Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Neighbor disturbing the peace with loud noise all day - police won't act

Can someone start a thread for me? I am having a serious neighbor problem and the police are refusing to enforce the law. And I really do not know what to do. I am stuck here and very sick and being assaulted with nonstop eardrum bursting noise 6-8 hours a day and this has been going on for 6 weeks and I'm losing my mind from stress and agitation and the noise and sleep deprivation at this point. He also tresspassed, refused to leave and recorded me without my knowledge or consent today. He seems to have some sort of in with the police who suggested that a "compromise" would be me shutting up and suffering through it all summer. One of the officers likened week upon week upon week of nonstop banging clanging and machines so loud I had to to scream the top of my lungs 3 times before I was heard to being equivalent to briefly driving past a noisy truck or over a pot hole. And another officer claimed no one has ever been cited for a noise violation ever and that he refused to admit my decibel recordings as evidence. The neighbor tried to bully my 74 year old mother and he plans to turn what has been a 1 family house neighboring a retired senior, another senior couple, a young couple with a baby, another 30 something couple and myself, the bed ridden invalid, into basically a frat house into which he is planning, as he told me, to cram as many college kids as he can. Do you have any suggestions? I'm on the verge of a nervous breakdown from exhaustion and pain and frustration.

by Anonymousreply 17402/20/2014

Thank you thread donation fairy. Do any of you have any idea what I can do to make this stop?

by Anonymousreply 105/21/2013

OP, do you know the zoning laws for your neighborhood? What your neighbor is proposing to do may be illegal.

As for the noise issue, if the cops are of no help, have you considered contacting one of your local news stations? I know that seems dramatic, but, given your condition, I think you would make a compelling story. In my neck of the woods, local news stations and newspapers usually have segments/articles on vulnerable people who have been left without recourse in neighborhood disputes. Usually the reporter tries to get the person some justice (in other words, make the police or authorities actually do their job). The publicity might force the police to take your complaint seriously.

I'm so sorry this happened to you and your neighborhood. No one should have to live like that.

by Anonymousreply 205/21/2013

Can you take up a collection with your neighbors and hire some "personal protection" to go beat the shit out of this guy? Have them pay special attention to his ears so listening to music won't be a consideration in the future.

by Anonymousreply 405/21/2013

R2, according to this weird little guy down the street who is part of the neighborhood group and has already run into problems with the neighbor over him leaving his trash cans out for weeks on end, it is unfortunately legal for him to pack the place with 5 tenants. This guy reports people for code violations just sort of as a hobby it seems so I'm assuming he'd know.

The feel good justice news story could work I just feel really uncomfortable about putting myself out there like that. Have you ever done something like that?

by Anonymousreply 505/21/2013

The neighbors all want to have a it down with him but their main concern is the students not the daily noise as it is not happening outside their bedroom window and they are not essentially bed bound. Also, I'm not sure 3 seniors, a fragile invalid and a milquetoast couple with baby are going to intimidate the jackass who tried to intimidate my 74 year old mother by announcing he was a marine and you can go ahead and call the cops but I've already spoken with them and they assured me they would not cite me for any noise violations or bring out a decibel reader.

This has the moron "infanty" man's linkedin page:

by Anonymousreply 605/21/2013

I think you're in the Marines now, soldier! Ten-hut!

by Anonymousreply 705/21/2013

I've never done anything like that, OP, and I completely understand your reluctance to put yourself out there. Maybe you could convince some of your neighbors to join in with you. I can't think of anything more sympathetic than a person with health issues, senior citizens and a young couple with a baby being bullied by a nightmare neighbor. (Not to make light of it, but any veterans on your block? Add him or her to the mix and you've got perfect local news catnip.)

Find out if there is a reporter who does this kind of story and then mention the idea to your neighbors. Even if they aren't interested, I would still consider doing it. It might solve the problem outright or maybe you will be put in touch with someone who will be able to offer you greater assistance. The spotlight might be uncomfortable, but could it be any worse than dealing with your asshole neighbor?

by Anonymousreply 805/21/2013

Oh shit, HE'S a veteran. Or is he ("Infanty"? Really?)? Do you know for sure he served? It might be worth it to verify his service. If he is a faker, there are a number of veteran organizations that will be happy to make his life hell.

by Anonymousreply 905/21/2013

How do you find out if someone is really a vet? He's a big psychopathic jerk with a high and tight so he looks and acts the part anyway.

by Anonymousreply 1005/21/2013

It might be tough to do if you don't have his SSN, but the article at the link offers some tips.

by Anonymousreply 1105/21/2013

OP: it is recognised in Common Law (google for definition) that every citizen has the right to enjoy their home without disturbance by others. So a case can be mounted simply on that alone.

Your city and your state will have additional laws against nuisance noise. If you're no good at googling, contact the citizens advice bureau for your state and they will tell you what they are and what you can do.

Most importantly, you have contacted the police. So there is a record. Phone the police again when there is another incident and get officers out there. You're creating a record trail that will be useful in prosecution of the offender.

by Anonymousreply 1205/21/2013

What is he doing that creates all of that noise?

by Anonymousreply 1305/21/2013

I'm not being flippant - MOVE. Unless it's an old family home or you have major money tied up in the place, if it's making you sick find some other place. By now you've built up so much anger about this that nothing short of the guy's death will work, so take this opportunity to shake up your life a little, and maybe find a place where you're a bit happier - because it doesn't sound like you're a big fan of the place, even without the asshole neighbor.

by Anonymousreply 1405/21/2013

What is he doing to make all of this noise? Building? Revving motorcycles? Loud music?

If he's building or renovating, does he have a permit?

We need a few more details.

Fwiw, I lived by a noisy neighbor who built cabinetry all day/ night in his basement. I finally moved. He was a nice guy. Just loud!

by Anonymousreply 1505/21/2013

I'm not sure why we needed the linked-in information. What was that about OP?

You are vague about what the noise is and you haven't mentioned how long he's lived there as opposed to you. But you give us his info in an instant.

by Anonymousreply 1605/21/2013

I take it by the guy's profile you live in Cincinnati? FOR GOD'S SAKE, GET THE FUCK OUT!

by Anonymousreply 1705/21/2013

Let me translate for those of you who got lost in the OP's initial tl/dr post. OP lives with his 74 year old mom, who may or not be bedridden. There are other elderly neighbors.

New neighbor is in the midst of what sounds like serious construction to turn his residence into a house suitable for five tenants.

A frat house, OP says.

I cannot imagine where OP lives that would not require permits, have zoning laws, noise laws etc.

Also, new neighbor is a Marine, which seems to have given OP a thrill.

by Anonymousreply 1805/21/2013

OP, if you are disabled then contact a group near you that advocates for the disabled. They'll have a better idea of how to raise some legal hell on your behalf.

You are entitled to the peaceful enjoyment of your property. If the noise is preventing you from doing that for extended periods of time, you should be able to seek relief.

by Anonymousreply 1905/21/2013

I have a very noisy neighbor overhead and it was driving me crazy but there wasn't much I could do, I complained but the guy just didn't get it. I moved into my bedroom and when the guy is home, I pretty much live in that bedroom. At least he isn't giving me a headache every evening and I'm not getting so angry. I have a two bedroom apartment but my middle bedroom keeps me away from another noisy neighbor. You might have to make your living room, your bedroom. I say, whatever might save you from being stressed. Have you thought of a lawsuit over stress, which makes your health worse? Of course you'll have to prove it.

by Anonymousreply 2005/21/2013

R18, OP's Mom is mobile; OP him/herself is bedridden. I caught no hint that the man being a vet gave the OP a thrill. Stop being a jerk.

by Anonymousreply 2105/21/2013

As an initial step, let me suggest the following. Contact a lawyer and have her draft a letter to your neighbor complaining about the noise and pointing out the law regarding nuisance. Send it registered mail. The letter should begin with the following words, in capital letters: "BE HEREWITH INFORMED."

This letter has absolutely no legal consequences, but it is usually sufficient to scare the living bejeezus out of malefactors.

If this doesn't work, you're probably going to have to spend some real money if the cops won't help you.

by Anonymousreply 2305/21/2013

Could you call an elected official and ask them for help? Is the police chief elected in your town?

by Anonymousreply 2405/21/2013

The OP is rather scattered, but if the neighbor is performing legal construction, there is little or nothing that he can do. The law sides with those who make money, and construction makes money.

by Anonymousreply 2505/21/2013

Poor OP- sound nuts to me.

by Anonymousreply 2605/21/2013

[quote]have you considered contacting one of your local news stations? I know that seems dramatic...

I don't think OP will have any difficulty with 'dramatic'

by Anonymousreply 2705/21/2013

Ooooooh, Quentin Roberts got Momma's mussy BUZZING like a DRONE!

by Anonymousreply 2805/21/2013

I got lost in these woods.

[quote] The neighbor tried to bully my 74 year old mother and he plans to turn what has been a 1 family house neighboring a retired senior, another senior couple, a young couple with a baby, another 30 something couple and myself, the bed ridden invalid, into basically a frat house into which he is planning, as he told me, to cram as many college kids as he can.

by Anonymousreply 2905/21/2013

Total brain dump R29.

by Anonymousreply 3005/21/2013

R12, we printed out the noise ordinances which include the right to not be disturbed on one's property one and the cops refused to enforce it, insisting it only applied to late night party music despite the ordinance having no mention of music, parties, time of day, number of people or anything else that would confine it to party music. They simply refused to enforce the law.

by Anonymousreply 3105/21/2013

R13, he is renovating the house to turn a 3 bedroom house into a 5 bedroom house so he can cram as many college kids s he can fit into it. But they decided to do all their work outside and instead of doing it in the driveway or front yard are doing it on the far left of their parking lot (which used to be a back yard before the old man who owned the place for 50 years paved over it because he was tired of mowing) which is the nearest to my property and directly below my bedroom window.

by Anonymousreply 3205/21/2013

R14, it is an old family home and I am in no condition to move --- again! I was living in LA and had to leave to come back here in October because I am too sick to take care of myself and my mother lives across the street with her partner and so is able to help me out. She has owned my house for 26 years and co-owned the one across the street with her partner for 14 years. Quent bought the place next door in the fall.

by Anonymousreply 3305/21/2013

R15, I couldn't even tell you what some of the machines are. One day he had a kid wandering the alley between our houses completely spaced out for 45 minutes with a leaf blower despite there being absolutely no leaves. They drop a lot of metal pipes one after the other after the other on the asphalt. Electric saws. Sledge hammers. A guy I presume was his father was out there one day for two hours basically punching and hammering a door he'd put in the back of his pickup instead of just lifting it and moving it to where he wanted it to be. And hammering hammering hammering hammering hammering hammering hammering hammering hammering.

by Anonymousreply 3405/21/2013

Burn his house down!

by Anonymousreply 3505/21/2013

What kind of government does your locality have? You and your neighbors should collectively pressure your local representative or mayor to do something. Maybe there are others in your town who are suffering from lax enforcement of noise regulations.

by Anonymousreply 3605/21/2013

OP, while this situation is unfortunate for you and I don't blame you for hating the noise, people are allowed to renovate their homes. As long as this guy's doing his construction work during normal, daylight, business hours when most people up and about--not trying to sleep and probably not even home--I understand why the police won't make him stop. Major renovations are noisy process, and you can't very tell somebody he's just not allowed to renovate, ever, because he happens to have a sick neighbor who's in bed all day.

by Anonymousreply 3705/21/2013

Call your city councilman's office and tell them that the police are refusing to do anything.

Watch how quickly things change.

by Anonymousreply 3805/21/2013

OP sounds nuts. Home get renovated and it makes noise. That is a fact of life when you live is close proximity in a neighborhood. The noise will stop when the job is done.

I think there is more to this story- mental illness perhaps. Cops are not inforcing the law because there is no law to be inforced.

by Anonymousreply 3905/21/2013

R20 it seriously is making my health worse. I was up all night til 6am with excruciating pain that nothing could knock out, I couldn't sit, stand, kneel, lie on my sides or back, etc. just there was no position to be in that wasn't excruciating. The stress and exhaustion are factually destroying what's left of my health and threatening my life.

I am not legally disabled as they told me I did not have enough work credits to be on regular disability despite the SSI office having my birthday wrong and I declined to go on the lessor disability because I would have had to sell my car and everything else I own and would not be able to live in this house or my mother's house and would be required to basically live an abject poverty to get $200 a month. Any asset or aid you have including living with a friend or family member for free or low rent is deducted from what they are willing to give you.

by Anonymousreply 4005/21/2013

Have you tried ear plugs?

by Anonymousreply 4105/21/2013

R23, I'll have to look around for lawyers who do pro-bono stuff. My mom's tax attorney was of no help when the moving company broke all my shit and refused to pay for it despite the insurance policy.

R24, my friend's father suggested going to a city council meeting but I don't think I would be able to sit for that long. And I'm not sure about your second question as I've only been back here since October but I think he is for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 4205/21/2013

[quote] Cops are not inforcing the law because there is no law to be inforced.

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 4305/21/2013

OP, if the local police are so corrupt they ignore you and ignore upholding the laws they are sworn to uphold, you need to go to the State level. Contact the State Police or your state's Attorney General. Also try the county Sheriff, but they are probably just as corrupt as the local police. Also try the District Attorney's office.

Best suggestion is to go to the media. It looks like the only way to get through to him is to shame him in public and to do that you need the media's help.

You're going to have to take some proactive, drastic action here, OP. If you don't, for whatever reasons, you're no longer entitled to complain.

by Anonymousreply 4405/21/2013

[quote] OP, while this situation is unfortunate for you and I don't blame you for hating the noise, people are allowed to renovate their homes. As long as this guy's doing his construction work during normal, daylight, business hours when most people up and about--not trying to sleep and probably not even home--I understand why the police won't make him stop.

Most municipalities have laws dictating between what hours construction work is allowed to take place, depending on the zoning of a particular neighborhood. The OP just might have a case if the neighbor is doing work outside of those hours.

by Anonymousreply 4505/21/2013

[all posts by tedious troll removed.]

by Anonymousreply 4605/21/2013

Lawyer and/or R38's suggestion.

Best of all is to move, however. This isn't going to end up well for anyone.

by Anonymousreply 4705/21/2013

R36, the other neighbors including the husband in that couple apparently go to local bitching meetings of some sort to complain about issues like this but his description of the meetings didn't make it clear it to me whether they actually got anything changed because of this or just left off steam.

He and the others however do want to have a meeting with Q about his plans to turn the place into a frat house.

The only thing the cops did yesterday was tell him to stop recording people without their consent. The female cop seemed completely unable to understand that he was not working on the physical outside of his house but working outside of his house in the area closest to my property for absolutely no reason other than being an inconsiderate dickhead. Finally she seemed to get it and asked if they had to be there because of an outlet at which point I volunteered to give them an extension cord. The cop I spoke to later to find out if they had agreed to move the machines was belligerent with me and claimed that no one ever has ever been cited for a noise violation which is an absolute lie and he said it with the implication that Q would definitely not be the first.

by Anonymousreply 4805/21/2013

Can you buy some earplugs then think about moving OP?

by Anonymousreply 4905/21/2013

R39, this is the law:

[quote] No person shall create noise or sound, or permit the creation of noise or sound in such a manner as to disturb the peace and quiet of a neighborhood, having due regard for the proximity of places of residence, hospitals or other residential institutions and to any other conditions affected by such noise.

by Anonymousreply 5005/21/2013

OP; Is there a local gay organization that could advise you? Some of us could very well be in your kind of situation when we get old. Where I live, there are gay agencies who wouldn't stand for that bully's assault on the elderly. You paid your taxes, and deserve the right to live in peace.

Those police are supposed to be public servants. Did you contact the mayor after the police fail?

You only have the bully's word that he is a marine.

by Anonymousreply 5105/21/2013

OP, I know you shouldn't have to do this, but I would just move. Sometimes it's best to just start over so you can have some peace.

by Anonymousreply 5205/21/2013

I feel you, OP.

I live in a condo and pay a hefty monthly condo fee.

This past winter, on a Friday night, it snowed. At 11:30PM, the contractors come in with snow blowers. This droning racket goes on until 1:00AM.

I complained, and was told the contractor needed to get the work done and he did it as quickly as possible before daylight. Never mind the next day was Saturday and most people didn't have to go to work.

Too bad for me.

by Anonymousreply 5305/21/2013

OP, I'm afraid the cops are right -- your neighbor is certainly entitled to renovate his home, and that does make noise. As long as confines it to daylight hours, he's in the right.

I had a disabled friend who was confined to her house and she had similar complaints about her neighbor. I was visiting her one day and she was complaining about the constant noise that day -- but I wouldn't even have noticed it if she hadn't brought it up. I think some people are more sensitive to that kind of noise than others -- and having to put up with it all day every day for weeks on end makes it all the worse. My friend and her husband eventually took their neighbor to court -- I don't know what they sued for -- but they lost.

Can you move your bedroom (or bed) to another part of the house, at least?

by Anonymousreply 5405/21/2013

R51, this is Cincinnati. And I'm only 32. Just very sick.

They've actually been quiet so far today. I don't know if that means the female cop actually did something useful when she went back to them after the extension cord discussion or if they just haven't thought up anything annoying to do yet today.

I can't find any info on this guy at all beyond that he owns the house and the misspelled linkedin page. While my mom was out gardening a few weeks ago she ran into his girlfriend's mom who is apparently a real estate agent which explains him buying this house, but that's all I know other than the lady thinks he's a great guy despite all evidence to the contrary. And they live way far out so will not have to deal with any of the problems their teenage tenants are going to cause.

by Anonymousreply 5605/21/2013

R54, he's violating both the decibel regulations and the law I posted above. So, no, you're wrong and I'm not your friend. And the construction ordinances apply to commercial construction not home renovation.

by Anonymousreply 5705/21/2013

I would be more concerned about the potential for future noise if that's going to be a frat house of sorts.

If you have no recourse, I'd recommend ear plugs as well. The ones that protect against the highest decibel readings. I did this when I lived in a place with paper-thin floors and it made a huge difference. They rescued me and preserved my sanity at times.

by Anonymousreply 5805/21/2013

Are you certain of that R57? In my area construction is exempt from decibel regulations, including home construction.

Also, just to be picky, what he is doing is "renovation", not "construction". And that difference in wording can make all the difference as to how the law is applied.

OP, I suggest you calm down and remember that "there is no right or wrong, only points of law." Before you get too worked up, you need to know what HIS rights are. He may be as annoying as hell, he may even be INTENTIONALLY as annoying as hell, but as long as he is within his rights, you just need to grin and bear it.

I am curious how he is allowed to get away with this renovation. Does your community have particularly lax rules because it is near a university? Generally, communities have laws regarding the number of adults who can live in a home, and the amount of property that is allowed to be paved.

by Anonymousreply 5905/21/2013

[quote]Most municipalities have laws dictating between what hours construction work is allowed to take place, depending on the zoning of a particular neighborhood. The OP just might have a case if the neighbor is doing work outside of those hours.

The OP has said that the work goes on for only 6-8 hours a day, so I'm betting it's during business hours. And while the renovations would seem to violate the law OP cited at r50, that law would pretty much prevent any kind of renovation/construction work from happening in his neighborhood at any time, and that just does not seem plausible.

I'm not doubting that the ordinance exists, but I can see why it's not enforced for ordinary, daylight-hours home renovations. I would imagine that when the cops keep telling OP no one's ever been cited for a noise violation that's what they mean--no one doing noisy renovations during normal, daylight hours has been cited. I'm sure they'd be willing to cite somebody who was renovating at 3AM, or throwing a raucous party.

Not everything we find bothersome or upsetting is against the law, and people can't be prevented from doing work on their houses at any time, ever, just because a sick person lives on their street. OP will likely have to suck it up until the construction is finished.

Or, OP, if your mother lives across the street, and this construction is happening beneath your bedroom window, why don't you stay at your mom's house while it's going on? Might still be kind of noisy, but it's bound to be better than having the work going on directly below your window,

by Anonymousreply 6005/21/2013

I live in a neighborhood of 48 homes in a vacation area. I listen to construction noise every day. Someone is always adding on, putting in a deck, a swimming pool, a patio and now I've got a DL unfavorite celebrity putting in a bunch of huge buildings on a 10 acre lot and a builder who is putting up a dozen homes circling said-celebrity's property.

The only thing I can do is make sure they start their noise and end their noise at the proper time according to local noise ordinances. That's 8 am and 8pm.

You need to go to your town hall or local library and ask how you find out about local noise ordinances. If your neighbor is violating the ordinance and police refuse to do anything about it, first inform you local town board that the neighbor is violating noise ordinances and police will not tell him to obey the law.. I would also ask the zoning board about whether or not your neighbor can make a single family home into a residence housing multiple tenants who are unrelated to each other.

If nothing is done, it's time to write to your congressional rep and the state senator who is most tied to your district (here in Nay we have an upstate senator and a downstate senator) and inform them of your concern, telling them you have notified your town board and did not receive any solution from them.

And that's about it.

Don't bother with your local news outlet. They don't give a shit about neighborhood squabbles over noise. These suggestions come from 65 year olds who remember when news outlets covered things like that.

by Anonymousreply 6105/21/2013

Something similar was in the news recently here in NY. An Asian guy had bought several houses in a Long Island suburb, his intention was the same as OP's neighbor, he had already started rented out the houses to college students, he was basically running illegal boarding houses. The houses were all on the same block and longtime home owners on the same block, of one family houses, saw what was going on.

Many of the neighbors were complaining about the non-stop daily noise, overflowing garbage cans and a bunch of other disturbances. Apparently the Asian guy thought he could do whatever he wanted, he was heavily fined and told to get the extra tenants out. IIRC, he was told he could rent his single family homes to a family or one or two roommates, but he was not allowed to make them into frat or boarding houses.

It's amazing how much crap people think they can get away with.

OP's story points to this Marine possibly paying off the police department to ignore what's going on.

Besides this house possibly not being zoned to do the construction and turn this home into what is essentially a boarding house, how about also finding out if the students moving in will have valid leases or is this Marine getting paid in cash? It also sounds like this might be a revolving door situation, with students who are not getting along, then easily moving out because they don't have legal leases. You will even have more problems if that is the case!

This happened to the small house a relative sold in Jackson Heights Queens, the man who bought their home then filled it with students, he essentially turned the one family house into a boarding house, he was fined.

The elderly woman next to the house contacted her local politicians who were able to help. It's pretty hard not to miss a small one family house being over loaded with people and the four cars in the outside parking area where normally only two cars would fit! The weekend barbecues, which the old woman was used to, turned into over-the-top super loud parties of 25+ people crammed into a very small backyard.

The laws are on the books, it's called "The Quiet Enjoyment of One's Home" or something like that.

As others here have suggested, call a local TV station or local politicians, find out if this douchebag Marine is going to give his renters legal leases, that could be a stumbling block to this guy's idea of filling up the house with students. At least you might be able to stop him from renting to all those people.

Good Luck!

by Anonymousreply 6205/21/2013

I feel for you, OP; I really do. I've been in your situation more than once (Just without the ill health). I'll outline a couple of suggestions:

Record everything. Every conversation you have with him, not just audio but video as well; even if the camera is off to the side. (If your state is a two party state, he must be made aware of the recording for it to be admissible as evidence in court.) Record every incident of noise. If you don't already have one and you're desperate, decent cameras can be found cheaply on epay and elsewhere online.

Don't bother with the Cops unless he threatens you.(If you do call the cops tell them you're fearing for your life and you want to have contact with an officer) If he has or does threaten you or anyone else, file charges immediately; you can call the Cops, but they'd likely just blow you off (It would however provide a chain of evidence); I would suggest you go down to the station and speak with the desk Sergeant. Also consider filing a 'no contact' order against him (I would only suggest this if he threatens you outright).

Try to get your neighbors involved, things always proceed a little easier if one can present a united front.

I do have one question. What makes you believe he 'has an in' with the Cops? I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just curious as to what has led you to believe this to be the case.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck.

by Anonymousreply 6305/21/2013

Move your bed out of the room nearest the neighbor. Sleep on the living room sofa during the day.

Get ear plugs at the drug store. Try several types to find which works best.

Soft background music will help mask the construction sounds.

by Anonymousreply 6405/21/2013

R62, why on Earth does it matter that the perpetrator was Asian?

by Anonymousreply 6505/21/2013

R84, you are quite silly.

The noise of construction is not at all muffled by ear plugs or soft background music.

by Anonymousreply 6605/21/2013

I wonder if the owner of the house in Hempstead, NY, where the cop shot the college student who was being held hostage by a robber, got cited for renting that house out to 5-7 girls. It was a basic, not very big one family suburban tract house.

The reason why the robber was able to enter the home was because so many people were living there and having their boyfriends over, that there were constant comings and goings from the house, so the door was unlocked. The girls tried to cover up this gross safety neglect by claiming the door was open because someone was moving their car. Why didn't the person moving the car see this guy walk in the house? A whole bunch of commenters in my local paper were former students at the same university who flat out admitted they lived in small houses with lots of people and the doors were left unlocked because someone was always getting drunk and losing their keys. It's one of the reasons why that area has a high crime rate. Partying students leaving doors wide open get robbed.

My cousin bought a beautiful million dollar townhouse in the DC area during summer. He found that other nearby townhouses were home to dozens of college kids in September. Oops.

Find out what your zoning laws are. If your local pols don't want to enforce them, tell the pols you find that very suspicious. Certainly if the pols lived there, laws would be enforced. So what could make these pols look the other way, hmmmm? (suggesting but not coming out and saying that they must be getting paid off).

You may be SOL regarding construction noise. People are allowed to upgrade their homes and yes, it can get noisy.

by Anonymousreply 6705/21/2013

R84 Yes rework your life because someone else is a jerk.

There was a similar situation near my parents' place once. The wife was sick with cancer and kids were constantly driving 4 wheelers, throwing trash out and popping off guns around the neighbors home. The poor lady would get so distraught because it scared her. Even when the cops questioned the parents about the kids activities nothing was done until they got a lawyer and threatened action against the parents. The ahd to start using a little camcorder to catch the kids in action also.

by Anonymousreply 6805/21/2013

[quote]The noise of construction is not at all muffled by ear plugs or soft background music.

That's funny. They worked for me at a System of a Down concert. It was so loud you could feel the sound waves.

by Anonymousreply 6905/21/2013

R65, because these renovations do tend to be done by Asians (and I include Southeast Asians and the Indian subcontinent.) When they are caught, they play the race card. This is one of the reasons that I asked up thread why this was permitted in his community. In many communities the Asians have argued that their culture demands that the extended family live together. They have the laws limiting the number of adults and the amount of property that can be paved over overturned on the grounds that they are racist and are in place to prevent Asians from living in the neighborhood. Of course, many of the "relatives" are no more related to the owner than I am. They are just running a boarding house.

by Anonymousreply 7005/21/2013

Really loud classical music. Worked every time for me.

Wagner or opera.

by Anonymousreply 7105/21/2013

Why does somebody keep referencing a non-existent r84?

[quote] There was a similar situation near my parents' place once. The wife was sick with cancer and kids were constantly driving 4 wheelers, throwing trash out and popping off guns around the neighbors home.

That is not a "similar situation." Kids on 4 wheelers throwing trash and popping off guns are no doubt in violation of multiple ordinances, and are not the same as somebody doing a home renovation project, which may be equally noisy, but serves a legitimate purpose.

People are allowed to renovate their homes during daylight hours. Yes, OP's neighbor sounds like a douche who rather enjoys the fact that his project is disturbing others, but he's still allowed to do it, and it will end sooner or later. In the meantime, OP can either rearrange his life a bit to make it more comfortable for himself, or he can lie there in stew in his own miserable juices because he is stubbornly convinced that the neighbor is the one who should be rearranging *his* life to suit OP.

by Anonymousreply 7305/21/2013

[quote]R84, you are quite silly. The noise of construction is not at all muffled by ear plugs or soft background music.

R66, you are quite stupid.

There is no R84 posting here yet.

The use of ear plugs and soft background music and moving to a room away from the construction will muffle the noise from the workers.

by Anonymousreply 7405/21/2013

OP first you need to determine what type of zone your neighborhood is set up as. If you're in a district that's designated as a single family district, rooming houses such as your neighbor seems to be intent on running aren't allowed.

by Anonymousreply 7505/21/2013

Oh sweet Jesus. It's construction you drama queen. Here's a clue: the world does not revolve around you.

I live in a rowhouse (every house attached on both sides the length of the street) and construction is happening next door. It's loud but not unbearable. The neighbor ran into me and apologized but I said not to worry. It's his property and he has every right to do what he wants within the law, which he is doing. The work only takes place during daylight hours. I haven't measured the decibel level but it's hammers and electric saws, not cannons and fireworks.

What's the deal about recording people and trespassing? You keep mentioning random things but not explaining them. How/when/why/where was he recording people? When/where was he trespassing? How much distance is between your house and his? To whom were you screaming "at the top of [your] lungs" three times to be heard, and how far away was the person your were screaming to? Where were you when this happened, inside or outside of your house?

Your story is heavy on drama and martyrdom, but noticeably light on actual details.

by Anonymousreply 7605/21/2013

I sympathize with you. However, I've been through much worse for years. Making noise is about social dominance. What these heterosexual males are doing is like spreading themselves out in a crowded small car. They want to control the space, they want to make your life worse, and they will go out of their way to do it. They will lose sleep to make you submit to the new environment. And because they are not afraid to make life hell for others and are supported in doing so while you just want to live your life then you are left in the situation you are in.

You really have change your mindset. You have to protect what is your's instead of passively wanting to go about your life and wanting to be "good."

You are not getting anywhere with the police because he's in the military.

by Anonymousreply 7705/21/2013

"why on Earth does it matter that the perpetrator was Asian?"

It shouldn't matter Mr. PC, perhaps I should have said he was 'an annoying immigrant speaking heavily accented English"? Is that more PC for you, guess not.

The fact IS, these new immigrants come into this country and think they can get away with anything in the pursuit of their American Dream. Most step all over longtime residents of established neighborhoods, they are as bad as hipsters!

An Indian family has put up with what is essentially their version of the Taj Mahal, it's two blocks from my co-op. These people brought three small three story apartment buildings which were on a corner, they knocked them down, now there's one massively large UGLY house there, so their entire extended family can live together.

Family members sit on one of the stoops glaring at anyone who passes their mansion, someone needs to remind this family, they do not own the STREET.

The new building is all pink concrete and grey marble with massive high steel gates, it's grotesque. They have sensors all over the place, when people walk past 'their' sidewalk, glaring lights go on!

I live in a city, not a suburb. The building is so out of place with the rest of the neighborhood's architecture. If the old buildings they bought had landmark status, we all wouldn't be looking at their monstrosity every day! The old buildings possible did have landmark status but this family most likely somehow ignored it.

by Anonymousreply 7805/21/2013

[quote] am stuck here and very sick and being assaulted with nonstop eardrum bursting noise 6-8 hours a day and this has been going on for 6 weeks and I'm losing my mind from stress and agitation and the noise and sleep deprivation at this point

Wtf?

How are you having sleep deprivation if the noise is only 6-8 hours a day? That leaves 16-18 hours a day of no noise. What are you, a cat that needs to sleep 20 hours a day?

by Anonymousreply 7905/21/2013

[quote] I live in a city, not a suburb. The building is so out of place with the rest of the neighborhood's architecture.

Don't building plans have to be approved in your city before people can start construction? If I were you I'd look into this and make sure that all of their plans were approved and all permits that were required had been obtained. If not, the city can red tag their place.

by Anonymousreply 8005/21/2013

"I wonder if the owner of the house in Hempstead, NY, where the cop shot the college student who was being held hostage by a robber, got cited for renting that house out to 5-7 girls. It was a basic, not very big one family suburban tract house"

The Asian guy who got in trouble for turning his houses into boarding houses was interviewed with his back to the news cameraman, he clearly knew what he was doing was wrong, but in his pursuit of the Almighty American Dollar, he went right on and did it anyway.

The houses were in a suburb of Long Island with what seemed like a blue collar population of white residents. Hempstead and Roosevelt Long Island now have a more mixed population, with a higher percentage of black Americans moving there since the 1970s.

Most of these blue collar areas of Long Island are filled with former Brooklynites who bought cheaply in the 1950s through 1970s.

by Anonymousreply 8105/21/2013

It's not just Asians who do that. The Russians and other Eastern European or people from the former Soviet republics do it, too. The vulgarity of new money. Hell, in my nice white, staid neighborhood, a developer has torn down a couple of lovely homes that dated back to the '30s and were in excellent condition in order to install some hideous, behemoth faux Tudor mini-mansions. They're an ugly eyesore and one sits on a relatively small corner property where a nice white brick cottage had stood. I mentioned it my next door neighbor and he cracked up. His sister and brother-in-law live on the street and the immediate neighbors are kind of pissed that such a hideous home is essentially a gateway to their street.

There was a time when people from the same family from the old country lived communally in those three story apartment buildings that got torn down to make way for the monstrosities. Brother and wife live upstairs with the kids. Uncle, Aunt and family in another unit and so on. They were probably loud, too.

by Anonymousreply 8205/21/2013

"Don't building plans have to be approved in your city before people can start construction? If I were you I'd look into this and make sure that all of their plans were approved and all permits that were required had been obtained. If not, the city can red tag their place."

I have lived in my co-op fro 20 years, I basically moved back to the neighborhood where I grew up. The Indian monstrosity was completely about 10 years ago, it's not new construction.

The noise is over, my point was, the owners act as if they own the block. They sit on their stoops Lording over the neighborhood. It's almost as if they don't want people walking past their mansion, it's a joke.

That part of the neighborhood has very old homes, some over 100 years old. There was an article in the NY Times a few years ago about an American born guy of Italian descent being offered three million for his three old rickety wooden houses which his family members still lived in, he refused.

About three blocks up from the Indian mansion and the old rickety wooden houses, is another eyesore, a huge condo, or rental, has gone up in an empty lot, I can see it from my co-op window. I guess that construction was OK-ed by the zoning commission. Another tall building is planned for that area. My area is slowing getting gentrified like every other area of NY's boroughs!

by Anonymousreply 8305/21/2013

Is it just construction noise, or loud music and other hassles too? If it's construction noise that's only done between say 9 AM and 5 PM, sounds like you're just going to have to deal with it. Or follow the steps some of the posters gave about getting some kind of resolution. Are there city laws and ordinances about construction noise at a home? Either way, sorry OP. There's nothing more stressful to me, than not being able to be at home and in a quiet space. I've dealt with loud, shitty neighbors at so many apartments (LA too). Best wishes.

by Anonymousreply 8405/21/2013

"There was a time when people from the same family from the old country lived communally in those three story apartment buildings that got torn down to make way for the monstrosities. Brother and wife live upstairs with the kids. Uncle, Aunt and family in another unit and so on. They were probably loud, too"

Yes, I am quite aware, my parents both grew up on the Lower East Side, with some family members scattered throughout the block in different buildings. The big difference was, most of these new immigrants (Asians, Indians, Russians etc) seem to have loads of money and think they can do whatever they want, they seem to have little respect for the people already living in these neighborhoods, it's all about being arrogant and thinking Americans are lazy.

Years ago, immigrants from the old country were too busy working long hours to make much noise, there were also no surround sound systems and club level speakers to annoy neighbors, also the old time immigrants were grateful to be here, they didn't really try to rock the boat like these newbies seem to take pleasure in doing.

Lots of these immigrants are very wealthy, a $350,000 co-op in my building was just paid for in cash by a young Korean couple.

by Anonymousreply 8505/21/2013

I did mention "The vulgarity of new money." in my post, R85. ;) Those Tudor monstrosities I mentioned? One of them, at least, touts a wine cellar!!! (neighbor's sister took a tour while it was on the market)

by Anonymousreply 8605/21/2013

[quote]Years ago, immigrants from the old country were too busy working long hours to make much noise, there were also no surround sound systems and club level speakers to annoy neighbors, also the old time immigrants were grateful to be here, they didn't really try to rock the boat like these newbies seem to take pleasure in doing.

I would take your post seriously if you were a native American...

by Anonymousreply 8705/21/2013

If he's breaking the law AND he's still military, call his CO and describe his behavior to him.

by Anonymousreply 8805/21/2013

[quote]protect what is your's

OH MY!

by Anonymousreply 8905/21/2013

I feel for you OP. I'm noise-sensitive myself.

Are you SURE he's violating any laws? You need to educate yourself as to exactly what the laws are regarding the particular type of noise. There likely wouldn't be a single noise ordinance that covers any and every type of noise.

Making noise during the day in the course of construction work is probably not a violation of any local noise ordinances.

He's certainly an annoying pain in the ass but unless he is violating the law there is likely nothing you can do about it.

You can put up with it until it's finished, and it will feel hellish, but sooner or later it'll be over.

Or move.

The multiple occupancy issue is another story and very easy to figure out. He might be perfectly well within his rights to do what he's doing. If what he's doing is against code, you can stop him today. It's up to you to find out for sure.

Stop calling the cops until you have learned all the relevant ordinances. You'll just be labeled a pain in the ass and they'll not be so inclined to pay you any attention.

Because you don't like what you're being told doesn't mean that they're wrong and you're right.

by Anonymousreply 9005/21/2013

R87, YOU need to STFU, did I hit a nerve?

Are you an annoying newbie immigrant?

I am not a Wasp, my ancestors had nothing to do with slavery, let alone taking land away from Native Americans.

by Anonymousreply 9205/22/2013

r59, the only mentions of construction in any of the city noise ordinances fall under the commercial property section or are restricted to city maintenance. All other noises made in residential areas are covered by the law I posted previously which he is breaking, the decibel laws which he also breaking and a few others which do not apply to the situation at all. And this is an instance of things actually being very black and white as far as right and wrong go because of how broadly written that first law is and the specifics of the decibel laws. From what I have read, he is allowed to turn this 3 bedroom house into a 5 bedroom rooming house because the regulation is up to 5 bedrooms all with their own room entrances and he is converting the railroad layout of the living room and dining room into a really claustrophobic hallway so that technically they will each have their own private door; 5 bedrooms max and private doors are apparently the only requirements. Were he not doing this conversion, there'd be a lot less noise because all that would be needed would be normal refinishing, painting, etc. The old man who used to own the place, also a vet (he had a tiny little white fluffy dog named Ferocious and his son was sex offender), did the paving of the backyard and I have no idea if it's within the legal guidelines for such and it's been that way for at least a decade and it's ugly and weird but it doesn't cause me any problems except when this asshole decides to use echoing power tools on it and play pick up sticks with metal pipes.

r60, why should I be driven out of my home because this jackass refuses to obey the law? These laws exist precisely to prevent that kind of outcome.

by Anonymousreply 9305/22/2013

Is OP dead yet? I thought the police came and did confront the offender.

by Anonymousreply 9405/22/2013

In the town I live in, loud music is allowed and it doesn't mater who complains, it won't do them any good.

by Anonymousreply 9505/22/2013

[quote] he is converting the railroad layout of the living room and dining room into a really claustrophobic hallway so that technically they will each have their own private door; 5 bedrooms max and private doors are apparently the only requirements

How do you know what's going on inside that house if you are bedridden in yours?

by Anonymousreply 9605/22/2013

r62, how would I find out if the leases he plans to give the tenants would be legal or not? I highly doubt he or his girlfriend would be in any way inclined to let me see their sample lease. And, I agree, in all likelihood it will be a revolving door situation because what sane person, college student or otherwise, can stand living with 4 other roommates some of whom will surely be having their boyfriends or girlfriends over regularly if not basically living there, too? The other end of the street is almost entirely former one family homes that have been converted into student dorms like this and the crime rate is terrible including muggings, rapes, stabbings and shootings; the cops, who are surely aware of this, didn't seem to have the brain power to compute that him converting this house into a 5 bedroom dorm was going to increase crime and seemed convinced that because he was putting work into the house that the tenants, choosing to live with 4 other roommates would be high quality people. What high quality people do you know who choose to live in that kind of dynamic?

r62, I'm suspicious that he has ties to the police force who have been instructed to look the other way because he bragged to my mother that he had already spoken to the cops (before I called them) and said they had assured him they would not apply the law to him nor bring a decibel meter out which could prove he is breaking the 3rd section of the residential noise ordinances and, then, they did refuse to enforce the law upon him, refused to use a decibel meter, refused to ask them to change where they were working, painted him as a saint for disturbing the peace and the last cop I spoke to while trying to get clarification of how things ended with the cops speaking to him was basically screaming at me while declaring he would do nothing and that the worst thing I could do was make an enemy of my neighbor. That last bit of which sounds somewhat like a threat to me. Also, it's far from uncommon for military to re-career into the police force so it would seem fairly likely for him to have at least one family member or friend on the force. No proof, just a feeling.

r75, thanks for that link.

by Anonymousreply 9705/22/2013

OP, if you are correct about the noise ordinances in your city, then pretty much any home construction/renovation that goes on must technically be illegal, because there's no way someone could do that kind of work quietly enough to avoid violating the ordinances you've cited. And practically speaking, there's no way your city is going to across-the-board prevent all home owners who have neighbors within earshot from renovating their property, no matter the hours or the circumstances, just because of some poorly written noise ordinances. So while your neighbor's activities might technically be against the law, as long as he's only doing construction 6–8 hours per day, during daylight hours, I'm sure the police will continue to look the other way, and frankly, I do not blame them; it is just not reasonable to tell someone, "sorry, you are not allowed to renovate your home in this town."

by Anonymousreply 9805/22/2013

r96, shortly after he showed up starting to do construction, someone vandalized my back door two nights in a row. I was outside inspecting the damage and puzzling over how to add a lock or latch to my back gate which is this weird old wire thing with about a foot between the post and the swinging door when I saw Quent get out of his truck which was parked on his asphalt yard and head towards the house. I said hello and introduced myself and we shot the shit briefly and he invited me in to see the work he was doing which was when he told me that he was creating five bedrooms to pack with college students.

As for my health, I am not unable to sit up or walk -- most of the time, I was confined to a wheelchair for a month and half over the winter -- but do so with pain and difficulty. And to the person who asked about my sleeping and whether I am a cat, I am only able to sleep for about 20 minutes at a time and then I'll be wide awake for anywhere from another twenty minutes to another 6 hours. I cannot take sleeping pills because they would interfere with my other medication and possibly cause my lungs to stop doing their job.

by Anonymousreply 9905/22/2013

r98, he's not being asked to not renovate the house. He's being asked to have the most basic of consideration by ceasing to use the area directly below my bedroom window as a work station. He has a very long driveway along the other side of his house, a front yard, a full basement, a 3 story house, his own house (well, his parents house where he lives)40 minutes away, the option to rent a facility, etc. as other places to do this shit rather than at the ass end of his property directly below my window. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever why he would need to set up shop right there and he has been refusing to move the crap and do the work anywhere else because he's a psychotic prick.

by Anonymousreply 10005/22/2013

Why don't college kids live in dorms anymore? I can understand kids in NYC colleges not having enough dorm space, but why are college kids in the suburbs not living in dorms? Is it the partying culture? When I went to college, kids smoked pot, drank wine, played chess and backgammon, strummed guitars and were into being mellow. Beer was for Archie Bunker and drunkenness was for rightwing jocks and fascistic fraternities. In fact, fraternities and sororities were banned from my school.

Is it that kids don't want to share one room?

by Anonymousreply 10105/22/2013

[quote] I am only able to sleep for about 20 minutes at a time and then I'll be wide awake for anywhere from another twenty minutes to another 6 hours. I cannot take sleeping pills because they would interfere with my other medication and possibly cause my lungs to stop doing their job.

This has nothing to do with your neighbor and you shouldn't take it out on him. It's not his fault you're a hypersensitive disabled insomniac who lives with his mother.

by Anonymousreply 10205/22/2013

r102, is that you Quent?

by Anonymousreply 10305/22/2013

OhPee, are you going to address any of the following:

[quote]What's the deal about recording people and trespassing? You keep mentioning random things but not explaining them. How/when/why/where was he recording people? When/where was he trespassing? How much distance is between your house and his? To whom were you screaming "at the top of [your] lungs" three times to be heard, and how far away was the person your were screaming to? Where were you when this happened, inside or outside of your house?

Hmm? Or will you continue to cherry pick the posts you respond to, while peppering your replies with distracting, unnecessary tangents? Who cares that the previous tenant had a little white dog and a sex offender for a son? Why spend an entire sentence describing your back gate when the question was about how you found out about the 5-bedroom plan? Even that was a tangent-within-a-tangent, something about your property being vandalized?

For a housebound invalid, you certainly have a lot of drama in your life.

What ailment(s) do you have, exactly? How were they diagnosed and what's the treatment? Just curious.

by Anonymousreply 10405/22/2013

R102, when a friend's son was about to start college, he bought a house and turned it into a home for five guys. The other four guys more than make the house payment so it was a real estate investment. The property is worth more than when they bought it.

My friend's reasoning was that he and his son would choose the roommates and if there was any trouble they could be on top of it.

The son is a serious student and so are all of the roommates. They have a much quieter place to study than if they lived in the dorms, and they cook for themselves instead of eating cafeteria food or junk.

by Anonymousreply 10505/22/2013

r104, I'm pretty sure I already did answer this, but: the girlfriend made an empty gesture of pretending to be open to discussing moving the machines to reduce the noise. He followed her onto my porch, uninvited, my mother asked him to leave, he refused, the girlfriend insisted on sitting outside rather than coming into the living room. He stood there silently looming over our non-conversation covertly recording me with his cellphone, she refused to move the machines, they left and while about 4 feet from my steps I saw him show her his phone and and say, "I got it." He admitted having done so to the police claiming that he was afraid I would accuse him of saying something he hadn't and the police told him to never do that again to anyone.

by Anonymousreply 10605/22/2013

[quote]he's not being asked to not renovate the house. He's being asked to have the most basic of consideration by ceasing to use the area directly below my bedroom window as a work station.

Is it clear to the cops that this is all you want your neighbor to do? Because it sounds as though you're just calling them and saying, "my neighbor is violating noise ordinances; make him stop."

by Anonymousreply 10705/22/2013

r105, that's nice but you have no idea whether the neighbors living next to these kids think it's as great a set up as the kids do. I'm gonna bet not unless they, too, are college kids. And I don't trust the judgment of a guy who leaves his trash cans out on the curb for two week stretches, intentionally uses heavy machinery where he knows it's disturbing sick people, bullies old women, covertly records people against their wishes and has only met his neighbors because they've had to confront him about code violations to choose nice, quiet tenants. All he's interested in is making as much money as he can off the house which is why he is converting the living room and dining room into additional bedrooms; he would surely have split at least one of the actual bedrooms into two if the law allowed more than 5 bedrooms in a boarding house.

by Anonymousreply 10805/22/2013

r107, yes, this has been made explicitly clear to the police. They seemed denser than any cops I've had to deal with before, but eventually they seemed to finally understand this. He is being asked to move the crap away from my window and do his work in any other location. He is refusing. They are refusing to enforce the law.

by Anonymousreply 10905/22/2013

Lived next to a guy who rented his house out and crammed college students into it and had non stop parties. This went on for four years, no matter how many times the police were called, the parties just did not stop regardless of the obivious drug activity going on (10 cars, plus a car that looked like it was worth more than the house its sitting in the driveway/front lawn of, yes that was a red flag). They only stopped when the guy sold the house to a developer and it was leveled. The cops don't give a damn or and are on the take imo.

You might just have to endure it or find a new place to live.

by Anonymousreply 11105/22/2013

Why are you humoring this troll. Move, or fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 11205/22/2013

[quote]He is being asked to move the crap away from my window and do his work in any other location. He is refusing. They are refusing to enforce the law.

Well, he is certainly being a jerk for not moving his workstation away from your window -- but if the law he is breaking is making too much noise, he'll still be breaking it another location, no?

by Anonymousreply 11305/22/2013

Did you explain it to the police as well as you explained it to us? o.0

by Anonymousreply 11405/22/2013

[quote]The noise is over, my point was, the owners act as if they own the block. They sit on their stoops Lording over the neighborhood. It's almost as if they don't want people walking past their mansion, it's a joke.

This sounds more like your problem. "Lording"? Please. People can sit on their stoops and make all the faces they want.

OP - what exactly is the nature of your illness?

by Anonymousreply 11505/22/2013

All the more reason why you and your neighbors need to acquaint yourselves with your town board, R108. Attend meetings. Write letters. Not email, [italic] letters /italic] with your name and address and an envelope and stamp. Clear, concise letters; no whining, no talk of fence gates, garbage cans, sick mother, his girlfriend or covert recordings. Just the facts that could relate to ordinance violations.

by Anonymousreply 11605/22/2013

[italic] close italic [/italic]

by Anonymousreply 11705/22/2013

[italic] italic [/italic] close

by Anonymousreply 11805/22/2013

[quote]the cops, who are surely aware of this, didn't seem to have the brain power to compute that him converting this house into a 5 bedroom dorm was going to increase crime

OP, either it's legal for the guy to convert his house into a 5 bedroom or its not. If it IS legal, then it doesn't matter whether or not the cops think it's a crappy idea; they still have to let him do it.

[quote] and seemed convinced that because he was putting work into the house that the tenants, choosing to live with 4 other roommates would be high quality people. What high quality people do you know who choose to live in that kind of dynamic?

It is really not a very unusual way for college students to live, OP.

by Anonymousreply 11905/22/2013

I agree with R116. Get your neighbors together and complain to whoever is giving out those permits. Someone in my brother's neighborhood was building an eyesore and the neighbors got together and fought him on every single thing they could. Eventually eyesore guy ran out of money.

by Anonymousreply 12005/22/2013

I'm amazed that this type of abuse is going on in the U.S. It sounds more like something that would happen in a third world shithole like Venezuela

by Anonymousreply 12105/22/2013

[quote]I'm amazed that this type of abuse is going on in the U.S. It sounds more like something that would happen in a third world shithole like Venezuela

r121 has obviously never been to Cincinnati.

by Anonymousreply 12205/22/2013

[/italic] ok

by Anonymousreply 12305/22/2013

Just crank up your radio to WKRP!

by Anonymousreply 12405/22/2013

[quote] This went on for four years, no matter how many times the police were called, the parties just did not stop regardless of the obivious drug activity going on (10 cars, plus a car that looked like it was worth more than the house its sitting in the driveway/front lawn of, yes that was a red flag

Did you contribute to your local congressional representative's campaign? That's what really matters. Be a contributor and then write your congress rep. "Dear So and So, I am a supporter of your campaigns of 2008, 2010 and 2012. I voted for you and asked friends and family to vote for you because I believe you are a man/woman of the people who looks out for little guys like me. For example, in my neighborhood right now, we have to frequently call police and notify the zoning board that the house at 1313 Mockingbird Lane is overcrowded, violates zoning laws and noise ordinances and is suspected of having drug dealings. ....

Blah, blah, blah, police seem unable or unwilling to address the problem but I know you, who represents the little guy like me, might help with this problem of flagrant lawbreaking in your district so that constituents quality of life is respected.."

Also attend town board meetings and when they have elections, question the people running for town office. "If a voter wanted protection from unscrupulous landlords who operate unsafe, overcrowded housing where drug dealing might be taking place, would you be willing to make sure police enforce existing laws on the books or would you tend to ignore that type of situation? I'm looking for a candidate to support."

It's all local politics. Get in on it.

by Anonymousreply 12505/22/2013

[quote]OP - what exactly is the nature of your illness?

After reading this...

[quote]Were he not doing this conversion, there'd be a lot less noise because all that would be needed would be normal refinishing, painting, etc. The old man who used to own the place, also a vet (he had a tiny little white fluffy dog named Ferocious and his son was sex offender), did the paving of the backyard and I have no idea if it's within the legal guidelines for such and it's been that way for at least a decade and it's ugly and weird but it doesn't cause me any problems except when this asshole decides to use echoing power tools on it and play pick up sticks with metal pipes.

... I start to wonder if ADD is part of the equation.

by Anonymousreply 12605/23/2013

Perhaps the OP is on SSI for a mental illness.

by Anonymousreply 12705/23/2013

There is so much drama associated with the OP that I believe she must be a lesbian.

I'm betting one of the OP's illnesses will be the obligatory panic attacks. Perhaps depression and suicidal ideation, BPD and SAD.

by Anonymousreply 12805/23/2013

fibromyalgia

by Anonymousreply 12905/23/2013

r110, I've called them exactly once about the problem with Q. The neighbor who is active in these neighborhood meetings is the one who threatened him about his garbage cans sitting on the curb for two weeks at a time; he seems to treat calling in code violations on neighbors as some kind of hobby.

And many of the rest of you seem to have serious reading comprehension problems as you claim to be unable to follow the fairly straight forward narrative of GUY BUYS HOUSE -> GUY BREAKS LAW -> COPS REFUSE TO ENFORCE LAW and continue to ask me questions which have already been answered within this thread.

And, nope, I am neither a lesbian nor do I have any of the conditions you mockingly suggested I have. It is interesting, however, that were I female or had an illness you do not approve of that you feel this would somehow validate the police refusing to enforce the law and the guy next door to continue breaking it as though only some people, those of your choosing, are valuable enough to be protected from wrong doing and as though you would be perfectly content to have someone banging a sledgehammer next to your head for 8 hours a day for 6 weeks to 3.5 months while you have what I can only approximate as the worst flu of your life and all your limbs broken.

I'm going to make a wild guess, however, that many of you are terrible, inconsiderate neighbors who have delighted in torturing, bullying and menacing the people who live next to you and take delight in finding that no authority can seem to bother making the effort to stop you.

For the other posters, they have not placed any machinery nor set up saw horse work stations beneath the window since the cops were here. I, also, have not heard them toss pipes across the asphalt. They're still making a lot of noise, but the sledgehammer and electric saw seems to have been relocated to their driveway and they haven't used whatever that earsplitting machine was since the incident on Monday. We'll see how things progress. My mother is waiting to hear back from the husband of that couple with the baby regarding scheduling a meeting about Q and his plan to stuff the building with undergrads. I still feel that there's another shoe waiting to be dropped, but hope to be proven wrong.

by Anonymousreply 13005/24/2013

Oh and the idea about actually changing the boarding house law sounds great to me and I will raise it with the others. I think it will be a nearly impossible sell given that so many of the homes in the neighborhood, although not this particular pocket of the area, have already been converted and are being used for student housing already. However, there has been a ton of construction lately putting up buildings designed to be student apartments and most of these are sitting empty which I'm guessing the people who poured millions into building them aren't thrilled about. So, if there were a way to get the developers of these units on board, I'm sure they'd love to essentially force the kids who want to live near campus to live in their properties rather than in the old houses. I'll look into finding out who owns and built them.

by Anonymousreply 13105/24/2013

This is what you do

by Anonymousreply 13205/24/2013

On the topic of huge, out-of-place mansions, the Ugly Persian Houses blog is no longer working but you can still see it archived at link. I've seen several of these tasteless wonders under construction in Burbank.

by Anonymousreply 13305/24/2013

Update: I went out to my car for the first time since the incident on Monday and Quent or a member of his gang had placed an old, rusty nail with paint still on the head directly behind my right front tire with the point facing the tire and lined up perfectly in with the middle of the tire. I'm sure the nail could be easily matched to others they've pulled from the house while rehabbing, but I have no way to prove they put it there. I checked just out of common sense and suspicion that they would do something like this. Had I not checked, the tire would have been punctured and in worse case scenarioland could have exploded while I was on the highway killing me and others. With no way to prove they placed it there, however, there seems no point in reporting it. To use a nail which can be easily identified as coming from their house seems completely moronic to me, but I guess there are no IQ tests to join the marines. I haven't decided whether it would be worth while to get a security camera to catch them if they try it again. What do you think?

by Anonymousreply 13405/24/2013

[quote]I'm amazed that this type of abuse is going on in the U.S.

What type of "abuse"? Construction? Home improvement? Making noise louder than birds singing?

OP sounds far more addled than ADD. The weird asides are so bizarre, yet we still don't know what incapacitates a 32 year old to the point of being housebound. The constant dancing around that topic while obsessively shoe-horning weird little tangents into the story is just fishy and smacks of obfuscation. The former neighbor's little white dog named ferocious, the sex offender son, the mysterious vandalism, the wonky back gate, the movers who broke all his shit, the weird little guy down the street who lives to report code violations, the garbage cans being left out for weeks (mentioned multiple times--LET IT GO), the obsession with who might or might not be a veteran, the real estate mogul of a mom who owns two houses and lives across the street with her partner....Jesus H. Christ that's a lot of drama for someone who can't even leave the house!

I think the disability is more mental than anything else.

by Anonymousreply 13505/24/2013

Thanks, r132

by Anonymousreply 13605/24/2013

OP, the description of what the guy did in R132's post is all you need. Get busy doing what he did instead of whining.

by Anonymousreply 13705/24/2013

r135, what is it you find so dramatic about an old gate and an ironically named do? In what world does a woman who owns two houses become a real estate mogul? Is mentioning that two people involved in the situation served in the military an obsession? You seem to be the one with the flair for the dramatic. And there are thousands of illnesses, some of which I'm sure you even know the names of, which can and do cripple people of any age. You're an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 13805/24/2013

r137, you don't seem to understand what the word "whining" means.

by Anonymousreply 13905/24/2013

So, Amanda Bynes lives in your building, OP?

by Anonymousreply 14005/24/2013

OP @ R138: I'm wondering what all that superfluous nonsense has to do with your actual problem(s), and why you're so free with unimportant, unrelated and distracting details, but can't quite explain what your actual disability is.

In short: your story is beyond fishy and you sound nuts.

by Anonymousreply 14105/24/2013

OP, you sound like a quivering mess and [R135] is right, something sounds fishy about all of this...

[quote] Had I not checked, the tire would have been punctured and in worse case scenarioland could have exploded while I was on the highway killing me and others. With no way to prove they placed it there, however, there seems no point in reporting it. To use a nail which can be easily identified as coming from their house seems completely moronic to me

by Anonymousreply 14205/24/2013

R142, I have no difficulty believing that the nail incident happened. It has happened to me and some friends. The issue this part:

[quote] in worse case scenarioland could have exploded while I was on the highway killing me and others.

Uh, no. You get a slow leak, the tire starts doing that tha-wump, tha-wump sound, and you pull to the side of the road. OP is really being a drama queen.

Scenarioland sounds like the perfect description for this thread. Gee, maybe William Finn can set it to music.

by Anonymousreply 14305/24/2013

[quote]Had I not checked, the tire would have been punctured and in worse case scenarioland could have exploded while I was on the highway killing me and others.

Well, that seals it. OP is either deeply mentally ill--hysterical personality disorder with ADD (as previously noted) and depressive elements--or a troll.

by Anonymousreply 14405/24/2013

R143, I'd have no difficulty believing any of these anecdotes individually, but stringing them all together in one mess of a convoluted narrative, parceling them out in dribs and drabs, constantly adding new details, mentioning weird shit in passing, like vandalism or trespassing, without explaining fully (or at all) combined with the dubious mystery ailment that apparently defies explanation, PLUS all the silly asides about fluffy dogs, sex offender sons, broken back gates, who might or might not be a veteran in cahoots with the cops...no. This is soap opera shit, someone's creative writing hobby. No one's life is this dramatic.

And on top of all of it, if you strip away the subjective descriptions of the neighbor being a douche, all we have is someone complaining about construction noise during daylight hours. A hassle, an annoyance, not a pleasant situation by any means, but it's tempory and just part of how we live. People live close by, and houses need construction, repair and renovating. Homeowners are allowed to make changes to their property within the law, which, to an objective reader with critical thinking skills, it sounds like the neighbor is doing.

If you don't like living in a neighborhood filled with college students and weird neighbors, move. OP sounds like he'd be better off in the country with no neighbors nearby.

by Anonymousreply 14505/24/2013

R144, I would vote for troll except that a neighbor did something very like this. She's disabled and is on a whopping daily dose of oxycontin, which is likely to be the reason for her coherence issues.

She had an argument over a parking dispute with a large, mean, drunk and stupid neighbor. He pushed her and she landed on the ground, her son hit him and they simultaneously called the police.

She was in the right and probably had a case, but partway through her long winding tale that never got to the point of her complaint, the cops' eyes were glazed over. They left after warning both of them.

by Anonymousreply 14605/24/2013

Meant "histrionic" not "hysterical" but you get the idea.

by Anonymousreply 14705/24/2013

Have none of you ever actually had a tire explode from a puncture? I have. On the PA Turnpike. The person who was driving lost complete control of the car. Had there been more traffic at that exact moment, we would have slammed into them.

How does giving you details of the situation make the story "fishy"? Are you used to reading technical manuals?

It's none of your fucking business what I'm sick with. I just got back from seeing my doctor and that's the only person who needs to know. The details of my health are not the topic of this thread; my being in ill health is a detail of this situation only because it limits my options for extricating myself from this situation. Believe whatever you please, but the reality is that they put a nail behind my front right tire in the hopes of puncturing it, they're inconsiderate creeps who get off on causing hassles for other people, they lied to the cops both about being on my porch and where they were using their equipment and Q admitted to covertly recording me and to his plans of turning the neighborhood into a dangerous shit hole by converting the house into a boarding house.

by Anonymousreply 14805/24/2013

[quote]It's none of your fucking business what I'm sick with. [bold]I just got back from seeing my doctor and that's the only person who needs to know.[/bold]

Right there--so much extraneous detail.

by Anonymousreply 14905/24/2013

Yep. Mental illness.

by Anonymousreply 15005/24/2013

[quote] to his plans of turning the neighborhood into a dangerous shit hole by converting the house into a boarding house.

And--more proof of OP's histrionic nature.

by Anonymousreply 15105/24/2013

I wonder if OP now regrets asking someone to start this thread!

by Anonymousreply 15205/24/2013

[quote]Have none of you ever actually had a tire explode from a puncture? I have. On the PA Turnpike. The person who was driving lost complete control of the car. Had there been more traffic at that exact moment, we would have slammed into them.

You might want to add clairvoyant to the OP's qualities. Unless, the person driving car stopped by the side of the road amidst the trauma to tell OP that it was indeed that nail he shouldnta left in the tire. Or unless the State Troopers stopped cleaning up the road and directing traffic to tell OP. "Yep. It was the nail that did it."

OP doesn't seem to understand how blow outs at high velocity occur.

by Anonymousreply 15305/24/2013

[quote]OP doesn't seem to understand how blow outs at high velocity occur.

I'm thinking that might be the least of OP's problems.

by Anonymousreply 15405/24/2013

OP, how's the little dog named Ferocious these days?

by Anonymousreply 15505/26/2013

As we speak, Ferocious is nipping and biting at the tires of OPs car hoping that a little damage goes a long way. Right, Fer?

by Anonymousreply 15605/26/2013

[quote]No one's life is this dramatic.

Except D-R's.

by Anonymousreply 15705/26/2013

[quote]The other end of the street is almost entirely former one family homes that have been converted into student dorms like this and the crime rate is terrible including muggings, rapes, stabbings and shootings;

Umm... so what kind of college is this, exactly?

I'm from Boston. Plenty of neighborhoods are near colleges and plenty of "boarding houses" populate those neighborhoods. The crimes you list are not prevalent among college kids.

The crimes that increase in college kid neighborhoods are noise violations on weekends, pot smoking (which no one cares about) and illegally parked cars.

I'm going to have to go with mental illness for the OP. It's too bad her neighbors and the cops have to put up with her loony shit. They're the ones who should start something up with local pols to get the OP to stop harassing them.

by Anonymousreply 15805/26/2013

update?

by Anonymousreply 15905/29/2013

I think if you look at statistics, college neighborhoods have high crime statistics.

by Anonymousreply 16005/29/2013

Here's a recent case where the cops did act -- maybe OP is in custody?

by Anonymousreply 16105/30/2013

Bumping for more updates from the OP!

by Anonymousreply 16205/30/2013

Has anyone found Quent on Facebook? Would love to see some shirtless or feets pics!

by Anonymousreply 16305/30/2013

Quent throws a mean fuck but he always makes his partner cum. Standup guy that way.

by Anonymousreply 16405/30/2013

Still want an update, OP!

by Anonymousreply 16506/13/2013

OP, this is Ferocious. You know what I'll do if you don't update.

by Anonymousreply 16607/06/2013

Okay, OP, in short: sucks to be you. I think a lot of people with your health situation - and I feel very badly for you - would be equally frustrated. You have to consider, it IS at least better than being in a nursing home or assisted living center; I have been in the latter (3 years) and know whereof I speak.

I wonder if, down the road, selling the house (your mother's call?) and moving into an apartment somewhere, that might at least be more regulated, would be better.

No, you shouldn't have to be driven out of your home, I agree, but the burglary ought to give you some pause. Life is the way it is, not the way it should be.

(I live unhappily in a small town of rednecks who are okay till you push them. And the fucking cop pieces of shit back THEM up. Have to deal with reality, I'm sorry to say.)

by Anonymousreply 16707/06/2013

I read your topic, while searching for solution for hacking and hijackers. Mostly I have Some problems of inconvenience, it is occurring in daily life. While not getting injuries daily. But usually scares of going out and stay safe. In old days political leaders solve this problem, now days it need to solve with help of media and education. According to post, try to contact media or print notices and pamphlets and inform other neighbours about it. I have lots of issues, related to community, which I can live but can't do anything to make my life better. Also see doctor or look newspapers and read editors sections. Goto school and find teacher for help, or look for housing support in which you can get help while you are in trouble. Keep calling police. Eat healthy. Read health magazine. Do exercises, walking, or running, etc. Do recreational activities.

by Anonymousreply 16802/19/2014

This might help a little.

by Anonymousreply 16902/19/2014

If you live in Florida, just go in and shoot the place up. Then, if you get caught, claim someone pointed a guy out the window at you, and you were just "standing your ground". But you have to be white to get "off", otherwise you'll get "the chair".

by Anonymousreply 17002/20/2014

Call the cops on him after hours if you can. I stepped into my neighbor politely (my 180lbs verses his 3oo+) and called the cops on him when he wouldn't stop playing loud music at night.

Granted, I went over there and got in his face beforehand. (legally and cordially and what not). But one visit from the police took care of everything.

Not to say that you can't, but I can be very stern and intimidating.

our kids play together now.

by Anonymousreply 17102/20/2014

I'm in LA and I didn't read all the responses, so sorry if this is a repeat. I lived in a cool area surrounded by assholes. Whenever a party got too loud, I would call the police - front desk or dispatch - not 911 and tell them that I THOUGHT there was gang activity and I THOUGHT I saw a gun.

There are very specific laws (at least here) about decibel levels, and the party assholes get one chance. After that, their equipment gets impounded.

It worked for me like a charm. Every time.

by Anonymousreply 17202/20/2014

I love you R172.

by Anonymousreply 17302/20/2014

Hilarious, R172. I had to call the cops once on something similar and discovered the same thing. Had a GI flip the house next door to me a couple years ago, and I got flat tires twice from their roofing nails and a little damage to some guttering, all of which I chalked up to them just being really bad at doing their own repairs.

Until one day I went to leave and found them all standing drunk with vodka bottles in their hands in the middle of the street, one of the guys making a crack, "What are you gonna do, call the cops on us again?" They wouldn't move so I couldn't get my car out, so I DID call the cops, and once I mentioned one guy had vodka in one hand and a nail gun in the other, they were there in less than two minutes.

BUT in my case, some crazy neighbor had been calling the cops constantly on the GI and his friends for making repairs, and they wrongly assumed it was me and had been getting "revenge." OP sounds like the crazy neighbor, and it's hard for me to feel much sympathy.

by Anonymousreply 17402/20/2014
Need more help? Click Here.