Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Pope Francis says atheists can be good

Pope Francis says atheists can be good

Just do good, and we'll find a meeting point, says Francis in marked departure from Benedict's line on non-Catholics

Reuters;, Wednesday 22 May 2013 14.50 EDTt

Atheists should be seen as good people if they do good, Pope Francis has said in his latest urging that people of all religions, and none, work together.

The leader of the world's 1.2 billion Roman Catholics made his comments in the homily of his morning mass at his residence, a daily event at which he speaks without prepared comments.

He told the story of a Catholic who asked a priest if even atheists had been redeemed by Jesus.

"Even them, everyone," the pope answered, according to Vatican Radio. "We all have the duty to do good," he said.

"Just do good, and we'll find a meeting point," the pope said in a hypothetical reply to the hypothetical comment: "But I don't believe. I'm an atheist."

Francis's reaching out to atheists and people who belong to no religion is in marked contrast to the attitude of his predecessor, Benedict, who sometimes prompted complaints from non-Catholics that he seemed to see them as second-class believers.

by Anonymousreply 805/22/2013

Gee thanks. So many of us were just desperate for his seal of approval!

by Anonymousreply 105/22/2013

So he's okay with atheists but thinks gays are the devil incarnate? And I'm sure YOU agree, right OP?

by Anonymousreply 205/22/2013

Thanks to datalounge for posting some of Pope (Arlene) Francis's immortal viewpoints that aim to spread love and peace--I mean hate and oppression.

1. A Senate vote on gay marriage is a destructive pretension against the plan of God.

From a letter to the Carmelite Sisters of Buenos Aires on the perils of marriage equality: "Let's not be naïve, we're not talking about a simple political battle; it is a destructive pretension against the plan of God. We are not talking about a mere bill, but rather a machination of the Father of Lies that seeks to confuse and deceive the children of God."

2. Gay marriage will destroy the family.

"The Argentine people will face a situation whose outcome can seriously harm the family... At stake is the identity and survival of the family: father, mother, and children."

3. Gay parenting is a rejection of God's law engraved in our hearts.

"At stake are the lives of many children who will be discriminated against in advance, and deprived of their human development given by a father and a mother and willed by God. At stake is the total rejection of God's law engraved in our hearts." His comment about this being discrimination against children resulted in a public rebuke from Argentine president Cristina Fernández de Kirchner, who said that Francis' remarks suggested "medieval times and the Inquisition."

4. The political struggle against marriage equality is war.

"The bill will be discussed in the Senate after July 13. Look at San Jose, Maria, Child and ask them [to] fervently defend Argentina's family at this time. [Be reminded] what God told his people in a time of great anguish: 'This war is not yours but God's.' May they succor, defend, and join God in this war."

by Anonymousreply 305/22/2013

Well, that's mighty white of him! Thanks, Pope!

by Anonymousreply 405/22/2013

Pope Arlene Francis. If only.

by Anonymousreply 505/22/2013

[quote]Pope Francis says atheists can be good

...just like priests can be child molesters?

by Anonymousreply 605/22/2013

[quote]Pope Francis says atheists can be good

Dear Uncle Frank: When I'm good, I'm very very good, but when I'm bad, I'm even better.

by Anonymousreply 705/22/2013

It is a complete rejection of the Nazi Pope's decree.

by Anonymousreply 805/22/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!