Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

My cousin freaked out because I said that this version of the Star Spangled Banner was horrendous

The girl messed up BIG TIME. It was on Yahoo.

I'll continue this inside, but here's the story:

During her rendition of “The Star-Spangled Banner” at the Memorial Cup in Saskatoon on Saturday night, Alexis Normand forgets the words around 15 seconds in. That’s OK. We’ve all seen this happen at a sporting event. It’s what follows that makes this, perhaps, the biggest train-wreck version of the anthem ever heard at a hockey game.

From the Yahoo! Sports Canada junior hockey blog Buzzing The Net:

The Saskatoon singer, who performs folk and jazz music, started falteringly in front of the large crowd and a Portland team which is not only based in the United States, but also has 10 Americans in its lineup. The rendition of The Star-Spangled Banner seemed to unravel once Normand got to the third line. Then the "whose broad stripes and bright stars through the perilous fight" was bowdlerized into "those broad stripes and bright stars... at the dawn's early light." The Credit Union Centre crowd seemed amused initially. Eventually, thousands of Canadians came to the rescue and completed the lyrics.

At one point, Normand appears to just be making noises that sound like words, like when you forget a lyric while singing in your car. It’s the first version of the anthem we’ve ever heard that would have benefited from the singer faking a cough, like Bruce Campbell reading from the Necronomicon in “Army of Darkness.” The only thing missing was her turning to the camera at the end and bellowing "AND HELLO ALL YOU PEOPLE ON YOUTUBE!" before winking.

To her credit, Normand quickly tweeted an apology after the anthem:

Alexis Normand @Alex6Normand

I'm embarrassed and deeply sorry. I wish I'd had more time to learn the American anthem. Thanks so much for the crowd's help! #memorialcup

by Anonymousreply 805/22/2013

The woman is Canadian and while she shouldn't have to know the U.S. National Anthem, she should have never attempted to sing it. By doing so, she proved what a selfish, self-centered, famewhoring twat she is. What a shame.

And considering what nasty asshole the Canadians are and can be, particularly when and if anything like this happened during games in the U.S. with Canadian teams, can you fucking IMAGINE the teeth-knashing victimization most Canadians would spew had it been an American singer fucking up THEIR national song?

I feel so much more of a kinship with the U.K. and Australia than I do with Canada because they're all such nasty, American-hating, xenophobic assholes, and they wonder why they're always the world's afterthought.

by Anonymousreply 105/22/2013

by Anonymousreply 205/22/2013

So anyway, this was on Facebook. She replied back with a whole load of sarcastic comments such as "Oh, we should just throw her in prison," "How dare she! She messed up! What is wrong with her?! THE NERVE!" Here's the kicker: "Do you know the words to 'O Canada?'" There was much, much more, but you get the idea.

I have a theory as to what this was all about. She has a really big issue with America, always posting "I'm moving to Canada" crap, and "sorry I'm an American." She's really insufferable. I hate American Exceptionalism as much as the next guy/girl, but she's over the top. She's a neuroscientist. She lives outside the US. She's so condescending today. She wasn't always like that.

My response was basically that I wouldn't have taken the job if I didn't know the words beforehand. Asking me if I knew the words to "O Canada" is irrelevant. Had this been an American singing the Canadian national anthem and screwing it up, I'm sure she would have gone off on one of her anti-America tangents.

Remember, all I said was that it was "horrendous." I didn't say anything else. I wasn't looking for some long, long, long debate about it. I also wasn't making it into a national incident/scandal. I just thought it was horrible.

Do you know anyone like this? Honestly, I hate Facebook sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 305/22/2013

Burn the witch!

by Anonymousreply 405/22/2013

Oh who cares. The star spangled banner sounds like an English drinking song because well, that's what it was until bad poetry was set to its tune. A ducking lousy anthem. Should be America the Beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 505/22/2013

The crowd tried to help her. Very nice. America the Beautiful is terrible.

Columbia, the Gem of the Ocean, should be our national anthem. And our country should be called Columbia too.

by Anonymousreply 605/22/2013

She had the song memorized, but she forgot it under pressure. And when she remembered where she was, she didn't have the confidence to enunciate.

by Anonymousreply 705/22/2013

I'm more concerned with the fact that she's a professional singer and off-key.

by Anonymousreply 805/22/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!