Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Mia Farrow

Led a very interesting life. A natural beauty with good acting skills Love this pic of her wedding to Frank Sinatra Looks straight out of Mad Men or The Sopranos!

Is there a good bio on her?

by Anonymousreply 15006/30/2013

How did she and Frank Sinatra wind up together?

That just seems so insanely against type for both of them.

Was it something that she just did to get her name out there and known and he did it to cover up some awful publicity in other relationships or what?

by Anonymousreply 105/26/2013

Her autobiography -- I believe it was called What Falls Away -- is really quite good.

by Anonymousreply 205/26/2013

Mia fan here, too. She is underused in Hollywood. Did you see her scare fest in one of those Omen movies a few years back as the nanny to Damien? Spooky.

by Anonymousreply 305/26/2013

LOVED her response to that pedo-pig woody allen when he tried to "explain" why he fucked Soon-Yi: "You're not supposed to fuck CHILDREN!"

by Anonymousreply 405/26/2013

I always love it when she shows up in a documentary.

I find her analytical, thoughtful, and honest.

by Anonymousreply 505/26/2013

The title character in Kingsley Amis' novel "Girl, 20," who wrecks the home of a middle-aged composer, is blatantly based on Mia.

by Anonymousreply 605/26/2013

Why that severe short hair?

by Anonymousreply 705/26/2013

R7, she had a bit of a tantrum and chopped off her hair.

by Anonymousreply 805/26/2013

R4, I believe the direct quote was, "YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO FUCK THE KIDS!"

Which is even better, IMO.

What is this about Spielberg?

by Anonymousreply 905/26/2013

Isn't she supposed to be bat-shit crazy?

by Anonymousreply 1005/26/2013

I thought she cut her hair for Rosemary's baby.

by Anonymousreply 1105/26/2013

She's plain looking to me like Gwyneth. Yuck.

by Anonymousreply 1205/26/2013

The woman is nutty as a fruitcake. Sadly, what looked like youthful rebellion earlier in her life, has been revealed as major crazy. Child collecting, making slaves of these "adopted" kids, and ending up just showcasing the pretty biological child in the end, who would be nothing without his daddy's brains.

by Anonymousreply 1305/26/2013

Hate to say it, but I agree with r13.

I read that she begged Allen to continue the relationship after finding out about Allen and the adopted daughter. So she was going to subject the child she would eventually claim was taken advantage of by Allen, to him, by continuing in a relationship with him if he had agreed to it. Once she realized he had no interest, that's when the claws came out and she went public with "he touched they other daughter too."

by Anonymousreply 1405/26/2013

I'm Team Woody. The way she has lived her life makes it clear she has mental issues. Woody was no more a father to Soon-Yi than Billy Bob Thornton was to Angelina Jolie's kids. Vicinity does not make a father, and even less so a dad.

by Anonymousreply 1505/26/2013

They are [italic]both[/italic] nutty with high levels of sociopathy between them.

That said, I love almost all the work they did together.

by Anonymousreply 1605/26/2013

Hasn't Woody's marriage to Soon-Yi by now lasted longer than any of either Mia's or Woody's relationships and marriages, including their own?

What does that say?

by Anonymousreply 1705/26/2013

It says that Soon-Yi out-sociopath'd them all?

by Anonymousreply 1805/26/2013

Mia's not nutty at all. She bore some children and adopted other children, and they all had to do chores around the house. Not only are chores necessary to keep a big family running smoothly, but it's good for children to contribute something to the household.

She and Sinatra loved each other and stayed friends to the end. He even offered to have Woody's legs broken for her.

If you look at Ronan, he appears to be an exact cross between Mia and a young Frank Sinatra. Woody never had another biological child. I don't believe Woody is Ronan's natural father, either. There's nothing of Woody in him.

by Anonymousreply 1905/26/2013

R17, it says that Woody can never leave Soon Yi. She knows how things really happened between them.

By the way, those photos of Woody clutching his freaked-out looking adopted tweens are uber-creepy. Soon Yi would probably have something to say about that if he ever left her, as well.

by Anonymousreply 2005/26/2013

Another shot of Ronan compared to young Sinatra.

by Anonymousreply 2105/26/2013

[quote]Woody was no more a father to Soon-Yi than Billy Bob Thornton was to Angelina Jolie's kids.

So you would approve of Billy Bob fucking Angelina's kids?

by Anonymousreply 2205/26/2013

For R11:

by Anonymousreply 2305/26/2013

r19 tends to favour the Wordsworthian view of nature.

Take your meds, dear, and think of pink elephants and big blue balloons.

by Anonymousreply 2405/26/2013

I follow Ronan on Twitter, he's extremely funny and witty, like his father, Woody Allen. and he firmly believed that Woody Allen committed an unforgivable moral transgression. Ronan is wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 2505/26/2013

"How did she and Frank Sinatra wind up together?

That just seems so insanely against type for both of them."

I assume that really liked each other, and maybe mistook that for love. Or maybe they loved each other but just couldn't make a marriage work. He was a Sagittarius, she's an Aquarius; if you believe in astrology that's a very compatible combination (Woody Allen is also a Sagittarius). I heard that they divorced because Sinatra wanted Mis to be a stay at home wife and she wanted to continue her career. At any rate, they divorced, but remained friends ever after. In fact, after it came out that Woody Allen was fucking Soon-yi Sinatra supposedly offered to have his legs broken! I thought that was pretty cool.

by Anonymousreply 2605/26/2013

"By the way, those photos of Woody clutching his freaked-out looking adopted tweens are uber-creepy."

That picture of him squeezing those two girls to him is very disturbing. The girls both look very uncomfortable. The Asian one is gamely making an effort and is able to give the photographer a little smile. The homely one looks mad enough to spit nails. Woody Allen looks like he's playing a part: "See? I'm a good father! I'm hugging my girls. That means I must love them very, very much." God, it all looks so FAKE. And Soon-Yi is supposed to be their MOTHER? Soon-Yi seems like a child herself. I guess the girls are tended to by assistants and are only trotted out in public for photo-ops.

by Anonymousreply 2705/26/2013

She pitched a fit when she got kicked out of that rent-controlled apartment on Central Park for being too rich. Entitled much?

by Anonymousreply 2805/26/2013

I think Mia was hanging around the set of Sinatra's movie Von Ryan's Express, she may have been making a movie there at the time and they got together. In her book she made it seem that he was her first. I did get the impression that they really genuinely loved each other in spite of the age difference.

I don't think Mia looks anything like Paltrow, Mia had a really unique look (to me) and had great eyes and a mysterious quality. I follow her on Twitter and she's very politically aware and funny. Doesn't seem the least bit spaced-out or crazy.

by Anonymousreply 2905/26/2013

The girl in the white shorts @ R20 is really freaky looking or something…very odd.

As for the pic, if any father that hadn't been accused of molesting his girls posed that way no one would think anything of it. The only part to me that's odd is the look on that girl's face.

by Anonymousreply 3005/26/2013

I wonder how Old Blue Eyes would feel about having a gay son. Was Sinatra okay with gay people?

BTW, Ronan has Woody's lips and shape face, not Sinatra's. Also Sinatra was no brain. Where would the kid have gotten those super smarts from, certainly not Mia?

Ronan is also getting a little old looking, not that there's anything wrong with that. Happens to all of us. I was just a little surprised.

by Anonymousreply 3105/26/2013

Neither Woody nor Mia came out of the Soon-Yi uproar looking very good. As for Soon-Yi, she's looking out for herself and hasn't done so badly.

by Anonymousreply 3205/26/2013

Woody pretends to be an intellectual, R31. I suspect Mia might be smarter on many levels and about many things than he is.

by Anonymousreply 3305/26/2013

Back in the day when it happened, yes I'm old, it was said that not only did Mia hang out on Sinatra's set, she did it in see through clothing with no undies and would do things like swing from bars and other very physical acts to make sure he noticed her bod and your child like youth. She knew exactly what he wanted and what she was doing. It was said he loved that he was fucking someone who looked and acted like a child but was of age so he didn't get into trouble. I think Sinatra too had a bit of pedo in him.

by Anonymousreply 3405/26/2013

Woody's a bright guy and an above-average joke writer, but he's no great intellect.

R31, I don't find Woody's lips or face shape look anything like Ronan's, either. See photo below.

by Anonymousreply 3505/26/2013

Mia broke up a couple of marriages, like the one with Andre & Dore Previn.

by Anonymousreply 3705/26/2013

Ronan doessn't like Woody, so I imagine if he thought there was even the slimmest chance that he was someone else's son, he'd have had a DNA check pronto.

by Anonymousreply 3805/26/2013

[quote]I read that she begged Allen to continue the relationship after finding out about Allen and the adopted daughter.

It think the story was that she asked him if he was going to recast her in her next film. She didn't ask for the personal relationship to continue. Though, even asking for a working relationship was too much.

[quote]Woody doesn't want to part with half of his money (not that he has much anyway

Woody is the only person making money on his films. He always gets a hefty writing/directing fee (in the millions). On the other hand, the crew and the cast get scale. I, honestly, cannot believe he's gotten away with it for so long. But actors want to work with him regardless of their salary...

If you want to learn a bit about Woody as a filmmaker read "When the shooting stops the cutting begins," where his long time editor Ralph Rosenblum describes the experience of editing Annie Hall (among other Allen films). That film was structured in the edit room (in the script, the story is told in linear fashion). Makes you wonder about some of these Oscar winning screenplays.

by Anonymousreply 3905/26/2013

How old was André Previn at the time, R37? I seriously doubt Mia took him anywhere he didn't want to go.

What was the other marriage you're claiming she broke up?

by Anonymousreply 4005/26/2013

R38, Mia would simply tell Ronan whatever he needed to know. He's not obliged to make any of that public.

Woody has been married several times and has been in quite a few long-term relationships, yet he has never made a wife or girlfriend pregnant before in all those years except allegedly Mia. Then their supposed kid is born looking nothing like him. I don't buy it.

by Anonymousreply 4105/26/2013

Interestingly, Mia and Diane send each other Tweets, even though Diane is still good friends with Woody.

by Anonymousreply 4205/26/2013

I'm so confused.....did Soon-Yi and Woody adopt 2 girls?

by Anonymousreply 4305/26/2013

Are you speaking of Dianne Wiest r42?

I had heard a long time ago when Dianne was a regular member of Woody's actors rep that she developed a crush on Woody and Mia encouraged Woody to give her a mercy fuck.

Considering Dianne won her two Oscars in Woody's films (deservedly), isn't it strange that she hasn't appeared in a single one of his films since Woody and Mia split?

by Anonymousreply 4405/26/2013

How can you not see Woody in Ronan? Ronan may have been a mini-Mia most of his life, but recent photos show him turning out to be very much his father's son. Even their humor is similar.

by Anonymousreply 4505/26/2013

Or....wait! Was Bullets Over Broadway after the split??

Still, it's odd to me that Woody never works with Dianne any more.

by Anonymousreply 4605/26/2013

[quote]Are you speaking of Dianne Wiest [R42]?

Sorry, I meant Diane Keaton. Not that I check my Twitter a whole bunch, but on one occasion I saw Diane Keaton and Mia Farrow exchanging pleasantries on Twitter.

by Anonymousreply 4705/26/2013

Ronan looks like Woody, IMO. More like Mia obviously, but I see the resemblance to Allen clearly. Look nothing like Sinatra.

by Anonymousreply 4805/26/2013

R43, yes, Soon Yi and Woody's daughter are adopted.

by Anonymousreply 4905/26/2013

"I always knew Frank would wind up with a boy." - Ava Gardner

by Anonymousreply 5005/26/2013

Woody's worst nightmare has to be a reunion between Mia and Soon-Yi. Between them they could wipe out what remains of his reputation.

by Anonymousreply 5105/26/2013

A lot of people would like to see their woody in Ronan.

by Anonymousreply 5205/26/2013

It was hard to have any sympathy for Mia during the Soon-Yi scandal; Mia got pregnant with twin by Andre Previn while he was still married to Dory (who thought she and Mia were friends). That was a pretty big scandal at the time.

by Anonymousreply 5305/26/2013

Allen is a major creep. However, male "artistes" can get away with anything; people will step up and defend male privilege. I'm sure Mia Farrow has her issues but in way does she deserve to be vilified in the Allen/Soon-Yi situation.

by Anonymousreply 5405/26/2013

R54, the Soon-Yi/Woody thing wasn't about Mia, R54. It was about Woody having sex with an either underage or far too young family member (totally out of bounds for either a step-parent or long-term boy/girlfriend), and Soon-Yi's developmental disabilities that probably precluded her having the good sense to say no. If you're in a long-term relationship with someone, you don't fuck her children. Simple as that.

Ronan has been very clear that Woody was way out of line, and that he caused a family schism that will never heal. Farrow's family lost a daughter/sister.

by Anonymousreply 5505/26/2013

So many people are so bamboozled by Woody Allen like my sister. She thought he was a genius, oh please! I have heard he and Mia are both nuts. BTW, Woody Allen instructed of Soon-Yi to pose in various sexual positions when she was just a young kid. If an average person did what he did, the guy would have been thrown in jail ,but because he is in the film industry and suppose to be a "MAJOR THINKER OF OUR TIME", major eye roll! he gets away with it. Also, the hypocrisy of Hollywood who get preachy about children being mistreated, abused, molested, etc. and after that scandal broke out, so many of these Hollywood bastards were still trying to get parts in Mr. Intellectual's films.

I remember when Susie Lee was on DL I asked her about Mia. She said she is completely nuts.

I read a bio on Mia and I forgot the name of the bio,but it was a good book. Also they did a film bio on Mia based on the same book and it was well done.Anyway, the author said when Mia was a little girl,her parents were throwing a party and her mother asked her to find her father. Mia spotted her father having sex with a starlet, and her father blew up at Mia and told her leave immediately! The author said it is ironic because Mia married a guy who cheated on her. Usually women marry their fathers.

by Anonymousreply 5605/26/2013

Mia took her daughter to the doctor to tell a story that would get Woody in trouble. Dylan said he touched her "private place" and "it hurt". When asked where her "private place" is, she pointed to her shoulder. Upon examination, she was still intact. Sounds pretty fake to me.

Any woman would feel terrible to lose a lover to her daughter, but she reacted by tearing her family further apart.

by Anonymousreply 5705/27/2013

John Farrow was allegedly a tyrant.

Not sure about Previn, but Mia's other two major paramours, Frank Sinatra and Woody Allen, could be said to be extreme narcissists if not sociopaths. Sinatra divorced her because she refused to drop out of Rosemary's Baby to make The Detective, and he served her the divorce papers on set. If that's not sociopathic behavior, I don't know what is.

by Anonymousreply 5805/27/2013

R36, Allen has never made a film for TV to my knowledge.

He's crazy- you do not fuck and photograph the vaguna of your lovers child.

by Anonymousreply 5905/27/2013

r59 He made two in the 90s: the (dated)remake of "Don't Drink the Water" for ABC in 1994, and "The Sunshine Boys", which he neither wrote nor directed, in 1996 for CBS.

by Anonymousreply 6105/27/2013

Woody is like 80 years old. He's got what, 10, 15 years left? The marriage with Soon-Yi probably is not that bad. She nags him, he goes to make a movie to get away with her, he takes her to Dior when she asks him, she lets him play with her funbags when he asks her, and much percocet is had by all. An ideal marriage.

by Anonymousreply 6205/27/2013

Link below to an overly sweet, yet interesting, Lifetime "Intimate Portrait" of Mia Farrow (1999). It features home movie clips and narration by goop's mom. There are interviews with Mia's other friends, including Nancy Sinatra, Andre Previn, Natasha Richardson, Carly Simon, Leonard Gershe, and others, plus a number of Mia's children.

To those who think there's little intelligence on Mia's side of the family, her oldesst brother finished high school at 15 and went on to Georgetown University at 16. Also, her father, John Farrow, was evidently a brilliant man.

by Anonymousreply 6305/27/2013

Is Ronan out? it's no secret that he's gay, yet I've seen the entertainment media try to link him with female celebs. Is he out at all?

by Anonymousreply 6505/27/2013

R11- No, she cut off her hair while playing Allison MacKenzie on PEYTON PLACE. She had to wear a long fall as the character had long hair. Her trademark haircut was used as a plot point in ROSEMARY'S BABY.

by Anonymousreply 6605/27/2013

I was thinking about Mia the other day, when I was remembering how boring the 1974 version of "The Great Gatsby" was. Not that it was all her fault. Redford was pretty dreadful, too. But she had absolutely no charisma in that movie. And then I compared it to "Rosemary's Baby," where she doesn't do much either except scream when necessary, and then "See No Evil," where she stumbles around as a blind woman in a big empty house and screams a lot. And it became pretty clear: She's really no actress, and the only reason she was ever employed was because of her mother.

by Anonymousreply 6705/27/2013

I thought she did a great job in RB and See No Evil. She conveys the vulnerability of her characters without going over the top. She's a very nuanced, layered actress.

by Anonymousreply 6805/27/2013

Mia is wonderful in Romsemary's baby. She really makes you believe that she is blissfully unaware for the first hours of the film or so. Her transition to awareness is subtle and perfectly timed (I am sure Polanski gets some credit for this).

I think the scene in the phone booth is some of the best acting she's ever done. The take is around 4 minutes long and the way she hits all the beats of humor and fear is impeccable.

by Anonymousreply 6905/27/2013

[quote]Romsemary's baby

Rosemary's baby!

by Anonymousreply 7005/27/2013

I agree that Mia was perfect for "Rosemary's Baby" and "See No Evil."

I also thought Mia was touching as the pathetic movie fan Cecilia in "The Purple Rose of Cairo" and chilling as the manipulative woman who always gets what she wants in "Husbands and Wives."

by Anonymousreply 7105/27/2013

"How did she and Frank Sinatra wind up together?

I'm surprised no one mentioned this, the rumor surrounding Mia and Sinatra's marriage, was that she was hard core heroin addict at the time.

Through his connection with the Mob, Sinatra had drug dealer connections, he could easily get pure heroin for his addicted wife and he was also able to keep her addiction from the press due to his Mob ties and other connections.

Considering the type of shapely and sexy women Sinatra was involved with, Ava Gardner was just one example, it seemed highly unlikely he'd find a boyish bag of bones like Mia Farrow a suitable mate. They were probably no more than friends. Sinatra was an enabler during her heroin years.

by Anonymousreply 7205/27/2013

There are actresses and actors considered to be untalented or only popular for their looks or the timing of their careers.

I agree with r71 and others. Mia Farrow was as perfect in Rosemary's Baby as she could be. Maybe to some in the same way that Julie Andrews was in "The Sound of Music" or Audrey Hepburn in "Roman Holiday"? It could have been a one-off, but it wasn't. She was perfectly cast and perfectly unique and very moving.

Woody Allen showed her to be immensely talented in "Broadway Danny Rose", "Hannah and her Sisters", "Crimes and Misdemeanors" and most beautifully in "The Purple Rose of Cairo".

That is a beautiful film, and as clear a valentine to her as the one she later returned.

I don't care about their personal lives. Mia Farrow and Audrey Hepburn both represented the last new idea of beauty. There has been no truthful one since. No ones life stands up to scrutiny. Mia was a dippy girl with Sinatra, but she grew up cultured and chose men for love and the adventure of that. She had pretty good taste, even in her mistakes. Her book is a bit of a delicate PC read, but I have a weak spot for the title. "What Falls Away", by Theodore Roethke tells me something about her simple and fine taste. Yeah, I like neutral colours.

Woody Allen must have something? The American Master's documentary was both revealing and withholding. His work with Diane Keaton, Mia Farrow, Scarlett Johansson, Dianne Wiest and Judy Davis must mean something. They are not all the same, and to call them neurotics is a disservice to very individual women who have succeeded in being versatile and living their far from prescribed lives on their terms. He has good taste too.

I think that Allen respects and fears women a great deal. His middle aged choice of partner was bizarre and unexpected, but so in a way were the ones before. There would seem to be a lack of passion with all these women, but how do we know?

Farrow was with Sinatra and Previn and that is passion. Keaton was with Pacino and Beatty, where there was most likely some fire.

Anyway, "The Purple Rose of Cairo" is one of my favorite films, and I think there is more than artsy clever reverence or bathos in it. It is a passionate movie. Mia Farrow is heartbreaking and sad, but a winner of sorts in the lexicon of Woody Allen. A lot of people don't get when he is paying a true compliment. It was to Mia.

She ethereal and a bit wispy, but not a one-off, or a haircut.

by Anonymousreply 7305/27/2013

I agree that "purple Rose" is one of my very favorite films ever and Mia has a lot to do with it

by Anonymousreply 7405/27/2013

But you don't FUCK THE CHILDREN, R73!

by Anonymousreply 7505/27/2013

Thanks,, r75

I don't think he should fuck of fondle the children either! I would beat his skinny ass down, and take him to court.

But we have the films....

by Anonymousreply 7705/28/2013

"The Sopranos", indeed. That's Paulie Walnuts in the wedding photo that OP provides.

by Anonymousreply 7805/28/2013

Click here to wake up

by Anonymousreply 7905/28/2013

Mia Farrow is not particularly interesting. She was made more interesting by her relationships with men. Supposedly her father was a tyrannical bastard and she sought out relationships with tyrannical men all of her life, along with being somewhat tyrannical herself.

Woody Allen is a genius and has clearly passed that on to his son. Sadly, he's also a man of breathtaking selfishness, unsound ethics and unforgivable arrogance.

Under no theory of ethical behavior is it okay to fuck the girl who has been your step-daughter since she was ten. Even if he didn't consider her his step-daughter, under no theory of ethical behavior is it okay to fuck your girlfriend's daughter whom you have known since she was ten.

Even if you magically remove Mia Farrow from the picture, under no theory of ethical behavior is it okay to fuck your son's half-sister/adopted sister/whatever sister.

"What the heart wants" does not absolve anyone of their obligation to be a decent human being. Woody Allen failed at that so spectacularly and so publicly that his reputation has never recovered, nor will it, nor should it.

When he dies, there is not a single obituary that will fail to mention what he did.

by Anonymousreply 8005/28/2013

There are lots of gorgeous Asian women. And then there's Soon Yi.

She looks like the housecleaner

by Anonymousreply 8105/28/2013

Woody's white adopted daughter looks like her parents were tweaking Cro-Magnons.

by Anonymousreply 8205/28/2013

Soon Yi is developmentally disabled. Which makes what Allen did even worse.

by Anonymousreply 8305/28/2013

My opinion on Woody is that what happened is the result of what happens to a former dweeb/outcast when he becomes the most popular kid in the class and EVERYONE tells you that you are a genius and wants to be your friend. You begin to believe you can create your own moral universe, that you are entitled to everything you want. Can you imagine what it would be like if nobody told you "no"?

[quote]Baby Jane Hudson famously said "You can never lose your talent!"

by Anonymousreply 8505/29/2013

R73, you really think that Mia and Audrey represented the last new idea of beauty?

Really? Who before her looked like Bo Derek? Who before her looked like Michelle Pfeiffer? Or Angelina Jolie? All three have (and I'm sure others I've omitting) have incredibly unique features that some love, some hate, but all are intrigued by.

by Anonymousreply 8605/29/2013

soon yi is retarted? omg thats so fucked up lol. and i too have seen the pic of allen with the two tween adoptees. it's staggeringly creepy. fuck all of them and fuck mia too. fuckin rosemary

by Anonymousreply 8705/29/2013

Fascinating Vanity Fair article "Mia's Story" from 1992 about Woody and Mia's break up by Maureen Orth. It's long (8 pages) but worth taking the time to read it. Interesting version of R57's story in the article, also a lot about Woody's abnormal attachment and involvement with his daughter and his extreme anger. It is "Mia's story", so you have to take it with a grain of salt but a good read none the less

by Anonymousreply 8805/29/2013

[quote]I think the scene in the phone booth is some of the best acting she's ever done. The take is around 4 minutes long and the way she hits all the beats of humor and fear is impeccable

I agree. Marvelous acting in this film. And man, does this film still hold up!

by Anonymousreply 8905/29/2013

OK r86.

I want to address you, but it is a kind of pointless discussion. Are you the SWF chick?

Who else looked like Bo Derek? - well Linda Evans for one and many others. That nose job was unfortunately very popular and a prerequisite for a John Derek wife or a late seventies model.

I love Michelle Pfeiffer in every way for her talent and her beauty. I don't think that she was a new idea of beauty however. She was a knockout. I am polish and Italian, so thick luscious lips are not new....think Bardot or Loren. Pfeiffer also has "that" nose job and is one of the few people that gets away with it not ruining her looks.

When I said that Audrey Hepburn and Mia Farrow presented the last new idea of screen beauty, I was using some hyberbole, but I am given to grand and truthful statements. Audrey Hepburn was tall, skinny, flat chested with wide hips and big feet, a strong jaw and a nose lip ratio that could compare her to a duck. Yet she was lovely. Not just once or from a special angle. She was a new way to see beauty on film and in any light.

Farrow, with her square jaw, hollow cheeks, pale and unadorned complexion, but with beautiful symmetrical features and a boyish body was also new and beautiful - not sexy, not exotic, just a natural translucent, close to perfect delicate face.

Angelina Jolie is sexy and sometimes gorgeous, but I don't see how she is new, except once again for natural full lips and a homely nose. Yes this is may be newly desirable. As a guy with full shapely lips I can tell you that it is always appreciated.

You may be thinking more of modelling or something R86 ? Something tells me you are.

We are always being told that Gwyneth or Jennifer Lawrence or Anne Hathaway are beautiful, when of course they are not, classically or in a way that changes peoples minds about beauty. Julie Christie was once considered a new sort of beauty,and that I kind of get, but by whose standard has that woman not always been gorgeous? Subjectives.

Audrey Hepburn and Mia Farrow opened peoples' minds to a new idea of beauty because somehow they just did. They were the last to achieve that impact and seismic shift in people's minds, not hype. That is my declaration. I stick with it. Besides I stated many more provocative things in my post.

You must be that SWF chick. She was always picking on my posts. But even she would not bring up Bo Derek?

by Anonymousreply 9005/29/2013

She beat-up Soon-Yi a fact confirmed in a book by the Nanny, court documents, and even Mia herself in her book

by Anonymousreply 9105/29/2013

Love her!

by Anonymousreply 9205/29/2013

[quote] Love her!

For beating up her own child?

by Anonymousreply 9305/29/2013

R91, citation, please.

by Anonymousreply 9405/29/2013

What Falls Away Page 259 (Paperback) by Mia Farrow

At one point, toward the end of that first week, I went to talk to Soon-Yi. She was sitting on the floor with the phone in her lap. I asked her when this had begun. "Senior year in High School," she said. Unbearable details emerged. I POUNCED ON HER. I HIT HER ON THE SIDE OF HER FACE AND SHOULDERS. I went into the kitchen, crying. In her room I heard Soon-Yi sobbing, "I'm a bad girl. I'm a bad girl."

What Mia doesn't mention, was that she used the phone Soon-Yi was holding to beat her on the side of her face. That was confirmed by the Nanny in her tell-all book about Mia.

by Anonymousreply 9505/29/2013

Daughter Soon-yi Says That Farrow Beat Her

Mia Farrow is alleged to have beaten her daughter Soon-Yi Previn after she found out in January that Previn and Farrow's boyfriend, Woody Allen, had been seeing each other. Both Previn, speaking through friends, and a friend of Allen's say that when Farrow found nude pictures of Previn in Allen's apartment she beat Previn with a chair, ripped up her clothes and ordered her out of her house. Previn reportedly left Farrow's apartment a few days afterward.

by Anonymousreply 9605/29/2013

Oh for pete's sake, half of you were rooting for Kate Winslet's Mildred Pierce to kick the crap out of Veda at the end of the miniseries.

Look, obviously any kind of battery is very wrong, but the woman just found out her daughter was sleeping with the man who not only was her lover and coparent of a decade, but also held her entire acting career in his hands. According to the Nanny's book, Woody wouldn't let Mia do anybody else's films while he was with her. Between a Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy and Husbands and Wives, every movie she did was for Woody Allen (13 movies!) with the exception of Supergirl. So to see that slip away in such a terrible fashion would trigger a psychotic episode in a lot of people.

by Anonymousreply 9705/29/2013

I thought Mia, Woody and Soon-who all made up after one of the other adopted kids passed away. Read somewhere that Mia made the first move and gave one of those 'life's too short' speeches.

Favorite Mia movie moment: seeing Broadway Danny Rose in a crowded movie theatre and hearing two patrons say, on the way out, 'I thought Mia Farrow was in this.'

She was fucking unrecognizably brilliant. Have been a fan since Rosemary's Baby but Danny Rose was, I think, her best work by far.

by Anonymousreply 9805/29/2013

Thanks for the citation, R95 / R96. I think less of Mia now. However, to be fair, I recognize that we all have our breaking point. I also wouldn't put it past Soon Yi to have done some taunting and crowing to Mia over what (to her mind) was the coup of stealing her mother's boyfriend.

At least Mia was honest enough to admit what she did in "What Falls Away."

Mia also would have known that her children's family life would be fractured forever because of Woody's seduction and alienation of their sister, Soon Yi.

by Anonymousreply 9905/29/2013

R97 In all fairness, Woody revived Mia's movie career (she was doing a so so broadway play when they met) and he gave her some amazing roles where she did, I think, her best work.

by Anonymousreply 10005/29/2013

She is a terrible, stilted actress who gives the same performance all the time. But it doesn't matter. She is enormously successful because of the life she has led. A teen tv star, married Sinatra,, made Rosemary's Baby, a film that was the "It" film of its time; appeared on the cover of virtuallly every magazine of the 1960s. She headed off to India and hung out with the Beatles. She wrecked Andre Previn's marriage, adopted a squad of oddball children, became the muse of NYC's official film director, was involved in a creepy legal battle having to do with her former lover and her children, became a chronic do-gooder for the world's downtrodden.

Now THAT'S a life!

by Anonymousreply 10105/29/2013

Mia was angelic and beautiful as the star of Peyton Place in 1964. You could not take your eyes off of her. She was the breakout star and then when walking to the 20th Century Fox commisary with co-star Ryan O'Neal, she spotted Sinatra making Von Ryan's Express. She plotted for a meeting and hooked him. She became problematic on PP when she wanted time off to be with Frank, shooting schedule be damned. The show wrote her off and put her in a coma. Her character Allison, then had a nervous breakdown and she famously cut her trademark blonde hair to an inch. Only 21 this girl knew how to get publicity in a way that Madonna would envy. She really was just a 60's creation. Anything she did professionally after, was never that succesful . Buy the Peyton Place dvd of the first season and your appreciation of her acting will be off the charts.

by Anonymousreply 10205/29/2013

The Woody Allen documentary was like an infomercial. He seems to have some anti-social tendencies as evident when he can't see what the "big deal" about the scandal was. He also sued his former (producing?) partners and thought while the lawsuit was happening, he could have dinner with them since business is business and had nothing to do with their "friendship". I think he sued them for financial fraud or something like that and his long-time friends/partners were appalled by both the law suit and his attitude.

by Anonymousreply 10305/29/2013

Woody Allen appears to have some bizarre amalgam of Asperger's and sociopathy.

I would like to coin the term, "Aspiepath."

BTW R103 After everything that happened, EVERYTHING THAT HAPPENED BETWEEN MIA AND HIM, he still wanted Mia to play his wife in "Mighty Aphrodite." IIRC correctly, he told his flabbergasted casting director Juliet Taylor, "Mia could do this. She's a pro."

The New Yorker said it best:

by Anonymousreply 10405/29/2013

She was certainly one of the 'it' girls of the 60s. If you google her name and magazine covers, she's on a ton (and all the major ones)

Did she have an affair with any of the Beatles? She spent some time in India with them ?

I think Angie Jolie is her current counter-part.

by Anonymousreply 10505/29/2013

Some of you are just damaged goods. Mia did not adopt slaves, she adopted many handicapped kids and saved their lives, raising them herself. Woody had very little interaction with the kids, with the exception of the one he was fucking. And Mia didn't want to continue the relationship. She wanted to work, "Manhattan Murder Mystery" was in pre production and after she found out she still attended her scheduled costume fitting, and was fired. She is a professional who would have honored her contract, just like when Sinatra ordered her to quit "Rosemary's Baby" mid production so she could be in his "The Dectective". She refused and he served her divorce papers on Rosemary's set.

by Anonymousreply 10605/29/2013

She had an affair with Polanski on the set of "Rosemary's Baby."

I wonder how much of her lovelife was proactive or reactive... Sinatra, Polanski, and Allen all have that "predator" aspect.

by Anonymousreply 10705/29/2013

She was just dreadful in Murder on the Nile. I think that was her last film before meeting Woody.

by Anonymousreply 10805/29/2013

Mia makes an appearance on What's My Line? during her brief marriage to Sinatra, who just happened to be a guest panelist that night on the show.

At the end she talks about soon making a film of Peter Pan (playing Peter).

by Anonymousreply 10905/29/2013

I think Mia is a highly intelligent woman - perhaps more crafty and clever than Woody. She knows how to play the publicity machine, and she knocked the ball out of the park with a few choice roles. Love her.

by Anonymousreply 11005/29/2013

Anyone can see how she changed the standard of beauty, viewing her in the WML clip. She (and Twiggy) created that child-like nymph look that is still with us today but was quite startling in 1965.

I think I hear Arlene Francis say to her as Mia exits, "You like like a four year old!"

And indeed she does.

by Anonymousreply 11105/30/2013

[quote]bizarre amalgam of Asperger's and sociopath

or in plain language, he is self-centered and selfish

by Anonymousreply 11205/30/2013

Overrated actor. I think she's awful. And I recall her crazy days with Sinatra and always left she was a little on the mentally unstable side.

by Anonymousreply 11305/30/2013

I'm sorry to all of the Mia fans on this thread. I'm not trying to piss you off,but I have read by more than one person she is a real shrew and completely nuts. Sorry but I can't stand her Birkenstock non establishment attire she is wearing these days. I think she is dressing like that to make a statement like, I'm anti-establishment and I'm intellectual and I'm a earthly humanitarian, and I'm so in tune, which is translated to phony BS.

I remember when Oprah interviewed Mia about her book,and you could tell Oprah did not like her. Oprah was grilling Mia why did she go back to Woody after finding out that he was molesting her children? Mia was stumbling over her words and she was caught off guard and she said well? uh? I was still in love with him, uh? and Oprah said, but he was molesting your children right?!!

by Anonymousreply 11405/30/2013

My women go back to abusive partners out of fear and co-dependency.

by Anonymousreply 11505/30/2013

by Anonymousreply 11605/30/2013

Mia on What's My Line? As an aside, I always enjoyed watching Phyllis Newman on this and the Tonight Show. Love her laugh.

by Anonymousreply 11705/30/2013

Sorry R109 Didn't see your post before I put up the WML? link

The entire PETER PAN is on youtube. No way as magical as Mary Martin (TV) or Sandy Duncan's Broadway version. Different book and score. Score is dull.

by Anonymousreply 11805/30/2013

R99 Soon-Yi said to Mia (this according to the Nanny's book)

'The person sleeping with the man is the one in the relationship'

That is when Mia pounced on Soon-Yi and beat her up.

This is assault, plain and simple.

If I was Soon-Yi I would have called the cops and charged Mia with assault.

by Anonymousreply 11905/30/2013

R100 Mia also said in her book she wasn't terribly ambitious when it came to her work. The one movie a year with Woody was enough, and she wasn't looking for more.

Her children were much more important than pursuing a career outside of Woody's films.

[quote] I think she is dressing like that to make a statement like, I'm anti-establishment and I'm intellectual and I'm a earthly humanitarian, and I'm so in tune, which is translated to phony BS.

She always dressed like that, even when she was with Woody.

by Anonymousreply 12005/30/2013

LOL R119. That is STONE COLD.

Soon-Yi was abused by her biological mother and more or less grew up in the streets of Seoul, so if she became a sociopath it was because she developed it as a survival technique.

by Anonymousreply 12105/30/2013

In a widely circulated quote, Soon-Yi dismissed Farrow as “no Mother Teresa”

by Anonymousreply 12205/30/2013

Neither Mia nor Soon Yi were angels.

Soon Yi probably had attachment disorder regarding Mia. One day she's a kid on the streets of Seoul, another day she's on Central Park West with some blonde lady pointing at herself and saying, "Mommy."

by Anonymousreply 12305/30/2013

R114, Mia did not go back to Woody after she found out what was going on- she ended the relationship.

by Anonymousreply 12405/30/2013

R124 according to the nanny's book, Woody and Mia did try to repair their relationship after she found out about Soon-Yi. They would fight about it at their Connecticut home and then go out to dinner at their favorite local restaurant as usual.

by Anonymousreply 12505/30/2013

I think the most ironic thing about the whole Woody Mia Soon-Yi triad is how Mia and Andre Previn adopted Soon-Yi and Dore Previn wrote "Beware of Little Girls" about Mia. Mia could have written the same song about Soon-Yi later on. Karma.

by Anonymousreply 12605/30/2013

[quote] "Beware of Little Girls"

It's Beware of Young Girls"

by Anonymousreply 12705/30/2013

OT but interesting, John Lennon wrote "Dear Prudence" about her sister Prudence Farrow. She was with the group in meditation in India and was very serious about it. She would not "Come out and play".

by Anonymousreply 12805/30/2013

Woody had an affair with either Prudence or Tisa. Also Diane Keaton's sister I believe. He has a sister fetish. "Interiors" and "Hannah and Her Sisters" are products of his fascination.

by Anonymousreply 12905/30/2013

[quote]Soon Yi is developmentally disabled.

Nonsense. I've observed Woody and Soon Yi up close, and waited on them a number of times. Soon Yi is perfectly-abled, and a reasonably friendly woman with a sharp mind, and advanced vocabulary. She's nobody's fool.

by Anonymousreply 13005/30/2013

Wait a minute. Some poster said Mia was served divorce papers by Frank when she was on the set of Rosemary's Baby and another poster said she having a thing with Roman while making that film? Put the puzzle pieces together people. Probably Frank found out about the affair and that is probably why he decided to divorce her. Frank didn't like his wives to have affairs,but he was one of those jerks who felt it was acceptable for him to have affairs.

BTW, I once watched a documentary about the life of Sharon Tate and they interviewed Mia about Sharon.Mia smiled and commented how adorable Sharon was trying to please Roman, and now I find out on this thread Mia was screwing her friend's husband? Sorry, but she sounds like a real phony and a completely two faced!

R124, I remembered the interview and Mia did say that to Oprah. No, I'm not a frau.

by Anonymousreply 13105/30/2013

[quote]now I find out on this thread Mia was screwing her friend's husband?

You really thing everything you read on DL is a fact?

by Anonymousreply 13205/30/2013

No mention of Mia's recent affair with Philip Roth? I'm not sure how well known this is, but they were neighbors in the Hamptons. She does like older men...Frank Sinatra, Andre Previn, Woody Allen, Philip Roth...

Also worthy of notice is the fact that Mia's brother, who harshly criticized Woody over the Soon Yi incident, was recently arrested for molesting children.

by Anonymousreply 13305/30/2013

[quote]Also worthy of notice is the fact that Mia's brother, who harshly criticized Woody over the Soon Yi incident, was recently arrested for molesting children.

Noted. What a creep.

He was arrested in November, and his trial is set to begin July 25.

The alleged child-molesting crimes took place in a community called Saunders Point in Edgewater, MD.

by Anonymousreply 13405/31/2013

Mia may have had the affair with Polanski after she was served the divorce papers.

by Anonymousreply 13505/31/2013

R134 I wonder if Mia and her brother were abused by John Farrow as children.

It would explain A LOT.

by Anonymousreply 13605/31/2013

That is a very good point R136. I forgot about Mia's brother. Maybe he tried to molest Mia's children as well? Usually molesters have more than one victim ,and if they can get easy access to children, they use the opportunity. I hope he didn't do anything to Mia's children. Gosh, this lady had to deal with a freak pervert ex husband, and on top of that a brother who is a molester.I read in Mia's biography when her father died her mother told her, now you have to help me with the famliy. After that Mia was so serious ,and friends of Mia's mother told her Mia is too serious for a little kid.

BTW, I read in Mia's Biography apparently Mia adored Ava Gardner when she was a child because she talked to Mia like an adult ,and not the usual a bit condescending way adults talk to kids automatically thinking they are naive kind of way. The author said it is ironic that Mia years later would marry the love of Ava's life.

by Anonymousreply 13705/31/2013

Soon-Yi was the only daughter of Mia's to graduate University

by Anonymousreply 13805/31/2013

I'm confused about the timeline on Farrow/Sinatra mariage.

In the What's My Line? clip, her hair is obviously very short and they must have just gotten married. But she says nothing about the prospect of making Rosemary's Baby, only Peter Pan.

How long did the marriage last? Did she shoot Peter Pan before Rosemary's Baby? I'm guessing she was only a week or so into production of Rosemary's Baby when the divorce papers were served?

Do you all realize how rare it was then (and now!) for a TV actress to quickly make the transition into an A-list movie star? Obviously, the marriage and attendant publicity really helped her there.

by Anonymousreply 13905/31/2013

Frank Sinatra was a dick on that clip. His macho act is so off putting

by Anonymousreply 14005/31/2013

Is Frank wearing a toupee on What's My Line?

by Anonymousreply 14105/31/2013

John Farrow actually bears a strong resemblance to Sinatra around the time Mia was married to him.

by Anonymousreply 14205/31/2013

John Farrow had the "dead" eyes of a hardcore psychopath.

They remind me of Ryan Murphy's.

by Anonymousreply 14305/31/2013

It does look like it r141

by Anonymousreply 14405/31/2013

Mia, gorgeous with long hair.

by Anonymousreply 14505/31/2013

Gay Talese did a famous article for Esquire, I believe it was, called "Frank Sinatra Has a Cold." It was written in the late '60s, I believe. He described the people around Sinatra, the entourage and hangers on. Part of the entourage was a little old lady whose job it was to tend to Sinatra's many toupees. She was always on-call and hanging around with them carrying a bag containing an emergency toupee should he need it.

by Anonymousreply 14605/31/2013

I recently worked on a project that required researching photos of Frank Sinatra in the 1960s and it was hard to find many posed color shots of him not wearing a fedora. Usually a straw fedora.

Of course, he was often seen without hats in film roles and night club stages, but for record album covers and head shots, he was usually hatted.

I don't think he pretended he was fooling anyone with his toupees.

Now Dean Martin....that was a gorgeous head of real man's hair!

by Anonymousreply 14705/31/2013

"She does like older men...Frank Sinatra, Andre Previn, Woody Allen, Philip Roth..."

Women who "like" much older men often are cracked and not seldom survivors of sexual childhood abuse.

by Anonymousreply 14805/31/2013

Since the site seems to be down I did a search for Mia Farrow because I think she is really cool and to see if this post will work or not.

Sorry for coming across as odd.

by Anonymousreply 14906/29/2013

She must have got lots of cock back in the day, almost as much as Barbra and Faye.

by Anonymousreply 15006/30/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!