Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

How Racism Turned an Interracial Family's Trip to Walmart into a Kidnapping Investigation

A Virginia father's trip to Walmart last week took an unexpected turn when he was accused of kidnapping his three young daughters because their skin color did not match his. Joseph, a white father in an interracial marriage who does not want his family name revealed, has three daughters, a 4-year-old and 2-year-old twins. According to Fox News in DC, Joseph took them to Walmart in Potomac Mills in Woolbridge to cash a check, then was "shocked" to find a Prince William County police officer waiting for them at home.

"He asks us very sincerely, ‘Hey, I was sent here by Walmart security. I just need to make sure that the children that you have are your own,’” Joseph told Fox.

"I was dumbfounded," his wife, Keana, told Fox, "I sat there for a minute and I thought, ‘Did he just ask us if these were our kids knowing what we went through to have our children?’

"He took my ID and asked my 4-year-old to point out who her mother and father were."

Joseph told Fox an officer explained that a Walmart security guard "reported seeing him in the parking lot with the girls and thought it was strange." After the cop left, Keana called Walmart and was transferred to a Walmart security officer who blamed a customer for the incredibly false alarm.

Keana says the security oficer told her, "Well, the customer was concerned because they saw the children with your husband and he didn't think that they fit. And I said, ‘What do you mean by they don't fit?’ And I was trying to get her to say it. And she says, ‘Well, they just don't match up.’”

Walmart issued a statement claiming, "There's still a lot of unknowns at this time and we're currently looking into the situation." Joseph and Keana will never shop at Walmart again, and are hoping they can make good of the incident by raising awareness about racism and love's ability to transcend skin color.

PSA: Multiracial families do not imply kidnapping.

by Anonymousreply 6305/24/2013

I believe if it had been a black man with mixed kids, nothing would've happened. It's because white men and black women are still a rarity.

by Anonymousreply 105/22/2013

Where is your proof, R2?

by Anonymousreply 305/22/2013

Not in my house, R1.

Not as much as you might think.

by Anonymousreply 405/22/2013

[quote]has three daughters, a 4-year-old and 2-year-old twins. According to Fox News in DC, Joseph took them to Walmart

God he's brave. I'd rather be lined up and shot than take 3 little kids anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 505/22/2013

[quote]I was sent here by Walmart security.

LOL!!

He should have known right then to just hang up the phone.

by Anonymousreply 605/22/2013

In Prince William County? Which is fairly diverse?

Northern Virginia, you're disappointing me.

by Anonymousreply 705/22/2013

Welcome to AmeriKKKa!

by Anonymousreply 805/22/2013

If you see something, say something. That's my motto.

by Anonymousreply 905/22/2013

Is VotD also a NoVA expert? This doesn't surprise me at all.

by Anonymousreply 1005/22/2013

LMAO @ R10

by Anonymousreply 1105/22/2013

He also wouldn't have been stopped, R1, because "black" is far more expansive than "white" in the United States.

by Anonymousreply 1205/22/2013

I think it's because of all that if you see something say something business. I guess people need to be told people of seemingly different races out together is no reason to call the cops. Even if he wasn't their father, he could have been the manny/babysitter or a friend or relative. What a ridiculous thing for Walmart security to get involved in.

My child & I could look like different races (although sometimes people just think I have a tan) but I guess we look enough alike that no one has ever doubted he was my son. But I did have a Puerto Rican babysitter who had very blonde children and she told me people would come up to her all the time very rudely asking if they were really her children.

by Anonymousreply 1305/22/2013

Are you surprised that Walmart has people with shit for brains working for them?

by Anonymousreply 1405/23/2013

"We already talked about this but everyone thinks it was a Black Woman shopping at Walmart that turned the white guy into security."

Who the fuck cares if it was a white person or a black person who went to security? Either way, it sucks.

by Anonymousreply 1505/23/2013

Black man's jealousy of seeing a white man with a black woman or in this case with his biracial offspring.

by Anonymousreply 1605/23/2013

I knew a black Cuban guy who's wife was white. She had white kids from a first marriage, and this happened to him. It goes both ways, and it's idiotic.

by Anonymousreply 1805/23/2013

How do you know that person is black, R19?

by Anonymousreply 2005/23/2013

We live in a Police State - why are we surprised?

The only thing surprising is the County Police taking orders from Walmart Security who were obviously worried about their owners being sued if they were wrong- which they were.

by Anonymousreply 2105/23/2013

The sad thing r21 is that Americans OBEY these requests. He should not have complied and should handled it with violence if necessary. Other shoppers should have come to his defense with whatever force it required.

by Anonymousreply 2305/23/2013

The racism and ignorance on Datalounge is vile. Who raised and educated some of you? Gross...

by Anonymousreply 2405/23/2013

I can't tell if r24 is an idiot or not. Who are you talking about, r24?

by Anonymousreply 2505/23/2013

God Damn, R23, you're dumb. Also he was at home.

by Anonymousreply 2605/23/2013

It's Woodbridge, not Woolbridge!

by Anonymousreply 2705/23/2013

Wanda Sykes discusses this scenario with her white twins.

by Anonymousreply 2805/23/2013

Why the hell was the man going to Walmart to cash a check?! Don't most people still have bank accounts these days?

Has Walmart cornered the market on everything these days? Their crappy Made in China items, bad food, cheap generic drugs and now they cash checks? Do they also have a dentist on premises?

I am proud to announce that I have never been in a Walmart in my life, in fact there are none where I live and sure I hope the local activists keep it that way! What a disgusting vile corporation.

by Anonymousreply 2905/23/2013

[quote]Is VotD also a NoVA expert? This doesn't surprise me at all.

Yeah, it's not like I've lived in the Commonwealth of Virginia for 35 years, or that most of my college friends were from NoVA and lots of them still live there.

by Anonymousreply 3005/23/2013

[quote]Joseph took them to Walmart in Potomac Mills in Woolbridge to cash a check,

What kind of trash cashes checks at WalMart????

by Anonymousreply 3105/23/2013

I know R31. This guy should gladly pay a bank fees every month just for the honor of having an account with them. How dare he try to keep more of the money he has earned?

by Anonymousreply 3205/23/2013

Sue their asses.

by Anonymousreply 3305/23/2013

You really think WalMart cashes checks for FREE, R32? Dumb much?

by Anonymousreply 3405/23/2013

R34 I never said that.

Read much?

by Anonymousreply 3505/23/2013

I'm white, took my white nephews and niece to a store. One of the nephews got pissed because I wouldn't buy something for him and screams YOU AREN'T MY DADDY! I had a fun afternoon.

by Anonymousreply 3605/23/2013

Oh for heavens sake, nobody got hurt. The cop was embarrassed and explained to the family that he had to follow up after a Walmart security person called police.

This family is looking for a payday.

by Anonymousreply 3705/23/2013

To all you yapping about cashing a check at Walmart, some actually HAVE a bank in them. If you don't know what you're talking about, you should shut the fuck up. I'm especially looking at YOU R29, who speaks of a place he claims to never have entered.

by Anonymousreply 3805/23/2013

Yet if this were a kidnapping case and the kids ended up dead people would complain "why didn't anyone do anything?"

by Anonymousreply 3905/23/2013

These days, as soon as you involve children, all bets are off. If your own child said "this person isn't my parent" people are going to believe the child and you'll have a fun couple of hours getting out of it. Kids hold the keys to the kingdom these days.

by Anonymousreply 4005/23/2013

r37

You have no problem with a Walmart security person being a racist moron?

There is absolutely no evidence that the family is "looking for a payday."

by Anonymousreply 4105/23/2013

r39

There was absolutely no evidence of a kidnapping. There was only a difference of skin color. This was racism, pure and simple.

by Anonymousreply 4205/23/2013

[quote] To all you yapping about cashing a check at Walmart, some actually HAVE a bank in them

Yes but Walmart advertises about their check cashing services. I've seen several TV ads of theirs extolling the virtues of cashing your check at Walmart.

by Anonymousreply 4305/23/2013

And R43, Walmart charges for that privilege despite what some idiot on this thread implies. I have a free account at my credit union and never pay a fee to cash checks.

by Anonymousreply 4405/23/2013

Yes they do charge, R44. But their fees are supposedly lower than what check cashing places charge.

Not everyone is able to have a bank account, due to lack of income (some banks have a minimum deposit requirement, and some require minimum balances be maintained) or other issues. And not everyone lives in places where they have access to a credit union they can join.

Walmart appeals mostly to lower income income clientele, whether shopping or cashing checks.

by Anonymousreply 4505/23/2013

The deeper issue here is GENDERISM.

A white woman with three black kids would have never been stopped. Women are identified as care-givers.

Men are identified as kid-nappers.

by Anonymousreply 4605/23/2013

Why are people assuming that the guy's wife is a Black woman? All the article in OP's post says is that the man's in an inter-racial marriage.

by Anonymousreply 4705/23/2013

[quote] You have no problem with a Walmart security person being a racist moron?

It was a customer.

If the security person had not followed up and it turned out they were kidnapped, nobody would ever shut up about it.

by Anonymousreply 4805/23/2013

Remember how neighbors in Cleveland claimed they called police about seeing women in the kidnap house? Maybe they're lying; maybe they're not. But they claim they called police and police left after not getting anyone to answer the door.

by Anonymousreply 4905/23/2013

[quote] I sat there for a minute and I thought, ‘Did he just ask us if these were our kids knowing what we went through to have our children?’

How would a policeman know what they went through to have children? That's a stupid thing to say.

by Anonymousreply 5005/23/2013

R50 I'm assuming the police officer knows the family.

by Anonymousreply 5105/23/2013

r48

Would a kidnapper take his three young victims out in public? Different skin color is not evidence of a kidnapping. Both the customer who complained and the security guard are racist morons. There was no legitimate reason to call the police.

by Anonymousreply 5205/23/2013

r47

The wife is black. Here is the original story from Channel 5 in DC with pictures of the family.

by Anonymousreply 5305/23/2013

I did a surrogacy. The surrogate was on the opposite coast. When I flew the baby back home at 6 days old, I was repeatedly stopped for being a man traveling alone with a small infant.

It never occurred to me to be indignant about it.

by Anonymousreply 5405/23/2013

R52, Jaycee Dugard and the two children she had in captivity were rescued because the kidnapper took them out in public.

by Anonymousreply 5505/23/2013

Wow, how backwards are people and what century do they think we're in now? Most sane people wouldn't give a family like that a second thought but someone actually called the police on them? Nuts.

by Anonymousreply 5605/23/2013

[quote]Remember how neighbors in Cleveland claimed they called police about seeing women in the kidnap house? Maybe they're lying; maybe they're not.

Turns out their claims are less than accurate.

[quote] You'll notice that most of the claims come from neighbor Israel Lugo, but notice that he's describing incidents that were told to him by others—not things he personally witnessed. His "sister" heard the pounding, "his neighbors" saw the naked girls, and "his mother" called the police. Also: though it wasn't mentioned in the USA Today story, according to The Washington Post, Cintron is Lugo's mother. All the named witness in both articles are related.

by Anonymousreply 5705/23/2013

r55

The people who called the police about Jaycee Dugard noticed actual indications of a kidnapping, not just a difference in skin color.

by Anonymousreply 5805/23/2013

r54

A man traveling with a 6-day old infant is very rare. A man shopping with his three young daughters is very common. You do understand they are completely different situations, don't you?

by Anonymousreply 5905/23/2013

I see people with biracial, black, Asian and a whole mix of kids all the time. What about the gay & straight couples who adopt kids of different race. This must be some kind of hick town if they find this so shocking.

And for R29 Some Walmarts are considering putting dental offices in them. I'm not sure if any has them yet. But riight now the superstores have beauty salon where you can get your nails & your hair done. They also have vision care centers to get eye exams, contacs and glasses.

by Anonymousreply 6005/23/2013

[quote]Why the hell was the man going to Walmart to cash a check?! Don't most people still have bank accounts these days?

This might answer it. It's a convenient place to cash checks after hours. from R53's link.

[quote]On Thursday evening, Joseph took all three girls to the Walmart in Potomac Mills in Woodbridge to cash a check. He says they weren't there long, but spent a few extra minutes in the parking lot while he buckled the girls in and then made a phone call.

by Anonymousreply 6105/24/2013

What the hell is wrong with Virginia? Such crazy stuff is going on there lately. Honestly, they are turning into Florida.

by Anonymousreply 6205/24/2013

Waiting for the resident libertarian to jump in and defend rent-a-cops who call the police and waste taxpayers money.

by Anonymousreply 6305/24/2013
Need more help? Click Here.