Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Why do you think The Hunger Games was such a smashing success?

Suzanne Collins isn't that great of a writer. The novels aren't targeted at adults. The final book bombed [italic]hard[/italic], so it sort of makes you wonder how the novel was such a smash hit in box office and how many copies the book sold. Discuss.

P.S. I didn't like Peeta, Katniss, or Gale. My favorite character was Finnick Odair (smooches and xoxo)

by Anonymousreply 405/22/2013

But I died.

by Anonymousreply 105/22/2013

I love the books. They had excellent storytelling, a fully-imagined world, and admirable politics.

No, Collins isn't a great prose stylist, but that's not really the point. JK Rowling wasn't a great writer, but she was an incredible storyteller. The Hunger Games tell an engrossing story that provides a sharp critique of our society/government in a way that YA readers are able to digest. If I am surprised the books became such a big hit, it is because they are actually quite subversive, especially when considering they are geared for a YA readership.

The movie was okay.

by Anonymousreply 205/22/2013

It speaks to underemployed youth.

by Anonymousreply 305/22/2013

Because of the teens an pre-teens. The kids are crazy for the book series because the books treat them like adults, not children. And everyone knows someone in that age group, so we all wound up going to see that movie.

by Anonymousreply 405/22/2013
Need more help? Click Here.