Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Why do Australians now refer to "indigenous people"

rather than "Aborigines"?

by Anonymousreply 4805/27/2013

Do you call them Indians or Native Americans?

R1, I'm sure you still call them "Orientals" (or worse), so you *would* say it's "stupid" to grow the fuck up and get it right.

by Anonymousreply 205/26/2013

[quote]Because every few years the name of every minority group must be changed whether they ask for it or not

Right, because every year, the 'groups' have their annual convention to decide such things. They collectively determine what they'd like to be called.

[quote]By the way genius over at R2, indigenous North Americans PREFER the term Indians and HATE the term Native Americans. FYI.

Was this decided at the '09 convention?

by Anonymousreply 505/26/2013

If you want to know what kind of person insists on terms like "indigenous people" or "native Americans," take a look at the professor in this video at about 3:00. But watch the whole video. It's good.

by Anonymousreply 605/26/2013

[quote]By the way genius over at R2, indigenous North Americans PREFER the term Indians and HATE the term Native Americans. FYI.

I often see the two used interchangeably.

Here's the website for Gathering of Nations, a big annual pow-wow. You can see both terms are used.

by Anonymousreply 705/26/2013

OP, "Indigenous people" or "Indigenous Australians" is a blanket term for the Aboriginal people of Australia and Tasmania AND the Torres Strait Islanders, who are culturally and genetically distinct from mainland aborigines.

by Anonymousreply 905/26/2013

How about "outbackers"? I like the sound of it.

by Anonymousreply 1005/26/2013

R9 is correct.

There is nothing wrong with "Aboriginal", it's still used and is considered perfectly fine. "Abo" however, not so much.

Indigenous is a more all-inclusive term and it sounds more modern anyway.

by Anonymousreply 1105/26/2013

How about we start being referred to "mentally ill", "fairy" or "sodomite" like we once were????

PS...a little off topic, but why does "gay" sound better to the ear than "homosexual"? You never hear anyone refer to themselves as a homosexual, only gay or, more fashionably, "queer".

by Anonymousreply 1205/26/2013

"more modern" r11? LOL. It sounds like the guy in r6's video.

by Anonymousreply 1305/26/2013

[quote]How about we start being referred to "mentally ill", "fairy" or "sodomite" like we once were????

Hello PC loon.

Being a PC loon you probably aren't able to make a distinction between terms that are derogatory or insulting and terms that are not, so I'll help you out.

"Aboriginal" = not chosen to degrade or insult.

"mentally ill" "fairy" & "sodomite" = used to convey a negative status

by Anonymousreply 1405/26/2013

Back in time, did Canadians refer to the natives as Indians? When did they switch to calling them First Nations people? Are Eskimos included in the First Nations group or do they have their own PC designation?

by Anonymousreply 1505/26/2013

Calling people what they want to be called is hardly "PC," R15. Do you always need to give things a negative slant?

by Anonymousreply 1605/26/2013

Why can't we call Indians bow benders anymore?

by Anonymousreply 1705/26/2013

I call myself homosexual, R12, but I also said "Boo-urns".

by Anonymousreply 1805/26/2013

I'd be real careful about names that have "bender" in them, R17. This is a gay board, you know.

by Anonymousreply 1905/26/2013

When I toured Down Under I heard them referred to as "Abos".

Is this term no-go now?

How long will it be before Australians shorten "indigenous people" to "N-didge" and this become no-go too?

by Anonymousreply 2005/26/2013

An earlier post says abos is not acceptable, R20.

Shortening names of groups opens up some interesting possibilities. As an example, caucasian could be shortened to cockies.

by Anonymousreply 2105/26/2013

[quote] Do you call them Indians or Native Americans?

Both. There's a reservation about 7 miles away and they are perfectly happy being called Indians or Native Americans.

by Anonymousreply 2205/26/2013

Indio is still used in central and south America

by Anonymousreply 2305/26/2013

[quote]Calling people what they want to be called is hardly "PC," R15. Do you always need to give things a negative slant?

Not everyone gets to pick the name that is currently considered to be PC, Mary. Must you always inbue discussions with your special brand of negativity? Some of you girls can be really annoying.

by Anonymousreply 2405/26/2013

As a group they do, R24, and I'm sure they don't call it being "PC." That's your freeper language.

I'm sure you want them to beg you for permission. "Please, lord and master, would you allow us to be called ourselves Italians instead of wops?"

by Anonymousreply 2505/26/2013

Annoying twat at r25, please read r14.

by Anonymousreply 2605/26/2013

"Abos' is, and always has been, a degrading term. Worse is the word 'boong' and 'coon' which also used to be common but are now verboten.

by Anonymousreply 2705/26/2013

R15, "First Nations" replaced "Indians" or "Indian band" in the 1970s and 1980s. When speaking of the Aboriginal peoples in Canada collectively, you will frequently hear the terms "First Nations, Inuit, and Métis" or FNIM. The term "Eskimo" is not used in Canada and Greenland as it is considered perjorative.

by Anonymousreply 2805/26/2013

What sanctimonious twat came up with the idea that it was pejoritive?

by Anonymousreply 2905/26/2013

Slim Pickens … it's the way he said it.

by Anonymousreply 3005/26/2013

I like to be called YT.

by Anonymousreply 3105/26/2013

[quote]What sanctimonious twat came up with the idea that it was pejoritive?

Probably the same person who would say it would be wrong of me to call you a "retard" for being illiterate.

by Anonymousreply 3205/26/2013

They also now refer to the group once known as Eskimos as indigenous peoples. Eskimo translates to fish eaters and that was deemed racist. American Indians like to be called just that. Blacks hate the term African American and few to none use it. Get with the PC program!!

by Anonymousreply 3305/26/2013

In Australia, Aborigine used to be fine as long as you used a capital A. Using the noun Aborigine evolved to using the adjective Aboriginal to describe individuals and groups.

Indigenous came about not only because saying Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people is a mouthful, but local groups began to reassert regional names, like Koori, Nunga, Noonga etc. and in preference to the generic Aboriginal.

So Indigenous is more inclusive, I suppose.

Interestingly, terms like half-caste, black fella etc. that are frowned upon in "mainstream" society are freely used in remote communities.

by Anonymousreply 3405/26/2013

Black Joe from Huck Finn? It's a long time since I read that, but wasn't Joe an Indian? I recall a line from the story where one of the guys said, "Injun Joe is in the cave." Didn't he die when the town closed up the cave so kids wouldn't wander in and get lost?

by Anonymousreply 3505/26/2013

[quote]Eskimo translates to fish eaters and that was deemed racist.

So we're all supposed to be giving up fish and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches in order to avoid being racist?

by Anonymousreply 3605/26/2013

RE 33

I'm sorry, but did all African-Americans get together and tell you that they "hate" being referred to as such? No? Yeah, I didn't think they did. Granted, some may prefer the term black due to its simplicity of use but that doesn't mean they hate the word "African-American", which is a more nationally and ethnically accurate term.

In the future, please try to refrain from sweeping general statements.

by Anonymousreply 3705/27/2013

Actually, African-American is often a very inaccurate term, R37.

Many blacks in America consider their ethnic identity to be Caribbean as opposed to African (regardless of their initial origin it's how they choose to identify). Also many blacks living in the US are not American - they may be from Europe or Africa for example and live here for a while with no intention of becoming American.

Very few blacks in the U.S. refer to themselves privately as African Americans. The ones who do are usually either from academia or are saying it for the same reason whites say it - so as not to offend anyone by using an 'improper' term. The joke is that the term was not

[quote] "I prefer to be called black," said Shawn Smith, an accountant from Houston. "How I really feel is, I'm American."

[quote] "I don't like African-American. It denotes something else to me than who I am," said Smith, whose parents are from Mississippi and North Carolina. "I can't recall any of them telling me anything about Africa. They told me a whole lot about where they grew up in Macomb County and Shelby, N.C."

[quote] "We respect our African heritage, but that term is not really us," Gibre George, an entrepreneur from Miami, said. "We're several generations down the line. If anyone were to ship us back to Africa, we'd be like fish out of water."

[quote] "It just doesn't sit well with a younger generation of black people," continued George, who is 38. "Africa was a long time ago. Are we always going to be tethered to Africa? Spiritually I'm American. When the war starts, I'm fighting for America."

[quote] Joan Morgan, a writer born in Jamaica who moved to New York City as a girl, remembers the first time she publicly corrected someone about the term: at a book signing, when she was introduced as African-American and her family members in the front rows were appalled and hurt.

[quote] "That act of calling me African-American completely erased their history and the sacrifice and contributions it took to make me an author," said Morgan, a longtime U.S. citizen who calls herself Black-Caribbean American. (Some insist Black should be capitalized.)

by Anonymousreply 3805/27/2013

I saw an ad on eBay for Nativity figures that included a European king, an Oriental king, and an African American king.

by Anonymousreply 3905/27/2013

No member of the faculty is to mistreat the Abos in any way whatsoever....... if there's anybody watching.

by Anonymousreply 4005/27/2013

Woollamaloo, R40, brings back memories of hot Aussie sailors aboard HMAS Hobart.

by Anonymousreply 4105/27/2013

That's all well and good and I don't mean to be a contrarian but I'm positive that the number of American blacks out weigh the other blacks (non-citizen). Furthermore, I can give you just as many anecdotes of blacks that do not mind the term African-American, I just don't have the time, but I think the phrase "different strokes for different folks" applies.

Also, the term black, while in America refers to African-Americans, can also refer to people of very dark skin color with no recent ancestry from Africa. Australian aborigines is a group that comes to mind. Some very dark South Indians can also fit in that parameter. In short all I'm saying is that African-American is a more specific term based on ethnicity and nationality (regardless of personal feelings) than black.

by Anonymousreply 4205/27/2013

They'll shorten indigenous to "dijjies" and indigenous will be deemed inappropriate.

by Anonymousreply 4305/27/2013

White people. The way you talk about other groups of people in this paternalistic way is just indicative of your mindset.

by Anonymousreply 4405/27/2013

I thought the proper term was "Aboriginee" like "Portuguee".

by Anonymousreply 4505/27/2013

We know, r44.

by Anonymousreply 4605/27/2013

[quote]I'm sure you still call them "Orientals" (or worse), so you *would* say it's "stupid" to grow the fuck up and get it right.

What's wrong with being called Oriental, Indian or even Aborigines?

by Anonymousreply 4705/27/2013

How about all indigenous people be called "Indigeons"

by Anonymousreply 4805/27/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!