Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Mulligans written by and starring Dante's Cove Charlie David

One of the worst gay movies of all time considering it was not a small minute-budget flick. Embarassing really. Where do they find financial backers for such crap. Did those people thought they were creating something relevant. Pretentious, badly written, badly acted with no direction whatsoever. Not even campy or sexy.

by Anonymousreply 3005/24/2013

"Mulligans" is a bad film but by no means the worst ever. I've seen plenty of gay-themed films of varying budgets and there is a lot of crap out there. The problem with this genre is that first-draft scripts are being produced. Most of these movies have a decent premise but the scripts need a lot of polish.

by Anonymousreply 105/23/2013

I know there are 'worst' films out there but often those low-budget films have little resources and/or are made by young filmakers with little experience. Photography, lightning, acting and sound is usually bad. But in the case of Mulligans it could have been a good movie. Choices made by 'pros' were all-around awful on every aspects. It was a good example that when there is 0 talent shit like it are presented as meaningful cinema. That's why it's the worst.

by Anonymousreply 205/23/2013

Charlie David is a good looking guy and seems like a nice guy in interviews...he just isn't that great or magnetic of an actor. Not that he was the only problem with the movie, but it has to be said.

by Anonymousreply 305/23/2013

Charlie David is fun as a host of BUMP the gay travel show. As an actor he has zero range.

by Anonymousreply 405/23/2013

Why is it bad? Just because the the friend sleeps with his friend's father?

I saw it a few years ago and though it was OK.

by Anonymousreply 505/23/2013

Charlie David is not believable as a "passing" closet case in the movie.

As if they were all shocked that he's gay when he swans into the room with Joan Crawford eyebrows and vocal fry.

by Anonymousreply 605/23/2013

Charlie David just really stank up the screen. He's a bad actor and while cute, way too nellie for that role.

by Anonymousreply 705/23/2013

Yeah, I think Charlie David was my main problem with this movie. Looking at my Netflix rating, I gave it three stars, so I guess it wasn't as bad as I thought. Fairly forgettable, I suppose.

by Anonymousreply 805/23/2013

It's pretty bad. Charlie David is a lousy actor and isn't very cute. It also has the blond half of the lesbian couple from Queer as Folk--two of the most annoying characters on TV, ever. The actor playing the friend is cute though, and Dan Payne as the dad?? HOT. I will still watch some of it on TV for him. Doesn't look like he's done much of note, even though his imdb credits are extensive...I think the productions are, uh, "Canadian"...

by Anonymousreply 905/23/2013

Well, at least Matthew Montgomery isn't in it. Any movie with him is predestined to be trash.

by Anonymousreply 1005/23/2013

I saw it a few years ago, and I remember there were tons of shots of people getting in and out of cars.

by Anonymousreply 1105/23/2013

Anything where Dan Payne takes his shirt off is automatically sexy, sorry OP.

by Anonymousreply 1205/24/2013

At least Jon Fleming wasn't in it to stink up the screen.

by Anonymousreply 1305/24/2013

It was a good movie. OP is just a jealous bitch.

by Anonymousreply 1405/24/2013

[R12]. Check out Divine: The Series on YouTube. It sucks, but he is naked the whole time.

by Anonymousreply 1505/24/2013

Don't be hatin' on Matthew Montgomery. You're the trash.

by Anonymousreply 1605/24/2013

Mulligans has better cinematography than the vast majority of gay themed features that look like they are shot with someone's home video camera.

by Anonymousreply 1705/24/2013

It was pretty average as gay movies go. I liked the father character but he had very little chemistry with Charlie David, who was miscast I thought. There were some idiotic plot points, like when they kissed in the middle of a public golf course.

by Anonymousreply 1805/24/2013

I haven't watched Mulligans nor plan to. Gay audiences seem to want everyday personal films. We are not seeing murder dramas, action or sci-fi gay movies. Those types of films cost money and the audience for gay films is small. Still, you don't see any attempt at making those types of films.

by Anonymousreply 1905/24/2013

The dad was super hot but looked waaaay too young.

by Anonymousreply 2005/24/2013

Dan Payne gives DILF a new meaning.

by Anonymousreply 2105/24/2013

Charlie David looked way too old. I couldn't take him seriously as a traditional college student.

by Anonymousreply 2205/24/2013

AMEN, R22!!

by Anonymousreply 2305/24/2013

As others have posted, David is not much of an actor and he was too old for the part. I tried to watch this film but the acting in general was so poor that I gave up after 20 minutes. It was obvious where the narrative would lead.

I've seen Thea Gill in other non-QAF projects and she was good in those, but she was awful here - she clearly needs a good director.

The problem with many gay films isn't budget - there are a lot of low-budget indie films that are very good. But so many of the people doing gay films keep pushing out the same tired closet-case melodramas or lame attempts at raunchy comedies. These people may have good intentions but the talent isn't there.

I also suspect that the really talented gay writers and directors shy away from doing anything more than the occasional gay-themed film out of fear of being pigeon-holed by "the industry" and have a hard time moving up the food chain.

by Anonymousreply 2405/24/2013

I started watching it years ago on Logo probably. I stopped after ~30 mins. I felt too embarrassed for everyone involved.

by Anonymousreply 2505/24/2013

Dan Payne shirtless hotness

by Anonymousreply 2605/24/2013

Let's try it again. . .

by Anonymousreply 2705/24/2013

here. . .

by Anonymousreply 2805/24/2013

Try though you might, R26-28,

[quote]Your search - dan payne shirtless - did not match any image results.

by Anonymousreply 2905/24/2013

The character of Birdie, the daughter, was one of the most annoying child performances I've ever seen. The pretentiousness...ugh.

by Anonymousreply 3005/24/2013
Need more help? Click Here.