Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Robbie Rogers, Openly Gay U.S. Soccer Player, Joins L.A. Galaxy In Return To MLS

"I don't know what I was so afraid of," Rogers said Friday. "It's been such a positive experience for me. The one thing I've learned from all of this is being gay is not that big of a deal to people."

by Anonymousreply 2805/26/2013

Good for him!

(On a shallower note: Does anyone here know him? He's hot)

by Anonymousreply 105/25/2013

"The one thing I've learned from all of this is being gay is not that big of a deal to people."

To all the gutless, spineless closeted DL "masculine bros" who don't like being called gay: take note.

And the guy is a real athlete, not some jock wannabe.

by Anonymousreply 205/25/2013

What a trailblazer.

by Anonymousreply 305/25/2013

the LA galaxy fans are not happy about the news not because Robbie is gay but they traded a great player like Mike Magee for him.

by Anonymousreply 405/25/2013

The traded a fan favorite for him. Not a good start.

by Anonymousreply 505/25/2013

Well, let's hope Robbie plays the hell outta that game and takes the Galaxy to whatever is the MLS version of the Super Bowl/World Series/Stanley Cup.

by Anonymousreply 605/25/2013

R2--You are confusing two things. The fact that he is attracted to men is what he means when using the word "gay" in that quote. What other men who have same-sex attractions but don't like the label "gay" are talking about is not the same-sex attraction. It's the social connotations of the label.

To oversimplify, if Robbie said he was attracted to men, and started throwing shade, dressing in drag and worshipping Lady Gaga, his welcome might not have been so assured.

by Anonymousreply 705/25/2013

It's ridiculous that they dumped this history breaking news on a weekend..I wonder if it's intentional so it wouldn't be a media circus or MLS is that dumb?

by Anonymousreply 805/25/2013

[all posts by ham-fisted troll a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 905/25/2013

Now, a reason to pay attention to soccer. Beckham played for that team but that didn't result in much increased attention for them beyond the first game.

by Anonymousreply 1005/25/2013

Robbie is pretty fem off the field, R7.

by Anonymousreply 1105/25/2013

r11,True he calls his mostly fashion designer friends "queen" and hangs out in weho

by Anonymousreply 1205/25/2013

[quote]It's ridiculous that they dumped this history breaking news on a weekend..I wonder if it's intentional so it wouldn't be a media circus or MLS is that dumb?

You're quite uninformed about soccer. Actually, this is the BEST weekend to drop the news since soccer fans are at a heightened state of alert for the Champions League final which just finished up in London. Football/soccer fans all over the world are on sports boards and forums discussing the match and reading the sports press and blogs which is inevitably covering this.

The Galaxy are master of PR. No doubt there was a reason why this announcement was timed this way. They are getting loads of publicity at an important time.

by Anonymousreply 1305/25/2013

How are they going to deal with the shower situation? Is he going to have his own private one? What about away games?

by Anonymousreply 1405/25/2013

Do tell us all about your pro sports endeavors.

What Pro teams are trying to get you to play for them?

by Anonymousreply 1505/25/2013

There's also an exhibition match this evening at Yankee Stadium between Chelsea (Europa Cup champions this year and Champions League winners last year) and Manchester City (EPL runner up this year and winner last year). So it's a pretty damn ideal weekend for the announcement. They're playing another friendly later this week. It'll be on Fox Soccer Channel at 6:00 EST for Fernando Torres fans. (but Juan Mata's a better player to watch these days.)

by Anonymousreply 1605/25/2013

The fuck are you talking about, r15? I can't have an opinion (about something I know for certain, no less) because I'm not a professional athlete? Sit down, cunt. You might need me to save your life one day.

by Anonymousreply 1705/25/2013

[quote]they traded a great player like Mike Magee for him.

He may be a fan favorite and a clutch player but "great" is not a description for him.

by Anonymousreply 1805/25/2013

Hopefully he'll prove himself to be more than bling to the Galaxy. They lost their marketing card with Beckham's departure, so is Rogers just another marketing ploy?

by Anonymousreply 1905/25/2013

Rogers is a talented player. He helped lead the Columbus Crew to an MLS championship and he has at least a dozen caps for the National Team. (something Mike Magee could only have dreamed of) He had a serious ankle injury that kept him out for quite some time and kept him from reaching any potential at Leeds. Time will tell.

by Anonymousreply 2005/25/2013

One reporter took a pic of the press conference and it was empty ..hmmm

by Anonymousreply 2105/25/2013

R17 needs to attend Rageholics Anonymous classes.

Why do the "masculine" ones always get so queeny when angry?

by Anonymousreply 2205/25/2013

Let's see him return to the Premier League. At Millwall.

by Anonymousreply 2305/25/2013

link r21?

by Anonymousreply 2405/25/2013

R21,@alexiLalas twitter I don't want to link it here

by Anonymousreply 2505/25/2013

You don't want to link it here? Why not? Because you're lying at R21. Someone took a picture of Alexi Lalas in an empty Galaxy press room pre-announcement. Stop being so butt hurt about Magee's transfer.

by Anonymousreply 2605/25/2013

I see it r25

by Anonymousreply 2705/25/2013

why do fem guys like to call other dudes "cu#t?"

by Anonymousreply 2805/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!