Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Canada LIFTS THE BAN Against Gay Men From Donating Blood!

Canada is lifting the lifetime ban on blood donation by gay men.

As long as they have had no sexual contact with anyone for five years, Canada will be happy to accept blood donations from gay men.

Isn't that wonderful? The ban has been lifted!

by Anonymousreply 2005/30/2013

I know you were trying to be sarcastic but hey it is a step in the right direction. And reality is rates of HIV among us are still WAY higher than the general population.

The real people to complain to about this are the disgusting idiots who think real men should have sex bareback, they are the ones who keep rules like this in place.

by Anonymousreply 105/23/2013

I've never understood why gays were so upset at not being able to donate blood. The way I see it is that if they don't want my blood, that's just fine and that they must not need it that much.

by Anonymousreply 205/23/2013

A gay man with no sexual contact with anyone for five years? Where?

by Anonymousreply 305/23/2013

But,R1, it doesn't even say "gay men in monogamous relationships for five years" it's no sex at all for five years. They still don't want the blood; this just makes them look good while providing diddly. You can be impressed if you want to be.

by Anonymousreply 405/23/2013

Hooray!

by Anonymousreply 505/23/2013

Because we know that men always tell the truth about their sex lives.

by Anonymousreply 605/23/2013

Sadly, I qualify. And I am Canadian.

by Anonymousreply 705/23/2013

Why aren't they denying heteros the right to give blood if they've had any sexual contact in the past 5 years?

by Anonymousreply 805/23/2013

What if I only take loads in the throat and face?

by Anonymousreply 905/23/2013

R9 NO SEXUAL CONTACT for 5 years.

by Anonymousreply 1005/23/2013

[quote]As long as they have had no sexual contact with anyone for five years, Canada will be happy to accept blood donations from gay men.

Wow. That means that practically everyone who posts here can donate.

by Anonymousreply 1105/23/2013

Is still OK for the slutty heterosexuals who had three sexual encounters on their way to the blood drive to continue to donate?

by Anonymousreply 1205/23/2013

I am a Canadian male, with a husband from Trinidad. It is like a Sarah Silverman sketch.

It is discriminatory, for sure. But the Red Cross made some terrible and costly mistakes with HIV and Hep C in the Canadian blood bank.

Gay men are not refused to have their blood taken for donation, but like everyone else be aware that it will be tested for HIV and Hep ABC and who knows what else. Some gay men have used this as a way of testing themselves for the HIV virus. There is an assumptive problem here, but I don't know the solution.

I do not qualify, but neither do IV drug users. We are not the same in any way. Except for statistics. They are counted.

We are monogamous and have been celibate for 2 days. I think another day will pass.

Some do qualify. They screen it all anyway. What to think?

by Anonymousreply 1305/23/2013

Don't make excuses for them R13. That's just stupid.

And gay men don't use it as an HIV test, that's ridiculous. The blood is separated and pooled before it is tested anyway, I'd imagine.

by Anonymousreply 1405/23/2013

Anyway, all the "data" this prejudice was based on, an idea that gay blood had a high probability of contamination, was based on entirely false ideas circa 1987 of how many gay people there were and how widespread AIDS was among us.

by Anonymousreply 1505/23/2013

It scares the shit out of me.

by Anonymousreply 1605/23/2013

Nothing has changed. They'll still take blood from ho-bag women who fuck without condoms and are walking petri-dishes of STI's, but they won't take blood from gay men if they've had sex with another man in the last 5 years - protected or not.

Fuck 'em.

by Anonymousreply 1705/24/2013

No ho-bag straight men in the world, just women. How interesting!

by Anonymousreply 1805/24/2013

I agree that nothing has changed. When it comes to straight people, they look at the individual and whether or not that individual recently engaged in risky behaviors such as condomless anal sex, intravenous drug use, tattoos, etc. When it comes to gay men, they don’t care about whether the individual is engaging in risky behavior — the automatic, disprovable assumption is that all gay men are diseased.

by Anonymousreply 1905/24/2013

at least it is a start

by Anonymousreply 2005/30/2013
Need more help? Click Here.