Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

French Open 2013 Thread

Watch Rafa pick at his ass. Watch Andy pick at his scab of a soul. Will "Nole" pull it off (out of his own ass)? What will Murka be eating until the semis? Will her God Jehovah be there for Serena, or will he abandon her to allow her to threaten violence and hurl abuse? Why has he forsaken her? Will Mary Carillo's voice resemble that of my 5th grade gym teacher so much that I will be forced into a fetal position reliving memories of being picked last and being screamed at in that raspy, deep voice, "Get up you sissy and throw the god damned ball!" Will heterosexual Pam Shriver finally find the right man after her one-time Bond didn't do her majesty any service, secret or otherwise?

by Anonymousreply 26006/15/2013

Kinda sad that Venus lost today.

It's Serena I can't stand.

by Anonymousreply 105/27/2013

"Watch Rafa pick at his ass."

I love it when Rafa tugs at his hole. He seems compulsively driven to do it.

by Anonymousreply 205/27/2013

Berdych vs. Monfils in a 1st round match later today? I'm in!

And Wozniacki cannot be too thrilled about playing Laura Robson in her opening match, also later today.

by Anonymousreply 305/27/2013

Venus Williams OUT!

by Anonymousreply 405/27/2013

Bummed about Venus too. I think she'll retire soon, but I'd prefer her to go out on a stronger note.

I'd love to see two surprise winners.

by Anonymousreply 505/27/2013

I want to see some thick, jock-strapped ass under practically see-through white shorts.

Which matched should I tune in for/ which players should I watch?

by Anonymousreply 605/27/2013

R6, there's a Boris Becker v. Jimmy Connors match circa 1987 that you should tune in for.

I think that's the last time players wore jockstraps.

by Anonymousreply 705/27/2013

[quote]" Will heterosexual Pam Shriver finally find the right man after her one-time Bond didn't do her majesty any service, secret or otherwise?

Jesus, is Pam Shriver *still* in the closet, pretending to be straight? She makes Queen Latifah and Jodie Foster look like straight prom queen housewives. Heck even Martina looks kinda straight next to Pam.

Shriver probably had the hots for Chris Evert Lloyd and never could come to terms with it.

by Anonymousreply 805/27/2013

LOL R8, I'm still in the closet... As a HETEROSEXUAL! As folks in these parts know, I love the PEEN! I love 'em BIG n' THICK like Hewitt and Haas, or SKINNY n' SHORT like Agassi and Federer. That's one thing that me and my GAL PAL Maria Sharapova have in common is our passion for dudes' JUNK! I love asking Maria about Dimitrov's PACKAGE, she gets all sultry and starts licking her LIPS, and pinching those SUCCULENT nipples, and rubbing her ENGORGED lady parts, and - oh! Where was I? Sorry folks! Got a little carried away there!

Well, gotta run kids! My Aussie buddy Sam Stosur suggested I do our interview in the LOCKER ROOM while she gets her RUBDOWN after practice. I wonder if I should grab an extra TOWEL for Rennae Stubbs? I never know when she's going to jump in the SAUNA with us...

by Anonymousreply 905/27/2013

"I think she will retire soon..." That's the problem. You would think the great sports stars would know when to quit and hold on to their dignity but they never do. (Very few do, at any rate.) I'm hoping Federer won't make that mistake because I admire him so much. They all think there is just one more big victory in them and they hang on and look pathetic at the end.

by Anonymousreply 1005/27/2013

Venus wants to stay active so that she can make the Olympic team for Rio. But at this rate, her ranking won't be high enough to make the team.

by Anonymousreply 1105/27/2013

I'm happy for Monfils that he just took out Berdych. And the fact that he handled a 5 setter says something encouraging about his conditioning - although how many of them could he handle?

That sets him up for another match that I want to watch because next up he plays Gulbis. That will be fun because those are 2 of the most exuberant personalities in the ATP - although Gulbis' energy doesn't always favor the positive.

Also, if I were a lesbian, I think I'd want to eat out Flavia Pennetta - or whatever the lesbo equivalent is to "I want him in me deeply." Pammy?

by Anonymousreply 1205/27/2013

Has Pam done it with Flavia Pennetta?

by Anonymousreply 1305/27/2013

My man will win the trophy, bitches!

by Anonymousreply 1405/27/2013

This made me LOL.

[quote]"Sharapova can scream all day and I just go 'no' and I lose a point?" Anabel Medina Garrigues questions why she was penalised at break point in her defeat by Li Na.

by Anonymousreply 1505/27/2013

So what's the story of Pam Shriver's marriage to that much older actor who played James Bond once? They had three kids.

by Anonymousreply 1605/27/2013

Our style is timeless and lives on to this day, R7.

Keep your eye on the ball, but don't forget to check out the asses on display!

by Anonymousreply 1705/27/2013

[quote]So what's the story of Pam Shriver's marriage to that much older actor who played James Bond once? They had three kids.

Three kids??? Pam had three biological kids? Or were the kids adopted?

by Anonymousreply 1805/27/2013

Burka, which trophy? You're certainly no trophy. To be a trophy you have to be thin and svelte and, well, beautiful. Keep on eating those, what do you call them, Bon Bons? That's the sure way to trophydom. Hehe.

by Anonymousreply 1905/27/2013

Watching Rafa right now and Brands. Just read this thread and sure enough within 15 seconds, Rafa picks at his ass. The camera quickly changed view. He does look good though.

by Anonymousreply 2005/27/2013

Did anyone notice James Blake's gut? I don't know if it was the shirt, or what, but he seems to have a bit of a beer belly going on these days. ... Oh, James! :-(

by Anonymousreply 2105/27/2013

It sounds like they were bio kids. I'm more surprised that she found two husbands.

[quote]Her first husband, Joe Shapiro, a former Walt Disney Company lawyer, died of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma in 1999.

[quote]In 2002, Shriver married actor George Lazenby. She gave birth to their first child, George, Jr., on July 12, 2004, and to twins, Kate and Sam, on October 1, 2005. Shriver was also stepmother to Lazenby's daughter, Melanie Lazenby, from his previous marriage. The family lived in Brentwood, California. In August 2008, Shriver filed for divorce from Lazenby, citing "irreconcilable differences" for the end of the couple's six-year marriage.[5]

by Anonymousreply 2205/27/2013

Saw Pam with Lazenby on Montana Ave in Santa Monica around 10 or 12 years ago; it might have been when they were dating before they got married. The striking thing about them was that they were both very tall. She must be about 6'1" or 6'2". He was definitely taller. Tall women really like men who are taller (as I know from my tall friends; I'm pretty short.)

Never watched tennis when she was playing but I had just started watching tennis on TV and recognized her immediately and said "HiPam" (she didn't seem to like being recognized.)

He did look a lot older but he was still a good-looking guy (to me, straight middle-aged female). I didn't know who he was at the time. Women often are attracted to older men; they didn't look that unusual, esp for this neighborhood where there are lots of trophy wives married to rich older men.

by Anonymousreply 2305/27/2013

I would hardly characterize Pam as a "trophy wife."

by Anonymousreply 2405/27/2013

He's cute. Remind me of that French Footballer Giroud and someone else I can't remember...

by Anonymousreply 2505/27/2013

Just catching up on the early Monday matches. Don't recall if I've seen Aljaz Bedene play before (he lost to Tsonga this morning) but I'd make sure to catch every televised match of his from now on if I know the camera will cut to show his brother in the coach's box often.

They are identical twins, but Andraz was looking much hotter in the stands today than his brother on the court.

by Anonymousreply 2605/27/2013

[all posts by ham-fisted troll a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 2705/27/2013

Who will jump on them first? Peen-hungry Pam or cock-craving Masha?

by Anonymousreply 2805/27/2013

I thought Berdych had it today, he was more fit than Monfils....

by Anonymousreply 2905/27/2013

Any chance Shriver is just a butch straight woman? They are a dime a dozen.

by Anonymousreply 3005/27/2013

After Djokovic beats Goffin tomorrow (or later today depending on where in the world you are), I want to see him pick the little guy up and put him in his pocket. After all, that's what you do with pocket gays.

Also worth a mention: for any hot guys on the Roland Garros grounds on Tuesday, Jan-Michael Gambill should be available for blow jobs around lunch time. That's about how long it should take for his protege Coco to get bounced out of her first round match. Like Putintseva said, she's a terrible player - only has a serve. Anyway, meet Gambill on Court 5.

by Anonymousreply 3105/28/2013

Is Gambill still pretending to be straight? Maybe he could hook up with peen loving Pam.

by Anonymousreply 3205/28/2013

Why did Tomic quit during his match today? Serious problem? or head case?

Is he upset that his father isn't allowed to be present to kick the ass of another member of his coaching team?

by Anonymousreply 3305/28/2013

When and how did the lez rumours about Masha start? Is there any particular player she's been linked to?

by Anonymousreply 3405/28/2013

Tomic tore a muscle, I think in his calf. Hopes to be back for Wimbledon.

by Anonymousreply 3505/28/2013

Jesus fucking Christ. I'm watching a panel interview at the French on Tennis Channel right now, and John McEnroe won't SHUT THE FUCK UP. Carrillo, who is moderating, poses a question to someone else, and McEnroe (who hasn't stopped talking) pipes up with "I can answer that!"

I wish Serena would take a fucking ball and shove it down his fucking throat!

by Anonymousreply 3605/28/2013

I have to mute a match if McEnroe is commentating because he never shuts the fuck up and tries to equate how he played with today's game, which are like two totally different games.

by Anonymousreply 3705/29/2013

Assuming Rafa wins later today (or tomorrow depending on your time zone), there is the possibility that he'll get his chance at a rematch with Lukas Rosol who not only knocked him out of Wimbledon last year, but essentially ended his 2012 season. Rosol has to beat Fognini though, which is not exactly going to be a stroll in the park on clay.

How sweet it would be for Rafa to get to play him again though, and on a surface where Rafa could humble him. Nadal's first round victory over Brands will have been a perfect preparation for another Rosol match since those two have essentially the same style of play. Who knows how often, if ever, he'll have another opportunity for revenge.

Similarly, assuming that both Nole and Dmitrov win tomorrow (and both are heavily favored), they will be rematched in the next round. Could Dmitrov possibly beat him twice in just a couple of weeks? I wouldn't bet on it.

by Anonymousreply 3805/30/2013

I saw Tommy Haas win his first round match the other day, damn he's still HOT!

by Anonymousreply 3905/30/2013

In the US, a good portion of Tommy's match today should be on whichever network has rights to it (I'm assuming Tennis Channel because it's supposed to be last match on Court 2 for the day) because he's playing Jack Sock - the only one of the 4 US guys that came through qualifying still in the tournament.

by Anonymousreply 4005/30/2013

Saw Jimmy Connors being interviewed by Bob Costas. He was promoting his biography. He still is sexy to me. Costas was trying to make Connors feel guilty about a reveal in the book. He did his very best to twist the argument in favor of a guilty verdict. But Connors would have none of it.

From what I've read, it's Rafa's to lose. There are some pics of him being very close to another guy. Also, some of his naked rear. Not exciting to me, but he's in great shape, obviously.

by Anonymousreply 4105/30/2013

R6, Wimbledon.

by Anonymousreply 4205/30/2013

Jimmy Connors is a narcissist, R41. It's hard to make him feel guilty about even the things that he should feel guilty about.

by Anonymousreply 4305/30/2013

You mean there's a qualifier that Roger hasn't gotten to play yet? Amazing.

by Anonymousreply 4405/30/2013

R17, who is that?

by Anonymousreply 4505/30/2013

Has Maria's "boyfriend" told her to stop screeching like a banshee?

I've noticed she's toned it down the last couple of months.

by Anonymousreply 4605/30/2013

by Anonymousreply 4705/30/2013

Tipsarevic records Viktor Troicki and Novak Djokovic about to take ice baths. You can basically see Troicki's bare ass in the video.

Djoker then attempts to apparently slap Troicki's naked ass. There was a video from a few years ago of Djokovic grinding on Troicki's lap while lip syncing to Shakira. Seems like they have some homoerotic overtures to their relationship.

by Anonymousreply 4805/30/2013

Djokovic was staring right at his ass. Looked like he wanted to pound it.

by Anonymousreply 4905/30/2013

by Anonymousreply 5005/31/2013

Today Ryan Harrison looked good in his plaid shorts and dark blue polo shirt.

I didn't realize John Isner is getting coached by Mike Sell. I used to have a crush on Sell years ago when he was coaching Monica Seles.

by Anonymousreply 5105/31/2013

I thought the same R50. He was staring directly at his ass.

I searched to see if anything would come up on Djokovic possibly being gay and found this thread (linked) on Real Jock. Someone there said that a friend of his (female) slept with him and thought he pinged. He adds that she didn't think he was good. Maybe he's just waiting for the right man.

by Anonymousreply 5205/31/2013

Uncanny resemblance to Adam Levine in that first realjock photo.

by Anonymousreply 5305/31/2013

It's good to see Tommy Robredo back. And not just back, but able to play long matches. Only got to see a little of his match today, but taking Monfils (also good to have back) out in a 4-hour, 5-set match is a good sign that his fitness is solid.

I didn't realize Tommy had played enough this year to get his ranking up so high, and then with a couple of withdrawals he ended up as the last seed. Good for that possible gay-boy.

by Anonymousreply 5405/31/2013

(R43) Narcissist, or not, he evaded the slimy tactics of Bob Costa. (And I like Bob Costa, ordinarily.)

by Anonymousreply 5505/31/2013

Robredo was face down with his ass up and legs akimbo for about 10 seconds after winning that match today. The TV camera had good shots of it from the side so you could see how high his ass stood from the rest of his body. But I can't find any good pics of it.

by Anonymousreply 5605/31/2013

FYI for anyone who is used to checking ESPN2 for live Roland Garros matches. It looks like ESPN has no TV coverage of the event this weekend.

The matches with the biggest names will be shown tape-delayed on NBC, and Tennis Channel has the rest. Tomorrow I'm assuming Djokovic v. Dmitrov will be on NBC and maybe part of Rafa v. Fognini.

It really can be frustrating trying to know when and where you can see which match when they split up the broadcast contracts between so many networks like this. And it's even worse when the nets like NBC or CBS (formerly having US Open rights) claim exclusive rights to particular matches, and then don't broadcast live and so we have to wait for hours before fans can see them.

by Anonymousreply 5705/31/2013

By all that is holy, will someone PLEASE fly to Paris and rip McEnroe's tongue out so he'll STFU!

by Anonymousreply 5806/01/2013

[quote]By all that is holy, will someone PLEASE fly to Paris and rip McEnroe's tongue out so he'll STFU!

Thugrena will probably do that to Mac at some point anyway when the loudmouthed prick says something unflattering about her.

by Anonymousreply 5906/01/2013

Are Maria's panties sopping wet from watching her boyfriend play against Novak?

by Anonymousreply 6006/01/2013

[quote]FYI for anyone who is used to checking ESPN2 for live Roland Garros matches. It looks like ESPN has no TV coverage of the event this weekend.

ESPN3 (very decent quality streaming) has replays of the matches and will have live matches on Monday.

by Anonymousreply 6106/01/2013

Is that true for the weekend though, r63? As of right now they don't have any of the matches from June 1st available for replay.

I think ESPN3 only features matches from days that ESPN has broadcast rights to.

But in general I agree that the site is very nice for the ability to pull up a match already completed and watch it in its entirety, and without commercial breaks.

by Anonymousreply 6206/01/2013

Probably not, R64, if NBC has weekend rights. Unless there's a separate arrrangement for internet.

by Anonymousreply 6306/01/2013

That Kohlschreiber match had to be kind of whacky. I didn't see any of it, but was paying attention to the live score as it was progressing.

Two nearly bagel sets (6-0, 6-1) that sandwiched a tiebreak set. But that tiebreak was also a bagel (7-0). Interesting scoreline.

Good thing it didn't go on longer though so they could get it finished tonight.

When Isner plays these long matches like today, there are lots of times when I think he's going to fall over dead on the court. He looks like he can barely move. But even when he looks like that, he can still bomb his serve like he just freshly stepped out on the court.

Anyway, another good win for Haas!

by Anonymousreply 6406/01/2013

Who is that at R59?

by Anonymousreply 6506/01/2013

r59 that's Fabio Fognini doing... well I don't know what he's doing there.

by Anonymousreply 6606/01/2013

Haas looks like he'd pound you senseless.

by Anonymousreply 6706/01/2013

I wish more players would wear the shorter shorts like Robredo.

by Anonymousreply 6806/02/2013

I detest the way NBC is showing the French Open. I usually watch most of the matches, now it's 11:00 today before it comes on.

by Anonymousreply 6906/02/2013

Nadal is playing shit.

I'll be shocked if he even makes it to the quarters much less beats Nole.

by Anonymousreply 7006/02/2013

by Anonymousreply 7106/02/2013

Serena's drawn on eyebrows are covering half of her head.

by Anonymousreply 7206/02/2013

Serena is trying to serve Centre Court Realness, but in the end she is just a man in a dress.

by Anonymousreply 7306/02/2013

Ana Ivanovic always looks so nervous, I don't even know why because she has nothing to lose at this point.

by Anonymousreply 7406/02/2013

Why don't the announcers ever reference Monica Seles? She won the FO three time in a row. It's like they're embarrassed at how she was treated post stabbing. I mean, hell, MJ Fernandez is supposed to be her good friend. They talk about everyone else they think was influential, why not her?

by Anonymousreply 7506/02/2013

Agreed r69. You just know Tommy is all about angry sex.

It's all down to Sveta for Serena. She beats her, she wins the tournament. I like both, but I hope she can do it.

by Anonymousreply 7606/02/2013

Who has the prettiest backhand, Wawrinka or Gasquet? We'll be able to compare when they play each other tomorrow.

Also will be curious to see if whatever Djokovic tweaked toward the end of the Dimitrov match is anything lingering. Kohlschreiber shouldn't be a problem for him generally, but if he's stiff from something nagging at him in his shoulder, it could get interesting.

When the 2 elder statesmen (Haas vs. Youzhny) take the court, I'll be one of the few interested in every point. I've always liked those guys and hope they both can continue their prolonged careers.

by Anonymousreply 7706/02/2013

I just saw that Stosur and Schiavone are a doubles team at the French. That's a new partnership, right?

The last couple of years Sam had dropped doubles at slams to concentrate on her success in singles, right? So is this new team just a one-off, or will she be back to doubles regularly again?

by Anonymousreply 7806/03/2013

Serena's eyebrows are tattooed. I just googled it. She figured she just wasn't ugly enough.

by Anonymousreply 7906/03/2013

[quote]Serena is trying to serve Centre Court Realness, but in the end she is just a man in a dress.

Serena is uglier and more beastlike than any man in a dress. Is this man/woman/thing/thug still complaining that he/she/it gets tested for drugs more than any other player?

by Anonymousreply 8006/03/2013

Youzhny is cute.

by Anonymousreply 8106/03/2013

I love Serena. Hate her all you want, She is undeniably the best right now.

And yes, I find her gorgeous on the tennis court. Her coach/boyfriend has got her in fantastic shape. I'm jealous.

by Anonymousreply 8206/03/2013

I just looked at a picture of Serena at the French Open. Who did her eyebrows? Bozo the Clown? They are too long and the contrast is too severe between her skin color and eyebrow color.

by Anonymousreply 8306/03/2013

[R85] I would like to see her slam a ball down your throat. How was her tennis by the way? The thread is about TENNIS, not eyebrows.

by Anonymousreply 8406/03/2013

Nobody talked about the epic Tommy Haas John Isner match with Haas blowing 12 match points and being down in the third set before rallying to win. And this despite the fact that DL has been drooling over Haas' body for months.

by Anonymousreply 8506/03/2013

This Gasquet-Wawrinka match is amazing. Everyone's behind Gasquet but I think Stan will win eventually.

by Anonymousreply 8606/03/2013

R88, I'm watching too, and it's enthralling. I'm rooting for Gasquet all the way.

As I wrote on the other thread, row 2 of Gasquet's box is gayer than a row of tents. Why doesn't he just come out already?

by Anonymousreply 8706/03/2013

[quote]I would like to see her slam a ball down your throat.

Serena, being the violent, feral thug that she is, will likely do that to someone at some point anyway.

by Anonymousreply 8806/03/2013

Why is competitive spirit so cheered in men but not cool for the lady athlete? [R90] You are right, I understand you would rather have her racquet buried in your ass.

by Anonymousreply 8906/03/2013

r89, you are right about the row of fancy boys in their fancy scarves in the Gasquet box. That guy never seems to have any females in his entourage. So odd. Maybe failing that drug test has made him swear off women.

by Anonymousreply 9006/03/2013

R91, there is a difference in competitive spirit and threatening the life of a line judge in front of thousands.

by Anonymousreply 9106/03/2013

R87, totally loved that match! And yes, Tommy Haas is so hot! It was difficult to pay attention...

by Anonymousreply 9206/03/2013

The crowd sang Happy Birthday to Rafa on court right after he beat Nishkori today. That was nice.

by Anonymousreply 9306/03/2013

Follow-up. Immdediately following the match the crowd sang spontaneously on their own which was very nice.

But then they were prompted to sing again when they wheeled out a birthday cake during his on-court interview with Pioline. That part was kind of lame since it was prepared and came right after the more personal event of them singing on their own.

by Anonymousreply 9406/03/2013

I decided to watch one of today's doubles matches: Soares/Peya vs. Dimitrov/Nielsen.

Last year someone in one of the DL threads posted about Paulo Soares, and I've been interested in him ever since. He's is very sexy. The guy he's paired up for this tournament (Alexandar Peya) is pretty handsome.

But the guy that Dimitrov is partnered with, Frederik Nielsen, is really hot to me. Not so much in the face (in fact when I googled pics of him, he looks like a nerd with big ears), but from the neck down I think he's fantastic!

Watching this match isn't full-on wanking material, but it's approaching that level.

by Anonymousreply 9506/03/2013

Paulo Soares should be Bruno Soares, of course.

by Anonymousreply 9606/03/2013

That handshake at the end of the Haas/Youzhny match today was about as unfriendly and perfunctory as they come.

by Anonymousreply 9706/03/2013

Is it my imagination or has James Blake, Roger Fedderer and Tommy Haas put on some belly fat?

by Anonymousreply 9806/03/2013

Well, R100, one of them I'm sure is taking after his wife ingesting the "Ho Hos".

by Anonymousreply 9906/03/2013

Federer has always had a little paunch.

But I don't think there's an ounce of fat on Tommy Haas. Now, that's a DILF.

by Anonymousreply 10006/03/2013

Well, Bronx ...You wrote the book on "hos", I suppose.

by Anonymousreply 10106/03/2013

Well, Burka, except, in my book I suggest spitting rather than swallowing. The former eludes you while the latter is a concept which you perfected to a science.

by Anonymousreply 10206/03/2013

Jamie Hampton - who's her gf?

by Anonymousreply 10306/03/2013

Richard Gasquet is a headcase. Once again he blows away a lead. He is very talented yet has made no impact on top level competitions. He isn't getting younger.

by Anonymousreply 10406/03/2013

Has Bronx left Andy Roddick now that he's retired and not bringing in the dough?

by Anonymousreply 10506/04/2013

Kuznetzova played an incredible match but Serena played even better. Great tennis. That was definitely the best women's match of the tournament so far.

by Anonymousreply 10606/04/2013

I don't think anyone can stop Ree now. She owns Sharapova.

What's that, #15 for her?

by Anonymousreply 10706/04/2013

Kutznetsova handed the third set to Serena. Here's hoping Errani gives makes her work for it in the semis.

by Anonymousreply 10806/04/2013

Jesus, Tsonga just won the quarterfinals and now they're showing the Yannick Noah clips.

Good for him, but, Ferrer is going to be a tough match.

by Anonymousreply 10906/04/2013

Ferrer can't beat Djokovic or Nadal, so let's hope Tsonga gets to the final. Tsonga at least can make it a match on a good day.

by Anonymousreply 11006/04/2013

God it's hard to watch great champions decline (that is if you are a fan.) I've had to do it with so many over the years. I really wish Roger had retired after last year's US Open. Before he began his slide down the rankings which is going to happen in the next 6 months most likely.

I'm old enough to have seen it happen to many- only bother me when I like them a lot- BJK, Laver (just old enough to have seen him at the end of his great career), McEnroe (he did not last long) and Borg (very depressing when he abruptly quit), Navratilova and Evert both, Sampras (never cared for Agassi so his decline did not bother me) and now Federer who is the most asthetically appealing champion to ever play the game- and a great sportsman.

Luckily I am not really a big fan of anyone else these days. Djokovic is my next favority and I admire Nadal- but always find myself rooting against him- he is so sour on the court and OCD off the court- even though he seems like a very nice guy. For a long time his "doctor" was the same guy who supplied the Spanish cycling team with their enhancements. I have always suspected that some of Nadal's hiatuses from the game are in fact positive drug tests and hushed suspensions to save the game one of its great stars. First heard it years ago from an Editor for Tennis magazine after his first missed Austrailian Open. Still, very odd how we pick our heros.

Speaking of enhancement- who thinks Robin Soderling's disappearance from the game was due to mononucleosis?

by Anonymousreply 11106/04/2013

I've never heard of so many people having mono or mono-like illnesses as in pro tennis.

It makes me thing you're on to something with your "hushed suspension" hypothesis.

by Anonymousreply 11206/04/2013

Next year, bitches.

Next. Year.

by Anonymousreply 11306/04/2013

[quote] Here's hoping Errani gives makes her work for it in the semis

Haha! Errani is going to make Serena work for it in the semis? Sara Fucking Errani? A joke of a player who's managed to reach the Top 5 because it's a piss poor era in women's tennis with Serena being the only decent player followed by an entire group of mediocre also rans.

Besides Errani's sudden ascent in the rankings last year has always been rather suspicious and I don't buy her excuse that she's playing better because she has a more powerful racket. I think she's doping.

Anyway she ain't even getting more than a game or two from Serena in the semis. Serena takes it 6-0, 6-1 and then blasts Sharapova 6-1, 6-0 in the final for her second French Open win.

by Anonymousreply 11406/04/2013

The Brooklyn and Mirka trolls make me shudder with laughter. Looking forward to seeing you both on the Wimbledon thread(s) this year.

by Anonymousreply 11506/04/2013

Does Brooklyn have fake tits?

by Anonymousreply 11606/04/2013

[quote]Does Brooklyn have fake tits?

Oh my sides! When was the last time you saw an anorexic with jugs like that?

If you find anything authentic about Bronx, I'll give you one of my 5 carat diamond earrings.

by Anonymousreply 11706/04/2013

Rumor's of Nadal's PED usage are greatly exaggerated. Not true. He's always been built like a bull. He gets injured because of his style of play. I'm guessing the rumors are started by Fed fans who can't seem to accept that while Roger is the GOAT, Rafa is just better than he is, one on one.

by Anonymousreply 11806/04/2013

Roger definitely has a bit of a gut now. I like the haircut though.

In other news, the anti-Serena trolls always take it too far.

by Anonymousreply 11906/04/2013

Poor Moocow! Is she on death watch? Perhaps I should send over a truck of moonpies to console her? Perhaps two trucks?

by Anonymousreply 12006/04/2013

[quote] Errani is going to make Serena work for it in the semis?

Wow, R116, did Errani turn you down or something?

I think that Errani will take at least one set off Williams.

by Anonymousreply 12106/04/2013

I like Sara, but that is surely a straight sets victory for Serena.

The Victoria/Maria semi is the one to watch (fingers crossed it happens).

by Anonymousreply 12206/04/2013

I hate the French Open no DOOL on Thur. and Fri. This Sucks big time. I hope your Happy!

by Anonymousreply 12306/05/2013

Rafa looked unbeatable today. Can't wait for Nole and Rafa on Friday.

by Anonymousreply 12406/05/2013

Nole Fur

by Anonymousreply 12506/06/2013

I bet Nole is hot in the sack.

by Anonymousreply 12606/06/2013

Sharapova takes it with an ace(her 10th, I think)....

beats Azarenka 6-1, 2-6, 6-4

Should have won the 3rd set 6-2 but Maria blew 4 match pts.

by Anonymousreply 12706/06/2013

by Anonymousreply 12806/06/2013

12 aces the announcers said.

Isn't that pretty high for Maria? But she also had a lot of double faults. In fact, 4 in 1 game.

by Anonymousreply 12906/06/2013

Masha canNOT be throwing in 2 doubles a service game and have a prayer against Ree, unless Serena falls down the stairs tonight and breaks an ankle.

by Anonymousreply 13006/06/2013

Here's hoping Errani slays the hideous beast.

by Anonymousreply 13106/06/2013

LOL. This current beatdown is made all the sweeter thanks to trash like r133.

by Anonymousreply 13206/06/2013

Williams will have a tougher time on clay. I say Sharapova has a 40% chance of winning, especially if she keeps the double faults to a minimum.

by Anonymousreply 13306/06/2013

This second semi is very boring.

It's almost as bad as watching Ferrer play against Nadal.

by Anonymousreply 13406/06/2013

Please, r135, Serena has to know she's ugly, and the roids certainly don't help that situation.

by Anonymousreply 13506/06/2013

Sharapova will be lucky to win 4 games.

by Anonymousreply 13606/06/2013

Ugly is a nice way of saying it.

by Anonymousreply 13706/06/2013

r136 You probably didn't watch their recent two matches. Not boring at all.

by Anonymousreply 13806/06/2013

I don't want to be overly technical about tennis for those that only watch as sport. For the true tennis fan it should be noted, the white shorts Novak wore when he played Haas showed is lovely ass very well. I can't find any photos of his butt standing upright. But it was a lovely tennis site. This is the best one I could find.

by Anonymousreply 13906/06/2013

Meanwhile the most famous couple of the Open made it to the final again, the Bryan Brothers.

by Anonymousreply 14006/06/2013

God, I hope that Serena double bagels that shrieking cunt Sharapova

by Anonymousreply 14106/06/2013

Looks like Nole is going to win his first French Open.

Wonder why Nadal gets so fucked up (mental)when he plays him?

by Anonymousreply 14206/07/2013

Think again, R144. That was the third best match I've even seen, behind Fed/Nadal in the 2008 Wimby Final and the 2000 Sampras/Agassi US Open Quarterfinal.

Those two are so equal. Nole has the cleaner game, and no actual weaknesses, but Nadal is just relentless and his whipped topspin forehand is my favorite all time shot. I don't even understand the physics of it.

I think Nadal is a tiny bit better about not letting the last point, good or bad, affect his next point. It's insane.

by Anonymousreply 14306/07/2013

The French cunts booed Tsonga.

Pure class.

by Anonymousreply 14406/07/2013

I wonder what the score was at the point R144 posted that. Maybe when Djokovic was up a break in the 5th?

I pretty much thought that would seal the deal too, but I was wrong.

by Anonymousreply 14506/07/2013

What was with Tsonga today? Where was the energy?

by Anonymousreply 14606/07/2013

I think Tsonga was suffering from the crash after the enormous high of beating Federer. He didn't look like the same player who beat Roger.

by Anonymousreply 14706/07/2013

Cmon Tsonga this is your chance

by Anonymousreply 14806/07/2013

Oh...r150 must be watching the tape delay broadcast on NBC.

by Anonymousreply 14906/07/2013

Serena is quite cute IMHO. I am starting to not hate her. I hope she beats Shriekapova!

Glad to see Rafa beat Novak! Novak is still a little bitch. He can't help himself. However he does look hot in a pair of bikini briefs.

I want to see Rafa naked after his tan evens out.

by Anonymousreply 15006/07/2013

I'm very nervous for Ferrer against Nadal... but I'm hoping for an upset

by Anonymousreply 15106/07/2013

I'm impressed by how well Serena is speaking French.

by Anonymousreply 15206/07/2013

I don't like the nickname "Nole".

by Anonymousreply 15306/07/2013

I really don't get people who thought Nadal would lose. He's lost one match at the French Open *in his entire career* and won the whole tournament seven times. He's still fairly young and his knee doesn't seem to be bothering him so...

by Anonymousreply 15406/07/2013

R155 I couldn't agree more. Nole sounds like Mole or something. Stupid.

by Anonymousreply 15506/07/2013

I also didn't like Heath Ledger in his role as "Joker".

by Anonymousreply 15606/07/2013

[quote]Everyone's behind Gasquet

Who wouldn't want to be behind Gasquet.

[quote]As I wrote on the other thread, row 2 of Gasquet's box is gayer than a row of tents. Why doesn't he just come out already?

Le sigh. If there is a god. I almost wonder if that cocaine story was a publicity stunt to link him with kissing a girl.

Afaik he's NEVER been seen with any and denies having girlfriends, but did the awkward unfortunate gay denial and tried to joke about himself on French TV as damage control. He's sort of a glass closet. Oh and he blocked his female partner in a doubles match from slapping his ass lmfao, that is classic.

Someone on here said he was snotty and stand-offish in matches, but apparently he's good with fans and signs autographs. I don't care about autographs, but I wouldn't mind travelling to some minor tournament with non gold dust tickets just to see him in action and get his autograph. Why not for one of your fantasies, if they're accessible.

by Anonymousreply 15706/07/2013

The Rafa / Nole match was epic. It's seriously unreal how many balls Rafa gets back on clay. Still, I wanted Nole to win.

Rafa will crush Ferrer like a bug.

by Anonymousreply 15806/07/2013

Ugh, I really can't stand Nadal but damn, did he deliver in the 5th when it mattered most. He came up with some incredible shots. I knew Nole needed an insurance break and worried when he had a chance but didn't get it. It will be interesting to see what happens at Wimbledon.

by Anonymousreply 15906/07/2013

Nadal will end up being the fifth seed at Wimby, which sucks. I hope the Wimby officials seed him 4 over Ferrer. If he's 5, he could have to play Murray, Fed, or Nole in the QFs, which sucks for them and for tennis fans.

I would love Rafa to win Sunday and get another Wimby. I think if he gets up to 14 or 15 Slams, you have to start considering him the best ever, simply because he just destroys Fed head 2 head.

by Anonymousreply 16006/07/2013

I had a feeling Nadal would pull it out. He was just born for clay. His game is so perfectly suited to it. I think on any other surface Nole has the edge, but not at the French.

Just glad we get to see more of Rafa's hot bod on the court.

by Anonymousreply 16106/07/2013

I posted that about Joko when he was up a break in the 5th set.

It looked like it was curtains for Rafa, but man, he came storming back!

It should be a pretty good match on Sunday, and I think that David may even take a set off of Nadal.

Unfortunately, I can't say the same for the women. That match will be over in about 60 minutes. Or less.

by Anonymousreply 16206/07/2013

R164, You may be right about the women's final. It's really all up to Serena. She may want it so badly that she starts to get jittery. That happened at the U.S. Open last year in the final against Vika. Sharapova is going to have to hope Serena gets tight. Serena v. Sharapova is like Nadal v. Federer in that it's a terrible match-up for Maria, but great for Serena.

by Anonymousreply 16306/07/2013

Sharapova is going to have to serve lights out and hope that Serena starts getting nervous. Otherwise there's zero in her game that bothers Serena. Maria says that she's going to try something different, but what would that be? She only has one game plan - hit hard - which Serena eats for breakfast.

by Anonymousreply 16406/07/2013

I think this may be what Serena needs to overcome the final nerves she's experienced these past couple of years (playing the player she enjoys beating the most).

And really, Nadal is likely to beat up on Ferrer just as badly.

I was rooting for Nole today. It'd be nice to see another guy win RG. If only he could have maintained that break...

by Anonymousreply 16506/07/2013

I feel awful for Djokovic. He had 4-2 in the final set and was close to being 5-2 when he fell on the net trying to smash a ball. I feel like he must be devastated right now. I hope that this match doesn't affect his Wimbledon effort. He only lost this match because it was against Nadal on Nadal's home turf, not because of any real problem with his game (except for those terrible overhead smashes).

In a few hours, Serena will have an easy victory. I'm tired of watching these finals with no suspense to them because Serena beats Maria every time. Maria's game is really not interesting to watch, bashing the ball hard and harder at every opportunity. Azarenka is more interesting to me, she's like an improved Maria with less mindless bashing and a little more touch and technique.

by Anonymousreply 16606/07/2013

Serena should win Wimbledon easily too, but perhaps Victoria can put up some competitive matches on the hard courts this summer.

Agreed about Djokovic. He seemed okay leaving the stadium, taking a while to wave to the crowd and applaud them. But I was just thinking, he must be dying on the inside. Or I would be at least.

It's strange that after his superhuman display in 2011, he seems incapable of winning outside of Melbourne now.

by Anonymousreply 16706/07/2013

R169, I think it goes to show that the first half of 2011 was an anomaly for him rather than some sort of new level. That said, I think he has a great shot at the US Open, and it could have easily gone differently in the USO final last year. Nadal won't beat him in a best of five on hard court when he could barely beat him at the French.

Thoughts on Wimbledon? I think Serena will win Wimbledon barring a total fuckup from her in an early round, and as for the men's, it's pretty open (as open as ATP can get). Nadal can't get to every ball on grass as he did today, Federer hasn't impressed at all this year (but you never know), Tsonga and Berdych continue to not be able to seize any opportunity. I think the frontrunners are Murray and Djokovic.

by Anonymousreply 16806/07/2013

I have a feeling Nadal will win Wimbledon. He can be Djoker on grass. Remember guys, Nadal actually quite outplayed Nole today. The first set was a breeze, the second set he was a up an early break, the third set he walked all over him. It was only in those fourth and fifth sets that Djoker started playing lights out. And Nadal still almost won. I think the slower grass these days neutralizes both Nole and Nadal. Would love to see a five setter at Wimby.

I'd love Murray to win it, but I have no idea his health. Fed? Who knows. He's sliding fast.

by Anonymousreply 16906/07/2013

We are pleased with Djokovic's loss.

by Anonymousreply 17006/07/2013

[R15], the thing with Gasquet is that he is almost painfully shy off-court. Friendly with fans, and very polite and co-operative but so reserved you kind of feel uncomfortable for him. His relationships with other players - especially the other French guys - are good, though. Have been with him in functions with Simon and two or three other guys, and the others will happily banter and joke with MC and guests whereas Gasquet is polite and friendly but so obviously wishing he was somewhere else.

by Anonymousreply 17106/07/2013

Oops, that was meant for [R159]

by Anonymousreply 17206/07/2013

I agree with R171 about Wimbledon. I'd also give Nadal the early edge. He's on a mission post-comeback.

I'm just hoping he and Djokovic are on opposite sides this time.

by Anonymousreply 17306/08/2013

for fuck's sake, stop saying NOLE. it sounds idiotic.

by Anonymousreply 17406/08/2013

R176, that's the name he goes by. Take it up with his parents if you don't like it.

by Anonymousreply 17506/08/2013

by Anonymousreply 17606/08/2013

by Anonymousreply 17706/08/2013

Serena wins 6-1 6-3.

by Anonymousreply 17806/08/2013

Women's tennis is broken. The scores are pathetic. They can exercise and train all they want but the biggest factor in these scores is mental fortitude. That is lacking. Serena had real challengers in Jennifer Capriati, Martina Hingis, Lindsay Davenport, Justine Henin, Kim Clijsters and Venus. When those players were on they were not afraid of Serena. Serena has no challengers now except herself. Has sex appeal affected women's tennis? Are these women getting sponsorship and in turn lifted to the upper echelon because they are attractive or are these women more focused on outside ventures like modeling?

by Anonymousreply 17906/08/2013

Djokovic is anti gay, I would never root for him.

by Anonymousreply 18006/08/2013

R171, well, it is Nadal's best tournament. Nadal won't be able to get to every ball on grass in the way that he expertly does on clay. He has a great shot of course, but I don't think Nadal's chances are much better than any of the other guys on a grass court; he got blasted off the court last year. One thing has going for him now is the mental edge (but so did NOLE after Monte Carlo, and look how that turned out).

Virtually every male in Serbia has a diminutive and affectionate nickname that isn't just a shortening of their first name, but rather something like "Nole". R172: Montenegrins have no reason to be happy at a Djokovic loss.

by Anonymousreply 18106/08/2013

Any bets on how the two RG finals will pan out?

Women's final: 1 and 1 for Serena (more's the pitty - I want bigger, better, faster PED tests)

Men's final: 1, 1, and 0 for Nadal (more's the pitty - I want bigger, better, faster PED tests)

I just can't believe these two aren't dabbling in something.

by Anonymousreply 18206/08/2013

Pity is spelled with one T. Given Serena generous curves, I don't think she looks like she's using steroids.

by Anonymousreply 18306/08/2013

Pity is indeed spelled with one T - sorry :-)

As for Serena (and others?) - I don't know that roids is all there is out there. After all, cyclists were using EPO throughout the 1990s, but tests weren't available until the early 2000s. I just find that Serena being significantly, crushingly stronger at 30+ than at 23, and that Nadal being the best player with a completely fucked knee ever to play the game, able to come back after all that time off and win every tournament bar one, is just not credible, or at least so strange that we're allowed a little doubt.

I'd hate for this to be true - I've loved and played tennis since I was a wee kid millions of years ago - but I'd hate even more to find out in 10 years' time that our suspicions were spot on, and that tennis authorities swept it all under the carpet, or asked top ranking players to "take sick leave" for a year or so when "caught".

by Anonymousreply 18406/08/2013

R183, Nadal is also very good on grass. If you watch him play there, he has a totally different strategy. He plays much closer the baseline, which allows him to be more offensive, something he doesn't need on clay. And his topspin forehand? On the bounce grass? Insane. He's won two Wimby's and been in the finals three other times. Is he is a shoe in? No. But Fed is sliding, Murray's health is suspect, and he just might be in Nole's head after yesterday. Plus, Nole isn't as good on grass as he is on clay or hardcourt. I'm not saying Nadal will win, but my gut is saying he will.

R181, I couldn't agree more. The late 90s-05 were the best for woman's tennis in terms of depth. Evert had Martina. Graf had an aging Martina and a young Seles. But that era had nine deep who could win Slams. Personally, I'm much more impressed with Capriati and Davenport's 3 Slams, than Sharapova's 4. Sharapova isn't horrible (she did win 2 Slams when most of those players were still playing), but she'd be ranked 10th back then.

by Anonymousreply 18506/08/2013

I have no doubt that Serena is a PED user.

- She locked herself in a panic room and called the police so she wouldn't have to take a random drug test.

- She threatened to KILL a line judge... that was roid rage people.

Nadal is probably on them too. Spanish tennis is rife with PED usage. It's a shame because both of these players have immense natural talent, but for whatever reason have resorted to cheating to win.

by Anonymousreply 18606/08/2013

When Serena dies young from some rare, strange disease or brain tumor, the truth will be out.

by Anonymousreply 18706/08/2013

Jeezus H Christ, R182, go find some tawdry regional war to fight in and take your inanity with you.

by Anonymousreply 18806/08/2013

Is that the anti Serbian troll again at r182?

by Anonymousreply 18906/08/2013

Yeah, I hate to think Nadal and Serena are on PEDs given their achievements, and the mark that would leave on he game. But it wouldn't shock me.

Why do people persist in posting that Djokovic is anti-gay? It's not true.

R181, I agree with the first part of your post, that the reason Serena is head and shoulders above everyone is mental toughness. Well, that and her serve. It's amazing how many women have shitty serves.

by Anonymousreply 19006/08/2013

r189, you mean from something stranger than a pulmonary embolism at the age of 29?

by Anonymousreply 19106/08/2013

oh God, I fucking hate John McEnroe. Stick with the men, asshole!

Sharapova up an early 2 games to love.

Started the match serving and was down love 40 but came back to take that 1st game.

by Anonymousreply 19206/08/2013

Serena now leads 3-2.

I swear..... I either have to bitch slap McEnroe or watch the damn match on mute.

by Anonymousreply 19306/08/2013

r130 has already been proven wrong....

by Anonymousreply 19406/08/2013

Make that 4-4

Both are playing at pretty high levels.

by Anonymousreply 19506/08/2013

by Anonymousreply 19606/08/2013

Serena takes 1st set 6-4.

Off to sit down and watch the rest.

by Anonymousreply 19706/08/2013

Pretty high quality match. Sharapova played well, but needs to be superhuman and Serena needs to be sub standard to have a chance. Props to Serena.

I agree on McEnroe. He needs to shut the eff up! Talks at EVERY frickin moment.

by Anonymousreply 19806/08/2013

The deafening silence re the final result of the RG women's finals speaks volumes about how interested any of us really was in the whole boring Swilliams v Sharapova thing. :-)

BTW, it was 4 and 4 for Swilliams.

by Anonymousreply 19906/08/2013

Serens Williams is not on steroids. Serena was very muscular even as a teenager and big boned. Serena has said in the past that she does not like her muscular build and wished she was shaped more like Venus. Nadal on ther other hand is a different story. You can tell by his thinning hair that he is on something.

by Anonymousreply 20006/08/2013

So is Serena and everyone will know it when, in about 15 yrs, she keels over.

by Anonymousreply 20106/08/2013

R202 is correct. Serena's body hasn't changed other than she's gotten more curvy as she's gotten older.

Congrats to Serena. The precision of those last set serves was stunning.

by Anonymousreply 20206/08/2013

I love you Serena

by Anonymousreply 20306/08/2013

And much stronger with age, r204..... which makes zero sense.

by Anonymousreply 20406/08/2013

All you have to do is look at Serena's mother and most of her sisters and see that they're big women without steroids. Plenty of people with that body type get muscle like hers by working out.

The Serena-on-steroids and Novak-is-homophobic trolls are pathetic, deranged DL losers.

by Anonymousreply 20506/08/2013

You've never worked out a day in your sad life, have you, R206?

In my 30s, I finished 3 triathlons and could bench 50k more than I could in my 20s. Plenty of people get stronger in their 30s.

How stupid are you?

by Anonymousreply 20606/08/2013

Serena at 17 in the picture below. She was always a big boned muscular girl.

by Anonymousreply 20706/08/2013

Anytime Serena wins a big tournament the resident racists turn into steroids trolls. They have nothing left.

Hottie Bryans just won the doubles tournament. Good for them. Every time I watch them in a slam final, it seems like they lose. I thought the Frenchies had this one.

by Anonymousreply 20806/08/2013

I don't think tennis will ever seriously confront steroids on either the men's or women's tours. I feel as if it considers itself a genteel sport that refuses to acknowledge that that sort of thing would occur. Therefore, I think it's almost a waste to discuss it when it comes to Nadal or Serena.

As to Serena being a rude, two-faced, almost violent person, that part is worthy of discussion. Whether it's McEnroe, Serena or anyone who behaves in that manner, that person deserves serious consequences even consideration of banning from the sport. Her behavior is worse than anything McEnroe ever did, and I'm no fan of McEnroe.

I also hate the use of "Nole" by people who don't know him. That's the worst offense.

by Anonymousreply 21006/08/2013

I'd love a link to where Serena said that tennis was boring. Both sisters have said almost since day one that they had other interests. So what? Should Sharapova end her candy line?

by Anonymousreply 21206/08/2013

"I'm an actress, model and athlete, and I'd put athlete third on the list." -- Serena Williams flashback quote.

by Anonymousreply 21306/08/2013

More quotes from Serena

by Anonymousreply 21406/08/2013

Vamos Rafa!

by Anonymousreply 21506/09/2013

Monica Seles flashback when that douche jumped on the court.

by Anonymousreply 21606/09/2013

by Anonymousreply 21706/09/2013

Yes- the security is not that great. One of the commentators was saying after the incident resolved that it shows how well the security works- I tend to disagree- if the security was effective it wouldn't have happened in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 21806/09/2013

Already made the news here in Norway.. apparently it was a protester against gay marriage in France. LOL. Oh my.. seems like France isn't the gay friendly country everyone is making it out to be. Trust me.. there's still a huge opposition in France against gay marriage. France has always been conservative and family-oriented. Spain is actually a much better country for gays. I have been to both countries. I would never in a million years live in France, but I'd love to live in Spain.

by Anonymousreply 21906/09/2013

Congrats to Rafa, but damn this is getting boring for the fans. There is an entire generation of men without any chance of winning the French barring some sort of miracle. History will show Federer was quite lucky to have won his career slam. I doubt Joker will have the same fortune.

by Anonymousreply 22006/09/2013

What a fucking PATHETIC final. Why the hell was Joker in the semis? The officials are idiots.

by Anonymousreply 22106/09/2013

Why the hell is Usain Bolt there? He isn't a tennis player or French

by Anonymousreply 22206/09/2013

Awww my poor little Richie r173/r174. I'm sure one of us here would bring him out of his shell. He has such unfulfilled potential and was on the brink, it really is a shame. If he got higher though he would be THE tennis idol and he would no doubt hate that.

Someone here said they saw him in a Pret A Manger in New York. I hope they tried to get a look at that ass. He kinda has an unathletic body but he's so obviously doing anything to keep that ass.

I loved his twink off match with Grigor Dimitrov where he ended up vomiting, looking hot while doing so naturally.

by Anonymousreply 22306/09/2013

I have to admit it was a boring final.

I'd rather have seen Rafa give up that fine ass to somebody -- Djokovic, or even Mary Carillo.

by Anonymousreply 22406/09/2013

R221, why do you forget the fact that there were huge anti-gay marriage protests in Spain when the legislation there was being passed? Is it so you could make your silly anti-France comments again?

Despite Norway supposedly being ever so enlightened, I (and many others) would there because it's so boring.

The idiots claiming Serena is all drugged-up are also idiots too.

by Anonymousreply 22506/09/2013

First, I am so happy for Rafa. He is clearly the King of Clay.

Second, I am so tired of idiots in any nation protesting gay marriage. There are many, many, other things that one could protest. Throwing a smoke bomb at RG? Just plain stupid.

Third, and last, Rafa has the best body of any male tennis player on tour. Those legs, biceps, abs and his ass...perfecto!

by Anonymousreply 22606/09/2013

Why do they write "kids right" on their stomachs?

by Anonymousreply 22706/09/2013

R227.. yet they weren't as violent as the protests in France, they weren't ongoing after the law was approved, and gays weren't openly attacked on the streets as in France.

Face it.. France is a conservative, catholic, family friendly, homophobic country. Spain is a lot more progressive and gay friendly than your precious, phony France. I have been to both countries and I can vouch for this. Gay couples are a lot more free and accepted in Spain than in France.

Here's the proof.. 88 % of Spaniards accepts homosexuality, while only 77 % of France does. Spain really is the most gay friendly country in Europe. Just as I've been saying all along.

by Anonymousreply 22806/09/2013

Ferrer and Sharapova won the same number of games in the finals. I was hoping so badly that he would win or at least make it close. Tsonga would have had a better chance in these conditions, but he choked it away.

Poor Federer would have given millions just to get a day like today in the finals.

by Anonymousreply 22906/09/2013

r230 - What does "family friendly" have to do with being against gay marriage?

r222 - I'm not bored. Anyway, Nadal achieving this is far more interesting to me than a few one slam wonders like Gaudio having their day.

by Anonymousreply 23006/09/2013

The people pulled out of the upper deck in the stands with the "France Tramples on Children's Rights" banner - is that also an anti-gay marriage message?

Or are they protesting something different? Gay adoption since it was also approved?

Was it just general protest day? Pick your issue and come to the Roland Garros to make a scene about it?

The guys on Lenglen Court with the banner about removing President Hollande - that one makes sense if connected to the gay marriage turmoil.

But I don't understand what the message is for the "Kid's Rights" thing.

by Anonymousreply 23106/09/2013

To R211 and other racists trolls: I used to work on the WTA tour. By 2001, it was clear that Serena was going to be a unique force of rare tennis talent (and that has come to be true.) Venus and Serena never took tennis training, etc., as serious as the other girls. After Serena lost in the first round last year at the French, she finally got serious about tennis. Say what you want, but Serena still rules!!! Say it with me, dear: Serena is several steps above Maria and the others. Maria got beat.....again! Deal...

What always amazed me about Venus and Serena is the fact that they don't care what others think about them. They keep their thoughts positive and move on with their life and goals. As someone said up thread: When Miss Serena Williams wins yet another grand slam (16 and counting!), the racists trolls start with the steroid nonsense. Serena uses your hate for motivation. Haven't you figured that out yet?

Your bitterness hurts you, not Serena, Venus or others.

by Anonymousreply 23206/09/2013

r229, they USED "the children" to get their fear across as they did with the Prop 8.

by Anonymousreply 23306/09/2013

"They keep their thoughts positive"

Serena perhaps keeps her thoughts positive but her words and actions are gross and unseemly for tennis or any social setting for that matter.

by Anonymousreply 23406/09/2013

R230 The Spanish experienced something worse than French secularism and it was called Francoism. A Catalan couldn't speak Catalan and spain was very conservative compared to the rets of Europe. Since the demise of Francoism many Spanish have rebelled against those old ideals. French people have be decent on gay rights BUT French people are very ancien regime. They are very loathe to change things. Instead of using the more practical and Latin based nonante(ninety)the vast majority of French people use the old school/Celtic derived quatre-vingts-dix.

by Anonymousreply 23506/09/2013

My first thought was that they were protesting gay marriage. Then I read on Twitter it was something about child slavery, and I was hoping it was true, but I guess not. What's really disappointing is that the protestors were all so young.

On a lighter note: I did laugh at how quick that guard was to grab Rafa. I was thinking I'd have done the same lol.

by Anonymousreply 23606/09/2013

French people have been decent on gay rights

by Anonymousreply 23706/09/2013

R232, just using the cons way of saying focused on the family, i.e. there should be a mom, dad and kid.. not two dads or two moms. This is what conservatives believe, not me.. obviously, I'm gay. I'm just saying.. the French are actually quite conservative and care for family values. They're not as gay friendly as many here would like to think.

by Anonymousreply 23806/09/2013

R238: yep.. should tell you something about the right wing nuts in France. What's really scary is that these people aren't old, like the repugs in the US. No.. the French anti-gay movement are powerful and young. Like I said.. the people are mostly conservative. Funny how they're so bigoted compared to their neighbor Spain.. nearly 90 % of the population approves of homosexuality, and is officially the most gay friendly country in Europe. Yes, more than countries like France or the UK.

by Anonymousreply 23906/09/2013

r234 - Well, it would hardly take an insider's perspective to predict that Serena would be a force in women's tennis. She & Venus were child prodigies, just like Nadal, Gasquet etc. What's impressive about someone like her (and Nadal) is that they lived up to the hype (unlike Gasquet).

Serena's had some other humiliating losses in her career, so I'm not sure I buy that she only started taking tennis seriously last year. I would accept that maybe she finally realized that she was in the twilight of her career and to make the most of it.

It's a shame for women's tennis that she doesn't seem to have many interesting match-ups at the moment. I really miss the Belgians. And jittery Jen. And lumbering Lindsay.

by Anonymousreply 24006/09/2013

I really miss Capriati, Graf, and Sabatini.

I also liked Sanchez-Vicario

by Anonymousreply 24106/09/2013

Jen was Serena's greatest rival IMO. They played a match at the WTA Championships in 2002 that had some of the best hitting I've ever seen in women's tennis.

I feel lucky to have come to tennis in the late 90s, which, up until the mid-part of the last decade, I think was the golden era of women's tennis. And I think we're currently witnessing the equivalent period in the men's game.

by Anonymousreply 24206/09/2013

France's bigots have no power. They've proved that. Stop wringing your hands in hysteria. This is the country whose right wing you should be worried about, not France's. Or Serbia's.

by Anonymousreply 24306/09/2013

by Anonymousreply 24406/09/2013

What Serena lacks is a true rival. Henin could do it. Clijsters could match her power and movement. What I would dearly love to see is Seles in her prime against the Serena of today. That would be epic.

by Anonymousreply 24506/09/2013

Fascinating interview with Victor Conte (of BALCO infamy), and especially interesting for tennis lovers (and even more so for the "ain't no doping goig on here" crowd) from min 28 to about 38.

by Anonymousreply 24606/10/2013

Hate to harp on and on about this (well, actually, no I don't :-) ), but...

by Anonymousreply 24706/10/2013

Does anyone remember the guy who once posted that allegedly someone who works for a top tennis magazine said that the first time Justine Henin retired, it was actually allegedly due to a steroid suspension? He seemed legit. He's posted it twice. I didn't buy it for one minute when she suddenly announced her retirement claiming she had lost the desire to compete at a high level or something similar. Coming from a fierce, top competitor like Justine, please. Kim's father actually accused Justine of doping on steroids. Was he on to something? His claims put a big strain on Justine and Kim's relationship. I also didn't buy it when all of a sudden Sam Stousur (sp)became a leading top player (for a short while), after winning the US Open.

by Anonymousreply 24806/12/2013

No, I don't remember that, r250, although I'm sure all sorts of accusations could be made against anyone, doesn't mean they're true.

Henin's father made his claims after his daughter lost to Henin. And he didn't accuse Henin of doping, just of having more "muscle mass", which he was the only one who observed. He also denied he was accusing her of doping.

If Henin was suspended for steroid use, then that would have been announced. Also, she wouldn't have retired, she'd have said she was taking some time off. Henin was always "emotional" and seemed to have a love-hate relationship with her own life, her retiring like that is very plausible.

It's kinda funny, though, some accuse Serena of being on steroids because she's big and others (maybe the same individuals) accuse Henin of being on steroids even though she was small. Which is it? Do steroids make you big or small? Henin wasn't even known for a "power game".

by Anonymousreply 24906/12/2013

Enough of the boring dirt. Let's move on to the grass.

Have I ever mentioned that Andy's hole tastes like butterscotch?

by Anonymousreply 25006/12/2013

And can they please get rid of John McEnroe and his terrible announcing. If he says "menally" when he means "mentally" one more time, I will scream.

What about having Agassi or Sabatini do the US Open?

by Anonymousreply 25106/12/2013

Ferrer fell on his sword so Nadal could win. When is tennis going to check for steroids, they can start with serena.

by Anonymousreply 25206/12/2013

Look at Serena's muscle mass through the years - even as a teenager. It's the same. She's not on steroids.

by Anonymousreply 25306/12/2013

HA! if you think McEnroe is an ego-freak, then just give a mike to Agassi.

by Anonymousreply 25406/12/2013

I heard Agassi do commentary at a US Open match shortly after he retired. He was actually pretty good and had some interesting insight into the players' game time strategies. I would prefer him over JMac any day.

by Anonymousreply 25506/15/2013

Agassi would be great at commentating. He's incredibly well spoken and knows everything about tennis. I think he's too wealthy to even consider it, however.

by Anonymousreply 25606/15/2013

You're right, R258. Agassi is making too much money in endorsements, etc. to travel around to the Slams to do commentary.

On a related note, can you believe that Steffi Graf just turned 44? She still looks amazing.

by Anonymousreply 25706/15/2013

Agassi has no interest in living a tennis life anymore. He's all about the school these days.

by Anonymousreply 25806/15/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!