Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I lost my job on Monday.

The entire creative team at my agency was eliminated during a conference call with top brass. The bad part is, we were contractors. I took the gig in the height of the recession, it paid well, and I was very thankful for a well-paying job. Now I'm not qualified for unemployment, since I was a contractor, and I am freaking. out. I've been there for three-plus yrs.

My partner keeps telling me to look on the bright side - use the time to reflect on what I really want to do! Enjoy the time off! (I never, ever take time off.) Easy to say, but the income was helpful to say the least. I feel sick and scared.

by Willy Loehmanreply 1705/22/2013

Sorry to hear this. I'm not sure if it's true or not, given that DL is rife with EST's and the like. If it's genuine, I am genuinely sorry for your situation.

by Willy Loehmanreply 105/22/2013

[quote]I never, ever take time off.

Oh, you're one of those.

by Willy Loehmanreply 205/22/2013

Just look for another job and focus on that. Your partner sounds supportive so you're not so bad off.

by Willy Loehmanreply 305/22/2013

OP is DL's "I work at a 'creative agency'" troll.

by Willy Loehmanreply 405/22/2013

Since you were working during the height of the recession, you should have a much easier time finding another job. On the surface, the economy is recovering and most solid companies positioned themselves very well during the worst of it, leaving them lots of cash to use to move forward. Best of luck to you!! (take a little time off, it will help you)

by Willy Loehmanreply 505/22/2013

Thanks. Not an EST, sadly.

by Willy Loehmanreply 605/22/2013

The same thing happened to me Monday, after 17 years for political reasons (although the stated reason was "budget cuts.") I'm more devastated today than ever because the numbness has worn off. I can't stop crying.

by Willy Loehmanreply 705/22/2013

Apply for unemployment anyway, I have known people who though they were not qualified and then they were able to receive benefits.

by Willy Loehmanreply 805/22/2013

You're lucky OP.

I've been unemployed for almost 3 years and I'm single so I'm going through this completely alone.

by Willy Loehmanreply 905/22/2013

Chin up OP. Take the weekend, get drunk, but on Tuesday you need to get your resume out there.

by Willy Loehmanreply 1005/22/2013

I don't know your financial situation but I've been off work since Valentine's Day and I'm enjoying the break. Consider a break if you and your hubby can afford it.

My volunteer work is significantly more gratifying than my drone job. I'm fortunate to have a license so I'll be able to return to work when I'm ready.

Good luck and remember the wise words of datalounge fav heterosexual Bradley Cooper - look for the silver lining.

by Willy Loehmanreply 1105/22/2013

Do what R8 says. You never know, maybe there is a loophole you are unaware of.

by Willy Loehmanreply 1205/22/2013

You in danger , gurl!!

by Willy Loehmanreply 1305/22/2013

First of all sorry, second get over it. Get on Linked in if you are not already and start finding all those people you worked with over the past three years. There are a ton of jobs out there not on the open market. Linked in is probably one of the best ways to find them.

by Willy Loehmanreply 1405/22/2013

Girl, do crack today, and have crazy sex, then get right back on that horse and start looking.

by Willy Loehmanreply 1505/22/2013

Really sorry to hear it. Tell me a little more about your creative field. I might have a few contacts.

by Willy Loehmanreply 1605/22/2013

At least you were working, so strike while the iron is hot. I took too long to start SERIOUSLY looking for a new job. I was a contractor and wasn't aggressive until about 6 months into unemployment. Having to explain that gap sucks and, truth be told, after the 6 month mark I started fudging my length of unemployment so it wouldn't look so bad. I'm working now, but will never be so casual about looking for future work again.

by Willy Loehmanreply 1705/22/2013
Need more help? Click Here.