Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Question for dog owners

Whenver I read about dog-proofing a house they mention being sure electric cords are out of the way. I have floor speakers with electric and signal cables that I can' really put out of reach. How likely is it that a dog would chew on them? Would I have to keep him or her out of that room unless I'm there?

by Anonymousreply 1505/25/2013

Dog proofing or puppy proofing they are two different things.

by Anonymousreply 105/25/2013

I'm going to adopt--probably adult.

by Anonymousreply 205/25/2013

Very unlikely an adult would chew on cables unless they had separation anxiety.

by Anonymousreply 305/25/2013

The only animal who ever chewed my speaker wire was a Siamese cat. My dog was not a chewer. Neither was the secondary dog in my life. And my best friend's two dogs aren't chewers.

Adopt a full-grown dog from a shelter, and you may never have to worry about chewing.

by Anonymousreply 405/25/2013

That's the trouble with bacon-flavored cords.

by Anonymousreply 505/25/2013

Like the others have said adult dogs don't really chew. The only time I've known an adult dog to chew is if it hasn't been walked in a long time. And then the owner deserved it for neglecting their dog.

by Anonymousreply 605/25/2013

Have you read dogshaming?

by Anonymousreply 705/25/2013

You better block adult websites and watch your credit card statements; as you never know what a new dog will get up to.

by Anonymousreply 805/25/2013

I like Bentley.

by Anonymousreply 905/25/2013

You can get a bitter tasting spray just in case. It's a bitter cherry flavor I believe.

by Anonymousreply 1005/25/2013

Our English bulldog was a terrible chewer as a puppy but he didn't chew wires. Remote controls and shoes were another matter. Even now, at the age of 4, I still don't trust him with shoes. Bulldogs, though, are notorious chewers. If you're adopting an adult dog, you shouldn't have a problem unless you leave it alone for long periods of time.

by Anonymousreply 1105/25/2013

WTF is dog-proofing?

by Anonymousreply 1205/25/2013

Yeah, R9. Good dog, Bentley.

by Anonymousreply 1305/25/2013

Making the home safe for dogs.

by Anonymousreply 1405/25/2013

Older dogs chew for two reasons: anxiety or attention.

If your dog is crate trained, put him in his crate when you have to leave him alone. He will feel more secure. Make sure you do has gone for a pee walk before you leave. This may sound stupid, but do not get angry at anyone or for any reason and then leave your dog alone. You dog does not understand why you were angry and will be anxious. You need to stay with your dog until you are both calm.

Once you dog has learned that that he get get your attention by chewing on something, it will be very hard to break the habit (our dog loves that bitter spray and will drink it straight from the bottle). Rather than react when your do is chewing on something he is not supposed to, try distracting him with something else, preferably not a treat as you don't want him to associate chewing with a reward.

by Anonymousreply 1505/25/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!