Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Roles that were horribly miscast

It could be for any reason; age, looks, weight - anything. Just tell us the role, the actor, and why you feel it was miscast.

by Anonymousreply 20310/01/2013

OP is horribly miscast as an OP. No examples to contend with? Lazy ass bored dilettante.

by Anonymousreply 205/30/2013

"Fuck off you silly queer, I'm getting outta here!"

by Anonymousreply 405/30/2013

Tom Hanks and Melanie Griffith in The Bonfire of the Vanities. Tom Hanks is not believable as a "master of the universe" Wall Street guy. Melanie Griffith is just awful, no need to elaborate.

by Anonymousreply 505/30/2013

Almost every woman in comic book films aren't right. They're either the wrong age, wrong coloring, or way too unattractive.

by Anonymousreply 705/30/2013

Most of the James Bond actors. They're too old.

by Anonymousreply 805/30/2013

Steve Buscemi as Nucky Thompson. The original mobster (who had a different name) looked like James Gandolfini, but the show creator didn't want to seem like he was doing a "Sopranos" retread, so he cast Buscemi wildly against type. Buscemi is a terrific actor, but he is just not believable as a mobster boss.

by Anonymousreply 905/30/2013

Michelle Pfeiffer as a mousy woman insecure about her attractiveness in "Frankie and Johnny."

by Anonymousreply 1005/30/2013

Some of you are sooooo stupid. Steve Buscemi is perfect...you damn idiot.

Hathaway was perfect in Devil Loves Prada.

by Anonymousreply 1105/30/2013

[quote]Almost every woman in comic book films aren't right.

Nowadays, I completely agree.

But Lynda Carter as Wonder Woman and Julie Newmar, Eartha Kitt & Michelle Pfeiffer as Catwomen were all iconic and gorgeous in their roles.

I'd give an honorable mention to Rebecca Romijn in the X-Men films, but she is so unrecognizable. Jennifer Lawrence is now in the role and is nowhere as cool, sexy and dangerous as Romijn did her.

by Anonymousreply 1205/30/2013

Colin Farrell as Alexander.

by Anonymousreply 1305/30/2013

Robert Redford in "Out Of Africa".

by Anonymousreply 1405/30/2013

[quote]Some of you are sooooo stupid. Steve Buscemi is perfect...you damn idiot.

Faced with that well reasoned and sophisticated defense of Buscemi in the role, I must recant my claims.

by Anonymousreply 1505/30/2013

silver linings playbook, i felt tiffany was no older than 24 or so, even 21 could work

by Anonymousreply 1605/30/2013

Maura West as Diane Jenkins on Y&R

by Anonymousreply 1705/30/2013

kate winslet in the reader- an actress of enormous warmth and vulnerability, she was all wrong for the part.

cameron diaz in gangs of new york: i don't think she's a complete failure here but she's just too contemporary. i heard sarah polley originally had the part.

hilary swank in the black dahlia, lol

by Anonymousreply 1805/30/2013

Jakey G in Prince of Persia.

Molly Ringwald in Fresh Horses

Cameron Diaz in A Life Less Ordinary

Blake Lively in The Town

Katie Holmes in The Romantics

Maggie Gyllenhaal as Catwoman

by Anonymousreply 1905/30/2013

Kate Bosworth as Lois Lane in "Superman Returns." Not believable as a hard-edged reporter and zero chemistry with Brandon Routh.

by Anonymousreply 2005/30/2013

[quote]Kate Bosworth as Lois Lane in "Superman Returns."

If they really were trying to do a love note to the Donner films, then why choose this "actress" who was the complete opposite of Margot Kidder. Kidder played Lane as mischevious, feisty and confident. Bosworth played a wet blanket.

by Anonymousreply 2105/30/2013

Melanie Griffith as a tough-as-nails New York City cop who goes undercover to solve a murder in the Hasidic community in A STRANGER AMONG US.

by Anonymousreply 2205/30/2013

Maggie Gyllenhaal as Rachel Dawes in The Dark Knight Didn't see her as the love of Bruce's life And Katie Holmes no better.

Tom Hanks in The Da Vinci Code- he was too blandly nice for the role

Demi Moore as Gloria Steinem (I don't think this is out yet but I assume this will be bad)

Lindsay Lohan as Elizabeth Taylor in Liz & Dick

by Anonymousreply 2305/30/2013

Gregory Peck as Ahab in Moby Dick. He was Atticus Finch with a beard--nothing crazy or menacing at all in his performance.

Orson Wells stole the movie out from under him in his one scene as the minister. He would have made a fantastic Ahab.

by Anonymousreply 2405/30/2013

I'd heard scuttlebut about "The Mirror has Two Faces", but I'm certainly not seeing it.

by Anonymousreply 2505/30/2013

Mickey Rooney in BREAKFAST AT TIFFANYS. No explanation necessary.

Tammy Cruise in INTERVIEW WITH THE VAMPIRE. Ditto.

Sofia Coppola in GODFATHER III. Complete lack of acting talent sufficient for role. People laughed in the audience when she was shot.

Julia Roberts in anything where the character is supposed to be intelligent. The memory of her wearing glasses to indicate her smartness in FLATLINERS still appalls.

Rosalind Russell in MAME. Please.

by Anonymousreply 2605/30/2013

The 35-year-old high schoolers in Grease

by Anonymousreply 2705/30/2013

Alec Guinness as Professor Godbole in A Passage to India

Mickey Rooney as Mr. Yunioshi in Breakfast at Tiffany's

Ona Munson as Mother Gin Sling in The Shanghai Gesture

Katharine Hepburn as Jade Tan in Dragonseed

by Anonymousreply 2805/30/2013

Barbra Streisand as an incredibly expensive call girl in "Nuts"

by Anonymousreply 2905/30/2013

melissa joan hart in darci's walk of shame

by Anonymousreply 3005/30/2013

emily watson in punch drunk love. i just think she's nasty. a homely, retarted slut that little kids on bikes throw rocks, who gets herself killed by some rough johns on a boat..

by Anonymousreply 3105/30/2013

[quote]zero chemistry with Brandon Routh

He had other things on his mind...and up his ass.

by Anonymousreply 3205/30/2013

R26 Rosalind Russell was Mame in Auntie Mame, not Mame....and she was absolutely perfect

by Anonymousreply 3305/30/2013

[quote]Barbra Streisand as an incredibly expensive call girl in "Nuts"

Actually I'd say she's been miscast in every film except Funny Girl (and maybe Funny Lady). Dolly, Clear Day, Owl, Star is Born, Yentl, Tides - they're all casting disasters with Mrs Brolin in the lead.

by Anonymousreply 3405/30/2013

[quote]Blake Lively in The Town

Huh? I was totally surprised at her robust and well-observed performance in what might have been a nothing role. I thought she was quite good!

by Anonymousreply 3505/30/2013

Uma Thurman in The Truth About Cats and Dogs. Not believeable as being so much more attractive than Janeanne.

by Anonymousreply 3605/30/2013

I think most of actresses in Nolan movies are miscasted with the exception of Carrie-Anne Moss and Anne Hathaway. Female characters are his biggest weakness and failure to direct not that bad actresses (Marion) brings the overall quality of the movie.

Ditto on Kate Bosworth. Scarlett was miscated as well.

by Anonymousreply 3705/30/2013

Clark Duke as the stud in Sex Drive.

by Anonymousreply 3805/30/2013

Leonardo di Caprio in anything from the last 15 years.

by Anonymousreply 3905/30/2013

John Wayne as Genghis Khan in THE CONQUEROR

by Anonymousreply 4105/30/2013

"Tammy Cruise in INTERVIEW WITH THE VAMPIRE. Ditto."

Both he and Pitt were terrible in this film, and both were equally miscast.

by Anonymousreply 4205/30/2013

Jeremy Piven as "Mr. Selfridge"

Brad Pitt in "Inglourious Basterds"

Sofia Coppola in "Godfather III"

Mickey Rooney in "Breakfast at Tiffany's"

by Anonymousreply 4305/30/2013

Whoopi Goldberg in Ghosts Of Mississippi

I just couldn't get past the fact that Medgar Evers's widow was a beautiful young woman, and Whoopi...wasn't.

Same for Kevin Spacey as Bobby Darin in Dreamlover. He was just too old for the part

by Anonymousreply 4405/30/2013

Frank Sinatra as Nathan Detroit in Guys and Dolls; Sam Levine owned that role and Sinatra should have played Sky Masterson.

Barbra Streisand in Hello Dolly was awful (way too young)

by Anonymousreply 4505/30/2013

[quote]Sinatra should have played Sky Masterson.

No way! Sinatra was much too short for that role. He could have played Nicely Nicely Johnson.

by Anonymousreply 4605/30/2013

R28, you forgot Marlon Brando in THE TEA HOUSE OF THE AUGUST MOON. haha

by Anonymousreply 4705/30/2013

Leonardo di Caprio in anything from the last 15 years ... maybe, r39 (certainly true of Django)... with the exception of Scorsese's The Departed, where he acquitted himself well.

r37, I also think Nolan's films, for some reason, are not cast well in general (especially the secondary characters), although I differ with you and do think that Hathaway did a surprisingly great job in a pretty bad film.

by Anonymousreply 5005/30/2013

by Anonymousreply 5105/30/2013

Barbra as Dolly Levi owns this thread.

by Anonymousreply 5205/30/2013

Robin Curtis as Saavik in Star Trek III, (replacing Kirstie Alley). So horrible.

by Anonymousreply 5305/30/2013

Tom Cruise, Leonardo DiCaprio, George Clooney, Brad Pitt, Johnny Depp, Scarlett Johannson, Ben Affleck, Daniel Craig, Kinau Reeves are always miscast because they can't act.

by Anonymousreply 5405/30/2013

I could never understand why they cast a yellow lab to be married to Matt Damon and be patient 0 for Contagion.

by Anonymousreply 5505/30/2013

Tom Cruise as a human being.

by Anonymousreply 5605/30/2013

ITA w/ r14 and r41.

Dorothy Malone in every role she played.

by Anonymousreply 5705/30/2013

To me, being miscast doesn't necessitate a poor performance, but there are things that just don't fit, and it might have to do with things outside the film.

Sofia Coppola in "Godfather III" is an obvious dartboard but it's not really a true miscast because she wasn't cast for that part. She wasn't even an actress, the way she tells it she was literally brought in at the last minute because of Winona's 'exhaustion' and she knew she'd be terrible. But assume she was cast for it. One of the reasons people were so hard on her was because she was the Director's daughter. Even had she been good, it's hard to get past that.

Blake Lively in The Town is what I'd call a miscast that's not her fault, but it was a miscast. She delivered a strongish performance (for Blake - my expectations were low) but I never forgot I was watching Vogue cover girl Blake Lively pretending to be tough with a bad Boston accent. It was watching Serena Van DerWoodsen play acting. I think if The Town came out now, the miscast wouldn't be so apparent for me.

by Anonymousreply 5805/30/2013

[quote] I never forgot I was watching Vogue cover girl Blake Lively pretending to be tough with a bad Boston accent.

I felt the same way about Affleck in this movie. I never forgot I was watching Ben Affleck pretending to be a tough Boston bank robber.

I also agree with Kate Bosworth in Superman Returns. Dreadful and unappealing.

I also agree on Buscemi in Boardwalk. Love him in other projects but he is MISCAST in this. Has zero sex appeal and very little charisma so hard to believe him in this role.

by Anonymousreply 5905/30/2013

Gary Cooper in Love in the Afternoon. It was kind of creepy watching him wooing Audrey Hepburn, who looked like his granddaughter.

Emma Thompson in Sense and Sensibility. Like Cooper, she was way to old for her part. Her character is supossed to be like 19 years old in the book, while Emma was 36 during the making of the movie.

Gene Kelly in Christmas Holliday. I just didn't buy him as a sinister husband with gambling problem. I was expecting him to burst out dancing any minute.

by Anonymousreply 6005/30/2013

The girl who played Travolta's love interest in Saturday Night fever.

by Anonymousreply 6105/30/2013

Big, fat, homely Rosie O'Donnell playing Betty Rubble never made a great deal of sense to me.

by Anonymousreply 6205/30/2013

R45,I agree that Frank should've played Sky Masterson. So that's why I have to add Marlon Brando to the list....I thought he was so out of place in "Guys and Dolls," although he seemed to give it his best shot.

by Anonymousreply 6305/30/2013

Humphrey Bogart in Sabrina. Far too old and wooden with zero chemistry.

Followed closely by Harrison Ford in the same role.

by Anonymousreply 6405/30/2013

Robert Ryan would have been an excellent Sky Masterson.

by Anonymousreply 6605/30/2013

Robert Redford as Dennis Finch Hatton in Out of Africa Kevin Costner as Robin Hood Kristin Chenoweth as Fran Kubelik

by Anonymousreply 6705/30/2013

Diane Keaton as a cut-throat business woman in "Baby Boom". Few actresses come off as more incompetent than Keaton does (part of her charm and part of why half the movie worked), but there is nothing about her that says super-executive.

by Anonymousreply 6905/30/2013

R9 He's based on Nucky Johnson, who was not a mobster at all. I think Steve's great in the role.

by Anonymousreply 7105/30/2013

Will Smith - Wild, Wild West

by Anonymousreply 7205/30/2013

Justin Chatwin in everything, particularly Shameless. No charisma, no talent.

by Anonymousreply 7305/30/2013

Katherine Heigl as Stephanie Plum in ONE FOR THE MONEY. She came across as far too genteel and passive, and and could not overcome the fact that the hair, makeup, and clothes she was put in were far too subdued for what is supposed to be a bigmouthed Jersey girl. Even her voiceovers were incredibly flat.

Debbie Reynolds was also miscast as Grandma Mazur Mazurin this movie. She looked too young. Wardrobe also screwed up with her, since the humor in the character is the dichotomy between her meek little old lady appearance and her desire to court danger and excitement. Reynolds looked and acted far too hardboiled. Kind of opposite to the issues with Heigl.

And the car cast as Old Blue was way too recent a model year.

by Anonymousreply 7405/30/2013

Disagree, Diane Keaton has a high class tone in "Baby Boom" - you believe she'd have gone to an Ivy League school. She's great in the film.

by Anonymousreply 7505/30/2013

Keira Knightley as Anna Karenina. Keira is just too skinny, too modern, too cold, not sensual enough to be Anna.

by Anonymousreply 7605/30/2013

R31, that was "Breaking the Waves."

by Anonymousreply 7705/30/2013

Cody Horn in Magic Mike.

by Anonymousreply 7805/30/2013

R54 is a goddamn idiot.

by Anonymousreply 7905/30/2013

Does anyone remember Anne Rice's epic meltdown when Tom Cruise was cast in IWAV? She gave interviews about how bad a choice it was, waved flags in parades, tore her hair out. Then, after the movie came out, she said he was great and she was wrong. What do we think happened there?

by Anonymousreply 8005/30/2013

Even though he won an Oscar for it, Jack Nicholson was nothing like the character in the novel One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. Randle Patrick "Red" McMurphy was written as a big, burly, Red-headed Irish lumberjack type. For that matter, Nurse Ratched is described as being beautiful and busty - a source of sexual fantasy for the men - Liz Taylor circa 1967 would have been the type. ale Harding, the latently gay character, is described as being "too pretty" - like a movie star. In the film, he was a milquetoast nerd.

by Anonymousreply 8105/30/2013

Kirk Douglas played McMurphy in the Broadway stage version in the early 1960's. He bought the film rights, then handed them off to his son when he was too old to play the part.

by Anonymousreply 8205/30/2013

Anikin Skywalker ... both as a child and as a teen.

by Anonymousreply 8305/30/2013

Shia LeDouche in every movie role he has had. I guess he gave a mean blowjob to get where he is. His acting "abilities" are atrocious. I used to direct Dinner Theater drama and I wouldn't have even cast him in one of my plays. I can't believe Hollyweird would cast him.

by Anonymousreply 8405/30/2013

Tom Cruise as a blue collar, divorced dad that has never heard of hummus in War Of The Worlds.

Anthony Michael Hall as a mean jock boyfriend in Edward

David Spade as a blue collar redneck in Joe Dirt.

Hayden Christensen as Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader.

by Anonymousreply 8505/30/2013

[quote]couldn't hold her own against Meryl and Emily Blunt,

No one has ever had any problem "holding their own" with the awful Emily Blunt.

by Anonymousreply 8605/30/2013

Shia LeBeouf as Indiana Jones' greaser son Henry "Mutt" Williams. He has the hair, face, and body of a cubicle bound IT guy. What in the actual fuck are they thinking when they cast him in tough guy roles?

by Anonymousreply 8705/30/2013

R23 If you are talking about the Lovelace movie, Demi Moore dropped out of that and was replaced by Sarah Jessica Parker. SJP as Steinem is probably a better choice anyway.

I read once that Madonna auditioned for the Sofia Coppola role in Godfather 3. I actually think she would have been better!

Denise Richards in her James Bond movie was meant to be a intelligent scientist and she never conveyed that at all. At that time, someone like Courteney Cox was A list enough and had the looks and ability to have made that more realistic.

Sean Connery in Entrapment. I know its much more common in Hollywood to have an older man play opposite a younger woman but that was just gross.

by Anonymousreply 8805/30/2013

Glenn Close in most of her film work.

by Anonymousreply 8905/30/2013

[quote]Almost every woman in comic book films aren't right.

[quote]Almost every woman... aren't right.

Ouch, ouch, ouch

by Anonymousreply 9005/30/2013

Audrey Hepburn as Holly Golightly was fairly lovely, but completely wrong. If it had been Marilyn Monroe -- or just a few years later, Liza Minnelli -- what a wonderful movie it might have been. Assuming, of course, that the guy's part was played by something other than that piece of wood. (To say nothing of Mickey Rooney -- his casting and portrayal were both examples of egregious racism, but we were rather less sensitive to such things in olden days.)

by Anonymousreply 9105/30/2013

Linda Cardellini as Sylvia Rosen in "Mad Men."

by Anonymousreply 9205/30/2013

Ricki Lake on "China Beach." Made you wish she'd be the second Donut Dolly they killed off.

by Anonymousreply 9305/30/2013

Michael Cera as Scott Pilgrim, girls fighting over that chinless dweeb?

Aaron Taylor-Johnson as Kick-Ass, too big for the part. In the graphic novel, Dave is a shrimpy blond kid.

by Anonymousreply 9405/30/2013

Leslie Howard as Ashley Wilkes in "Gone with the Wind". He was way too old and way too British to be convincing as his character.

by Anonymousreply 9505/30/2013

Shelly Duvall as Olive Oyl was described as "miscast in the role she was born to play."

by Anonymousreply 9605/30/2013

Barbra Streisand in GYPSY

by Anonymousreply 9705/30/2013

[quote]Sean Connery in Entrapment. I know its much more common in Hollywood to have an older man play opposite a younger woman but that was just gross.

Tell me about it! I was only 6 years old at the time!!!

by Anonymousreply 9805/30/2013

Tammy Cruise in Jack Reacher. That was a reach!

by Anonymousreply 9905/30/2013

Mia Farrow in The Great Gatsby. Yikes. Rewatched it recently and I can't understand why she was cast as Daisy.

by Anonymousreply 10005/30/2013

Edith Prickley in "Prickley Heat." She was far too carnal for the role--William Hurt didn't stand a chance.

by Anonymousreply 10105/30/2013

[all posts by ham-fisted troll a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 10205/30/2013

[quote]I agree that Frank should've played Sky Masterson. So that's why I have to add Marlon Brando to the list....I thought he was so out of place in "Guys and Dolls," although he seemed to give it his best shot.

I wonder how things would have turned out if those two had switched roles.

by Anonymousreply 10305/30/2013

John Travolta in "Hairspray."

The prosthetics made him look like an ape.

by Anonymousreply 10405/30/2013

Blaming makeup for Travolta looking like an ape would be like blaming clothes for making Kim Cattrall look like a transvestite.

by Anonymousreply 10505/30/2013

Linda Cardellini as Sylvia Rosen in "Mad Men."

Cardellini is creating an original role and I'm not quite sure what about the role makes you think she is miscast. If your post is an unpersuasive attempt to say that Cardellini would not believable as a Jewish woman, which I would in any event disagree with, you may want to watch the show more carefully. Sylvia, although married to a Jewish man, is Italian and Catholic. If you are saying she's not sexy enough for the role, I couldn't disagree with you more. Perhaps you mean something else but I couldn't begin to guess what it might be.

by Anonymousreply 10605/30/2013

R106 or may I call you Linda,

I'm saying she sucked, had no chemistry with Jon Hamm, looked like ten miles of bad road with those face wrinkles and brought no life or spark to the role.

That's what I'm saying.

by Anonymousreply 10705/30/2013

Woody Allen in every one of the movies he directed. However he was well-cast in The Front which he did not direct.

by Anonymousreply 10805/30/2013

"Even though he won an Oscar for it, Jack Nicholson was nothing like the character in the novel One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. Randle Patrick "Red" McMurphy was written as a big, burly, Red-headed Irish lumberjack type. For that matter, Nurse Ratched is described as being beautiful and busty - a source of sexual fantasy for the men "

I'm going to disagree with you. Randle McMurphy was supposed to be a man bursting with joie de vive and anti-authoritarianism, Nicholson played that very well and made it believable. He made the character funny and likeable, when someone like Brando would have made him saintly or pompous.

As for Nurse Ratched, I'm going to say the changes were a good thing. In the book, she was the embodiment of Kesey's issues about women, particularly women in authority, while in the movie she was more about the banality of evil. IMHO the changes in her character were an improvement on the book, and made her a better opponent for McMurphy. The book is good, but it's not an untouchable classic.

by Anonymousreply 10905/30/2013

Florence Henderson as Carol Brady. That role had Bea Arthur's name written all over it.

by Anonymousreply 11005/30/2013

[quote]SJP as Steinem is probably a better choice anyway.

No. Just no. There are a number of actresses who could play Steinem fairly convincingly. Ugly SJP is not one of them.

Can you imagine Playboy Club hiring that horse-face as a bunny?

by Anonymousreply 11105/30/2013

[quote]Woody Allen in every one of the movies he directed. However he was well-cast in The Front which he did not direct.

That's a bit extreme, lol(although I agree he was great in "The Front"). Woody was perfect in his early films, especially "Annie Hall" (he should've won the Best Actor Oscar over hammy Richard Dreyfuss that year). The miscast ones would be actresses like Helena Bonham-Carter, Julia Roberts, Mira Sorvino, Goldie Hawn, and Mariel Hemingway as women who would even look at Woody Allen, let alone fall in love with/marry him. Thank Christ he took himself out of "Celebrity", sparing us the sight of him wooing Charlize Theron and Winona Ryder.

by Anonymousreply 11205/30/2013

Chris Rock in the straight dramatic role of a crackhead in "New Jack City". Just painful.

by Anonymousreply 11305/30/2013

Joan Fucking Crawford in my "Jane."

by Anonymousreply 11405/30/2013

Miss Davis in my "Jane." So coarse and unrealistic. Of course it was easy to believe she would serve vermin and pets to an invalid for luncheon, but how in the world could anyone believe that - thing - was my sister?

by Anonymousreply 11505/30/2013

R111 Looks like SJP's scenes as Steinem have been all cut from the movie anyway.

by Anonymousreply 11605/30/2013

Matt Damon in Behind The Candelabra

by Anonymousreply 11705/30/2013

Good. Thanks, R116.

by Anonymousreply 11805/30/2013

I did like Woody in Broadway Danny Rose

by Anonymousreply 11905/30/2013

Mila Kunis in OZ The Great and Powerful. Probably the most important role in the franchise and they cast a sitcom actress with plenty of charm and potential but she didn't have the training or depth to take on the role. Didn't help to surround her with two far more trained/experienced actresses.

by Anonymousreply 12005/30/2013

Robin Williams was so confusing in Good Morning Vietnam. The character was clearly meant to be basically a kid, but he looked like a middle aged man.

by Anonymousreply 12105/30/2013

R121 yeah she was so wrong for the role. Oh and Queen Cuntbag herself Gwennie Paltrow in Iron Man 3. She has the sexual allure of a lampshade in that one and had not zero chemistry with Downey Jr but rather negative chemistry if one can imagine that.When she became a freak in that third film, I turned and said to my friend :"is that what that cunt is really like in real life?"

by Anonymousreply 12205/30/2013

[quote]Florence Henderson as Carol Brady. That role had Bea Arthur's name written all over it.

That was my fucking role!

by Anonymousreply 12305/30/2013

[quote]Big, fat, homely Rosie O'Donnell playing Betty Rubble never made a great deal of sense to me.

Oooh, that's a good one. I appreciate alternative & creative casting, and casting against type. However, this was just wrong. I read that O'Donnell got the role largely on the strength of being able to do the Betty giggle. She was still wrong for the role.

by Anonymousreply 12405/30/2013

Maggie Grace as the daughter in TAKEN and TAKEN 2. Her character was supposed to be 17 and Grace looked (and is) much older. That, and her being tall and big boned (which is regular size IRL), just made me see an adult poorly playing a rather weak and annoying teen. Her role was pivotal, yet she kept taking me out of both movies.

by Anonymousreply 12505/30/2013

Most of the roles Tom Hanks played in Cloud Atlas, especially Zachry.

by Anonymousreply 12605/30/2013

R79 is a dumb Hollywood exec! None of the people I mentioned are even remotely talented.

by Anonymousreply 12705/30/2013

Whoever said Barbra as a high end escort made me laugh. On what planet? Next thing you know Jennifer Anniston will Bo playing a hot stripper. Planet Insecure!

Redford is so miscast in Out of Africa. Timothy Dalton would have really steamed Meryl up. The major sleep around actress! Who knew.

Please don't forget Meryl as Shirley MacLaine's daughter! Hysterical but they gave it the old shoe polish try. Hello from Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 12805/31/2013

[quote]Please don't forget Meryl as Shirley MacLaine's daughter!

Even that wasn't as laughably bad as Babs Streisand casting herself as Betty Bacall's daughter in the godawful "The Mirror Has Two Ugly Faces (And They're Both Mine)".

by Anonymousreply 13005/31/2013

R122 Goop has amazing chemistry with RDJ. You must be either blind or you have bad judgement.

by Anonymousreply 13105/31/2013

suzanne somers in 'she's the sheriff'. suzanne is far too regal to be believable as a peace officer

by Anonymousreply 13205/31/2013

How did I forget all those near-30-year-olds playing high schoolers in "Grease"? Was 34-year-old Stockard Channing really the best one they could find?

by Anonymousreply 13305/31/2013

Bernadette Peters, if you believe the vapid theatertards. They keep claiming she is miscast instead of facing the truth that she is a singer, not an actress. She was rather good on Smash but I imagine she had more than a few retakes.

If you confront the tards about Peters' lack of acting abilities, they dredge up 'Pennies from Heaven' - another 30+ year old project where boyfriend Steve Martin could do take after take.

Bernie's Sondheim concerts are wonderful and she is a great person and true friend of gays and animals. But it is absurd to keep blaming her lack of acting chops on miscasting. If you're an actor, you can embody a role. Bernie has been passable but never brilliant. She was very good in 'Mack and Mabel' and 'Song and Dance'. She was passable to bad in everything else I can think of.

Deal with it.

by Anonymousreply 13405/31/2013

Shut up, Patti LuPone!

by Anonymousreply 13505/31/2013

R131 You must have your caftan rapped around your face honey, obscuring not only your vision BUT your judgement. Gwennie wouldn't have chemistry with a trash can let alone with Downey Jr. Blythe Danner(Paltrow's mom) might be a cunt but she can act. Gwennie is a cunt and the only time she received an award for her acting in Hollywood is when she went down on bended knee and sucked and swallowed Heavy Whalestein.

by Anonymousreply 13605/31/2013

It took too much effort to cut and paste Jennifer Jason Leigh's oeuvre. And looked too obsessive.

by Anonymousreply 13705/31/2013

oh god i agree that jennifer jason leigh sucks. why does she act? shes the creepy, neurotic girl everyone picks on and avoids in real life, brings that "charm" to every single role. im glad she doesn't get parts anymore. i dont know if she was good, but was well cast 'last exit', street hooker gang banged to death. maybe i can handle her in a bit part like in 'greenberg' but thats it

by Anonymousreply 13805/31/2013

Perhaps people feel sorry for her because her father's role in Twilight Zone got sliced up.

by Anonymousreply 13905/31/2013

R136

I seriously doubt you understand much about acting or now much about movies. I also sense you are a bit too much obsessed with cheap gossip.

by Anonymousreply 14005/31/2013

Dick van Dyke: Mary Poppins

Russ Tamblyn and Richard Beymer: West Side Story

by Anonymousreply 14105/31/2013

R139 I read she hated him. of course she did. nothing normal coming from that kook. and i think she had a baby at, sincerely like 50 or 49yo, lol thats just not right

by Anonymousreply 14205/31/2013

I always picture Leigh's father, Vic Morrow, being a lot like his character in "The Bad News Bears."

by Anonymousreply 14305/31/2013

John Goodman in Red State and Dennis Quaid in The Words.

by Anonymousreply 14405/31/2013

R10 i don't remember the character well but pfeiffer played an abused woman, no? i am going to add to this list kate beckinsale in an indie called 'snow angels', though she was more just unexpected in the part, truthfully she was touchingly unaffected as a harassed, working-class waitress. i was actully impressed

by Anonymousreply 14505/31/2013

R140 You are a GOOP stalker then? Only a Paltrow obsessive would deny her inner cuntiness and lack of talent. The next thing you're going to tell me that she was splendid in Country Strong?! What about her horrid vocals in that tepid cornball movie called Duets?

I know great acting, Streep ,Close and Lange are great actresses. Paltrow isn't fit to shine their shoes let alone be in the same film as those wonderful actresses.

The Heavy Whalestein reference touched a nerve...good.He's not getting these casting couch conquests because of his good looks honey. I disrespect all these Gretchen Mol types who have fucked, sucked and blown him. I mean who schmoozes their friend(Tina Brown) to get a complete nobody on the cover of Vanity Fair twice in one year?

by Anonymousreply 14606/01/2013

Jeremy Piven in Mr. Selfridge.

by Anonymousreply 14706/01/2013

R146 Spent some time in reality every now and then, things will get better for you, I am sure!

by Anonymousreply 14806/01/2013

1 million internets to R147! You win hands down!

by Anonymousreply 14906/01/2013

Mel Gibson in Braveheart. Awful casting. That first scene, when he's riding up with the long flowing hair and the wrinkles, I laughed out loud. He was way too old, and too short for that part, and his Scottish accent was atrocious.

For all the money it made, 300, starring Gerard Butler. Awful. He physically resembled the character in the comic book by Frank Miller, but his horrible accent and buffoonish behavior, especially compared to the other actors in their roles, ruined the movie for me. Of course I was hot for Rodrigo Santoro. And all those naked torsos of the Spartan warriors.

Brad Pitt as Achilles in Troy. No explanation necessary. Terrible. Awful. Embarrassing.

Kevin Spacey as Bobby Darin. No. Just. No. And wasn't the consistently awful Kate Bosworth Sandra Dee? As if. So both of them for the Bobby Darin Bio Pic. I mean who gives a fuck about a bio pic for Bobby Darin anyway.

Eric Bana as the Jewish agent/assassin in Munich. Bad accent, too.

Jake Gyllenhaal right up there with Mel and Gerard Butler for his embarrassingly awful turn as a Persian Prince, with long hair and a really very bad British accent.

Laura Linney in Love Actually. The scene when Rodrigo Santoro is trying to make love to her and says, "You're so beautiful" made me laugh out loud. I love Laura Linney, but no one would ever consider her beautiful.

To balance this out, we should probably start a thread about actors who were so perfectly cast that the role defined them forever. I can't but someone should. Please?

by Anonymousreply 15006/01/2013

R148 I am in reality, Gwennie is a no-talent uppity cunt! In other words GOOP IS POOP!

by Anonymousreply 15106/01/2013

[quote]Sofia Coppola in "Godfather III" is an obvious dartboard but it's not really a true miscast because she wasn't cast for that part.

George Hamilton was the one who was miscast in III.

by Anonymousreply 15206/01/2013

I agree R152. He was OK until he opened his mouth and tried to act.

by Anonymousreply 15306/01/2013

Ricardo Monteban in Sayonara. I will admit that his performance isn't as offensive as Mickey Rooney's in Breakfast at Tiffany's. In fact, Monteban gives his role a lot of dignity. But it takes a lot of suspension of belief to see ta Mexican American actor in the role of Japanese man who is a star of the kibuki stage

by Anonymousreply 15406/01/2013

There's an "L" in his name, R154. An "L". Montalban. And I agree, think he was definitely miscast.

by Anonymousreply 15506/01/2013

R152 Hamilton was bad in Godfather III, Sofia Coppola was absolutely terrible! Though I remember Pacino saying something to the effect(quite catty and bitchy) that Francis Coppola tried to make George Hamilton into an actor...OUCH!,

by Anonymousreply 15606/01/2013

Jaden Smith, After Earth.

by Anonymousreply 15706/03/2013

Barbra as Dolly. Doing Mae West in (very) slow motion.

by Anonymousreply 15809/27/2013

r80, I can tell you what happened to Anne Rice when she went all Stepford about the stunningly destructive casting of TC as a towering blond vampire stud: money.

She was bought off big-time by the studio, and they may have owned the movie rights to other books of hers that they could have threatened to deep six.

Also, I believe that that was around the time she was having a major health crisis, and she was probably just not firing on all cylinders when she praised Cruise's performance (please!).

Oh, and r144 - I LOVE John Goodman in Red State! He strikes exactly the right balance between (black) humor and creepiness that defines that whole film. But the guy who played the crazed preacher was even better. (I just googled that guy -- his name is Michael Parks, but I've never noticed him in anything else.)

by Anonymousreply 15909/27/2013

Peeta in the Hunger Games. The character is a gentle giant who bakes. It's essential, especially in comparison to Liam. The actor is physically the opposite.

by Anonymousreply 16009/27/2013

Elrod in LOTR. Elves are supposed to be stunningly beautiful; his voice borders on parody.

by Anonymousreply 16109/27/2013

R150. Forgot about Brad Pitt in Troy. He looked like a mildly mentally challenged, confused ape whenever he tried to emote. He was perfect for Legends of the Fall, but no one with his nose should play a Greek God. I expected him to pull out a skateboard.

by Anonymousreply 16209/27/2013

"Elrod in LOTR. Elves are supposed to be stunningly beautiful; his voice borders on parody"

Elrond?

I thought Hugo Weaving was pitch perfect as the vastly old elven leader..

by Anonymousreply 16309/27/2013

r160 you are SO right. And Josh Hutcherson is just so...dainty compared to J Law that you can always tell they're shooting from angles and pulling tricks to increase his physical presence. They really missed the mark with that casting.

by Anonymousreply 16409/27/2013

r159 I always liked Michael Parks, he's been around a LONG time. I think he was supposed to have been the new James Dean, but it never happened.

by Anonymousreply 16509/27/2013

[all posts by tedious troll removed.]

by Anonymousreply 16609/27/2013

Keanu Reeves in Bram Stoker's Dracula.

by Anonymousreply 16709/28/2013

Natalie Wood in "Inside Daisy Clover" was too old. She was both trying to act and be adorable. She wanted to be taken seriously as an actress while trying to launch herself as a musical star. Hopeless.

by Anonymousreply 16809/28/2013

r167, I'd raise that to Keanu Reeves in anything that requires him to do more than stand there and look confused.

He is good at that.

by Anonymousreply 16909/28/2013

Barack Obama as a Democratic President. There, its been said.

by Anonymousreply 17009/28/2013

I hate to say this, but Sidney Poitier as Thurgood Marshall in "Separate but Equal" and Ben Vereen as Chicken George in "Roots". Clearly talented men, but not physically realistic for their roles. Both Marshall and Chicken George were mixed race, light-skinned African-Americans, which played a big role in their stations in life. I blame white casting directors for not getting the nuances of skin tone in the black community.

by Anonymousreply 17109/28/2013

I agree with Halle Berry as Storm--totally wrong. Never captured the regal-ness (is that a word?) of the character. And it should have been one or the other with Famke Janssen and James Marsden as Jean Grey and Cyclops--the age difference looked too great. Hated how Cyclops got such short shrift in the X movies--he is the original X-man, after all.

by Anonymousreply 17209/28/2013

Ava Gardner and Fred Astaire in "On The Beach". Both were too old for their characters, especially Astaire, whose acting was hammy and awful. His character was supposed to be 30; Fred was twice that age.

by Anonymousreply 17309/28/2013

Not to mention, neither Gardner nor Astaire had the necessary Australian accents to make their characters believable.

by Anonymousreply 17409/28/2013

Bernadette Peters in FOLLIES.

by Anonymousreply 17509/28/2013

Tom Cruise in anything but especially Jack Reacher.

by Anonymousreply 17609/28/2013

Julia Ormond as Sabrina.

by Anonymousreply 17709/28/2013

Melanie Griffith talking about business mergers in her baby voice in Working Girl. Oy!

by Anonymousreply 17809/28/2013

I thought Balthazar Getty sucked in David Lynch's "Lost Highway". His innate cluelessness and surliness got him through a surly, clueless role, but he clearly didn't "get" Lynch and his performance was generally vacant, of the "is this good enough?" varietal. I think his vain dullness was used to good effect by Lynch as he was playing, after all, a stock horny young man character , but I don't think he understood what an opportunity he had in front of him, and he did nothing with it. His casting was probably the result of elite agency wheeling and dealing, of the kind depicted in Lynch's "Mulholland Drive".

by Anonymousreply 17909/28/2013

I still get pissed thinking about Joanne Whaley as Scarlett Ohara in the tv mini series . Her coloring and Huge BROWN eyes ruined any chance if becoming the character of Scarlett. She didn't come close to pulling it off .

Meg Ryan as Jim Morrissons GF Pamela Courison just awful awful. ANYONE else would have been better.

Campbell Scott in Dying Young.

Agree with the poster who said Michelle Pfieffer in age if innocence.

Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction. Woody Harrellson in Indecent Propsosal.

I liked Robert Redford in Out of Africa but I didn't read the book and I was about 14 when I saw it.

by Anonymousreply 18009/28/2013

Meryl Streep in Julie & Julia.

Will Smith in Ali.

Both performances weren't performances as much as they were impersonations of famous people.

Robert Redford had no business in Out of Africa. To not use a British accent because he and Sydney Pollack thought that it would be too "distracting"? Bullshit. Either use the accent or hire an actor who can. And while I won't say she was miscast in this, Meryl is incredibly mannered in this film.

"Uhhhh haahhhd a faaahhm eeen Ufffreeeka".

by Anonymousreply 18109/28/2013

Out of Africa is so racist. It's a big, racist, Ralph Lauren bedding commercial, in which resourceful white people with unconvincing accents do whatever the hell they want, and occasionally rescue clueless black people - in their OWN country!

by Anonymousreply 18209/28/2013

Any hollywood actor over 45 playing opposite a >30-year-old leading lady.

by Anonymousreply 18309/28/2013

No one mentioned Adam Sandler playing an NFL quarterback in The Longest Yard?! That one is pretty glaring. He doesn't look like he could play pee wee football.

Also, Adam Sandler as a man that Jennifer Aniston and Brooklyn Decker would fall for in Just Go With It.

These are good examples of "vanity casting"

by Anonymousreply 18409/28/2013

JGL in Don Jon

by Anonymousreply 18509/28/2013

Adam Sandler in most movies.

by Anonymousreply 18609/28/2013

"JGL in Don Jon"

I love JGL....but I agree with this. He isn't believable as a meathead.

by Anonymousreply 18709/28/2013

Meryl Streep in the Wild Women of Chastity Gulch.

by Anonymousreply 18809/28/2013

Melanie Griffith in Shining Through. With Michael Douglas. It was supposed to be this gut wrenching NAZI spy thriller. I remember going to see it in the theater and we were laughing. It was that bad.

by Anonymousreply 18909/28/2013

Charlize Theron in Aeon Flux.

by Anonymousreply 19009/28/2013

Patty Duke thought she was Miscast Neely O'Hara, but we know she wasn't lol

by Anonymousreply 19109/28/2013

Bump

by Anonymousreply 19209/29/2013

Todd Haines (Haymes?) needs to remake Valley Of The Dolls.

by Anonymousreply 19309/29/2013

John Boner as Speaker of the House.

by Anonymousreply 19410/01/2013

Jodie Foster as a straight romantic lead. (See Maverick with Mel Gibson. Awful)

by Anonymousreply 19510/01/2013

[quote]Ava Gardner and Fred Astaire in "On The Beach". Both were too old for their characters, especially Astaire, whose acting was hammy and awful. His character was supposed to be 30; Fred was twice that age.

Exposure to radiation ages the skin. CASTING GENIUS.

by Anonymousreply 19610/01/2013

"Jodie Foster as a straight romantic lead. (See Maverick with Mel Gibson. Awful)"

I actually thought this was one of the few movies she did where she had chemistry with the male lead....maybe because she is friends with Mel in real life.

by Anonymousreply 19710/01/2013

Agree about Halle Berry in X-Men. It should have been Angella Basset

by Anonymousreply 19810/01/2013

It should have been Pam Grier!

by Anonymousreply 19910/01/2013

Toby Maguire as Spiderman. He is such a terrible actor that he couldn't even make a comic book character watchable. I'll never understand how he got that part.

by Anonymousreply 20010/01/2013

Paltrow in Shakespeare in Love

by Anonymousreply 20110/01/2013

John Boehner - Speaker of the House

by Anonymousreply 20210/01/2013

hate Paltrow for who she is...BUT she was pretty good in Shakespeare, and Ripley, and Proof, and Seven, and Flesh and Bone.

by Anonymousreply 20310/01/2013
Need more help? Click Here.