Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Have You Ever Had Stiches?

Don't they mainly use surgical glue these days?

In my own case I'm nearly 60 and cut the fuck out of my foot on a broken 7-Up bottle when I was seven.

Eight stitches – all I've ever had in life .. so far.

by Anonymousreply 2905/24/2013

I'm a tad older . . . and in February of 2012 I fell on slippery ice breaking my right radius in five places . . . .they had to cut me open from the wrist practically to the elbow to do the repair with metal plates and screws . . . . and with that I had about twenty very ugly stitches when I woke up . . . . It's now over a year later and all is healed and the stitching, while stil visible, isn't really ugly or Frankenstein like . . . . a minor inconvenience willingly undertaken to get full use of my right hand, wrist and arm back.

by Anonymousreply 105/23/2013

Are you kidding me? I'd look like spoiled Gefilte fish and kugel if they ever removed the internal surgical stitches holding me together.

by Anonymousreply 205/23/2013

When I was a kid I was doing a wood carving on a flat piece of Pine. I was holding the wood still with my left arm. I slipped and stabbed my wrist. Was taken to the emergency room and the Doctor took off the wrap and actually said "Ewww". Something every scared stabbed kid wants to hear. All of a sudden the Police are there and start interviewing me, turns out any wrist slice they have to be called. Had ten stitches and a permanent scar.

by Anonymousreply 305/23/2013

OP again --

I should add that my foot was bleeding arterially -- with each beat of my heart. Ugh!

I must have severed a good-sized vein, but what really sent me swooning was when the woman next door, who came out to see why I was crying, took the rag off that she had compressed the gash with and I saw something white inside the gash.

It was either bone or tendon or joint and I nearly puked I was so skeeved out and in such pain.

I have never forgotten that image of something white inside my foot now some 50+ years later.

Today I can feel the scar tissue inside my foot and if I look very closely I can still see the stitch scars on the sole my left foot.

by Anonymousreply 405/23/2013

I had staples when I had my appendectomy.

by Anonymousreply 505/23/2013

I am 32, and had stitches when I was 8. I was in the middle of nowhere, visiting my grandparents farm. They had a hunting dog, that ripped my arm to shreds. I still have scars. It was an hour drive to the nearest hospital, and my mom kept holding pressure on my arm because I was gushing blood everywhere. I remember feeling dizzy, and her telling me not to fall asleep on the way to the hospital. I don't know how people live in rural areas.

by Anonymousreply 605/23/2013

As a kid I broke my ankle in two places and they had to put in a steel plate and several screws. I had two incisions and the self-dissolving stitches. I still have the scars, one of which is hideous and huge thanks to an infection.

by Anonymousreply 705/23/2013

I've had a couple of stitches (cut by windshield glass that was flying..I covered my face with my arms) but when I recently had my gall bladder removed, those small incisions were glued shut.

by Anonymousreply 805/23/2013

both eyes in my early 20's :(

by Anonymousreply 905/24/2013

What do you mean, r9?

by Anonymousreply 1005/24/2013

Me too, r9. It wasn't pleasant :(

by Anonymousreply 1105/24/2013

This past February I cut the dickens out of the tip of my thumb. I drove myself to the ER and had 5 stitches put in. 7 years ago I had my appendix out. Stitches there too though I can't even see the scars anymore as they did the surgery laparoscopically.

by Anonymousreply 1205/24/2013

When I was in my early 20's, I worked at an Italian restaurant and was slicing bread in the kitchen. They had just had the knives sharpened that day and when I was slicing the bread, the knife cut through the bread to my hand. I had 8 stitches. 30 years later, I still have the scar.

by Anonymousreply 1305/24/2013

It's called vaginal rejuvenation, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1405/24/2013

A number of years ago we had a thread on clumsiness. I won by a mile. Yes, I've had stitches many, many times.

I still wonder what happened to the top of my finger.

by Anonymousreply 1505/24/2013

Only had stitches after wisdom teeth were removed surgically.

by Anonymousreply 1605/24/2013

Do stitches give you scars?

by Anonymousreply 1705/24/2013

Cardiac surgery is the worst. Leaves you looking like Frankenstein's monster.

by Anonymousreply 1805/24/2013

I, once, glued my friend's eyebrow back on. We broke into an outdoor pool in lower Manhattan in the middle of the night, drunk out of our minds, with a crew of people we were partying with and my buddy dove into the shallow end and cracked his face open. Then, there were sirens and we had to climb back over the stone fence and he didn't want to go the emergency room so I super glued his eyebrow back on. There's a scar, but you wouldn't be able to tell how bad it really was.

by Anonymousreply 1905/24/2013

Stitches? I've practically had needlepoint.

by Anonymousreply 2005/24/2013

Had a testicle removed from torsion. Self-disolving stiches...I think they lasted a couple weeks? This was over 10 years ago.

The experience was less than pleasant.

by Anonymousreply 2105/24/2013

Are you a jogger, r21?

Have known two guys with torsion over the years and both were joggers.

by Anonymousreply 2205/24/2013

Eh, I run much more now than I ever did back then. I can't remember any particular event that triggered it. I was in my early 20s when it happened.

Through from my early teens on (probably around when I hit puberty) I would get a similar, torsion like sensation, but I wouldn't say anything (I didn't know what was going on and was probably too embarrassed/scared) and it would usually go away within a day. Then one time it didn't...

Anywho, the incision was right along the middle of my scrotum so there's no scar at all.

Look at me, talking about stiches on my's like Thanksgiving with the family all over again!

by Anonymousreply 2305/24/2013

When I was 10 my brother and I were building a cage for the guinea pig. The drill slipped and it went through the base of my thumb. that was 24 stitches, I think, that had to be cut out. This was the mid 80s.

A few years later, my dad was in a car wreck and cut his head. One morning before school as I was finishing my corn flakes, he walks up to me with a pair of scissors and says, "Cut these stitches out of my head." Fortunately, he was bald but still, ew. Very, very ew. Cheap, impatient bastard.

by Anonymousreply 2405/24/2013

Oh you betcha, r17.

They can though not always. Depends on several factors.

Have a look!

by Anonymousreply 2505/24/2013

EeeK! Stay away!

by Anonymousreply 2605/24/2013

I've had Elaine Stritches!

by Anonymousreply 2705/24/2013

Never had one. 52.

by Anonymousreply 2805/24/2013

A pencil injury in grammar school earned me four stitches. I played with the knots as they healed. 30+ years passed and the scar and stitches are visible.

by Anonymousreply 2905/24/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!