Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Microsoft Turns Siri Against Apple in New Ad

The Microsoft-Apple rivalry is heating up again.

In a new 30-second ad for Windows 8, Microsoft manages to skewer the iPad, Siri and Apple's promotional strategy.

The ad shows the iPad and a Windows 8 tablet side-by-side with Siri repeatedly apologizing for not being able to do what Microsoft's tablet can. "I'm sorry, I can only do one thing at a time," Siri says, before adding, "I guess PowerPoint isn't one of those things. Should we just play 'Chopsticks?'" Sure enough, the person in the video starts playing a flawed version of the song "Chopsticks," poking fun at Apple's iPad Mini commercials which focused on users playing piano.

While Samsung frequently attacks Apple in ads, it has been awhile since we've seen Microsoft go this route — with the exception of a commercial in April that painted both Apple and Samsung fans as buffoons. Perhaps Microsoft drew some inspiration for the latest ad from a parody ad from last year.

The YouTube video includes a link to a page on Microsoft's website, which compares some of the specs between the iPad and Windows 8 tablet.

by Anonymousreply 5808/21/2013

Did apple really have to [italic]almost[/italic] name their female voice host -- or whatever you call Siri -- after the daughter of America's douchiest Scientologist?

by Anonymousreply 105/23/2013

This is a good ad by Microsoft, unlike most of their stuff, but really I have never wanted to do PowerPoint on my iPad!!

by Anonymousreply 205/23/2013

Excellent ad that makes the points.

by Anonymousreply 305/23/2013

Apple bought Siri

They kept the existing name.

by Anonymousreply 405/23/2013

I have used Macs starting with the Mac Plus back in 1985, and currently I have a MacBook Pro, a 27" iMac, an iPhone, an iPad, and a couple of iPods. I also have a few PCs, and have had a few different droids. So, while I am heavily Apple-biased, I also use PCs (I'm in IT, so there's no way of getting around that in my company's server environment).

Having stated all of the above, my hat is off to Microsoft for this ad. It really was snarky-done-well. I wonder what ad agency they hired for this?

by Anonymousreply 505/23/2013

Though the second ad, in the linked page, highlighted great features in their tablet.

by Anonymousreply 605/23/2013

This ad, unlike most Microsoft ads, does not suck.

I wonder if we'll actually see it on TV.

by Anonymousreply 705/23/2013

Countdown to Apple Fan-boy Butt-hurt in 3... 2... 1...

by Anonymousreply 805/24/2013

R7. I have seen the ad on tv several times.

by Anonymousreply 905/24/2013

The best part of the Microsoft Surface introductory commercial --

Those dancing hip-hop Catholic school girls!!

Here's a look behind-the-scenes:

by Anonymousreply 1005/24/2013

I believe these children are afflicted with St. Vitus' dance.

by Anonymousreply 1105/24/2013

There are new iPad commercials without any dancing at all...

by Anonymousreply 1205/24/2013

Windows $#@$(&^%%%## 8 is history...shortly.

by Anonymousreply 1305/24/2013

To be replaced by Windows 8.1 this fall :-P

by Anonymousreply 1405/24/2013

Haha, I loved it.

by Anonymousreply 1505/24/2013

I'm sorry to see Microsoft drop the "Surface is a Percussion Instrument" ads. It was refreshing to see MS advertise a product based on its actual qualities, other than what a marketing person who had never used a computer imagined it to be.

I say that as one of the dozens of people who is sad that I can't use PowerPoint on my iPad.

It's particularly bad because I hadn't realized they still made PowerPoint.

by Anonymousreply 1605/24/2013

You can use iWorks Keynote however, r16.

It opens PowerPoint and you can save to PowerPoint.

Not a problem.

by Anonymousreply 1705/24/2013

But, r17, can it do cool drum rolls when you tap it on a table?

by Anonymousreply 1805/24/2013

Is that little girl at the very end of my link at r10 shooting a beav?

if so, eeeww.

by Anonymousreply 1905/25/2013

I finally started seeing this on TV... it's a great ad, imho.

by Anonymousreply 2006/03/2013

Check out this version of the Microsoft Surface spot, especially the end.

by Anonymousreply 2106/03/2013

I love Microsoft's new commercials. "We value your privacy" or something. Whatever could they mean...

by Anonymousreply 2206/03/2013

^^ Ha!

A great Google slam, aka The Great Satan, Inc.

by Anonymousreply 2306/04/2013

The latest ad:

by Anonymousreply 2406/13/2013

And this is their new ad against Siri/iPad:

by Anonymousreply 2506/13/2013

And here's a version of the same commercial in R25 that references Office:

by Anonymousreply 2606/14/2013

Huh. MS ads that don't suck. Who knew?

by Anonymousreply 2706/14/2013

Mojave, Mojave, Mojave

by Anonymousreply 2806/14/2013

R28 = bitter loser

by Anonymousreply 2906/15/2013

I can't believe Tom Cruise would allow his daughter to pitch a product. This must be a bogus thread.

by Anonymousreply 3006/15/2013

Oh, who could forget this disaster:

by Anonymousreply 3106/15/2013

The latest ad... rips the iPad a new one:

by Anonymousreply 3207/18/2013

And another new ad, slamming the iPad:

by Anonymousreply 3307/19/2013

I'm surprised Suri hasn't sued already.

by Anonymousreply 3407/19/2013

You can't sue if it's true.

by Anonymousreply 3507/19/2013

and then there is this:

Microsoft Is Sitting On Six Million Unsold Surface Tablets

by Anonymousreply 3607/19/2013

R36, that's just the RT version (which can't install new desktop apps), which was arguably over-priced on release.

I have one of them, and it's thin and light and has full Office, and works well for what it is. I use it nearly every day, mostly as a Kindle, but also for games, Netflix, browsing, etc.

Now that they've cut the price down to where it should have been all along, and with Windows 8.1 coming out, and stronger "included" apps, they should be able to move more of them.

BTW, that "six million" figure is an uneducated guess, and isn't even remotely accurate from any of the other figures I can see.

by Anonymousreply 3707/19/2013

The latest ad pits the Surface against the iPad... another decent ad:

by Anonymousreply 3808/07/2013

Since the NSA, businesses are advised to dump the Windows OS - too many backdoor dirt roads.

by Anonymousreply 3908/07/2013

R39 is an idiot.

You're more secure/safe with Microsoft and Windows than you are with anything by Google, who has been data-mining your stuff like crazy since the beginning. Never mind Facebook. Or Twitter.

If you're on facebook, and/or twitter, and/or use Google products (like GMail, Google Drive, Google search, etc), then you're a complete hypocrite if you're complaining about Microsoft.

And Apple has cooperated every bit as much as Microsoft in any NSA queries. Don't kid yourself that that's not the case.

by Anonymousreply 4008/07/2013

Old competitors Apple and Microsoft are going to combine in the not too distant future as a strategy to crush Google which will continue to grow and enter new businesses with ever increasing revenue streams.

by Anonymousreply 4108/07/2013

iOS7 is already copying a lot from Windows Phone 8...

I wonder if WP8.1 is going to copy from iOS7 :-)

by Anonymousreply 4208/07/2013

Another great ad, pitting Win8 against iPads and such:

by Anonymousreply 4308/19/2013

It's mildly amusing

by Anonymousreply 4408/19/2013

No Siri in the ad at R43, but then, there didn't need to be.

by Anonymousreply 4508/20/2013

R43 if they were to compare a Win8 tablet against a MacBook Air, which is really what it's competing against, it would fair pretty poorly - even on price.

by Anonymousreply 4608/20/2013

Not even on price.

And some of the newer ultra-book Win8 machines run rings around the MacBook Air, imho. Thinner, lighter, faster, WITH a touch-screen, more apps, etc.

And the convertables all pound the hell out of the MacBook air, and are lots cheaper.

by Anonymousreply 4708/20/2013

until someone invents a touch screen that does not get all smeary when people put thier greasy fingers on it - I am sticking with a non touch screen laptop. Keep your rhino virus tyvm.

I wish apple would do the exact same ad but at the end have siri go "wow all that and no one is buying you, I wonder why"

by Anonymousreply 4808/20/2013

"I wonder why?"

Easy: Because people are sheep, slaves to Apple marketing, and prejudiced against Microsoft and unwilling to give them a chance because they care more about "cool" than functionality.

by Anonymousreply 4908/20/2013

nope - MS had the opportunity to crush the ipad and apple but they chose to position the device on the same level. Had they taken a loss on the first round of Windows RT tablets by selling low and had they offered the top app developers incentives to create apps for windows store - the windows RT tablet would have flown off the shelves. That coupled with a very poor sales showing of Windoes 8 the OS doomed it's launch.

The keyboards for the surface were 99 and 129 bucks respectivly and were a 10 dollar cost. The chargers is 50 for the travel and 79 for the rapid.

The very fact you could by a touch screen 11.6 inch laptop with a core i3 and full windows 8 (meaning you could install and run regular apps) for less than a 32 GB RT was ridiculous.

The 32 RT should have come out at 199 with touch keyboard. The same loss MS took when sellng the xbox 360 - the money is in market penetration. Instead they tried to compete in price with the ipad and now they are taking a loss in the billions.

by Anonymousreply 5008/21/2013

Yeah, I guess offering more power and functionality for the same price as an iPad was a HORRIBLE idea...

by Anonymousreply 5108/21/2013

what more power - chip for chip the nvidia is pretty much on par with a6. The ipad has the retina display versus the 1336x768 of an RT an oh a billion more apps. It is thinner, lighter and lasts much longer on a charge. I'm not saying the RT is bad..Hell I have one, but MS should have under cut Apple on price.

by Anonymousreply 5208/21/2013

More power = able to run two apps at once, ability to browse ANY site (even flash) without issues, skydrive integration for syncing with laptops/desktops ("it just works"), and the integrated keyboard/cover is pretty damn useful and cool. It also does handwriting recognition, has a file system, allows drag-and-drop from your network PC/Laptop using file manager, has a USB port, Micro-SD expansion...

And no, the iPad is not thinner, and is barely lighter (negligibly), and doesn't last THAT Much longer on a charge.

Yes, I agree, they SHOULD have priced it lower. But that's 20/20 hindsight talking. The fact is, it's a quality build, not meant to be a bargain basement device (that was SUPPOSED to be filled by other vendors... again, 20/20 hindsight here).

by Anonymousreply 5308/21/2013

Skydrive is on ipad too, and drop box and icloud and about a dozen other cloud services. Ever see a ipad work with a mac? Pretty much the same thing as win8/rt - it just works and I would argue better in a lot of ways. Yes the rt can run two apps at once...but would you? I have tried it..on such a low res it is not very useful other than a gee wiz factor. Bargain basement? even at 199 it would have been seen as a steal. That integrated keyboard cover? yeah that was waaaaay overpriced. 109 bucks for something that cost 16 dollars to make?

by Anonymousreply 5408/21/2013

I mentioned SkyDrive because of the things like favorites syncing, and settings syncing... which don't happen with drop box, etc. Skydrive is SO much more than drop box.

by Anonymousreply 5508/21/2013

The side-by-side apps thing gets way better in Win 8.1 ... having two apps sharing 50/50 screen works great, especially when you want to do things like reference a web page while composing an email, or view one email while composing another (two instances of email), or even see two web pages side-by-side. Try that on an iPad.

Other benefits, like Skype, are demonstrated in the YouTube ads linked above.

So yes, running more than one app at a time is very useful, and even more so in 8.1

The Kickstand also makes it a much better device to read Kindle books on ... I can read while eating out, just set it up and go. It's far more awkward on an iPad.

by Anonymousreply 5608/21/2013

except I hate kindle on my RT - it hangs constantly. I am not arguing the design or the functionality (icloud is pretty much skydrive for mac/ipad though)..MS did a lot of things right with don't have to sell me on it I have one. You can't argue the fact though. MS it taking a HUGE hit financially, partners are abandoning building RT devices. The money MS made on surface sales did not even cover the advertisting costs of the device.

by Anonymousreply 5708/21/2013

The original Kindle app was sucky (definitely a version 1.0), but the current Kindle app works great for me, and doesn't hang.

I had a few issues with one version a while back that would hang if there wasn't an internet connection (it had ONE book that, while downloaded, it seemed to insist on an internet connection to read). That was weird, but a subsequent update fixed it.

Also, after updating, always launch the app. It does some "finishing the update" things which require Wi-Fi, before it's ready for off-line use.

Other than that, sorry you're having trouble with it. But if you haven't tried it in a while, update it and try it again and see if you still have issues. If it's with one particular book, you might want to wipe it, and re-download it, to see if that fixes it.

And I'm not arguing the reality here. I'm saying this is all easy arm-chair quarterbacking with 20/20 hindsight. Their original plan made sense given the info at the time ... it just didn't work out that way.

by Anonymousreply 5808/21/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!