Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

10 Worst Dinners to Feed Your Children!

Feeding your children fast and nutritious dinners can be impossible. You’re just back from work and you have to get them ready for sports and clubs with only a short break to eat. It can be easy to just cave and get them fast food on your way to their extracurricular activities.

Children can also be extremely picky with what they will eat for dinner. This is a particular issue for young children. Their taste buds are extremely sensitive and many adult flavors are not palatable. Children may also be scared of trying new things because they are different to their normal meals.

The fatty, salty flavors of fast food are widely popular in children. Unfortunately some of their favorite meals can be the most unhealthy. Here are 10 of the worst dinners you can feed your children.

1. Fried Chicken

Fried chicken is a popular dish for take out dinners. They advertise that the chicken is cooked at a high heat, preventing the oil from being absorbed. This may be true for the chicken meat, but the breading soaks up all the fat instead. Children love the crunch of the coating on chicken, but baking it keeps the crunch without all the fat. Also watch out for the gravy that is commonly served beside take away fried chicken.

by Debreply 4905/22/2013

My boomer parents definitely didn't have time for that shit during my childhood. Eat the food, an shut the fuck up.

by Debreply 105/21/2013

Well, they just described my weekly dinner menu.

by Debreply 205/21/2013

I always made sure to cook a healthy dinner when I got home form work. Yes, it can be tiresome sometimes but it is far more healthier than fast or processed foods. I also used to spend time on Saturday and Sunday cooking meals that would yield enough for leftovers, so I could reheat them quickly on weeknights. Parents these days are just plain LAZY.

by Debreply 305/21/2013

Except for the grilled cheese and tuna casserole, those are all sort of no-brainers, aren't they? What next, don't give your kids heroin and cocaine?

by Debreply 405/21/2013

10 worst ways to present a story:

#1 -- Slide show

by Debreply 505/21/2013

If you went to McD's, it was maybe for your birthday. Now? I know parents who cruise through the drive-thru at least 3 times per week.

by Debreply 605/21/2013

Can someone explain to me in detail what exactly the problem is with pizza, that it gets demonized so much?

Sure, a good pizza has a lot of cheese on it, and a uses white bread (although a good pizza crust should be thin, not bready), but if you use real cheese as opposed to "processed cheese product", I don't see how it's any unhealthier than a cheese sandwich. It even includes tomato sauce (anti-oxidants!) and maybe a mushroom or two.

Nobody makes a fuss about cheese sandwiches.

Seriously, I don't get the hysteria.

by Debreply 705/21/2013

What a fucking nag. Oh, and big surprise, processed food is bad for you.

by Debreply 805/21/2013

[quote]but it is far more healthier

And more better, right?

by Debreply 1005/21/2013

Let's see ...

My Yankee mom wouldn't know fried chicken if she fell over a box of some. We had boiled hot dogs on occasion (NOT a tasty way to prepare them). Frozen pizza every so often. Rarely did we have fast food at home, but where we lived at the time that wasn't a convenient option. Guilty on the grilled cheese, but at least she used Pepperidge Farm bread! We had fish sticks sometimes at school, rarely at home; they didn't have chicken nuggets back then. We did have frozen dinners regularly, usually if my parents were having dinner out later. Tuna casserole is just plain gross - I think I've had it once or twice.

Who the hell feeds kids fettucine alfredo???

by Debreply 1105/21/2013

r6, I see a line of cars at the McDonald's drive through everyday shortly after school gets out. I think moms take the kids there for a an afterschool snack. When I was a kid my after school snack was a piece of fruit, cheese and crackers, milk and two cookies or chocolate milk.

My parents always fed us decent dinners. I remember my mom tried Hamburger Helper when it first came out and my dad thought it was disgusting (I quite liked it) and made us all throw it in the garbage. We did NOT waste food in my house, so it truly had to be inedible to him. That was the last time we ever had anything like that!

My siblings with kids all feed them homemade dinners and pack their lunches for school, but they do eat more fast food than we ever did.

I have one friend with kids and I am appalled at what she feeds them. They are skinny now, but if they keep eating like that they are heading for trouble.

by Debreply 1205/21/2013

Here's a radical notion for parents: stop catering to your small child's limited, unformed tastes that favor salty, fatty, and sweet foods.

Stop asking them what they WANT to eat.

Serve good food that they should be eating.

If they refuse to eat it, don't offer alternatives.

In other words, eat what I give you. Or don't eat.

by Debreply 1305/21/2013

I have one friend whose kid will ONLY eat "buttered noodles," cheese, mac and cheese (only certain brands) and buttered bread. That's it. Nothing else. Sometimes she'll get wild and eat cheese pizza but rarely. If she eats meat it's only chicken nuggets. How this child got like this and doesn't have terminal scurvy, I'll never know.

by Debreply 1405/21/2013

When I was a child, we had soup/stew for diner with a whole wheat roll or that thin, European whole grain bread. Sometimes, we had cheese as well. "Dessert" was fruit.

We also ate very early (5:30? 6:00?), and we were in bed by the time my parents had dinner. There was definitely a distinction made between "nursery food" and adult food. Not that we had a nursery or anything.

I can't remember when we were first allowed to go to a restaurant, but I *do* remember not being allowed to go to a restaurant. My parents were big believers in "you are too young..." by the time we were allowed to do whatever it was, we were aware that this was a very special event and we were not to fuck it up.

by Debreply 1505/21/2013

R15 -- we, too, ate at 6:00. However, in New Jersey I believe there's a state law mandating that - ha ha!

by Debreply 1605/21/2013

R15, is 5:30 or 6:00 considered early? When I was growing up, supper was at 5:00. We maybe had a snack later in the evening, but usually not.

Even now, I don't like eating a meal later than 7:00.

by Debreply 1705/21/2013

When we were small children, we were fed early and put to bed before our parents ate dinner around 9:00. As each of us was deemed to be old enough, we began eating with our parents.

by Debreply 1805/21/2013

You know DL has hit the skids when you start seeing posts that begin with "when I was a kid".

by Debreply 1905/21/2013

What are you talking about R19? I would hope there would be no actual kids around here.

by Debreply 2005/21/2013

Wow, hitting the drive-thru for an after school snack? That's crazy, when I was a kid, my after school snack was a few cookies or some cheese and crackers. You know, SNACKS. Not a burger. And then I went out to play, not sit at home playing video games or watching TV. What is wrong with people?

My little cousin is 10 years old and overweight. Her mother expresses concern about the kids weight, and I said something about the fact that she keeps tons of packages of cookies and chips around the house. She got all defensive and said "don't try to blame me, I watch what she eats but it's hard". Well, obviously you don't, she's 10 years old, is she doing her own grocery shopping? They shop at Costco and there's always a huge array of snack food in their house. When I was a kid, we had one package of cookies and one bag of chips at a time. They have almost the entire snack aisle in their kitchen, and I'm not exaggerating. Christ, at least buy the 100 calorie bags or something. If your 10 year old is overweight, yeah, the parents have a LOT to do with it.

by Debreply 2105/21/2013

[quote]is 5:30 or 6:00 considered early? When I was growing up, supper was at 5:00.

Did your dad not work? How could he be home at 5:00 for dinner. Frankly, I think being home by 5:30 or 6:00 is unbelievable if you have a job.

by Debreply 2205/22/2013

Kids are not "snacking" at McDonalds. Relax.

by Debreply 2305/22/2013

Whew! I thought they were. Good to know.

by Debreply 2405/22/2013

You're welcome.

by Debreply 2505/22/2013

R22, my dad was a carpenter and was always home before 5. I think this expectation of working late comes from the prevalence of office jobs and white collar work and the decrease in union/trades jobs where shifts are earlier.

by Debreply 2605/22/2013

R22, the fact that the poster used the word "supper" rather than dinner is a tip off. "Supper" is almost exclusively used in agrarian communities. The rest of the country has breakfast, lunch, and dinner, unless you are very old money. In which case, supper is a very late night meal (10:00 or later) that one has after the opera or about midway through a formal ball.

by Debreply 2705/22/2013

R28, as a gay parent, I can tell you that the advice on DL is often a heck of a lot better than I-Village, etc. When the guys and gals here are not being snarky and vicious, they usually take a more common sense approach to raising children. They certainly do not believe in coddling or overprotecting the little darlings.

by Debreply 2905/22/2013

I am also a gay parent, R29, but do not see the need for a gay gossip site to focus on the nutritional value of mac and cheese. I come here to further my understanding of borderline personality disorder.

by Debreply 3005/22/2013

I don't fry meat anymore. Or bake it. I boil it. Seriously, it's better.

by Debreply 3105/22/2013

I sun-dry mine

by Debreply 3205/22/2013

My co-worker feeds her grandkids Nothing but chicken nuggets. You can see what happens to these kids right after they eat the greasy nuggets, skip the apple, and go for the chockolate milk and fries. It is really scary! Such beautiful little girls, and then they turn into demon spawn. It truly is frightening. We always ate well, and to this day, salad is my dessert of choice. We were taught you would get "rickets" if you ate poorly~ ugh!

by Debreply 3305/22/2013

Why do kids only want to eat fatty food?

by Debreply 3405/22/2013

And then if R13's kids won't eat the three radishes and the tofuburger he puts in front of them, they have to sit at the table until they do eat them. "Goddammit, you'll eat what I tell you, you little bitches."

by Debreply 3505/22/2013

R34 My mom used to buy 5lb crocks of butter. When I was around 4 - 6 years old I used to eat it like ice cream with a big spoon.

R35 I bet she serves that tofuburger rare and does not let them throw it away and keeps serving the same rare tofuburger it day after day until maggots are crawling on it. And then finally one day she realizes that little Christina won't back down on this one and dramatically throws it out.

by Debreply 3605/22/2013

I disagree with some of the choices for "10 Worst Dinners." The author may be hysterical (a distinct possibility) misinformed about things like fried chicken, or it's possible she was taught things about food that have been debunked. The tablespoon of butter used to make the white sauce in a tuna casserole is spread out over eight servings. That's hardly a fatbuster. The amount of cheese in half of a grilled cheese sandwich is not going to destroy a child's health, although it would have made more sense for her to espouse real cheese instead of processed.

Even Cooking Light (link below) has instructions for deep frying so there's little fat absorption.

by Debreply 3705/22/2013

Thank you r5. Like Im going to click through that shit.

Im sure this thread will have 500 replies soon. You bitches are OBSESSED with what people eat.

by Debreply 3805/22/2013

R22: My dad worked in Manhattan as a federal civil servant, so was off at 5:00, home to New Jersey between 6:00 and 6:30. Other dads worked locally (there was a huge Bell Labs facility not far away for example), and the traffic back in the 60s/70s wasn't anything like it is today.

My folks didn't keep much in the way of cookies/chips around (although I digress that later we did subscribe to the Charles Chips delivery service, kind of like a milkman only snack food instead), so my mom would have noticed had we started raiding the limited supply. Heck, I think we had one bottle of soda pop in the house at a time, and that was STRICTLY for the rare times we had frozen pizza, as even my folks thought milk with pizza was gross.

During the summer, at the beach, my friends and I were given money for one (1) popsicle daily from the snack bar by our folks, period.

Even had fast food been available locally, which it really wasn't until I was in high school, my mom would've considered it more work to have to drive over there to get it than to just throw a chicken in the oven instead.

by Debreply 3905/22/2013

New Providence, R39?

by Debreply 4005/22/2013

My boyfriend and I are foster parents and very rarely feed the kids the things off that list, except grilled cheese, but we use real cheese and wheat bread as our rationalization. I don't think that it's that hard to feed kids healthy food that tastes good. Most weeks we spend a lot of the day on Sunday pre-preparing as much as we can the dinners for the week that way no matter how tired we are dinner is already at least halfway done. During the warmer months we grill a lot and have a lot of grilled fresh vegetables too. It's not hard to feed kids healthy food, you just need to think ahead and be able to ignore the whining for junk food.

I've noticed with friend's with kids that they give in to their kids when they want junk food. Seems too often that the kids are deciding what they're going to eat instead of the parents.

by Debreply 4105/22/2013

R40 -- we lived in Chatham, but yes, Bell labs in Murray Hill was what I meant.

by Debreply 4205/22/2013

I agree with R37, the author of this article sounds like a nut.

by Debreply 4305/22/2013

R41 -- I'm curious, how many kids do you have?

by Debreply 4405/22/2013

I do the same thing as R41. At first it was a huge pain in the ass but by the third week I was loving coming home and having the majority of dinner already done. It's especially good during the colder months when I can make soups, stews and pasta sauces and proportion them out so all I had to do was make a salad and heat up the food.

No excuse but laziness for feeding kids processed junk.

by Debreply 4505/22/2013

Who the fuck is this cunt? I hope she has sons named Lyle and Eric.

by Debreply 4605/22/2013

R41, right now we have 3 foster kids ages 7, 9 and 11 and one non-official foster kid .He was our first foster kid and has been with us since he was 7. He turned 18 and aged out of the foster care system over the winter and there was no way we could just pack up his bags and send him out the door knowing he'd be another homeless teen ager.

A big part of why we started doing most of the weeks cooking on Sunday was because we had to make sure the kids got fed at a decent time. Even when we’d start dinner the minute we walked in the door dinner wasn’t hitting the table some nights till 7:30-8:00pm and with the younger ones going to bed at 9 it just wasn’t working, so too often we were doing fast food, or the pre-made dinners from our grocery store deli. This way dinner is usually done around 5:30-6pm and we have more time with the kids helping with home work and spending time doing fun stuff.

by Debreply 4705/22/2013

All things in moderation. And the last one on that list, tuna casserole, is a hoot. Time to turn off the food Nazis.

by Debreply 4805/22/2013

[quote]Why do kids only want to eat fatty food?

Why do kids only want to eat carbs? We can answer that one easily. That's America's biggest problem. That stupid food pyramid the government still pushes has made people as big as a house.

The reason why people crave these foods is because America is made up largely of very unhappy people. Carbs boost your serotonin, which make you feel happier. Why do you think the country is on so many anti-depressants? Americans are overworked and underpaid. No one has time to do anything else. They can't cook meals because they don't have the time.

I also believe that constant advertisement also contributes to a lot of poor eating habits. There's constant subliminal messaging. The government really should step in, but of course they won't because they're bought by corporations.

Parents are the root cause of bad eating habits.

Another thing: going to McDonald's for a treat or for a birthday is child abuse. That's completely fucked up. McDonald's is not suppose to be a "treat." Food should never be a treat. When you start putting entertainment value into food, it fucks with a child's brain which lasts them through adulthood.

You know what we should do, we should force everyone to sit down and watch where their foods comes from, from the slaughtering, to all the chemicals and other horseshit they inject into it. That would change a lot of people.

I still laugh at the "soda ban." What a stupid concept.

by Debreply 4905/22/2013
Need more help? Click Here.