Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Carole Lombard: The Duse of Daffy Comedy, The Screwball Queen...

People remember her for dying young and being married to Clark Gable, but she was a wonderful performer.

She really stomps all over any other comedic performers today. Far more beautiful and talented.

by Anonymousreply 7701/11/2015

I agree. No one today matches her comedic talent. "My man Godfrey" is one of my favorite comedies. She is pitch perfect in it.

by Anonymousreply 105/25/2013

Eleanora Duse? The Italian tragic actress? I don't see the comparison, OP.

by Anonymousreply 205/25/2013

I also agree, OP. She's my favorite comic actress from the thirties. Also a mentor/major influence of Lucille Ball, and many others including Sharon Tate.

by Anonymousreply 305/25/2013

Oh, yes, OP. Of course you're right. And her discovery of penicillin saved so many lives.

by Anonymousreply 405/25/2013

Carole was gorgeous. Her Hollywood home is down the street from me on Hollywood Blvd. Of course she lived there practically a half century before me. I love old Hollywood glamour.

by Anonymousreply 505/25/2013

I like the Hitchcock comedy Mr & Mrs Smith with Lombard and George Montgomery.

by Anonymousreply 605/25/2013

I became a Lombard fan, not from her comedies, but the 1st movie I ever saw her in , called " Vigil In The Night",from 1940 . I had always heard she was a great comic actress, but what surprised me was how beautiful she was ( even wearing a nurses uniform for most of the film ), and what a good dramatic actress she was . Really good . Course, George Stevens was the director - one of the best . Carole could do it all.

by Anonymousreply 705/25/2013

Really enjoy her in "To Be Or Not To Be". And a young Robert Stack too.

by Anonymousreply 805/25/2013

CL said that Clark Cable was the lousiest lay she'd ever had!

by Anonymousreply 905/25/2013

Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn!

by Anonymousreply 1005/25/2013

"CL said that Clark Cable was the lousiest lay she'd ever had!'

Actually what she was reported to have said was "I love Pa, but I can't say he's a helluva good lay." Gable was so used to women flinging themselves at him that he didn't really put a lot of effort into pleasuring them. It didn't matter; women was just thrilled to have sex with "the King." They were generally safisfied just to have have sex with him, never mind that he didn't make a big effort to be a great lover.

by Anonymousreply 1105/25/2013

Didn't CG have foreskin issues?

by Anonymousreply 1205/25/2013

Gable had false teeth, and his breath was putrid , according to Vivian Leigh. She hated their kissing scenes in "GWTW". Between that , and being a 'lousy lay', the King doesn't sound so great.

by Anonymousreply 1305/25/2013

If Carole Lombard had lived, what roles might she have essayed?

Margo in All About Eve?

by Anonymousreply 1405/25/2013

r14, Carole Lombard couldn't have starred in All About Eve Arden let alone take on the drama that was Davis.

by Anonymousreply 1505/25/2013

Is Mr and Mrs Smith really any good? It's one Hitchcock film that never seems to get any attention.

by Anonymousreply 1605/25/2013

In a CG biography a female friend of the couple said that she was puzzled by the foul mouth on Carole. The filthiest things would be said by her all the time.

A male friend said essentially the same thing. He was astounded that someone so lovely and feminine as Carole would curse so much. He said that CG was tickled by it, but most of their friends thought it was so strange that she couldn't express herself without being crude and vulgar.

Carole told about going duck hunting with CG and they got to the duck blind very early. While waiting for the ducks to show up they fucked a few times to pass the time.

by Anonymousreply 1705/25/2013

Ethel Merman was similarly foul mouthed.

by Anonymousreply 1805/25/2013

I've never been very impressed with her as a comedic actress, but then I've never been huge on 1930s screwball comedies (those without Cary Grant).

Still, she sounded like an absolutely fabulous gal in real life.

by Anonymousreply 1905/25/2013

She was pretty good in drama as well. Check out In Name Only with Cary Grant and Kay Francis. Lombard is very sympathetic as the other woman who falls in love with Grant, who is married to the shrewish and manipulative Francis.

by Anonymousreply 2005/25/2013

DL today...freepers, fraus and 100 year old gay geezers.

by Anonymousreply 2105/25/2013

R16, I'm a sucker for the daffy, sweet, light, romantic comedies of this era. There is a scene at a nightclub that had me rolling on the floor peeing my pants with laughter. Probably not Hitch's best genre, but worth seeing George Montgomery* being very funny.

*Elizabeth Montgomery's** father

**Samantha Stevens on Bewitched

by Anonymousreply 2205/25/2013

[quote]DL today...freepers, fraus and 100 year old gay geezers.

And extremely tiresome whiners who can't stand not being the center of attention. Don't forget them!

by Anonymousreply 2305/25/2013

I wonder how she would have weathered the 40s. She could have been a great Auntie Mame.

I haven't seen all of MR. & MRS. SMITH, but the thing that stuck with me is a scene after Lombard was caught outside in the rain. Unlike any other movie of the day, when her hair dried it did so naturally. It was startling to see a 40s hairstyle sans setting.

by Anonymousreply 2405/25/2013

I think I'll do a little tour and see if R21 has posted anything interesting - ever.

by Anonymousreply 2505/25/2013

George Montgomery was a sexy Western star at Fox in the 1940s and 50s and married to Dinah Shore.

Robert Montgomery was an urbane leading man at Metro in the 1930s and 40s and the father of Elizabeth Montgomery.

Take your pick.

by Anonymousreply 2605/25/2013

Yes! "In Name Only" is a marvelous film and my favorite.

Her screwball comedies are Ok but she was stellar in drama.

by Anonymousreply 2705/25/2013

Presumably, the divide between them was the Montgomery cleft.

by Anonymousreply 2805/25/2013

Regarding a scan of R21's DL participation, she's an "America for Real Americans" twat on the Portland school sandwich thread:

[quote]I'm moving to France so I expect all their government forms to be in English or I will sue!

And that's the only post I could find.

And she has not started any of the most recent 600 threads. So she's not even a paying participant, or she's so stupid and consumerist that she has no interests of her own to start gabbing about.

So FUCK YOU, you insipid, mean-spirited, useless little cunt at R21. There's no use for you here at all, and that's likely a reflection of your miserable little whiny, passive, dull life in general.

by Anonymousreply 2905/25/2013

Robert Montgomery. Yeah. My bad. I'll go away now.

by Anonymousreply 3005/25/2013

Get her!

Anyway, why can't they put out a decent print of My Man Godfrey?

All the ones I've seen are dusty and fuzzy.

by Anonymousreply 3105/25/2013

I adored her. I did my first college term paper on her and got an A+. I used to go to the Theater 80 and sit there for hours watching whenever they had Lombard films which they did A LOT in the 70s.

by Anonymousreply 3205/25/2013

"Gable had false teeth, and his breath was putrid , according to Vivian Leigh. She hated their kissing scenes in "GWTW". Between that , and being a 'lousy lay', the King doesn't sound so great."

His breath must not have been THAT bad and he must not have been THAT bad a lover, because women adored Gable. More than one actress was said to remark "I think every woman ever met fell in love with him." Marilyn Monroe said she "got goose bumps all over" when he accidentally touched her breast during a love scene in "The Misfits." Joan Blondell put Gable's appeal this way: "he affected all females, unless they were dead."

by Anonymousreply 3305/26/2013

If Vivien Leigh's ideal beau was Laurence Olivier, one can only imagine what she thought of the likes of Clark Gable.

by Anonymousreply 3405/26/2013

How old was Lombard when she died?

by Anonymousreply 3505/26/2013

"How old was Lombard when she died?'

She was just 33 years old. Gable was a broken man after her death. They were perfect for each other; she was the great love of his life. He married twice after her death, but he would never get over "Ma." At his death he was interred beside Lombard in Forest Lawn.

by Anonymousreply 3605/26/2013

LOVE her. Her comedic sense is unsurpassed. And talk about beautiful. I adored her as a child. So young to die.

by Anonymousreply 3705/26/2013

If you can find the book " Screwball" ( the life of Carole Lombard) it's a good read.

by Anonymousreply 3805/26/2013

She was the lead in Airport '42. An immortal performance.

by Anonymousreply 3905/27/2013

Gable was known as the "King of Hollywood" Lombard was quoted as saying "If the "king" had one inch less he'd be the queen of hollywood"

by Anonymousreply 4005/27/2013

I have never understood why she does not have a bigger following among film fans. Just a great actress, and yes, she was golden in dramatic roles. I read that Gable nearly went crazy with grief after her death. When you watch her onscreen there is someone so warm, so genuine, just so real.

By the way--she defended paying a lot of money in taxes since she felt it was her obligation as an American to help those less fortunate (which is what her taxpayer dollars could do).

by Anonymousreply 4105/27/2013

Carole Lombard, gorgeous in mink:

by Anonymousreply 4205/27/2013

She was a friend and huge influence to Lucy. Lots of ILL lines have a very Lombardesque delivery. But Lombard really was Park Avenue and Lucy couldn't replicate that, though she tried.

by Anonymousreply 4305/27/2013

Was she married to Wiliam Powell before Gable?

by Anonymousreply 4405/27/2013

I understand that she was a member of the Baha'i religion - was that considered controversial at the time?

by Anonymousreply 4505/27/2013

She was married to William Powell for a year or two in the early 30s. It didn't work out, obviously, but it was not a bitter split as they went on to co star in My Man Godfrey in 1937.

Supposedly Lombard was in a rush to get back to Hollywood when she died in the plane crash. Gable was making a movie with Lana Turner and Lombard did not trust those two being alone together.

by Anonymousreply 4605/27/2013

"My Man Godfrey" is about my favorite movie; it's certainly my favorite screwball comedy. William Powell is perfect in it. I think "His Girl Friday" is rated higher, or maybe "Bringing Up Baby", but I think MMG is the best.

by Anonymousreply 4705/27/2013

Bring back scavenger hunts!

by Anonymousreply 4805/27/2013

All Time Best Screwball Comedies:

It Happened One Night

The Thin Man

My Man Godfrey

Bringing Up Baby

His Girl Friday

My Favorite Wife

20th Century

The More the Merrier

The Awful Truth

What did I forget?

by Anonymousreply 4905/27/2013

Nothing Sacred

by Anonymousreply 5005/27/2013

Is The Women considered a screwball comedy?

by Anonymousreply 5105/27/2013

I disagree with everyone that Lombard was beautiful, but she did have a pretty face while also looking smart, always fun to watch.

R24, I agree that she would have been a great Auntie Mame.

No, R51. Wonderful movie, but nothing screwball about it.

R49, I'd include in your almost perfect list "The Palm Beach Story" (1942), starring Claudette Colbert, Joel McCrea, Mary Astor, & Rudy Vallee -- Preston Sturges' work defies classification, but this one does qualify as screwball.

by Anonymousreply 5205/27/2013

"Gable was known as the "King of Hollywood" Lombard was quoted as saying "If the "king" had one inch less he'd be the queen of hollywood"

Lombard never said that. You've been reading too much Darwin Porter.

by Anonymousreply 5305/27/2013

Her hair looked thin or babyfine in her movies.

by Anonymousreply 5405/27/2013

R54 It was. She also had a scar on one cheek that is usually hidden in some way.

by Anonymousreply 5505/27/2013

Lombard's next film was to have been "They All Kissed the Bride" for which Joan Crawford was loaned out to Columbia to do. It's still pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 5605/28/2013

According to a CG biography, Joan Crawford volunteered to do that movie after Carole was killed. She donated her entire salary to the war effort and fired her manager when he insisted on getting his 10% commission from the salary she would have been paid.

As much as he adored Carole, Clark still couldn't keep it in his pants for long. The story is that after she died, Clark fell out with her brothers even though they had been very close when Carole was still alive. The brothers were made aware of an ongoing fight between Carole and Clark over some lingering affair he was involved in. She was anxious to get home mainly because she didn't trust Clark. Don't forget the brothers also lost their Mother in that plane crash.

by Anonymousreply 5705/28/2013

More Carole here

by Anonymousreply 5805/28/2013

R44, R46, Incidentally, William Powell was engaged to that other beloved, wisecracking blonde (and frequent Clark Gable co-star), Jean Harlow, when she died prematurely in 1937. There are pictures on the internet of Gable and Lombard attending Harlow's funeral. What's chilling about them is that in just five short years, Lombard, too, would be gone, and her remains interred in the same mausoleum.

by Anonymousreply 5905/28/2013

Check CL out in Virtue. In one scene, she discovers that her friend two-timed her. CL walks into the woman's room and slaps her several times hissing: "Where's my money?" It's chilling. Her look is timeless. She can be from the 30s or yesterday.

by Anonymousreply 6005/28/2013

I forgot where i read this but before meeting Gable she was a great friend of George Cukor and would hang out with the gay set of Hollywood a lot. After Gable, she didn't see nearly as much of her gay friends because Clark disapproved.

by Anonymousreply 6105/28/2013

Love her.

by Anonymousreply 6205/28/2013

Fascinating to me how Lombard and Harlow, two blonde comedic contemporarisex symbols who each might have starred in the other's films and shared several leading men, on film and off, were so diametrically different.

by Anonymousreply 6305/28/2013

Ginger Rogers and Carole Lombard at the races

by Anonymousreply 6405/29/2013

Leslie Howard, Carole Lombard and Gary Cooper with a four-legged friend

by Anonymousreply 6505/29/2013

Any bisexual rumors? She pings in a way...

by Anonymousreply 6610/12/2013

There is a New book coming out " Fireball: Carole Lombard and The Mystery of Flight 3" Nothing on Amazon yet.

by Anonymousreply 6710/12/2013

Of course, she pinged darling. Nonetheless, she turned me down when i tried to seduce her.

by Anonymousreply 6808/17/2014

Dietrich was becoming more and more blunt in pursuing actresses she found attractive; among them were Paramount’s Carole Lombard and Frances Dee, whose unregenerate heterosexuality did not dissuade Dietrich from her usual stratagems of flower deliveries and romantic blandishments. Lombard, a beautiful, brash blonde, was unamused: “If you want something,” she told Dietrich after finding one too many sweet notes and posies in her dressing room at Paramount, “you come on down when I’m there. I’m not going to chase you.”

I wonder what could have happened if Marlene did that. Do you think that Carole would let Marlene kiss her mouth?

by Anonymousreply 6901/11/2015

"She was just 33 years old. Gable was a broken man after her death. They were perfect for each other; she was the great love of his life. He married twice after her death, but he would never get over "Ma." At his death he was interred beside Lombard in Forest Lawn."

And Gable's final wife, Kay, is also buried right near them, as is Lombard's mother who was also on the plane with her.

by Anonymousreply 7001/11/2015

Didn't Mister Gable have tiny meat?

BTW, his grandson hosts CHEATERS.

by Anonymousreply 7101/11/2015

You are mistaken if you think that the Gable-Lombard marriage would have last forever. Doesn't say anything to you that Gable did marry five times?

Lombard died soon, that's why the press idealized their marriage. I know better than that!

by Anonymousreply 7201/11/2015

Damn. My mistake.

by Anonymousreply 7301/11/2015

The reason Lombard decided at the last minute to fly home rather than take the train was due to the fact that she and Gable had been arguing before she left for the bond tour in Indiana. Lombard was well aware of the rumors that Gable was fooling around with Lana Turner while making "Honky Tonk" together.

If she had lived, I believe Lombard would have eventually gone into television, as many from her era did.

by Anonymousreply 7401/11/2015

I always tried to steer Gable clear of the bedroom.

by Anonymousreply 7501/11/2015

If you want to see what else Miss. Lombard was capable of acting wise check out her 1933 film Virtue. In it she plays a NYC street hooker who tries to go good.

Saw it on television several weeks ago and was amazed at the difference between what CL is usually known for (screwball comedy).

by Anonymousreply 7601/11/2015

I really can't think of a slyer, more accomplished comic performance than Carole Lombard's in "To Be or Not to Be'.

Judy Holliday in "Born Yesterday" comes close, but is so rehearsed and mannered- I guess it needed to be, but Lombard 's is pure magic.

by Anonymousreply 7701/11/2015
Need more help? Click Here.