Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Some question about onions...

I got a good price on some huge Spanish onions. I have about 6 left and in about a week and a half they have grown these very long, right now about 9 inches long, green things coming out of them that look like scallions but don't have a scallion fragrance to them.

1 - Are these onions safe to eat

2 - Are the green things growing out scallions and if so are they safe to eat?

TIA

by Anonymousreply 1705/21/2013

OP, GET OUT OF THE HOUSE NOW!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 105/21/2013

Yes the onions are safe to eat, but they are drying out and will probably taste bitter. The green parts are not scallions and while they won't taste bad, they won't taste like scallions. More like the onion they came from, and likely more bitter than scallions.

by Anonymousreply 205/21/2013

You lost me at "good price"

by Anonymousreply 305/21/2013

Don't eat the green parts. Slice the rest of the onions very, very thin, and caramelize them. Then you can use them lots of ways. Google how to caramelize onions.

by Anonymousreply 405/21/2013

OMG, thats a long time to wait before trying to figure out if something is eatable. You better check for anal warts before they are too numerous to count.....do you think its ok if bareback?

by Anonymousreply 505/21/2013

I always eat the green parts of onions and garlic. WTF? Perfect for soup.

by Anonymousreply 605/21/2013

Jaysus Christus, OP, you are an idiot!!!

by Anonymousreply 705/21/2013

I love R1.

by Anonymousreply 805/21/2013

Thanks everyone. I'll remove the green and caramelize 3 and pickle 3. I love to make a sweet brine with onions and cucumbers or with beets the rest. I was away from home for a while and was very surprised to find these long things growing out of the onions. I never had onions do that before. I was afraid they'd become poisonous.

Yep Mrs. Romney at R3, there are still a few of us left who are not rich and appreciate a good price on something and might buy a few extra while the price is right.

by Anonymousreply 905/21/2013

OP, 100% guarantee that the green part is perfectly safe. Otherwise I would be dead and wouldn't have to clean my house today.

by Anonymousreply 1005/21/2013

Yuck I would throw them away.

by Anonymousreply 1105/21/2013

They're sprouting, which is what mature plants do. They were probably cheap because they were getting old -- like potatoes that are on the verge of sprouting eyes.

Completely safe, though the sprouts may taste a little bitter & the onions will start to get soft if you don't use them soon. Pickling & caramelizing are both good ways to use them -- or just chop & freeze to use in soups & stews later.

At the link is a very good recipe that uses sweet onions (freezes well too).

by Anonymousreply 1205/21/2013

Grow more.

by Anonymousreply 1305/21/2013

Thanks for your input R 10, 11, 12 and 13.

I never thought of just chopping and freezing a couple of them. I'll do that so I don't have prepare so many at once.

Thank you for the links R12 and R13. Both very interesting. I'm going to try growing some the next time I buy scallions. Who knew???

by Anonymousreply 1405/21/2013

*rolls eyes*

by Anonymousreply 1505/21/2013

This thread is making me horny as HELL!

by Anonymousreply 1605/21/2013

[quote] Who knew?

Things like this should be taught in grade school. I'm in Silicon Valley where the weather is good all year & many/most of the grade schools in my area have vegetable gardens (with sunflower borders) on the grounds. The kids participate in the whole process -- preparing the plots, deciding on the crops, planting, watering & maintaining, harvesting.

Along the way, they learn what each vegetable offers in terms of nutrition & how it's used in various dishes from different cuisines. They get to eat what they grow (& use pumpkins for classroom jack-o-lanterns), take some home, & give some away to community food banks.

Lots of useful lessons from growing a few vegetables & sunflowers, & it's fun too.

by Anonymousreply 1705/21/2013
Need more help? Click Here.