Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Why do so many people love Mash?

Was it really that great? I've watched a couple of episodes and I barely made it through.

by Anonymousreply 13612/15/2013

the theme song sent me into extacy

by Anonymousreply 105/27/2013

Sour mash sometimes sends me into ecstasy.

M.A.S.H. (ahem!), and its ugly, tuneless theme song-didn't do much for me. Late arrival Mike Farrell added eye candy to the equation. Farr, Morgan and Linville & Stiers were fine. Swit, Alda, Stevenson and the pompous guy who played Radar annoyed the shit outta me.

Verdict: My then-teenaged self would probably have been found with a good, creepy novel and a Black Sabbath LP for company when M.A.S.H. was on.

by Anonymousreply 205/27/2013

Never laughed once. Not once.

by Anonymousreply 305/27/2013

It was just interesting and funny enough to watch once, but most episodes don't hold up well to repeated viewings, especially after nearly 40 yrs.

by Anonymousreply 405/27/2013

Thankfully, those people are dying.

Anecdotal at best: when the show went into syndication, I could tell if the episode was filmed after 1976 - my folks would turn off their television and close up the house early.

by Anonymousreply 505/27/2013

I agree, OP. And I love old shows, but Mash, I couldn't do it.

by Anonymousreply 605/27/2013

Agreed, I tried to watch it on ME TV channel 20 San Francisco but how the hell can that show be about the Korean War when the hairdo's and snark is 70/80's?

by Anonymousreply 705/27/2013

The peak was between the time BJ and Potter arrived and when Radar left.

by Anonymousreply 805/27/2013

It bugged me that they had 5 Christmas episodes.

The Korean War was only 3 years long.

by Anonymousreply 905/27/2013

Put an S in front of it and see what you get.

by Anonymousreply 1005/27/2013

I think I may have posted this before, so please forgive me.

Here in the UK, MASH was shown without a laugh-track - it appeared to be a dark but funny comedy.

One evening, the BBC, by mistake, showed an episode WITH the laugh-track - showing what the producers etc THOUGHT was funny...

Letter campaigns of complaint to the BBC ensued...

And it may be significant that MASH has never been repeated on network tv in the UK...

by Anonymousreply 1105/27/2013

It sucks.

The film, though totally different, sucks as well.

Love the theme song, though.

by Anonymousreply 1205/27/2013

For r10 -

by Anonymousreply 1305/27/2013

I was a kid and never grasped what is was supposed to be.

by Anonymousreply 1405/27/2013

Oh, and the Blessed Hawkeye...

by Anonymousreply 1505/27/2013

Very interesting R11.

by Anonymousreply 1605/27/2013

I enjoyed it when the show ran initially. Mind you I watched around its peak and I was 12 or so. Now when I watch it, I'm mystified how the most grating, self-absorbed, whiny, sanctimonious and petulant character was its focus. I mean Hawkeye, not Frank.

by Anonymousreply 1705/27/2013

I loved the first season when Wayne Rogers was on. Once Alda took over and the series dragged on and on (longer than the actual war) I gave up. Though killing off McLean Stevenson's character was pretty powerful stuff. Anyone know if it's true they cut that scene when the initially repeated the episode because it was too disturbing for some viewers?

by Anonymousreply 1805/27/2013

I recall that the show --and its actors-- became painfully sanctimonious with success.

I confess to feeling a bit sad for its fanatics, a few of whom surface on DataLounge with regularity. It's a sign of people whose lives peaked sometime in the 1972-1983, and who hung it up 30 years ago even as they hung out signs that read "Keep off my lawn!"

by Anonymousreply 1905/27/2013

For its time, it was ground breaking TV. Now the earnestness and preachiness of the 70's is dated. Alan Alda was the perfect 70's man: strong, tortured, talked about his feelings and a strong feminist.

by Anonymousreply 2005/27/2013

[quote]Now the earnestness and preachiness of the 70's is dated.

Can somebody please break this to Aaron Sorkin?

by Anonymousreply 2105/27/2013

[all posts by tedious troll removed.]

by Anonymousreply 2205/27/2013

Agree with R20. There had never been anything like it. It's all about context. Things we may take for granted now simply hadn't been done at the time Mash began.

by Anonymousreply 2305/27/2013

(R18) That scene has not been cut from the syndicated version.

by Anonymousreply 2405/27/2013

Is this the show that stars Debra Meing and Anjelica Huton?

by Anonymousreply 2505/27/2013

It resonated in the 70s because it was understood to be really about the Vietnam conflict, then still raging and tearing the country apart.

But then it went on and on and on, into the early Reagan years.

by Anonymousreply 2605/27/2013

As a kid, Alan Alda was very irritating with his nasally voice, but the theme song is great. It's called "Suicide Is Painless".

by Anonymousreply 2705/27/2013

The instrumental version of the theme song always made me laugh with its little Peter Matz Orchestra flourish at the end.

by Anonymousreply 2805/27/2013

Weirdly, my conservative father and grandparents loved this show back during its original run. They'd call it commie propaganda now.

by Anonymousreply 2905/27/2013

OP, M.A.S.H. belonged to the war generation. You wouldn't understand and I do I because I wasn't even born yet. People watching that show had brothers and friends who died in Vietnam and in Korea. It was a show that allowed its audience to laugh even as the war ravaged on.

I don't understand Dylan either, but I know he has a place in history.

by Anonymousreply 3005/27/2013

I grew up with it, but never cared for the show.

by Anonymousreply 3105/27/2013

The movie M*A*S*H with young Donald Sutherland, Tom Skerrit and Elliot Gould (not to mention Sally Kellerman and Robert Duvall) was MUCH better and funnier than the TV show.

by Anonymousreply 3205/27/2013

Was very clever and smart when it first aired. Insightful commentary about the Vietnam War at a time when it was not safe to comment about it directly.

Haven't watched it in decades. Can't imagine it's held up well. But the scene where Radar announces that Col. Blake's plane was shot down was powerful stuff. I'm getting chills just thinking about it.

by Anonymousreply 3305/27/2013

The DVDs let you select whether to watch the show with a laugh track or without. I was actually excited to watch it without, having only ever seen the syndicated reruns withe the laughter.

It seemed wrong, somehow. Maybe if I'd never seen it with the laugh track I'd feel differently, but even though I hate cheesy canned laughter it somehow makes sense to me.

FWIW, I've always liked the show and watch it occasionally even still. As someone too young to remember Vietnam (or Korea), I feel like it helps me "get" that time in history. Plus, my parents liked it and it always came on later at night so there was something cool and adult about it.

by Anonymousreply 3405/27/2013

All I want is a damned cup of coffee.

by Anonymousreply 3505/27/2013

I watched it with my dad, and he got a kick out of Frank Burns. It was okay, but not a favorite but because it was something dad and I did together, I enjoy it for that reason.

by Anonymousreply 3605/27/2013

I've always HATED this show. From the annoying theme song to the beyond fake laugh track, I have no idea how the show lasted as long as it did.

by Anonymousreply 3705/27/2013

[quote]I was a kid and never grasped what is was supposed to be.

It's possible Mash was one of those rare TV shows whose intended audience was adults rather than kids and teens. That never seems to happen now that all entertainment is geared toward 12-14 year old boys.

by Anonymousreply 3805/27/2013

GAWDAWFUL! I have no idea why I loved it at the time. Blech!

by Anonymousreply 3905/27/2013

sadly I find it hasn't aged that well, I was definitely a fan when it was first run, but by the end the piety of Alan Alda was getting a bit tired. Kinda have the same reaction to "Seinfeld", in terms of a show not aging well, I mean, as long as this is one of those pointless bitchery threads.

However, the words from a view responses back--- painfully sanctimonious-- how perfectly datalounge of MASH !!

by Anonymousreply 4005/28/2013

For the long length of the show, there are only a few stand out episodes (the gay soldier, the soldier with shell shock who thinks he's Jesus, Hot Lips' breakdown over the dog, and of course the finale). Can anyone name other episodes which they remember without having to research?

by Anonymousreply 4105/28/2013

the snotty guy's sister marries a greek guy, and he's outraged, klinger of course tries ton convince him that having Greek inlaws will be fine, hilarity ensues.

by Anonymousreply 4205/28/2013

other episodes that I recall fondly---the very few episodes that truly focused on BJ, i.e. both times he found himself being unfaithful or on the verge of being unfaithful to his wife, and the one where he tried to "save" a Korean family, only to have the reality of the war cause the family to dissappear overnight, probly seeking a safer haven. Also, the one where BJ instigated a "reunion" for all their families to attend in New York, a reunion minus any of the MASH corps, because they were still trying to save lives. When Charles tried to convince the injured soldier/pianist he could still play and introduced him to the left hand, specifically Maurice Ravel's "Piano Concerto for the Left Hand."

by Anonymousreply 4305/28/2013

Alda was considered to be such a great actor and his character such a great creation but when I watch episodes now all I can think of is how tortured and belabored the humor is, and how sanctimonious.

Wayne Rogers was really the only eye candy on the show and he left way too early.

by Anonymousreply 4405/28/2013

Never understood the love for M*A*S*H. The humor was usually too obvious.No chance for much physical comedy, but the jokes were not sharp or clever enough for me.

by Anonymousreply 4505/28/2013

One thing that would never fly on TV today is the casual adultery by the married main characters. Colonel Blake, McIntyre, Frank Burns, and Hot Lips were involved in extra-marital affairs either continuously or at some point during their tenure on the show.

by Anonymousreply 4705/28/2013

Compared to a lot of comedies of the time, it was damn near highbrow. Think about all of the comedies you enjoyed as a kid. 90% of them don't hold up at all and seem like they were written FOR children. It'd be like if an adult (who wasn't a pedophile) said Full House was their favorite show.

Some of its sentimentality comes off schmaltzy to today's jaded eyes but there was a lot of moving stuff there. Alan Alda was also unique at the time.

by Anonymousreply 4805/28/2013

This is how I feel about Arrested Development, OP.

by Anonymousreply 4905/28/2013

I like mash, but French fried, double-stuffed, and tots are good, too.

by Anonymousreply 5005/28/2013

When it became "The Alan Alda Show" it went downhill rapidly. The earlier years were the best. It was indeed written for adults and, as such, would never hit the airwaves today.

How many shows do age well, though?

by Anonymousreply 5105/28/2013

Never have so many been so miserable so that so few could be so happy.

by Anonymousreply 5205/28/2013

I liked it a lot as a kid and still do now.

As with other shows of the 70s, some episodes are timeless, and others have aged badly.

I actually liked the middle/later years (never liked Frank Burns) but it did get kind of ridiculous in the last year or two. I liked Alan Alda a lot but by that second to last year he was on way too much.

I loved Col. Potter, and thought Margaret's evolution was perfect. And BJ was so freakin' hot.

by Anonymousreply 5305/28/2013

Colonel Flagg: Hey, you! Klinger: What? Colonel Flagg: This is the army, soldier! Klinger: I get that feeling too! Colonel Flagg: Hey! Klinger: What? Colonel Flagg: The next time I see you, Tinker Bell, you'd better be in uniform and as GI as General MacArthur! You hear me? Klinger: Loud and clear, Mary.

Colonel Flagg: [cornering Hawkeye] Your butt is in my sling. Hawkeye: Take me I'm yours. Colonel Flagg: I knew it, you're one of those too.

by Anonymousreply 5405/28/2013

TRied to watch it a couple of time but found it so boring and not very funny. Plus I never liked Alan Alda.

by Anonymousreply 5505/28/2013

I LOVED Col. Flagg!: Don't play dumb! You're not as good at it as I am!

by Anonymousreply 5605/28/2013

Col. Flagg (dictating a coded message to Radar): Mairzy doats and doazy doats, and I'll be home for Christmas. Your loving son, Queen Victoria.

by Anonymousreply 5705/28/2013

I really liked it when I was as a kid. As an adult, not so much. As an adult I could see Hawkeye and Trapper and BJ for what they were: a bunch of unbearable assholes. That goes for the movie, too. I liked it when I was a kid but as an adult I found Hawkeye, Trapper and Duke to be revolting creeps.

The early shows were very uneven and mostly rather crummy. Even then the sanctimony and self-righteousness of Hawkeye and Trapper (and later BJ) were hard to stomach. For all their boozing and womanizing and corruption they were passed off as compassionate caring human beings, not like those cold-hearted "regular army" officers like Frank and Houlihan. Their superior attitudes were annoying as hell.

I liked McLean Steven's character Henry Blake. He was great in the role; it really was his niche. But he let the success go to his head; he wanted to be a STAR, not part of an ensemble. So he left the best role of his career and went from one failed tv series to another. But his character's demise was one of the great stunning moments in television.

Klinger was the one acting crazy to get a Section Eight but as I recall ALL of the characters (except Radar) had some type of emotional breakdown (some of them had several) that made them seem off their rocker. I read somewhere that if anybody was to have gotten a Section Eight it was Hawkeye! He was a doctor and he went nuts not once but several times until finally he did end up in an army mental hospital. It was long overdue. If it had been a real life situation he would have been discharged long before that.

As the series went on Loretta Swit looked more and more lie a guy in drag. She was supposed to be a babe, but except for very early in the show she always had a hard, masculine look about it. And her wigs were awful.

Edward Winter was wonderful as Colonel Flagg. The episodes he was in were usually pretty good, except for a episode where Flagg is made a fool of by Charles Winchester. In that episode Flagg is made out to be even dumber than usual, if that's possible. It was one of the least successful episodes of MASH that I've ever seen. Sadly, Edward Winter died at age 63, of Parkinson's disease.

by Anonymousreply 5805/28/2013

It was about the Korean War with Vietnam type preachiness. It was funny the first season and then went on way too long. The bloated two hour finale was horrible; I never made it through the whole thing.

by Anonymousreply 5905/28/2013

R58 - Loretta Swit lost a lot of weight over the course of the series, going from chubby to gaunt.

by Anonymousreply 6005/28/2013

It was okay. There were some genuinely fine episodes, like the dreams episode, or the one where Charles keeps sending the mean letters to his sister Honoria for having a fiance who is socially beneath her, and then has to eat crow and apologize when he discovers she's been deserted and is heartbroken.

The show was mostly about America's reaction to the Viet Nam War: seeing it as senseless, and bonding over its insanity. But that's why it's not aged well.

by Anonymousreply 6105/28/2013

I tried to watch it last night. So fucking unfunny. Especially Loretta's fried perm hair.

by Anonymousreply 6209/04/2013

Love the film; *detested* the series.

Always had a crush on Wayne Rogers, though.

by Anonymousreply 6309/06/2013

Pray tell, r64, what stimulating threads have you contributed to the greater good? Let me guess: "I plan to get fucked for the first time. How should I prepare my hole?"

by Anonymousreply 6509/06/2013

It was a very good show with a conscience. The producers used the help of actual medical personnel that served in Korea. The writing was great, with special emphasis on the friendship between the characters and detailed character development.

M*A*S*H was one of several top, well-written series of the 1970s, which included Mary Tyler Moore (winner of numerous awards) and All in the Family.

Like I Love Lucy's 60-year endurance, a good show stays on years after it ends, while lousy shows fade into the dim era they were spawned in. M*A*S*H has endured the decades because it was and will forever be a true "classic" TV series. And it's not considered a "sitcom," either, despite the humor aspect. To call it a "sitcom" would be an insult.

It endures just like fine aged wine, cheese, porcelain, a good watch, or a well-done oil painting.

by Anonymousreply 6609/06/2013

I liked the show. Best episode was the one where the entire thing was seen from beginning to end through the eyes of one of the wounded soldiers.

by Anonymousreply 6709/07/2013

The only funny scene I ever saw on the show was General Macarthur driving by Klinger dressed as the Statue of Liberty.

by Anonymousreply 6809/07/2013

R64 is correct.

by Anonymousreply 6909/07/2013

All I wanted was a damned cup of coffee.

by Anonymousreply 7009/07/2013

Dated. Reboot based on Afghanistan.

by Anonymousreply 7109/07/2013

One of my favorite episodes was the one where the camp is in the middle of a heat wave. Nobody can sleep so they all get up and try to occupy themselves; Hawkeye and and BJ in surgery, Charles working on his taxes with the help of Father Mulcahy, Klinger taking apart the P.A. system. Potter takes a sleeping pill to get some rest, but he keeps getting pulled out of his slumber by various people to help them get what they need. Margaret has a bad case of prickly heat on her behind, which results in a good scene where the entire camp is let in on her secret. I liked this episode because their was no seriousness, no self-righteousness, just silly, funny scenes.

by Anonymousreply 7209/07/2013

I don't have an answer for you, just a story. Many years ago I lived next door to an artist/painter, know abstract expressionist, student of Hans Hoffman, New York School etc.

He earned his living for many years writing for television. At that time writers wrote the complete script, they weren't group projects like they are today. He wrote for The Adams Family, Foreign Intrigue and several other early TV shows that I forget at the moment.

He and his wife were totally devoted to MASH. It was their favorite time of the day. They had their cocktail late every afternoon and watched reruns of Mash. They thought it the best writing on television.

by Anonymousreply 7309/07/2013

Because like Star Trek it spoke to the notion that maybe we could be civilized humans instead of barbarians with our loads of bigoted baggage and propaganda driven hatred of "the enemy" designed to feed the military industrial complex. In regard to the notion that the show is "dated", the aforementioned continues to this very day, so if you truly think that the subject matter is dated, then I fear that you are hopelessly, perhaps willingly, disconnected from reality.

by Anonymousreply 7412/12/2013

I grew up on M.A.S.H. in the '70s and early '80s and I loved it. I still do. It was very innovative and different than other sitcoms/dramas. It could be pretentious at times but it was a classy show with a terrific cast.

by Anonymousreply 7512/12/2013

Alan Alda is probably one of the most insufferable humans ever known.

by Anonymousreply 7612/12/2013

I am 18 and I grew up on MASH. It was my dad's favorite show and I got into it through him. He bought me the entire series on DVD and I have been watching them for years. It may be my favorite TV show ever.

My dad said that MASH was a show that every man he ever knew loved and every woman he ever knew hated. I have experienced that as well. Every girl I know hates that show and has no tolerance for it. LOL.

by Anonymousreply 7712/12/2013

I think M A S H has aged wonderfully and was one of the five best written television shows of all time. I'm not even close to being an elderghey either.

by Anonymousreply 7812/12/2013

Facts of Life, Golden Girls, Bosom Buddies and Too Close For Comfort owned Mash a billion times over. Mash was nothing but right-wing conservative propaganda. It was sexist, racist, unfunny, badly acted, badly written, and everything was colored baby diarrhea green. Drab boring green. They treated women like garbage. TV fodder for Reaganites.

Mash was anti-woman, people! Wake up.

by Anonymousreply 7912/12/2013

Oh, please, R79. You must be a troll. First off, The Facts of Life, Bosom Buddies and Too Close For Comfort were trash of the lowest order sitcoms in every way. Golden Girls was a good show, but it hardly owned M.A.S.H.

Second of all, if you really thought the show was "conservative propaganda" then you REALLY never watched M.A.S.H. at all. Alda and the producers were extremely liberal and the show was ANYTHING BUT racist, sexist or homophobic. They tackled all of those issues over the course of the show.

As for the green... it was a mobile army surgical hospital, what the fuck other color would things have been? What a loon!

by Anonymousreply 8012/12/2013

I hated Mash. I hate almost every show that people rave about. I hated Seinfeld, Breaking Bad, I Love Lucy, Cheers, those idiotic Star Trek shows and Lost. I think most people are idiots with low I.Q. if they like that shit.

by Anonymousreply 8112/12/2013

Great show!

by Anonymousreply 8212/12/2013

David Ogden Stiers (Charles Emerson Winchester) is one of us. He came out as gay quite a few years ago. I always loved his character and I suspected back then that he was a "member of the club", so to speak.

I grew up on MASH. I was 7 years old when it started in 1972 and almost 18 when it ended in 1983. Phenomenal writing. The show always took you to unexpected places. One week it was a slapstick comedy episode, the next is was a tear-jerking drama. It was amazing, and I personally think it has held up magnificently.

by Anonymousreply 8312/12/2013

who from the series is still alive?

by Anonymousreply 8412/12/2013

"Fish, liver, day after day! I've eaten a river of liver and an ocean of fish!"

by Anonymousreply 8512/12/2013

R84, Most are still living. From the main cast, only McLean Stevenson (Col. Blake), Larry Linville (Frank Burns) and Harry Morgan (Col. Potter) are deceased. The rest of the main cast are still living.

by Anonymousreply 8612/12/2013

Some of the Anti-M*A*S*H trolls are cracking me up. They say, "I saw it once and it was not even funny." That was the beauty of M*A*S*H, it wasn't always intended to be funny. Many episodes were hardcore dramas. It was quite unique in its day (and still is).

by Anonymousreply 8712/12/2013

MacLean Stevenson died fairly young, Harry Morgan was pushing a hundred when he died.

by Anonymousreply 8812/12/2013

In my experience, there were always people who "got" MASH, and people who didn't - I am grateful that I was one of the ones who "got" it. The show was always a richly rewarding experience for me. The show was one of my pop's favorites. I credit the show with softening his conservatism over the years it was on ("All in the Family" too). My dad became more liberal in his 30s and 40s and I attribute a big part of that to shows like MASH.

by Anonymousreply 8912/12/2013

My favorite two "MASH" episodes were the 1975 episode where Colonel Blake's plane was shot down and he was (shockingly at the time) killed, and the 1983 series finale. Very powerful stuff. I was a sniffling, crying little baby at the end of both of those episodes, eight years apart.

by Anonymousreply 9012/12/2013

My childhood in the late '70s and early '80s revolved around a handful of shows: M.A.S.H., WKRP in Cincinnati, Taxi, Barney Miller, Soap, and The Rockford Files. Those shows all hold up extremely well to me.

M.A.S.H. remains my favorite "sitcom" ever.

by Anonymousreply 9112/12/2013

"In the Futurama episode "War Is Heck, " Bender is treated by a robot doctor named iHawk — a parody of Alan Alda’s Benjamin Franklin “Hawkeye” Pierce from M*A*S*H*. At one point, the robot flips a switch from “irreverent” to “maudlin,” a reference to the duality of Alda’s character portrayal."

And that was pretty much MASH for me: the maudlin and the shticky "irreverence." The movie may have been an anti-Vietnam War piece, but the t.v. show was sitcom treacle.

by Anonymousreply 9212/12/2013

I discovered the show on TV by accident a few years ago and I love it. I have seen every episode at least twice. It was made years/decades before I was born (I was born in 1995) and it seems fresh to me. I think it is timeless.

by Anonymousreply 9312/12/2013

I think many of those old sitcoms were far superior to dreck made now. I can't even get through entire episodes of How I Met Your Mother, Modern Family, The Crazy Ones, The Millers, Two & A Half Men, Two Broke Girls, etc. I think they are banal and bland,

So many of those older shows, like Mash, I Love Lucy, W.K.R.P., Mary Tyler-Moore, Bob Newhart, All In The Family, The Jeffersons, Barney Miller, The Cosby Show, were so much better written, and they were genuinely funny. Many of today's show are just the same old unfunny jokes, over and over again.

Of the modern sitcoms, I do love It's Always Sunny in Phildelphia. It takes chances and goes out on a limb at times (like Seinfeld before it).

by Anonymousreply 9412/12/2013

I think MASH holds up quite well. I still love it. I get a warm feeling when I think of it. It reminds me of being a young boy in the '70s. My dad and I did not have a lot in common, but we loved each other dearly. We could sit down in front of the TV, flip the channel to CBS, and for that 30 minutes we bonded.

We laughed together, we repeated the jokes together and we enjoyed each other's company for that wonderful half-hour. For a brief while, we had a great bonding "hour" when WKRP in Cincinnati was on back-to-back with it (circa 1979-80).

I lost my dad a few years back, and that show will forever remind me of those special evenings (and my memories of his smiling and laughing face). MASH will always hold a special place in my heart.

by Anonymousreply 9512/12/2013

Best. Show. Ever!

by Anonymousreply 9612/12/2013

I like the show because it's fun, funny, and thought-provoking at the same time. On the surface, Hawkeye/Trapper, Hawkeye/B.J. were bumbling, boyish clowns, but when you looked deeper you saw two terrified, war-beaten guys who drank and womanized to put themselves into a state of denial about their terrifying and stressful ordeals. I loved the slapstick/dire drama format of the show. It made it more realistic.

by Anonymousreply 9712/12/2013

My favorites were the shows where they experimented with the episode format. Two TV documentary episodes, the real-time episode, the one that took place over the course of a year, the one in which everybody was dreaming, and the one shot from the perspective of a patient. They were a pretty creative lot.

by Anonymousreply 9812/12/2013

R98, Absolutely. Those two episodes were breathtaking and groundbreaking. Those episodes show how brilliant the writers actually were, and showcased how amazing that cast was. They were an amazing ensemble.

by Anonymousreply 9912/13/2013

As a gay teen boy in the early 1970s, there were not a lot of gay friendly or gay supportive shows on television. I remember watching an episode of M.A.S.H. (I think it was around 1973, the second season) where a wounded gay soldier was brought to the 4077th and I remember being so moved by the way Hawkeye and some of the others treated him. They treated him with compassion and friendship. The soldier was non-stereotypical and was unlike most of the gays you saw portrayed on sitcoms (the usual nelly, whiny, squealing guys, queening it up for laughs).

You rarely saw anything on TV like that episode in 1973. I have never seen that particular episode since, but it remains in my head and in my heart.

by Anonymousreply 10012/13/2013

I love it because they had great writers, a terrific cast and they were never afraid to take chances and shake the audience up. Prior to MASH, you never saw doctors operating on patients with blood squirting into the air. It was quite surreal to see blood in a sitcom.

by Anonymousreply 10112/13/2013

I think Mash was/is epic. It's been out of production for over 30 years but it is still remembered and loved by its original audiences and many of us who are younger have grown up on it in reruns.

by Anonymousreply 10212/13/2013

I wasn't born when it started but I love it. I still record late night reruns to watch on lazy Sundays. Two of my favorite episodes are the Christmas one where Charles has had expensive candy sent from home and won't share it with anyone do they all exclude him from the festivities but Klinger sees him talking to an old priest and realises the candy was for the orphans. The other is when a GI has knocked up a Korean girl then abandoned her. They have to find a home for the baby because Korean villagers will kill any child of mixed parentage. Until then I hadn't realised that the US was the only country that didn't take care of their soldiers bastard children. All the other countries that were in the Korean War sent the kids back home to be cared for except the US.

by Anonymousreply 10312/13/2013

I have mixed feelings about it. It was my favorite show in the '70s and I still think it's one of the best shows of all time. On the negative side, my divorced mom married an abusive alcoholic when I was 11 in 1975. He was extremely conservative and banned the following shows from being watched in the household: Mash, One Day At A Time, Mary Hartman-Mary Hartman, All In The Family, Saturday Night Live.

He caught me watching Mash one evening when he came in staggering drunk, he switched off the TV and proceeded to beat the shit out of me with his belt. He hit my ass, my legs, my back, and thrashed me until I bled. He picked me up, carried me by the beltloops of my jeans to my room, threw me on my bed and screamed at me for what seemed like forever. My mother just sat back and let him. I have never forgiven her for not sticking up for us kids.

From then on, watching it has been a bittersweet experience.

by Anonymousreply 10412/13/2013

I love M-A-S-H. I discovered it a year or so ago and I can't believe I have missed it for most of my 22 years. A terrific show that was consistently good.

by Anonymousreply 10512/13/2013

It's nice to be nice to the nice.

by Anonymousreply 10612/13/2013

"This is Frank Burns, one of our best surgeons. A real killer." -- Col. Henry Blake

"Okay, Radar, state your business, in one word or less." -- Hawkeye

"If we don't go crazy once in a while, we'll all go crazy." -- Hawkeye

"Marriage is probably the chief cause of divorce." -- Frank Burns

"I am not so think as you drunk I am." -- Margaret

"Sit down, Trap, it lets you use your best part." -- Hawkeye

"It's Frank's birthday, I wonder how old he is. Let's saw him in half tonight and count his rings." -- Hawkeye

"I am going to name my first wife after him." -- Hawkeye about Radar

"You different men are all alike." -- Margaret

"We all know it's brutal up there at the front, especially those of us at the rear" -- Frank

"Oh, pipe it out your porthole!" --- Frank

by Anonymousreply 10712/13/2013

I think it was a brilliant show and it still holds up very well. It was way ahead of its time.

by Anonymousreply 10812/13/2013

The show had a perfect cast. Every actor was perfect for his/her role. Magnificent writing.

by Anonymousreply 10912/13/2013

AMAZING SHOW! I LOVE IT.

by Anonymousreply 11012/13/2013

I am still very sentimental for MASH. It was a huge part of my growing up in the Seventies.

by Anonymousreply 11112/13/2013

Henry: "That scotch you just had is rye."

Margaret: "That's OK, the champagne I just had was gin."

by Anonymousreply 11212/13/2013

I always loved the episodes where they watched home movies sent back from the states: Henry goofing in his yard (with the huge underarm sweat stains), Frank's wedding (where his wife insists on driving), and Radar's family gathering. As Radar's mother is clearing the table, Hawkeye says, "She's going to put the flowers back in the ground."

by Anonymousreply 11312/13/2013

I love the episode where Margaret fights with Frank, requests a transfer and then gets piss drunk.

Margaret: "Did either of you ever kiss Frank?"

Trapper: "Not me. How about you?"

Hawkeye: "I was hoping maybe this New Year's Eve."

--

Margaret: "Major Margon Houlihat reporting for duty, sir!"

by Anonymousreply 11412/13/2013

I still love the show after all these years. I watch it anytime I stumble across it on TV. I have seen every episode umpteen times and they never get old.

by Anonymousreply 11512/13/2013

One thing they did get right were the humid summers and freezing winters. The climate is very similar to the Northeast and imagine having to sleep in tents during those conditions.

by Anonymousreply 11612/13/2013

I loved Frank & Margaret together. They were hilarious, that is until Linville's final season where they had broken up and she was seeing another dude and he was just miserable. Frank rocked.

by Anonymousreply 11712/13/2013

Gay guys generally didn't like MASH. Couched beneath the comedy, it was too grim & true to life, with little or no eye candy in the way of good looking, hunky guys or cute boys. They like fun, campy, happy TV shows with lots of dancing & singing and prancing characters named Jack, and Will & Terry! Or filled with beautiful boy vampires! Weeeee!

by Anonymousreply 11812/13/2013

I loved Colonel Potter. Every word out of his mouth made me laugh. Well, except when he was being sentimental, then I cried.

by Anonymousreply 11912/13/2013

Individuality is fine. As long as we all do it together.

by Anonymousreply 12012/13/2013

OP is posting from 1983

by Anonymousreply 12112/13/2013

Bullshit, R118. I am as gay as they cum and I loved MASH. The main cast was fug, but there was plenty of eye candy in the patients/guest stars (like Patrick Swayze and many, many other young hotties of the day).

I was born in 1965 and MASH was my favorite show in my youth. All of my gay friends loved it too. I found that many women (straight and lesbian) tended to dislike it.

by Anonymousreply 12212/13/2013

Don't fucking talk about Mike Farrell that way, r122.

by Anonymousreply 12312/13/2013

"I'm only paranoid because everyone is against me!" Major Frank Burns

by Anonymousreply 12412/13/2013

One of my favorite moments was when Frank was on the phone, talking to some guy who he thinks is a kindred spirit that is helping him oppress someone that's on his shit-list or something.

Frank: You know, you're my kind of fellow. *long pause* Whaaaat!? I BEG YOUR PARDON! I'm a married man! No, I won't call you again and don't you EVER call me!

The way he hangs up the phone, and we see his skin crawl is just CLASSIC. Loved Larry Linville.

by Anonymousreply 12512/13/2013

Do you like my perm?

by Anonymousreply 12612/13/2013

A few from Major Frank Burns:

"I don't chew my cabbage twice."

"Nertz."

"Diddly poo."

"Oh, can the malarkey!"

"It's the way these yellow devils think. It's burned into their brains. Kill Americans, kill, kill. They don't respect human life the way we do. I'd like to take him out and shoot him."

"I'm sick of hearing about the wounded. What about all the thousands of wonderful guys who are fighting this war without any of the credit or the glory that always goes to those lucky few who just happen to get shot?"

"Your eyes are sparkling like club soda."

"Marriage is probably the chief cause of divorce."

"I want foxholes there, there, there and there -- each one smartly dug. The kind of hole a man can throw himself into with pride."

"Not on your nellie. You won't catch me sleeping with an enlisted man."

"Any mindless baboon can see she isn't here, including me."

"Oh, go practice your putts!"

"Go peddle your fish!"

"Oh, pedal your petunias!"

"This was a great war, til you guys showed up."

"It's nice to be nice to the nice."

"It was one of those days that, more than most, reminds us that war, no matter how much we may enjoy it, is no strawberry festival."

"I have never cared, and at this point I don't care twice as much as I never cared before!"

"Your picture's in my wallet and I'm sitting on it, and if that's not love then I don't know what is!"

"The way I see it, unless we each conform, unless we obey orders, unless we follow our leaders blindly, there is no possible way we can remain free."

by Anonymousreply 12712/14/2013

I liked the show R188, and yes Mike Farrell was cute, R123.

AfterMASH wasn't bad -- one of THE most moving moments on TV was when Klinger had been told he failed the civil service exam for a job to support his family, was TOTALLY crushed, and then Alma says, "What's this? If 'Active Duty Veteran' add 5 points." Farr totally nailed Klinger's line of shock (paraphrased): "After all those years of misery, I FINALLY get paid back!" He passes by one point.

by Anonymousreply 12812/14/2013

Charles Winchester was a wonderfully drawn character.

by Anonymousreply 12912/14/2013

Early episodes were okay back in the day but now I've totally lost interest in watching the show.

by Anonymousreply 13012/14/2013

The character of Frank Burns, and Larry Linville's portrayal, was great. You were obviously supposed to dislike Frank but not too much to the point where he was hated. There were a few episodes where you actually felt sorry for him.

by Anonymousreply 13112/14/2013

Was Winchester's character supposed to be gay?

by Anonymousreply 13212/15/2013

R134 - The actor is gay. The character is not supposed to be.

by Anonymousreply 13312/15/2013

I was obviously not alive when the show aired (I'm 19) but I discovered it back in elementary school and fell in love with it. MASH is one of my fave shows ever. I think it has aged wonderfully.

by Anonymousreply 13412/15/2013
Need more help? Click Here.