Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Ryan Gosling New Film Gets Booed and Called A Defecation!

The actor's film Only God Forgives got the worst reception of any film yet at the 2013 Cannes Film Festival.

Many just got up and left.

Gosling plays, a drug-smuggler thriving in Bangkok's criminal underworld, sees his life get even more complicated when his mother compels him to find and kill whoever is responsible for his brother's recent death.

Not surprisingly Ryan Gosling elected not to attend the premiere.

by Anonymousreply 7501/02/2014

I can't speak to the quality of this movie since I haven't seen it but this does remind me that the Brooklyn Academy of Music is putting on a movie series right now called BOOED AT CANNES and they're showing a bunch of movies that've become important even though they were indeed booed at Cannes. Movies like Taxi Driver and Wild At Heart and L'Eclisse are showing. So a few mouthy Frenchies drunk on morning champagne might not be the best judges of everlasting quality, is all I'm saying.

by Anonymousreply 105/23/2013

Booooo! Booooooo!

by Anonymousreply 205/23/2013

Yikes. I'm still going to see it, but I'm disappointed. I was hoping this was going to be big.

by Anonymousreply 305/23/2013

Just another flop for Mickey Mousling

by Anonymousreply 405/23/2013

R3, if it's as big as Taxi Driver (see R1), I think you can let go of your disappointment.

by Anonymousreply 505/23/2013

Please R1, picking out a handful of movies isn't a good argument. What about the forgotten hundreds that have been booed throughout the Festival's inception.

Supposedly this is a more violent, crappier version of Drive with even less plot or character development. Plenty of people mentioned the director must have serious issues and should go to therapy.

by Anonymousreply 605/23/2013

They were not saying Boo. They were saying Boourns.

by Anonymousreply 705/23/2013

The Guardian film critic gave it 5 strs

Ryan Gosling and Nicolas Winding Refn re-team for an emotionally breathtaking, aesthetically brilliant and immensely violent thriller set amongst US expatriates in Bangkok

by Anonymousreply 805/23/2013

I read that Ryan has about 12 lines of dialogue in the whole movie.

by Anonymousreply 905/23/2013

French people like twee, they like charming idiocy (Jerry Lewis), they like fromage, they don't like deodorant (yay to that!), they didn't like Cronenberg's "Crash" (booed it, too) and I love it.

by Anonymousreply 1005/23/2013

This is the same director as the pretentious DRIVE, which some critics adored (including The Guardian no doubt).

by Anonymousreply 1105/23/2013

How naked does he get in it?

by Anonymousreply 1205/23/2013

I actually kind of hate Taxi Driver.

...there is a weird grey area sometimes with films that I find philosophically confused, or that I outright disagree with, or even find completely repugnant and horrible...yet they aren't 'bad' films per se, as in, they're not poorly *done*, and I think you should probably see them because they're culturally relevant, or historically important.

by Anonymousreply 1405/23/2013

That's the only real issue, isn't it, R12?

by Anonymousreply 1505/23/2013

I have doubts about taxi driver being actually booed since DeNiro and especially Jodie were very much loved by the audience at Cannes. Jodie got lots of attention there for it. Was the filmed booed for its ending or for the whole film itself?

by Anonymousreply 1605/23/2013

Sweetie, an excellent film by Jane Campion, was also booed at Cannes.

by Anonymousreply 1705/23/2013

Only God Forgives debuts with a 25% rotten score on Rotten Tomatoes.

I didn't like Drive, but I thought it looked beautiful. This does too, but I know I don't want to see people's limbs and flesh being hacked off and sliced. I'm out.

The poster for it is awesome though.

by Anonymousreply 1805/23/2013

R10, do you understand that Cannes isn't exclusive to the French?

by Anonymousreply 1905/23/2013

I want to see it just for Kristen Scott Thomas. Apparently she's a foul mouthed,nasty piece of work.

by Anonymousreply 2005/23/2013

oops link

by Anonymousreply 2105/23/2013

It was [R17]!? I love that movie..

by Anonymousreply 2205/23/2013

I have the same problem with all of Scorsese's movies. I admit I never saw Taxi Driver but out of the Scorsese movies I saw I didn't like a single one. They are all beautifully shot, techically perfect, brilliant cast but it's as if he keeps making the same cynical, violent, men's world plus decorative ladies-movie over and over again, just in a different setting.

I can't say anything about Gosling's new film other than it sounds and looks like it is influenced by recent Asian ultra violent and hyper realistic exploitation movies. Being booed at Cannes can really mean anything and everything though. Lets see what the critics have to say if they can still detach themselves from this incident.

by Anonymousreply 2305/23/2013

I like Ryan Gosling, think he is a talented actor and hot. That being said, how does he keep getting jobs? He has not really had too many hits.

by Anonymousreply 2405/23/2013

Because he turns in good performances, he has a lot of tabloid buzz, and he mostly takes low budget projects.

by Anonymousreply 2505/23/2013

Kristin Scott Thomas!!

by Anonymousreply 2605/23/2013

Booing films is a Cannes Film Festival tradition. It happens every year to numerous films. Not sure it means much, except that the audience is allowed to applaud or protest a film with no reservations.

You never hear of any scandals involving other film festivals, but there is something every year at Cannes that generates buzz. Cannes FF is about promotion and making film titles resonate in the media.

by Anonymousreply 2705/23/2013

TAXI DRIVER won the Palme d'Or at the 1976 Cannes Film Festival. I sincerely doubt it was booed when it screened.

by Anonymousreply 2805/23/2013

Controversial films will get booed. It only takes a few people to get a really good boo going. As for people walking out, they probably couldn't take the violence.

by Anonymousreply 2905/23/2013

Yes, it was, R22

"Debate, perhaps even controversy, has characterised the reception of Campion’s films since the premiere of her first feature Sweetie at Cannes in 1989, where it was greeted with boos and hisses."

by Anonymousreply 3005/23/2013

Was he called a defecation because his asshole was filled with shit when his French trick fucked him?

by Anonymousreply 3105/23/2013

The director and the producers of Only God Forgives must love the attention. The film could have been just another of the screened films; now everyone is talking about it.

by Anonymousreply 3205/23/2013

The new Coen brothers film got a long standing ovation at Cannes, yet you don't hear as much about Inside Llewyn Davis as you do abot the Gosling film.

by Anonymousreply 3305/23/2013

Not such a bad thing. Maybe it will be called art and appreciated as a divisive lost masterpiece somewhere down the line.

by Anonymousreply 3405/23/2013

[quote]where it was greeted with boos and hisses

The theater must have been filled with old queens.

by Anonymousreply 3505/23/2013

It doesn't matter if the audience boos and hisses. It isn't a popular vote. The jury determines prize winners. So unless Steven Spielberg and Nicole Kidman were booing and hissing it doesn't mean anything.

by Anonymousreply 3605/23/2013

Just for context (and giggles) here's the rest of the paragraph from the reviewer, Jeff Wells, who called it a defecation :

[quote]"Movies really don’t get much worse than Nicholas Winding Refn‘s ‘Only God Forgives.’” Wells rails. “It’s a shit macho fantasy — hyper violent, ethically repulsive, sad, nonsensical, deathly dull, snail-paced, idiotic, possibly woman-hating, visually suffocating, pretentious. I realize I sound like Rex Reed on one of his rants, but trust me, please — this is a defecation by an over-praised, over-indulged director who thinks anything he craps out is worthy of your time. I felt violated, shat upon, sedated, narcotized, appalled and bored stiff.”

by Anonymousreply 3805/23/2013

Refn is incoherent. Perhaps we are returning to the era of junkie film-makers. That said, that was a good era for film.

by Anonymousreply 3905/23/2013

Ryan Gosling: "I think like a woman" after he just said that John Hughes' movies would have been masterpieces if they had included violence.

by Anonymousreply 4005/23/2013

Oh Christ is was Jeffrey Wells who said all that? He's a fucking buffoon, I'm immediately more inclined to disregard this.

by Anonymousreply 4105/23/2013

I wanna buy a vowel, Alex!

by Anonymousreply 4205/23/2013

Down to 22% percent at Rotten Tomatoes.

Sure, Wells is the most colorful in his reviews, but he ain't the only one.

by Anonymousreply 4305/23/2013

Great publicity for this movie.

by Anonymousreply 4405/23/2013

Maybe someone can start a thread about a lesbian themed film at Cannes that is getting good reviews:

[quote]Blue Is the Warmest Color features long, graphic sex scenes that are crucial in establishing the all-consuming physical passion that is the foundation of the bond between Adèle and Emma (what U.S. distributors will do with all the full-frontal flesh, saliva, spanking, and panting is anybody's guess). But though it instantly joins works like Ang Lee's Brokeback Mountain on the too-short list of great big-screen same-sex romances, the movie adds up to much more than a lesbian love story; by the time it reaches its quietly devastating, though hopeful, final shot, Kechiche's film has become a map of the human soul.

by Anonymousreply 4505/23/2013

[quote] How does he keep getting jobs?

Probably by letting his directors suck his enormous cock, lick on his 8 pack, or by fucking them in the culo, like all casting couch surfers land a role.

by Anonymousreply 4605/23/2013

R46, So how did Gosling get the starring role in Clooney's latest?

by Anonymousreply 4705/23/2013

Good thing if Gosling doesn't talk in movies because he has the most annoying voice. He gave a lame and lazy performance in Pines. Completely being overshadowed by Ben Mendelsohn. Since he became an internet sensation he doesn't think he has to give good performances anymore. Pretentious idiot!

by Anonymousreply 4805/23/2013

R17, I love Sweetie too!

by Anonymousreply 4905/23/2013

They had Irreversible director Gaspar Noé on set. Prob the most violent and most shocking movie I have ever seen in my life. Full of sexual aggressive male fantasies. Although that movie had some artistic value (and it had the gorgeous Monica Belucci in it, and I don't know how she got through that horrific scene), Only God Forgives just seems to be try hard ... like Ryan Gosling.

by Anonymousreply 5005/23/2013

I would pay any price to be Ryan Gosling's cumdump.

by Anonymousreply 5105/23/2013

I love what the director said about Scott-Thomas: "She has no problem turning on the bitch switch."

I bet she doesn't.

by Anonymousreply 5205/23/2013

[quote]I love what the director said about Scott-Thomas: "She has no problem turning on the bitch switch."

I can see that happening, though, I must admit, I like the softness that KST acquired with age.

by Anonymousreply 5305/24/2013

No takers for starting a new thread about Blue Is the Warmest Colour? It's the BBM for lesbians.

[quote]There's a devastating mix of eroticism and sadness in Abdellatif Kechiche's new film, which returns to the style and setting of his 2003 movie Games Of Love and Chance. It's the epic but intimate story of a love affair between two young women, unfolding in what seems like real time. There's an interestingly open, almost unfinished quality to the narrative, although this could just be because the print shown here in Cannes was still without credits. The film is acted with honesty and power by Léa Seydoux and Adèle Exarchopoulos; the affair itself is a little idealised, and the film is flawed by one rather histrionic scene, though not, I think, by its expansive three-hour length. Nonetheless, this is still a blazingly emotional and explosively sexy film, which reminds you how timidly unsexy most films are, although as with all explicit movies, there will be one or two airy sophisticates who will affect to be unmoved by it, and claim that the sex is "boring". It isn't.

by Anonymousreply 5405/24/2013

It's been reported that Ryan Gosling is in incognito and is hiding from the media.

by Anonymousreply 5505/24/2013

[quote]She calls her girlfriend a cumdump

That's nasty! No wonder people walked out.

by Anonymousreply 5605/24/2013

[all posts by ham-fisted troll a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 5705/24/2013

It sounds like this season's "Human Centipede."

by Anonymousreply 5805/24/2013

[quote]He hasn't even attempted a mainstream movie since Crazy, Stupid, Love in 2011.

Gangster Squad was a mainstream movie. It came out in January but kind of flopped.

by Anonymousreply 5905/24/2013

I just started the thread for you, R45 --

by Anonymousreply 6005/24/2013

"and Called a Defecation"

Sometimes a good shit is just what we need.

by Anonymousreply 6105/24/2013

"A defecation" sounds like something Amanda Wingfield would say about a book she hated.

by Anonymousreply 6205/24/2013

Thank you, R60!

by Anonymousreply 6305/24/2013

"By far the most pertinent scene comes early on when we watch a girl masturbate while Gosling is tied down to a chair. What a wonderful analogy for the entire film."

by Anonymousreply 6405/24/2013

by Anonymousreply 6505/25/2013

Funny, how no one mentioned that Luke Evans bailed out of this film, leaving the part for Ryan Gosling.

by Anonymousreply 6605/25/2013

Ryan Gosling was brilliant - and incredibly attractive - in the indie film "The Slaughter Rule". Gosling is a football quarterback who is recruited as a player and maybe more by David Morse, in an equally-transcendent performance.

Fantastic cinemaotgraphy of the old west and a lovely and evocative musical score by Jay Farrar. See it!

by Anonymousreply 6705/25/2013

r66 I remember reading that way back when, but had forgotten it. Even more intriguing now that's it's turned out so unfavorably.

Poor Gosling. He had such an amazing 2011, then did nothing in 2012, and now 2013 is going so poorly for him. This, Gangster Squad being a mess, Place Beyond the Pines was well received but didn't really hold any interest. I wonder how the Terence Malick film will go over.

by Anonymousreply 6805/25/2013

If he will make the cut in that Malick movie ...

by Anonymousreply 6905/25/2013

A defecation!

I'm in.

by Anonymousreply 7005/25/2013

R68, Place Beyond the Pines was not well received by the critics.

Looking at Goslings bio, he really hasn't had a great career, other than Notebook, he really hasn't anything to show for it.

by Anonymousreply 7105/26/2013

[quote]Place Beyond the Pines was not well received by the critics.

Yes, actually it was. And it did very well for an indie film at the box office.

[quote]Looking at Goslings bio, he really hasn't had a great career, other than Notebook, he really hasn't anything to show for it

An Oscar nomination for Half Nelson means nothing? And he should have been nominated for Blue Valentine as well.

by Anonymousreply 7205/26/2013

He had nothing but flops in recent years. As an actor he has given some great performances, but publicity wise he seems to rely on being a gossip rag poster boy these days. In none of his recent movies he is halfway believable. PSH, Ben Mendelsohn, Marisa Tomei all acted circles around him. The Disney boy has become a bit full of himself.

by Anonymousreply 7305/26/2013

[all posts by ham-fisted troll a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 7405/26/2013

OMG, Ryan Gosling has tiny hands, like child hands with short, chubby fingers.

Why do people find him charismatic or sexy? He has beady eyes and a head the shape of a small handball. He doesn't even have a sexy voice.

by Anonymousreply 7501/02/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!