Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

How has Datalounge made an impact on your life?

I'm a straight woman. It's funny but since being on Datalounge, I've pretty much started to dislike most things that women are supposed to like.

I've also become so accustomed to the male-centric topics on Datalounge, that if it were not for the circumstances that I am currently in that surrounds me exclusively with other females, I'd have lots of male friends as well.

(I say "friends" because I don't want to engage in a romantic relationship right now.)

I know so much about a male's interests in life that we'd understand each other and make great companions.

by Anonymousreply 12907/17/2013

"male-centric" topics on datalounge??? You've got to be kidding. I'm male, and every time I come here I feel like I'm in a group of women (or maybe males who don't really like being male).

by Anonymousreply 105/25/2013

I had a nightmare I turned into a gaybro. I went to play baseball in a fully-lit baseball stadium and I was the only one there.

by Anonymousreply 305/25/2013

I'm also a SWF. Most important to me to learn the truth about everything in life and not the PR version. Growing up in a small-town atmosphere where almost everyone, including my family, was totally delusional, it's been very enlightening reading on DL. In the last month I've finally gotten answers to my lifelong questions on the role of religion and guilt and anxiety, why phony psychics and talentless entertainers are promoted, how the entertainment industry really works, the lasting impact of the Viet Nam war, etc, etc, etc.

by Anonymousreply 505/25/2013

I think r1 was talking about r3.

by Anonymousreply 605/25/2013

I have recurring dreams of being thrown down a dark tunnel lined with sharp pointy teeth.

Oh, and this keeps appearing:

by Anonymousreply 705/25/2013

I bought furniture based on a DL recommend and found a place that cleans silk ties.

Sometimes I think of DataLounge as The Great Gay Collective.

Like the GayBorg!

by Anonymousreply 805/25/2013

"You're just looking for a break from all of the drama."

Why would you go to GAY MEN if you wanted a break from all the drama? Gay men are the biggest drama queens.

by Anonymousreply 905/25/2013

It's made mom's basement fabulous!

by Anonymousreply 1005/25/2013

I switched from using a drip coffeemaker to using a French press.

by Anonymousreply 1105/25/2013

I installed a retractable clothesline on my patio, and occasionally hang some laundry out there per the suggestion of the outdoor laundry line drying cadre here on DL.

Mainly sheets and other bed linens.

It's wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 1305/25/2013

I chuckle every time I see a lesbian with a cane.

by Anonymousreply 1405/25/2013

by Anonymousreply 1505/25/2013

Your living in LALA Land r12 if you don't think gay men are worse at competition and drama.

by Anonymousreply 1605/25/2013

I actually underwent a much needed gall bladder removal thanks to DL diagnosis and intervention.

Plus all the showbiz stuff.

by Anonymousreply 1705/25/2013

I've become a jaded cunt and taken my cat pictures down from my cubicle.

by Anonymousreply 1805/25/2013

r5, you're welcome.

by Anonymousreply 1905/25/2013

by Anonymousreply 2005/25/2013

Good point R5

by Anonymousreply 2105/25/2013

[quote]I switched from using a drip coffeemaker to using a French press.

I started that poll thread asking how people make their coffee. I'm a big French press advocate.

Some very practical stuff. For example, I learned about other posters' experiences with Plantar Fascitis and some good exercises that helped relieve my symptoms.

Other not so practical, but really interesting stuff. Almost everything I know about Mt. Everest climbs. Some aspects of restaurant supply. Specifically how the Sysco conglomorate delivers higher end pastries baked locally.

A lot of other "odds and ends" things.

by Anonymousreply 2205/25/2013

R19, R21, I wish I could thank those that have enlightened me in person. I'm just glad this site attracts educated, observant, aware people willing to share what they've learned. I'd love to host a cable TV show uncovering the latest scams and fraudulent info in a humorous style.

by Anonymousreply 2305/25/2013

Now that you mention it, R22, it was here on DL that I picked up the idea of using my Melitta coffeepot again. Now it's called "pourover" coffee by the hipsters, but it makes the best coffee I've ever tasted. I hadn't been drinking coffee for about ten years.

I never got the hang of using the French press.

by Anonymousreply 2405/25/2013

I've gotten some great book and music recommendations.

by Anonymousreply 2505/25/2013

r16 pretended to read only the first sentence of r12.

by Anonymousreply 2605/25/2013

Deep thoughts, R26.

by Anonymousreply 2705/25/2013

It doesn't take much deep thought to observe that some who like to call themselves "gay men" are nothing of the sort.

by Anonymousreply 2805/25/2013

Datalounge has given me hours and hours, days and days of pure enjoyment, satisfaction in reading about so many interesting topics, a place to communicate and contribute thoughts, and the opportunity to read the thoughts of others.

by Anonymousreply 2905/25/2013

The 2 Robin Weigert links were among the most healing thing to happen to me . So grateful to see that I wasn't her only victim.

by Anonymousreply 3005/25/2013

r12: what color is the sky in your world?

by Anonymousreply 3105/25/2013

It has greatly increased my total lack of self worth for not hating the inferior Italians, Madonna and Olive Garden.

by Anonymousreply 3205/25/2013

Speaking of Italians, every one of the people with restaurants on Kitchen Nightmares, or most of them are fucked up Italian-Americans who can't cook to save their life. O/T I know but...can someone start a thread on this?

by Anonymousreply 3305/25/2013

I often hear breaking news on DL first. McCain picking Sarah Palin as VP and the Boston bombings, for example, were here before they appeared in my news feeds.

Other than that, DL is the best source for penis management advice I've ever found. I don't personally own a penis, but I have dear friends who do and I'm constantly amazed at the shenanigans that big fella can get up to.

by Anonymousreply 3405/25/2013

Thank you baby.

by Anonymousreply 3505/25/2013

Periodically I have to delete this site from my bookmarks and make sure I stay away - I invariably get myself in trouble by going too far with the sarcasm or getting into it with someone - and then I think it creeps into real life. Unfettered bitchiness is cathartic, but dangerous.

by Anonymousreply 3605/25/2013

It made me realize that I am not paranoid. They really are out to get me.

by Anonymousreply 3705/25/2013

I've learned a lot actually! I love tax troll! He's da best!

And 99% of hollywood is gay or bi.

by Anonymousreply 3805/25/2013

i've enlightened aspies that they were aspies. they didn't know b/c they are older.

by Anonymousreply 3905/25/2013

R36 we've all had run ins with you and I know it ruins your day. Chill.

by Anonymousreply 4005/25/2013

OMG, The Poll Troll was invaluable last year.

Cant wait for the 2014 Poll Troll incarnation!

by Anonymousreply 4105/25/2013

The DL has let me know that the mean-spirited, uneducated, envious and dull assholes I see on the street have access to computers and find their way to the DL.

Impact? Pessimism about the future.

by Anonymousreply 4205/26/2013

You almost had me going, but that last statement was too much. "We'd understand each other and make great companions?!?" No one is that transparently pathetic and needy.

by Anonymousreply 4305/26/2013

[quote]No one is that transparently pathetic and needy.

Robin, that can't be you.

And whomever you are r43, go fuck Todd, you know you want to.

by Anonymousreply 4405/26/2013

I dropped cable and switched to streaming video via a Roku.

by Anonymousreply 4505/26/2013

R42 Why do you come here, frau, if DL is such a nasty place?

by Anonymousreply 4605/26/2013

I now drink Fresca

by Anonymousreply 4705/26/2013

I use the term husbear at work to describe the marriage partners of the Frauen.

They don't get it.

by Anonymousreply 4805/26/2013

Datalounge taught me that a lot of gays are consumed with bitter envy at people who are good looking and successful. Also that a normal penis is 8-9 inches!

by Anonymousreply 4905/26/2013

"I know so much about a male's interests"

Seriously, you might want to qualify that as "a gay male's interests".

While's there's certainly a great deal of overlap between gay & straight thoughts, they're still quite different enough not to generalize.

by Anonymousreply 5005/26/2013

DL has confirmed observations I've made before. There isn't an intellectual culture among gay people involving gay life. If you don't respond to every gay attack or killing with "the attacker must have been closeted" then you are outside the norm. In fact, "he or she must be closeted" is the go-to reponse to anyone gay people consider bad.

by Anonymousreply 5105/26/2013

I make bitchier comments online

I giggle when i see a Ruth's Chris

by Anonymousreply 5205/26/2013

R51 Because it's true that there are too many closeted people.

by Anonymousreply 5305/26/2013

[bold]How has Datalounge made an impact on your life?[/bold]

It became my No. 1 discussion site.

by Anonymousreply 5405/26/2013

R49 You have never seen a penis, frau, only dildos. Especially when you masturbate watching hot, probably gays, guys.

by Anonymousreply 5505/26/2013

My regret is not having known about during the second half of the 1990s. I missed too much great stuff. Then again, in that period I had the shitty service of America Online and would have experienced frequent interrupted service.

by Anonymousreply 5605/26/2013

r50 don't confuse gay guys with effeminites. Same thing with r51. The people you're talking about who are using the term closeted are the gender-confused, not gay guys.

by Anonymousreply 5705/26/2013

I used to think Libertarians might have some good ideas, but then I saw actual Libertarian posts on DL and know they've just got the cray. Now I would never vote for any of that mess.

by Anonymousreply 5805/26/2013

I echo R54.

by Anonymousreply 5905/26/2013

R57 is one of the g0y gays aka closeted gays. You're just a coward in the end.

by Anonymousreply 6005/26/2013

[quote] I use the term husbear at work to describe the marriage partners of the Frauen

You may be using the term husbear incorrectly.

by Anonymousreply 6105/26/2013

It hasn't made any difference at all...but it's one great time killer. It beats reading books, a subscription to House Beautiful, eating a bowl of Durian, being bitten by most common house spiders or watching any episode of Jay Leno. It' some dead guy said...'insanely great.'

by Anonymousreply 6205/26/2013

As one of the other posters stated earlier - first and best breaking news.

Totally biased, totally bitchy and usually dead on breaking news stories either before or right as the "networks" are breaking stories. And I'd trust the DL version a hell of a lot more than the network version.

There are usually peeps in the area that will post to the DL right away.

Speaking of that, does the DL have a Twitter feed?

by Anonymousreply 6305/26/2013

When I meet someone named Cheryl, I immediately hold my nose and expect to smell rank pussy odor!

by Anonymousreply 6405/26/2013

Thanks to datalounge and the mobile view on my iphone there are no longer books in the bathroom.

by Anonymousreply 6505/26/2013

um... no. Why would it?

by Anonymousreply 6605/26/2013

I now frequently present my hole.

The results vary.

by Anonymousreply 6705/26/2013

[quote]if you don't think gay men are worse at competition and drama.

Most people, men or women, are like this at some time.

by Anonymousreply 6805/26/2013

R42 is partially correct, but there are some nice guys here amidst all the stereotypically shallow behavior.

by Anonymousreply 6905/26/2013

R42 is totally wrong and probably a frau.

by Anonymousreply 7005/26/2013

r65 is why you should never handle someone else's iPhone. Biohazard.

by Anonymousreply 7105/26/2013

I get my news here before anywhere else. Some of you are probably getting the AP feeds.

by Anonymousreply 7205/26/2013

Datalounge is like my cyber comfort blanket. I come here (10+ years) to escape and feel less alone and indulge in pointless bitchery and/or gossip. I've met a handful of DL'ers and we all have a similar mentality. Blessed be, bitches!

by Anonymousreply 7305/26/2013

Defense Secretary Cohen's memo of 1997

Queen Helene

NY Social Diary

If its cutting edge, it will be on DL

by Anonymousreply 7405/26/2013

I started reading here when I was 23. I got a great deal of value for many years.

Burned all the naive I had left in me with cold hard truths (about sex, about how we treat each other, about how the world works) and taught me how to be smart. HOWEVER, it taught me that there's a fine line between the gay version of Mama's kitchen table wisdom and just being jaded and nihilistic.

I've met a few people in person. Friended more on Facebook. Positive experiences, beautiful souls.

Made it clear that people in public gay culture pretty much don't care about anything but their own relief and good time, and that meaningful relationships with gay people occur when you make something, as opposed to just party and fuck.

I'm also abundantly clear after visiting this place how deep-seeded mental illness is among gay men and how it is our #1 health issue. It makes me profoundly sad, and it's one of the reasons why I can't come here very often. I know much of the nastiness here is supposed to be funny, but the truest words are said in jest and all that.

The tenor of conversation and the stories have prevented me from moving to NY. Ever. Don't want to be a part of that culture - not a good personality fit for me. I get so much happens there, but I can visit and sample all that, then come right back home (and no, I'm not in flyover).

I also stopped all internet debate after years of commenting and arguing, because this place taught me there are more important things in life than someone saying something wrong on the internet.

This place has also taught me that knowing when to leave may be the smartest things that anyone can learn, an d that good times, good spaces and good energies - like everything else - are not forever.

Lots of knowledge transfer here. My intellect and critical thinking skills are better off for having been here. It's why I still give a little visit once in a bit, even though it's pretty much DNA that's left.

by Anonymousreply 7505/26/2013

OMG, R44, I talked to Todd the other day, first time in several years. I still think he's closeted.

by Anonymousreply 7605/26/2013

R75's name is MARY!

To me, DL is like water, always flows to the lowest places. But hey, life would be boring without pointless bitchery and political incorrectness.

by Anonymousreply 7705/26/2013

R64, I used to work with someone named Cheryl. Her mind was the equivalent of rank pussy odor. I understood that so much better after coming to DL.

by Anonymousreply 7805/26/2013

Heterosexual spouses aren't "husbears" no matter their build.

by Anonymousreply 7905/26/2013

R75 You made some good points. Especially when speaking of "cold hard truths" and critical thinking. No place is perfect, trolls/fraus are everywhere, also on DL.

by Anonymousreply 8005/26/2013

[quote]that if it were not for the circumstances that I am currently in that surrounds me exclusively with other females

you mean prison, right?

by Anonymousreply 8105/26/2013

Are the hardcore Obama hating posts from str8 Freeper infiltrators, or redneck homos?

by Anonymousreply 8205/26/2013

heather go back to your husband.

by Anonymousreply 8305/26/2013

The ability to shake my head in disbelief, has really been honed on this site.

by Anonymousreply 8405/26/2013

Learned about 39dollarglasses here.

by Anonymousreply 8505/26/2013

R84 Right. Especially when I read your posts.

by Anonymousreply 8705/26/2013

[quote]Are the hardcore Obama hating posts from str8 Freeper infiltrators, or redneck homos?

Neither. They are most likely just trolling for a reaction. Or they are the naive uberlefty snotty activist types who are pissed at Obama for not waving his magic wand at Congress to make Republicans disappear and begin utopian rule.

by Anonymousreply 8805/26/2013

Well, I don't visit that often, and I don't have a subscription. So my posts are infrequent in comparison to other people. But hey, you can only read so many QAF, Pron Star, Celebrity Posts before you think we are all doomed as a community. LOL :D

Well, I guess, at least I'm not as stupid as other user who pay to have their opinions posted online. :D

by Anonymousreply 8905/26/2013

First off, I don't know of one man who would use the word "companion"- it makes you sound like a puppy. And guys don't want needy puppies, they want grown ass bitches.

Second, guys don't care if the girl has similar interests or likes in relationship; but only if that girl has a huge pair and can fuck like a banshee. The fucking part supersedes the big pair part, so if you are good at one or have the other, you are set. Learn to be a slut if you have small boobs.

Finally, the fact that you choose to go on GAY blogs to understand the heterosexual man is laughable. Don't conflate having a penis is equal to being interested in vagina. Guys are similar in libdo and sexual desire, but not in the capacity of watching "Sex in the City" and gossiping about Cher. :D Lol.

Clueless, poster.

by Anonymousreply 9005/26/2013

r76, I LOVED reading about Todd! How is he. He must have fucked SOMEBODY?

by Anonymousreply 9105/26/2013

Are there any straight guys here ever?

by Anonymousreply 9205/26/2013

Being on this site has enriched me greatly. First I know all important news stories from first reading them here. I have listened to new and great music, purchased great books, and watched films I have watched for years in a different way based on opinions I have read here.

And I have laugher harder here than other place.

And gay men can be a sad, witty lot. Too caught up in middle school fantasies. Many can't be happy- for the reason R75 stated before- and too many want to take down others on their sinking ship. But we are by and far smarter, more observant, and a tad stronger than most straight people I know. Oh the problems that would cross the rabbi's eyes.

by Anonymousreply 9305/26/2013

I always enjoy the discussions about movies, history and books...I can't find anyone in RL interested in the arts who actually knows anything. I find the discussions on current topics really insightful, as long as differing viewpoints are respected by posters. And DL has influenced me on such topics as, "Refrigerating Bread: Yes or No?"

by Anonymousreply 9405/26/2013

I learned that there is a little arrow next to the fuel pump icon on a car's instrument panel that indicates the side the gas cap is on. Not one of my friends knew that either, although, in our defense, most of us don't own cars. We spent years pulling over to look when we had to fill up the rental on the way back to the airport.

I learned that the bottle opener thingy is called a churchkey.

Finally, aspirin when made into a paste works wonders pulling out a zit.

My life is richer as a result of these things.

by Anonymousreply 9505/26/2013

I learned that slathering any ailing part of my body with 30 weight motor and wrapping tightly in aluminum foil does work!

by Anonymousreply 9605/26/2013

I have learned a lot from Datalounge - the good and the bad.

by Anonymousreply 9705/26/2013

Work for what, R96? To make you look bat shit insane with 100% effectiveness?

by Anonymousreply 9805/26/2013

I learned how much gay men loathe women and LOVE straight men.

by Anonymousreply 9905/26/2013

[quote]. I find the discussions on current topics really insightful, as long as differing viewpoints are respected by posters

Has that ever happened? Any "differing viewpoint" is usually met with "YOU RACIST!!!!"

by Anonymousreply 10005/26/2013

R99 And wish they were straight men. Except when it comes to fucking.

by Anonymousreply 10105/26/2013

by Anonymousreply 10405/26/2013

DL has prevented me from wasting my time on much less interesting and culturally literate websites.

by Anonymousreply 10505/26/2013

Learned lots from the Joni Mitchell and Elvis threads .....

by Anonymousreply 10705/26/2013

I learned what "meta" is, and I owe the last two gut-laughs I've had to's like Dorothy Parker's Roundtable with all the snark and superiority but it's so fucking funny sometimes I sit here all by myself reading posts and laughing out loud alone in the room. I find myself saying "oh, dear" IRL when people day stupid things like "irregardless"...and when someone is wigging out I think "Mary!"...

by Anonymousreply 10805/26/2013

R90, you learned wrong and from a very poor source on the following issue - from gay men.

It is highly absurd and wrong that you think and believe that "guys don't care if the girl has similar interests or likes in relationship; but only if that girl has a huge pair and can fuck like a banshee."

Why in the world would you believe gay men on this issue, R90?

I know that fallacy is voiced on Datalounge but it has no basis in reality.

by Anonymousreply 10905/26/2013

I learned who David Ehrenstein was when I read his self-promoting and hysterical posts.

by Anonymousreply 11005/26/2013

Actually, I think r90 is pretty spot on. Straight men care about having a hot woman, and getting laid. I think it is assumed that the woman they are dating do not have similar interests. I have three straight brothers who are wealthy, well educated, and attractive. They are all married to younger, attractive, horny women with below average intelligence. They are happy for now, but I can imagine that the shit will hit the fan in another ten years or so.

by Anonymousreply 11105/26/2013

[quote]I have three straight brothers who are wealthy, well educated, and attractive. They are all married to younger, attractive, horny women with below average intelligence.

Yes, yes, this describes perfectly the average hetero marriage.

by Anonymousreply 11205/26/2013

Totally forgot about New York Social Diary. Would never have known of Sommers Farkas, Muffie Potter Aston and her male blond all forehead lookalike, Benedict what's his name, without DL.

by Anonymousreply 11305/26/2013

R111, you extrapolating from your brothers to all heterosexuals is highly absurd and ridiculous.

And R111, you are intellectually inferior to not know this and to think your brothers represent anything.

by Anonymousreply 11405/26/2013

R102, R104, there are other group and recognizable characteristics to some gay men other than who they wish to have sex with.

And some gay people are celibate by choice or not by choice and never have sex - or in the closet or having sex with the opposite and are still very recognizable as gay.

by Anonymousreply 11505/26/2013

My musical horizons have expanded tremendously because of our forefathers. I doubt I would have Judy or Margaret Whiting or the cast album to "Follies" on my iPod if not for this place.

And remembering the thread about Star Jones' wedding "The Marriage of Bigaro" will make me giggle until I am taken from this earth.

A thicker skin.

by Anonymousreply 11605/26/2013

[quote]A thicker skin.

by Anonymousreply 11705/26/2013

It's my first stop of the day. As an elder gay, datalounge helps me stay hip.

by Anonymousreply 11805/26/2013

Just the sheer amount of recommendations. Books, music, movies, news sites, sales (the Deep Discount DVD sale announcement threads were always helpful), recipes, hotel recommendations, all of the threads related to travel, money-saving tips, product recommendations, just everything that I wouldn't have known about before, and know about now. Dataloungers have been very helpful.

by Anonymousreply 11905/27/2013

by Anonymousreply 12005/27/2013

We were watching that 3D Texas Chainsaw movie and Keram Malicki Sanchez was in it. No one else felt the total glee.

by Anonymousreply 12206/11/2013

DL's greatest contribution to the world is allowing straight women to talk anonymously to lots of other straight women, and walk away feeling like they have a visceral connection with gay culture. It's all the kicky fun of having a gay best friend without having to deal with all that actual gay nonsense.

Happy Pride, girls!

by Anonymousreply 12306/11/2013

by Anonymousreply 12406/12/2013

by Anonymousreply 12506/13/2013

The Datalounge - because anything less is intellectual suicide.

by Anonymousreply 12606/29/2013

I use only Hellmans mayonnaise .

by Anonymousreply 12706/30/2013

I've become paranoid that everyone is even checking the spelling of every word I speak.

by Anonymousreply 12806/30/2013

Went swimming in a pool today with one of those big foam pool noodles. Made me think of DL.

by Anonymousreply 12907/17/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!