Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

New York Bike Share Program

I saw some of the new stands being installed over the weekend. It seemed like a good idea, until I went to the program's website. Apart from it seeming kind of expensive, it's clearly only designed to benefit a certain segment of the city's population. There aren't any locations north of Central Park in Manhattan, meaning that students at Columbia (who I imagine would probably use a servie like this) don't benefit, the ones in Brooklyn are only in Brooklyn Heights, Fort Green, and Park Slope (again, you'd think Williamsburg would be all over this), and none in Queens or the Bronx.

Is this just some kind of empty corporate gesture as Bloomberg leaves office, am I just too cynical, or am I pretending to understand something I don't?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 11206/08/2013

If it works I'm sure they will expand it.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 105/21/2013

Aside from major complaints and law suits about the placement of the racks, when you finish a ride and return to find the rack full, it's up to you look at their map and find somewhere else to park the bike, maybe ten blocks away.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 305/21/2013

R3, what if you go over the 30 minute maximum time limit and cannot find a rack with space for it?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 405/21/2013

[quote]Aside from major complaints and law suits about the placement of the racks

Are there lawsuits about the racks? I saw something on TV this morning about people getting ticketed for parking in front of them even though they hadn't put up signs saying not to do that.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 505/21/2013

[quote][R3], what if you go over the 30 minute maximum time limit and cannot find a rack with space for it?

If you're doing the 24-hour or weekly pass, you get charged another $4.00 if you go over the 30 minute mark (while, say pedaling three blocks away to find a different rack), another $9.00 if you go past an hour, and $12 for each half-hour over 90 minutes. If you do the annual subscription, it's $2.50/$6.50/$9.00. But the annual people get 45 minutes, not 30.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 805/21/2013

CitiBike (paid for by Citibank) is splitting the profits with Bloomerg and Company. Along with creating pedestrian plazas (by removing lanes of traffic), he's getting even for not getting to charge drivers a premium for being in Midtown.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 905/21/2013

[quote]Please go away VOTN, nobody wants you in NYC.

You're stuck with me for at least four years. Sorry about that.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1005/21/2013

r5, 99 Bank Street and 175 West 12th, where Ben and Coop lived until recently, have sued. An ambulance couldn't pick up an emergency patient. Racks took up curb space.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1105/21/2013

They take up a lot of space on already cluttered sidewalks. I figure the next Mayor just might remove them. You use mass transit or walk to get anywhere in Manhattan anyway.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1205/21/2013

I want VOTN in the city! Be nice!

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1305/21/2013

To express opposition, Barrow Street dog owners put their pet's shit on top of the rack instead of dumping their plastic bag in the corner bucket.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1405/21/2013

Residents on narrow West 4th Street were without garbage pick-up. Trucks couldn't get through. Fire trucks can't turn to get down streets.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1505/21/2013

I like the idea of thr bikes but I think the removal of so many parking spaces is a bad idea in this city. Maybe if they could work it so the bikes were only around in the summer and the parking spots were back in the winter it could work.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1605/21/2013

Racks prevent parking, FedEx, UPS, and trucks delivering to stores are screwed. Taxis can't pick or drop off passengers in front of their buildings. When a person removes and returns the bike they'll interfere with the flow of traffic.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1805/21/2013

Is it no coincidence a bike rack isn't in front of Janette Sadik-Khan's residence? She's Bloomberg's Department of Transportation Commish, aka puppet.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1905/21/2013

Fuck Bloomberg and fuck this bike plan. If there was a God, Bloomberg would have a heart attack and die on the sidewalk while waiting for EMS (delayed by a newly built bike rack).

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2105/21/2013

They are incredibly inconvenient and I didn't realize how expensive it was going to be.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2205/21/2013

This works fine in London (where there are parks throughout the city) but it will be a disaster here. NYC is not a cyclist-friendly city and never will be.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2305/21/2013

The system also seems to be a success in Minneapolis.

Let's give it a try, ok? The kinks can't be worked out until we give it a try.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2405/21/2013

Yeah, but aren't most of them non-profit? John Hickenlooper, the Governor of Colorado, started one in Denver when he was the mayor. At least from the website, it looks like the NYC program is splitting the money between the city and a private company.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2505/21/2013

What are they going to do about bikers running red lights or stop signs? many don't use bike lanes or go the wrong way on them. Walking through williamsburg or greenpoint you see lots of annoying bikers who never obey traffic rules.Can you imagine idiot tourist families biking four abreast on Fifth Avenue? Get the paramedics ready.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2605/21/2013

Does seem expensive, but there's a rack installed across the road from my apartment, so I'll probably give it a go at least. Wish they weren't such uggo bikes though.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2705/21/2013

No bikes on the UES or UWS. Those folks wouldn't stand for such eyesores. As for the ones above them, well, a few of them might still be poor!

If NYC wants to be a true bike city, it needs to create bike lanes separated by curbs so cars can't encroach on them without serious effort.

But it's easier to get a corporation to dump bikes all over the city rather than attempt any sort of serious infrastructure upgrade.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2805/21/2013

I joined a few months ago and am excited to be able to get on a bike and go. They are planning to roll it out further but these things take time (I think the plan was originally supposed to launch last year).

I'm thrilled because I don't have room for a bike in my apt. and there's no storage/bike rack area. I also don't want to deal with repairs and upkeep. There are three NYC Bike stations very close (I live downtown), so if one is full, I'm sure I can return it to one of the others.

Be patient, people. I think this is a great idea and pretty soon everyone will forget what it was like before the program (just like most people have forgotten what subway riding was like before the Metrocard).

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2905/21/2013

Why aren't city council members questioning why a private corporation can own portions of public streets? Perhaps they've been wined, dined, and pocked-lined by Citibank.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 3005/21/2013

Horrid...across from my office...13th B'Way ....along Thompkins Sq...a real eyesore...winter? No helmet requirement? I had a friend killed on 23rd and Park because of now helmet ....

by The Voice of the Nightreply 3105/21/2013

The city was giving away helmets for free at various events in April and early May. I think if you call 311, you can find out how/where to get one. I picked one up at an event in Queens and it's just as good as the ones you see in stores for $20.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 3205/21/2013

OP - none on Staten Island either

by The Voice of the Nightreply 3305/21/2013

I hate them. I live in Boerum Hill and work in downtown Brooklyn and they're springing up all over the place here. They are placed in stupid locations, like the one by the Brooklyn House of Detention on State Street - I guess that's for prisoners and their families. It's bad enough we have all these dumb bike lanes and now this? I live in a wonderful, convenient neighborhood and do lots of walking. Cyclists do not obey traffic rules which they seem to think are for cars but not for bikes. They're always running red lights and stop signs and it's not unusual to see them riding the wrong way on a one-way street or on the sidewalk.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 3505/22/2013

I fucking hate them and so does everyone I know. We're sick of Bloomberg and his bullshit.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 3605/22/2013

yes, they are placed in really bad places, where there is like one lane of traffic and really congested streets.

one location i walked by today is 3rd ave and 58th street, that road is always jammed packed with cars, trucks etc going east to queens via the bridge and how the fuck are bikers supposed to get in and out safely?

For sure, there will be lots of accidents and these bikes don't come with helmets! LOL!! Hope these bikers bought life insurance!! I hope they cut the whole program, before too many people get killed. There will be more than a few accidents and bikers, please decide whether you want your organs donated in case you get knocked down, without a helmet, you could be brain dead and not likely to wake up!

by The Voice of the Nightreply 3705/22/2013

you will NEVER find them in Upper East Side, coz that's Bloomberg's hood!

by The Voice of the Nightreply 3805/22/2013

I can't imagine anywhere more terrifying to cycle than NYC. Insanity.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 3905/22/2013

I agree R39. DC has it, but DC is an easier city to cycle in than NYC. A lot of tourists use them here as well, and I can only imagine the carnage if that happened in New York.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 4005/22/2013

Can't wait for a huge truck to run down a row of bikes in the rack.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 4105/22/2013

It's comforting that this issue is being discussed with DL's typical level of taste, proportion and judiciousness.

Seriously, you bitches are all crazy.

Or at least all of you were stood up by a hot guy who rode a bike who didn't wanna fuck you.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 4205/22/2013

I bike every day in NY.

I was in Paris last week and used the bike share program. The big difference I noticed is that in Paris, all bikes and pedestrians stop for traffic lights. All bikes and cars yield to pedestrians. Even small streets have bike lanes painted on them. Several times I was in a small street and because it was narrow, cars behind me had to wait stay behind me. None of them honked.

I hope it works in NY, but I think it will be really challenging. I hope that MORE bikes will make drivers more aware.

The biggest challenge in NY is that all drivers, bikers and pedestrians are out for themselves and feel they have the right of way.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 4305/22/2013

r11, yesterday the racks at 175 West 12th were split creating a curb entrance to the building.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 4405/22/2013

r14, Barrow Street racks have been moved from the SE corner of Hudson to the NW, next to St. Luke's Church garden.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 4505/22/2013

It occurs to me that as NYC transitioned from horses to automobiles many of the same carping occurred. Some of you should embrace change a little more aggressively.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 4605/22/2013

There is a bike share program here in Denver that appears to work well, but it is more expensive than just buying a used commuter bike. Speaking of which, I am off to work.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 4705/22/2013

Believe it or not, before Bloomberg, people smoked in offices and restaurants and bars.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 4805/22/2013

Before I leave for work, I have to say that I have the BEST commute. My ride takes me through Denver's City Park, which was also designed by Frederick Law Olmsted. Traffic for me consists of geese and zoo personnel.

After year's of commuting in my car, I am getting my workout in as part of my daily routine and also earn an extra vacation day at work for having an active lifestyle.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 4905/22/2013

[quote]They have the program in DC and it's a fucking rip-off targeted toward hipsters.

How is it a ripoff? I pay $7 a month for unlimited access to bikes throughout the city (in 30min increments). It's an amazing convenience to be able to only bike back home after work rather than bike to work also, and arrive all sweaty in the DC heat. Plus, it expands my lunch options when I can bike somewhere a little bit farther away.

[quote]what if you go over the 30 minute maximum time limit and cannot find a rack with space for it?

The way it works here in DC is that you go to the full rack and claim a 15min credit to find another rack. Also, there's an app for smartphones that shows you all the nearby racks with a count of bikes/empty docks.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 5005/22/2013

I love how the OP, by his own admission, isn't even really a resident of New York, or perhaps just recently, but is posting incessantly about local New York goings on that other people have absolutely no interest in.

What's your damage, Mary? Are you also trying to wedge your way into the local theater crowd? Maybe joining the Manhattan Junior League?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 5105/22/2013

[quote] you will NEVER find them in Upper East Side, coz that's Bloomberg's hood!

Two other reasons:

Women don't bike to work

Older people in NYC don't use bikes

The UES women are not going to tolerate an eyesore andan inconvenience if they get no benefit from it and neither will the aging boomers who now make up the bulk of the UES.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 5205/22/2013

[quote]Women don't bike to work

In DC, women account for 51.33% of the bikeshare ridership.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 5305/22/2013

In NYC, I assure you they do not make up anywhere near that number.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 5405/22/2013

These bike stations are EVERYWHERE downtown. Seriously like every third block!

Bikers do not follow simple traffic rules and I hope Citibank gets sued every time there is an accident involving one of their bikes.

Terrible idea in NYC. Hope it flops big time.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 5505/22/2013

[quote] These bike stations are EVERYWHERE downtown. Seriously like every third block!

I remember when they replaced the coin parking meters. That started downtown too and eventually made its way up.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 5605/22/2013

1. The NY Post story about the bike racks blocking an old woman from getting into an ambulance is a fabrication. It never happened. It's a gambit by her lawyer.

2. The grouchy old cunts who mindlessly hate all cyclists must be driven mad by the massive fog of cat urine that undoubtedly suffuses their old folks garret.

3. The bike share program isn't perfect, sure. But it's in its early stages and various kinks will be worked out. It's probably psychologically satisfying to miserable people to pronounce doom on everything. But those of us who actually get outdoors and have a sex life think that these changes are exciting and interesting.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 5705/22/2013

Item in paper said Barrow Street racks were moved across the street after a co-op building sued.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 5805/22/2013

Racks were installed in front of Midtown North Precinct on 54th near Eighth Avenue, replacing parking spaces for cops who drive in from the suburbs.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 5905/22/2013

Chicago tried this several years ago. It hemorrhaged money because there was no demand at the prices asked. So what are we planning this year? A MUCH BIGGER ROLLOUT!

Why? Because the federal government is paying for it.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 6005/22/2013

Maybe you could post a thread about it and then chime in every third post with lots of information that most people know, but that you've somehow laid claim to - there's always that.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 6105/22/2013

r61, you're forgetting that his knowledge of Hell's Kitchen comes from 30 year old back issues of "Daredevil".

It's painful watching VOTN repeatedly and enthusiastically assert himself as a New Yorker and then be shot down by lack of knowledge or understanding. Stop talking about how New York you are and start actually living in the city.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 6205/22/2013

Jesus, you people are nuts. VOTN is new to the city and has never come across as a know-it-all. Why are you pissing on his interest in his new city?

People are fuckign weird on this site. Just because someone has a "name" you have to gang up on them like school yard bullies. I honestly don't understand it.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 6305/22/2013

VOTN has been around DL long enough to not let petty shit like this bother him.

The bikes will be a flop though.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 6405/22/2013

They're a fucking eyesore, NYC was designed for commerce, it's not some bucolic European fishing village! It's for trucks & buses & cars, the bike lanes are already out of control and create a lot of confusion and accidents and take up a lot of traffic space!

by The Voice of the Nightreply 6505/22/2013

Why don't you people have cars or at least a car service. Rude.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 6605/22/2013

I have a feeling they're going to be inconvenient for the pedestrians too.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 6705/22/2013

I'm another huge fan of VOTN, you bitches are cruel.

I think the bike plan will work, I was in Paris last year and talk about traffic, it is like you've never seen. 5 lanes across each way, yikes. And bikes are in it. I am a biker type of person as well but that city scared me. But, as the other person said they were pretty well behaved in Paris.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 6805/22/2013

Put in tolls, price out the poor people, who should be on mass transit, and carry on. Simple solution.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 6905/22/2013

What are New Yorker friends need is a Sym Mio scooter.

You can get one used for under $1,000.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 7005/22/2013

yes i agree, it would only work if the cyclists here RESPECTED the pedestrians or the traffic lights/laws, like in Paris.

The cyclists here don't give a shit and they run red lights, go the wrong way, and curse at you if you're in their way. If a few of them gets killed or in serious accidents, I won't shed a tear for them.

As if we don't have enough traffic problems we gotta create more. And I also hate those crazy outdoor plazas in areas like times square, herald square with tables and chairs, who the fuck wants to sit there and inhale the yummy exhaust fumes? They should really get rid of stupid shit like that.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 7105/22/2013

Or Genuine Scooters if you want to buy American.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 7205/22/2013

Rumor - City of New York owes unpaid loans to Citibank. Bike deal creates revenue for the bank with free advertising and makes the city look like they're pro-Green.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 7305/22/2013

Like we said about Chicago, this is a federal subsidy which is causing all this kerfuffle.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 7405/22/2013

You didn't think Citicorp was going to take a risk did you? They only do that with billions and trillions in the futures markets.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 7505/22/2013

You people live like cavemen

by The Voice of the Nightreply 7605/22/2013

Police Sgt. says More Bikes, More Crashes.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 7705/23/2013

I was shocked that NYC put in bike lanes on 9th Ave in Hells Kitchen. Bikes are nice but on a major thoroughfare to the tunnel? Especially since there's more traffic on 9th since they cut off 7th Avenue to put up lawn chairs for tourists.

It will be perfectly fine if the bike thing goes well, but part of me is really sick of Bloomberg tinkering with the traffic. At one point he wanted all of 34th St to be pedestrian-only. The outcry was too great and even such a tin-eared megalomaniac such as he had to back down.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 7805/23/2013

NY is not built for bikes. Ed Koch tried this and it was a disaster.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 7905/23/2013

R46 - you were around when horses were used to get around NY?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 8005/23/2013

What do you expect from a bunch of shut-ins who rarely think outside the gay box, r46?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 8105/24/2013

[quote]I can't imagine anywhere more terrifying to cycle than NYC. Insanity.

Someone once tapped on my helmet with a gun because he was mad that I didn't let him roll up to the red light first. He said, "Your helmet won't protect you from this." Mid-80s.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 8205/24/2013

In NYC helmets are required if you're 14 or under.

BUT helmets are required for bikers making business deliveries. They must also wear a reflective vest with business name and phone number on the back. A friend's deli in the Village was fined. His employee didn't like wearing the helmet.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 8305/24/2013

The bikes have arrived. We are doomed.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 8405/25/2013

I am posting from my bike downtown!

Today is a bit chilly to be biking around, but I just can't wait.

The bikes are heavy and feels old fashioned.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 8505/25/2013

Poor people are being allowed to overrun a city the 1% should own. This proves it.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 8605/25/2013

What poor person is going to spend money to rent a bike when it's cheaper to walk or take mass transit.

The bikes are for the tourists/1%.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 8705/26/2013

Nothing brings out the sociopaths like a cycling thread. No wonder you bitches are so fat. Would you prefer that every cyclist was sitting in a car in front of you? Bikes free up road space.

You may now resume your bloviating.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 8805/26/2013

R82, Holy shit!

by The Voice of the Nightreply 8905/26/2013

BIkes will rule the world soon

by The Voice of the Nightreply 9005/26/2013

Bikes would be fine if there the city were more car-free. But until it is, this is a bad idea.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 9105/26/2013

Bumping for bike stories - did any of you bitches go biking yesterday on a CitiBike?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 9205/28/2013

[quote]Bikes would be fine if there the city were more car-free. But until it is, this is a bad idea.

Encouraging bicycles is a means of reducing car traffic. You have to start somewhere.

For me it will depend on how reliable the service is. If I plan on biking to an appointment but can't find a bike or there's no space to return a bike at my destination, I won't plan to use the service again.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 9305/28/2013

$75 for a year or $7 for a day, and you only get 30 minutes free. Where can you bike in 30 minutes that you wouldn't be better served walking? I mean, you have to obey the traffic lights, so you getting around town will still take a billion years.

Maybe over the Brooklyn Bridge, that's probably where they will have the heaviest use.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 9405/28/2013

I've ridden a bike in Manhattan. It is far faster than walking, usually faster than taking a bus. You have to wait for lights no matter how you travel, though walkers can cheat with impunity.

It's going to be very useful for getting crosstown. You can travel quite a bit in 30 minutes.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 9505/28/2013

[quote]They're a fucking eyesore, NYC was designed for commerce, it's not some bucolic European fishing village! It's for trucks & buses & cars, the bike lanes are already out of control and create a lot of confusion and accidents and take up a lot of traffic space!

You are fucking trash. Go back to where you came from.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 9605/28/2013

The flyover idiots don't seem to understand that this is meant as a transportation system not for people commuting to work not taking leisurely rides in the park.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 9705/28/2013

In fact the police have been ordered to seize the bikes from anyone who looks like a tourist.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 9805/28/2013

OP. Let's be real here. This is a business that should be profitable. To locate bikes north of central park is a losing proposition as most of the bikes will be vandalized or stolen within a week. The bike program is not a social welfare program supported by the taxes of hard working citizens.

Call it whatever you want, but it's reality. Pretending otherwise is absolutely ridiculous.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 10005/30/2013

That had to happen for drivers to begin the process of slowing down R99. The bike share people would say, "acceptable loss."

by The Voice of the Nightreply 10105/30/2013

Get bashed and die, racist at r100.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 10205/31/2013

It doesn't seem to be taking off, I walked by a number of stands in Soho area today that were completely full of bikes.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 10305/31/2013

I'm not a fan of this program at all, but there are numerous bikers in my office and have been for many years. Of the 60 or so people at my company, we have 8 or so regular (all weather) bikers.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 10405/31/2013

VOTN is the last vestige of datalounge that once was. Her mildly annoying posts now serve as the only remaining link to a place... no, a family... that came to be at the dawn of the information age.

We were datalounge. And now VOTN must carry our memories into this brave new century.

Godspeed and may the wind be at her back!

by The Voice of the Nightreply 10505/31/2013

R103, it's members' preview week. Let's see if more bikes are being ridden next week when they are available to all.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 10605/31/2013

Who knew NYers were such pussies?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 10706/03/2013

A lot of bikes being ridden yesterday. Passed a couple of racks that had only a few bikes available.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 10806/05/2013

The Daily Show mocks CitiBike opponents. The black guy from Bed-Stuy Madrigal interviews is hilarious. And Dorothy Rabinowitz is off-the-chain bananers.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 10906/08/2013

Holy shit! These bikes have Citibank logos on them?

Well, fuck that!

by The Voice of the Nightreply 11006/08/2013

Why are there no bikes in Harlem or the Bronx?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 11106/08/2013

The property value on that one building went from $22 million to $21 million. The nightmare. The nerve.

Note to self: avoid monied old ladies.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 11206/08/2013
Need more help? Click Here.