Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

When Clinton Unseated Bush

For those who were already of age in 1992 ... how did it make you feel when Bill Clinton unseated George Bush in that year's presidential election?

(I was 21. My first presidential election. I wasn't used to Democrats beating Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 2105/26/2013

Incredible relief.

by Anonymousreply 105/25/2013

Overjoyed.

by Anonymousreply 205/25/2013

That the long, national nightmare was finally over.

by Anonymousreply 305/25/2013

It was fantastic. Victory was in the air. I went to a rally in Union Square a few days before the election and we chanted, "Three more days! Three more days!" When I went to my polling place in my very liberal Brooklyn neighborhood, the line was around the block. That's when I knew we had won.

by Anonymousreply 405/25/2013

It was the most optimistic time in recent memory.

Then all the Republicans got their bullshit scandals started -- Paula Jones, Whitewater, Lewinsky -- and almost ruined the decade.

The 2008 election didn't really compare in terms of optimism, since we'd been burned by the Republicans before and knew the damage they were capable of.

by Anonymousreply 505/25/2013

R's one, two and three are all correct. It was a big deal.

We'd been under that fool Reagan for eight years, then four under Poppy. We'd only had a quick break with Carter after goddamned fucking Nixon.

by Anonymousreply 605/25/2013

Like finally ushering in the Gay Nineties.

Summer of '90 was great, music-wise. But Summer of '93 was magnificent, politically.

by Anonymousreply 805/25/2013

R7 -Perot took from both Clinton and Bush. Perot was one big whackadoodle too. He quit in the middle, and then came back in.

by Anonymousreply 905/25/2013

I remember I was temping that year and one of my EXTREME Republican employers said he hoped Perot would stay in the race to take votes away from Clinton.

by Anonymousreply 1005/25/2013

It was pure JOY that that fucking Regan era was finally OVER!

Bush the first was a waste of time for this country.

The Republicans forget what an UGLY assed first lady Mama Bush made when they talk about MIchelle not being attractive.

by Anonymousreply 1105/25/2013

I lived in SF at the time and there's was dancing in the streets. I went to a big victory party and had a great time.

by Anonymousreply 1205/25/2013

We believed things were looking up. They were for gay people, but the country drifted further down the wrong path. Then came the Darkness we still labor under today. In 2008 we thought our long national nightmare was over, but it has had remarkable staying power.

by Anonymousreply 1305/25/2013

Perot clearly took votes away from both major party candidates but Republicans like R7 like to think all of Perot's votes would've gone to Bush 41. They also didn't seem to mind when Bush 43 failed to win the popular vote, etc. Never any question about a Republican president's legitimacy.

I voted for Perot having previously voted for Dukakis. I've never actually voted for a winning candidate and haven't voted in a presidential election since 2004. But I was pleased with Clinton's win; however it was short lived. He threw gay people under the bus pretty quickly when he folded on gays in the military. I'm sure it was longer but in my memory it was about 3 weeks after he was inaugurated so any excitement I felt about his win and doing something for gay people was pretty short lived. I couldn't vote for his re-election (but it's not like he had serious competition with Dole, it was so obvious who would win). I still admire Clinton. Not as much as I do Jimmy Carter but I do admire him, even though he fucked up with DADT, DOMA and Glass-Steagall.

by Anonymousreply 1405/25/2013

Remember how the Clintons trashed the White House and removed all the W's from the government typewriters? Stay klassy Clinton.

by Anonymousreply 1505/25/2013

[quote] It was the most optimistic time in recent memory.

Really? Even more than when Obama was elected in 2008 and people were dancing in the streets?

by Anonymousreply 1605/25/2013

Remember how that story was complete BS, r15, but the "liberal" media never bothered correcting themselves?

by Anonymousreply 1705/25/2013

It's interesting that since that election no third party candidate has ever had such a huge impact on a race. I wonder if the cost of US elections have risen so sharply to prevent that from ever happening again.

by Anonymousreply 1805/25/2013

"Remember how the Clintons trashed the White House and removed all the W's from the government typewriters? Stay klassy Clinton."

That allegedly happened after Bush 2 stole, oops I mean "won", the 2000 election r15.

Focus on the OP's request to describe the glorious moment "When Clinton Unseated Bush."

by Anonymousreply 1905/25/2013

[bold]Election '92 Recap[/bold]

[italic]Video . . .[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 2005/26/2013

It was satisfying to see how glum the Bush and Quayle families looked as they conceded defeat.

by Anonymousreply 2105/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.