shockingly.

A FB acquaintance of mine just posted: Who wants to hate watch After Earth this weekend?

That made me laugh.

by Anonymousreply 21805/31/2013

[quote]After Earth is the cinematic equivalent of Rebecca Black's "Friday" - a parent-funded vanity project gone horribly wrong and thrust out into the world for the rest of us to not enjoy.

Too true. Smith has probably done harm to his ultra-privileged son with this mess, but helicopter parents don't ever seem to foresee negative consequences.

I'm still chuckling over the NY Times line that parents used to buy sports cars for their teenagers.

by Anonymousreply 21905/31/2013

I'm not quite convinced that Will Smith's career is over at this point but Jaden's may very well be.

by Anonymousreply 22005/31/2013

Jaden is getting the worse acting reviews of his career, maybe he shoud stick to rapping? Will Smith needs a hit movie PRONTO!

by Anonymousreply 22106/01/2013

Will Smith will be fine. His in that rarefied air with George, Johnny, Brad, Cruise, Leo, and Sandra. They can have bombs every now and then and still be fine.

And frankly, I like Will. When he does his normal schtick, he's fine and fun for lame summer movies.

by Anonymousreply 22206/01/2013

After Earth is being called Lost In Space. It goes to show that nepotism and Scientology don't mix.

by Anonymousreply 22306/01/2013

It's very simple, people. If idiots stop going to see Will Smith, Tom Cruise, John Travolta, they will no longer be offered films and will spare us all from the annoying commercials, talk show appearances, noisy movie trailers, etc. They will disappear and take their spawn and beards with them so we don't have to endure another generation of their cult.

by Anonymousreply 22406/01/2013

When he did publicity for his first movie (Six Degrees) and had to kiss a guy and went out of his way to say being homo is wrong, I put a checkmark after his name. I knew he was in the closet. I'm actually glad to see his movie bomb. And what's with the kid? Is this the one who wants to emancipate himself from Will and Jada?

by Anonymousreply 22506/01/2013

This is really bad...

By the end "you’re actively cheering for a teenage kid to get eaten by a tiger," writes Laremy Legel at Film.com. "I didn't plan to feel this way … but you did this to me, After Earth," by making your characters so horrifically unlikeable—one's a jerk, the other's a "nincompoop." The story, meanwhile, "stupefies us with nonsense, such little thought and logic went into this idea that it can’t even be considered a rough draft."

by Anonymousreply 22606/01/2013

Only reason I opened this thread was to see how many posts it would take to hear the cry of racism. Thanks, R3 for saving me the bother of reading any more. Idiot!

by Anonymousreply 22706/01/2013

Will lost me when he joined the Church of Scientology, same as Tom Cruise, John Travolta, etc. I have not paid to see their films since. I have never really been into other Scienos like Kirstie Alley, Jenna Elfmann, etc.

I was raised in that "church" and ran away as soon as I could (age 16). It is an evil organization and someday the government will have to step in and put a stop to it. It's another Jim Jones/David Koresh thing. It scares the shit out of me.

by Anonymousreply 22806/01/2013

r228 - Apart from being an evil cult, how is CoS like Jim Jones/David Koresh? Is Miss Cabbage planning some sort of mass suicide/murder?

r197/r221 - WORST. The word is worst. And no, he shouldn't stick to rapping. He should leave the public eye and go to school.

by Anonymousreply 22906/01/2013

Jaden is getting on my nerves, I'm picturing actors around 30 who went to Yale drama school, then worked for 10 years just to get their foot in the door...then seeing Jaden on screen.

by Anonymousreply 23006/01/2013

it's a blessing in disguise for the kid. Maybe he will go to school now or do something useful...

by Anonymousreply 23106/01/2013

Why is everyone taking their anger out on Jaden? It's not like he had a CHOICE to end up where he did today.

Same with Bieber and Amanda Bynes.

by Anonymousreply 23206/01/2013

No he didn't have a choice, R232. But unlike Bynes as a child and teen actor, I have yet to see Jaden express gratitude for the lot that life has handed him, he seems to expect it. Also, Bynes may have been pushed into show business, but her parents didn't buy her a film franchise.

I loathe Will Smith so much that I've never even noticed the great ass of his that others have mentioned. I see his face and I turn away.

by Anonymousreply 23306/01/2013

R233 That is how the child has been RAISED.

by Anonymousreply 23406/01/2013

Didn't Jaden's own sister, also raised the same way, tell her parents to let her enjoy her childhood and stop pushing a career on her?

I'm willing to give him a pass for now because he is just a kid, but I hope he gets it together eventually.

by Anonymousreply 23506/01/2013

[quote]it's a blessing in disguise for the kid. Maybe he will go to school now or do something useful...

This. But I kind of doubt it.

Look for bad clothing lines and reality TV series in his future.

by Anonymousreply 23606/01/2013

I wouldn't be surprised if we saw the daughter on the soundtrack somewhere too. The combination of Nepotism and the subtle Dianetics tropes in the film are posion.

by Anonymousreply 23706/01/2013

One thing I don't understand: Scientology teaches us that children enter the world basically as adults and have adult needs and demands. If the one who whips her hair back and forth wants to have a normal life, aren't they obligated to give it to her?

by Anonymousreply 23806/01/2013

Forbes: The Good News for the Smith Family's "After Earth" Box Office Disappointment:

[quote]The relative good news is that the film cost $130 million (not the $200-$250 million of Battleship, Jack the Giant Slayer, or John Carter), which means a strong overseas performance can still pull this one out of the red. This is a big whiff in the states (his first big-scale miss in well over a decade), but Will Smith, like Brad Pitt, is an even bigger draw overseas than he is in the states.

[quote]A kid-powered $27-$30 million debut is possible (if not probable) as the picture was marketed constantly on the likes of Cartoon Network (I speak from experience on this one, I must have seen the same spoilery ad ten times during a Saturday evening airing of Madagascar).

by Anonymousreply 23906/01/2013

I'm not sure how they expect to sell this to children if it's as dialogue heavy as the posts suggest. And bad dialog that makes no sense to children. Also not good for foreign audiences. The empty Scieno dialogue will likely bore them to tears if they're expecting an American-style action blockbuster.

by Anonymousreply 24006/01/2013

I didn't read more than the first 6 posts so far, but we saw this movie last night on a whim, not knowing about it - just reading the blurb at the movie theater. This is a movie Smith created for his adolescent. His pubescent child with fuzz on his upper lip can NOT carry a movie, but that is entirely what is intended, as the 13yo is the main and almost only character. So mostly you're watching this spindly twerp running around through jungles, always afraid of dying or running out of air, or the horrible ursa that smells fear.

The one touch I liked was the oversized vulture that sacrificed its life to save the kid's life at freezing dusk by dragging his half-frozen self into a makeshift nest and lying atop it to give him enough warmth to live, all because the kid previously defended the bird's babies from sabertooths (although he failed and they all died anyway).

The concept appealed to me, but the execution was awful. I did not mean to spend my entire movie time watching Will's little fruit act poorly. Nor did I appreciate ridiculous implausibilities like the kid being able to walk on lava rock right by the orange glow of lava. I've actually walked on lava rock in Hawaii, which was hot to my feet a mile+ away from the actual lava exiting the volcano.

I want my money back. I wish I'd seen Great Gatsby instead, or maybe tried that Mud movie.

by Anonymousreply 24206/01/2013

The Smith Family vanity project:

Directed by M. Night Shyamalan

Produced by Caleeb Pinkett Jada Pinkett Smith Will Smith James Lassiter

Screenplay by Gary Whitta M. Night Shyamalan

Story by Will Smith & Xenu

Starring Will Smith Jaden Smith

I wonder if, after the credits roll, there is a dedication to the wonderful teachings of L. Ron Hubbard. Proceeds from the movie will likely be divided into two categories. Lining the Smith's pockets and supporting their Scientology School. Sad!

by Anonymousreply 24306/01/2013

You don't really believe that those are from non-Xenu worshippers, do you r241?

by Anonymousreply 24406/01/2013

I smell Oscar!!!!

by Anonymousreply 24506/01/2013

[quote]ridiculous implausibilities like the kid being able to walk on lava rock right by the orange glow of lava.

Isn't this consistent with clam philosophy? If you put your enlightened, clear mind to it, you can do it. Tom Cruise cured his dyslexia, Kristie Alley kicked cocaine, blah, blah, blah. Is Tony Robbins a Scieno by chance?

by Anonymousreply 24606/01/2013

I’m all for "Bring Your Kid To Work Day" but this is a bit much, Will.

by Anonymousreply 24706/01/2013

R241, you have terrible taste in movies.

by Anonymousreply 24806/01/2013

R242 can't bother to read the thread but insists on crapping out her opinions - none of which are original or relevant by this time in the thread.

Shaddup.

by Anonymousreply 24906/01/2013

Huh, it didn't occur to me that mastering fear was a scientology thing. Yeah, I don't like the cult, but mastering one's fear is still a worthy endeavor. I just don't think you need e-meters or $$$ to cults in order to work on it.

But Will Smith was not calm and collected in the film, as someone said a perfect thetan would be. Even-tempered means you don't yell at your kids. Other than strict discipline and yelling at his kid, Will was emotionless and stiff. It fit the part but made him unenjoyable to watch.

Jaden was rageful?? Really? hahaha He sucked at expressing emotion. His emotions were all worried looking eyebrows. It's hard for someone who's lived a gilded life to believably express the struggle of the human experience. Jaded was a little pipsqueak who did some screaming, sure, but it was all affectation. I didn't believe for a moment that Kitai was really upset.

They probably should have consulted real doctors and scientists on facts, such as what really happens with a badly broken leg - can you just stick in a blood tube to bypass the problem? And the lava thing. And why was Jaden able to live for days without eating, still able to run all day through the jungle, maneuvering smartly away from danger?

by Anonymousreply 25006/01/2013

It must not be that bad, people. It beat The Great White Gatsby, Star Trek Into Darkness, Iron Man 3, and Hangover 3. So, suck it!

by Anonymousreply 25106/01/2013

Glad to hear he rec'd shitty reviews.

by Anonymousreply 25206/01/2013

Funny that someone asked about Tony Robbins....odd isn't it that the public hasn't seen him hawking his products in a Coon's age. Is he running from subpoenas like that other late night schlockmeister, whose name escapes me right now, but will be the center of a TV expose next week.

by Anonymousreply 25306/01/2013

Why are you people so down on Will and Jada and their kids? I worked for a major motion picture company for years and worked with Will on several films. He is loved by everyone in Hollywood and everyone on the set was in awe of him. Jada is very sweet too. Will is kind and so, so generous to the needy. He gives and gives and gives and still people outside the biz hate him.

The Smiths are the most level-headed people on earth. They love their children and they give to more charities than you could imagine. It seems like you gay people would not be bothered by the Scientology thing. Many members of the Church are former-homosexuals themselves. Ask anyone in the biz what they think of the Smiths. If you think anyone will say anything negative about them, you've got another think coming. Get over it, people!

by Anonymousreply 25406/01/2013

Having a frustrating/disappointing day? Read the following . . .LOL.

by Anonymousreply 25506/01/2013

is R254 a parody post? If not, it should be.

by Anonymousreply 25606/01/2013

Sara, I almost didn't recognize you in that troll costume.

by Anonymousreply 25706/01/2013

[quote]The Smiths are the most level-headed people on earth.

Nice parody post R254.

by Anonymousreply 25806/01/2013

Sara, what does Jada's pussy taste like?

by Anonymousreply 25906/01/2013

Wow, Shyamalan's downward spiral quantified.

by Anonymousreply 26006/01/2013

R254, Sara, and any other "former homosexuals" and Scieno members reading this post, Tony Ortega has copied for you some of the best comments from top reviewers.

by Anonymousreply 26106/01/2013

Hi, Ya'll!

Come see my movie. Daddy says it turned out real good. Mommy likes it too. Daddy told me that he took a print of it out to the Church a few nights ago and they were jumping for joy over how good my movie is. They said it is the best movie Daddy ever bought for me. Please come see how good it is. Oh,Daddy says Hi!

by Anonymousreply 26206/01/2013

Hey Jaden, What the haps? Want a car? Call me!

by Anonymousreply 26306/01/2013

"It beat The Great White Gatsby, Star Trek Into Darkness, Iron Man 3, and Hangover 3. So, suck it! "

Ah yes, isn't it wonderful that the poor debut of this supposed blockbuster managed to beat those films, some of which are on their 3rd or 4th week of release.

by Anonymousreply 26406/01/2013

[quote]It seems like you gay people would not be bothered by the Scientology thing. Many members of the Church are former-homosexuals themselves.

And there you have it.

(rolling eyes)

by Anonymousreply 26506/01/2013

R264, Wait until all of the Scienos finally get let out of their prison cells to sit through non-stop screenings; then this flick will do really fab business.

by Anonymousreply 26606/01/2013

#3 with a lead weight.

Any "blockbuster" that doesn't open at #1 is a massive fail

by Anonymousreply 26706/01/2013

After Earth will sweep the RAZZIES!

by Anonymousreply 26806/01/2013

[quote]"It beat The Great White Gatsby, Star Trek Into Darkness, Iron Man 3, and Hangover 3. So, suck it! "

Who are these Will Smith fanfags that are so invested in his box office success?

He's the #1 box office star in the world who's inflated ego just got bitchslapped. Good!

Maybe he'll concentrate on making a good movie next time.

by Anonymousreply 26906/01/2013

R269, they're clams who are infiltrating sites to pimp Will Smith.

by Anonymousreply 27006/01/2013

$27 million and #3 for a $130 million summer blockbuster is a big old flop.

by Anonymousreply 27106/01/2013

r11 ahh the return of the 'rancid cunt troll' i love your comments. short. sweet and to the point

i am an adult that want to punch that permanently startled expression off of jaden smith's face. it looks as though he woke up in the middle of something going on and has no idea where he is..

he is going to grow into an epic douchebag...

and m knight shamylan just needs to stop wasting investors money... his career was done after the village... is there an industry equivalent of the hook used to yank shit performers off the stage?

by Anonymousreply 27206/01/2013

[quote]I’m told that Will really wanted M Night to direct – even though this subject matter decidedly wasn’t in Shyamalan’s wheelhouse - and they together developed the script for a “not terribly expensive” movie. But a budget of at least $130M is hardly insignificant. Still, given the fact that Smith has made billions for Sony Pictures, the studio felt it just couldn’t say no to its most successful movie partner. Now Smith and Sony must weather this very public failure. I’m told the studio worked “really hard” to fix this crapfest in post-production and that even an arrogant know-it-all like Shyamalan was aware the pic didn’t work but couldn’t fix it on his own. ”You keep hoping people are going to be as good as their best work,” one insider told me about this all-too-familiar filmdom situation. “Sometimes some collaborations bring forth amazing results. And some are not meant to be.”

by Anonymousreply 27306/01/2013

So Jaden is 14? He looks about a full foot shorter than his father who's 6'2". If he doesn't have a growth spurt soon he's going to be a Bieber-sized adult, so no acting career as a leading man anyway.

by Anonymousreply 27406/01/2013

Jaden has little string bean legs. Ooh, I want to eat them up!

by Anonymousreply 27506/01/2013

They should have a datalounge screening of after earth, that would be an interesting experience. Boos and hisses when Jaden appears on screen lol.

by Anonymousreply 27606/01/2013

Unless this earns big money overseas, After Earth will a giant money loser for Sony. And all because they had to kiss Will Smith's ass and let him make his $130 million vanity project for his fucking kid. A $130 million toy on Sony's dime.

Stupidity and hubris all around.

by Anonymousreply 27706/01/2013

Jaden is getting ripped for his bad acting.

by Anonymousreply 27806/01/2013

Jaden wears the same Genie pants as Justin Bieber? Oh vey!

by Anonymousreply 27906/01/2013

In fairness to Sony, R277, they still figured Will Smith might have his magic box office touch. They'd be complete fools to greenlight any other Will Smith vanity project.

by Anonymousreply 28006/01/2013

Even Kim Kardashian thought it was terrible.

by Anonymousreply 28106/01/2013

Are his pants on backwards?

by Anonymousreply 28206/01/2013

Yes, it's the style...r282

by Anonymousreply 28306/01/2013

How come no one is mentioning the real disappointment?

During promotion for this movie: Will Smith looks FAT.

by Anonymousreply 28406/01/2013

[quote]'Hollywood disaster' and a 'crashing bore.'

Same as Will Smith.

by Anonymousreply 28506/01/2013

Clam @ R286

by Anonymousreply 28706/01/2013

What boggles my mind is that on Urban sites, most are convinced that THE MAN planned this bomb to put Will in his place and remind him he's just a n*gg*. I'm no Hollywood insider, and correct me if I am mistaken, but doesn't GREEN trump BLACK in Hollywood?

by Anonymousreply 28806/01/2013

To R286: Sorry, cunt, I live in the U.K. and would not be caught dead seeing After Earth at the cinema. Word-of-mouth over here is that everyone will avoid it like the plague. No one wants to sit through a 2 hour Scientology commercial. Especially one that stars Will Smith's untalented crotch-fruit. Mark MY words, R286, your beloved movie is already expected to tank over here, as well. Go back to Xenu and that midget Tammy Cruise at your church.

by Anonymousreply 28906/01/2013

r286 - Clam: even if it recoups its production budget, there's still the marketing budget. And being associated with a POS like this is NOT going to help Will Smith's reputation.

by Anonymousreply 29006/01/2013

R288 Don't they realize that THE MAN did not have anything at all to do with After Earth. The movie was produced by Will & Jada, written by Will, and stars Will. I am a black man and I want to throw up every time I hear shit like this. Besides, almost every white person I know loves Will Smith. No one wants to see him fail, especially the bigwigs in Hollywood. Green backs far outweigh prejudice here.

People want this movie to fail because it is Scientology propaganda and is a vehicle to thrust his son (of limited talent) onto the public. Jaden is probably a good kid, it's not personal.

by Anonymousreply 29106/01/2013

It sucked, r292. I mean, it SUCKED. With teeth. Green teeth sucked.

It made Batttlefield Earth look like Battleship Potemkin.

by Anonymousreply 29306/01/2013

Are the clams aware that a Jesse Eisenberg vehicle is kicking AE's ASS at the moment?

by Anonymousreply 29406/01/2013

"It made Batttlefield Earth look like Battleship Potemkin."

OOh, good one.

On the off chance that R286 is not in the clam business, she should remember that Will Smith isn't in it, and when his fans find out, they'll stay away.

by Anonymousreply 29506/01/2013

Sorry, R286. "After Earth opened to $9.8M Friday (including $1M from 9 PM Thursday late shows and Friday midnights) for a $27.2M weekend, way less than the high $30sM to low $40sM which Sony was predicting."

As you Clams say, "THIS IS TRUE."

by Anonymousreply 29606/01/2013

R296, Interesting that the article you quoted emphasizes Morgan Freeman as a draw in Now You See Me. I prefer Freeman as an actor; I wonder if Black audiences will follow suit.

by Anonymousreply 29706/01/2013

Will Smith is the greatest actor of all time, so any movie with him in it is already one of the greatest ever. He is such a wonderful family man, which is so rare in Hollywood these days. You can tell he and Jada really have a marriage that works, and they've passed their talent on to their two gorgeous children.

Despite the racist reviews, I will see "After Earth" with an open mind. I just know it'll be another great Will Smith movie!

by Anonymousreply 29806/01/2013

I saw Jaden and Will on "Graham Norton" promoting this piece of shit.

Jaden seemed a bit hyper, overly enthusiastic, trying desperately to pimp the movie at every moment. I think the constantly raised eyebrows are his attempt at his father's "look" but he fails miserably. He also lacks his father's easy delivery of lines both on and off-screen. The kid's just trying too hard.

Will Smith, a modestly talented man who used to be charming, has thrown away his career and his life for the lies of an international scam "church" Scientology. It's a shame.

The clams will pack the theaters this weekend, trying to salvage this turkey. They make their members go over and over and over again so that ticket sales look better. Naturally their little slaves - er.. members - have to pay for it out of their own pockets.

So - Smith's out - who will play President Obama now?

by Anonymousreply 29906/01/2013

Worst. Movie. Evah!

by Anonymousreply 30006/02/2013

Little Willy, Willy won't go home, but you can't push Willy 'round, Willy won't go.

by Anonymousreply 30106/02/2013

The Will Smith blockbuster After Earth is on course to be the box office bomb of the summer after being slammed by US critics and underperforming in cinemas on its opening day.

According to official figures, the sci-fi epic, directed by M Night Shyamalan, took between nine and $10m at the US box office - only a fraction of its predicted gross. By contrast, Smith’s 2012 summer blockbuster Men In Black 3 scored an opening weekend of $55m when it was released on Memorial Day last May.

The actor’s other recent efforts have also started strongly, with Hancock opening to $62.6m in 2008 and I Am Legend scoring an opening weekend of $77.2m in 2007. However After Earth - in which Smith shares the screen with his son Jaden - has not been helped by universally negative reviews.

Will Smith may be one of Hollywood’s most bankable action stars, but his new film, “After Earth,” in which he stars with his 14-year-old son Jaden, opened to horrid reviews from critics and faced stiff competition in a busy box office weekend.

by Anonymousreply 30206/02/2013

Will Smith is the black version of his fellow Scieno Tom Cruise. He plays the same bland character in every fucking movie. Absolutely no range as an actor. How Cruise and Smith have had such long-lasting careers is beyond me. I cringe when I watch them on film. Poor Jaden is even more wooden than Will. As far as Scienos, at least Travolta can act when he tries.

I would love to bend Xenu over and fuck him right up the ass while Cruise and Smith scream out in their best Darth Vader voice, "Nooooooo!"

by Anonymousreply 30306/02/2013

Just a vanity project for Will's golden offspring. So embarrassing the degrees this family will go to make the whole family famous.

by Anonymousreply 30406/02/2013

I smell Clam Sauce at 305.

by Anonymousreply 30606/02/2013

Sara = pimply, unattractive, farting, nose-picking, unloved and untalented, non-bio "progeny" of the impotent and infertile Tammy Cruise --> "Bella Cruise." She probably smears her boogers on her iPhone keys as she texts her clam friends in barely literate language.

[quote] Bella swears like a sailor, burps & farts in front of people without excusing herself, picks her nose while she sits in the Rose Garden Cafe texting her idiot friends, makes fun of wogs (people who aren’t Scilons), and more – basically she acts like a typical fucking Sea Org member, and we should know! She’s pretty gross & we go out of our way to not have to talk to her because she smells bad & picks her nose. Gross!

Here's the unattractive green-haired cunt again, doing her best to sink any fashion line her batfrickingbatshit father tried to get her involved in.

Won't it be weird someday when she might have to acknowledge that Nicole and Keith weren't such fuckers?

by Anonymousreply 30706/02/2013

I'll bet good money that Sara, R305, has a really stinky pussy. It smells suspiciously like Clam Chowder gone rancid.

by Anonymousreply 30806/02/2013

Hey Sara, where's Shelly Miscavige?

by Anonymousreply 30906/02/2013

It's getting a 100% Fresh rating at RottenClamatos.com!

by Anonymousreply 31006/02/2013

I saw After Earth 3x last night. Best movie of the year next 2 Oblivion. Fuck tha haterz. Will is back, baby! The FX are the best I hav ever seen and the acting is really good. IMHO, it's great. Don't listen to the Weak-Oblivious-Germridden-Slime out there that are haterz. Fear is a choice. Stand up and have no fear. Go see After Earth.

by Anonymousreply 31106/02/2013

The best Will Smith performance was in "Gettin' Jiggy with my Bros" - stellar performance!

by Anonymousreply 31206/02/2013

R312, LOL!!!! Love it!

by Anonymousreply 31306/02/2013

Sara, the orgs are empty all over the world. The stats are faked...

by Anonymousreply 31406/02/2013

We should discuss some of those OT-III revelations about the more bizarre teachings of the clam cult.

I don't think the low-level clams are allowed to get anywhere near the OT-III shit.

by Anonymousreply 31506/02/2013

Who farted?

by Anonymousreply 31706/02/2013

I went to see Star Trek today. No one was in the theater where After Earth was playing. Not a single person.

by Anonymousreply 31806/02/2013

Freeloader debt is legally unenforceable. People who blow are getting their money back!

by Anonymousreply 31906/02/2013

One thing you can say about this movie: it's made everyone forget about Willow. WHET to Willow Smith and her hair?

I hate Will Smith because he is a scientologist. I hate everything he does career-wise because he supports an evil organization. I hate his children because they will just perpetuate the Scientology.

I don't care what color his skin is. He's a piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 32006/02/2013

From Wikipedia:

[quote]Xenu (/ˈziːnuː/ zee-noo),[1][2][3] also spelled Xemu, was, according to Scientology founder and science-fiction writer L. Ron Hubbard, the dictator of the "Galactic Confederacy" who, 75 million years ago, brought billions[4][5] of his people to Earth (then known as "Teegeeack") in a DC-8-like spacecraft, stacked them around volcanoes and killed them using hydrogen bombs. Official Scientology scriptures hold that the essences of these many people remained, and that they form around people in modern times, causing them spiritual harm.[1][6]

These events are known within Scientology as "Incident II",[7] and the traumatic memories associated with them as "The Wall of Fire" or the R6 implant. The narrative of Xenu is part of Scientologist teachings about extraterrestrial civilizations and alien interventions in earthly events, collectively described as "space opera" by Hubbard. Hubbard detailed the story in Operating Thetan level III (OT III) in 1967, warning that the R6 "implant" (past trauma)[8] was "calculated to kill (by pneumonia, etc.) anyone who attempts to solve it".[8][9][10]

by Anonymousreply 32106/02/2013

R203 = Suri Cruise

by Anonymousreply 32206/02/2013

R311 = John Travolta

by Anonymousreply 32306/02/2013

R316 = L Ron Hubbard's Brain, Floating in a Jar at Gold Base

by Anonymousreply 32406/02/2013

R324, Is that a joke or are you serious?

by Anonymousreply 32506/02/2013

I've read rumors that he's cryogenically frozen or some nonsense. These people are total lunatics and I love that the only group capable of beating them back are the bitches at DL. GOD SAVE THE BITCHES AT DL!

by Anonymousreply 32606/02/2013

"in a DC-8-like spacecraft"

How very...1950s.

(And people wonder why LRH is considered such a hack...)

by Anonymousreply 32706/02/2013

For those who have seen it, I have a question: is the film supposed to be aimed toward a kid or young teen audience, by any chance? Or is it just all around bad?

by Anonymousreply 32806/02/2013

R327, Someone close to me was involved with LASFS, the Los Angeles Science Fiction Fantasy Society, whose "stars" were very popular SF writers at the time. Some even later wrote for the original Star Trek. Hubbard brought what would become Dianetics to the group for a review. He was laughed out of the group; it was so bad and totally unscientifically based. He then claimed he could make it into a bestseller in spite. LOL

by Anonymousreply 32906/02/2013

R311 = Bella Cruise. No doubt.

by Anonymousreply 33006/02/2013

Here's what I don't get about the Clam Shills. I trolldar'd them. So, I know they aren't Dlers being funny. They single post.

Why don't they spend a few minutes learning how to speak our language and be a bit clever about their shilling? Clams, we here on the DL are horrible, mean, spiteful, often dangerous. But we're clever. And we expect the same in return. Make us love you. Make us LOVE you. Like Will Smith in that film where we all love him...well, bad example.

by Anonymousreply 33106/02/2013

HA, HA

[bold]Will Smith's 'After Earth' bombs at US box office[/bold]

[quote]Sony's After Earth, starring Smith opposite his son, Jaden, and directed by M. Night Shyamalan, took in $27 million in its North American debut, compared to $28.1 million for Now You See Me, from Summit Entertainment.

by Anonymousreply 33206/02/2013

This invasion of the shills is hysterical.

But then everyone loves a good clam bake.

by Anonymousreply 33306/02/2013

r331, they don't love us, why would they want us to love them? We are "wogs", "degraded beings" and "1.1 on the tone scale." They aren't allowed to think for themselves, much less read and interpret where they're posting. If they read the other comments they might see some "entheta".

by Anonymousreply 33406/02/2013

The clambot posts are hysterically funny.

by Anonymousreply 33506/02/2013

[quote] Why don't they spend a few minutes learning how to speak our language and be a bit clever about their shilling?

If they were capable of being clever, do you think they'd be working as clams?

by Anonymousreply 33606/02/2013

27 million this week end ? Tsk! And to think that Gatsby open at 50 million ... They made less than a Fitzgerald adaptation that got lukewarm reviews, where the narrator reads out loud, where the action takes place in living rooms. That gotta hurt.

by Anonymousreply 33706/02/2013

Why does the studio think it will clean up overseas? Bad movies fail all around the world. It seems kind of insulting to say foreign audiences will like it.

by Anonymousreply 33806/02/2013

On Wendy's old radio show, every time Will's or Jada's name came up a background recording would say "how you doin'?" It was so funny that it was being said without actually being said. I miss that element on her tv show.

by Anonymousreply 33906/02/2013

Remember folks, last year "Battleship" did less than stellar business in the U.S. but really raked in overseas. "Battleship" was regarded as a domestic flop but it more than made its money back, thanks to the Europeans.

The Europeans will also make "After Earth" as smash hit. They are far more cultured and intelligent than many of the people in North America. They are already salivating for the film overseas. Will Smith is even bigger over there than he is here. "After Earth" will likely bring in $250-300 million in U.S. dollars in Europe. Hide and watch.

by Anonymousreply 34006/02/2013

I don't remember "Battleship" at all. You're first thought with that title is, maybe it's a movie version of the board game. And you think, no, how could they make a movie out of a dumb game like that. They did, and spent over 200 million on it!

It made 300 million worldwide, but how much did they spend on promotion? Anyway, it got slaughtered by the critics but was simple enough to translate well to foreign languages apparently, and that saved it.

by Anonymousreply 34106/02/2013

After Earth is a $230 million investment ($130 million production, $100 million in marketing). It's a disaster.

by Anonymousreply 34206/02/2013

R340, Overseas, can audiences get their money back if the walk out on a movie, because it's a total stinker?

by Anonymousreply 34306/02/2013

"The Europeans will also make "After Earth" as smash hit"

Nope - "The Europeans" aren't going anywhere this pile of jobbies.

by Anonymousreply 34406/02/2013

^ anywhere near

by Anonymousreply 34506/02/2013

I heard that overseas, in Islamic countries, if you walk out of the theater in the middle of the film you can get you head chopped off by the theater owner for being disrespectful. That's why shitty movies make money over there.

by Anonymousreply 34606/02/2013

R185 - "Will and Jada are famous for a reason"

Will - yes, without question.

Jada - married to Will, otherwise WTF?

by Anonymousreply 34806/02/2013

R346, that's not logical. If you walk out of a movie partway through, you've already paid for your ticket.

by Anonymousreply 35006/02/2013

So you are admitting Will and Jaden are Scientologists? That's more than they are willing to do. And Europeans are not stupid, they have access to the internet and can avoid poorly made films.

by Anonymousreply 35106/02/2013

r349, stfu clam. True and logical answers? It's explicitly anti-gay, how dare you promote a homophobic organization on gay turf. Eat shit and die.

by Anonymousreply 35206/02/2013

[quote]I am not a Scientologist but I am aware of its superiority over other religions. It's the only one that has true and logical answers.

It's hard to know truth and logic when your head is stuck in your anus, lying clam.

by Anonymousreply 35306/02/2013

I saw on some entertainment show that Jaden was hanging around one of the younger Kardashian girls but it looked like he wasn't even interested in her. Just a publicity ploy, this kid has got to go!

by Anonymousreply 35506/02/2013

Obviously the clams have found this thread and are spamming the hell out of it. Not even subtle.

by Anonymousreply 35606/02/2013

I didn't really believe that the clams were astro-turfing until now. Who else would doggedly defend this awful movie?

by Anonymousreply 35706/02/2013

r349 = clambot

by Anonymousreply 35806/02/2013

[quote]all the connections in the world won't put a child in a film if they can't act

That explains why none of us have ever seen an untalented child in a movie.

by Anonymousreply 35906/02/2013

Ah, a lot of people deserve success and don't get it. Did George W. Bush deserve success? Certainly not.

To defend people who are giving in, to being blackmailed by a disgusting cult? I can't approve of that. Will and Jada should be ashamed.

by Anonymousreply 36006/02/2013

[quote]People, connections in the movie business mean nothing if the child has no talent.

Very true!

by Anonymousreply 36106/02/2013

r347, r349, r354 - Thanks for the laugh.

The clams are showing themselves to be a bunch of mindless nincompoops.

by Anonymousreply 36206/02/2013

The $cienos on this thread sound so frustrated that reality isn't conforming to their expectations. A few things, clams:

1)Home video is a fraction of the market it once was and cannot save this film.

2)Sony had to do what Smith wanted with this film (cast Smith's untalented son) because of Smith's previous successes.

3) This may do okay overseas but it is bomb domesticslly and it will take several hits for Smith to recover his reputation, if he ever does.

4) Why aren't you mad that Smith doesn't claim membership in your "true and logical" cult?

by Anonymousreply 36306/02/2013

Why would someone lie about being part of a "religion" they really believe in?

If being a clam is so great, why won't Will and Jada come out publicly and say they're clams?

I don't really care about Jada and this awful Jaden kid but Will Smith used to be talented. He'll end up like poor John Travolta - dying to get out of the cult but unable to leave because of the blackmail materials they have on him.

Scientologists are such vicious, untrustworthy slime.

by Anonymousreply 36406/02/2013

R354, I wondered why you capitalized the first letter in each of the words 'We Only Get Success.' Then I realized, you're calling us WOGS. Almost clever, Clam-ity Jane! Say hi to Tom and John for us, Lovey!

by Anonymousreply 36606/02/2013

Another highly believable clam-tale at r365. Who goes to a movie they expect to be awful? Expecting it to be awful is why you don't go to a movie. You clams need to study normal people better if you have any hope of fooling anyone.

by Anonymousreply 36706/02/2013

For this to be such a bad movie, you bitches sure are talking a lot about it.

by Anonymousreply 36806/02/2013

Now this is a story all about when My soul got infested by space aliens And I'd like to take a minute, just lean back and sit I'll tell you how I came to believe in some really stupid shit.

In a studio in Hollywood, young and brash On a sitcom is where I made most of my cash Chillin' out, acting and raking in the green Making movies and a TV show that everyone's seen Till a couple stars, they were up to some shit Got me to read Dianetics and I was diggin' it I got in one little chat with my man Tom Cruise He said, "If you get with Scientology you just can't lose!"

I paid for an audit, and when I was read It said I had all kinds of thetans and engrams in my head If anything, I could say these guys had no cred But I thought, "Naw, forget it. I wanna get ahead!"

I pulled up to the Centre about 7 or 8 And I yelled to my friends, "Yo SPs, smell ya later!" I looked at my e-meter, and it started to beep To guide me on my path as a new Scilon creep.

by Anonymousreply 36906/02/2013

I was just as pleasantly surprised as you R365. I am recommending After Earth to everyone. I am excited to see it again. Gotta go get back in the ticket line. The movie is so good I can't wait to get back into the theater. I'm giddy!!!

by Anonymousreply 37006/02/2013

Why would Will Smith have any interest in Scientology? He's been a huge star for years.

by Anonymousreply 37106/02/2013

Damn r370's lame. It's probably the same clam deleting cookies and coming back every 10 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 37206/02/2013

this thread is filled with delusion.

the movie looks horrible.

will smith is over.

that linked interview shows how DELUDED he and his kin truly are.

his involvement in Scientology REEKS.

most of the world is happy that this over-rated bitch and his entitled spawn are over.

and that religion (like all) is SCARY. I really mean to say that only DIM BULBS and insecure minds would join it.

by Anonymousreply 37306/02/2013

This thread is beyond creepy, just like Scientology. I don't understand why we don't pull a France and ban this cult from America once and for all. We already have enough wack job religions here, we don't need an upstart shuffling their way in. Not to mention Scienos are incredibly homophobic and think being gay is a detrimental weakness that one must overcome. FUCK YOU.

by Anonymousreply 37406/02/2013

I keep thinking that the pro-AFTERbEARTH posts are clever parodies of zombie-clam-bytes, but then I wonder if people actually are posting from the dark side.

Let's take a look at the arguments presented, in abbreviated form:

R347: The movie will make money. The DL is anti-religious.

R349: Fate will hurt people who don't like AFTERbEARTH. $cientology is big and strong. It is unforgivable to say bad things about Jughead Jaden.

R354: Jughead is great! You're jealous not to like him. Jughead is great! Fate rewards the deserving. You're stupid if you don't like Jughead.

Yup - Zombie-Clams 'R' Us. The posts are too brilliantly stupid, programmed, jargonized and scripted to be trollery.

WE HAVE AN INFESTATION!!!! Root them out!

by Anonymousreply 37506/02/2013

Thanks for the laugh r365

by Anonymousreply 37606/02/2013

I saw After Earth at a matinee today. The theatre was about three quarters full. It started slow, but picked up steam. It was a great summer movie. It had great effects, the acting wasn't that bad--the kid is a kid, after all. The audience was cheering at his triumphs. After it ended, people were smiling as they left. I stopped in the rest room, and found that my penis had grown in length and girth--just from this uplifting film! My wife had lost 20 pounds in just one viewing! And I found $300 next to my car in the parking lot.

You owe it to yourself--and your penis--to see this fantastic film.

This is true.

by Anonymousreply 37706/02/2013

[quoe]For this to be such a bad movie, you bitches sure are talking a lot about it.

There are plenty of bad movies.

This one is an ego project by the #1 Box office star in the world who tries to shove scientology and his son down everyone's throats

It's failure is to be celebrated.

by Anonymousreply 37806/02/2013

I don't believe the critics I saw the trailer and it looks amazing. I think the critics have something against Will and Jaden Smith, and M. Night Shyamalan and don't want the film to be a success so they are critiquing it badly so you won't go see it. Judge from the trailer, if the trailer makes you want to see it then do. Don't let a bunch of bigots tell you what to spend/not spend your money on. Fear is a choice.

by Anonymousreply 37906/02/2013

[quote]Fear is a choice.

So is being brainwashed by cults.

by Anonymousreply 38006/02/2013

This is a real nice clambake.

by Anonymousreply 38106/02/2013

And then R370 pipes in. Now, that one could be a fake. The ending is too pat, with the movie slogan dropped in, and likely not to be on the "$cio Film Defense Tip Sheet." TRUST THE BRILLIANT TRAILER" is rather transparent.

But declaring that it's "bigots" who are trying to irreligiously deny the movie the success it deserves is just about twisted enough to be real. And correctly spelling Shymalymadingdong's name is suspicious. Like read from the script.

I'll go with authentic Zombie-Clam for this one.

by Anonymousreply 38206/02/2013

HUBBARD COMMUNICATIONS OFFICE Saint Hill Manor, East Grinstead, Sussex HCO BULLETIN OF 4 MAY 1968 CONFIDENTIAL AO ONLY III Packets CHARACTER OF BODY THETANS Body thetans are just thetans. When you get rid of one he goes off and possibly squares around, picks up a body or admires daisies. He is in fact a sort of cleared being. He cannot fail to eventually, if not at once, regain many abilities. Many have been asleep for the last 75 million years. A body thetan responds to any process any thetan responds to. Some body thetans are suppressive. A suppressive is Out of Valence in R6. He is IN valence in Inc I almost always. One can’t run a human being on these two incidents since human beings are composites and would not be able to run the lot. Aside from that non-clears are away below an awareness required to even find these incidents. Huge amounts of charge have already been removed from the case and the body thetans by Clearing and OT 1 and OT 2 to say nothing of engrams and lower grades. Awareness is proportional to the charge removed from the case. All though a human being is a composite being there is only one I ( that is you ) who runs things. Body thetans just hold one back. You will continue to be you. You, inside, can of course separate out body thetans and so solo auditing is the answer. How good do you have to be to run body thetans off ? Well, if you didn’t skimp your grades, clearing and OT 2 particularly, you should be able to command body thetans easily. L. RON HUBBARD FOUNDER LRH: lw Copyright (c) 1968 by L.Ron Hubbard ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

by Anonymousreply 38406/02/2013

[quote]why is sweet Jaden so important?

What emotion is out there, so strong, and so compelling, that is driving grown adults here to end the career of a 14 year old? Who means nothing to you? Why cant we live and let live?

Omg, my sides!

by Anonymousreply 38506/02/2013

Two words R383 ... NO TALENT. Get it?

by Anonymousreply 38606/02/2013

I don't like Jaden because Will Smith and Jada Pinkett are his parents. They are two of the most egotistical people on the planet. I don't like Gwyneth Paltrow or Julia Roberts for the exact same reasons. Arrogance and obliviousness to reality are not attractive traits.

Another reason is because I find Scientology to be a repugnant cult and anything that damages or embarrasses them brings me great joy just like with any religion. I AM Anti-Religious and PROUD. Especially when the "religion" was pooped out of L. Ron Hubbard's ass to make MILLIONS off of weak minded fools.

Third, Jaden is not a sweet, innocent kid. He is arrogant and famewhoring just like his parents taught him to be. The fact that he is besties with Justin Bieber and Kylie Jenner speaks volumes about this kid's taste level. Scum attracts scum.

by Anonymousreply 38706/02/2013

LOL That turned out funny, sorry R6 - I'm sure you're not out of valence (whatever the fuck that means.)

by Anonymousreply 38806/02/2013

R383, thank you for getting to the fact that this is not race-driven. It really isn't.

I think what is driving the heat and fun is complicated. Schadenfreude is a part of it - seeing the ones at the top take a topple always is gratifying. It's not envy only. It's a sense of balance being restored.

But the zeal comes from the smugness and poor PR that the Smiths have been brewing for the last few years. The kind of craven "we are so great" message presented over and over is offputting and rather disgusting.

Also, the falsity of the family's show is evident not only to people who know the Smiths' M.O. but to more-casual-but-acute observers. That the happy-family presentation is only a money grab is offensive.

The connection to $cientology also inevitably repels most people. The jig is up for this insane and criminal pyramid-scam power and cash conspiracy masquerading as a sect. People know better. And as soon as the Smiths sidled up to Tammy, their reputation was set to be shattered.

Add that either true-believing zombie-clams or clever imitators are posting here, and you have a recipe for a sustained thread.

That the movie apparently is very bad, connected to $cio crap, a vanity piece, and a transparent and clumsy push to make this rather nasty little brat a moneymaker - according to a timeline that must have come from a Ouija board - ensured that the DL and other social and cultural critics would have a field day. It is all too shockingly stupid to pass up.

Now, if this all is too much for you to grasp, simply let it go, because if you don't understand the appeal of pounding nails into the intersection of hubris and camp, you won't get it. And you won't get the DL.

by Anonymousreply 38906/02/2013

[quote]Now, if this all is too much for you to grasp, simply let it go, because if you don't understand the appeal of pounding nails into the intersection of hubris and camp, you won't get it. And you won't get the DL.

So well expressed, had to quote.

by Anonymousreply 39006/02/2013

Better to deflate the kid's ego now than have to deal with him when he's an adult.

There's also the fun of poking fun at the hubris of the father who thinks he can buy his son a movie career.

Like the NY Times reviewer said, rich parents used to buy sports cars for their spoiled offspring.

by Anonymousreply 39106/02/2013

The movie’s climax takes place on a volcano that could have been ripped right off the cover of Dianetics, the look is so similar. In Scientology, the volcano is a common thread through many different teachings. This image was used not only on the cover of Dianetics, but has also been used in many of Scientology’s TV ads over the years.

by Anonymousreply 39206/02/2013

R389 can come sit next to me.

by Anonymousreply 39306/02/2013

The NYT is flat-out referring to the movie as $cientology-tinged. I think this entire movie will deal a body blow to Smith's career.

To the clams: Don't you DARE come to a gay site and call gay men and women who object to your cult, which pathologizes homosexuality, "bigots." Fuck you and get out of here. You're weak-minded fools. I hope you get help.

by Anonymousreply 39406/02/2013

My bf begged to go to an early screening we were invited to, so I've actually seen the film.

The person behind me afterwards said: "Not as bad as I thought it was going to be."

Damning faint praise, to be certain, but I agree.

It is FAR from the worst movie ever made.

Not to say it is good. But the powers-that-be got that sucker whittled down to 90 minutes, so if nothing else, it's a fast fail. The worst movies are typically far longer and far more pretentious.

The acting is atrocious. Ghastly. Not only is Will Smith absolutely charmless in this film (and I think he has a natural ease and charisma), he's also losing his looks. Age is not going to be his friend.

Age isn't Jaden Smith's friend either. His accent is bewildering, and he too is charmless. Definitely incapable of shouldering an entire film. He squints and whines, and that's considered acting in this movie.

All that said, parts of the film work as they're supposed to, with a few moments of genuine artistry tossed into the flotsam and jetsam. And for that reason alone, and the film's brevity, it's not even a candidate for worst film ever made.

by Anonymousreply 39506/02/2013

Famous Clams: Tom Cruise, John Travolta, Kirstie Alley, Priscilla Presley, Lisa Marie Presley, Brandy, Nancy Cartwright (Bart Simpson's voice), Chick Corea, Danny Masterson, Laura Prepon, Giovanni Ribisi, Jason Lee, Mimi Rogers, Anne Archer, Jenna Elfman, Katie Holmes, Juliette Lewis, Leah Rimini, Karen Black, Kelly Preston, Judy Norton-Taylor, Isaac Hayes, Rob Thomas, Beck, Chaka Kahn, Sonny Bono, Jeffrey Tambor, .

Rumored to be Clams: Will, Jada Smith & Family, Bernadette Peters, Jerry Seinfeld, Nicole Kidman, Shirley MacLaine, Amy Heckerling, and many more.

by Anonymousreply 39606/02/2013

Hank Kingsley is a scientologist? Noooo!

by Anonymousreply 39706/02/2013

I don't think Katie ever officially became a member, did she? Wasn't the reason given for her divorce that she didn't want Suri to be indoctrinated at Study Tech (that's the correct term, right?) schools?

by Anonymousreply 39806/02/2013

Shirley MacLaine? Is that why she's so whackadoodle?

by Anonymousreply 39906/02/2013

The clams on this thread appear to never refer to will or tom by their first names and all proclaim them to be great famile men...hmmmm.

by Anonymousreply 40006/02/2013

Moviegoers put their money anywhere but near the apparent train wreck that is After Earth, with the Will and Jaden Smith-M. Night Shyamalan vehicle taking in $27 million for a third-place finish that the Hollywood Reporter calls "one of the most surprising box office upsets in recent memory" and a "sizable blow" to the elder Smith.

Fast & Furious 6 held its spot at No. 1 with $34.5 million, while Now You See Me eked out No. 2 with $28.2 million. After Earth fell significantly short of the $35 million to $40 million that had been expected, and it's the first time since 1993 that one of Smith's summer movies failed to open at No. 1. It now faces a steep climb (virtually impossible) to recoup its $130 million budget, notes the Reporter.

by Anonymousreply 40106/02/2013

Scientology kills.

by Anonymousreply 40206/02/2013

I eat old people's excrement.

by Anonymousreply 40306/02/2013

Jeffrey Tambor says he's out. Katie Holmes was definitely in but is now quite spectacularly out.

Add to the list Bijou Phillips, Michelle Stafford, Catherine Bell, Erika Christensen, Grant Cardone, Bodhi Elfman, Ethan Suplee, Doug E. Fresh, Elisabeth Moss, Marisol Nichols (just made OT8), Greta Van Susteren and her husband John Coale. For the Australians, Kate Ceberano.

ALSO Charles Manson, convicted Ponzi schemer Reed Slatkin, convicted murderer Rex Fowler, deceased murderer Johnny Lewis, 10 individuals convicted in Operation Snow White, the largest infiltration of the US government in history, and more scammers, fraud artists and other scum beyond counting. Rapists and child molestors too.

by Anonymousreply 40406/02/2013

I hope Jeffrey Tambor is out. I always loved his work. He seems too intelligent to have been involved with CO$. People like Cruise, Travolta, Alley, Remini, Ribisi, J. Elfman, etc. are dim bulbs and seem like they could be easily influenced and inducted. Tambor seems far too brainy to let them have too much control over him.

by Anonymousreply 40506/02/2013

Perhaps are guests on DL, the Clambots, can tell us how many celebs are trapped in the Church, as they would be threatened with exposure of their personal secrets, true or not, if they left?

by Anonymousreply 40606/02/2013

R406 ....OUR....!

by Anonymousreply 40706/02/2013

bearded clams, HA!

by Anonymousreply 40806/02/2013

R407, I stand corrected, I should have typed "our" instead of "are." Now will you please go back and assist DL's grammar troll in criticizing the grammar and poor word choice and insane sentence structure and lack of proper punctuation in all of the Clambots previous posts?

by Anonymousreply 40906/02/2013

Kate Ceberano's grandmother was one of Hubbard's right hand gals. She was there at the beginning with him. Ceberano refuses to discuss the cult in the media but she is totally brainwashed.

by Anonymousreply 41006/02/2013

R409 STOP "TALKING"TO THEM!?!?!?!?!

by Anonymousreply 41106/02/2013

The Drudge Report is calling After Earth a DISASTER.

by Anonymousreply 41206/03/2013

R412, why the fuck are you reading the Drudge Report? And why the fuck would you believe anything you find there, let alone repeat it?

by Anonymousreply 41306/03/2013

No matter what the reviews, I would never pay to see a moving that features Will Smith, Jason Lee, Tom Cruise, John Travolta or any of the other cult members.

by Anonymousreply 41406/03/2013

Am I the only one noticing the clam postings don't even sound like human beings? It's in their syntax, comes off unnatural. It's like they're pod people trying to mimic humans.

by Anonymousreply 41506/03/2013

I work in a huge megaplex in Houston. When this film opened up, it had 1 of our 3 huge theatres available to it. Its biggest night was Friday and it was less than half full.

Meanwhile, we were turning people away for that magic movie. Now the Smith film is in the smaller theatre and it is still only half full.

by Anonymousreply 41606/03/2013

[quote] Obviously the clams have found this thread and are spamming the hell out of it. Not even subtle.

Dear god, DL has been taken in by some clever clam parodies...

by Anonymousreply 41706/03/2013

I just read that Smith's Willow film only made $57 million domestic, and nothing is noted for overseas if it actually was released overseas.

Big Flop

by Anonymousreply 41806/03/2013

Re: the R396 list... Lisa Marie Presley left the Scienos, Will & Jada are more than rumored and the others less than.

by Anonymousreply 41906/03/2013

Not according to the Scientology Celebrity blog. Great dish about them. It was posted on the "Going Clear" thread. Read it while you can; the Scienos are wracking their poor little brains trying to figure out how to take it down.

by Anonymousreply 42006/03/2013

Besides Sofia Coppola in THE GODFATHER III, I can't think of another example of blatant nepotism and ego of the parent. Can anyone else think of others?

by Anonymousreply 42106/03/2013

r420, I am almost afraid to click on that link for fear the clams will get me.

by Anonymousreply 42206/03/2013

Jaden looks so sweet on the movie poster for "After Earth" - on one knee, bowing his head in allegiance to the Dianetics Volcano. It's so obviously a tip of the hat to the Clam Church. It makes me sick how they are rubbing it in our faces.

R419 Rumor is that Lisa Marie is still a member, but not 100% actively involved. It is unclear whether or not she has actually left them. I hope she has.

by Anonymousreply 42306/03/2013

"It's a cookbook!"

by Anonymousreply 42406/03/2013

I don't think Will n Jada r Scientologist. What's the big deal even if they r? Its just their religion people.

by Anonymousreply 42506/03/2013

So many clams in this thread it should come with its complimentary linguine.

by Anonymousreply 42606/03/2013

[quote]I don't think...

That is correct R425

by Anonymousreply 42706/03/2013

I was in London last week and through the weekend on a business trip. Everyone on that side of the pond was talking about how terrible After Earth looks. No one was a bit surprised that it tanked over here. It is expected to be a financial disaster when it opens in the UK next week. If the Smith's and M. Night are expecting it to be a huge hit overseas, they are in for a huge surprise. Though the movie may do well in Asia, I doubt it.

by Anonymousreply 42806/03/2013

[quote]I don't think Will n Jada r Scientologist.

Then why did they start a $ciento school???

[quote]What's the big deal even if they r? Its just their religion people.

A fake "religion" that attempts to eliminate homosexuality from the earth. And is responsible for murdering ex-members.

Fuck off $ciento shill @r425.

by Anonymousreply 42906/03/2013

The next rumored Wilma Smith project is a remake of the 1969 Western classic, "The Wild Bunch." I always loved that movie. I shudder to think how badly he's going to fuck that one up. It will be another "Wild, Wild West" disaster. Especially if they go the "comedy spoof" route, which I highly suspect they will.

by Anonymousreply 43006/03/2013

Several of my family members were caught up in the Co$ back in the 1980s. Their tales about that organization completely terrify me. Anyone who argues that it is not a brainwashing cult is mental. As a result of my knowledge (much of which I cannot divulge for the safety of my family members), I cannot support any entertainment driven by Scienos.

I have not seen a Cruise movie since Risky Business, a Travolta movie since Blow Out, or a Smith movie since I found out he was a Co$ Zombie. Anyone who has escaped the clutches of Scientology has my sympathy and support. It is a horrible organization.

by Anonymousreply 43106/03/2013

Will and Jaden Smith's sci-fi adventure After Earth wound up in third place this weekend with a very disappointing $27 million. That's in between last year's notorious sci-fi bombs John Carter ($30.2 million) and Battleship ($25.5 million). It's also half of MIB 3 ($54.6 million) and The Karate Kid ($55.7 million), which were the last two movies from Will and Jaden, respectively.

As is the case with many bombs, the explanation for After Earth's poor start is quite simple: the movie just didn't look all that appealing. While director M. Night Shyamalan's name was hidden in the marketing, he does have to take some of the blame for the movie's bland, paint-by-numbers appearance. Also, while Will Smith is clearly a major star, his presence didn't help much because his role here as a stoic, incapacitated soldier was devoid of the charisma and energy that audiences expect from him.

The audience was 51 percent male and 60 percent were 25 years of age or older. They gave the movie a "B" CinemaScore, which suggests middling word-of-mouth that should keep the movie from holding on well. Add in the fact that Man of Steel is on the immediate horizon, and it's unlikely that After Earth winds up with more than $70 million or so.

After Earth debuts in most overseas next weekend, and Sony is hoping that Will Smith's international drawing power will help make up for the limp domestic debut. Over $200 million should be doable, though that still puts After Earth firmly in the John Carter/Battleship realm.

by Anonymousreply 43206/03/2013

1994 called and wants it's slang back, clam at R433.

by Anonymousreply 43406/03/2013

R433 "The Great Gastby, Star Track" - Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 43506/03/2013

r405- I've worked with Jeffery- yes he is indeed out. After auditing some classes, they told him that his wife needed to take them as well, or he would have to leave her. She didn't want to take them and he left, but his name is still associated with that group. His people for years tried to disassociate his name, but it would mysteriously be re-attached, so he quit trying.

They took a page from the Mormons, so they can say that their membership numbers are strong, regardless if the members are still practicing.

by Anonymousreply 43606/03/2013

You are kidding, R346.

by Anonymousreply 43706/03/2013

This movie will only do business in countries where citizens are not encouraged to think - that is, semi-dictatorships and other.

Now I'm curious to see the global box office results for this dud so as to add to my list of worst vacation spots.

by Anonymousreply 43806/03/2013

[quote]A fake "religion" that attempts to eliminate homosexuality from the earth. And is responsible for murdering ex-members.

Honey, you just desribed EVERY religion.

by Anonymousreply 43906/03/2013

Ahem, R439

by Anonymousreply 44006/03/2013

the movie sucks. the audience noted. THAT is why it failed.

It has nothing to do with Scarytology.

Although, I am SOO fucking puzzled at how reasonably rational people get sucked in...

Who would think this is normal??

by Anonymousreply 44106/03/2013

[quote]Besides Sofia Coppola in THE GODFATHER III, I can't think of another example of blatant nepotism and ego of the parent. Can anyone else think of others?

Very different scenario. Sofia Coppola may have been a bad choice, but she was a last-minute substitution. Godfather III was not created as a vanity project or star vehicle for her, nor was she given a starring role in a blatant attempt to make her into a major movie star.

by Anonymousreply 44206/03/2013

Okay so the circumstances were different, R442 but the idea is the same: throwing your untalented spawn into something that they're not equipped to handle. I was just wondering if there were other examples of that.

by Anonymousreply 44306/03/2013

Terrible movie. I took my niece and nephew. They wanted to see it, so I took them to see it in IMAX. All three of us stuck it out until the closing credits, but it was a challenge. It was pure dreck.

Worst movie of all time? Not quite, but it would make the 20 Worst Movies I Have Ever Seen list. It was boring, had cheesy effects and horrible acting (Will Smith included).

by Anonymousreply 44406/03/2013

Ken, you must be a real prize, knowing the reviews and yet still seeing the movie in its most expensive format.

by Anonymousreply 44506/03/2013

Come on people. There are a lot worst movies out there. Gigli, Battleship, Pearl Harbor, Avatar, Showgirls, Baby Geniuses, Troll 2, Les Miserables, Armageddon, Transformers 2, Superman IV are all far worse movies. You're all irrational.

Irrationality is simply that... the inability to get the right answers from data. You people are obviously looking at flawed data and drawing the wrong conclusions.

I bet if After Earth had starred Brad Pitt, Matt Damon, Mark Wahlberg or George Clooney you would all be jumping up and down saying how wonderful it was.

by Anonymousreply 44606/03/2013

I think most would agree that even "Troll 2" is far more entertaining that "After Earth"!!!!

by Anonymousreply 44706/03/2013

I will say this again Clams. Try. Don't write lame earnest posts and expect us to believe you. Be snarky! Listen, you're already lost to the cult, so at least have some fun while shilling!

Example Clam Post:

"Bitches, I got super drunk last night and thought I was seeing Iron Man 3 but found myself in the After Earth theater. You know what? I sort of liked it. Will was trying too hard and Jaden was annoying as hell, but the movie itself was pretty good. Is it Citizen Kane? No. Nor is it Gigli."

Something like that.

by Anonymousreply 44806/03/2013

How can you say it's bad if you have never seen it? I don't expect it to be Room With A View, but it is probably not as bad as Rotten Tomatoes says. What is Rotten Tomatoes? A bunch of half-educated 20-somethings jumping on the bandwagon. Remember, classic movies like The Third Man, Night Of The Hunter, Psycho (the original) and The Shining got a lot of terrible reviews when they first came out. Now they are regarded among the movie elite.

by Anonymousreply 44906/03/2013

This was by far one of the most boring movies I have ever seen. You almost couldn't pay me to watch that turd again it was so bad.

People were getting up and leaving in the first 30 minutes (or should I say the first 'turdy' minutes). My friends and I left after 45 minutes. I lost $9.50, but it was better for me to just take the financial loss. My time and my patience were far more valuable.

What were they thinking? This was such a rip off of every other sci-fi movie of the last ten years. A watered-down copy. Plus, the Scientology promotion, which was so obvious to anyone with even minimal knowledge of the cult.

Will has been one of my favorite actors for years but I am so disgusted with him trying to push his no-talent boy and his zombie-head religion on me. Wake up Will. We're not that stupid. Well, I guess I was a little stupid for going to see "After Earth", but I had faith in Will that it would be at least entertaining. I was so wrong.

by Anonymousreply 45006/03/2013

Is everyone writing a parody post these days?

by Anonymousreply 45106/03/2013

"After Earth" COULD NOT have been worse than "Pearl Harbor", "Gigli" or "Independence Day". Could it? If so, then it is REALLY bad. I'm glad I chose not to waste my hard-earned cash.

by Anonymousreply 45206/03/2013

>>Rotten Tomatoes is just a bunch of half-educated 20-somethings jumping on the bandwagon...

You're priceless, r449. For the top critics, (paid broadcast and print, mostly) try 50 or 60-somethings.

Try reading just the top critics to get a clear idea about a movie. Anyway, most of the reviews are posted before the movie comes out, anyway, so there is no "bandwagon" there to speak of.

On lots of other forums, (here included) you may have a bandwagon point.

by Anonymousreply 45306/03/2013

Independence Day was bad? Really? I loved it and it was - and continues to be - a huge success. It was just fun entertainment.

by Anonymousreply 45406/03/2013

It looks like M. Night is rapidly joining the ranks of Ed Wood, Michael Bay and Uwe Boll as directors of "questionable" talent. I gave up on M. Night movies after the ridiculous "Signs" - which was also the last Gel Mibson movie I ever paid to see.

by Anonymousreply 45506/03/2013

“Everyone go see ‪#AfterEarth‬ this weekend,” Justin Bieber tweeted. “‪@officialjaden‬ we got u. ‪#supportyourfriends‬”

That right there is reason enough to keep me from seeing that movie.

by Anonymousreply 45606/03/2013

R456, I can totally see Bieber getting "sucked in" to the clam cult as some point in the near future. He's really not that intelligent and it seems that the celebs that are drawn into Co$ are not exactly Mensa material.

by Anonymousreply 45706/03/2013

LEAVE JADEN ALONE!!!

by Anonymousreply 45806/03/2013

When Tom did his big celebrity outreach (or Scientology Mission year) after marrying Katie he went after Europeans with the Beckhams, Afr-Americans with the Smiths and if I recall they were also trying to get their claws into the Latinos with J Lo and Marc Antony. Only the Smiths fell for it.

by Anonymousreply 45906/03/2013

I wonder if Wilma Smith and Daddy, I mean Tammy Cruise, ever sampled each other's goody-bags. I can picture them rutting like wild dogs (or is it Old Dogs or Wild Hogs, Mr. Travolta?). I wonder if they are both versatile, or if one's a total top and the other a total bottom. Both of them scream "BOTTOM" to me.

by Anonymousreply 46006/03/2013

Weekend Report: 'Fast' Falls, Magicians Make Will Smith Disappear

After Earth opened on track with recent sci-fi bombs like John Carter and Battleship.

Will and Jaden Smith's sci-fi adventure After Earth wound up in third place this weekend with a very disappointing $27.5 million. That's in between last year's notorious sci-fi bombs John Carter ($30.2 million) and Battleship ($25.5 million). It's also half of MIB 3 ($54.6 million) and The Karate Kid ($55.7 million), which were the last two movies from Will and Jaden, respectively.

by Anonymousreply 46106/03/2013

You have to wonder what's going on with Will Smith right this moment. I'd love to be a fly on that wall. Someone like him, you figure, he doesn't take failure lightly.

by Anonymousreply 46206/03/2013

I love that JOHN CARTER (which I enjoyed) made more in its opening.

For everyone, including me, who rather wished this would kick Littler Jughead's career in the goobers, I expect he'll come back with something more appropriate and continue his track. There's a sense of inevitability in the push they're giving him.

by Anonymousreply 46306/03/2013

Right, R394. It's not that the $cio asses come here to niggle, they (in their usual ham-handed, impervious-to-reality-and-discretion way) they scream bias.

Anti-religious bias. Race bias. Success bias.

All while representing an especially virulent, sanctioned and nasty homophobia.

I question the official story of Hubbard's gay son Quentin's death. Suicide with a hose from a running car, but no carbon monoxide in his system. NOTHING is beyond these maniacs, and that's something they're actually proud of.

by Anonymousreply 46406/03/2013

[quote]Irrationality is simply that... the inability to get the right answers from data.

FLUNK, R446! That sounds like a Hubbardism.

Jennifer Lopez' father is in, has been for years.

So cult told Jeffrey Tambor "Handle or disconnect" and he replied "disconnect from YOU." Excellent. I hope he knows exes with lawyers are having pretty good luck getting their monies on account refunded...

I'm not convinced Lisa Marie Presley is out either - if she wants to lose the stigma she needs to say "I am out." The mindfuck and the expense are so intense that IMO until you've burned the bridge you're still one of them. Besides, her mom Priscilla, her husband and her kids (yep, including Riley Keough) are all still in, there's been no signs of disconnection there, and she's living in a big ass mansion she bought close to the UK cult headquarters.

by Anonymousreply 46506/03/2013

R464, Isn't Scientology also very racist? Maybe minorities are savvier than many Whites but I don't see plenty of people of color in management positions in the cult. That makes Will&wife's involvement in Scieno even more bizarre.

by Anonymousreply 46606/03/2013

[quote] You shouldn't be scrubbing the floor on your hands and knees. Get yourself a nigger; that's what they're born for. –L. Ron Hubbard, in a letter to first wife, Polly Grubb

[quote] Actually, have you ever noticed how a Negro, in particular down south, where they're pretty close to the soil, personifies MEST? The gatepost and the wagon and the whip and anything around there—a hat. They talk to them, you know. "What'sa mattuh wi' you hat?" They imbue them with personality. –L. Ron Hubbard, Therapy section of Technique 80 ("Route to Infinity" tapes), Part I, a lecture given on 21 May 1952

[quote] Unlike yellow and brown people, the white does not usually believe he can get attention from matter or objects...The white goes further. He often believes he can get attention only from whites and that yellow and brown people's attention is worthless. Thus the yellow and brown races are not very progressive, but, by and large, saner. –L. Ron Hubbard, Scientology: The Fundamentals of Thought, Bridge Publications: Los Angeles, 1997.

And there's plenty more:

by Anonymousreply 46706/03/2013

I heard that theaters are already cutting back on the number of screens that are showing it. The theater around the corner was scheduled to show it all this week, but they completely quit showing it. Brutal indeed.

by Anonymousreply 46806/03/2013

My 12 year old nephew went to see it with some friends this weekend. He says they all hated it and thought it was boring and stupid.

As the 12 year old boys go - so goes this movie.

It's a huge failure.

by Anonymousreply 46906/03/2013

"Will Smith's Scientology Ties Odd Given Founder's Overt Racism L. Ron Hubbard Writings Spoke Ill of African Americans Other Races By TheImproper Staff, June 3rd, 2013

Will Smith’s movie with son Jaden Smith has been criticized for promoting Scientology. Will Smith’s and Jada Pinkett Smith’s ties to Scientology and the controversy it’s causing surrounding his latest picture, “After Earth,” are bizarre given the overt racism of the pseudo-religion’s founder L. Ron Hubbard. Smith’s picture, which is bombing at the box office, has touched off a heated debate about Scientology’s hold on Hollywood.

The movie’s themes, reflected in dialog, are clearly aligned with many of the church’s precepts. Meanwhile, the Smiths’ ties to church are well known. They’ve donated thousands of dollars to the organization over the years, although more recently they have moved away from the group.

Smith has insisted numerous times that he is not a Scientologist although he has defended pal Tom Cruise for his ardent belief in Hubbard’s teachings.

Smith has also compared Dianetics to teachings in the Bible. “In all of the experiences I’ve had with Tom and Scientology, like, 98 percent of the principles are identical to the principles of the Bible,” he said in a 2007 interview with Vogue magazine.

The church’s philosophy is based on a system of “universal truths” known as “Dianetics.” Hubbard, a science-fiction writer came up with the philosophy in the 1950s. Although he was revered by his church as someone who was enlightened, he was very grounded in his times, especially on race relations.

Hubbard was overtly racist and considered people of color to be sub-human, according to many of his own writings.

Jesse Prince, an African American and former high-ranking church leader, says Hubbard’s racism permeates the church to this day.

“[Current church leader] David Miscavige, is a racist, a racist in extremis, as well as his South African companion, Norman Starkey,” Prince said in a 1998 radio interview.

“I was the only African-American that I know of that ever achieved a high position within Scientology. And even then, I was continually subjected to racial slurs by David Miscavige and, um, Norman Starkey to the point where we nearly came to blows about it,” he added.

“L. Ron Hubbard himself is on tape giving lectures speaking about how stupid, uh, African-Americans are, you know, and how they can’t be cleared and the best thing to do is to just put ‘em all on a barge and dump ‘em in the middle of the water,” he said. “They don’t care anything about African-American people.”

by Anonymousreply 47006/03/2013

Thanks, R470. The "In all of the experiences I’ve had with Tom and Scientology" is very revealing. Tammy was really going after him, wasn't he? And it seems to have worked.

The 2% Smith doesn't find aligning to the Bible must be the parts about alien soul possession, Earth space history, and the desire not only to eliminate gays but commit genocide on African Americans.

Idiots. It will be interesting to see how Smith salvages his image.

by Anonymousreply 47106/03/2013

"The Karate Kid II" opening Summer 2014!

by Anonymousreply 47206/03/2013

R471, Always nice to be appreciated; will remember you next time I get dissed on DL.

Now for those of you who are still a member of any of the Christian denominations, Scientology claims that you can also be of any religion. However if you believe in Jesus Christ, or think that he was a prophet, or lead an exemplary life to be followed, Scienos then claim that you have the evil and destructive remnants of a former being lodged inside of you which must be quickly and completely and totally excised to prevent further harm.

by Anonymousreply 47306/03/2013

r468, I'd be very surprised if your theater's contract with Sony would allow them to pull a picture after its first weekend. Move to a smaller screen, maybe. Cut back some screens, maybe. Drop it all together? Unlikely.

In other words: link, please.

by Anonymousreply 47406/03/2013

R474, In Vegas they quickly reduce the number of times per day a movie is shown if it does that poorly.

by Anonymousreply 47506/03/2013

[post by racist shit-stain # 2 removed.]

by Anonymousreply 47606/04/2013

In my theater, if a movie doesn't perform well I throw it right out in the trash immediately and replace it with another movie. Why continue to show a stinker and lose money. If you have a restaurant, do you continue to serve the dish no one orders or do you focus on the moneymakers?

by Anonymousreply 47706/04/2013

Bitches, I got super drunk last night and thought I was seeing Iron Man 3 but found myself in the After Earth theater. You know what? I sort of liked it. Will was trying too hard and Jaden was annoying as hell, but the movie itself was pretty good. Is it Citizen Kane? No. Nor is it Gigli.

by Anonymousreply 47806/04/2013

I BELIEVE YOU R478

by Anonymousreply 47906/04/2013

I've hated Will & that kid of his ever since I watched the Justin Bieber documentary on Netflix...in it, Will essentially pays to get his arrogant, talentless son to "perform" on stage @ one of Justin's concerts. Vomit-inducing to the max! NONE of you could possibly hate that kid more than I do.

by Anonymousreply 48006/04/2013

R477, in your restaurant you own the food and can use itas you see fit.

In a movie theatre, you have a license to use someone else's product to make money for both parties. You cannot unilaterally trash it; it's not yours to trash.

Of course you can reduce its showings, change its screens, stop promoting it, and eventually stop showing it, but only according to the terms of your contact.

by Anonymousreply 48106/04/2013

I seen After Earth last night and it was not to bad it was not the greatest but ok and I would see it again if it came on tv --- I think people who are trashing it are just jumpin on the bandwagon --- like I said it is not the best movie of all times but it is still worth the $10.95 I spend to see it. It's no worse than Pearl Harbor or Oblivon.

by Anonymousreply 48206/04/2013

[quote]It's no worse than Pearl Harbor or Oblivon. (sic)

The new clam strategy - compare to other middling pieces of shit instead of the watery corn-studded diarrhea that it is.

by Anonymousreply 48306/04/2013

R482 "I seen After Earth..." - Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 48406/04/2013

R484 here. Oops. I meant to say "Grammar Troll #356B." I guess that's what I get for being a bitch, huh?

by Anonymousreply 48506/04/2013

Why would anybody go to this movie and pay 11 bucks, knowing it's a piece of shit?

by Anonymousreply 48606/04/2013

Sorry. I meant I seed it last night.

by Anonymousreply 48706/04/2013

Sorry. Did it again. I meant I seened it last night. Fuck. Who carez about Engl. any weigh?

by Anonymousreply 48806/04/2013

R484 - that's why I usually refrain from doing that...I've learned from experience that karma usually bites me in the butt immediately. (Yes I know that's not how karma is supposed to work...la-dee-dah). ;)

by Anonymousreply 48906/04/2013

R482 I ain't seed it yet but mabee wen it cum on da teevee.

by Anonymousreply 49006/04/2013

R476, That's Scieno twisted thinking for you, or how they initially reel suckers in. They claim that you can be a Christian or of any other faith, and then watch out. Thanks to the internet we now know the truth.

"Jesus in Scientology From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

According to R. Philip Roberts in The Apologetics Study Bible, "Scientology's upper-level materials tout the concept of Jesus as God as being a fiction that ought to be removed by 'auditing'". Jesus as a Memory Implant

In the 2008 book Vintage Jesus: Timeless Answers to Timely Questions, authors Mark Driscoll and Gerry Breshears write: "According to Scientology, Jesus is an 'implant' forced upon a thetan about a million years ago". In A Piece of Blue Sky, Jon Atack writes "In confidential issues, Hubbard dismissed Christian teaching as an 'implant.' ... In confidential materials Hubbard attacked Christianity as an 'implant,' and said that Christ was a fiction." Tony Ortega writes in a 1999 article in the Phoenix New Times that the Church of Scientology "believes Jesus Christ is a figment of the imagination." Ortega writes that according to Scientology, Jesus was a false memory implanted into humans as a result of the Xenu space opera. When Ortega asked Church of Scientology spokeswoman Karin Pouw about this theology, she responded: "So what if we believe Jesus is a figment of the imagination?" Hubbard is quoted as stating that Christianity evolved from the "R6 Implant": "The man on the cross. There was no Christ! The Roman Catholic Church, through watching the dramatizations of people picked up some little fragments of R6."

by Anonymousreply 49106/04/2013

what's with all the "patterns" that Will and his spawn keep talking about.

CRAZY KIDS!

by Anonymousreply 49206/04/2013

Isn't patterns some kind of Scieno-speak?

by Anonymousreply 49306/04/2013

Atheist DL, I hope that you will not be offended by my post showing how Scienos really view Christianity, in contrast to what they initially claim. If you carefully read between the lines, you will see that Scienos also contradict Atheistic thinking. You are not allowed to make your own personal decisions on what you do or do not believe to be true about anything. In that regard Scienos is more mentally dangerous than any other form of religious thought.

by Anonymousreply 49406/04/2013

[quote]Now this is a story all about when My soul got infested by space aliens And I'd like to take a minute, just lean back and sit I'll tell you how I came to believe in some really stupid shit.

[quote]In a studio in Hollywood, young and brash On a sitcom is where I made most of my cash Chillin' out, acting and raking in the green Making movies and a TV show that everyone's seen Till a couple stars, they were up to some shit Got me to read Dianetics and I was diggin' it I got in one little chat with my man Tom Cruise He said, "If you get with Scientology you just can't lose!"

[quote]I paid for an audit, and when I was read It said I had all kinds of thetans and engrams in my head If anything, I could say these guys had no cred But I thought, "Naw, forget it. I wanna get ahead!"

[quote]I pulled up to the Centre about 7 or 8 And I yelled to my friends, "Yo SPs, smell ya later!" I looked at my e-meter, and it started to beep To guide me on my path as a new Scilon creep.

I love it, post of the thread for me.

I'll probably see After Earth on a longhaul plane ride, so I can take the piss out of it.

Cypher Raige is the best name ever though. It sounds like something Troy McClure would turn down.

by Anonymousreply 49506/04/2013

[quote]Bitches, I got super drunk last night and thought I was seeing Iron Man 3 but found myself in the After Earth theater. You know what? I sort of liked it.

Now we know what it takes to like this mess: Getting "super drunk" beforehand.

by Anonymousreply 49606/04/2013

Corn?? Corn?? I don't remember eating corn!

by Anonymousreply 49706/04/2013

Hubbard on Christianity, verbatim, the quotes Wikipedia is referencing:

[quote]For those of you whose Christian toes I may have stepped on, let me take the opportunity to disabuse you of some lovely myths. For instance, the historic Jesus was not nearly the sainted figure [he] has been made out to be. In addition to being a lover of young boys and men, he was given to uncontrollable bursts of temper and hatred.... You have only to look at the history his teachings inspired to see where it all inevitably leads. It is historic fact and yet man still clings to the ideal, so deep and insidious is the biologic implanting. - L Ron Hubbard, Student Briefing, OT VIII, Series 1

[quote]...it became what is known as Christianity. The man on the Cross. There was no Christ. But the man on the cross is shown as Everyman. So of course each person seeing a crucified man, has an immediate feeling of sympathy for this man. L Ron Hubbard, Assists lecture #10, Class VIII lectures

There's even tape of him saying the last one - you can hear it with other craziness here:

by Anonymousreply 49806/04/2013

R441, Please read the Going Clear thread, as I've just posted evidence of how the unwary get sucked into Scienotology, exactly like one gets physically addicted to drugs.

by Anonymousreply 49906/04/2013

R476, "From 0t8 level of Scientology, 'Jesus was a pedophile and lover of young boys.'"

by Anonymousreply 50006/04/2013

R476, Please note that L. Ron Hubbard said if you say "Satan" with a lisp it sounds like "thetan." Continuing from the same source quoted in R500,

"L. Ron Hubbard, HCOPL 25 February 1966:

"MAKE MONEY. MAKE MORE MONEY. MAKE OTHER PEOPLE PRODUCE SO AS TO MAKE MORE MONEY."

Ron Is A Con Saturday, March 06, 2004 - 08:11 am

That reminds me of the Real definition of "Supressive Person" as used in Scientology: "Anyone who interferes with the continued extraction of money from Scientology's rubes"

by Anonymousreply 50106/05/2013

Loved it and am looking forward to After Earth 2.

by Anonymousreply 50206/05/2013

R502 that is fucking gut spasm funny

by Anonymousreply 50306/06/2013

After Earth 2: The Wrath of Xenu

by Anonymousreply 50406/06/2013

You couldn't pay me to watch a Will Smith movie.

by Anonymousreply 50506/06/2013

[quote]I'm not convinced Lisa Marie Presley is out either - if she wants to lose the stigma she needs to say "I am out." The mindfuck and the expense are so intense that IMO until you've burned the bridge you're still one of them. Besides, her mom Priscilla, her husband and her kids (yep, including Riley Keough) are all still in

Her current husband was not in. The ex-husband you're talking about is the father of Riley (and Ben) and if you know what you pretend to know about Scientology, you'd understand why she'd be cautious of the impact on familial relations for her children and herself.

Some people value family stability over P.R. efforts toward strangers.

by Anonymousreply 50606/06/2013

Me neither, R505. I left in the middle of Hancock because it was so boring. I'm surprised that movie didn't flop.

by Anonymousreply 50706/06/2013

I loved Hancock. It's one of the few superhero movies I could stand.

In general I've really liked Will Smith, and find him very charming onscreen. But this looks dire.

by Anonymousreply 50806/06/2013

Lisa Marie Presley's "You ain't seen nothing yet" (which she co-wrote and is quite good IMO) you can clearly hear a rebuttal of the church. Esp the part where she goes "I'm a bit transgressive and suppressive as yet".

The video also clearly states her desire to make a clean break with the past.

by Anonymousreply 50906/06/2013

Will and his crotchling will be on Ellen this afternoon!

by Anonymousreply 51006/07/2013

I didn't like Hancock because it wasn't realistic in that he causes so much destruction and property damage and just gets to walk away from it. In real like (I know!) someone has to pay for all that damage, which could easily run into the billions.

by Anonymousreply 51106/07/2013

Cheer up, Will Smith! Best part of the video is when they go into the actual Scientology org.

(Surely these guys will get sued, at the very least for using the copyrighted symbol and the photo of David Miscavige.)

by Anonymousreply 51206/07/2013

Michael Lockwood (Lisa Marie Presley's current husband) Scientology completions:

by Anonymousreply 51306/07/2013

It had something to do with scientology. Will should have known better then to walk with Tom Cruise.

by Anonymousreply 51406/08/2013

There is shameless PR/advertising going on in Earth's IMDB page. Saying to go make a statement and watch the damn movie. First of all, why the fuk should we put out 10 bucks into an already rich man's pocket. It's good that it failed.

by Anonymousreply 51506/08/2013

Word of mouth is causing this film to go down to epic proportions.

by Anonymousreply 51606/08/2013

It is really a great and useful piece of info. I glad that you shared this useful information with us. Please keep us up to date like this. Thanks for sharing.

by Anonymousreply 51706/28/2013

So what? He's still hot, and still will make millions from it and he'll still be an A-list.

The movie will make a profit. Virtually no movie loses "actual" money now, with worldwide release and DVDs and cable rentals.

Of course with Hollywood Accounting, they all "lose" money.

by Anonymousreply 51806/28/2013
Need more help? Click Here.