Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Is Maya Angelou an out lesbian or what?

I know she's a mean drunk. Friends in the book industry have worked with her and say she's the meanest.

by Anonymousreply 4005/28/2014

Gurl, nobody's been near Miss Maya's vajayjay since Nixon's first term.

by Anonymousreply 105/21/2013

Dayum, bitch.

by Anonymousreply 205/21/2013

I don't know about the mean part but my boyfriend waited on her at a hotel he worked at twenty years ago and he will confirm the drunk part.

by Anonymousreply 505/21/2013

I've heard that before, R3, and always from people who had nothing to gain from putting her down. She seems to enjoy being vile to people.

A friend worked for her book publisher. She and her co-workers had many stories to tell about Angelou.

by Anonymousreply 605/21/2013

^ "her" = "here"

by Anonymousreply 905/21/2013

The ebony fighter AWAKENS!

by Anonymousreply 1005/21/2013

And what do you think Colman Domingo will jhave to say about his idol?

by Anonymousreply 1105/21/2013

"Today on Craigslist, With Dr. Maya Angelou"

by Anonymousreply 1205/21/2013

R8 That is true. I'm looking for it now, but there was a video of one of her more slovenly classroom performances.

by Anonymousreply 1305/21/2013

I never cared for her smugness when dealing with Oprah. Hated how Oprah acted like she was some wise elder.

by Anonymousreply 1405/21/2013

But gurls,is she (an out) lesbian? THAT is the question here!

by Anonymousreply 1505/21/2013

She is one unattractive female.

by Anonymousreply 1605/21/2013

And the rest of the lesbians are all gorgeous??

by Anonymousreply 1705/21/2013

Wow...she look like fat Oprah when she was younger.

by Anonymousreply 1905/21/2013

Who reads poems except drunk lesbians?

by Anonymousreply 2005/21/2013

She does have physical beauty. Her face can stand on its own. No question. Black people often can't metabolize alcohol well. That's why she gets nasty when she drinks. Lots of drama, I'm sure.

Ice down those drinks, milady.

by Anonymousreply 2105/21/2013

I met Maya Angelou for like 2 minutes in the mid-70s when I worked briefly for the writer Jessica Mitford in the Berkeley area (north Oakland actually). Apparently Maya was a friend of "Decca's". I knocked at the door and she was leaving, and just came out the door as I knocked. I was quite struck by her absolutely dazzling, warm smile. She was really charismatic. (FWIW, I am a straight female and was not attracted to her.) She was known for a few books by us Berkeley types, but she wasn't famous to the general public at all at that time. But I was a fan, and told her so. She was really very nice and I would say seemed quite genuine. I think I have a good nose for phonies. I haven't liked her much when I've seen her on TV in recent years now that Oprah has turned into a sainted elder.

So anyway, back then when I encountered her, Maya was accompanied by a very good looking white guy of about her age (I think she would have been in her 40s then?) And she was wearing the turban thingy, like in the photo. So, at least then, mid-70s, I would assume she was straight. They were definitely a couple, visiting Jessica and her husband.

by Anonymousreply 2305/21/2013

Oprah looked like a fat Oprah when she was younger. I think what you meant to say is: "When she was young, she looked like Oprah at that age."

by Anonymousreply 2405/21/2013

I meant to say, now that Oprah has turned her (Maya A.) into a sainted elder. (Of course, Saint Oprah achieved her beatification ages ago.)

Maybe Maya turned lesbian after that, but she did date that hot guy and she had a son at a very early age (which she wrote about in her first book I think).

She's an old lady now--give her a little break. It ain't easy gettin' old.

by Anonymousreply 2505/21/2013

I've known a few people who had her as an instructor at Wake Forest.

None had nice things to say about her.

by Anonymousreply 2605/21/2013

Wait...Dr. Angelou has no college diploma, but teaches at Wake Forest University and wants to be called "doctor"? What gives?

by Anonymousreply 2705/21/2013

She carries a cane, Nuff said!

by Anonymousreply 2805/21/2013

This is all pretty well known, r29. She's held a professorship at WF for decades (I'm assuming she's still there). And she's no doubt got a ton of honorary degrees, from which I assume she takes the "Dr." title.

by Anonymousreply 3005/21/2013

Friends encountered her at a hotel bar and bought her Bourbon for a few rounds. At one point, unsolicited, she slowly pulled her glass down from her lips and whispered in a precise and clear tone, "Gayle is Oprah's 'special friend." She then smirked and put the glass back up to her lips and drank.

by Anonymousreply 3105/21/2013

r3 = Jodie Foster

by Anonymousreply 3205/21/2013

R23, was it Paul de Feu, Germaine Greer's ex? They were married at some point, around the time you refer to.

I'd be more interested to hear about Jessica Mitford than Maya Angelou.

by Anonymousreply 3305/22/2013

How would YOU react to being the subject of so many sarcastic claims that your books were worth reading?

by Anonymousreply 3505/22/2013

r33: I googled Paul de Feu--that's who it was. I always thought he was married to another feminist too (just couldn't remember who--kept thinking it was Gloria Steinem)--I knew I had seen his face in a magazine at the time.

I actually did gardening /landscaping in J. Mitford's back yard. I did talk to her a bit and she was sort of haughty and aristocratic in manner (as you might expect from a Mitford) but rather chatty even so. She gave me an autographed paperback of The American Way of Death, I think (or maybe a later book). I may still have it somewhere.

I remember her mentioning her sister, the Duchess of Devonshire. She was married (as I guess you know) to Robert Treuhaft, the radical lawyer and I met a son, who was probably late teens or so. It was a nice but not extraordinary Rockridge area style home--typical academic's house of the time. She sacked me after a couple of months because I worked too slow for her.

Recently I saw a special on the current Duke of Devonshire's house. The current duke (Decca's nephew) looks exactly like Decca. He must be around the age she was at the time I knew her (middle-60s maybe?). I got a kick out of that.

by Anonymousreply 3605/26/2013

Well she died today

by Anonymousreply 3705/28/2014

She was worried that she was one as a teenager... I think.

by Anonymousreply 3805/28/2014

R23, Maya Angelou was known to the general public in the 1970s.

R21, what generalizations - blacks metabolize as well or not well and anyone.

R22, you need professional help. Not even slightly funny.

by Anonymousreply 3905/28/2014

Jessica Mitford was a huge drunk.

by Anonymousreply 4005/28/2014
Need more help? Click Here.